AppFolio Property Manager Logo

Cloud-based property management software.

AppFolio Property Manager Reviews - Page 2

1,895 reviews

AA

Aria A.

Don't get involved with Appfolio

I should start by saying the product is great. It's robust, it's comprehensive, and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to use. But if you have a choice, don't get into bed with these guys. The customer support is beyond bad...good luck getting anyone on the phone. They recently switched to some sort of AI for customer support--and I didn't think it was possible to get worse--but I have...

Pros

It's useful and is pact with all of the bells and whistles

Cons

Just about every part of the user experience makes me wish we had never switched to Appfolio. Their customer service is so bad, it's legendary. They are the poster child for American corporate greed.

AS

Alison S.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Appfolio is great! But on the pricey side

I still compare my new property management software that we use to Appfolio. There are things I miss about it, but both have their pros and cons. However, with competitors offering equivalent software functionality while also being cheaper, we ultimately chose to switch to a different company for our property management software needs.

Pros

Appfolio is ubiquitous and versatile in its uses, and its design is easy to figure out and navigate. I most frequently used it for keeping track of rent payments, communications with tenants, track/generate/sign leases, and for tenants to use its tenant portal. We liked that tenants were able to pay their rent at 7-11. Surprisingly, a high percentage of tenants opted to do this as opposed to setting up payments via credit card on their tenant portal. The software itself ran smoothly, had no shortages or timeouts in the 6 years we used it, and didn't take up a lot of memory to run on our computers. We liked the phone app as well.

Cons

The company I worked for did not use the banking and accounting elements of the software to their full potential, due difficulties with the owners using Plaid via Appfolio to connect to their bank accounts, as well as privacy concerns with other owners who used the software as well. This made accounting/reconciliation difficult. The cost of the software is what ultimately lead us to decide to go...

TM

Tammy M.

Property Management with AppFolio

Overall, I love AppFolio. The system is clear, clean, and easy to follow and learn. A lot of the fields are self-explanatory and the help button is just a click away and the team with AppFolio does a good job with I ask for help. The explanations are clear, concise, easy to follow, and make sense. In the past 15 years, I have used many different software systems to track property management. AppFolio has been the easiest to navigate to get me the information I need and easy to use to manage all my properties.

Pros

AppFolio allows me to access my tenants and their information with a click of a button. It keeps all data about my tenant at my fingertips and also allows them to know what is going on with their lease, rent amounts, work orders, and other tasks they or I need to complete to keep our relationship working the best.

Cons

I wish that the tenant's application would stay with the tenant as the entire process progresses. When a person no longer is an applicant, but becomes a tenant and moves in, that application is stored elsewhere in the system. It would be more helpful to have the application stay with that new move-in. The application is always needed for legal issues. The system makes it easy to find but it seems it would be better served to stay within the entire process of the new move-in.

MK

Mike K.

AppFolio is the Apple of Prop Management Software

In general this is the best property management software on the market if you have a portfolio of 100 to about 1500 homes. Any smaller than that there might be simpler solutions that you could use in any larger than that you might need some customization that could be a little bit tricky to do an app folio. Before that midsize property manager this is the perfect product to really streamline your systems and give your residence and owners a great experience.

Pros

AppFolio simply works. Or should I say that it works simply. Whenever you're purchasing software the folks that are in charge of selling it will always tell you all the things that it can do. If I lined up at folio side by side next to various other property management software that I've used they all would check the boxes of doing all the things that you need them to do. However from using many...

Cons

Personally I find some of the accounting functionality to be a little bit challenging but that could be simply a part of me not being an accountant.

CH

Carrie H.

Wouldn't Recommend

We've overall been happy with Appfolio, but with their decision to charge our tenants $2.49 (from free) for EFT payments and how they rolled this out is frustrating. Appfolio spent a lot of time offering training on how to get tenants signed up for their portal, and how to "sell" the (then) free EFT payment option. Now, tenants either have to pay $2.49 for every EFT payment they make, or as the property...

