PHP Point of Sale Logo

PHP Point of Sale

Retail POS system that manages multiple store locations

PHP Point of Sale Reviews - Page 2

KN

Ken N.

The Unicorn of POS'es

I'm an active PHPPointofSale user for 3+ years now and I can say with confidence that this by far is one of the best POS systems I've used.  I waited this long to write a review to ensure that PHPPointofSale live up to my expectation, and it does!  I've implemented it in all 3 of my businesses with 3 different segments and use cases.  Prior to discovering PHPPointofSale, I was using Heartland and Square. ...

Pros

*  Can be self-hosted using your own web hosting provider or locally (off-cloud), and pay a one-time fee if no update is required.  They have a cloud-hosted version for a slightly higher price but you'll save on the web hosting fee.* 1 license is all that is required per location even if you have 50 computers running POS.* Total control (Advance User) - Aside from making batch changes by importing...

Cons

* Offline mode could use some improvements.  Users cannot look up items without barcodes nor credit cards can be saved for processing when back online.* Customer-facing display could be better integrated instead of relying on a separate tablet.* Cash drawers can't be opened without wasting a bit of receipt paper.  Cash transactions required manual clicking to open.* Closing register report could be improved with more concise details.

Thank you so much!

BM

Bob M.

Retail, 1-10 employees

A lot of value for the price

We used a fairly old, desktop-based POS for years. When web-based POS's started coming out, it seemed that they offered some significant advantages - though our first try with one (Hike POS) was an utter failure, based on what was promised with it. PHP POS worked great right from the start. The features they promoted all worked great - in fact, the biggest challenge was in determining how to utilize...

Pros

There are an incredible number of ways to customize the software, and the range of capabilities is equal to POS software that's far more expensive. On top of that, there's support that surpasses pretty much any other software I've ever used.

Cons

I'd kind of like to see certain reports that aren't readily available, but that's an awfully minor issue.

Marenyane M.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

The best software to manage inventory in your business

I had a phenomenal experience using PHP point of sale. It is easy to calculate how much turnover the available stock is going to make. I am able to plan well how much I am going to save from that turnover and how much is going to purchase more stock. Despite that, I like the fact that during busy hours, it is easy to serve the customers because I don't have to manually calculate how much the items...

Pros

I like the fact that I am able to manage my inventory easily with this software. I am able to know how much profit the available stock is going to generate It is easy for me to see my employees are cheating me. The cashed money has to correspond with the sales made per day. What I like most is the fact that I don't have to calculate how much change I will have to give back to the customer, it calculates it automatically as I am selecting the items bought.

Cons

There is nothing I would disregard about this software. But you will find that we hire unskilled labor or illiterate people, so it becomes a challenge when you have to train such a person to use the system.

Thanks so much!

MS

Matthew S.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Very flexible and easy to extend

Overall, we are extremely happy with PHP Point Of Sale. We've invested a lot of time in customizing it for our specific needs. I don't think we would've been able to integrate it so tightly with our other systems if we had gone with another POS system. It has also been extremely reliable.

Pros

The built-in API and the ability to extend the system with your own PHP code are the features that set this apart from other POS systems. We have modified our system extensively, which would not have been possible with other software. Technical support was outstanding, even when we were adding completely new features. The developer was very open with sharing information and tips. Probably the best technical support I have ever received with a software package. Also, the ability to host the software on our own on-premises server was important.

Cons

We found some of the features to be a little confusing and unintuitive, but once you understand how they work it all makes perfect sense. Like anything, there is a learning curve.

CC

Carlos C.

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

PHP point of Sale review in Dermatology Practice with multiple locations.

The customer service response is impeccable. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is a "straight shooter" and replies to all my techy questions and needs promptly. Even though in some instances there is no optimal resolution he always has a reply and suggestion.

Pros

Cloud platform, so as long as you have an internet connection you are good to go. The price is the lowest I've seen, you pay a yearly subscription per store/location not per user.

Cons

As mentioned before I would like to see more versatility with the sales reports. Interactive drop down reposts with customizable columns with options to export to PDF, csv, xls, HTML, XML.

