Aloha EPOS Logo

Aloha EPOS

Restaurant management and EPOS solution for businesses

Aloha EPOS Reviews

4.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.6/10

Reviews by rating

Overall, Aloha is a very good software to use and recommend it to restaurants to use for their employers.
Then they can only “escalate” which means it gets routed to another idiot in India who calls you back in a couple of days to tell you to reboot the system.
The only problem is with so many other options out there on the market Aloha has failed to lower their prices to be more competitive.
Nothing stands out enough to dislike the software, sometimes the POS freezes and it needs to be manually restarted.

Justyna K.

Food & Beverages, 10,001+ employees

Like the table layout on the screen

For managers great tool to keep track of all the comps voids labor and etc.

Pros

So much easier than micros. Dummy proof for new servers. Easy for servers to navigate.

Cons

Credits cards system from time to time goes down. Customer service hard to reach in the timely manner.

Brian H.

Higher Education, 10,001+ employees

Make your F&B ePOS work for you the easy way

Put it this way: when I would go to interview here and there for management positions in restaurants, one of the first things I'd do is steal a quick glance around to see what ePOS was in use. When I would see Aloha, it was an immediate sense of relief. They are just so easy to learn and use. So much so that I dare say it will still help you save money even if you are replacing an old, paid-off...

Pros

I have worked in restaurant management across the world, and have encountered various ePOS systems that do the job but that's about it. Aloha is not one of those. You could quit literally sit someone down in front of it and in 5 minutes they'll know the basics, 10 minutes they will be able to enter more complex orders and complex checkouts (e.g. split checks, etc.), and in 30 minutes they could be capable of programming your entire business into it from scratch and running any report you could want. A la iPhone. It really is that simple to use.

Cons

Like any computer, terminals can sometimes get glitchy and must be rebooted, but impatient folk servers and managers alike may start thumping on the screen with their pens, fingernails, etc, and after awhile it will take a toll on the touchscreen. But I've experienced this in $10mln/yr volume restaurants when they are under heavy use, not $2mln/yr volume businesses.

Restaurants, 501-1,000 employees

Should Have Stayed in Hardware - Not Good Software

I am frustrated with this software more often that I am not. It has taken about a year for me to figure out all the workarounds to get the information I need. The language on the brand side is not clear, the functionality is antiquated, and NCR should have stuck with just making cash registers. Software is not their game.

Pros

The thing I like most is that it does integrate across most restaurant functions - it covers loyalty, POS, has build-ins for inventory, etc. And the POS terminals are great. But the software does not have much going for it.

Cons

This software looks like it was built super well for the early 10's and hasn't been updated since. When I was onboarded, I watched videos that were made in 2012 and the look/feel of the functionality hadn't changed at all. Almost 10 years after being built, it hadn't made any UX updates. The loyalty program, though it says it has the ability to segment, does not. You must pull a report that shows every single one of your Guest Loyalty members, then in your own Excel sheet, filter by location, then filter by when they were last in the restaurant, then filter by the information you're actually looking for. There is no easy way to pull any of this Marketing information.

Kelly M.

Food & Beverages, 10,001+ employees

The easiest Point of Sale System of them all to learn and use.

What is there not to like about software created for staff of all levels of experience. In previous places of employment, I had worked with the point of sale systems that were so intricate that it took me weeks to fully master all of the features to its operation, so I was a bit worried that Aloha would turn out to be another one of those. Little did I know that this would be the software that made me into the confident server I am today.

Pros

The Aloha POS System was by far the easiest software I have encountered throughout my work experience in the Food & Beverage Industry. The interface of the actual system itself that I used to enter customer orders into had everything right in front of your eyes on the main page of the screen, which allowed me to enter my orders quickly and accurately. This layout also helped me manage several customers tabs at once without having to jump through several hurdles to do so. Anytime an order needed a modification last minute, I was able to get the system to help in time.

Cons

There were honestly no features in this software that I came across and questioned its purpose or use. Everything has a place and where that place happens to be just makes sense for the establishment that it is attached to.

Muhamet C.

The Future of POS is Here

Easy to know the complete net of each individual at any given moment of the shift gave a bird's eye view of the dining room/area, increased sales production, supply and demand

Pros

Functionality is good, easy to rummage through, toggle and navigate made easy by touchscreen capable, orderly, tacks on prices for add ons

Cons

Color coating, less crowding, easy back office, waiters/waitresses may deceive (the system) easily if entrusted

Aloha Review

Pros

I use Aloha at the restaurant I work at; it is the computer system we use to send our orders to the kitchen. What I like most about this software is that it is very easy to use. The layout and color scheme is nice and not too outdated or overpowering.

