Buildium Logo

2,055 reviews

TF

Tim F.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great product for property management

Buildium has been great for property management. Online applications/background checks, epay, and the resident portal have proven to be daily uses in our business. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

Pros

epay. It's worth it for that. To be able to get paid online seemlessly is great. Communication being automated around payment is wonderful, too -- specifically, the lease ledger, automating late fees, and payment reminders.

Cons

We list properties for rent that do not have bed/baths on them - specifically, RV pad sites and commercial lots. Buildium does not allow us to list properties without the bed/bath requirement. This becomes confusing to prospective tenants when these listings are on our website and published elsewhere.

WA

William A.

Overall a Quality Property Management Software Platform

Overall Buildium is a really good platform to use especially if you want things to be automatically done or updated. I like that customize dashboard that lets you know when leases are expiring and need to be renewed. They also allow you to auto list properties for rent. This is extremely helpful for us. One down side of this platform is the inability to send debts to collection like other platforms have. Overall, I would recommend Buildium as long as they were made aware of the extra charges and services they continue to try and promote to tenants.

Pros

The thing I like the post is that it automatically applies late fees to accounts. It also auto notifies tenants once they make a payment on their account. I like that you can email every tenant using one email instead of trying to email them individually. The site is very user friendly with a customizable dashboard to help you get a quick snap shot of your rentals.

Cons

I don't like some of the auto emails that get sent to tenants to help sell some of the products Buildium is promoting. For instance, they want all tenants to have insurance and will continually email them to get them to purchase insurance that Buildium gets a cut of. They also are encouraging tenants to set up ACH payments, which if you don't have the top account level, charges the owner to use the service. I feel like Buildium continues to try and do add ons from both the tenants and the owners which is frustrating considering the amount of money we pay for the software.

DC

Dustin C.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Will never use another program

Buildium had always been the go to for me. It's user friendly for staff and extremely user friendly for my residents and older residents that aren't as technologically inclined. Anyone can use it. And when my older residents are confused they can call the hotline and get customer services from the team rather than calling is office during off hpurs.

Pros

The ease of importing all of our data and getting everything set up specifically for our hoa property. Everything we needed and none of the rental stuff we didn't. The team assisting us in seeing up the system has been incredible.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike. I would love to have the ability to shower multiple chargers on statements for dues and assessment and have those both track. But the team has shown me a way we can do that until the update team has created that ability.

KD

Kimberly D.

Definitely Worth a Try

Overall, I think Buildium is a good company and I think they are struggling with the fast growth process, as many companies do. The cost of their program is less than Appfolio and the folks that work for them are better at helping out with issues. I found Appfolio's phone support to be mostly snarky know-it-alls and patronizing 20-somethings with an attitude who seemed to be bothered by my questions . Buildium support has never come across that way.

Pros

The set up process and assistance in doing it was quite seamless. The ongoing support is there if you need it and the tutorials, although not great or always up to date, do help you figure things out without having to call in.

Cons

The close-out of a tenant can be awkward and not intuitive. The return of security deposits with interest and charging of fees is clunky. Also, when a lease runs out, the system doesn't roll them over to month-to-month. It simply just closes out the lease on line and makes it look like the tenant doesn't live there anymore or owe any rent. This is both frustrating and stressful because if a tenant owes money and decides not to declare that, they could potentially get away without paying rent. There needs to be a change in the rollover of the leases in the system so we don't miss collecting rent.

DF

Darren F.

Real Estate, self-employed

Pro's and Con's 22 month customer

It is not a five star product because of the support they "don't give. The support staff are educators not problem solvers. The software is cheaper than the competitors and it works well. I would buy it again, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't fix the problems.

Pros

When you call support you do not have to wait on hold, they will call you back. Reporting is very nice. The system actually works. Price is fair.

Cons

Release communication: When the release breaks something and the accounts get messed up (like they did a upgrade for lease renewals that had a bug where the leases did not renew with the correct rent amount), the communication is horrible and they fix the problem going forward but not the messed up accounts. Phone support is lacking. When the error cannot be resolved immediately (by telling me what...

Hi Darren, Thanks for your honest feedback about release communication. Our team is working hard to improve on communication for all our releases, including monthly product emails and in-app messaging. I've passed your feedback on support follow-up to the manager of that team. This is not the experience we want our customers to have, and we thank you for letting us know about what you've encountered. Best, The Buildium Team

KS

Katie S.

