Tempo Timesheets Logo

Tempo Timesheets

#1 time tracking app for Jira since 2010.

Tempo Timesheets Reviews

4.3

How would you rate Tempo Timesheets?

Pros

It's a good product and I would really love to see more competition in this space. There is virtually no competition and Tempo doesn't have to innovate and further improve the product.

MG

Marc G.

The software is pretty intuitive and both fast and easy to get time entered into along with a good ability to download data for different integrations we have from the API.

AH

Adam H.

The reporting and filtering capabilities are excellent, and the ability to pull up reports on a yearly basis, then download that data is indispensable for us.

JV

Jeffrey V.

Cons

I get charged for all users tho half of the users don't need to use the software. Still didn't find a way to only get charged for users that use it.

ST

Sasa T.

If there's a mistake in my timesheet I have to ask to another admin. Unless there's a permission I missed.

SB

Head of Operations

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Good, but not great

Transcript

Danielle C.: Hi. My name is Danielle. I'm head of operations for an IT company. I would give Tempo four...

JIRA Cloud TEMPO user

Transcript

Deborah G.: Hi, my name is Deborah. I'm a senior business systems analyst, and I rate Tempo a three....

Tempo : A great tool to track time

Pros

Tempo is easily integrated in Jira suite, and allow tracking by a simple click.

Cons

The Tempo presentation has been improved recently, but the initial selection is often loss when you refresh pages. Need to select again filters...

Tempo Timesheets Rocks!

We switched to Jira/Tempo several years ago (from FogBugz) because we needed a development tracking tool with a good time tracking system. We picked Jira Software Cloud first and then selected Tempo Timesheets for time tracking. No regrets with Tempo. Jira has been (and still is) an adventure at times, but Tempo Timesheets has been a solid performer from the start. And it has received significant improvements over time. It's a great choice for my company.

Pros

Easy to use. Integrates well with Jira Software Cloud. Reasonably priced.

Cons

Not big , but due to Jira changes, it now takes an extra click to get to Tempo time entry in a Jira ticket.

Updates without considering the users needs

Honestly, at this point I work with it because I have no other choice. But I am strongly pushing for us to get a different solution. I was fine until the timesheets were taken away and was hoping for improvements through added features

Pros

When I started to work at Kreios 3 years ago, we were already working with Jira/using Tempo Timesheets. We are constantly optimizing our processes and for HR as well as for invoicing I was able to implement standard processes

Cons

The recent update I like least because you just simply removed the "timesheets" feature and replaced it with "my work" which isn't anything but the reports filtered down to a person. So it wasn't a feature added but a major feature taken away. We had to instruct people on what they had to do different, we had to adapt our own accounting software that imports timesheets automattically, time tracking during weeks or months has become harder. I was honestly very upset about that. Another thing I don't like is that export feature isn't flexible enough. Also lines are cut off when there at the end of a page, no matter how you try to do it, if the export is too long. So they're not reliable (Monthly export for payroll)

Jira integrated time tracking

Pros

I can use mobile app for logging hours which is pretty convenient. It also gives you pretty neat working hours report so I can bill my clients accordingly.

Cons

Sometimes it's cumbersome to find Jira issues that I'd like to log hours in. On mobile application you cannot set worked hours directly (you can do it through website tho). You have to set specific begininning and end time which make the process longer.

Best timesheets tracker ever

We could not find any systems that are easy to use and could support billable and non-billable type of time entries. Tempo delivered big time and the ease of which you can add time entries, swap them out with other tickets or edit other user's timesheets and update them is simply AMAZING.

Pros

- VERY easy way to add time to your Jira service desk tickets - Very easily set up via the admin panel - Integrates with groups and roles - BEST time plugin I have ever used (across multiple systems) - Price point is GREAT (We use a hosted server setup) - Editing staff timesheets is a breeze...I have never used a system that os so easy to use.

Cons

- The budget period is only per month. There is no option to set other time periods, ie qaurterly, yearly etc. (this is a very big one) - Have to set up organizations again. It should integrate with the "Customer" list in jira service desk. (Very minor) - Does not have an option for rounding time to the nearest quarter of an hour (very minor) - Does not provide budget alerts (this is a very big one) - The settings screen can use some love and explanation

Aged well

Our Professional Services thrives on this. When you are looking for the over/under on your portfolio of projects, and need the insights as to when you are approaching capacity, Tempo Timesheets becomes critical for our organization.

