AppFolio Property Manager Logo

Cloud-based property management software.

AppFolio Property Manager Reviews - Page 4

1,893 reviews

PC

Pamela C.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Always evolving to keep up with or ahead of the customer!

Loved it then, loving it even more now, hope to never stop using it.

Pros

Most people don't like change, need change and can't get it or can't get it quick enough. Appfolio is so user friendly, allows you to train yourself, reach out for support when needed or allows you to interact with other users in a forum. They say it takes a village sometimes and Appfolio has created that village atmosphere. You have options and so many paths to take but without the feeling of getting...

Cons

There have been a few work arounds or new features we didn't quite get it to work the way we wanted but most of it is personal pickiness or just not having the time to train and find a way to make it work. The inspections I know are being updated and getting there but really hoping to be able to do inspections onsite, pictures, notes, having tenants sign electronically off on move in and out condition notes as well as sending them copies at completion as we've seen with some other apps and software programs outside of Appfolio.

BH

Bill H.

Commercial Real Estate, 1-10 employees

A "looking forward" Solution

This software has made our lives easier, and more productive. I have been able to send funds to a client who needed them desperately from the deck of a cruise ship. We are all very happy with our choice of AppFolio.

Pros

We have been using AppFolio for five years now. In that time, the features and adaptability of the software have increased significantly. When adopted the software, it really wasn't really geared toward commercial properties or owners associations. Since that time, they have really made it a great solution for us in those segments of the property management profession. They listen. They make...

Cons

Nothing so far. Another Pro: Another example occurred shortly after the first conference I attended. I was sitting at one of the outstanding mixers. A gentleman sat down next to me, said that he was with AppFolio. He asked if I had any suggestions as a new user. I said that as a data entry convenience (I'm an old programmer from the '60s), I was all about reducing keystrokes. I mentioned that it would be nice if you were in a date field that you could change the date by tapping the + or - keys. Turns out that he is one of the leaders of the firm, and the feature was activated in most date fields by the end of the week.

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Bill and for continuing to partner with AppFolio. We look forward to continuing to work together!

LP

Laura P.

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

AppFolio - a well-rounded leasing and accounting software

Our property management company decided to use AppFolio when we brought all of our bookkeeping in house, taking it from a 3rd party bookkeeping company. At first, we were just looking for bookkeeping software, and AppFolio fit the bill in a reasonably priced package. We soon came to realize how many more features there were with AppFolio, at no additional cost, and how we can streamline much of our leasing process to save time and eliminate typos and duplication of effort. And we came to find out how AppFolio listens to its user and improves its product - "What's New" item pop up weekly or more often! We've made several suggestions ourselves, and now they're part of AppFolio functionality! We consider AppFolio our partner in helping us serve our investors and our tenants.

Pros

There are several things that I like about this software. I think the top of my list is that there is so much functionality related to apartment leasing/management that is all integrated - basic general ledger accounting, tenant accounts receivable, screening applicants, online leasing, attachment of invoices, statements, agreements, etc to appropriate pages in AppFolio, vendor payments, owner payments, 1099's, financial reporting, etc, and on top of that, it's an online platform available from any computer or mobile device, live and up-to-date for all users.

Cons

Currently my biggest frustration is RUBS for utilities. The feature is set up in such a manner that we are unable to use it because it allocates costs to anything considered a "unit" which for us includes non-residents who lease a parking space. I have made sure that top management and the development team at AppFolio are aware of this flaw in the functionality of this feature, so I'm hopeful there will be a resolution.

Thanks, Laura! It's great to hear that you are using so many aspects of your software and thank you for your feedback regarding our utility billing feature. We are constantly making updates based on customer feedback and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Sw

Sherrie w/ Professional M.

My Opinion of the Pros and Cons of Appfolio

For the most part I am very happy with Appfolio. We still are not using it to it's fullest potential. It seems that I have always had people that I train that are resistant to change. So I have to slowly change things that seem little changes at the time so that they don't realize it and are more willing participants.