Property Management Software - works very well for non accounting backgrounds

Automation is HUGE! online payment is HUGE! It's connecting my tenant/client requests with my staff and subsequently my vendors - less mess to sort through!

Pros

I don't have to have a degree in accounting, between features, FAQ's and support, I've always been able to resolve issues. Love that it streamlines my processes into one central place and that I have a good overall place for myself, my assistant, my clients and tenants to look at things. Love online payments and ability to pay out to owners and vendors online as well! Software has fantastic capability to shift easily with the changing needs of business (growth or even if we were to pull back a bit - affordable and seamless transition!)

Cons

The vendor/owner portals are difficult and messy. Also, my vendors can see ALL work orders, not just their own for a property they have access to. They have to go under maintenance just to find work orders (not intuitive). Would be awesome if they could just reply to the emails the system sends and have those replies/files be uploaded as communication on the work order. Loading pictures is ok but...

NH

Nancy H.

Gets the Job Done; Would like more Features

Software functions well and is reliable, Customers and Clients tell us they DO NOT like the portal and don't understand reports. I have volunteered to be in a user group to develop reports but have not been contacted yet.

Pros

The software is easy to use and fairly flexible; we do use it in some ways that are not intended to address unique situations. I also like that there is a forum for user requested features where the community can "vote" on improvements.

Cons

Development of new features that are highly requested by the community could be responded to faster. There are also some requests that seem more like fixing a bug than a new feature that are ignored completely. These are things that affect our staff on a daily basis, e.g. emails that are automatically sent to customers and clients that have a link to the message thread in the portal where they can...

RB

Ryan B.

Opt for Monthly over Yearly at discounted rate

Benefits realized would be never opting to save 10% for a yearly contract when a company fails to stand behind their product. As a property manager my success mainly relies on tenants being happy with their situation I'm always perplexed when I deal with vendors that don't share that same idea.

Pros

The added features and collaborations with other products such as Happy Co. Inspector and other features were a huge selling point.

Cons

On-boarding process was horrible, were given two options but the options we choose meant we never truly implemented the software, constantly we were pushed back month after month without being operational except for two properties. Balance and accounting sheet were never resolved. Repeatedly postponed and after months of not having the software work as suggested it would asked to be reimbursed for...

JD

Jenna D.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great for a startup or simple management company

Again this is really simple and great for the amount of money but Id love to see more improvements more often. I enjoy using the program and do find it be most of what I need.

Pros

Love how simple this is to use! I personally didnt have a big bookkeeping/accounting background so setting up, implementing and using this was much easier than other software that is for more of an advanced user. Tenant messaging is great! Love the use of resident website.

Cons

Wish I could do more with the tenant emails, notices. I have to use a third party to get really cool looking emails/notices. You cant even really put in a image which would be helpful. Reports are customizable enough. As we are all different I would love to have more options for the reports not just on what info they show, or filter out but the actual width of columns, etc. I dont like to export to spreadsheet then edit. More ability to communicate with all parties on a work order, right now you can only update by checking tenant or owner. Would love to be able to send messages to vendors separate from tenants/owners. Also hate having to make a task then work order, it should really be just a work order. Then you can create a task for other things.

Hi Jenna, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We've noted your feedback on emails, reports, and work order communications, and will be passing them along to the appropriate product teams. Thanks again for the review! Best, The Buildium Team

DP

Diane P.

Buildium Builds Confidence in Our Owners and Tenants

I have come to rely on Buildium always being there when I need to enter information into the system or to generate a report or look up a transaction. I can't remember ever having a time when the system was down or not available. Not having to worry about this gives me peace of mind, and in a sometimes hectic environment, this is important. Buildium is dependable.

Pros

I use Buildium daily and rely on it to enter information that will be used to generate monthly and annual reports. The finished product is easy to read and looks very professional. Our owners know they are in good hands when they can easily see where there money is spent and feel confident that we are protecting their investment. For our tenants, they really like being able to pay their rent on line, saving them time and money. If I have an issue that needs to be resolved, I know I can count on Buildium's customer service department to answer my questions quickly and accurately.

Cons

I understand how this software works now because I have been using it for the past several years, however, there was a little bit of a learning curve. Because I know the limitations of Buildium and how to get around them, there is less and less that I don't like about the software.

