Float Reviews

Float

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

Excellent for easy Project Scheduling

Excellent !!!

Pros

I am using float for almost 2 years not and I am in love with it!! It made my life easy when I am working on multiple projects with easy navigation, clean design and easy to understand interface. The reporting tool in float is an excellent tool to get an insight of billability plus more for whole workforce. Export feature allows to easily export whole data in CSV format for further analysis. Notification also serves a useful purpose which notifies user through the app or email when a change is made or new item being added. I highly recommend Float for managing projects, scheduling and resources.

Cons

Nothing as of now as it has all essentials features inbuilt.

Simple and concise

Really positive. Im not very good at organisation and having a tool that simplifies this makes my work days much easier.

Pros

As a pretty basic user of Float. It really suffices for all my needs of tracking when and which project I should be working on. The ease of planned working day to a day off is really great. Also, the functionality of simply dragging a block across the necessary days/weeks is really great!

Cons

Sometimes PM's book too many hours into the day - when on multiple projects with multiple PM's. Im not sure if they get a big red warning to say 'hey, I dont think this person wants to work a 16 hour day' but that could be helpful. Other than that, nothing to note.

Hi Andrew, Thanks so much for your review! There is a visual indicator (in red) that shows when a team member has been booked over capacity. If you have any feedback on this, please feel free to email support@float.com, we'd love to hear. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Very useful but it takes some time to learn how to use it

Pros

My favourite feature of this software is the fact that everyone can customise how the app looks like. I can sort data exactly how I want and make it more useful for myself.

Cons

At the beginning splitting and moving tasks can be a quite hideous job. Especially in the environment where we have many changes during the week, it can be difficult to keep track on everything.

Does exactly what I need it to do

Im able to easily schedule many people and if I need to reassign a task to someone else, thats very easy to do.

Pros

I like how I can go from day to day, week to week Month to Month etc very easily. I like that I can make the calendar. I like that it keeps the name of the Tasks in the history, very useful when assigning multiple people to the same task. and the fact its a shared calendar that updates in real time for the most part.

Cons

I don't like the how an assignment can easily be deleted (when I didn't mean to) I wish there was was something that popped up that asked "was I sure" Also, it doesn't appear the people who are read only cannot see the comments that are initially put in under a task.

Lifesaver! Great tool for scheduling across multiple teams and offices

Pros

I've been using float for almost a year now. It has made SUCH a difference in allowing our teams to be able to track where and when individuals are working from home/out of office/on holiday on a simple and unified platform. The tool is also incredibly user-friendly and makes it easy for anyone to be able to use it on a day to day basis.

Cons

Nothing major comes to mind about the tool that I dislike particularly. With that said, some potential improvements could include: - Allowing you to drag and drop to copy a schedule from one person to another, instead of just relocating it - A way to see notes on a project by just hovering over the icon rather than clicking on it

Great schedule managing program

Our business model is based on many freelancers filling in different jobs/positions. The program helps is organizing many people's different, ever-changing schedules.

Pros

What I appreciate most about Float is the ability to connect multiple team members to use a synced, scheduling program. Multiple team members use the program and, being part of the management team, it's easy and beneficial to seeing everyone's schedule at a given time.

Cons

I think the one thing missing that stands out is the ability to undo a specific action, especially in the case something is a project or team member is deleted. We ran into a situation where a team member accidentally was deleted, but we were able to re-input his data/schedule. It was fine, but it would have been easier if there was the ability to undo the action. Other than that, the program is working swimmingly for our needs.

Efficient and helpful

It helps easily keep track of what we have to do and what we've done. It joins together to do list and schedule, which is really nice to save time. And also very useful to see what colleagues are working on and if they're available.

Pros

The ease of scheduling tasks, being able to duplicate them throughout the weeks, and also the reports of time spent, overtime, etc.

Cons

Nothing, it's all pretty good and smooth to use.

Float Review

Determining the workload spread across a range of employees

Pros

Ease of use and easy to understand format and layout across large amounts of time

Cons

Adding hours and hours per day - the difference can be confusing

Float

I love the mobile app for Float which enables me to always know when something has been added to my schedule. As a contractor I am unable to receive emails on my personal phone so having the Float app allows me to stay in touch just in case something gets added to my schedule at the last minute.

Pros

I am an end user of Float. It allows me to see my schedule and my co-workers. I am able to keep up with locations of both myself and my co-workers at all times

Cons

My project manager makes all the changes in Float. However, she is amazing; therefore there is no need for me to do anything inside the software. So, I have not had a whole lot of experience working inside the software. I only know the end use which is extremely helpful.

Great app for coordinating our company!

Pros

Our team uses this software to coordinate multiple aspects of our client's campaigns, assuring everything is happening on time. We are able to see how things are coordinating from a high level, and also focus in on tasks for our department specifically. We love Float!

Cons

Reflecting events that take place on the weekend can be a little cumbersome. It's doable, it just takes a couple more steps than it would typically.

Pros

Not only you can keep track of what you have to do on a daily basis, but also on what has been done.

Cons

It's not easy to navigate through time, zoom out, in, and to find "today" once you lost it.

Great for on the fly scheduling

It's been very good for our consultants

Pros

Easy edits, flexible moving things around and visibility

Cons

Doesn't integrate with time sheets, could maybe use a bit more functionality

Float- A User's Prospective

I am a new user, but so far Its very easy to use, and at a glance I can manage my assigned projects and obtain much needed information.

Pros

the text-to-white space ratio; the UX is not cluttered; easy to navigate-the first time I opened the software, I knew where to go to find the information I needed because it is very intuitive.