Pros

We were happy with Appfolio until their new charge for tenant EFT payments.

SP

Susan P.

Commercial Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Best in Class!

We have a much better handle on our cash flow needs, both short- and long-term because of the data we capture using AppFolio. We are able to compare our operations month-over-month, quarter-over-quarter, and year-over-year to provide more accurate budgeting, analyze where we can improve our income stream, and reduce our expenses. In addition, it helps us to keep in closer contact with our residents to ensure their satisfaction and achieve higher retention rates and faster unit turns than ever before.

Pros

AppFolio offers an extremely user-friendly operating interface which is easily "teachable" when onboarding new team members. Their common sense, logic-based approach to property management solutions and associated accounting is refreshing in this industry. They LISTEN to their users and don't just look for the easiest solution; they seek out the most EFFICIENT and EFFECTIVE solutions when developing new enhancements to the product. Improvements are developed at a robust pace with meaningful, ongoing upgrades coming out almost daily! I could not be more impressed with AppFolio as a perfect solution for our quickly-expanding company.

Cons

Honestly, there is nothing that concerns or upsets me about AppFolio as a solution for our day-to-day property management, leasing, maintenance, or accounting operations. It has allowed the company to grow by double in the number of units under management in only 3 years without having to substantially add to staff, except for the on-site physical maintenance needs of such a fast-growing portfolio of rental townhome units; which is to be expected.

TJ

Tammy J.

We made the switch and NEVER looked back! Appfolio is the BEST

This software has given us TIME, yes time. What we were used to doing in another program and several others has been integrated into one and given us the time to manage more effectively across our portfolio. If I could give one word of advice, research and read everything you can to learn! Blogs, Social Media, Appfolio Discussion Centers it all will be so helpful and help you learn more about the program

Pros

After using the same software for 13 years we jumped feet first and made the switch to Appfolio and don't regret it! The ease of the software and ability to maneuver throughout the system makes learning the software so helpful. They are constantly updating the program to help us and the available message boards for users are great for ideas and problem solving.

Cons

We all have room for improvement, but Appfolio DOES listen and try to constantly improve the program. I am not going to lie the conversion was rough. So many things we were used to doing the program did for us so we were constantly rewriting OUR procedures as well. Change is difficult for us all but NOT always a bad thing. We went into it saying let's give it 4 months and see what we think. Thank goodness we did and stuck with it!

Hi Tammy, thank you so much for your review! We love that you listed all of the different resources - if you haven't already check out the User Community in the Help Center. A great space for property management professionals using AppFolio to network, share knowledge, and exchange best practices!

JM

Jessica M.

Commercial Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Using AppFolio for property management

I have been very pleased with AppFolio. For several years we have used it as its minimum abilities but more recently discovered it has many other features that make managing properties easier and more efficient. The online training articles are very helpful and most of the time answer all of our questions.

Pros

The software was easy to use. I started using it without any training but because I was familiar with several pother software programs was able to navigate through pretty easily. It's intuitive and user friendly. The self help articles are also very handy and most of the time answer my questions.

Cons

There is a minimum number of units we had to maintain in oder to begin using AppFolio. And a minimum monthly amount to spend. For serval years we had to pay for more than we needed to meet this minimum amount monthly. Because we bill our properties back per unit, our company had to incur the additional expense until we were large enough.

VM

Vivianq M.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

If you are in Property Management AppFolio is the best choice!

We all love using AppFolio!

Pros

The program is super user friendly and quality life changes are being made regularly to make the software better. Between adding features and their support system makes workflow with AppFolio easier than ever. They take suggestions made from customers/users and do their best to implement them. Training new employees to use AppFolio has gone from taking months to get someone able to use to just a few weeks.

Cons

They do make changes behind the scenes that sometimes effects the way you have something set up and you don't know it until it gets brought to someones attention.