Diane, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We know what a tough job property management can be, and we're so happy that we can help bring you peace-of-mind! We appreciate you as a loyal customer! Best, The Buildium Team

EK

Eyal K.

The Buildium Experiance

Overall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).

Pros

Buildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.

Cons

Missing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

Hi Eyal, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system. Best, The Buildium Team

KH

Karen H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Best investment of our HOA

Bookkeeping and reports are easy to enter and pull. Reconciliations are flawless. When I figured out that we could save documents/invoices by entering all outgoing payments as bills first, it was GREAT! The approval process is really good for checks and balances in our management of the community. One of the issues that I believe will be solved in the next 10 years is that some of our most elderly...

Pros

Buildium has been great for our resident managed HOA. We did a thorough vetting job in choosing our management software, and it has lived up to what we hoped for. The books are right there, and we can allow anyone to see all that is going on at any time. Board members and volunteers have different levels of access, and that has made it easy for reporting. Resident portals are great, and the communication is easy.

Cons

Size of documents/invoices you can is smaller than needed, so I often have to split documents into parts which is annoying. The email took doesn't allow cut and paste of a pdf into the body of text. I always have to send our newsletter as an attachment. Sometimes q & a does not answer my questions for simple things -- such as, I misspelled the name of a new owner, and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to correct, because there was no answer provided in q & a. My biggest "complaint" would be that this is rental focused in some regard, and we have no tenants. We only have owners, and residents sometimes tell us they are confused by the things that say "tenants" or refer to rentals.

bF

betsy F.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

With just a few tweaks.. this would be an amazing piece of software.

Good - pretty responsive to every annoying call I make and I tend to be somewhat tenacious. thanks!

Pros

Tenant tracking, tenant ledger, and reporting of tenant payments. The tenant log on ease and the on line payment process. So for managing tenants - awesome! The features for managing the vendors for repairs - awesome! Love the bulk charges feature.. well designed and functional!

Cons

Some of the interface features.. like when entering a charge.. I always have to scroll to save it... little annoyance.. but why? .. Tighten the window. Allow tabbing and the enter key to move through the screen. I don't want to touch my mouse! The big frustration is that I can't write a tenant security deposit refund check to multiple tenants - it is by law that all tenants be on the refund check...

PG

Paul G.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Buildium features review

Buildium allows our rental department to stay organized and provides easy and efficient access to data information. I could not imagine doing my daily tasks without Buildium.

Pros

The general format of the total program is good and maybe better than other programs used in the past. I really like the latest update of the status button for work orders

Cons

I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a feature where multiple windows with in Buildium can be open at the same time. (if it exists, forgive me for not knowing how to use it) I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a back button feature, especially in the tasks and work order screens. I do not like that Buildium will allow a partial online payment to be received. It should not receive a tenant...

Hi Paul, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback on directly to our product team. We are currently working on updates to maintenance and work orders, stay tuned! Best, The Buildium Team

GV

Gary V.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

My Perspective of Buildium's Property Management Software, as a Real Estate Broker/Property Manager

Buildium was great with helping me with all of my questions that I had regarding their email and text message features. I finally decided to take some time to take a closer look at the features they offered and when I did, I realized how much time I wasted by not using these features earlier. No more copying and pasting emails/photos and text messages to and from tenants and owners (not fun to do).

Pros

I've been a customer of Buildium since 2010. I really like the fact on how Buildium saves me many hours throughout my workweek and helps me cover my tracks at the same time. This is helpful especially during the busy part of my day. One of the many great features that I like in Buildium's is the seamless integration they implemented into their software using a top rated property inspection software....

Cons

There's really not much that I could say about what I like "least" about Buildium. I say this because, they constantly make improvements and implement new features on a regular basis. There really is very little opportunity to say, "... I wish there was a better way to do this task..." They also ask for feedback on occasion and I like that too. I found that if there's a popular request made to Buildium they act on it and they implement those new features. All of their users can request and track new requests through their forum. A very transparent company who is serious about making my day easier, Buildium!

MD

Monique D.

The Cadillac of HOA/Condo/Property Management

I have searched far and wide and Buildium is the best available for HOA/property management. I use it for all my monthly paying accounts, and find that the professional statements which are easily generated make managing the finances uncomplicated. Overall, Buildium is super customer friendly and has always met my expectations in the five years that I have been with them.