Cons

There is one specific issue that comes to my mind from using Aloha that I liked least. When I was typing in an order one day and then sent it through to the kitchen, the kitchen was not able to receive the entire order of what I typed. It got cut off and I think that was due to typing in too much information. It may have also been because of the specific button I used. Regardless, this isn't a big issue and it's not like people are going to be typing in "novels" to send into the kitchen.

Events Services, 51-200 employees

Great software for restaurants!

Aloha is a great POS for restaurants, I think it can be used for restaurants of all sizes. We were able to manage a high volume with the software. I was really happy with it and would definitely use it again.

Pros

It was easy to use and setup all of the different variations for the restaurant food items. It was also easy to use from a management perspective, track per person average sales, etc.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind, it was a great software at the restaurant and easy to train employees on.

SU

Susan U.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Aloha Makes Everything Easier

Aloha has been overwhelmingly positive and very helpful in organizing and keeping track of everything at our restaurant.

Pros

Aloha is extremely intuitive and simple to use. It’s great for people who are new to the restaurant industry. And great for those of us who are seasoned.

Cons

I dislike that it must be run insync with Windows.

Niklaus K.

Leader for a reason

The reporting and back-end functions are easy to learn compared to other programs. Servers love how simple it is to use and learn. It's the fastest for ordering food I've come across.

Pros

Visually appealing and powerful. Aloha makes ordering items easy and it's also the easiest POS, I've worked with, to modify items.

Cons

The ability to transfer checks between staff could be easier. Most places don't do that often, but others do.

ES

Elizabeth S.

Entertainment, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Decent Program

Pros

It is easy to learn, and teaching employees to use is a lot easier than with other similar POS systems.

Cons

Menu changes and initial setup takes forever, and updating items for daily specials and menu changes is more time consuming than with other systems.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Great features, Difficult Access

My restaurant first opened using the RPower POS system. It worked well for a while, but as we grew busier it became apparent that modifications, and edits to orders were taking much too long, and felt very clunky. I think that Aloha gives servers the ability to streamline their orders and as they become more comfortable with the system they can become quite speedy. Overall Aloha is the best POS system that I have used so far, but nothing is perfect.

Pros

I believe that Aloha gives the user more abilities in the front of the house than most POS systems I have used. The ability to highlight multiple items at once and duplicate/delete is a great feature not found in other systems. I also enjoy the overall lay out of the buttons, as far as having space between each button (which makes it easier for touch screen use), and the ability to add as many different sub menus at desired.

Cons

I wish that there was a way to customize the color of the buttons. When this system is implemented in busy restaurants (which is my experience with it) color coding different things such as ingredient/sauces/allergies could make the adjustment period for new servers much quicker, and cut down on the amount of time spent searching for certain things in the menus. I also feel like the strength of Aloha is in its day to day use. When using the master computer to try and revamp, or set up new menu items in the office the process is far from intuitive, and takes a long time to become proficient in. Maybe if there was a 'helpful hints' type feature for new user that would be a great addition.

WK

William K.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

A good product that did not keep up with the times

We us Aloha for Point of sale at a restaurant. Our biggest problem, is that we can't do basic necessary upgrades like accept chip reader credit cards, or online ordering. Our server software is not compatible without windows 10 and windows 97 is out of date.

Pros

The front of house interface is relatively easy to use. Quick and easy to navigate. The back of the house component is moderately easy to use and change.

Cons

The problem with this platform, is that because of its design, it can not keep up with regulatory or technological advancements. It was a major outlay financially, and because ti is not flexible, it can not be brought up to date, it needs to be replaced.

RS

Roscoe S.

Good but probably outdated

Loved East Bay Cash Register who sold me two systems, but now that NCR manages them, it’s over. Bye

Pros

Easy for waiters to use. Reports are easy to read. The hardware is fairly robust, purpose built.

Cons

Service once was wonderful, but since NCR bought them a couple of years ago it’s a cluster fuck. Initial support is routed to India where you’re on hold for 10 - 20 minutes, to talk to someone whose only solution is to reboot, which of course we’ve already done. Then they can only “escalate” which means it gets routed to another idiot in India who calls you back in a couple of days to tell you to...

EH

Elizabeth H.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Behind the times

Pros

Aloha was great in the late 00's when it was the most advanced POS system around. It has detailed reporting and is widely known in the hospitality industry

Cons

It is not cloud based. Your computer goes down, god speed! The reports are clunky and hard to define if you want to drill down.

EW

Eric W.

Recreational Facilities and Services, 11-50 employees

Aloha is the best POS system we have used to operate our restaurant

We have used 3 different POS systems and overall found Aloha to be the most compatible for our restaurant.