VW

Valerie W.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great Software, needs timely customer care for established customers

Overall, I love the product and when I can get the assistance I need I am very happy. We aren't a huge company but we manage close to 300 doors, so we are respectable. We were the first users in our area and told everyone to switch to them. I still think they are better than any other PM software provider we have used and we have used several. My only complaint is the inability to get timely customer care responses. Honestly, service after the sale is VERY important!

Pros

Overall ease of use. Accounting based, online rent payments, and ability to connect all areas of property management together.

Cons

When we first started with Appfolio they were very quick to respond to our customer service needs. Now, all you get is an email that directs you to watch videos or to online chat. When you have already exhausted those options and you need to speak to ANYONE, it is impossible! I have waited over a month for someone to call me back. By the time they call I have forgotten what I needed, or the details of the transaction I needed help with. They need to hire more customer service reps. When they do call you they are very friendly and knowledgeable, but they usually give you a few minutes and if you need help with someone else while you have them on the phone they tell you to make another request. Then, it's back to the WAIT game.

AH

Arell H.

Dunes of Naples

we have invested over a year of our time and really need to have some one work with us on the set up. I have offered to pay for some one to fly out to us and provide housing to spend a few days with us. If that cant happen please assign someone to my account for just for a week so that we can move forward.

Pros

We thought it was user friendly, we liked the app, and through the demo process (8-10 sessions) along with we sent an organizational structure, a list of requirements and priorities. Those sessions led us to believe your software would fit our needs. We were told you were making investments at the organizational level and executive and development levels specifically with the Association product. We are committed to you but need you to be committed to us and provide some extensive help.

Cons

Many, Many, Many. Would value a productive meeting to lay out what we are missing on our end. We are a Condo Association which consist of 634 units and & high rises. I believe many of our issues are easily fixed but have not had any luck with most of them. Example: In roles under maintenance tech we need the tech to be able to take assign a work order to a vendor and have the ability to view architectural...

ZH

Zak H.

Growing Together

Appfolio was a great decision when I was looking at Property Management Software. I have used other software but this one saves me so much time and frustration. I could not imagine my team using any other tool.

Pros

One of my favorite things about this software is that I feel like Appfolio is growing with my company. The software has come so far in the last couple years with lots of new features. There have been multiple occasions where I have a problem and then in a couple days I get notified that Appfolio has created a solution to my problem. It is actually very weird but I don't believe in coincidences so I just right it off as a great partnership.

Cons

I wish that I could change the bank accounts that the properties use currently to a new one without having to work with someone at Appfolio.

SK

Sherry K.

Appfolio Review July2021

Appfolio is a great product and takes a lot of the user labor out.

Pros

I love how you can tie everything in from property to owner to tenant. You can click on the amount in any report to review a transaction. Attaching PDFs to the statements are fantastic. Communication is wonderful.

Cons

The finer accounting pieces. I would love to be able to run the balance sheet and click on Operating Cash to see what the balance of each bank account that makes up the Operating cash, then if I want to see by property, I could click on that total.

SK

Stacey K.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Newer user, Pleasant surprises, and managing challenges.

Our implementation team was great. We tested one building in the system (paid for it, not free) so that we had a real idea of what using it would be like. That gave part of our team a positive advantage. It is very easy to use although the language takes some getting use to and often at times -- people are up in arms about changes. If you can handle that, this software will be a great success.

Pros

It can be very user friendly if you invest the time to take advantage of what the system offers. It offers A LOT. When one thing doesn't work the way you want it to, it doesn't mean the system is bad. It is actually REALLY GOOD. It helps us encompass a lot of different platforms into one which was the main reason we chose it. We were pleasantly surprised how much we like using the software.

Cons

In our market, there are several items or tasks we need to perform or things we need to track that are often overlooked by property management software. Appfolio does know how to handle one task that is critical but it is not fully functional. When we choose the software, we thought because it was marketed as something that handled "NYC DHCR" leases but that's is misleading. As we were going live,...

DN

Derek N.

Modern Software for a Modern World

I love AppFolio. It really does make our jobs 10x easier. Property management is not glamourous and it is not easy, AF helps us make it just a little bit easier and glamourous. AF is a great platform that we enjoy using on a daily basis.

