Rentec Direct Reviews

Sam Doerhoff

Full Service rental software A++++

Reviewed 2016-09-11
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
I love how easy the product is to use and the support you get when you have a question. The software has helped our business grow so much and get our apartment listings in front of people we never would of normally see our local ads. It has great accounting functionality built into it that allows us to reconcile with our bank accounts in a very easy and effective way.

Cons
I do not have any complaints at this time when we first started using it 5 years ago there were a few things but they have been updating and adding features all the time and now there are no missing features or problems that are unresolved.

Andrew Eunpu

Rentec Direct great value for the price and functionality

Reviewed 2017-04-18
Review Source: Software Advice

I am a small startup (still getting my systems in place and don't have any other owners yet) in Montana. I researched Rentec Direct, Buildium, Rent Manager and Appfolio. One of my main concerns was taking on a monthly financial commitment when so young as a company. When all was said and done, I really appreciated that RD was created by a property manager who saw a need for this niche in 2007. The sales rep admitted that their first client is an owner-operator, not a property manager, but said they have made quite a few improvements toward serving the professional PM as well. It has been relatively easy to learn. I also like that the software comes with a tenant and owner login. How these components perform is yet to be seen, but I suspect it will work well. I also like that I did not have to commit for one year (Rent Manager, Appfolio) and that the price point was very reasonable with no extra charges for this or that and a very easy-to-understand pricing equation.

Pros
Reasonable price for a small startup, easy to learn, good accounting piece, website is included, customer service is very responsive to inquiries.

Cons
On-line application limited to 5 custom fields, included website could use a bit more functionality, nothing more at this time.

Robert Lindquist

Best Value and Easy To Use

Reviewed 2019-03-16
Review Source: Software Advice

Best value for the price and easy enough for the average person to get up and running.

Pros
I love the affordability of the software and the ease of use. I also like the ability to communicate and text the tenants through the portal and track them. Another great feature is the owner portal. Ny owner absolutely loves the easy access and variety of reports available as does her accountant.

Cons
Just a little difficult in the beginning setting up and getting the ACH approved for the payment of my owners. Another drawback was that the platform does not sync with my bank management account even though it says it can. I have to manually reconcile.

Response from Janell

Thanks for the kind words, Robert! Related to your bank Sync issue - some banks actually require separate passwords for sync functionality, and some banks even charge a fee for that tool (Rentec does not). Possibly this is the issue? There is also another option for downloading your transactions from your bank that could speed things up for you. Click here for more information: https://support.rentecdirect.com/knowledgebase/articles/281736-bank-synchronization-download-bank-transactions

Al Futrell

Does the Job

Reviewed 2016-12-10
Review Source: Software Advice

We have a small property business with only 25 units, so we do not need a killer application. Rentec Direct has proven to be a nice fit in terms of functionality as well as financially. Entering data is very easy and the application provides several different ways to view the data so that analyses are quick and to the point.

Pros
The price is right, but so is the functionality. I am not sure how well this application would work for an operation that had several hundred units, but for our small business it seems to be good. It saves us a great deal of time and enables us to be more productive by allowing us to assess our expenses per property quickly and accurately.

Cons
At times, we have to sort of figure out how to get the output we want. Some of the pages use terms that do not always seem intuitive, but this is really not a major issue.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Tim Wege

Easy simplicity with sufficient power to get the job done.

Reviewed 2014-06-13
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Although I have managed my own real estate investment portfolio for years, I needed to upgrade and strengthen my record keeping and reporting capability as I launch a property management business next year. After reviewing a number of vendors, I selected Rentec initially. The drivers for my selection were the apparent completeness of the capability while being quite simple to scale. Now, six months into the use of the system, my choice has been validated. I might add that one time, early on, I had to contact their tech support for advisement. I was able to reach a real person who had a very simple solution to my question. I'll be staying with Rentec.

Cons
I have "corporate expenses" that really are spread among my properties. I didn't find a straightforward method of capturing these expenses. I created a "Corporate Expense" property to capture these shared expenses. I'm probably missing this capability that likely already exists, but I haven't seen it yet.

