Upper Hand Reviews

4.14/5 (63 reviews)

Pros
  • Ease of use.
  • ease of use.
  • Site was easy to use for the most part.
  • The premise that I could manage events for my business
Cons
  • The software offer more flexibility.
  • If you want everything, its gunna cost ya.
  • How the software runs and their customer service
  • doesn't have an app to access from my smart phone.
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Jameson Kronser

Great start and potential

Reviewed 2020-01-22

It has certainly given my coaches more independence to function on their own and manage their own sessions. I have needed to send out fewer reminders and be the "middle man" much less.

Pros
I like that it is automated and allows for me to focus more time on delivering my services rather than registering and recording participants

Cons
I would like the communication to clients to be more customization and I would like my clients to have an easier time navigating the software. I receive a lot of "please help" emails for relatively simple and common things. (like signing up for a session or unscheduling a session).

Response from Upper Hand

Hi Jameson,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with Upper Hand! We are glad to hear that using Upper Hand has allowed you to focus more on delivering services to your clients and less on admin work! That is our entire mission!

Also, thank you for sharing feedback on communication. Our most recent updates were focused around improving the communication with new event reminders and we have much more coming! Plan on hearing from us soon to schedule a call to review these features and get your feedback.

Thank you again and have a great day!

Brian Lipman

Terrible customer service

Reviewed 2019-06-29

Overall experience has been not good. The concept is great and there are some good things that it does but overall it runs bad. The program is very glitchy and there are alot of bugs. The app also runs horribly. It is not user friendly and can be confusing for clients to sign up and book lessons. The worst part about this companies product is their customer service. It’s takes forever for them to respond and their is not 24hr support. They are based on east coast and my Academy is on west coast. I’ve had major issue come up about their system and I have nobody that can help me. They are also non existent on the weekends. Very very frustrating!

Pros
I can have all the profiles of my clients and I loved the idea of the mobile app

Cons
How the software runs and their customer service

Response from Upper Hand

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your review, and I'm sorry to hear you feel we've fallen short on our service. We do our best to support customers in all time zones, however, our support is not 24/7, nor do we promote that. We are happy to set up scheduled calls with customers outside of normal support hours and do so frequently. If there is anything else we can do to improve your experience with Upper Hand, please let us know so we can address them as soon as possible. -TW

George Nahorski

The Support is 2nd to None!

Reviewed 2016-12-05

I wanted to find a software program that would not only free up my time on the soccer field but to offer the convenience for families to schedule and pay for sessions on-line. Their customer service is the #1 reason why I continue to work them as a partner. I specifically work with our rep, who is by far been my right hand person for my business! UpperHand has exceeded my expectations as a partner and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Pros
Camp registration saved us valuable time and money. The ability to pay my trainers directly from the software program. The software and website are easy to navigate internally and the feedback we received from the customer's side has only been positive.

Cons
I would like to see the ability to add waiver's online.

Response from Upper Hand

Thanks for the review George!

Barry Thompson

Mostly good, some functions were not intuitively found

Reviewed 2018-01-24

Pros
It allows me, Not be a money collector at my training sessions. I also like the reports. They are becoming increasingly useful

Response from Upper Hand

Thank you for the review, Barry!

Donnie Boykin

D-BAT Pearl

Reviewed 2020-01-21

Overall I am very pleased with the system.

Pros
I like the scheduling the best. Easy to set up new events.

Cons
Point of sale could. The credit card machine has been a problem. Would like to see some work on the way we send emails.

Justin Audrain

Software Review

Reviewed 2020-01-21

Pros
The ease of use for both the customer and employee perspective.

Cons
The flexibility from the schedule page. A current big miss is the drag and drop feature for events as well as the ability to cancel classes or customers from a class directly from the schedule.

Ronnie Grandison

Puts administrative tasks in the palm of your hand

Reviewed 2016-11-05

Great product! It allows you to set things up and get it out to the public in minutes. Your clients have the convenience of registering at any place and on any device.

Pros
I can set everything up without having major computer expertise.

Cons
The software offer more flexibility.

Response from Upper Hand

Thanks for the review Ronnie!

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

John Ard

Out customers love it!

Reviewed 2020-02-11

It's a critical tool that we rely on daily.

Pros
The user experience is top notch. It's a breeze for our customers to schedule their own lessons and camp attendance.

Cons
Would love for more features and reporting to be rolled out faster.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Sandi Levato

New User

Reviewed 2020-02-04

Being a new user we are still figuring out the system and find it difficult to "undo" some of the problems we are running in to. Customer Support has been great about helping us with work arounds and more importantly, escalating problems that aren't fixable to the design team to see if they can implement some needed changes.

Pros
It provides a means to keep our appointments organized.

