Float Reviews

Float

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

Float

A good platform for small creative businesses

We are able to clearly see when we are running over on jobs and overall our experience has been positive.

Pros

Seeing everything at a glance. It is great to have a visual reference of the time spend on specific tasks and know when you are over time. I love that you can now complete tasks

Cons

With the update my screen scrolls continuously which is really annoying. I have a tablet and the mobile and tablet app is really buggy and not a good experience so I use the desktop version on my devices however this is still not a great experience.

Float - Quick and simple time management

I am a production manager at a Design Agency working with designers and developers. Float allows me to track progress of everyone across multiple projects in one place. Ease of use and simplicity to update are the main reasons I chose Float. It's simple enough for anyone to pick up, the useful features can be found when you need them.

Pros

Easy to pick up and use (even for tech novices). Instant access from anywhere easily due to being stored online Automatic email updates to team. Easy to scan statistics and automated reporting are a huge win for me.

Cons

None major. One issue is that sometimes updates are missed on the email updates but we have an internal system which we use to update staff so we sometimes use that when working to tight deadlines.

Serves our complex scheduling needs well

Using Float has reduced the amount of time spent in scheduling meetings. It also allows us to collaborate with regard to resource allocation across remote teams, and aids in communication to assigned team members.

Pros

Visualisation of team member allocation across multiple projects. At a glance its easy to see who is allocated to what, and how many hours per day. Non-working days such as leave an public holidays are also handled well.

Cons

A lot of the great features can be hard to find at first. But I suppose this helps keep the UI for common tasks free of clutter.

Managing workflows can be simple

Pros

Easy to use, I especially like the colour coding of clients, drag and drop editing and recurring scheduling. My team come in at the start of the day and know exactly what client they are working on and how long is scheduled to complete the job. It's pretty awesome.

Cons

Originally it was a bit clunky but the latest upgrades have made it super good.

Much better than what we had int he past

it is easier to filter on a project or individual or group as well as tasks. It gives a better view and allows you to see if you overloaded someone

Pros

ability to view each project on its own and make sure no step was missed in scheduling. Ability to drill down on a user or a team and be able to review their schedule. Also, the fact it shows if someone got overloaded is very useful and I like the ability to move people and regroup them

Cons

it is slow when we do an update. When the administrator is moving things or adding new items on someone's schedule, it is very slow to update. Not sure how we can speed it up. Also, when filtering on a project to reschedule, it filters any user that has any link to that project which is great but I think it should show also, maybe in greyed out or faded colours the other items on their shedule. Example, if I am looking at Sep 20, it looks like that user has nothing, because they are schedule Sept 18. So, if I am planning to move their time from Sep 18 to Sep 20, I will not be aware of their current Sep 20 schedule until I exit the filter

Very Useful

Pros

The float has been a very important and helpful tool for our company projects and time management. We like that it is a visual way for us to map out and designate projects and time allocation. The time off feature and the milestones features have been very helpful.

Cons

It can be a bit tricky to use and there are not very many quick reference materials. The split tool gets stuck sometimes and there's no way to unsplit tasks. Sometimes the page does not allow us to input time off until we refresh the page.

Easy to use!

The data it collects is really useful for analysing what my team works on and what projects take up the most resources.

Pros

Float is one of the most straight forward scheduling apps I've used. It has a nice clean UI and it's easy to drag and drop tasks around the calendar.

Cons

We still need to use other software to track the project status. It's not a full end-to-end solution.

You float my boat

I'm pretty much scheduling 9am-5pm as part of my job, so I needed something that was 'clean' and easy to use, as well as having the required functionality. I trialled a few other software products and found Float came out on top.

Pros

The user-friendliness. It doesn't try and be too over complicated.

Cons

only downside is that I'm unable to brand it up a bit with our company logo's/colours. Not a biggy though, more of a nice to have.

Quick and Easy to set up and use

We use Float to keep track of project resources and forecast upcoming requirements. It does a great job, and the support we get from the company whenever there's an issue or query is fantastic.

Pros

Float's interface is quick to use and straightforward to learn, so I can update and amend smoothly. Recent functionality updates to add pending projects has been really helpful for me.

Cons

I'd like a more powerful and granular reporting tool--what's here works well, but if I need to drill down in more detail it can become a bit of a manual process.

Pros

It has a clear layout and is very easy to use

Cons

Home screen should default to have your line at the top, regardless of alphabetical order.

Helpful Resourcing Tool, Could Use More Functionality

Out team is able to work collaboratively and effectively to solve resource issues using float in a digital design space.

Pros

Float is easy to use and can be picked up in minutes, allowing anyone to become quickly acquainted and start making collaborative resource decisions.

Cons

Float could do with some further integration of other common project management tools and features. It is good at what it does but I would like to see them produce a wider software suite which includes other resource management tools such as time logging.

Perfect to manage maintenance teams!

With Float we are able to coordinate a whole maintenance workforce and schedule all the activities for a manufacturing plant (pharma industry), very efficiently. The software has been thought to be time saving, and allows to focus on what really matters. Learning curve rise pretty immediately, and the final user feels a real benefit.

Pros

We analyzed several reviews before getting a Float license for our maintenance team. What impressed us is the ease of use and immediate approach of the user interface. Even non tech skilled people can easily plan and update activities, without spending too much time on the software itself.

Cons

So far, almost 1 year after adopting Float, we can't identify any particular downside.

Keeping everyone on the same page

Pros

It's easy to schedule, reschedule and move projects around. This allows us to always see what our capacity is and where we might need to divert resources. The team always knows what they should be working on and what is upcoming.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to split projects or change details. And the mobile experience isn't that great.