Pros

I do accounts payable, plus deal with Owners and basically put out little fires that arise. Since using Appfolio I have reduced my work load or should I say the time that is necessary to do my job. By being able to do ACH's and emailing and texting. End of month statements was reduced down to a few hours from 2 days. The world we live in now does a lot of texting and emailing and that is always nice to be able to do when you are slammed. More than 50% of my Owners are retired or semi retired and are older so I find that it is important to have that conversation with them over the phone for that personal relationship that they like. I am friends with a lot of my Owners even though I have never laid eyes on them. So we need to balance things for good PR.

Cons

I don't have many, and I am at a loss right now to specifically point any particular problem. It is those times when you run into a situation that you rarely do and have problem figuring it out. The instructions are not real clear. As example off the top of my head. I have a problem right now with my Diagnostic under the Non-Zero Security Clearing Account Balances. I think that I have done it correctly after following the instructions and then I find my diagnostic with a problem that I will need help from Appfolio with. Right now I haven't had the time to contact Appfolio to help me due to my own personal issues, medical, vacation etc.

MB

Melissa B.

Appfolio Review

Pros

Appfolio gives us as a rental company the ability to easy sort, organize, and access information on our tenants, owners, and vendors. I love that Appfolio has helped us move to doing business online. It's so convenient for us to send out a lease and have it signed electronically and saves time for us and our tenants. They don't have to take off work to come to our office to do so. Online payments...

Cons

I wish that the texting line could receive pictures. This would make the application process easier; people could take pictures of documents they didn't include in the application and send it to us. While most people can take pictures and send them by email, I think it would help especially our older tenants and others who don't have email on their phones or don't have a smartphone or just aren't as technologically literate. People would also be able to send us pictures of their insurance docs and maintenance issues. It would also be nice to be able to search for guest cards (interested parties) in the main search bar. Currently I need to search on the guest cards page and the person doesn't show up if it's been over a year from their last inquiry.

Dear Melissa, thank you for your review. We have launched a new tenant application that allows tenants to submit their maintenance requests directly from their phone and upload photos from their camera roll. Thanks for your suggestion about texting photos, we'll be sure to pass this along to our product team!

JB

Jeff B.

Commercial Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Good product, improvements slow to take

While the community conversations for improvements to the software is great, it's tough to know that any software engineer is listening. It seems like it would be very easy for move-outs to automatically prorate rent (where is it legal to collect full rent for a mid-month move-out?!?!?!) IF I could just talk to an engineer. It seems like it would be very easy to ask for an actual button for prorated rent rather than something that is a link everywhere on the internet. These simple things should not get lost in the community.

Pros

This is a great product for property managers and tenants. The leases are easy to issue and easy to sign. The tenants have a great portal. Customer service is mostly great- sometimes I want a quicker response, but the reps are great. It is easy to find information and easy to adjust information.

Cons

It is too easy to adjust information in some places and there are confusing breaks in logic for inputs from one section to the next. For example, the recurring charges section of the move-in process is identical to the monthly charges section of the tenant page, except that there is no option to have an end date. Move-in charges from the move-in process do not show up on the itemized rent roll. When...

Dear Jeff, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate the feedback and we have made sure that it has reached our product development team. You do have the ability to prorate the last month's rent for residents and we'll follow up with instructions for this task. We read through every piece of feedback posted to our product boards and we take the feedback seriously. Thanks for being our partner.

DM

Dean M.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Top 5 Things Tenants Don't Want You to Know About Using Appfolio and Why It Costs You.

I wouldn't manage property without it.

Pros

1. When Money is collected electronically you never have to think about who's paid and who hasn't. - Even with a handful of units, it's time consuming to collect checks and deposit them on a regular basis. This causes sloppy book keeping and helps tenants get away with not paying timely. 2. When a computer keeps track of payments late fees are always charged. - late fees get charged automatically....

Cons

Appfolio is not something you plug into your current systems. To do it correctly and efficiently you'll need to rework your processes around it. This can be good or bad. Depending on if you like creating systems. When you're done, you'll have an employee that never sleeps and takes care of a ton of your management tasks.

Hi Dean, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. It's great to hear that AppFolio is integral to running your property management business. We appreciate your partnership!

Tara D.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Sad to be looking elsewhere.

