Upserve POS Reviews

Upserve POS

Restaurant & Bar iPad POS Management System

4.45/5 (255 reviews)

Pros
  • It is far more affordable than most POS software/hardware options, is reliable, and has great customer service.Anna T.Read the full review
  • The software makes it fairly easy to set up new menu items and categories. I love the useful reports that you can make, like find top 100 customers; which beer we sold the most on any one night.Ronda R.Read the full review
  • Support team is really amazing, quick and responsive. They also gave us a great rate to be our payment processor.Devon M.Read the full review
Cons
  • There are bugs, glitches and programming errors that are repeatedly dismissed and pushed aside. It seems that internal priorities seemed to have shifted toward investor demands.David K.Read the full review
  • It’s hard to move order and restart. Sometimes we have problem with clocking in and it causes inconveniences.Bryant P.Read the full review
  • If our internet went down it was very inconvenient for customers.Angelo S.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Kolby Goryl

Upserve is Second to None

Reviewed 2019-08-20

From back office functionality to ease of training to customer service my experience with Upserve is rivaled by no other POS system.

Pros
The fact that a new-hire can be fully versed in the software within 2 training shifts is impeccable.

Cons
I do no like that the table view shows all open tables and not tables assigned only to the person logged in.

Tara Downs

Restaurant Usage for UpservePOS

Reviewed 2020-02-13

I love all of the reporting that UpservePOS has available to me. It makes staying on top of my business a breeze.

Pros
It is easy to use, easy to train new employees and makes service easy. Customer service is always available and is really helpful!

Cons
There are still a few features that UpservePOS doesn't have that would help my business.

Anna Toth

Intuitive, reliable, affordable

Reviewed 2019-12-01

Overall our experience has been great. Many previous issues with the software have been solved over the years.

Pros
Upserve is an easy point of use system to set up and use. New employees require very little training, as the interface is simple and intuitive. Likewise, setup and admin work is quick and easy to figure out, even for those of us who are not all too tech savvy. It is far more affordable than most POS software/hardware options, is reliable, and has great customer service.

Cons
It should upload to quickbooks without a third party software.

Robert Cron

Fine. When it works...

Reviewed 2019-05-16

They are a necessary evil.

Pros
Easy to use. Nothing too fancy but we don't need it to be fancy. We just need it to work

Cons
Every time there is a malfunction, it's never minor - it's a trainwreck. And then having to deal with customer service. Multiple times witb multiple people. And they never make it up to you - no credit for the inconvenience, nothing. No effort at reaching out to make things right. I Hate having to deal with it when the POS goes down. I always know it will be fucked up and I will lose money out of it and Upserve wont make it 100% right or whole.

Response from Upserve

Hi there Robert - thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear that your experience thus far hasn't been great. I took a look at your support tickets and it looks like our Support team has been able to troubleshoot and resolve your issues on the first call. If there's anything else we can help out with or how we can make resolutions quicker for you, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thanks.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Ronda Reagan

Great POS

Reviewed 2020-02-14

Overall, my experience with Upserve POS has been seamlessly a great one.

Pros
The PEARL is a bar. We don't sell food yet. The software makes it fairly easy to set up new menu items and categories. I love the useful reports that you can make, like find top 100 customers; which beer we sold the most on any one night. And customer support is excellent. By far, I'd say that the customer support is the best ever.

Cons
The only thing I can think of is that we have Happy Hour prices and then regular prices. When I want to try to keep tract of inventory of a beer, I might put in that we have 24 or 48 beers of a certain brand. When they are sold the two categories of say Bud Light and HH Bud Light do not merge as they count down. So, using it for inventory is not working for me.

Heather Thompson

Happy Upserve users

Reviewed 2020-03-10

Pros
We've been happily using Upserve for our POS system for a few years now. We originally chose them because they offered to customize the program for our service style (small/shared plates and lots of takeout). Though it hasn't been perfect, their customer service team is always responsive and pleasant both over the phone and via e-mail.

