Trello Logo

Trello

Visual collaboration tool for shared project perspectives

Trello Reviews - Page 6

23,166 reviews

Angelo D.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Amazing for managing projects and teams

Overall I used it for 2yrs for work and keeping track of my personal stuff as well. If you want something easy to use and simple and be up and running quick use trello.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to use the product and get up and running. The plugins for github let me track all the pull requests and repos of students to see progress on coding projects.

Cons

Github is amazing but they need to add more useful plugins like that and it would be top notch.

Zee G.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Perfect for Small Team Project Management

I love it! :) It's one of the best project management tools for projects that require flexibility and I really enjoy working with Trello.

Pros

- Trello is extremely user-friendly. I have been using it for many years (over 6) and I love the direction the company's going. - I love products that have a good design. Trello is one of those, where you can easily customize the look and feel, add labels (including those with color-blind people! very thoughtful!), and cute Taco the dog stickers. - You can create as many boards with as many columns...

Cons

Having worked with two Atlassian's products - JIRA and Trello, I miss the JIRA's sprints (perhaps that's available in the premium version of Trello, but, as I said above, I haven't used it.) That way, it's easy to create reports for the management when you have a completed sprint and the few tasks that are moved further along. It's also easier to plan the work ahead with sprints. Oh well.

MH

MEHJABEEN H.

Design, 1-10 employees

project management with trello

I have use many project management apps and softwares before trello. But none has the ability to function as an editorial calendar, project management pipeline and much more. I depend on trello for my work, business and personal life. My weekly schedule, my blog, even my gardening is managed on trello. All my ideas would just get lost without trello. It's like having a virtual accountability partner

Pros

the ability to have a pipeline for all your projects

Cons

the fact that it can be very confusing at first. Powerup functionalities can improve

DS

Dima S.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Great project managing tool for freelancers and teams

I'm a freelance graphic designer, working remotely with clients all over the globe. Trello allows me to keep track of all tasks I'm working on with clients, and keep discussions focussed. I can't imagine managing a complex project over email any more. Also it allows me to cut most meeting calls, as most of things could be discussed directly in Trello.

Pros

It's very flexible, very easy to use. It's possible to set up a Kanban style flow, or any other way you find useful. One of the biggest advantages that it has quite functional free plan. This allows me to invite my clients to the boards and manage complex projects without any financial investment. It has a mobile app which helps to keep track of tasks when i'm on the go.

Cons

With time I learned that Trello works best when we setup certain rules or scenarios of how tickets are created and managed. So it needs a bit of setting up to do in the beginning, and understanding GTD and Kanban helps. I have to agree on how we would use the board with my clients and team so we don't clutter the boards. But once we get the system working for us it works perfectly.

Jeremiah P.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

The simplest project management tool I've ever used

Trello is incredible. For a small, agile, team trying to manage the day-to-day operations, it's perfect. If you're looking for something to manage organizations in the hundreds or thousands, or something with sophisticated reporting, I'd look at other options.

Pros

Trello is dead simple. It takes about 30 seconds to signup and start using it for task management, and another 15 minutes to start understanding how to do some more sophisticated tasks with the tool. It's also extremely easy to use for collaboration. Because of the easy signup it's better than most tools for bringing in other team members and easily working them into the everyday flow of the software. I...

Cons

There's not much to dislike about Trello when used for smaller teams/organizations. The core features are definitely a bit limited compared to other top project management tools, but there's a lot of really solid additions on paid plans that help level it up. It probably wouldn't be my choice for project management in an organization of hundreds, but for our purposes it works extremely well.

SD

Sam D.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Collaboration tool that keeps people on track

One of the things that can be difficult when getting people to collaborate is keeping conversations distinct from each other. Someone will write an email with a few questions or different updates included, and everyone starts replying - some in reference to some of the points, and others to other ones. The benefit of using Trello is that you can keep conversations focused due to the board and card based approach. It's easy to follow the thread of what has been discussed and your reply is always in context and won't be confused with any other subject.

Pros

I liked the easy to understand layout, and the fact that you can easily move things around or relabel them if you need to. The ability to attach different media is good and the interface is nicely customisable. It's great how people from different organisations can easily collaborate. The things that are most active are the most visible in the interface, which is great for keeping your attention.