Cons

The information is only as good as what's entered, so I'd like to make certain if not all fields mandatory. For example; when you click on a project a new window appears- All of the information regarding the project should be required. Also, the grayed out sections of a team members schedule- you could list the project there in a faint color.

Works well

Pros

It is intuitive and easy to use. It has allowed for better communication with my manager and colleagues in order to keep the many parts moving in a complex, long-term project.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about the features I use. I would like to start using more of the features in the future.

The best resource management software I've used

Float does a great job coordinating resource allocation among multiple projects in a visual and seamless way.

Pros

1. I can search by name of the teammate or the project 2. I can create a report of scheduled hours based on any period of time 3. Clicking on the report tab automatically picks up the project at which I'm looking at now in the scheduling tab 4. Editing allocations is easy

Cons

1. Load slowly for organizations of 100+ teammates 2. Once, when it asked me to reload to get the new version, then it stopped working

A user's honest review of Float... one year later

Team management. The main benefit for me is to, at one glance, be able to see team availability for task scheduling. It makes my job easier to hand out tasks and see who is low on workload.

Pros

Ease of use and functionality. The fact that this software is specifically designed to fulfil a task.

Cons

Overall very good. Nothing is bad and nothing that I really do not like. I am not familiar with the price structure and never required follow up service, so I cannot comment on those two items.

Great for consulting firm

We were using a shared google sheet and it just got more and more complex and unusable, so I went serching for an alternate solution. Float really helped us visualize our schedule across multiple clients and team members. It also has simple reports on utilization which used to take quite a bit of time.

Pros

It’s easy to use. Provides a high level view of staffing for a 20 person firm.

Cons

I wish I could see a longer view just showing weeks. I wish we could better customize views by team members. I’d like the reminder emails be further out than 2 weeks.

Good software on Float

Overall, a great software that does the job - but could be more useful and embedded into customers work life with some added features like to-do lists and other planning functionalities.

Pros

I've always liked using this app. It's super easy to use, I can access it on my phone too. I really like the fact that I can see other team member schedules as well as my own. It would be amazing if you could build into Float and add the function to do have your own to-do lists. I think it would go great with the scheduling/planning features of the software.

Cons

Sometimes it can be frustrating when I've been double/over booked for something and I can't reject/appeal/flag the booking in my schedule. It would be nice if I had more flexibility and control over my own schedule without PM's being able to book in whatever they please.

Float user - Irvine

I'm really not behind the scenes so what I use it for it's a great time management system.

Pros

It's simple to update, edit, and use. I can look to see what my co-workers are working on without bothering them.

Cons

I add projects to keep track of time work on each job. If there is a duplicate I would like to be informed.

Simple resourcing

Pros

Float gives our full team a simple, visual view of resourcing and availability - much more 'at-a-glanceable' than hacked together gCals and other non-specialised tools we've used in the past.

Cons

It's a little lacking when it comes to flexible accounting of leave - a lot of our team take half days for personal appointments and the like - but we're only able to mark entire days in the calendar. While it's better than it was before, it still leads to confusion.

Float keeps us profitable!

Float keeps us organized, on task, and our project manager can quickly understand how close we are to capacity on projects, when we can start new projects, etc. It's easy to use and an essential tool for our small team!

Pros

Super easy to learn/use, easy to drag and drop assignments from one person to another, keeps us on task which means we can be more profitable!

Cons

I think the mobile UX could be better. As an owner, I'm out and about a lot, and would like a better experience when viewing Float on my phone.

Great product and ease of use

Great experience. Our team likes this product.

Pros

Its ease of use and assigning the work schedule is more flexible. Updating the work schedule is possible on timely basis.

Cons

The feature around jira integration which is missing, everytime you have to check jira and then create a task in float.

Hi Sourabh, Thanks so much for your review! We recently released an integration with Jira that syncs your issues into a sidebar in Float, so you can directly drag and drop them onto your schedule. No more double handling! Feel free to read the support article here, https://www.float.com/blog/sync-and-schedule-with-our-new-jira-integration. If you have any questions please reach out to us at support@float.com.

Float Review

I love using Float! I had to convince my managers to hop on board but once I provided a tutorial everyone jumped on board. Staff comes to me and asks who is available in a week to help with something and I can very quickly say go to person A, they have availability. I no longer have to talk to my boss and my other project managers to check someone's availability and I can easily solve staffing challenges. Float is exactly what I needed for my department.

Pros

Float doesn't get mixed up with trying to provide so many options that it becomes unusable. When I was evaluating software this is what I found everywhere. I needed help visualizing what my employees are working on and that is exactly what Float provides. It is easy to use and you can put as little or as much information in as you want. Even with the tiniest amount of data you get to see everyone's schedules.

Cons

I don't actually think it's the software but I think it's my internet browser.. Sometimes it is hard for me to scroll through my employees and look at the schedule. Again though, I don't think it's the software but my firefox browser causing the issue... I know, I know, switch to chrome already.. I just don't want too.

Deceptively Simple

Pros

Colorful and organized interface. Drag and drop functionality.

Cons

Confusing to see who else is on my team when working on a project.

float - Great for resource planning!

We use float to keep an overview of free resources (Consultants) for project staffing. It is easy to identify wholes in the schedule and find people for short term ad-hoc projects.

Pros

We use the zapier integration to connect float to salesforce. This is how we automatically have our salesforce projects in float.

Cons

We plan about 160 resources and have well over 2000 projects. Sometimes float gets pretty flow and the scheduling takes a while becuase of the auto complete feature.