William Williams

As a property owner/manager with multiple rentals, we simply could not manage without RentecDirect.

Reviewed 2018-02-15
Review Source: Software Advice

Our sincere thanks to the entire staff at RentecDirect. You've made our job of mananging properties so simple. It is clear that their support staff is worth the price of admission alone. When requests have been made, their staff takes them seriously and they constantly add requested features to their software when it makes sense and has an impact on everyone who uses it.

Pros
RentecDirect gives us a clear accounting of our properties and our tenants. With intuitive drill-down features, you can easily track and locate tenant's important information in seconds. You can also store important property information as well, such as door key codes. Besides giving you an accurate accounting of everything financial, RentecDirect has thought out every aspect of property management and delivers a package which simplifies the process and gives us a one-click report for our annual taxes.

Gus Gusman

A boon for both my company AND my landlords. Takes some of the headaches out of a headache business.

Reviewed 2018-08-17
Review Source: Software Advice

Was fortuitous finding this program! Everyone (underscore that) is professional, courteous even friendly. Especially appreciate their executive, as she never makes me feel like a dope. Even when my question warrants it!

Pros
Clean, easy, efficient ... and forgiving. It is easy to set-up new owners, properties and tenants. And just as easy to process rents, invoices, etc.

Cons
Some of the suggestions in the knowledge base sound like good ideas. And what about a property manager portal, or app?

Krystal McCauley

Almost all inclusive

Reviewed 2017-07-26
Review Source: Software Advice

Quick attention when I needed assistance.

Pros
I like that navigation is by way of drop down windows. This easy for me since it is like other software I use.

Cons
When linking the inspection app, z inspector, I found out that they are going to charge me monthly fees. I wish this function was part of your system.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Lisa Ann Quinn

Best Customer Service ever!!!! Great Product.

Reviewed 2017-06-13
Review Source: Software Advice

I shopped around for different software. We decided on this because it was affordable and seemed to be compatible for my size company. Their customer service is the best hands down. They are quick to respond and patient. They also implemented a new Chat service which is fantastic!

Pros
It streamlines so many things for me. There is a bit of a learning curve as with anything but you have their total support to get you through it. Whether it be email, phone, chat or their knowledge base.

Cons
Each state handles some things differently and so in some situations I have to manually do things and it can't be automatically set up.

Erica Sutton

I love this software

Reviewed 2018-12-17
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
I love the option and the way everything I need for my business blend perfectly! Everything I need is in this software

Cons
I only hate that I can’t delete multiple late fees at a time. You can only delete them one at a time.

Jan ice Kavounas

A much welcomed relief!

Used occasionally for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2017-05-06
Review Source: Software Advice

This is a fabulous program. It has simplified our property management bookkeeping and reporting soo much and saved us so much time. Now, I only wish you had a General Real Estate Back Office product that would pull data from our MLS and push it up to our franchise! We are in need of a new product. Using Broker Wolf right now and it is horrible! The reports are miserable!

Pros
Simplicity, detailed, client friendly reports and the best customer support I have ever received from any provider.

Cons
Reserve accounts. These were quite difficult for us to get set up at first. We are in good shape now thanks to the customer rep who patiently worked us through the setup. I would like to see, however, a part of the program for reserves that would be automatic so that my staff would not have to make modifications to the reserve amount monthly. For example, I may need $ a year in a reserve account for landlord but I do not take that money up front, I take a little each month. As I understand, it the system is set up to keep that amount from the landlord and I would not be able to pay anything until that is met so my staff puts an amount into the reserve that we take out monthly and then must adjust that amount every month. I would like it to be an automatic adjustment so that there is a total goal but the system knows to take only a little each month.

Treva Waters

Time Saver

Reviewed 2016-10-12
Review Source: Software Advice

I was doing everything manually before I did the trial for Rentec Direct. The simplicity was what made me fall in love with the software. I started out with 3 rentals and in three years I had 22. The reports that I ran for tax season was so helpful. I was able to file my own taxes. I would recommend this product for anyone that has two or twenty two houses.