Pros

AppFolio fits in great with our culture and our business. It evolves as we do and caters to our needs. The "What's New" features are something that is looked forward to whenever they roll out. The ease of use is great and makes it very easy to onboard new employees and cross-train existing staff.

Cons

The #1 feature that would benefit our company would be a more streamlined and customizable API so that we could connect with other tools that we use. I think some of the APM Plus features should be included with the non-Plus version, or give us mid-sized businesses some a la carte options. THE WORKFLOWS! I love these workflows but they are too complicated for the lamen. I am fairly tech-savvy and it's too much for us. We've partnered with another outside company to create many workflows and automation using Monday.com and we would LOVE these to be inside AF.

AA

Allison A.

Promising Software / Horrible customer service

I could have had a great customer experience with appfolio, if they had better trained staff to answer your questions in a timely manner

Pros

I like the customization of this software. It is ideal if you manage a variety of portfolios. The dashboard and tasks menu are placed well and easy to navigate. The software uses a tab feature that allows to easily work with different tasks at a time. Excellent reporting features. Great mobile app

Cons

HORRIBLE customer service. The software is extremely robust, which will normally be a good thing. However, with that comes a lot of questions. Unfortunately only 1 out of 5 agents can help you. Most issues will have to be advanced to a senior agent . Once that happens you will have to EMAIL what your issue is or wait anywhere from 3-7 days for a scheduled phone call. So if your issue is time sensitive...

Hi Allison, thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. We do have a guaranteed response rate of 24-48 hours but many issues to require us to follow-up with more information is it is a more complicated accounting question. We do have a robust Help & Training center if you need assistance with accounting. We hope we can improve your experience moving forward!

BM

Brayden M.

Real Estate, self-employed

AppFolio is Powerful, Take the time to study it

Pros

This software is amazing. It has so many features from initial contact with prospective renters all the way through the rental process. It allows you to initiate online payments to vendors and owners. It is capable of creating HTML packets for posting to websites manually. It also posts automatically to about 30 other websites. It is awesome.

Cons

It has taken a lot of work to learn and I’m still learning a lot and I’ve been using it for 7 years. You have to treat it like learning a new language and dive in to understand each facet of the software.

Benjamin B.

Well-Rounded & Reliable

Appfolio has world class customer service with extremely quick response time. Implementing the software was as easy as it could have been. It still takes time and effort, but it is certainly worth it to be on such a streamlined software.

Pros

I love the ability to track collections, maintenance orders, and Tenant info/documents from my smartphone. This software gives me the option to have any staff work remote as needed and still do our jobs at 100% capacity.

Cons

Appfolio does a nice job at continuing to develop better features. One area that needs improvements is the ability to do inspections. It takes forever for photos to upload while at the property and uses a ton of data. Would be nice to be able to have the inspections saved locally to the phone and then upload all at once while on WiFi. This would speed up inspections drastically. Improving inspection templates is also needed.

Hi Benjamin, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback!

KL

Kate L.

Commercial Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Inadequate Commercial Real Estate Software

Absolutely horrible. Using Appfolio has done nothing but make my job harder. The priority with Appfolio is clearly residential property management. I am involved in every function of Appfolio every single day & cannot stand it. Getting AF involved in things, such as user setting changes & cash account transfers should be an option, NOT a requirement.

Pros

The system-wide search feature, ability to change dates & descriptions of items most of the time & expiration date on recurring JEs. So far, customer support has been great for me - very friendly & helpful.

Cons

-Reporting is awful. Columns can be added but report pdf process does not auto-adjust size to page, which means converting to Excel to adjust. There are reports that do not have totals so have to convert those, too.-The financial reports were inadequate, so had to "upgrade" Excel to use Connect Tool just to make the reports look like the ones in the old software.-Rent Roll does not show correct occupancy...

SH

Susan H.

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

JL

James L.