Initially, I was thrilled with Appfolio. They had live support, and same day follow up calls when submitting tickets. Suggestions on the user forum were implemented, or at the very least, were updated by Appfolio so we knew they were aware and cared. None of that anymore, but we are regularly being innundated with value added junk that we can pay for if we want it or obscure improvements that seem...

Pros

Extremely easy to navigate/train employees to use, tenant rent payment/owner contributions are free with ACH, application-move in flow is smooth, mobile app works well, available property postings look great on my website.

Cons

Suppressed fees amount to commingling, and that is so bad. It could easily be resolved and the idea has lots of votes in the forum yet it remains unaddressed. Not to mention, suppressed application fees can be passed on to an owner before you need to refund the fee depending on the timing and that leads to a nightmare of accounting, and having to explain to an owner why you are unprofessionally having...

Hello Tara, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We understand your frustration and we are glad that you were able to talk through these items with one of the managers on our Customer Success Team. Based on your business practices, not consistently paying our your suppressed fees seems to have caused an issue with your owner's statements. We hope, after speaking with a manager, you will be able to establish a good cadence of paying these in order to avoid error in the future. We take our client feedback seriously and take all of it into consideration when building and improving new features. We hope you will stick with us and continue to provide this vital feedback.

BC

Braden C.

Value

The software has always worked for us and we have seen constant updates from appfolio to better compare to the competitors software but at this time we are really evaluating a software change due to the lack of functionality explained above.

Pros

The ease of use is amazing and makes it very easy to train. Very visually appealing. Help[ center is a great benefit. Love the online payments platform.

Cons

Not a robust enough accounting platform. I don't think the CAM rec feature is robust enough to handle most retail CAM, Tax, Insurance reconciliations at the end of the year. Most tenants pay different versions of CAM, admin fees, CAM caps, etc... It is very rare that tenants all pay the same NNN at a property. The delinquency report is way too simple for our company processes. The delinquency report...

Hi Braden, we appreciate your review. It's great to hear that you are finding training to be easy with the software. We have built out a comprehensive help center with articles, videos, live trainings, and soon we will be adding live chat to better serve you! You'll be happy to hear that we have added new CAM reconciliation enhancements that will hopefully ease some of these points. Check out the What's New section of your database to explore these recent updates. In addition, I have provided your feedback to our Product Team who works on this initiative to help inform how we will build this out in the future! Thank you!

TB

Todd B.

Wall Street Greed and Arrogance Abound at Appfolio

Run don't walk from this software. Read the reviews on other sites to get 'the rest of the story'!

Pros

The UI is simple and easy for new staff members to learn. The features are 'simple' and provide entry level functionality to get tasks done.

Cons

Since signing up with Appfolio in 2010, they've lost their consumer focus - and replaced it with what can best be described as 'Wall Street Arrogance': - selling 'value add' services to our clients without our prior consent - adding a maintenance call center that is a joke and an embarrassment - their suppressed fees feature is a nightmare to use, requiring hours of extra labor to ensure it works -...

Hi Todd, thank you for providing this feedback. We are sorry for your poor experience with AppFolio. We work to provide an all in one solution to meet needs across your business and we created an online leasing flow that allows for the automation of your move-in processes and the ability to e-sign a lease. We also launched the ability to survey your tenants directly from AppFolio and we welcome your...

DS

David S.

You're getting too big

Pros

The product itself is great and very intuitive. The mobile app is very helpful for the entire staff.

Cons

Support is really lacking. I would like to just call and get support, rather than submitting a request and waiting for an answer. I've submitted a request once and was told that what I was requesting was not supported and that I should make a suggestion. I feel that I'm already communicating with Appfolio, why do I have to re-communicate to Appfolio? The support person should have said that the...

Hi David, we appreciate you taking the time to provide this review. The nature of our software and support often requires us to look into complex accounting issues that our Customer Success Team researches in order to provide an informed response to meet your unique business needs. Thank you also for providing feedback directly to our Product Team for enhancements you would like to see. The reason...

CW

Christine W.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Took a bit to get the hang of it, but would NEVER go back!