Pros

This software is mandatory if you have monthly payments for properties. It accepts EFT/Debit/Credit Cards and has a very user friendly approach to keeping financial records on individual homeowners in perfect shape. They also allow easy access for homeowners to both their own account and payments, and to governing documents, minutes, etc at any time. Imputing the payments and checks etc is easy...

Cons

The non-bending method of making payments - where they require the vendor to log in and invoice directly vs just allowing me to make quick payments to say the lawn guy or other vendors who wouldn't know a computer if it smacked them in the face. I do not use this portion of the software. I have also asked them repeatedly to sell a 'lite' version of the subscription. One where they charge less for seasonal payments. I have several HOAs that only pay once a year, and can't use Buildium because it is cost prohibitive to have an account open for 12 months that only has one payment per year. They need to have a Florida/AZ/Seasonal version at a lower rate that has limited payments.

Hi Monique, Thank you so much for your review! We're so thrilled we've been able to help meet a lot of your management needs over the past 5 years. We've made a note of your feedback regarding vendor payments and Buildium "Lite", and will pass it along to our product team! Best, The Buildium Team

PJ

Pamela J.

Real Estate, self-employed

We have been using Buildium for just over two years now and I could not love it more!

I had been using a DOS based management program for nearly 20 years and had to go online due to the changes in technology. It was a very stressful time trying to find a program that could do what we needed and was affordable and that I could manage on my own. Buildium has been the answer. We LOVE the online payment option for our tenants and landlord. We LOVE all the reports and the way the accounting process is set up. Most of all, we LOVE the excellent customer support we recieve from the Buildium team. The whole experience has been outstanding.

Pros

The customer service is OUTSTANDING! There is no way to be able to solve all the problems of transitioning to a new program on your own; I tried that with another program, using the excellent documentation they had provided but was never able to overcome some of the posting problems I encountered. I ended up frustrated and stressed out from being unable to understand how the program wanted me to do...

Cons

The ONLY thing I can think of that I don't like about this program is that one of the report sorts I use is done by the owner first name, instead of last name and the security depsoit breakdown report is done by Owner name, instead of the Tenant Name. Other than that, I can not think of a single thing to complain about. It is a great company!

Hi Pamela, Thank you for leaving your review. Your opinion is invaluable to us and we're so pleased to hear about your positive experience with Buildium! Best, Elizabeth Gill Senior Customer Marketing Manager

KH

Kelvin H.

Real Estate,

Pretty good software for our small property company

Pros

The software is easy to use across multiple platforms; I can use it from my smartphone, tablet, or from a PC with an internet connection. It has lots of useful features. As a six-property small company, we only use a few of the features so far. We started using it for the accounting. But there is more; I especially like the applicant tracking feature which we used for the first time in the past...

Cons

There is a learning curve to figuring out how to effectively use the software. Also, there are some things it won't do without a workaround from an accounting standpoint. We have mortgages on some property which takes a workaround to account for properly. Also, the payment method assumes you cut a check or use their EFT system. In reality, we usually use a credit card and pay off that bill. But we have to account for it by pretending that we cut a check. Not a dealbreaker, but it takes some work sometimes to figure out the workaround for a given situation. The Help function is useful, and I am sure contacting the company would work too (although we have not needed to contact them for questions so far).

TL

Tom L.

This reviewer only left a rating

We've been using Buildium for about 2 years, long enough to get a good feel for its strengths and weaknesses. My overall impression is that this is a good product for small to medium size residential property management firms (10-100 units). If you have fewer than 10, this product is overkill. If more than 100, you'll probably find it too simplistic. The product is geared to residential properties...

JL

Jim L.

This reviewer only left a rating

I switched to Buildium from QuickBooks in July 2011 and will switch off on January 1, 2012. We manage about 100 single family properties that are owned by about 30 investors. Yes Buildium is easy. Yes it is simple but if you are in the business of managing properties for multiple owners it just doesn't do the job. First, there is no way to invoice an owner for repairs. Buildium says you should...

Cons

I have a few minor quibbles with Jim’s review, but he’s mostly right. While you can invoice an owner for repairs, it’s not as easy as it should be. Jim’s also right about our reports; we provide most of the reports people expect, but you can’t customize them and trying to manipulate them in Excel is a pain. That’s something we plan to tackle in a future release. It’s also way too hard to find what you’re looking for in the current release, but that’s changing with the new global search feature due out in the next few weeks. You still won’t be able to search for a missing check, but that’s on our roadmap too.