Cons
It doesn't let you manipulate much for our specific need.

Response from Upper Hand

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are thrilled to hear that you have had a great experience with our support staff.

We're sorry to hear that you've found it difficult to undo certain things, and we'd like to learn more about the specifics you're referring to. We will be reaching out to setup a product feedback call to learn more about these use cases.

Again, thank you for the review!

Austin Nicely

Upper Hand Review

Reviewed 2020-01-30

Pros
I like the functionality of the quick scheduling tool. Makes it easy to schedule without going through the loops of POS.

Cons
Doing memberships can be a pain and not as user friendly.

Galen Harkness

Great Product

Reviewed 2016-12-05

Upper Hand has helped us, EYG Basketball, streamline our registration process as well as improve our organization and bookkeeping. It gives us the ability to set up a variety of training sessions, camps, or clinics, and gives customers the ability to see what fits their schedule. With automatic reminders via email and text messages about upcoming workouts or training, parents can easily remember the schedule.

Response from Upper Hand

Thanks for the review and continued support Galen!

Sal Rende

DBAT Chatt

Reviewed 2020-02-03

Pros
It seems to be a very usable software with everything we need in our business.

Cons
Biggest drawback is the lack of training that we received. And for the most part we struggled to get quick response to problem solving as they arose. Tho that has changed greatly in last week or so. Again, most likely due to training issues and not program issues

Response from Upper Hand

Sal,

First off, thanks for sharing your feedback. We are happy to hear that our software does everything you need to operate your business. However, we are sorry about the lack of initial training you and your staff received.

We hope that having our staff on site at your facility over the next two days will help solve this issue.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review!

Samantha Lupo

Middle of the Road Scheduling Software

Reviewed 2020-01-31

Very average. We have sought out other routes to take solely because it was not receipted well with our clients and not sufficing our day to day needs as a business.

Pros
There are certain features that many other scheduling software systems do not encompass. For example, private links to be sent to certain individuals.

Cons
The adaptability to cater to the business needs. This is a huge issue we are having. Many times I am told "I will let our engineers know of this" meaning this is something we cannot change and we have to deal with it. Also the system is not very user friendly for our clients. We have had many struggles with client interaction. Lastly, many glitches occur making use very hard at times.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Freddy Meyer

User friendly and great features

Reviewed 2020-01-21

Pros
Tabs are easy to use and build registration links. Customer support is very responsive.

Cons
Would like to have more access to be able to add/delete certain things. I feel like I have to ask support as opposed to there just being a button to do it myself.

Jim Leo

Was sold as alternative to Mindbody, far from the truth.

Used monthly for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2018-02-23

Pros
Support service was very good. One of the customer rep helped with sorting things out and was fairly available. From a sales standpoint, they make sure you feel comfortable and are persistent with you.

Cons
This software was sold with many promises that just didn't deliver. Having to pay the annual cost up front should have been a warning sign. We were sold on the concept this was a cheaper/better alternative to Mindbody. We were also sold on the fact we could get rid of our Shopify store. Once we paid, we soon learned the membership feature was still months from completion. We then discovered that replacing Shopify wasn't close to an option. I would have canceled at this point but they had our payment for the year. The disappointing part was we showed them our website, Mindbody site, and all the programs we offered and were told repeatedly Upper Hand could do nearly everything we needed ( or would soon). The membership features poor reports, the app was confusing to customers and was very limited in what we wanted to feature. We ended up using the events feature quite well, but then discovered the only way to provide refunds to send the customers emails to Upper Hand and they would issue refunds. Rather inefficient. It's a shame because they are based right here in Indy and we hoped to support local business. After complaining and asking for some sort of refund, I was told they would only refund the first two months on the year but couldn't refund the last few months of the previous year because "the books were closed". No offer to refund any of our annual payment. It's a shame but at the end of the day, I see we are not alone.

Response from Upper Hand

Hi Jim,

We are terribly sorry that you had a poor experience using Upper Hand. I know that upper management has been talking with you to make sure that this all gets resolved amicably.

If you could follow up with them, they will make sure that these issues are quickly resolved.

Thanks!
Upper Hand Team

Tim Bailey

Not there yet!

Reviewed 2020-01-30

Was told features I requested numerous times were coming soon but never came. We purchased a website through them and was told we owned the site until we went to cancel service. We were definitely mislead by the salesman or company.

Pros
Site was easy to use for the most part.

Cons
Lacking several must have features that my new software program has. Also had numerous occasions where I cancelled a client but they continued to get charged through Upperhand. Made me and my business look bad.