Pros

1. It has what I want from a property software,and if they don't have it, they will if you ask! 2. The customer service is spot on, they really love their customers and it shows! 3. Notes for EVERYTHING with PICS! No more tenants claiming they don't know what you're talking about or not knowing what they are trying to tell you is wrong with their units! 4. It makes it easy to keep track of all...

Cons

1. The accounting took awhile to get used to and can be a little clunky and confusing at times (and I have an accounting degree). 2. Customer service can take up to 24 hours to get back to you, while that is still a good response time, when you have accounting questions, it can seem like forever. 3. Having the option for so much data can make it hard to remember WHERE your data for a particular item got placed. Was it the unit page? Owner page? Tenant notes? Vendor notes? Maintenance notes? Who knows! It would be great to see a system that links together notes a little better with catch words or a notes search option by date etc to make finding the large volumes of data we collect a little easier. But it is STILL a far better system than anything we have used before.

Dear Christine, thanks for sharing your review! We appreciate your thoughtful feedback and are happy to see that appfolio has been a significant improvement from your last solution. We look forward to always improving our software for your use!

LT

Lisa T.

Appfolio is AWESOME!

The customer conferences are so beneficial and give the opportunity for new customers to talk with your staff directly and other Appfolio users. I believe this was key when we first converted and were going through the growing pains ourselves. Now that we have used this product for several years- I like to attend the conference, not only to connect with your team in the genius bar and in the classes--but to help the newbies by sharing our experiences with them and tell them about our processes. I just think overall the conference helps everyone get reconnected and I find it very beneficial.

Pros

The appfolio team listens to their end users and encourages input/feedback, so that they can make changes/upgrades on a continual basis. This, in my opinion, is one the biggest things that puts Appfolio WAY ahead of its competition. The program is stupid-easy to use. (seriously, training on this system is a breeeze--it is truly "user friendly") Texting and email ability allowed me to cancel another paid service I used to use--and these features are SUCH a time saver, plus our residents LOVE it! PLUS the system keeps the documentation- I don't have to spend time adding it in as a note! Win-win! Online payments free up SO much of my time now. (Residents love the convenience as well) The majority of my property pay online!!

Cons

I can't think of one thing! I just really like Appfolio and I believe that the company has their fingers on the pulse of what we need. THANK YOU!

Dear Lisa, thank you for your kind words! Our team loves seeing and working with you at our annual conference - we all truly enjoy meeting our customers face to face each year. We look forward to continually improving your experience with AppFolio and giving you the tools you need for your business. We hope to see you again at this year's conference!

GT

George T.

Property Manager Review

In my opinion, the folks at Appfolio are great people and try very hard to get it right but don't pay much attention to the details and everyone knows that the devil is in the details. Even though I can't use all the features of Appfolio, I must still pay for it as if I were using it. Perhaps if there were to survey their data and get an idea of what is used heavily and what is not, they could become more focused and improve what they have already released. Of course, that is just my opinion and you should formulate your own opinion of what works for you and what doesn't.

Pros

This product is always available if your internet is available. It does a good job for the cost of the software.

Cons

The limitations the software has made it the software to use until something else comes along. Appfolio could do much more if the developer was focused on what professional property managers need and not what the developers perceive they need. Features are not released fully functional to the point that rather than having one software solution for all tasks I need several software programs to get...

Dear George, thanks for sharing all of your feedback with us, we appreciate hearing from our customers! We do a great deal of research and discuss new features with customers at length before we build new features - the customer feedback is at the heart of our product. We will definitely take your feedback back to our teams and hope to improve your experience in the future!

DW

David W.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Outstanding software, but customer service could be better

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the software platform and I have not regretted switching to AppFolio from our previous property management software platform. Making the switch to AppFolio was a very beneficial business decision, from a number of perspectives.

Pros

AppFolio is very intuitive and the learning curve for basic functionality and navigation within the software is relatively short. The "help" section is generally very informative. From a property management, unit-based accounting perspective, the software is very robust and offers tremendous bang for the buck. Using the software platform streamlines work flow and provides increased efficiency within...

Cons

The Tenant Move Out & Security Deposit Disbursement process is one of few features that I don't care for. Processing security deposit claims where a portion of the SD is forfeited to the owner, a portion of the SD is forfeited to the management company and a portion of the SD is refunded to the Tenant is not a smooth or intuitive process. Security deposit funds cannot be retained within the escrow...

