PieMatrix "Pie" Reviews

4.67/5 (9 reviews)

Annmarie Curley, PMP

Easy to use & fully functional tool for managing all sizes of projects

Reviewed 2019-10-16

This software allows my clients to get up and running with their projects more quickly. It is so much more intuitive than traditional project management tools which are really just gantt charts. As all other project management tools are included - risks, issues, key data metrics, document templates, knowledge on steps, this removes the need to manage the project from multiple artifacts. Additionally, the messaging feature means that team members can collaborate directly from the context of the project. No more long email threads asking for clarification on questions raised via email. Context is set directly in the project so problems can be resolved more quickly. I also frequently recommend Pie to clients who need to see their overall portfolio of projects - it is really easy to set this up in Pie, and manage overall status, risks and issues at the project level for a full portfolio view.

Pros
- I love the new version of Pie - it is super-fast and easier to use than the classic version - I use Pie in my project manager training classes - it is so easy that my students who are new to project management are up and running, developing their project plan in minutes - Really like how I can develop templates that include tasks/steps, milestones, role assignments, and the knowledge and information required to execute the task. - Also really like how risks and issue management is built into the tool - no more separate spreadsheets that get out of date. Team members can also flag risks and issues on their steps - easier for project manager to manage - Can clone templates into fully functional projects with a button click, assign resources to roles and you have a project plan ready to customize for your projects - Love that you can blend a kanban board directly into a phase of a project to blend sequential and agile methods into one plan

Cons
It is so easy to get started that my students can no longer use "I cannot use the tool" as an excuse to not complete their project work!!

Likelihood to recommend: 10/10

Lawrence Dillon

Updated version - So, an updated review

Reviewed 2019-10-16

The recent upgrade was massive. The overall concept remains the same but with added features and a much faster response rate. Since we use the platform at clients, we have access mostly through Guest WiFi, which is never very fast. The legacy version had performance challenges at the system level. This does not. The challenge for us is maintaining the data at the speed of the team's change when we adopted an approach of a single person making updates. We learned quickly that the team members should update their Pie project and use the tool to collaborate. Every client we have used this version with has been impressed and has seen improvements in project/program​ team productivity. We have now use most of the PPM and Agile tools out there and this new version of Pie combines the best of both types of tools. Granted, it is missing some features still but we know they are coming and have seen huge improvements in the last 3 months.

Pros
Improved / modern look & feel. Improved software performance. weekly updates with new capabilities add to the ability to drive value. Addition of Kanban to support process-based​ methodologies in addition to Agile, Hybrid, WAgile, Scaled Agile, and one of our clients even uses it to manage their work flowing through the deployment train (long story but they are a SBU and the corporate IT forces them through a 2-week manual deployment process). We use a Kanban deploy train approach and track the historical deployments the same way we track historical sprints.

Cons
Missing some legacy version capabilities. A big program with lots of separate​ streams of work broken into separate​ projects should be updated by all the people on all the teams. If updating an MS project or spreadsheet (old style) tool by 1 person, this might take more mouse clicks then you want or expect. It is a distributed SaaS tool and hence fast and efficient​ when used that way by the entire team. sprints).

Likelihood to recommend: 10/10

Lawrence Dillon

AMAZING tool for Methodology and manual process EXECUTION

Reviewed 2015-10-20

I have used this tool for 8 years and have stopped using all other related tools unless my customers use them. This is the only tool I have found in the market that helps improve methodology and manual process execution. The ease of use to develop a "methodology" or template was what I first found helpful. I still use it today to model out what is in my head. Then, to use the template to create a "project" is simple and straight forward. The fact that NO OTHER TOOL does this is ridiculous to me. With all the "standards" and methodologies out there you would think there would be a place to store them electronically and then use them for the appropriate project. I have used this for New Product Develop (NPD) Stage Gate processes, Software Development (SDLC - all types), New Employee On-Boarding (NEO), and even very large global transformation programs with 50+ countries needing to be rolled out? With any software there are always areas that we want improved as we use the tool more and more but with PIE, the only thing I want improved is my customers engagement with it since it would make the projects more successful!!!!!

Pros
Increases team productivity by over 30% based on my experience Improves quality of project execution Allows Executives complete visibility of all projects in REAL TIME without powerpoint Provides Portfolio view with interactive Drill Down Allows teams to collaborate in real time on anything within the project Allows executives to jump into collaboration to answer questions and solve issues Generates a list of "To Do's" for each team member to execute Easy / simple to use Electronic methodology and process capture Process modeling is very easy methodology continuous improvement dynamic updates to active projects with methodology improvements Ability to link to templates and documents into other tools like SharePoint, behind clients' firewalls for security Inexpensive for the functionality Ability to import and export to MS Project & Excel The portfolio roll up is based on project(s) structures and not just a roll up of task lists. So, PMOs can actually see what structures appear to be working better for the organization. This helps improve performance over time.