BS

Ben S.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Robust, intuitive, and cheap for the small business!

I came across phpPOS while researching different POS systems when we were first opening. Suggested by a user on /r/smallbusiness, we were seeking a POS option that allowed us to utilize categorized products for our own stock, consignment based sales, and reporting features. Another caveat we held was that the POS was within our "limited" budget at the time -- phpPOS fit all of those needs, and more. We...

Pros

- detailed inventory options with categorization - ability to separate consignment sales and suppliers - product / service separation - good reporting options - can customize with knowledge of php - extremely affordable - stand-alone product -- service outages don't affect your sales! - item-grid compatible with touch-screen (we have too many items, so don't utilize this feature -- but it's there!)

Cons

Very little cons. Never had any major issues, nor had to resort to customer support. The POS is intuitive enough to figure out on its own. Gift cards can be a little confusing at first.

EA

Eduardo A.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

We loved it until we developed our own

Great. We loved the easy to use, easy to deploy and syncing features. It syncs to your woocommerce store.

Pros

It is easy to use. It is easy to understand for people who are not used to POS systems. We were able to train new employees on how to use it very quickly. The fact that you can connect several stores online was great.

Cons

Out of nowhere the team behind it decided to make it close source and forcing you to switch to their online SAS option. That didn't work well for us since we have poor internet connection in some of our stores. Therefore we had to develop our own software. The team behind PHP point of sale have since retracted their efforts to make it close source, but it was too late for us; we moved on.

Hi, Thank you for the review. You are correct that we removed download version and brought it back. We still recommend cloud for most people now that we have offline mode. We are sorry to lose you as a customer but we still have download and offline mode

BM

Brian M.

Telecommunications, 1-10 employees

PHP Point of Sale

Overall am satisfied.

Pros

The software is friendly, simple and easy user interface but includes most of the important aspects of managing a retail store such as managing employees, inventory control, reports, barcode and more.

Cons

Bacodes can be hard to set-up depending on the size of the lables and the label printer you're using.

JB

Joshua B.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

A+ POS solution!

We love it. The price is affordable, and it does everything we need it to do. If there is a feature we need added or tweaked, it is typically accomodated quickly with customer service that is prompt and curteous.

Pros

Everything from installation to features to customer support is exemplary

Cons

Can't say there are any we run into on any frequent basis

Stanley M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Best Online POS (Point Of Sale System)

The best implementation of a POS system that make retail business easy to manage and profit from.

Pros

Inventory control and transfer is a wow factor and its implementation makes PHP Point of Sale adaptable for use in Pharmacy Retail and Wholesale.

Cons

lack of inbuilt deep invoice and receipt customization.

Thank you so much!

EA

Eko A.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Love PHP POS

Love the ease of use and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is always responsive anytime I have a question. Highly recommend

Pros

I have 2 locations and need a POS I could use with different currencies. It’s the best investment I made for my business.

Cons

I am appointment based so I would love to be able to use the calendar feature. Because it doesn’t currently connect to any external calendars, we have to copy and paste our customer information into the system.

TS

Twila S.

Inexpensive and User Friendly

Before switching to PHP, most of my experience with POS systems were on the bookstore side, meaning that managing detailed inventory is a high priority, and I was skeptical that I could find a less expensive system that would allow me to do what I needed to for my diverse inventory. The system was easy to install, setup and learn. The customer service has been outstanding. They take the time to work through any issue(s) whether through instruction or logging on to help directly. PHP is a perfect fit for me and my store!

Pros

This is one of the most user friendly POS systems that I've used. There is a common sense approach with the applications, which makes it easy to train employees and quickly learn any updates that are added.

Cons

Sometimes the set up for credit cards and other applications can be overwhelming; however, as soon as I reached out to customer service, I had help and was able to accomplish whatever task or tasks that needed fixed/completed.

WL

Wilfred L.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Great piece of POS software!

We have used this software since Day 1 of our company InfinityMeals. I'm a PHP techy but my associates who are not so IT inclined were also able to use it easily. We use it in our restaurant to punch in orders and track our inventory and generates sales reports for analysis of products purchased. We wish there are extra features like further customization to the receipt to reduce the length...