Dear David, thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We are happy that AppFolio has been a beneficial change for your business! We have made significant changes to the move-out process and next up we'll enhance the move-out accounting flow. When our product team begins researching the needs for the move-out/security deposit accounting flows we will have a Product Manager reach out to you directly to learn about your use of this feature!

Mp

Matt p.

AppFolio Review

AppFolio is a wonderful software overall. We just need the ability to create custom workflows, procedures, activities, inspections.

Pros

Online rent pay, online Leasing, integrated accounting, integrated website, the ability to broadcast to multiple third party websites during Leasing, automatic applicant and tenant notifications when scheduling a showing.

Cons

Need customizable project management checklists. We systematize everything. We create workflows and procedures for everything so we do things the same way every time. A perfect example for this would be during move in / move out. There are 20 steps that must be completed every time a tenant moves in and moves out. We have these steps written down in Excel. But Excel checklist is not a shared list so...

Dear Matt, thanks for sharing so much detailed feedback with us! We love hearing from our customers and will definitely share your thoughts with our teams. We hope that as you spend more time with AppFolio you will be able to realize the full value of our program for your business and find new success!

SD

Steve D.

Very frustating software

As a property manager for some 40 years, we were looking for a complete management program and were led to believe this was it, Many functions are good, many things you are led to believe during the selling process are not true. Very apparent these people are software designers and have no real knowledge of the needs of property managers to have a complete online management system.No effort to add needed enhancements to achieve your needs in management. Management brokers are not accountants and most reports are not useful to broker or owners. By no means is this a complete management software for management brokers. Program feel is that it is more designed to assist management of properties owned by the subscriber and not so much for property managers.

Pros

The website for rentals is nice, online lease processing good, Very good attention until start up date and then support is available at their leisure. Easy bank reconciliation

Cons

No ability to share inspection reports with the tenant, no ability to produce management contracts and have signed online and given to owners, all management contracts have to be produced on paper or you need other software. No simplified year-end summary report to send owners in preparation for tax time, the way you have to settle deposits by transferring money around may cause an issue with your...

Dear Steve, thank you for providing us with constructive feedback - we appreciate that you have shared your experience with us! We do not currently advertise to be a solution for management brokers, we are sorry if your expectations for this were not met. We do recommend that users have accounting knowledge to best operate the system. We have recently enhanced our 1099 feature to include tracking owner...

DN

David N.

Commercial Real Estate,

Fair but far from perfect.

Pros

Cloud based. I seriously didn't like the concept of having someone else be in charge of our confidential information but being able to get information over various devises from anywhere is a huge convenience. The cost savings of not having to host the software has been huge. The software is easy to use for the most part but the accounting reports are the software's Achilles heal.

Cons

There are allot of things but for the most part it can be summed up to reports and accounting. For a software that is advertised to make life easier and streamline the process, it falls short. Reports. Very poor reports and the kicker is that they don't have a Profit and Loss Statement. WHO DOESN'T HAVE A P&L AS A STANDARD REPORT???? I also don't like the fact that you can't customize the...

Hi David, thank you for sharing your experience, the customer voice is important to us! We will take an in-depth look at your reporting and accounting concerns - the new Help Center is a great resource to learn more about AppFolio in a step-by-step manner, and our customer success team works hard to ensure your success!

WJ

Wes J.

This reviewer only left a rating

This program is seriously lacking compared to some of its competition. Our company had to switch from another system after the California DRE decided to crack down on anybody they found out was using it due to the way in which that system handled e-payments (e-payments passed through a clearing account before settling in the destination account). I am extremely computer literate and have no difficulties...

Cons

Wes, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We know switching software can be arduous, and, since all available solutions differ greatly, there is a learning curve associated with the shift in paradigm. For example, you are right in saying that AppFolio is property-based and report-centered, which is probably much different than what you were used to using. The goal of our reports is...

JH

Jason H.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Best investment our firm has ever made

Incredible software, customer service and company. The gold standard.

