Square for Retail Logo

Square for Retail

POS & inventory management for retail businesses

Square for Retail Reviews - Page 5

JB

Jordan B.

Fine Art, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

An excellent backup and remote POS

I recommend square to anyone who travels and does pop-up booths. It is a great inventory tracker and convenient POS/ Backup POS.

Pros

Square is incredibly easy to use, and has a wonderful built in inventory tracking system! It is wonderful to have while traveling and doing pop-up booths, since it can keep the inventory of what was brought on the trip, and what has sold. It also has a very clear invoicing system for post processing of data, and is very reliable even with spotty data. It also is convenient for when phone or internet goes out, and customers are in the main store, since it supplies a simple backup for payment processing. There is also no monthly fee, so having it a drawer and only using a few times once a year is no problem either!

Cons

It sometimes needs to be disconnected and reconnected. However, this is only a minor problem.

KM

Kaycee M.

Not good for me

Its nice to have, but other companies have POS for om hand sales as well. Their prices are a bit too much for a small business such as myself.

Pros

Its easy to use and you can get a POS for on hand sales.

Cons

Their fees are insane, and they will close accounts without warning.

RC

Rachael C.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Square retail review

Pros

We love this for our small business. We have replaced our cash register. Our young employees can run it and manage. It’s portable for when we do outside sales.

Cons

Really nothing. Had some minor issues...but it was more user error.

JP

Joseph P.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Credit Card Processing

I used Square for my private practice to process credit/debit card transactions. For a small business it will work and cost a lot less than any merchant service I have encountered. The final % for the usage as a small business, is just a pinch too high though. I would recommend this software if you want simple, quick, and reliable service to process debit/credit cards. Be aware of the percentage that will be taken out though.

Pros

Depending on how you use Square it can have numerous pros/positives. A. Numerous tools to help track finances B. Excellent at record keeping of transactions C. User interface is fairly simple D. Convenient due to that one can just log into Square and do a credit card transaction

Cons

The cons again depend on how you use the software. A. Amount of % taken out of the transaction as a fee for using their service is a tad high B. User interface can appear overwhelming with the amount of tools at your disposal but this depends on what your company needs.

Amber D.

Apparel & Fashion, self-employed

So convenient to take card payments anywhere, anytime

Pros

It's great that I am able to take card payments for my services by just plugging this little device into my phone. It has saved me so many times from having someone not be able to pay me since they don't have sufficient cash on hand. Also, I love that it stores the users information, so once you have made a payment on square it will always send your emailed receipt automatically without having to reenter all of your info.

Cons

No complaints! It's very handy to have. I guess I would prefer less commission to be taken, but I guess thats always a given!

Patrick S.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Square for Retail Rocks!!!

Square for Retail is the best thing made for small businesses and is highly recommended

Pros

The greatest thing about this software was the ease of access. The setup for the invoicing was so simple, and became the leading go-to for all of my business affairs

Cons

nothing ata ll can be thought of. The ease and effectiveness is great and cannot be trifled with.

CS

Candace S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Great for small business

The Square has been an easy to use app. There is no start-up cost but there is a 3% fee for each charge. This is very normal when it comes to credit card running fee's. I chose the square over a credit card reader because there was no start-up cost. It is also very small and portable, it can fit in my pocket so I can take it anywhere I go. The second someone needs to run their card I just snap in the square, type in the total, and swipe the card. It offers them digital receipts through email or text. The square also sends me daily and weekly reports. It breaks down my totals for each day and shows graphs on my growth. I highly recommend this product.

Pros

This app is quick and easy to use. Took a total of 3 minutes to download it and get it linked up to my account. When I have a customer ready to pay, I just snap in the square, type in the total to charge, and swipe the card. SO EASY!

Cons

Currently I have no complaints about the Square. I have been using the Square for about 2 months with no issues.

TW

Teddy W.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Square for Retail- Review

Mobility we use it in some really out of the way places

Pros

ease of use,able to train staff quickly,and it is very mobile will work almost anywhere

Cons

Can still use without internet but a bit tricky to use in offline mode

Andrew A.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Great start for business

Helped increase profitability by allowing me to accept credit cards.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to setup and connect to my bank account. The invoices made it easier to collect and the mobile app worked very smoothly.

Cons

At the time I was using they charged for everything. Payroll, scheduling, and any extra site features. The breakdowns on the back end weren't as thorough as quickbooks either so I switched.

JB

James B.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Square Saved Us Big Time

Very positive!

Pros

Easy easy easy easy to use! So simple and straight forward any associate can use it. Pricing was great from the get go! Big fans!

Cons

Wish the reporting was a little more expansive.

Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 1-10 employees

A MUST For Any Small Business

Great experience overall, perfect for just about any small business.

Pros

Simple, easy to use, and affordable credit card processing! Cheaper than any alternative, and we can take almost any form of payment now.