Pros

Simplicity Ease of use Great User Interface Straight forward functionality

Cons

Rapid updates. :)

MK

Melati K.

Retail, 1-10 employees

All over a great, easy to use, no fuss POS

Pros

Easy to use. Hardly ever any technical problems occurred during my 4 years of using it.

Cons

If you want to use credit card machine that will automatically “connected” to the POS (the final amount charged to buyer will automatically appear on CC machine) you can only choose from a few providers.

JR

John R.

Retail,

Fantastic software for my firing range!

We went through several demos before deciding on PHP Point of Sale. It's ease of use, and the ability for us to locally host it, and price made it the obvious choice. We've had over 16,000 transactions, 6,500 unique customers in the past year, and haven't had a single problem. Even the upgrade was seamless. The few times we've had questions, they offered exceptional customer service and has...

Pros

Easy to install, very stable, and fast (running on dedicated Windows 7 Pro atom machine with SSD)

Cons

Would like to be able to add custom fields to customer database. I know it can be done with a PHP developer, but would be nice if that was an option natively.

CL

Chris L.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Best value for the money... best value even if they charged more

This system is amazing. The value you get for the cost of this system is hands down the best out there. You can spend 5 to 10K dollars and get suckered into NEC products that don't perform half as well. PHP POS provides so much above and beyond in the realm of customer service that any of the other people would charge you out the ear for. We have been using PHP POS as a hosted solution for a year and what little support we have needed has been immediately delivered. I know I am costing myself money here but they need to raise the price of this product. They are selling too cheaply.

Pros

This product does everything a small brick and mortar store needs. It handles them well. I run this system as my own hosted code so the team has created software changes just for me. You will never get that kind of customer service from another vendor.

Cons

There is very little about this system that is a negative. You are narrowly focused to a few Credit Card suppliers but that has expanded and I suspect will continue to do so. It does run in a browser so you do need to be sure to follow specific instructions and use firefox.. which is no big deal. I still use chrome and IE when I don't need the receipt printers.

LM

Liz M.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Excellent features for the price!

Ability to access the program from any location and device! Customisation, ease of use - everyone can use it even our technologically challenged staff!

Pros

So easy to use, large amount of features including the ability to add photos, edit items in bulk, price scaling/ tiers, control duration of sale prices, emailing a copy of the invoice to customers, CLOUD based - this feature has been my life saver! Ease of introducing a scanner, till and label printer to the program, excellent customer service who actually take your recommendations seriously and even implement bona fide requests that would serve everyone! Ability to customise. The price is what drew me initially and has kept me using it!

Cons

If somehow it could be integrated into any website to save me doubling up on managing inventory. Other than that at this stage your team has done a fantastic job! I've recommended this to all business owners I meet!

JM

Jose M.

Retail, 1-10 employees

The best POS software that you’ll ever need

Professional simplicity

Pros

Super simple setup. I first came across this software when it first started long time ago. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has been very active with its support. Quick and real fast answers to any questions you may have

Cons

There is nothing really I don’t like about this software.

ML

Mitz L.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Hard to beat PHPPOS

Trying to convey away from the traditional Point of Sale system, we decided to test PHP Point of Sale. We were very impressed from the moment we started using it. Compared to the many different software we tried, we found PHP POS to have the best user interface. It is perfectly laid out, making the workflow very easy to understand. We also found PHP POS to be the fastest most responsive out there....

Pros

Everything. It is very well built software.

Cons

It does not have the ability to add GL accounts

MC

Mari C.

Excellent Customer Service

We use the software for costing and inventory management since we are an online shop. While changing hardware, I couldn't figure out how to bring over the data. The customer service I received was unbelievably great going above and beyond. Using the software is fairly straight forward. There are a couple of annoying bugs but the next version promises to fix that. Comparing the value for the price, this is a good buy. I recommend this product.

Pros

Ease of use. Customer service.

