OmniFocus Reviews

Pros

Omnifocus is a great to do manager and it has gotten better over the years. It really helps streamline processes.

Christopher N. D.

Tammie E.

OmniFocus helps me stay organized and on schedule, especially with projects that have multiple tasks. They provide good tutorials to help you learn how to use it effectively.

Mark P.

Since it's fully tied to the Apple ecosystem, you can't access your to-do's from Android, Windows, etc - or even a browser which is a severe limitation to some users.

Michael L.

Petio P.

4.7

Stay on Target with Omnifocus

Transcript

Michael: Hi, my name is Michael. I'm the staff training and development manager for a financial company,...

A well featured tool with a steep learning curve

Transcript

Jake B.: Hi, I'm Jake, a Senior Manager at an events company. I give OmniFocus four out of five stars....

Fantastic "to-do" software but very in-depth

I tried a dozen to-do apps before purchasing OF3 and stuck with it a few months but the interface wasn't right for me and it was too fiddly and too overwhelming. If you can get into it properly and can handle how in-depth it is then you'll be fine but it was just too much for me. The price when I got it was actually great, it was a one-time purchase, not subscription like it is now. However, I have switched to Todoist which meets my needs so much better.

Pros

It had all the features I needed including setting repeating reminders, ease of adding a task and setting dark mode.

Cons

It's too in-depth, if you've never used it or one of Omni's other software it's a heck of a learning curve. The online manual is huge and there's so much to find out. Setting repeating tasks is quite fiddly, there are a lot of options. Other software I've used let's you just put "water plants every Monday" and it'll set that reminder. In OF3 you have to select so many options just to do this. It's very fiddly on a phone especially.

A well featured tool with a steep learning curve

Trying to juggle multiple roles at work with different projects and deadlines, OmniFocus helps with the defer dates, to not have something pop up until you have decided to work on it. So it is easier to avoid being overwhelmed. So long as you consistently use the system and review weekly.

Pros

When you are invested in the system and the GTD (Getting Things Done) Methodology, OmniFocus works quite well.

Cons

The learning curve! It takes a lot of time to internalize how OmniFocus works and the flow daily and weekly use.

Overkill to the point of unusable - impractical even for the most organized of us

I abandoned it because there was too much maintenance, tagging, and clicking. Even my friends who recommended OmniFocus abandoned it for the Tasks App in the iPhone after only a few months, and now I use Google Keep instead because it integrates my work to do list with my personal lists well. Now with the proliferation of Amazon Echo (Alexa) you can add things to the Alexa to-do list by voice, so you don't want to have to go and type into OmniFocus when you can just now add tasks by voice

Pros

A number of features that allow you to sort tasks and arrange them in a multitude of sophisticated ways, so you can organize tasks in ways not possible through a simple to-do list.

Cons

To keep up with the best and most unique features of the platform requires so much work on tagging and organizing that everyone I know who used it just went back to simple to do list apps. After a while you want something quick and easy that you can jot down, and there are so many free solutions out there that are better integrated into your life.

My Go To Tool to Getting Things Done

OmniFocus allows you to quickly capture your thoughts and turn them into actionable tasks. OmniFocus’s intuitive and customizable interface provides you with the tools needed to organize your tasks into manageable actions.

Pros

These are features that I like Quick Entry, allows me to quickly create tasks from anywhere on your Mac Folders and projects to help organize tasks Customizable views Mail app integration

Cons

I do not use these features much time estimates, repeats for your tasks and projects

Great software for organization and planning goals

Omnifocus has been great for me to stay up to date on all the projects that I am responsible for at our church and has been extremely helpful in allowing me to stay on task every day.

Pros

Omnifocus is easy to use and simple to update. You can easily add new projects and new tasks and it is easy to track your progress. Both the desktop and the mobile applications are very user friendly and this software is great for those who want a simple project management software all the way to those who need to have a complex structured system for managing a wide variety of tasks and projects.

Cons

The only issue that I have with the Omnifocus software is the cost. The up-front cost is likely prohibitive for many and there are many free apps that have similar features but are not as capable. This is especially true when new versions are released and you must pay again for the software upgrade.