Pros

Ease of use and reporting functionality are key drivers for project accounting. Tempo Timesheets is easy enough to use for the daily user, but still sophisticated enough to use for executive views.

Cons

Nothing that hasn't been addressed in recent releases.

Project Management Time Tracking Made Simple

Overall Tempo has been great. it has simplified the time tracking and time reporting process(es) and made things much easier on management. the implementation and training part of the roll out was simple. the fact that there are more than just a few ways to log time in Tempo is one of the many things that make it great and easy to use. Granted there are ways to improve, i believe it will only get better and better as time goes on.

Pros

What i like most about this software is the ease of use for the over 200 users we have that need to log their hours for work done on projects across our organization. The way we have set things up makes it super simple for users to find the project they worked on, mark certain tasks as favorites so taht they dont have to dig every time they need to log their time, and the reporting features that are available out of the box are great.

Cons

What i like least about the software is the fact that we are not able to manipulate the reports to add custom data without further custom development (e.g. an add-on). what i mean by this? because Tempo Timesheets integrates directly with JIRA Cloud, JIRA has a feature where you can add custom user properties for each user in your organization, however Tempo does not allow the administrator to add those custom user properties to any of the reporting features within Tempo without custom development.

Easy and effective time tracking

Great timesheeting tool with excellent integration with Jira and superb reporting

Pros

Tempo Timesheets is easy to install, configure and use. The Chrome plug-in is helpful to start and stop the timer and the reporting is excellent. It’s deep integration with Jira makes it unparalleled as a time tracking tool for Jira

Cons

The roadmap of new features is a bit slower than I’d like.

Does most things well

Pros

Integration with Jira. Integration with tickets in Jira. Different views (calendar, task, etc.). Relatively easy to log tasks.

Cons

Can only log hours for the last three weeks. I will sometimes log my work one month at a time, so I need to be able to go back 4 weeks when adding items. This setting cannot be changed and it has been the most frustrating aspect of this tool.

Close, but no cigar.

Its mostly fine, but if there was something that fit my needs better, I would switch.

Pros

Generally, it is fairly easy for my team to log their time, and it is good that they can log it on EPICs rather than specific issues.

Cons

It's really clunky to administer the team and projects. There's no way to automatically add new projects to the team, and add new team members by default. Most importantly, the billing model is really frustrating. We do client work, and clients have access to our Jira -- But, clients will never ever log time. I don't believe that I should have to pay for those users as Tempo users. There should be an actual per-seat billing model, where I only pay for users who use tempo.

Good Option for Existing Atlassian Users

While Tempo does provide distinct reporting benefits and ease of use to existing Atlassian (JIRA) customers, improvements could certainly be made to its permissions schemes and pricing model. If you are familiar with JIRA and have the knowledge and patience to properly configure the application, Tempo can be a very useful tool for data reporting and invoicing. If you are looking for a simpler, cheaper means to track time, however, I would recommend exploring alternative options.

Pros

Tempo Timesheets is an effective way to log and manage time entries for existing Atlassian users. The application integrates seamlessly with the JIRA project management platform, allowing users to log time through individual tasks and tickets, which then passes through to Tempo's custom reporting and approval dashboard. The inherent time entry approval process built into Tempo ensures data integrity, as only admin-level users are allowed to approve, reject, and edit submitted entries. The reporting functionality allows users to create custom time reports based on user, project, account, and several other category designations, which is great for organizing and assessing your time data.

Cons

Like most Atlassian products, the permissions scheme in Tempo is both complex and delicate. Familiarity with JIRA user AND project permissions is essential to proper use of the application, as misconfiguration can lead to corrupt or inaccurate data reporting. Tempo also lacks direct integration with popular accounting and CRM software such as QuickBooks, which makes service invoicing a more manual process. There is also no current means to distinguish JIRA users who need access to Tempo from JIRA users who do not, which means you will be charged a monthly service fee for each JIRA user, regardless or whether or not they actively use the application. This results in a higher monthly service fees, which can make Tempo less affordable to some users.

This enables blind micromanagement

It is good, maybe a litle heavy weight UI.

