Float Reviews

Float

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

Float

One of the best solution for growing our business

This year we doubled our team, and we ran into a problem managing our resources. Our management team could not manage all the people and projects, so we decided to organize the resources and teams with a resource management app in paralell with a pm tool. We started using Float, and selected Tuesday as our resource meeting day. All of our employees use this tool to check what we planned for them for the next few days / weeks.

Pros

Float is an easy to use online application to organize your business resources. You can add clients and projects, you can differentiate them with different colors. While you are creating tasks you can also add descriptions to them. You can also create reports.

Cons

How we use it at my company, I see no disadvantages or any bad parts of Float. Only works days setup confused us, as we cannot preset those saturdays which are work days.

Float in aa digitl agency

Very good, easy to use, fast to learn, lot of functions.

Pros

The customer journey is really good. You have a good overall view, scheduling is easy, the design view is great, reporting is easy and everything comes initially so you are really fast in knowing how to use it. Overall functions are good as well.

Cons

Takes a lot of time if you are operating in small tasks with for example 1h or 2h tasks. I am missing an easy tracking function for paid work and non-paid work. You can tag a project as billable, but i would love to have the opportunity for every single task to chose if its billable or not.

Helped to automate manual plans

I like using it and has sped up the process of blocking out rough plans and assigning weeks work to the team

Pros

The interface is very easy to use and onboard the team onto. It automated a lot of the manual entries we used to do across various schedules.

Cons

It would be handy to be able to make placeholder buckets for people where work hasn't yet been confirmed - at the time of writing it's only possible to plan alternative streams of work for a person by utilising a new track (paid license)

Hi Naalia, Thanks for your review! It is possible to create tentative projects and tasks on your Float schedule. We have a support article available here, https://support.float.com/en/articles/28963-create-a-tentative-project. If you have any other questions or feedback, please email us at support@float.com. We'd love to hear! Cheers, Siobhan

Great and easy to use scheduling and project time tracking tool

Our benefits include visibility and ease of reporting, especially for customers, who pay on hour basis.

Pros

I tested like 15+ tools, and FLOAT was the only one allowing me to set specific hours for the tasks! All other tools only allow to instruct the team member to work 3 hours on certain date on Project X without instructing the user when exactly to do it. This might not seem a lot, but allows to combine time scheduling with calendar. It is extremely easy to use the tool, and reporting works (almost) great, allowing for CSV export. With the tool I can report to management and clients who, for how many hours, what tasks have completed under certain projects.

Cons

There is no gantt chart view of the projects (not big deal for me, but some colleagues miss it). There is no way, or at least I can't find a way to set custom report date range. The options are last year, this week, today, etc., but there is no way to set a period from 5 May 2017 to 10 Jan 2019. So far it is not an issue, as we've been using FLOAT for several months, but I'm not sure how I'll make reports in the future...

Solid, straight forward tool for resource scheduling

Float is a great tool for us to quickly run through resource allocations across projects. It's intuitive and uncomplicated, which means we can conduct a resourcing meeting in under 30 minutes and get back to billable work.

Pros

Float is great for planning out upcoming weeks of tasks across multiple individuals. We do weekly planning using this tool to make sure all team members are properly allocated.

Cons

Since Float doesn't have timekeeping capabilities, it's only half the solution we need. We use a separate timekeeping tool (Harpoon), so we have to transcribe our daily tasks between tools. This also means that Float doesn't have the data necessary to compare allocated hours versus actual hours, so the reporting features aren't useful to us. That said, it does resourcing allocations simply and effectively, so it's worth the inconvenience.

A great tool for our team

Pros

My favourite thing about Float is that it inserts your time bookings into your time logging for you so you can focus on what the difference was between projected, and actual time.

Cons

The public holidays tend to be a little dated (I'm based in Australia).

Easy to use tool

I've had a good experience with Float and it's allowed us to easily view what we have scheduled and be able to bill our time to our clients effectively. It's quick and easy to use which is all we really need for this type of software.