Cons
The toughest time came when we wanted to update our hardware an opted to switch to their Android (as opposed to iPad) terminals. It was a new system and there were many more kinks to work out and glitches than we expected. They worked with us to get the system smoothed out, but in the future we won't be so eager to jump on the latest edition!

Devon Moore

Intuitive restaurant pos

Reviewed 2019-12-05

Great reporting suite included. Cuts down on data collection and double checking.

Pros
It works great for dine in pos. Support team is really amazing, quick and responsive. They also gave us a great rate to be our payment processor.

Cons
They need to do some work tailoring the system to work better for deliver and take out. There are a few odd behaviors for staff working double shifts as well, but generally avoidable

Katie Motes

Amazing customer service!

Reviewed 2019-12-03

Pros
It is simple to use and set up. We have no issues training anyone on it and everyone finds it easy to use. Their customer service line is amazing and fast. Every time we have had any issues, they solved it very fast!! We love [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]! He was helpful and really efficient on getting everything done.

Cons
We don't have anything negative to say about Upserve.

jacob minkus

Great Customer Service

Reviewed 2020-02-13

Pros
The customer service team at Upserve is fantastic. They've always been helpful, polite and kind. I honestly don't think I've worked with a customer service team that has been so helpful—especially these days when every customer service agent is being replaced by some sort of robot.

Cons
There are some minute features that would be nice to have—nothing major, but little settings we wish were included—things we could turn on or off instead of always being on.

Ken Glasheen

First time user

Reviewed 2020-02-14

Whenever we have issues, either my team or myself, it is very easy to get a hold of customer support and they are always helpful and stay on the line until a problem is resolved.

Pros
I like the idea that I can see my daily sales and items that sell the best

Cons
As an admin and not a user, it is difficult for me to understand the ins and outs with this software. It appears that there are a lot of options and functions that this software can provide and tools to assist in running a business.

Restaurant Must-Have

Reviewed 2019-10-22

Great! Sales was honest and straight forward. Implementation was fairly easy. Support is always available via chat or phone. It has great analytics that are imperative to restaurant success.

Pros
Ease of use - even without training, anyone can figure out their way around the POS. It's very intuitive. No back office computer! This is HUGE. Everything is cloud-based, so you can edit menu items on the fly from your phone, laptop, or ipad while you're not on site. Reporting is easily accessible. System is clean, sleek, and blends in easily with its surroundings. The fact that it is app-based is key to the overall savings you see - you never have to worry about paying to update your system like you do with Micros, Aloha, etc.

Cons
Offline Mode (though I haven't found a POS with a better solution). The limitations on customization of comping/voiding abilities. There isn't a way to schedule happy hour/food discounts without having to create duplicate items with different pricing and placing that menu on a timed schedule - however, these items are always searchable no matter day or time. There is no visibility into user changes of things like timesheets - i.e. a manager could change their own timecard, and there would be no way to prove/cross check. There's no accountability with timecard fraud possibilities.

Streamlined and simple POS

Reviewed 2019-01-25

Overall it's pretty good for our quick service restaurant. We've used several POS systems over the last 15 years and it has less user-interface customization, but I think that's for the better. Sometimes POS's suffer from *too many* customization options and you end up with a cluttered interface which slows down order-taking. We do not have table service, so those features on the POS we cannot comment on.

Pros
For new front-of-the-house employees the learning curve is easy - if you have ever used an app then you've already started your training in Upserve. Also, equipment replacement (iPads, routers) will be relatively cheaper and much easier than full system upgrades. As restaurant infrastructure goes it's great not needing a back office computer, and yet reports and menus and setup can still be handled through any web-browser. This is great for those of us who can't always be present.

Cons
There can be connectivity issues, but they're much fewer since this company took over. If you or Upserve are offline then things go into Offline Mode which still is buggy at times - especially with credit cards. Also, Offline Mode puts the onus on you to trust whether a card will be approved or not. But, this is rare. Not a huge issue with us where our average check is low, but high-end places may want to be aware of workarounds and fixes.