Pros
How entries are posted to the journals immediately and I can run a new report on the spot. Nothing has to post overnight.

Cons
I don't like the format of the rent statements, I have to explain it to most of my tenants. I think that it should start off with the rent amount for the current month, then the late fee for the current month, then the past due rent as a whole not broken up. Then the balance due. When my low to mid income renters get behind, they pay on the past due balance for a few months and pay the current rent. The option to create how the statement will show would be nice.

Jared Baker

Reviewed 2016-09-08
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Rentec Direct is incredibly affordable compared to other property management software out there. They are very responsive when I need help with something. They are easy to work with and I've been working with Kathryn on an issue I'm having with accounting and she has spent extra time with me that she shouldn't have to. She is great and Rentec is lucky to have her.

Cons
The accounting is at times cumbersome to wade through the reports and find what I'm actually looking for.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Deb Zych

Awesome Inexpensive Product

Reviewed 2016-09-01
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
After purchasing my second two unit, I decided I needed a program to keep track of everything and started searching online for something to use. Rentec Direct was free to use, so I tried it. It is an awesome program! I have too many units for the free program, however, I have no problem paying to use it as it is that good. What I like best is that Rentec Direct continues to make changes resulting in a better product.

Cons
My only suggestion is that under the payment type drop down window, direct deposit needs to be added.

Wendy Ziegler

Great Software

Reviewed 2018-01-16
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Program is very easy to use. I used quickbooks for my rental property accounting and then a combination of paper, Word and Excel to keep track of everyone.With 50 units, I really needed something to keep better track of my tenants. It takes a while to get everything set up, but once you do everything works together seamlessly. I now only need to enter things once and not use multiple systems. The customer service is Amazing!! When I have questions they email me back within a couple of hours and have the answers I need. I haven't moved my website to Rentec yet, but I plan to soon.

Cons
Haven't really found anything that I don't like yet. The only thing I would change would be the deposit slips. I don't like that they don't print each check individually on them, just the total amount of deposit.

C Drysdale

Everything I needed

Reviewed 2016-08-31
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
It was easy to set up, and it's easy to use. I can easily pick and choose how much or how little of the program elements I want to use. It has plenty of report and tracking options, and provided lots of room for growth.

Cons
Really don't have any complaints. I wanted a way to compare properties profitability to one another and it doesn't do that. But I don't know that any of the rental property software out there does.

Yohan Caldwell

Great product easy to use

Reviewed 2018-07-25
Review Source: Software Advice

Overall it’s a great product that definitely makes managing properties much easier.

Pros
The product has a lot of cool features such as allowing me to create a website through the software.

Cons
You can’t pull a profit and loss statement from the software or a comprehensive accounting statement that I can give to my accountant

Brian Jacobsen

Great Product

Reviewed 2016-10-07
Review Source: Software Advice

I love using this software to manage our properties. Super intuitive and quite robust. They seem to be constantly adding features too! I especially like the tenant portal and automatic reminder notices. Credit card and ACH processing is very convenient for tenants which helps keeps things current. The customer support is fabulous. They are extremely knowledgeable and always quick to respond to questions. I especially love that the software is in the cloud, so support can look up our account in real time, and fix any issues.

Pros
Super easy to use. lots of tools to communicate directly with tenants. Reporting is great.

Cons
I wish there was easier mobile access. It's a little hard to use the messaging feature on a phone. It would be great if there was a way to add additional email addresses and mobile phone numbers so I could communicate with multiple tenants within the same unit.

Denise Oarr

Reviewed 2017-01-25
Review Source: Software Advice

We have been using Rentec Direct's software for over 2 years now. We are very happy with the program, specifically how easy it is to use. We find Rentec to be very user-friendly. However, when I do encounter a problem, I either email or call their support desk, they are on top of their game, especially Kathryn, I haven't come across a problem that she cannot solve!!

Pros
I would have to say I like that support has remote access to my system. It makes it so easy to explain an issue that I am having. Although they will not do it themselves, they have me solve the issue so that I can "learn" how do take care of it next time.