Pros

It's easy to use and allows myself and the rest of the team I work with to effectively plan and organise our work load and be able to show our clients our availability for new projects.

Cons

It can be a little bit clunky to reorganise tasks once booked in and the reports can be a bit confusing to understand however I don't use it extensively enough to have any other element to dislike.

Excellent tool with great reporting

Pros

Ease of use and clear, concise reporting

Cons

Could be improved with the addition of a live time tracking timer

Great for high-level, low-detail team scheduling

Float provides a nice, simple to use, top-level view of the company schedule.

Pros

Ease of use, its straight forward and quick to add/edit/remove projects, and move jobs form on e person to another, which is great for a fast-moving agency schedule Float makes it easy to see potential bottlenecks for resourcing, or shortfalls in workload.

Cons

There were a few minor UI issues, these have been resolved by a recent update.

So Intuitive and Easy

This program is helping us look at our pricing model to determine if we need to make any adjustments in how we bill. Additionally, the team members I am scheduling really like it. It gives them a clear picture of projects on them for the week and even weeks ahead.

Pros

This has been so easy for our company implement and the benefits of tracking $$ to time spent has been well worth it. So long Excel!

Cons

I wish I could build out our schedules from an end date automatically.

Good, but could be better

Float is easy to use and does the job it was made for, I’m happy using it as well as the rest of my colleagues.

Pros

Easy to see, enter and edit events on the timeline Very clear layout Colour coordination is helpful and good looking

Cons

I use the schedule on my iPhone to see where I am working, my manager enters extra details I can only see when I rotate my phone- would be excellent if users could expand boxes to see full texts inside.

Good for scheduling

Overall for the money it's great. Easy to use but again it is only as good as the information being put into it.

Pros

It's pretty good for scheduling purposes and being able to put people in certain departments and filter those out just to see a certain department's schedule. Very easy to use and customize. Good way to see if someone has free time available.

Cons

There is some work that you have to do to keep it updated and since we had only one person updating it, it was a bit of work. This is only as good as the information being put into it.

A simple, easy and fast scheduling solution

We have many different teams with 4+ team members in each and planning control on a daily basis, with a tool that doesn't require 10 minutes to adjust a simple timeline, is key to our business. We needed a clear, simple and efficient scheduling tool and we found exactly what we needed with Float.

Pros

Our teams greatly appreciate Float for its simplicity of use and clear, simple design. It is shared via browsers like ourprevious tool but much clearer and simpler to handle. It was quickly adpoted and no one looked back.

Cons

It can sometimes be confusing when too many ressources and projetcs are displayed on the screen. Additonally, the relocation of a task can sometimes be tricky when many blocks are too close from each other but nothing that some practice cannot overcome.

Excellent Option for Resource Management

It has really helped us get a sense of our workload vs resources, and identified clearly where we need to invest to remove pinch points.

Pros

Easy to set up working hours, and to see visually where there are pinch points and where resourcing is stretched.

Cons

It isn't so easy to move projects around. A more detailed list view per project (where you could assign tasks to users and put provisional dates), would be simpler when setting up multiple tasks for a project or where you need to radically reorganise projects and priorities.

Float Features

Resourcing and being able to utilize staff optimally has been a challenge. Float allows to forecast and plan which is key to the way we function

Pros

The reporting and the visuals that allow you to see your team members. Also the recently added budget feature is of great help

Cons

There seems to be a bug on and off that duplicates schedules and when organizing time off doesn't pick it up instantly. One has to enter, re-enter several times or refresh the browser

Thanks for the feedback. Please send further details of any bug issues to support@float.com and our team will help get this resolved ASAP! Cheers, Siobhan

Huge for managers who use Teamwork.com

I like float, but I don't know if it's worth the money... at the same time I'm terrified thinking about what I'd do without it.

Pros

I use Teamwork to manage my developers and this integration has been HUGELY helpful. I only need a 30,000 foot view on my team so I know what our availability looks like at a glance. Teamwork is super powerful, but lacks SEVERELY when it comes to showing capacity person to person. Float stepped into the middle and gave me what was missing.