DM

David M.

Do Not Buy Buildium

Yuck!

Pros

I like that it is web-based. The online Help search feature is average. It returns too many suggestions. However, when you find the relevant item, the instructions are well written.

Cons

1) Net Income does NOT flow correctly to the Balance Sheet. While this is IMPOSSIBLE in every accounting package I have used, Buildium somehow does this. (For perspective, I have been doing accounting 37 years.) Telephone tech support was unable to resolve the issue. 2) Adjusting journal entries cannot be made at the tenant level, only at the property level. Thus, many steps are required for...

CV

Cynthia V.

The Best Property Management Platform

Overall, Buildium is not just a property management platform; it's a complete solution that has simplified my work. If you're in the property management field and want a platform that is easy to set up, maintain, and offers robust features for accounting, leasing, and expenses, look no further than Buildium. It has truly become an invaluable asset to my business.

Pros

Easy to set up, helps to keep track of finances, properties, owners, tenants, basically I can do all in one program no need to use any other.

Cons

I can't schedule EFT payment for my customers. I can't add more charges when using Applicants other than application fee I can't modify statements

We're happy to be your complete property management solution, Cynthia. Here's to many years of growth and success together.

WW

Weston W.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Buildium is Awesome.... The mobile app is TRASH!!

My overall experience with Buildium has been great. Great features, and makes my life way easier. If they mobile app gets a major update I will love it even more.

Pros

I love many features about this program. I am an owner/operator of my properties, so I do not manage other units just my own. I love that I can collect money online and no longer have to go door to door to collect. I love that people can pay advance rent when they want and Buildium will track it for me. I love the mass amount of reports that I can run and look at. I love the accounting and Banking. It's very nice to keep track of all the incoming and out going money and make it match 100% to my bank account. It's also extremely nice to pay some of my vendors through ACH straight from Buildium. I also love the eSign for a lease. I love the paperless.

Cons

The worst part of Buildium is the mobile app. It's complete trash. The world is very fast paced and everything can be done on a smart phone. I'm also tired of being told that I can open Safari on my iPhone and do the same thing. Well F that. I want to use an app that is formatted correctly so I don't have to zoom in and out to click stuff. I would love to be able to scan an Invoice/receipt of a bill and add it as a document from my iPhone. I want to be able to view a full rental application from my phone. I want to be able to do everything on the mobile app as I can on the desktop. I also want to be able to send multiple eSign documents and not just one per unit.

Hi Weston, Thanks for your honest review. I'm glad you're loving the ePay functionality. I'm sorry that the mobile app isn't quite what you're looking for. I recommend submitting your feedback through UserVoice, which you can access by selecting "Suggest a feature" in your Help & Support menu. - Charlie W

GM

Gregorio M.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Buildium is a "must have" for all property management companies

Honestly, it has helped our business out tremendously. The way it tracks financials for all associations and clients are able to pay online and also the apartment residents. Really glad this program allows the accounting part of any business along with the management of all properties in one program. It took the place of our "quickbooks" very easily. i love it

Pros

I was a little "iffy" at first with this program and didn't think it was worth the cost, but boy was I wrong. Great program and very easy to use, even for the "not so computer savy' people. I am glad I gave the program a try. Invaluable to property management.

Cons

The only thing I can say the program could improve is to be able to re-email a payment receipt. If for example and error was made posting the payment and edited the payment. Would like to be able to re-email payment receipts if edited.

Hi Gregorio, Thanks for your review and your suggestion. You can let our dev team know about your suggestion by going to the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account and selecting the "Suggest a feature" option. - Charlie W

SR

Sumer R.

Overall great

My overall experience with Buildium has been good. It has taken longer for customer support inquiries over the years of use.

Pros

I like that it is online based. Tenants can view their ledger and documents via their portal. Owners also have an online portal they can view their statements and documents.

Cons

Some of the accounting features can be a bit confusing for the user and owners. Like the tenant prepayments, the calculation of management fees, and the owner contributions distribution among a single owner who owns multiple properties (if there is an outstanding balance)

Thanks for your honest review, Sumer. If you haven't already, try checking out Buildium Academy to see if that can help clarify some questions you have about those accounting functions. You can also reach out to customer care and they can shed some light on things. - Charlie