When you need it, you need it

As you can see, I really like Omnifocus. It helps keep me on track. When I'm doing GTD well and doing my Weekly Reviews (which Omnifocus supports very well) then I'm staying on track with my life. I'm a big fan.

Pros

I've used a lot of iOS and Mac task managers. Omnifocus is the best for me when life gets super busy. I love the automation and the project management templates. It makes it so easy to deal with recurring projects. The different perspectives let me see only what I need to see at any given time. It really is a joy to use once you get the hang of it. I have it on my Apple Watch, iPhone and Mac.

Cons

There is a learning curve, but don't let that stop you. Just because a task has a million fields you can you doesn't mean you have to use them. I would say just use the basic for a while and learn the more advanced features as you go. It's pricey but totally worth it.

My most frequently used application, Keeps me Sane!

I would feel completely lost without OmniFocus and have attempted to use some other workaround software but it failed miserably, doesn't even come close. I need all my commitments and tasks with me instantly for on-the-go decision making about what I do next, according to what context I'm currently in. This does it seamlessly and the customer service is great. An unreserved recommendation from me.

Pros

For those who are familiar with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Getting Things Done methodology, this is a must-have. But you don't have to be familiar with GTD for it to keep you focused. It keeps me on track in my demanding full time job as well as running my side-hustle company. It also keeps me on task with personal commitments. I use it constantly throughout the day to make sure I'm committed...

Cons

I was surprised it cost a little more than other apps and services, but well worth it. I can use it across platforms on all my devices including PC, and stay up to date everywhere at once. But it is more expensive than some lesser products. I think you get what you pay for with this one.

The second best task management software

Well, I used OF for good two years (Pro version) and while it served me well, I ultimately found that the way OF implements task management is too focused to micro-management. When OF3 came out I was torn between going ahead and embrace my fate (!) or move along and look for another option. Eventually, I switched to Things 3 and never ever looked back :)

Pros

- Feature-rich app, allows you to control almost every aspect of your tasks - Maybe the best task management software suite for handling complex projects - iOS companion app - Web service allows you to access most critical functions when on the go (or working from a different platform) - If you often have to manage complex tasks projects, OmniFocus is well probably the best choice - They recently added tags! - OmniFocus still prides of sticking to GTD principles

Cons

- Only for Mac :( - IMHO not the very best tool for small to medium task projects - Sometimes it seems it is more focused to cater micro-management fans than staying out of the way - Pricey

The GTD Swiss-Army Knife

I swear by OmniFocus. It is a central part of​ my workflow chain. If you are a believer in GTD, this is the app for you!

Pros

This piece of software includes all you would ever need to stick to a strict GTD regiment. It is by far the most complete task manager I have tried out. For tasks, it allows the user to set time-requirement, due date, defer date; and for the projects, nesting, and sequential or arbitrary task execution. It has iCal integration, and reminders for weekly review (with a separate page tailored to that activity). Not to mention the custom Perspectives option that the paid​ version offers to the user, which opens up a world of possibility in controlling the way the data is interacted with.

Cons

The learning curve is non-trivial. If you are not going to use this for a serious GTD workflow and/or are not ready to put the time and love in learning it, then this software is not for you. Another gripe I have with the Omni Group is that they are not very open to third-party integrations. OmniFocus exposes an AppleScript API, but the functionality is limited. This means that you won't find many exciting IFTTT or Zappier integrations.

I left Omnifocus for Evernote

Great tool that people swear by, but simpler tools exist. The effectiveness of this tool is completely base don the user.

Pros

Cons

The learning curve is high and onc you figure it out you realize that you can use another simpler tool effectively with the system.

Powerful and Versatile Task Management

I use OmniFocus for ever single thing I need to take action on. From personal projects and errands with a clearly-defined end point, to routines that repeat at various intervals, I use OmniFocus to remind myself what I need to do now, what’s coming up in the near future, and what long-range plans and ideas I have percolating in the back burner. Tony Stark has Jarvis. I have OmniFocus.