Cons

I found some of the default settings a little confusing and frustrating. For instance, if you add an image to a card, it's automatically set as the cover image (I couldn't see a way to switch this off). I think that once things get archived, they seem a little hard to revisit, but this is something you occasionally need to do to refer back. These are minor issues really though and I'm sure the interface will keep on improving.

VE

Vineet E.

Medical Devices, 11-50 employees

Great, no-frills workflow and management tool

Trello has helped uniquely mobilize my engineering team, allowing us to create a unique system combining the best parts of agile and traditional waterfall development for our medical device hardware workflow. It helps us realize changes to devices in a sustaining engineering project much more easily, with the full team understanding what everyone is doing and what the end goal is.

Pros

Lightweight and Easy to learn. For the features that exist, Trello executes them quite well, and the readability and usability of the software is excellent. I like the ability to separate work into columns and provide a custom workflow. The assignment tools allow me to keep team members directly responsible for getting tasks done on time. the integrations with other platforms allow for easy file management and attachment of relevant documentation.

Cons

Add-ons don't always make sense and could use some better screening by Trello. They aren't quite as intuitive and sometimes they make the experience clunky. Trello could also do a better job showing how different card management strategies can be tailored for use in specific applications/industries. Currently, there isn't a lot of direction for new users and often it takes time to feel out the best practices of the platform.

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Great Way to keep track of projects in a virtual team

Like any tool, the crux of the matter is wether you can get your team to adopt it and use it, rather than just keep plowing along with email. But my experience has been that the visual way that you can get a lot of information represented with one glance and the flexibility of how you do this, combined with the notifications (email, computer, mobile apps) makes it far superior to email and my team has realized this.

Pros

This visual way this represents information and the flexibility in how this information is represented on the 'board' and within each 'card' makes this an invaluable tool for our virtual team. I like most that this software gives you a visual representation of your work. You can see at a glance where things are at. We use it for client projects with multiple milestones to see where we are in each of...

Cons

The way usernames are created seems a bit random. For example my colleage, lets call him "Frank Michaels" gets a username assigned that looks like this @frankmich2453 - when I want to address him (tag him) in a conversation to ensure he gets an altert that this is something he needs to look at, this weird, random username gets used. Its not really an issue with functionality as much as aestetics and defintely not a deal breaker.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 201-500 employees

The perfect tool to follow up team tasks and projects

The main use of Trello is the team follow up by following the tasks, the due date and the projects. This is the best tool to work together within a team and to keep all tasks organized and well assigned. Coupled to Microsoft Outlook, Teams and Project, it is the best combination to manage a team and big projects.

Pros

Trello is very easy to understand and to use. The dashboard is very clean and easily useable. There are very high quality features such us assigning tasks to team, with due dates, with priority levels, ... Trello can be integrated to other softwares such us Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Teams. We also set up a ticketing tool to solve all customer requests and bug reports.

Cons

Nothing I really didn't like about Trello... Maybe be one thing could be improved : it is the history of the actions done on the task and tiles. At the moment, the history is too loaded and sometimes it is not easy to find the most important actions done.

TB

Tyler B.

E-Learning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great product management for a team

A great product management tool for coordination. It took me some time to get used to all it could do and how I wanted to use it, but now I really enjoy it. The best part is the free option to use it (which is what I use) and it works well for my needs.

Pros

Customizability and flexibility. I have really enjoyed using Trello at our university to coordinate course development across multiple departments. When I develop a course, it is easy to have each column of task cards in Trello be a week, with each task card an activity or page within my course. The checklist feature on the task cards is great for assigning items for different team members to do from...

Cons

Practice makes perfect. Trello is a great system, but it does take some initial effort to really streamline the way you want to use it. Because of its customizability and flexibility, it can be easy to get overwhelmed at first with all the features. You also need to work with your team members you invite to coordinate on Trello to get them used to checking it regularly before you start to see its true potential.

Ty C.

Paper & Forest Products, 10,001+ employees

My favorite personal project management tool ever!

It always does exactly what i need it to do. Never dealt with bugs, sync issues. Provides me a lot of relief managing my day to day. No matter what device i am near i can add something to a list and continue along.