Response from Upserve

Hi there -

Thank you for your feedback. Here at Upserve, we're constantly trying to better our solution to fit the needs of the restauranteur. This includes our Offline Mode capabilities. We know that losing WIFI can be detrimental to restaurants, so we released our new Android-based POS so you can hardwire your solution. Along with that, we continue to make updates on our Offline Mode feature to really enhance the user experience. Please continue to provide us with your feedback - this helps us make sure we're steering our product in the right direction.

Cheers!

Greg Mayer

I install and maintain POS hardware and software for hundreds of restaurants - Breadcrumb Review

Reviewed 2018-10-19

I am an IT tech who has installed and maintained every type of POS out there. This is definitely one of my favorites for restaurants with one station or ten. Great for bars and restaurants with heavy traffic - very reliable.

Pros
After doing computer repair for 20 years and point of sale for retail, restaurants, and hotels - I can honestly say that Breadcrumb offers one of the best solutions. Apple Hardware-based, good hard-wired printers, good quality, and solid router/firewall installs with the best equipment out there. I feel like this POS offering is more resilient and reliable than the competitors due to the good hardware and the easy to use APP. Calling into support day or late at night you will speak to a knowledgeable and helpful tech who gets you the info you need to carry on business. They have remote access and can see where the problem is - instead of sending you an overpriced technician from out of state at twice the price because you're mysteriously not up and running (rare). No service is perfect but having a reliable tech on the other end of the phone is worth it's weight in gold.

Cons
I would guess that a con is the high price of hardware but that's unavoidable - if you're using the best hardware available (Apple, StarTSP, Cisco Meraki) then it might carry a higher price tag but the tradeoff is reliability. You wouldn't get Breadcrumb if you're trying to cut corners and save money - this is the real deal iPad based and dependable system. Cost is always on the mind of business owners so this could be an issue for some business owners but if you aren't spending an hour a day working through tech issues aren't you really just saving money in the long run?

Response from Upserve

Hi Greg, thanks for your amazing review! We are happy to hear that our services stand out amongst our competitors and that our customer service has been such an asset for you. Thanks again for the great review!

David Knighton

Frustration Growing

Reviewed 2019-09-19

We loved Breadcrumb once upon a time, and we have done a lot to bring others to Upserve. Now, we are exploring other options to replace Upserve. In fact we are testing one now at our largest location in the country. We have realized Upserve has grown too big. Nobody inside the organization cares that there's a huge security glitch in their coding that has cost us money. And despite promise after promise to fix it, we are now 10 months later with no resolution. It's evident Upserve has other priorities, and we are not one of them.

Pros
Ease of use. Simplicity. And in the beginning, responsiveness of Breadcrumb to improving the product.

Cons
Today, lack of responsiveness. There are bugs, glitches and programming errors that are repeatedly dismissed and pushed aside. It seems that internal priorities seemed to have shifted toward investor demands. Upserve's guests are not as important as they once were.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

mike van meter

Upserve POS Review

Reviewed 2019-09-21

Pros
Intuitive and user friendly design that is reliable.

Cons
We were hoping that the portable POS would not just be shrunken down versions of the normal POS. Some of the charging ports and charging ports have needed to be replace more frequently than we thought they would.

Melanie Snyder

Helps ease day-to-day of small Local Business

Reviewed 2019-04-25

Upserve is so much faster than our old system, as well as much more user-friendly. Anything I can't figure out myself, I can easily chat with a representative and have my question answered within minutes. Our menu is extensive and fully customizable, and this software makes waiting tables a breeze! Honestly, we were hesitant to spend such a seemingly-large chunk of money intitally, but it has been SO worth it. The time and energy saved from not hassling with a stubborn old computer system has bee miraculous! Everything is all in one place and so easy to use- I can't praise this system enough!