Pros

Ease of use and efficiency. Appfolio has automated and connected what were once manual processes into a sophisticated and professional cloud based solution that represents our company with Tenants, Property Owners and Employees exceptionally well. The intuitiveness is remarkable and our time savings are significant. Amazing product, service and company.

Cons

Portfolio analysis. Maturing company and service but enhancements come fast.

HH

Holly H.

Appfolio Review

I have enjoyed it

Pros

It has a lot of good features for tenants and us.

Cons

The good features are not always thought out. Appfolio caters to apartments etc and does not always think about single family property management which I do a lot of. The owner payments and statements are not the best and estimates are not good and the turn board is horrible. A lot of features that just need to be worked on. If you have commercial property for lease I haven't a clue why it is more...

NF

Nori F.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Appfolio is a great basic software program for small to medium sized Property Management companies.

We have been a client of Appfolio since their onset and helped them with Beta testing when they rolled out their product over 8 years ago. It was a great alternative to Yardi Enterprise which we were using at the time. There are many features which help make our processes functional and smooth and it is a nice looking program.

Pros

The integration of the program with our website helps cut down on many steps and the marketing and accounting features are well laid out and easy to use.

Cons

The maintenance section is very basic and does not have nearly enough flexibility for our growing maintenance division. We did not really outgrow this segment of the program until 2 or 3 years ago. Now we have signed up with another software company to manage the maintenance side of our business. This is also not a great program for companies who have a combination of services, it's mainly geared toward fee managed residential property managers. Besides residential property management, we handle construction and remodeling, commercial property management, real estate sales, and self-storage management. Most of these other services are handled through software programs besides Appfolio.

Dear Nori, thank you for your review and for providing us with detailed feedback! We appreciate your partnership with us since the beginning, we hope to continually support and keep loyal customers like you happy! We are currently working on many updates for the maintenance features, one of our Product Specialists will be reaching out to you directly to discuss how these new updates will support you, as well as gather more information on what other features you are in need of for a seamless maintenance experience. We look forward to continuing our partnership with you for many years to come!

KP

Krista P.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Good Product- would like to see some added features

This is my second time working transferring data from one system to Appfolio. 2 different companies. I really liked having a team I wish that team would continue. I've been a promoter of Appfolio for the most part I do think it's user friendly. Which is key.

Pros

I love the universal search bar. The overall look is good. Customer support is quick.

Cons

I would like it if when we send bulk mailings/emails that our name isn't shown so that it is more generalized. Owners would like more flexibility with log in options. For instance we had an owner who didn't want to get texted a code and would prefer to be emailed. We were told if they have a number we can't offer that. The majority of our owners complain about the 2 verification methods necessary to...

TH

Tucker H.

Nickel and Dime

Pros

See Cons.... the cons outway the pros at this point with such a large increase in price.

Cons

Changing the free eCheck to a cost for the tenant or the property management company is truly ridiculous. First, all of our leases say the echeck is free, so you have sort of backed us into a corner with us paying for the service. Also, with POA's also included in this unit count, I will have to pay $500 a month, for a service that is only used ONCE a year. That is $6,000 a year, so 500 units can pay ONCE on online. This is just crazy!! This is going to reduce the compliance for online payments and bring more checks, money orders, and cash in the office if we don't provide the service. Truly ridiculous. This is going to be about a 45% increase in my cost to use AF.. with a 30 days notice. truly bad business. looking for new software.

JW

Jesser W.

Great Platform

Overall this is a phenomenal platform with top tier customer service. The training and customer service staff trained our employees for us, and now even almost 12 months out, we still have weekly meetings with them to help us develop our work flows, and learn the new and updated functionality of the software.

Pros

The ability to have everything in one place. We switched to this software from another we had been using, and this has allowed us to not only gather better and more accurate data, but also has alleviated our need to make our own reports in excel as all of the company's key indicators can be measured all in the same system.

Cons

There are occiasionally things that pop up, that seem very remedial and common sense that don't happen. For instance, the entire platform allows you to sort your reports and data by dates. But if you want to see the delinquency notes on a tenant, you have to either look at all of them on the report or none of them. Or the ability once a move-out is complete to click "Undo" Move-out and correct a mistake, but once a move-in is completed, there is no undo button.