Pros

I have used many different project management/personal organization tools and none of them ever seemed to "stick" until Trello came along. The app is fantastically built with an incredible UX no matter the device. They haven't overloaded it with unnecessary extra junk and i appreciate that. They stick to their core mission and do the right things really, really well and it's because of that i still use it. Using it as a collaborative tool is also great. It might not be DevOps and some people may knock it for that but there is definitely a place for it in an agile organization.

Cons

I personally don't consider this a criticism but i could see how some would say its not good enough as an enterprise project management tool. I can understand where they are coming from BUT my primary use of this platform is personal project management and task management. I also think most projects could easily employ a agile model facilitated by Trello but it's really a personal preference.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Great tool for project management

Trello is our go-to tool for planning and executing projects. We use it to plan and execute projects across multiple teams and functions and it works very well - everyone knows how to use it, everyone follows the boards, works great. We use Asana for my team and Trello for cross-company project planning.

Pros

- Trello is great for planning and executing projects - It's especially useful when multiple teams/depts are involved - Unlike Asana, it's easy to add freelancers and external partners to Trello and have them follow the workflow - Trello is super easy to set up and use - No enablement is needed - it's just intuitive

Cons

- The functionality is very basic and upgrading to paid plan costs the same as Asana (which has more goodies for us) - When we have boards with external parties and try to upgrade, we need to pay for the 'guests' as well and that blocks us - Sub tasks don't have a deadline functionality, which is a pity

Lee Q.

Building Materials, 501-1,000 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Great Software for Small Teams

It is great for small teams that aren't strictly held to a standard for regular sprint cycles. If you want a quick SCRUM or KANBAN experience for a hobby or small project it is perfect. If you're looking to manage a large scale development project, it is not scalable.

Pros

It's very easy to use and extremely flexible for many styles of project management. Using it on several of my side projects not related to the core of my development role, I have been able to easily keep track of progress and manage the workflow for a small team and small projects. The plugins were fun to use as well. I really liked the "aging cards" effect for cards that haven't moved through the workflow fast enough.

Cons

As a developer on many projects, Trello became cumbersome when we needed to scale and manage multiple projects. I wanted to, but the costs and features seemed to limit the scope of what we could do with various agile teams on numerous projects. I think it would have worked, but our contractors were looking for something more along the lines of JIRA for software development project management. We never got to try out multiple features or plugins with Trello as a whole. I did get to use it to manage my tasks related to JIRA issues, which was okay, but I eventually opted for tasks in JIRA. In short, it is hard to clearly define sprints and tasks for those sprints without having to repeatedly create new labels or new boards to separate sprints.

MF

Maryl F.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Trello is your team's organizational sandbox

We use Trello every day to give the company team-wide access to where we are in the pipeline of our projects. Any team member can be added to any board to see, add and edit cards. Trello has great integrations with other platforms we use such as Hubspot and Google suite. You can easily create a new card by sending to a specific email address which streamlines the flow of regular processing. We greatly appreciate the regular updates from the Trello team, they seem to be regularly updating the software and adding benefits to their already solid product.

Pros

Trello is easy to use, easy to customize and visually appealing. Their customer service and regular updates are impressive.

Cons

I personally have no drawback to this software, we have utilized this on our team for years, tried other software for the same systems and keep coming back to Trello.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Does it's job without all of the frills

I use Trello both for my individual work as well as department-wide requests. Trello allows me to hold co-workers accountable for submitting requests and maintaining a detailed change log, which often gets lost or can be difficult to backtrack when managing requests via email, chat tools, or in-person.

Pros

Trello is easy to use, requires little-to-no training or enablement, and just gets the job done. Though the add-ons available for a free account are rather minimal, I find that the additional features provided by premium accounts are often unnecessary and cause a lot of noise. When looking for a tool to maximize efficiency of ticket completion, I find less is more.

Cons

Very easy to accidentally delete information in a ticket without noticing, with no way to undo changes. The permissions available to restrict certain people from editing cards are limited, and would be very helpful when creating cards that are supposed to serve as templates, for example, which would ideally be locked and available for copying only.

MW

Michael W.

Publishing, 11-50 employees

Great Tool for Staying on Track

It's a great tool. The paradigm of board / list / card is easy to follow and simple to teach to even the most technophobic user.