Pros

A nice step towards a time-tracking software. I think that today (2019), developers track time, they track it only for purposes of customer invoicing.

Cons

Enables micromanagement. It takes about 15minutes to look for each issue I worked on that day, or multiple mental task-switches during the day. Don't get me wrong... this tool is required in some situations, as mentioned above. I am leaving my company for exactly this reason: I do not want to do mental task-switches... While logging after each task, small tasks become lengthier and I can get as many done in a row, because it is more difficult to move my focus between execution and retrospective reflection. That is why I try to log my time only in the evening, or the next morning. Read about it... it is a horrible thing, what a task switch does to your focus in the long-term.

Billing and tracking time with one simple tool

We've used different time tracking software in the past, but as soon we migrated to Jira, Tempo Timesheet helped us achieve many things. Mainly: - users DO log their time! - it took very few documentation and "training" for the whole team to be on board - Our customers appreciate the level of detail we can get from reports. No need to export Jira issues to give them detail - We can easily track "hours budgets" for our customer using the API! That way, we are able to generate new revenu with our customers.

Pros

It takes no time to configure and no time to bring the team to use it. There's also so many ways to add work logs that there's no reason to lose track of time worked on Jira. Users do not need to go to a different page or app to use it. It shows up in Jira issues, as trackers directly in Chrome and there's many Jira dashboard gadget available to keep track of our teams. Reporting is extremely easy. Not only is it easy to generate reports using different filters and groups but the exporting options work very well and we use them with every invoices we create The support team is also very good! They stay in touch and do everything they can to help.

Cons

There is not much that I don't like. As any customer I do have very specific wish list for potential features and some are not available. But in the end, Timesheets does what it is suppose to do.

My Tempo Life!

This allows us to manage the time of our employees and consultants worldwide and is important to be able to use this data to see where we need help and where we have too much help... I am overall a happy 7 year customer! However we expect Tempo to keep being at the forefront of this technology.

Pros

The software is good and simple and very effective, though the server version is different from the cloud version. Simple for end users to understand Good reporting Most times very fast Cost efficient Good customer service Great technical support Data is encrypted

Cons

Not allowing users to submit time cards after three weeks It allowing time Magner’s to be able to approve or reject time cards when viewing a time card after three weeks server version allows this At Times it’s slow and the page shows tempos homepage yet it’s hosted in the cloud we refresh and it works At times it takes a while to resolve issues but you always do resolve them

It's getting better

It's pretty easy to plan the workload and track the team burnout pace.

Pros

Overall, I'd say it covers the needs. The progress Tempo development team made in past year is pretty impressive. Trackers became way easier to use. The reports are great, easy to customize.

Cons

That I can't buy the license only for the users I need tracker for. I have a bunch of people in Jira that don't need the tracker, but I'm paying for them anyway. It's a bit of a downside.

Very good - would recommend

Overall very good. Support has provided quick turnaround on any questions. Bug fixes and improvements continue at a good pace, and the improvements are quality ones.

Pros

For issue-oriented end-users (e.g. developers), it's a great tool. * Easy to use * Seamlessly integration with Jira * Easy administration

Cons

For account oriented end-users, there's an impedance mismatch. These users just want to log time against an account. Logging time against an issue and then assigning it to an account never feels right to them, and it's their biggest complaint. Tempo's solution is Internal Issues, but that doesn't resolve this usability issue for these users. Does not support labor categories well - especially when a user performs different roles with different labor categories in a project. It can be partially worked around with work attributes. Reporting works great for what's built-in but still needs improvement. E.g. reports of hours by combinations of project, account, user, role, work-attributes are needed. Dumping into Excel is the workaround here.

Tempo timesheets

Good accountability of hours logs for financials purpouse and project management

Pros

The ease to extract various reports, user friendly for logging hours, easy use to edit logs if necessary, access priviledge

Cons

The posibiliti to extract reports filtered by multiple teams

Tempo is good

We had a issue of developers time tracking in proper way which should align with Jira. Tempo was a good selection to us.

Pros

Tempo is very easy to use compare to other tool. Its seamless integration with Jira, make our life easier for the project managment.

Cons

Tempo cost if bit higher compare to other altnatives.