Cons

Days to expiry: Having to manually count the number of days leading to the expiry date. I would like to be able to enter the expiry date stated on products and have the software calculate the number of days so that we can run a report listing products expiring in x days. Kits: When creating a kit, the individual product cost appear, but afterwards when looking at a kit, the product costs are hidden making modifying a kit time consuming.

JC

Jesse C.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Good POS but needs to grow with new fuctionality

PHP Point of Sale is a good web based and mobile software that matches well for small and midsize businesses. While the interface is clean and intuitive, the integration features to any major eCommerce platform is non-existent. We use PHP Point of Sale for our brick-n-mortar store, but have to maintain separate inventory from our online ecommerce solution which requires extra time and manpower. I recommend you throughly test the PHP Point of Sale application and see if it meets our needs. I'd like to see more features and functionality deployed and tested at a faster rate. The updates are far and few between. I would recommend to small businesses. When you're at the point of 1000+ skus and you're business grows, you made need to re-evaluate your business needs.

Pros

Interface (Clean and Concise) Great IPad App / Mobile Useful Features

Cons

No integration with BigCommerce, Shopify, Magento, or Woocommerce at this time Product Import (SKU's) need to be enhanced

CB

Charlie B.

Retail, self-employed

Great tool for the price. It streamlined the worst bottleneck at the shop.

It streamlined customer checkout by allowing us to open a second (or third) register during busy times. For event days, we grabbed a deposit bag and a smartphone or tablet to take care of registration while the main desk remained our standard cash register setup. It saved a lot of time and confusion.

Pros

PHP POS is easy to use once the initial setup is done. I could train someone to use it in a matter of minutes, as opposed to a couple of hours on our old system. It also allows easy lookup of products and sales receipts as well as offering a variety of report formats.

Cons

The initial setup on our server took a little bit of effort. Also the cash-in-till tracking wasn't working for all registered users. (That could have been a configuration error on my part, though. . . still haven't figured it out.)

EN

Eugene N.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

A Happy user of 4 Years of using PHP Point Of Sales

Start using PHP Point Of Sales in my on computer repairs business, been a happy user for most of the time due to the software functionality, stable and easy to use. Also it is on the affordable pricing; as a small business , software pricing is very important. Along these year had been introduce PHPPOS to client, they purchased it and we deploy it for them. Can see PHPPOS is growing into a mature software, our repair business had been grow together with different version of PHPPOS although we are not actively in the forum.

Pros

simple, easy; straight to the point. that is the beauty for a small business usage no fancy not necessary function

Cons

no function of click/drag an item into to create a bundle and just display a final price instead of pre-create a package first then start sell it. Quotation/ Estimate never show as Quotation, it still show as Sales Receipt

OM

Odhran M.

Retail, 1-10 employees

The best POS ever made, fact!

Point of Sale, Online Store, Stock Control, Profit/Loss Reports, Best Sellers, Loyalty Scheme, etc

Pros

We've been a customer for over 5 years and we are 100% satisfied with this POS solution. I can't recommend it enough. Every feature you could possibly want is included and if it isn't there's a high likelihood that [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] will implement it in a future update. The fact that it also syncs to WooCommerce is a life saver, cutting our workload in half.

Cons

No cons, faultless software, reports, stock control, loyalty scheme, it has everything neeed.

SW

Sophia W.

Absolutely Amazing Point of Sale

Phenomenal; and that's not hyperbolic at all. We are in the process of opening two more retail businesses and know for certain we will use PHP Point of Sale for each of them when we are ready to open. By far the easiest part of setting up a retail shop is dealing with the folks at PHP Point of Sale. Thank you for all the help getting started!

Pros

Support: Their support team is incredible! They go above and beyond what we expected. Ease of Setup: Our systems administrator said she loved getting this up and running and that getting set up with WooCommerce was simple. Ease of Use: Straight forward and well documented when you run into any snags. We had our Point of Sale up and running well before the slow credit card processing companies even thought about helping us.

Cons

Bitcoin Support: Quite literally the only negative I can think of is not being able to accept bitcoin payments (although, you can still tag them as cash sales if you prefer). It would just be nice to have that integrated natively, but it's really not a deal breaker.