Great Initially but Caters to Larger Companies Now

My overall experience has been generally positive however I wish they would offer the same features and services to all of their clients regardless of their portfolio size. If you already have the technology available and a cost structure in place to offer these services, I don't see how portfolio size matters. Overall, it's a good product but they're starting to nickel and dime customers for services previously included in the monthly subscription prices. They're also releasing a lot of cool new tools such as the artificial intelligence assistance however you should verify that you're going to be able to access all of the tools you want to before signing up as you might discover that you don't meet their minimum portfolio size to take advantage of such features.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and that it's got everything integrated from inspections to maintenance to accounting to contract management. It also posts my listings to a bunch of websites automatically.

Cons

It was initially a perfect fit for our company. We wanted our website and property management software integrated and we loved the features such as the tenant portal etc. In the past couple of years, it seems that they are gearing themselves more toward large companies (1000+ units) as they are only making certain features available to their larger clients (i.e. Lisa AI / artificial intelligence secretary)...

SL

Susie L.

New Features Added Almost Daily

Streamlining client and tenant on-boarding. Utilization of online apps, leases, renewals, inspections, and management contracts.

Pros

We have had great success with AppFolio. Our interactions with customer service are productive. It seems like new or updated features are being added almost on a daily basis. Users can drill down into reports with more precision, new options are added on tenant and owner portals, and improvements to the dashboard customization are only a few examples. The company listens to their customers needs and wants - and then delivers! We have no intention of shopping for a new software company for our property management needs.

Cons

Reporting is hard to learn for new users. I believe this is because there are so many options, with new options being added all the time.

DL

Danny L.

Facilities Services, 11-50 employees

Data Configuration and Segregation of Data by Association

I think overall it has been a good experience but the on-boarding team should highlight the things we need to do to make it easier down the road when we grow to more that 2 or 3 associations. When doing work for an association we need ways of setting temporary defaults to allow to do billing, payments, reporting etc. without having to enter the association over and over. Even this survey was not set up right. You ask what the industry was and none of them dealt with what we do like Association Management.

Pros

It is easy to use for sure and support and on boarding was great.

Cons

The product is too slanted toward rentals or property management with one association. If you had 60 associations in a portfolio you have all your GL Accounts, Bank Accounts, Vendors all together. This is just good design from a functional stand point making customers name things to know the difference. You should keep things separated by Association. Weak design from a data structure point of view making it fit the small companies but not good for the larger portfolios.

BC

Brandon C.

Requested Features Still Have Not Been Added

The software does a very good job, I fee like they could make some changes to make it a little more customizable and it could be great!

Pros

The accounting is the most robust I have found and do like most of those features.

Cons

I am still unable to text all my tenants at once for emergency situations, this has been requested for years now by hundreds of managers along with myself and its obvious that Appfolio does not listen to most requests no matter how many people have asked for it. I also do not like that I cannot use an outside screening source and the very high cost to screen through appfolio. I also do not like the high cost of a website.

MM

Marna M.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Moved from desk top to online Appfolio

My business was desk top based before Appfolio. I had no idea that we were in the dark ages and since we have upgraded to Appfolio the business much more efficient in comparison. Our owner client base has increased in the past year. The website is user friend to navigate, applying is simple, great layout and appearance. I feel fortunate be with Appfolio since most of us do not see each other and the office is close to the public but we are still able to work efficiently even from home. Best decision I ever made for my brokerage.

Pros

The program is intuitive. If you think through the process of how something should work...that is Appfolio in a nutshell. The programming and processes just make sense. The interface is user friendly and I am very fortunate to have found this program and would highly recommend this online software. It's increased our reach in advertising rentals, streamline our communication with owners and tenants, higher efficency in processing work orders and simplified our bookkeeping.

Cons

I do not have a background in bookkeeping so there are areas that mistify me such as clearing accounts, what constitutes a debit or credit in some areas of the program since a negative symbol is not always a debit in the system. I've only been doing this for 1.5 years but I'm learning. I've hired an additional company who is proficient in Appfolio to assist me since I am still in the learning curve.