Cons

If you don't use the card reader for the transaction, the fee is higher, but that is to be expected. Just use the free card reader, or upgrade to a nicer one.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Get Square or Be Square

Pros

This is the gold standard for opening your new retail location. It makes checkouts effortless, suggests tip percentages, etc. It allows customers to pay in the most convenient of ways and it is very easy to use on both ends.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of. I don't see much use from larger firms, but for start-ups it is a no brainer.

JW

Jared W.

Government Administration, 11-50 employees

Small Business Godsend

This has really expanded my business opportunities by allowing me to process credit cards. Highly recommend.

Pros

Square for Retail allows my small side hustle to take credit card payments, just like a major retailer. This has opened many avenues for income, as cash is something some people just never have. The program allows easy invoicing, taking payments with a card swipe or online, and sends you an email whenever you recieve funds.

Cons

I wish the chip reader was included free of charge like the card swiper was.

LB

Laurel B.

Awsome!

Pros

The ability to start a new retail business while keeping costs down!

Cons

I loved the portability of the card reader, however, it is a looser fit so when trying to scan cards it tends to move, causing us to have to keep re-swiping.

pk

paul k.

Retail, 1-10 employees

very easy program and very useful

it was easy to setup and easy to use

Pros

this program is a Godsend. Very easy to setup and use...customer service is awesome

Cons

There is nothing negative I can say about this program. Works perfectly

OT

Olga T.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Good choice if you have no other choice

We are able to process payments with credit cards in the mobile business.

Pros

We provide the mobile auto glass service not only to big dealerships and body shops but to regular customers as well, we have to have an app to process an app/equipment that will allow them to pay with credit cards. And Square does this job well most of the time.

Cons

First of all -the fees, even though they are reasonable. but nobody likes fees, right. Second, there's almost always an issue with syncing Square with QuickBooks, the app needs some additional work to be done.

AO

Aaron O.

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

Great for taking credit card payments!

Square has been a great partner for taking our business to the next level being able to taking credit cards easily. Now with covid and working remote I started invoicing clients which has transformed the way we use the software. Now I send emails and people pay with a link, amazing!

Pros

Square is easy to use and you get money fast. Lots of options for taking payments. Good desktop dashboard for all your transactions and any open items. Mobile app too.

Cons

I can't say I've had any major issues other than needing to reboot or download an update here or there. Pretty quick and easy to set everything and everyone up.

MM

Michael M.

Retail, 51-200 employees

Great POS software and easy to use!

Pros

I love that they have their own hardware or you can use standalone. the software can easily customized and tailored to your specific needs, simple easy to use screen makes transactions simple.

Cons

Reporting can be limited at times but easily overlooked due to the great build quality of the software. if you need very detailed reports then this may not suit your needs.

MP

MANUEL P.

Civil Engineering, 1-10 employees

very useful and free

if actually referred them other then venmo best payment service

Pros

helps me get customers payment right then and there cant beat that

Cons

need an extra debit card just in order to withdraw your money

EU

Ela U.

Glass, Ceramics & Concrete, self-employed

great support for small business

Pros

it is easy to use on the go, does not requite complicated hardware

Cons

the app works only on ios and not available on android

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Great way to Take Cards in your Retail Business

Great setup - set up my own and helped a friend - went seamlessly.

Pros

Easy to use - easy setup - use is for beginners up to experts. Take cards easily! Price is fair (per use).

Cons

Nothing I can think of - all worked well!

Kathleen M.

Publishing, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

Business owners best friend

I’ve used it for two seasons and it keeps an accurate record of all credit card transactions. Great device and program.

Pros

During the holidays I sell crafts and paintings, and I attend many shows and events where I need a portable cardscanning device. Square is portable, small, plugs into my smart phone or tablet, calculates tax, keeps email contact information and Emails receipts for paperless transactions. It is indispensable to me at these sales venues.

Cons

I can’t complain because the fees are very minimal and they gave me a generous free trial, but who wouldn’t want to keep all of their money?

RG

ROBERT G.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Overall I like Squate

Pros

How easy it is to use. The fees are the lower than everyone else. Emails after every transaction.

Cons

Sometimes it's slow on finishing up transactions.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Brand recognition, if nothing else.

Pros

Provides an easy solution that has many flexible point of sale options. Employees can easily login and conduct sales or clock in/out on the unit itself. Easy access to manage users and roles for permissions and other actions. Plenty of options for customer oriented actions such as customizable receipts and invoices. Very customizable and suitable for a wide variety of business types.

Cons

Customer service, while good, is sub-par compared to other industry offerings. Often, it takes longer support times and generic responses to get something settled. There's been a few times where I had to find a solution online myself because the official support took too long to get back to me. The hardware occasionally had problems such as not connecting to the main system or phone, or not accepting a charge for mobile devices.

CT

Crisa T.

Retail, self-employed

We solely use square for retail

Pros

We love square there’s a reason so many small businesses are using square! It’s amazing and costs less than most POS.

Cons

I wish it would deposit funds faster 😂