Cons

Teamwork syncing is FAR from perfect. For syncing to happen projects MUST be created in Float... that means all my task templates are useless. Sure, my team can add those, but it's not ideal. Also, if you disconnect the Teamwork integration Float loses ALL memory of it. you'd essentially have to delete your projects and recreate them in Float. Also, for some reason it creates each task with a subtask and only applies the employee to the subtask. While I get that if you have multiple subtasks for a single task one might not know who is responsible for the main task... easy solution- just let me set that.

Simple to use and perfect for scheduling

I've used it in a larger agency and individually. Definitely the best scheduling software for creative teams.

Pros

The user interface is really easy to use. You can colour code all of your project, drag, drop or duplicate tasks. It's lightweight so you can update tasks quickly without needing detailed project info.

Cons

The allocation of time across multiple days. I would prefer to do it manually and it can be a bit tricky to update time.

FloatING along with Ease

It helps each individual user to follow a simple work day structure and helps the whole studio time manage jobs to help keep within budget.

Pros

Float is the most comprehensive scheduling device on the market for our marketing studio. Easy to manage, to follow, and makes trafficing our work through our studio a breeze.

Cons

Colour coding of each individual row and column could have the function to change this.

Great for a project manager who also oversees full consultancy team diary

Very happy with the product, it's clean and easy to use. We had senior managers who use the guest function to just view the forecasted consultancy and not paying for a guest viewer login is great.

Pros

The integration options with Teamwork. The clean view and ability to import outlook calendar events directly into the feed.

Cons

There is currently no two way sync with Outlook other than an ical feed

Pretty good for using a scheduling calendar and collaborating

Pros

Intuitive usage, which is good. Easy to setup, add & remove members as necessary. Different access levels is helpful. Ability to archive old members, which deactivates those accounts and stops billing for them while still keeping their records.

Cons

Look and feel needs to be more smooth with a better color usage. Feels like a modern efficient machine with old looks.

Great tool for collaborative working

Makes working with the team a lot more transparent

Pros

It's a great tool with the right amount of inputs to make organising, filtering, and managing time across the team easy. Great for collaborative work and essential for working from home in the covid-19 pandemic.

Cons

It would be great to see a tasklist integrated into the software - so a task could be assigned an amount of time etc.

Hi Kiah, If you use Asana, Teamwork, Jira, or Teamwork, we have direct integrations with these apps to import your task list that can be drag-and-dropped onto your schedule in Float. Feel free to check out our integrations here, https://www.float.com/integrations. If you have any integration requests for your preferred task list tool, please email us at support@float.com.

Love this product!

We have ERP software that does elementary scheduling and was customized to manage some of our production processes, but I found Float as an EXCELLENT and SIMPLE tool to schedule and track secondary processes that help us be more efficient and communicate more effectively with sales. Probably not a typical use of the software, but I find it fantastic!

Pros

It is extremely simple to visualize your projects and communicate timelines.

Cons

Can't say anything negative at this point. I've used the software for over a year to schedule vehicles through our manufacturing process and find it to be outstanding!

Float for three years

We have used this for three years and will continue to use it. It is easy to use, functional and allows us to do everything we need.

Pros

We can easily book our team of editors on both commercial and internal jobs. We are the biggest media company in New Zealand and this has proven to be the best 'booking system' for running post production.

Cons

The iPhone app is a bit slow and clunky.

Great Software

Using float has enabled the team to keep track of all the jobs we are working on, which has benefit us in many ways as it now saves us time.

Pros

I like this software because it updates automatically, which means we are provided with real time information daily. It enables me to keep track of the jobs that I am working on very easily.

Cons

One thing I think can be improved, is to put time slots down in the day so jobs can easily be filled in for eveyr hour or more if necessary.

great improvements

Highly recommend it specially with the new features and performance improvements

Pros

I like the ability to filter projects, tasks, individual staff and departments. The improvements done lately are great for the speed. Amazingly faster to navigate. Ability to mark a task complete or tentative is super helpful

Cons

Float need to improve the reporting tools to extract data