Pros

Trello's "board / list / card" format makes it great for sharing tasks and passing them over to other departments to track production flow. Our company produces upwards of 200 new products per year so the production details are passed between departments and handed-off with ease with this tool.

Cons

The Free Tier versus the Business Tier is a big jump. There's very little room to tiptoe into the commercial version of the tool. The Business version is expensive for large organizations. That being said, the free tier does everything we need it to do. The biggest downside of this system is that you can potentially back up the system by downloading json files, but there is NO TOOL to restore lost data! One would have to manually re-enter every card and every detail in the system which would be a disaster. They really do need to focus on their import/export abilities which are currently completely nonexistent.

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

I didn't ask for shared to-do lists... but here we are!

Overall I have found Trello to be of benefit both personally and to our team. Trello has helped our management keep track of each team member's workloads from a big picture standpoint, and has helped with distribution (and re-distribution) of work. It has also been beneficial to me in terms of organizing and keeping track of the work that I'm doing. As someone naturally disorganized, this is a major compliment. It has been so helpful that I am considering using it for my personal projects as well.

Pros

Trello is an organizational powerhouse. Personally, neither my mind nor my typical work style are very organized -- I'm all about scattered thoughts and scattered notes. Trello offers a myriad of solutions for the problem that is me. From separate boards for separate projects/task types, to separating lists of cards by various types, to individual cards, the organization options offered by Trello's...

Cons

Aside from its many organizational functions, which are stellar, the main draw of Trello is that it allows for sharing and collaboration among users. My team (10-20 people), for example, uses a single shared Trello board, with card lists for each team member, across all of our projects. Since everyone can see everything, this has led to occasional weirdness between members of our team. Perhaps this...

DS

Der S.

Computer Games, self-employed

Trello, awesome for ToDo lists but in need of improvement

Trello is an ingenious site to create ToDO lists. I know a few companies that use Trello and I do. I use Trello to create ToDo lists for the completion of my computer game. So current problems are listed there and colored whether the problem still exists or has been fixed. When I have new ideas, I create a Trello map. So I have my ideas, important things and problems directly in one place. I have tested a CMS for my webserver that works similar to Trello. However, it has always turned out that Trello is the better choice.

Pros

There are some positive things, but also some that bother me. One of the positive features of Trello is that it is absolutely free. I can use it without any costs and have all my information in one place. Trello's smartphone app helps me stay up to date and add new ideas even when I'm on the go. The website is quickly loaded even if the internet is not so good and you can access everything quickly and easily.

Cons

What really bothers me about using Trello is that you can only create these vertical boxes and then always add new lists to the right. In the beginning that's ok, but with larger collections of ideas, problems or todo-things in general, the board quickly becomes confusing. With my current board I have to scroll 10 minutes to the right (Of course that's a bit exaggerated, but you know what I mean, don't you?) to get to my other lists. In any case, I hope for a better user interface that is clearer and makes it easier to work with a team on the board.

Ishanka M.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

My favorite, simple and easy to use task management tool on the Internet

The ease of use and layout makes this great for smaller projects, but also holds the platform back from fulfilling the needs of bigger operations. With my experience with Trello, I think it is a must-have tool for freelancers, small companies and new startups.

Pros

Trello is a project management software that allows teams to collaborate on a project. This platform is commonly used by software development teams, small startups, and entrepreneurs who are working together with a team to create a product of sorts. It allows for easy communication, updates on tasks, and the general oversight of a project. Through my experiences of working with the software platform,...

Cons

Limited Storage - In the freemium model, the most each file attachment can be in size is 10 MB. This can be problematic if the team needs to view a PDF, video, or slide deck presentation that you are trying to add to the board. This can easily be resolved by a user posting a link on Trello of a google drive file, but the creation of that google drive file may come as an inconvenience. Commenting - As progress is made, you may want to edit a comment made previously to avoid confusion among team members. Trello does not allow for editing comments, which can come as a hassle. Instead, you must write a new comment.

VH

Vanessa H.

Real Estate, self-employed

I LOVE TRELLO!!!! It will change your life.

Best organizational tool out there! Highly recommend for home and work use. The possibilities are endless.

Pros

Everything!!! The customization, the integrations, the data it can sort/ share, team collaboration, organizational flows (for personal and work related items). Trello has change my life and my clients lives. I manage real estate listings and transactions for clients in here and they can see everything I do. They know exactly where they are in the listing or transaction process and we can easily...

