Dataedo Logo

Dataedo

Data catalog and database documentation tool

Dataedo Reviews

Mark W.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Great documentation tool, produces excellent reports and functional (searchable) documentation

Great overall experience, new features are available frequently (~monthly) and bugs are corrected quickly. Very personal service when help is needed.

Pros

We mostly use the ability to publish the software to an internal website so that the entire team can read and review the data models (>10) we use in our applications. Having a searchable website with the documentation is much more useful than 5000+ pages of PDF. Allowing the use of some markup text in the descriptions does present a nice website with minimal effort.

Cons

Generation of the website with over 8,000 objects takes a few hours. We typically only publish changes 1-2/week.

RW

Rick W.

Information Services, 51-200 employees

A trusted tool in my toolbelt

Being able to automate documentation using metadata has given the tooling process a level of sophistication I have not seen for quite a while. I can keep the data dictionary up to date easily and make it accessible to all of the end-users. I am very happy with this tool.

Pros

Dataedo was the choice for me after evaluating a number of tools on the market, looking primarily for a macOS solution. I still went forward with Dataedo, even though it was only Windows (it uses a wine implementation for macOS support). It does a great job of database connectivity and reverse-engineering the databases. It produces nice models and even nicer documentation. It has command-line options that allow me to support most of my workflow automatically. And, it stores its data in an MSSQL database that allows me to make model updates in bulk. I love the ability to really test-drive the software with zero-commitment. My primary use case is database/model documentation and it excels at this.

Cons

* No customizable Excel templates * No real support for macOS - only Windows * E/R Diagram auto-layout is not helpful with more than a handful of tables * Some things require tedious entry/input * I wish it had better support for Module Management * Being able to version releases and interaction with git/github would be helpful

SE

Samuel E.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Awesome product

Pros

Business Glossary ,Business Domain and Data domain.

Cons

It will be better if there can be more automation in place of manual task.

LH

Lenka H.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

Dataedo review

Dataedo has been a great addition to my team's toolkit. It has been invaluable for new team members and it also makes engagement with project partners much easier.

Pros

When we purchased Dataedo few years back, features were more limited in comparison to what they are now. But there were a few gems that fit our needs really well. e.g. documenting relations that aren't enforced in the DB. Dataedo was easy to implement and intuitive to use. The support from the Dataedo team has always been very prompt and helpful. The product keeps evolving and the newest version has some very cool features e.g business glossary.

Cons

There is nothing I can think of I must say.

GS

Grant S.

Real Estate, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Very Useful and Unique Product

Pros

As a developer, documentation can be tedious. We were previously using a MS Word Template to do tech designs, requiring a lot of manual entry to document database objects, columns and the database portion of the integrations. This has replaced that. It is invaluable from a database documentation perspective and also being able to combine it with application documentation of a fuller technical process. Just check the database objects related to the application and your DB portion of documentation is covered.

Cons

I don't really have any complaints. I am looking forward to some of the enhanced web sharing options which are in development.

SK

Satish K.

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Very Good For Documenting Metrics

Pros

For the first time we are able to democratize logic and computation for each key metric in our company using this tool. The best part is we do everything through code. So whenever code changes documentation also change. This makes sure that documentation is always up t date. No separate manual effort needed to make sure documentation is up to date

Cons

1. They have to move to web based tool soon. We are still installing the product on our machine. 2. They need to improve on giving customizable format for documentation

KM

Kelli M.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Best Flexible Data Dictionary Tool Available

The free tutorials/webinars are extremely helpful. I deployed the software for our office and am responsible for maintaining the documentation and this tool makes my life so much easier.

Pros

This is one of the most intuitive software I have ever used and was easy to setup and implement quickly. The search features, publishing HTML and documentation tools are amazingly helpful.

Cons

I have only had a positive experience with this software. I wish I had found it sooner.

CD

Caleb D.

Mining & Metals, 10,001+ employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Extensive Documentation at the Click of a Button

My coworkers are now able to figure out what tables to use without having to ask me on a daily basis. Instead, they can go straight to the web page of our documentation.

Pros

The dynamic feature of its documentation. I can click a button and connect it to my server, and it automatically generates the documentation and relations between all of the tables.

Cons

Since our database is pretty large, it takes some time to generate a report, but this is only when generating the report itself. Once it's generated, it's extremely fast to find what you need.

CT

Candace T.

Government Administration, 5,001-10,000 employees

DBA Review on Dataedo

lack of documentation and DB DFD's that are needed to solve complex issues

Pros

Perfect solution for documenting complex back-end DB's projects. facilitates filling holes in database documentation that does not exist in Microsoft SQL Server. Dataedo sits in its own database on server. dependencies' trees solved. love the ability to add foreign keys for future implementation.

Cons

area of improvement would be adding architecture printing.

JR

Jonathan R.

Aviation & Aerospace, 201-500 employees

Dataedo Works Well For Us

We now have a central repository for DevOps and Database Developers to refer to when designing software or ad-hoc queries. It's a major advantage for us.

Pros

We mainly used Dataedo for ERD generation ad-hoc. But when we saw where we could document our databases for our DevOps team, we readily implemented more features.

Cons

At times, it feels a little slow to respond when updating/saving but that may be due to VPN access into our servers.

AC

Adolfo Cosme V.

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

Excelente herramienta para un buen gobierno de tus datos!!

Pros

Para las bases de datos postgress, sql server, permite documentar de manera automatica, trayendo todas las tablas, atributos relaciones

Cons

En mi caso le falta fortalecer la captura de datos para db2 for i

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

UB

Umang B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Used other for less than 6 months

Needed for documenting your database for different audiences

I love it - it's my go to when we create new schemas

Pros

There's definitely a UI element that is easy for us to use. I didn't have to go too in-depth with the tutorials to figure out what exists and what does not, it was pretty close to plug and play if you've used databases before. You can write the content for people who are non-developers as well, and it's pretty easy to follow.

Cons

Nothing that's too crazy, it would be good to see where certain tables were applied in the ERDs. I wished column descriptions were available through the ERD as well so there would not be too much back and forth - but that's being nit-picky.