Pros

Omnifocus allows me to structure my tasks and projects virtually any way I want and then filter them so that I only have to see what I want to see, when I want to see it. This cuts down on the confusion and overwhelm and has made me a much more productive human being.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints. However, I do have a couple of caveats. 1) There is a learning curve. As with any application that offers so much power and flexibility, OmniFocus is more complex than one might expect at first. 2) You need to have your own task management system. Omnifocus was originally designed as an implementation of David Allen’s Getting Things Done system and it still works beautifully for that. Changes over the past few years (most notably replacing Allen’s “contexts” with “tags”) have opened up ways of breaking out of the strictly GTD framework. But however you choose to organize your life is up to you and OmniFocus will only ALLOW you to do it. TL;DR OmniFocus is an exceptional tool to help you sort yourself out. But you have to do the work.

Best personal task / GTD manager if you are full into Apple ecosystem

Pros

It is not more than a task manager for macOS and iOS, but it’s built in its own mindset. People either love it or don’t understand it. It was originally the first application that was officially GTD® “acknowledged” (not certified because there is not such thing). If you are into GTD, there are some little gems that are difficult to find in other softwares: - Defer date: action is unavailable until...

Cons

If you have an Android phone you can have a hard time accessing your info. There is no official Android app (and probably will never be). Since version 3, OmniGroup is building an “emergency” web access to your lists, for those users who have macOS at home but Windows at work, and it works on Android too. It’s not the most usable interface but can save your day.

The Task Manager That Will Save Your Life

Pros

As a graphic designer working with multiple clients at any given moment, OmniFocus helps me stay organized and focused on the most important things. It is incredibly powerful and customizable, allowing me to adapt it to the way I work instead of the other way around.

Cons

Even though I'm very familiar with the software now, there was a little bit of learning curve when I first started. Because it's so customizable and adaptable to your needs, there's no right way of doing things. I wish I would have figured that out sooner!

This is how I plan my day!

Pros

Omnifocus is a very powerful task manager. It’s packed full of features however the app is designed in such a way that you can use as many or as little of the features as you wish. It is infinitely customisable. It’s easy to create projects, tasks, and folders and to assign them tags, due dates, make them repeat etc. Tags is my favourite feature. Each task can be assigned many tags. Tags could be things like “Mac computer”or a location or an energy level. When you want to look at your tasks you can filter them with these tags. On the iOS apps you can set location based alerts for your tags too. Syncing is automatic and very reliable through Omni Group’s omnisync server.

Cons

Tags can only be assigned a location through the iOS versions of the app. I do much of my task management on the Mac and would like to be able to assign locations to tags while I’m on the Mac. I’d also like to see a collaboration feature, eg a shared task list or project whereby tasks can be added and completed by anyone in the group. This is not currently available.

Best task management app I've ever worked with

Pros

Other to-do apps simply don't have the width and breadth that OmniFocus offers. I can set up my to-dos and group them into projects and folders, so I can differentiate between client work and work on my own business as well as between the different clients and the different projects I'm working on for them. The possibilities are endless!

Cons

It does take a bit to get used to and the user interface is practical but could be more intuitive (there's a new version coming up later in 2018 so that might get better then). I also miss a feature to calculate availability/capacity. There's already a field for the duration of every task, why not go the next step and tell you how much time you've got already allocated that day, week or month.

Most Incredible Productivity Software-Sad you can't use with team

I have used omnifocus for more than 10 years to implement GTD (Getting Things Done) and I would never use another personal productivity tool. Using omnifocus initially changed my life. It's that good. I fly through my reviews and tasks and it never gets in the way.

Pros

Weekly review feature lets me set review frequency for each project, and I can mark them reviewed as I do it. The software is easy to use if you follow the GTD system and not too hard even if you don't.

Cons

Omnigroup recently added a little more functionality for teams, but really it's still not a team tool. If it were, my professional productivity life would be complete.

Literally my number one favorite application - an absolute lifesaver

I would seriously pay hundreds of dollars for this software. There's an iPhone and Apple Watch companion app for the desktop version, which works seamlessly. Custom perspectives are highly recommended, and for them, I would always purchase the pro edition. If you are serious about personal task management, this is the last software purchase you'll need to make.