Pros

This is the most user-friendly POS we have used in the restaurant The back office is very easy to use for reports, inventory control and POS terminal maintenance Aloha also has a direct affect on our customers. Our staff finds it easy to use and they spend less time learning and more time providing the best customer service experience.

Cons

This was the most expensive POS we have purchased at our restaurant. If our POS terminals go down it tends to take some time for replacement

al

alessa l.

highly recommended!

i personally have worked with aloha for years in the restaurant industry & it hasn't failed me yet. can easily switch through many settings very fast. multitasking made efficiently! splits checks and turns on and off whatever inventory can be used or not through custom settings. many more features once you get working with it !

Pros

straight forward interface, fast settings, fast action buttons and shortcuts. Making team member cards and adjusting features on a custom level is an amazing pro definitely.

Cons

glitches, unexpected reset, some screen freezing .

JB

Justin B.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

Used to be a great product

Years ago it was great software with great support. It hasn't kept up and upgrades are ridiculously expensive. I can't imagine seeing it at any new locations.

Pros

There are more features available on Aloha than in most POS systems. You just have to figure out how to use them (and support doesn't even know most of them!)

Cons

Aloha used to be the best option in POS. Unfortunately, support has plummeted, and any features that are included in newer platforms are either unavailable or expensive monthly payments to acquire.

MW

Maggie W.

Restaurants, 1,001-5,000 employees

Aloha for Restaurants

Pros

I love how easy it is to set up the POS to completely mirror your menu, making it more user friendly for the staff. I also like that it can be set up with your back office software to pull real time numbers and real time inventory, keeping everything much cleaner and streamlined.

Cons

Sometimes there are weird little quirks with giftcards, both selling and redeeming. I also wish it was easier to locate a previous transaction by the last 4 digits of a credit card number.

HS

Heather S.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Ringing in Food

Using Aloha as a server made putting in orders so easy. The mods were all right there with the menu items making even larger orders quick and seemingly error proof. The listing of the order placed was clearly visiable on the left side of the screen so add on or mistakes were seen before the order eas sent

Pros

While setting up the menus in the system the organization and catorgies were so easy to set up. The rep waa very knowledgeable and asked questions about the food itself to better understand the needs of the servers ordering process.

Cons

When we made menu changes it seemed difficult and expensive to remove or add items. The reps were slow to reply and kept trying to sell am upgrade our system.

CL

Cate L.

Aloha from Oklahoma!

With a long history in the restaurant industry I have worked with my fair share of POS systems. Squirrel and Square being the most recent and relevant competitors. Aloha is by far the superior product in my opinion. The ease of use as far as setting up table and table numbers, server log-ins, adjusting orders, etc. The cross-platform functionality allows me to easily adjust menu items, their location...

Pros

Ease of use, functionality, cross-platform ability makes things simple.

Cons

Managing permissions can be somewhat tricky.

PH

Patrick H.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Aloha

Always been great!

Pros

I’ve used it for years and have always loved how straightforward and simple this operation system has been to use.

Cons

Can’t really think of anything I dislike about aloha.

HW

Heather W.

Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 employees

Great POS!

I would say that of the point of sale systems I have run across, this is definitely one of my favorites. I find it easy to teach, and rare to come across problems.

Pros

This point of sale system is popular for a reason its clearly one of the best. Their customer service is great (if you ever have to contact them anyway), and deployment is easy because it's very user friendly. It takes virtually no time at all to get used to, and it runs smoothly and easily.

Cons

There not much to dislike, it's been great to use. I think pricing is pretty standard for the system, and it's been easy to use.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

A little outdated, but gets the job done

I have used Aloha for the past 10 years. Although the software serves it purpose well, I do feel like newer technology is coming out that has already surpassed Aloha.

Pros

The software is easy to learn and the interface is simple and straightforward.

Cons

The system seemed to need rebooting quite often in the middle of a shift which would be frustrating for our restaurants team members who needed to ring up items on the Aloha terminal.

RB

Ronnie B.

Restaurants, 10,001+ employees

Overall Great Product

Overall easy to maneuver software. Easily controls employee clock in/out times. Holds easy access to sales through the POS. Overall great product.

Pros

Easy to learn software, most things are easily coded to navigate at ease. In the POS things are categorized which makes it easy on new employees.

TB

Tyler B.

Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees

Aloha Review

Pros

This is a very reliable POS system. They've been a mainstay forever. It remains easy to use on the server/bartender side.

Cons

The difficulty of this system is on the manager/owner side. Because this system is not cloud based, there is a big lack of functionality, especially not being able to view the daily restaurant performance while away from the location. In order to change items in the system, the entire system has to be re-booted, which is not ideal during service. Reporting is hard to use and requires a time commitment to get the reports you need. At times, it can be "clunky".