Cons
There are a few things that I would change in Rentec and have submitted my requests. It does take a while for them to be implemented, however, I'm sure they get many suggestions daily.

Palanivel Kuppusamy

Rentec is perfect for owners / managers of properties.

Reviewed 2016-09-29
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Clean, easy to use product. Very good tech support. Keeps improving. Priced reasonably. Good features like ACH, screening reports. Automatic posting to rental sites like zillow, hotpads etc.

Cons
Managing marketing info for the unit rental is not very straight forward. Cant easily replicate info from one unit to another. Loading pictures and arranging them could get better.

Greg Medina

Couldn't ask for a better solution for our business.

Reviewed 2016-11-14
Review Source: Software Advice

I'm consistently impressed with Rentec Direct's support and products. When we signed up it was to just do one tenant screen, but we found out they also have a complete software solution for managing our portfolio of properties. I used to use Quickbooks but after using Rentec's accounting tools for just a week I was sold because Rentec is so much easier. The other things that I really liked about this company is they tell it like it is. Their pricing is straight forward and they don't hide anything with hidden fees. Every time I contact their support, they are always friendly and very helpful too. I've called a few times now getting setup and I always get an English speaking rep who really knows their stuff.

Pros
Better support than I've ever experienced with any company, EVER! The software was really easy to learn. No term contracts, I like that.

Connie Bryant-Paynter

Great software, and service!

Reviewed 2017-06-29
Review Source: Software Advice

I have greatly appreciated the checking in and assisting with all the additional account set up items. You guys are top notch with contact and follow up. Professionally I've worked with large software companies like Yardi and Onesite as well as smaller groups like manage America. Rentec was my choice after reviewing and working with others. It had what I wanted and needed in a scalable platform that can grow with my portfolio.

Pros
Online payments Online apps Syndication of marketing Resident/owner portal .

Cons
Wished for better website templates so I didn't have to use another service. Maybe add advanced website at additional flat fee. I ended up using zoho.

Joyce Yellen

Rentec Direct Review Happy Happy

Reviewed 2015-12-01
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
As a property manager for the last 7 years I have used several different systems. My company recently purchased RenTec Direct and I love it!! It's the most user friendly straight forward software I have used. Being experienced in property management procedures I was able to jump right in and understand the program with very little studying of tutorials or calls to support. They have practically thought of everything; every report you need to have, a toggle over so you can read the description of every function, all the information you need about your account on each screen you use to enable to complete the task without searching elsewhere. It quickly feels like an old friend.

Cons
So far I have not found anything I really dislike at all. They remove the quick start guide after 30 days, I could have used that a little longer and an easy way to search for the more complicated report information I need would also help.

Scott Lumry

Reviewed 2013-01-16
Review Source: Software Advice

I have used the Rentech Direct Property Management system for six months now. With a small number of properties, my biggest concern was cost. This system met that criterion. Secondly, I wanted a system where my data was kept safely on a seperate computer than my laptop or desktop, and could be accessed from anywhere. Rentech met that. This product also had the additional feature of allowing tenants to book work orders and check their account status on-line in a secure manner. The third necessity was that the support side of the product be responsive and easily understood. I have been very pleased with their live help. Usually call, leave message and get contacted back all in the same day. Their on-line support could use some tweaking, however. There are several videos and written resolution on specific cases, and the training videos were helpful, but there are always issues that lie just a step or two beyond what is offered. A phone call resolves that. I am now at the end of year reporting stage and will need to go in and tweak some entries that wound up in wrong categories/accounts. I appreciate how much easier this has made my one man operation and look forward to finding even more efficiencies as I continue to use it.

Shannon Motter

Everything I need and things keep coming I didn't know I need.

Reviewed 2016-09-29
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
I like that everything is right there. The price is very reasonable and this application includes all of the items the very expensive programs include. The customer support has been incredible these last six years and they keep adding things that really help.

Cons
Strictly operator error, I forget my log in from time to time. Seriously, I haven't found anything I'm unhappy with.