Hello Indika, Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We work hard to make Tempo Timesheets easy to use and we appreciate your positive feedback! Best, Sarah from Tempo

I like Tempo!

We use Tempo to collect the worklogs of our dev team which are then used to bill our clients. Also, we use Tempo reports to compare the initial estimation of a ticket to the time that is actually logged.

Pros

I love that timelogs get connected to particular jira issues which is very useful when analyzing them and comparing the logs to the initial estimation. This is something that cannot be done with Toggl and it's the biggest reason we don't use Toggl.

Cons

The old Reports page from Jira server was quicker to use. There were fewer steps that you need to do to see the timesheets and you can very quickly switch between different projects or from a project report to user report. Saying that the newer timesheets page in Jira Cloud is much more powerful.

Review from an experienced power user

As said Tempo Timesheets is a big contributor to our overal eco system in our company. We integrated it completely in our in-house developed ERP/Finance system. We link it with BI tooling to make the best decisions on our data.

Pros

Tempo Timesheets is the backbone of our company. We use it daily as we need the timesheets to registrate our worklogs and get paid. I like the new reporting style, the API options and the dynamic use of the software.

Cons

We can't configure a safe way for our customers to use Jira without them accessing the worklogs. As this is a big deal for us that our customers are not allowed to see the worklog before we check/manage them this is a big miss for us.

Great For Developers

We're solving the issue of tracking time for developers that don't clock in and out with a time clock. We want to know that they're keeping busy and this let's us see what they've been working on down to the individual ticket.

Pros

As both a user and administrator, I like Tempo Timesheets because it was easily integrated into the workflow of our software development team. I get a great visual overview of who is using it (and who is slacking off) by just glancing at the dashboard. I also love that I can log time right within the tickets. This is a very simple to use product and that's just what my team needs!

Cons

The permission structure took some time to get figured out. It was fairly convoluted for me to see my own team's time even as the administrator. I figured it out but it took a good deal of reading and experimentation.

Tempo Timesheets for Jira Server

Very positive! Everyone enjoys it and I don't receive any negative feedbacks about it.

Pros

The interface is very user friendly, it allows all team members to quickly fill out their timesheets. That was our #1 requirement when we switched to Tempo Timesheets. Our previous solution made this tedious and team members would be reluctant to properly enter their time. In addition, the options at our disposal (different teams, reports, admin) allows us management to easily bubble up all required info.

Cons

Even though we consider it is worth it, it is the most expensive timesheet plugin in the Atlassian Marketplace. Also, there is a bug that annoys me personally: when logging work and navigating quickly through the fields (jumping to the "time" part with TAB), any value entered too quickly would be wiped by a refresh that happens in the background. I'm to blame as well for that because I did not report it yet. :)

Tempo works for me.

Pros

I like that it is easy to add time from JIRA and I don't need to go to a separate application.

Cons

I wish there was an easier way to get the information from Tempo to accounting software (i.e. Quickbooks Online) currently I have to copy the information over line by line when invoicing.

Great tool in an agile world

We've merged two different companies in the last year, with different (and complex) time reporting solutions. Our biggest problems is the company structure we have. It doesn't fully align with Jira's thought of how a project is defined, where in Jira a project is tracking the life cycle of a product and in ERP a project is what a project manger traditionally would define as a project. Tempo as a tool on it's own is really easy and intuitive to both administer and use. For a simpler (more modern) company structure it would have been a much easier implementation.

Pros

The ease of use for end users, it's very easy to on board new users to have their time reported.

Cons

Our management would like to have a bit more configuration when it comes to the reports, especially utilization to not only take logged time into account, but also include expected time. Lacking approval on account basis rather than just full timesheet.

Tempo may be helping me...

I like the reports. These are very easy for me and for team leads to track the team's efforts by task and individual. However, the usage of tempo is misleading. The effort estimate used by Tempo is not basic to Jira which means it doesn't play well with others (e.g. Capacity Tracker). Therefore, my experience is somewhat negative. Should I be able to find a good reporting tool to the effort in Jira, I will probably stop using Tempo.

Pros

The reporting mostly. Time tracking is available in Jira so other than reports, I don't see much value

Cons

I'm using Capacity tracker to plan my sprints and Tempo for tracking the team's efforts. These two tools don't work well together. Moving to Tempo Planner would increase my costs by a lot.