Cons

The downside it you have to share whole boards, not just specific cards. It would be the end all be all if they could build in this feature. It has been my greatest struggle with my business model.

AV

Alfredo V.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Improve productivity of your team

One of the main mistakes in teams is lack of comunication. With Trello all your team will know what taks are prioritary, steps to acomplish them and who is the responsible of do it. As a manager you get a simple view of the task you delegate. As an employee you get a list of task and status of this tasks.

Pros

It's 100% free. You can design the "canvas" as you decided. Personalize it, and make it usefull for you and your team.

Cons

When you start using a new app, some people refuse the change. This app needs the compromise of all your team, because it's not usefull if some people decide not to use it.

Khaled H.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

From team-management to project organization!

This software has allowed us to manage internal projects, work with consultants and external hires / outsourcing, hold team members accountable for goals, timelines, and long-term KPI's. It gives the freedom to managers to micro and/or macro-manage depending on their style.

Pros

Trello is one of those tools that is perfect for all user levels. For those just starting out, it's easy to organize anything in your life, from wedding planning, to family budgeting, to project management to research organization. For power users, you get the advantage of a plethora of tools and shortcuts that make project management a breeze.

Cons

Sometimes the platform is a little slow when jumping back and forth between different boards... but honestly it's nothing prohibitive. It may also be the shear number of boards, lists, and tickets that our team has using the free tier.

Julian J.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Simple and free tool for time management using Agile principles

We are a corporate training company and we use Trello to teach time management for corporate users. Our participants adopt very easily the tool and are ready to use it in minutes. I also personally use it to store information, manage small projects, plan my trips and collaborate with others. Simple and effective.

Pros

Trello is super easy to use and a very simple concept. However, it is amazing powerful and has lots of power ups and extensions to make it even more powerful. Its free and very intuitive. I use it with the participants in my workshops and they can all register and get it running in a couple of minutes.

Cons

Managing several boards can become cumbersome and Trello does not have an easy way to sync cards or lists among boards. With the purchase of Buttler a former third party power up, this is a bit better now, but still a big flaw.

EO

Ericson O.

Computer Games, 51-200 employees

Trello Review

We are using it as a tracking task progresses for Game development and also I use it as a tool for list bugs status.

Pros

What I like the most on Trello is the way of moving the card or progress so easy to designated list, And i like also the assigning people to the card who are working on in with included due date with each task, The notification is so reliable for us to remind us things we need to work on and when the date line is near, it set it as a reminder for us. We are using trello for tracking task progresses and prioritisation. Also as a QA engineer for the communication with the developer I am using it to list all bugs and issues with the system and assign it with the programmers. I like : Labeling with colors The Shortcut keys Attaching files in each card and also links website

Cons

What i did not like about it is that it does not have a graph or gant chart. And also to maximize the space the user can also move the list into the bottom of another list.

SH

Stephanie H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Indispensable Foundation To Our Productivity

We give our leaders full flexibility to utilize Trello, which has resulted in a lot of boards (list of lists, essentially). This is not overwhelming, however; the team knows how to utilize this system and, effectively, use this as a foundational means of communication. We use Trello to stay on track with yearly, quarterly, and weekly goals; we use Trello to plan events and coordinate all vendors, volunteers, supplies, and raw ideas; we even all use Trello in our personal lives, from making a weekly schedule, to meal planning, to gift managing!

Pros

What I love the absolute most about this software, is its malleable ability to record, monitor, transmit, and communicate an idea or task in every way necessary to our productivity. Tasks and ideas are easily moved between all necessary individuals and teams. Each member involved in the task is able to clearly communicate their progress along the way, and team members can watch other's progress leading up to their obligation. We use Trello to manage thousands of tiny micro-tasks, yet it all is cleanly and neatly organized to stay on-track and entirely avoid overwhelm.

Cons

At the moment, there is not a way to have the same card (task) on multiple lists/boards (the terms used by Trello to describe vertical lists and overall categories, respectively). You can make copies, but if one card is updated, the others will not also update. I understand the exclusion of this feature, but there have been many occasions where this would improve productivity and assist projects. For now, we simply make links to cards and boards.