Eric McCulley

Lack of customization

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2020-01-30

Unfortunately we were "sold" on a product that could meet our clearly defined use cases and expectations. This was not true. Subsequently, our sales and account managers were moved off of our account and we transitioned multiple times. It was clear that there was no one from upper hand that was willing or wanting to make it right and subsequently we continued to pay for a service that we simply could not use! We are on record through multiple conversations over our relationships stating our dissatisfaction and subsequent inability to use this product. We asked for a refund and were denied. Truly a horrific experience for my business.

Pros
The premise that I could manage events for my business

Cons
The complete lack of customization and available software and/or plugins (parent/child accounts, financial and administrative dashboards)

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

BJ Mumford

Great concept, and greater customer support!

Reviewed 2016-12-05

The concept is great, although the product is still buggy and often undergoing updates and redesigns. The customer service is great, They have gone to great lengths to meet our specific needs, and make up for any shortcomings of the software while the kinks are worked out. Upper Hand saves us a lot of time and makes the registration and payment process seamless for our clients. We will continue to use Upper Hand, and look forward to the new interface being fully integrated!

Pros
Ease of use.

Cons
Errors in registration availability for clients, dual interface system, lack of some capability in a new interface.

Response from Upper Hand

Thanks for the review BJ!

Troy Smith

World Class

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2019-04-03

Pros
EVERYTHING! This software allows you to do everything. Scheduling, coaching, registering... Love the mobile aspect and having everything at hand.

Cons
If you want everything, its gunna cost ya.

Response from Upper Hand

Hi Troy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review about Upper Hand. We are glad that you've enjoyed it!

Carlos Almeida

Great product

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2020-02-07

Upperhand allows me to focus on my business and makes communicating with existing clients easy.

Pros
Ability to market to to my client base. Allows me to build and organize a data base of clients

Cons
Notification of session reminders (which has recently been upgraded and feature added)

Response from Upper Hand

Hi Carlos!

We appreciate the the kind words and taking the time to share your review of Upper Hand.

We're also happy to hear that one of our most recent features - notification reminders - is something that will add value to how you run your business.

Have a great day and thanks for the review!

Gabriela Palacios

D-BAT COS Review

Reviewed 2020-01-21

Very responsive when we encounter our issues

Pros
It’s organized, and we now enjoy receiving reminders for camps, clinics, and lessons.

Cons
It’s not retail friendly at all. We encounter so many issues daily as far as scheduling lessons, camps, and clinics. We have a lot of issues editing contact information, and we have always had issues with our app connected to the system.

Jordan Haverly

VC United Review

Reviewed 2020-01-21

Overall I like it and its easy to use.

Pros
Ease of use and ability to set up the camps and clinics we need on the software.

Cons
I am not able to add some of the detailed options I would like into the camps and clinics, and I do not have control over refunds and such from my end

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Michele Tague

Not really as described - Needs more work

Used occasionally for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2017-10-09

none - we canceled before going live

Pros
Strong concept and truly needed in the management of large clubs. Basically functionality of the system is strong and it was easy to set-up initial events. However, needed to create workarounds to define events like we wanted them set-up.

Cons
The Sales Team oversold the existing functionality that was currently available and we proceeded based on that understanding, paid the initiation fees to later find out key functionality to us was not available. Major pain points included 1) inability to turn off accepting checks 2) generic waivers are built to primarily protect Upper Hand not the client 3) client invite process is cumbersome and add new client lists difficult to customize 4) emails and calls took days to get a response including the email to cancel.

Response from Upper Hand

Michele,

We are pleased to announce that all 3 of the product issues that you stated have been addressed. Update below:

1. You can now turn on/off check, cash and credit card payments based on your preferences.
2. We have custom waivers that you can bring in to the system for free.
3. We have and are continuing to improve the client invite process.
4. We have added additional resources to our support team to ensure more timely responses to our customers and their clients.

Also, we did end up issuing a full refund to you and closed the loop very amicably. We appreciate you giving us a shot, and hope to have you as a customer in the future!

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Tatum Boehnke

So far, so good. Staff is helpful and system is user friendly.

Reviewed 2018-01-24

Pros
I like that we can use it to market other events to our families. A family coming on to sign up for basketball clinics might not know that we also have a track team, but on upperhand they can get the full scope of what we offer.

Cons
Same thing, but I hate how you have to change the time dial when putting in time of events! I also would love for there to be a text feature!

Response from Upper Hand

Thanks for the review and feedback, Tatum!

greg holcomb

Awesome product for QB training academy

Reviewed 2016-10-31

i'm extremely happy with the upperhand product. it allows the parents of the QB's i train to purchase and schedule sessions very easily. and it allows me to focus more on training and less administrative tasks.

Pros
ease of use.

Cons
doesn't have an app to access from my smart phone.

Response from Upper Hand

Thanks for the review, Greg!