Feedback on Float

Ensuring that the internal resources are not burning out - through resource allocation of jobs.

Pros

The visibility it gives us on all the status and workflow of all our ongoing projects against the resources.

Cons

The software has a pretty high tendency of hanging. On multiple occasions, time blocks input would not be reflected resulting in missing work allocation.

Very useful but would be nice to have a few more featured

Im satisfied with Float and I'll continue using it. I wish there was the ability to add things like public holidays to timelines, and I wish that response time when you try to load something was a little faster

Pros

Fit for purpose - I use this for timelines and I cant think of any tool which would work better for that.

Cons

Its not very intuitive, so it takes some getting used to.

Hi Jessie, Thanks so much for your review! Just to let you know there is an option to add local public holidays to your schedule. Feel free to view our support article here, https://support.float.com/en/articles/3281892-public-and-custom-holidays. If you have any questions, please email support@float.com. Thanks, Siobhan

Good but there are space for improvement

Pros

Overall, it is very easy to input project and hours.

Cons

There are project report and people report that are provided by Float. But I feel like there isn't a bridge to connect people and project. In many situations, we want to see what kinds of projects that people are working on. For example, for person A, we want to see a report that show for this week, A is working on project B for 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week, project C for 2 hours a day, 10 hours a week and project D for 2 hours a day, 10 hours a week, etc. If you can connect project and people, that would be very helpful for us to plan resource and estimate the cost for every project/client.

Clear, functional and easy to use

Pros

I am mostly using Float within the company I work for to get an overview of what projects I'm working on during a particular week. The clear and functional display makes it easy to immediately see what has been scheduled. It also lets me see who of my colleagues are on holiday or what projects they're working on. Great product.

Cons

It can begin to get a little bit laggy when there are many other members of staff on display at the same time. Other than that, no complaints!

Fantastic Scheduling tool

I use Float on a daily basis to plan the resources in our studio - it enables me to react quickly to the ever changing needs of our clients and has had a very real impact on the efficiency of our teams. I have already recommended Float to friends of mine that work in the industry and will continue to do so.

Pros

Float is incredibly easy to use and provides a clear view of what our studio is working on at any given time. The ability to quickly add in projects on the fly is a great time saver and being able to book projects tentatively helps to plan work well in advance.

Cons

We have a large number of clients and the preset colours are fairly limited - we'd like more , varied colours to choose from.

Useful tool for day to day workload

Pros

Float is a very handy tool to let workers know in advance what projects they'll be working on and whats coming up in the near future too. For our company also its a great way of knowing exactly which project is allocated to you in order to log your time correctly.

Cons

My least favourite thing is something they have removed recently, which is allowing you to copy the text on each item on float. This allowed me to quickly find the tickets for said projects I'm assigned too.

Top resource planning and scheduling tool

Pros

The ease of use of Float it top class. From the creating of projects to assign resources to, creating of tasks in the projects and managing the milestones is super easy. The calendar grid format makes it really easy to see what resources are assigned to and makes it really simple to manage your resource scheduling. Access management is good too. We make use of the Float API suite too to automate our team's approved leave from our leave management system to Float and it works really well. The reporting is decent. The UI is a delight to work with. There is not a lot you cannot do with Float.

Cons

The only small gap I have found is the operational reporting. While there is a weekly view, it does not seem to offer a day-by-day report that can be imported into Excel (through CSV or other means).

Recommend Float

Our scheduling has become much easier to manage since using float. We can see all our resources displayed at the same time and can manipulate easily making confidence decisions.

Pros

The ease of seeing all schedules in one easy to view page

Cons

Not being able to set up recurring job tasks to select from and needing to create the tasks each time a new job is created

Good

Pros

Easy - if there were more functions it would become cluttered. Simple is good.

Cons

You used to see your time first when you logged in, now you have to type your name in. That's annoying. I feel bad for whoever's name is first in the alphabet.

Thanks so much for your review Emme. You can rearrange the order of people on your schedule with drag and drop. This order will autosave as your view for next time you log in! Thanks again for your review and please feel free to email support@float.com with any other feedback. Cheers, Siobhan

Float is certainly an easy tool to use, accessible and fast to edit. It used to be cheaper although.

An overall view of the production team more clear which help us make fast choices when we are in rush or we need to find solutions. Plus a more transparent overview of the actual and future work for the team.

Pros

The fast and easy to edit is the major plus to this software. All the tools (cut, insert, slide) are helping lots to edit faster.

Cons

When you start to have a lot of persons, it becomes really slow, even if your account is always clean (archived projects). Plus, the price doubled recently, which I found it a lot if we consider the quantity of new features and updates (1) since this change. I don't see a lot of communication sharing the next plans for Float or what they are working on, it should be shared more.

Does the job, if you learn its quirks

Pros

Back-end integrations for planning and capturing time in collaboration with legacy systems.

Cons

1. It can take a very long time to search & load the table – especially on mobile and tablet. 2. Certain keystrokes cause unexpected behaviour, such as hitting Enter when selecting a hours from the dropdown (while populating the details for a job in the popup) submits and closes the popup. It would be better if it confirmed your choice of hours (like a standard HTML dropdown would).

Solid Scheduling

Pros

Super easy to use, and with the new update, it's way faster and doesn't break. We are big fans and have used to help organize our studio for years.

Cons

Well, it's a negative but a positive - it doesn't have a ton of features. Float does scheduling management really well, and not much else, which is fine for us.