Pros
-Overall customizability for modifications and personalization -Exceptional interactions and support from representatives throughout set-up and for occasional questions -Constantly improving dynamics and usability -Development of new features that make the program even more of a "one stop shop" (ie. processing, scheduling staff, inventory, accounting, menu management, etc.) -Consistent quality and service (software doesn't glitch or freeze, equipment is great quality, and super easy to use)

Cons
-Initial set-up cost was a little intimidating, however well worth it long term -Merchant pricing was a little difficult to understand, however our representatives walked us through everything -Would like to automatically receive one monthly summary/billing statement without having to "subscribe" to multiple reports

Response from Upserve

Hi there Melanie - thank you for this review! It's feedback like this that really help us as a company grow, and better understand how we can do better. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support team, or your Customer Success Manager if you have any questions or feature requests. We're open to any ideas that come our way. Cheers!

Leandro Utrera de Paula

Breadcrumb is an excellent POS system, but lack security

Reviewed 2018-09-11

We are using the POS system in our 4 corporate restaurants and will be migrating the last one in 2 months. We use it for the employees to clock in/out, open checks for the guests, close checks, and receive payments. It addresses better control for our restaurant operation, in fact, we have some concern about the security related to users, but I love Breadcrumb because their team is always up to improve the system according to our needs. For any restaurant business, this is a very good system.

Pros
Very friendly interface for any level user, even the back office is pretty easy to deal with. There is a 24/7 support that you can contact direct from your terminal. Good rate when compared to other competitors. The team that works for Breadcrumb is always willing to help.

Cons
User security is not the best deal, any employee can clock in/out without supervisor approval. There should be more detailed security levels, for example, I do not want my manager to change roles, but if they can manage users they can manage roles as well. Split Checks should be easier to deal with. Additionally to that you cannot use the same table until the previous check is closed.

Response from Upserve

Hi Leandro, thanks for your review and feedback! We are glad to hear that our interface has been so user friendly for you and your staff. Thanks again for the helpful review!

Chris Kim

Modern day update to POS Systems

Reviewed 2019-10-05

It is a great system that allows an ease of use in a friendly interface that is very intuitive.

Pros
The ability to do back office reporting ans setup without having to either be onsite or remote into a server

Cons
Ability to do a detailed audit of a check at a granular level.

Patrick Fox

Small Resort with Small Restaurant and Breadcrumb POS helped mightly

Reviewed 2018-09-27

The software is easy to use, intuitive and designed obviously by several successful, former restaurant owners. Features are bountiful, but all times they are open to improvements or additions.

Pros
The tech support provided by Breadcrumb is what I wish all our technology partners (wifi support, social media support, computer tech, customer reservation software) used here at Boulder Creek Lodge could emulate. My experience has been that the tech support is fast, polite, talented knowledgeable of the Breadcrumb software to provide quick and effective tech support.

Cons
Often our resort hosts corporate guests that stay with us over more than just one day. The guest has a desire to "run a tab" over perhaps a month. Right now from what we are told we need to close out every night. It would help us avoid recording restaurant purchases in a note pad and adding then creating a ticket the last day of their stay.

Response from Upserve

Hi Patrick, thanks for the great review! We are happy to hear that our support team has been such an asset to your business. Thanks again for the review!

Connie Sisco

User friendly and integrates well with other systems.

Reviewed 2019-01-31

Pros
Upserve has been easy to use since day one. The user interface is set up logically, it has the ability to make changes quickly and seamlessly, and it is very easy to train staff on the system.

Cons
There have been a couple of instances in which we wanted to make a customization, but then found that it was not an item that could be customized. We've been told that it may get added to a future feature, but it hasn't come to fruition yet. It is a bit pricer compared to some POS systems, but it suits our needs and gives us access to a lot of data about our business and customers that it feels worth the extra cost.

Response from Upserve

Hi there Connie!

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to have Venn Brewing a part of the Upserve family!

As you know, we happily take customer feedback and consider it every time we release new features. One feature that we're excited to release soon is custom reporting, which would provide our customers the ability to built out reporting that specifically fits their needs. Feel free to reach out to your Customer Success Manager who can provide more context about it, and please continue to provide your feedback about our product - you help us be better!