Pros

Omnifocus has allowed me to fully practice GTD methodologies. Creating projects, actions, and managing them is simple and straightforward. The application offers exactly as much customization as I need.

Cons

With no linux support, I'm tied to Mac OSX. Additionally, there aren't any options for collaborative projects and tasks.

Apple exclusive Task Management Goodness!

Pros

OmniFocus is a really well-built task management tool. It has a slick UI and it offers so much features, useful ones that you will actually use, it makes itself an invaluable tool in your task management arsenal. I especially loved its Forecast feature and it tight integration with macOS and iOS versions that made using it a seamless experience.

Cons

I really did not like that it was an Apple exclusive software. Most of my work is done on Windows, so OmniFocus quickly became not much relevant to me when switching to a windows device.

Feature rich, yet missing some critical things

Pros

It was a great clean interface when I used it. Has offline capabilities on the desktop app and on the phone. Built with a robust set of features that allow you to really follow the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology of context and prioritizing. Like the ability to embed outside calendars in the task views.

Cons

I found it a bit much for me to try to fully manage a GTD system and ended up using only more basic features. It also doesn't offer ANY functionality for teams and sharing projects/tasks. Since I need this for one my jobs - it was out, and I like to have consistency between different work projects if I can so I'm not running on multiple software where necessary.

The Best GTD

I love working with OmniFocus and the extendability it has. I used some scripts to help me keep track of my assigned issues on Github. It can auto sync data from other services.

Pros

OmniFocus is the best and the most powerful GTD software that I have used. Especially in the OmniFocus 3, the tag (replace the context from OF2) and the great iPhone app can help me tag anything, including places and contacts and so on, and keep track with everything.

Cons

The software is very hard to get used of it, not friendly for new users, not enough tutorial included.

An Extremely Granular task manager. Too much for most, but its intended audience adores it

To me, omnifocus over complicates tasks. I would say if your life is regimented down to the minute and you have hundreds or thousands of to-do items, then omni focus might be a fit for you, but then, you probably also have a personal assistant. A task manager is all about personal preference, and I lean toward something simpler.

Pros

It has more features than any task manager I've ever seen. You can get amazingly granular with different views, settings, "perspectives," reminders, etc. It has every bell and whistle you can think of.

Cons

My experience is that it was a little "too much" for me, but I know certain people love it. I felt like I was spending more time tinkering with my tasks than actually doing them. It's hard for me to get behind all the tweaking, especially when multiple billionaires say that they make their to-do lists on a sheet of paper. I also think it's overpriced.

Omnifocus review

Great productivity tool, easy to use, an affordable way to set up your own productivity pace.

Pros

Useable on multiple devices, this is great, can start work on any device and continue edit on others smoothly. Flexible set up with project and tagging. Nice reminder pop up feature.

Cons

No feature on PC environment which is a downside for office environment. On Mac/IOS environment it works very well.

I Wouldn't Know How To Run My Life Without Omnifocus

I run my business and household on Omnifocus and it is amazing. It allows me to have everything in one place, projects for work and errands for the house. I'm not sure how I got along without Omnifocus before I started using it.

Pros

It's a perfectly full-featured task manager. It's the first place I check in the morning since it shows me my calendar and tasks all in one place, so I can see my day at a glance.

Cons

Learning to use the tags and projects features took a little time.

Powerful Task/Project Organizer

Amazing!

Pros

Omnifocus is an extremely powerful task/project organizer, and has easy shortcuts for adding tasks. I like the new 'tags' feature as well, and the interface is great.

Cons

It took me a long time to really understand how powerful Omnifocus is (and I still don't think that I have taken advantage of all of its features, even though some of them may be applicable to me). So perhaps it could be slightly more user-friendly in that respect.

OmniFocus - You Need It

Outstanding experience. Buy this, upgrade it, use it!

Pros

I love OmniFocus. It is the lifeblood of my ability to get things accomplished. It is easy to use, to organize your tasks, to ensure you stay focussed, and can be productive. It also synchs well between the desktop version and iOS version.

Cons

Absolutely nothing. Once you wrap your head around the Getting Things Done paradigm you will love this product.