Cons
Nobody knows about this tool so it takes a while for my customers to see the value Initial learning curve can be high for project managers because this is NOT a task list product like MS Project, clarity, workfront and others. it is a PROCESS based execution platform which improves performance over task management.

Arlene Brooks

Pie Lover

Reviewed 2015-10-16

I have used Pie for 3 years now. I discovered Pie while researching project management alternative tools for Law Enforcement Managers. This user-base is not typically trained in project management. I needed a product that would allow the IT project teams to manage their projects, while providing an easy graphical interface for the managers to see the progress, status, risk, and issues on a particular project within their command. I was also looking for an application to serve as an institutional knowledgebase for organizational processes. Pie allows users to create reusable process templates and easily convert them to active projects was a true Godsend. I have implemented Pie in my IT project management firm. I have always been a cake-lover, but now I truly LOVE Pie!

Pros
Easy to use for those who do not know project management. Easy to Administrate Can import/export MS Project files Provides a user contributed template community that can be used as a starting point for your project Support is very responsive to customer suggestions & inquiries

Cons
I look forward to more & varied templates as users in different disciplines contribute to the community. I would like to see more automated standard project management reports generated from project data.

Highly recommend PIEmatrix for managing comprehensive project plan & more

Reviewed 2014-06-04

As an owner of a project management consulting firm, I only use software and tools that are highly effective and easy to use. I have been using PIEmatrix for several years to manage many different types of projects and highly recommend the product. The dashboard view shows me the latest status of my entire portfolio of projects and makes portfolio management and prioritization easy. The executive reporting functions and views have allowed me to eliminate hard copy reports - I use PIEmatrix to show project status to stakeholders and project team members, and run status meetings using PIEmatrix. It has eliminated the need for additional spreadsheets to manage risks/issues, or project data, and project status reports and steering committee reports. Everything can be managed from within the application. It also allows users to create templates and reuse across their projects - which increases efficiency and drives consistent project management practices across all client projects.

Pros
1) Manage risks and issues at the project and task level. 2) Collaborate with project team members from within the project 3) Manage project data (budgets, etc) with the project 4) Easy to baseline schedule and manage critical path

Cons
New social collaboration feature is amazing - I'm looking forward to additional functions and reports that will allow me to extend usage of this feature to cover tasks such as gathering feedback from the team, or post implementation reviews, etc.

Easy as Pie

Reviewed 2015-09-29

Great tool that allows for planning of one-off projects and repeatable projects and processes. Repeatable projects and processes can be set up via the creation of templates (from an existing project or from scratch). Pie is flexible enough so that projects then can still be individualized based on specific needs of current projects. Set up allows for visual clues on where you are at with the project, what dependencies are and for larger projects helps tracking the individual layers of a project simultaneously or one at a time. Communication between project members is easy within Pie. Dashboard gives great visual clues on where which project is in terms of completion.

Pros
Visually very appealing, helps planning steps and reminds you do create actionable steps that answer what by when and by whom. Allows for easy collaboration with co-workers next door, across departments, across companies,

Cons
It would be great if Pie synced with Outlook or Google calendar to create one stop 'shopping' of what's on today's, tomorrow's, this week's table.

Performance not Worth the Price

Reviewed 2019-10-15

Pros
The branding of the product was nice and the UI was fairly clean and well laidout.

Cons
The slowness and inability to perform batch tasks quickly.

Response from PieMatrix

Thanks for the review and good feedback about our clean UI.

I would love to learn about your performance issues. We haven't received any concerns aside from your post and would like to understand where you found it slow. I noticed you marked 2+ years for using Pie. Your performance complaint may be for the old Pie which has been shut down. In its place is our New Pie application that was released in early 2019. It's core architecture was re-written from scratch and performance is super fast. Give it a try.

On performing batch tasks quickly, you may have missed our batch feature which is from the ellipsis icon on the top right of each task list page. That dropdown provides quick batch features, such as mark all tasks done, move all tasks, etc.

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Use of Pie for Project Management

Reviewed 2015-10-28

This product was purchased to manage large software implementation projects. The software is extremely easy to use and encourages participation from all members of the project implementation team.

Pros
Highly intuitive, web-based tool. Extremely easy to use and flexible. Very pleased with customer support - they are extremely supportive and responsive.

Cons
Could improve the ability to report and sort on various fields embedded in the database. But improvements have been made in this area - they are very open to suggested modifications to their product.

Ken Signorello

Pie Matrix is Great

Reviewed 2015-09-28

We've been using Pie Matrix to manage 13 exhibitions per year each of which involves 100 + steps. We're an art gallery and without Pie our team would not know what the other members are doing. Pie lets us keep in synch, collaborate and continually make our process better.

Pros
Best interface out there.

Cons
Won't run on an ipad but with two in ones, hardly matters any more.