Cheers,
The Upserve Team

Eric Handwerger

Great product with great people and great service

Reviewed 2019-09-19

Pros
We’ve used Upserve for 4 plus years now and we have never had an issue that wasn’t resolved in more than 24 hours. The product is wonderful and the service we’ve experienced is great.

Cons
The only change we would make is to the EMV processing speed. I know it’s being worked on so that’s really all they can do at this time. Maybe a nice display on the EMV reader to make it easier for guests to use

Lydia Melton

Great product with few flaws

Reviewed 2018-04-25

Awesome analytics, great reporting tools and easily compatible with other third party vendors.

Pros
This software is great and the analytics are super powerful. It can tell you what sever's are performing best, new vs repeat customers based on credit card data etc. Definitely ahead of the curve technologically. It's efficient and incredibly stable. We are VERY happy customers.

Cons
The only two con's (I have) are that: 1) there's not a "No Sale" report for people opening the cash register without a sale. 2) If you are a bar where more than one person touches a tab, the employee performance analytics are useless as it assigns the sale to the person who opened/closed the tab (not the person adding items to it).

Response from Upserve

Hi Lydia, thanks for taking the time to review Breadcrumb; We're glad you're enjoying the software, analytics, and stability of the platform! We're always trying to improve, so I appreciate your suggestions & I've passed them along to our product team. Thank you again!

Anonymous

Great direction and product, needs usability tweaks

Reviewed 2018-10-11

Overall it has been a positive as far as usage, reliability, and training. Support has been mostly helpful but even Tier 2 doesn't seem to be well-versed to solve the more complex problems. When it becomes more complex, the ticket often just remains unsolved and gets closed out.

Pros
Very easy to setup. Very easy to train. Figuring out solutions without contacting support is straightforward

Cons
Still needs web enabled tweaks to reduce repetitive entry on setup Inability to set printers based on role (not just iPad location) means lots of thrown away tickets Doesn't always find new IP based on mac address, sometimes has to be manually set Tech support not well-versed in the Meraki setup so not very good at troubleshooting (Even Tier 2 clearly doesn't know how to solve lots of problems) Software updates are tenuous and can require a lot more interaction than I prefer. Often having to turn off the other tablets or rebooting tablets multiple times before it will update.

Response from Upserve

Thanks for your great review! We are happy to hear that Breadcrumb has been super easy for you business to train on. Thanks again for the great review!

Andrew Ragin

Very intuitive design. Very helpful when managing multiple establishments.

Reviewed 2018-04-23

Pros
Having trained lots of people to use it, everyone seems really impressed with how 'easy' it is to learn. I like that there are several ways to do almost anything. Also, on the admin side, the reporting is fantastic. I love being able to edit items and check reports for multiple locations in real time, from anywhere.

Cons
I only have a few real complaints. First it would be very helpful to transfer tabs in bulk. In some locations there is a changeover that occurs everynight which is common going to back to old 'banger' days, where bartenders each had their own drawer. Breadcrumb does not make this very easy as each tab has to be transferred one at a time and approved one at a time, small issue, but a bit of nuisance. Also, it would be helpful if modifiers could have more options, not just up a dollar or two / down a dollar or two, but include multipliers.

Desta Klein

Great idea - but they cannot support

Reviewed 2017-04-08
Review Source: Software Advice

I have been trying for weeks to get breadcrumb to do anything about compensating us for our monetary losses, the hours invested in all of this, and not much has been done. The system is not that expensive overall, so I guess you get what you pay for. They are simply not ready for primetime.

Pros
This is actually a great product, with the platform that is more expensive than any other that I've seen without costing $ and being hardware focused.

Cons
We took on this product in October 2016, and it has gotten progressively worse since then. We trained and showed everyone how to have a system work, and now we are shopping for other options, as this system regularly fails in the middle of service creating mass chaos for all of my staff who have to deal with crash kits and do their best to continue service. The system has offered a serious hit to our staff morale.