All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

HMA

Virtual private network software for securing online traffic

HMA Reviews

Pros

Servers are globally diversified which is great; purpose-based server selection which is great; friendly user-interface; good speed.

Ryan K.

Read the full review
This was easy to use and seemed to do a good job. They have worldwide servers and the speeds seemed good and steady.

Andrew M.

Read the full review
It does it's job well, and offers a few nice features like being able to pick a very wide variety of locations and access it easily from the menu bar at the top of the computer.

Jeramy C.

Read the full review
So when you have a pop-up it is disturbing for your work, but it also takes a bit of power from your system, not a whole lot.

Rune E.

4.3

The name says it all

Overall, I love this tool. In looking for a VPN, I could not help but note the name... it is pretty much what I want to use a VPN for when I am working remotely. I travel a lot and work online, so I need to be able to access company networks and want to ensure that I am safe personally and professionally. HMA has been easy to use and the one issue I had was resolved in short order with an email. I have been a user for about a year and have another year on my subscription, and I anticipate renewing when my subscription is up.

Pros

Very easy to use and has apps and software fo all platforms. Setup takes just a couple of minutes, and the tool will turn on when needed and remain off when not. HMA has been very stable and reliable, and I enjoy being able to work from any site remotely without the worry of wondering how is accessing my system or seeing my work projects.

Cons

The one challenge that I have is in regard to the iPhone and Mac software; may be a challenge on all. When accessing the internet in some public locations, such as Starbucks, you must first select the network then agree to the terms to use the wifi. The challenge is that HMA detects and turns on, and then the connection fails a causes some issues in connecting. I have learned that when I access one of these networks, I have to dosconnect from HMA, agree to the terms, then turn on HMA. The same issue occurs on my iPhone, and may happen more often as I access dofferent networks throughout the week. While I have come to know how to resolve, it can be annoying sometimes with delays in access and having to occasionally restart.

Hello, Thank you for your input. Please allow us to explain that the issue with public wi-fis, such as cafes, Universities, Libereies, etc.. is not on the VPN end (not just our VPN but in general) . The thing is that their SYS admins block VPN technology, and there is no much that could be done on our end. If you would like to know more about this, please contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9 we'll be glad to answer your queries.

Easy to use but not flawless

The application was used for QA testing of various applications, mimicking the real location and testing the functionality of VPN detection. As a paid tool, compared to other similar applications and free alternatives it is still an affordable option for professional or hobby QA testers even with low budget.

Pros

Easy to use and select target GEO with the dedicated app. Minimal setup is required, everything is self-explanatory

Cons

Often refused to connect or just jumped to another server without notification. Found a little bit expensive compared to the competition. Detected that real IP address leaks in certain situations.

Fast & Good VPN but can also be deceptional

Pros

HMA has plenty of IPs available for almost all countries in the World and keeps no logs of any of them, it is totally secure and very fast. It has all the feature a standard VPN should have including kill switch, Cross-Platform Support, one-click connect and disconnect, and so on.

Cons

Only a few locations in the USA, Canada, and the UK work perfectly, selecting a city in the USA might end up with you having the IP of Czech Republic and this is the same with some of the P2P enabled locations. It is best to verify the IP and Country for each location so as to be sure.

Thank you for your feedback. When it comes to locations, we tend to have at least one server in every state. We're known to have more server locations than any other provider. If you need some specific location, please wire here https://goo.gl/JUYit9, we'll pass your feedback to our networking team. As for Czech Republic issue, it has been mostly resolved by now.

Hidemyass review

Pros

Privacy; this is a bit tricky as from my perspective, this part of the vpn is both an advantage and a disadvantage depending on where you are coming from. The intetnet privacy collects some sort of information that will be detailed in the cons but the good thing is, they never track your usage and the websites you visit and that is some sort of privacy you paid for. Speed; depending on whether ypu...

Cons

Pricing; in all sincerity, to some class of people, the pricing of their services is fair but to others, it's not so fair as there are other alternatives with cheaper subscription fee, the company will do better for themselves to review the pricings. Extended options; there's little to no provision for power users who use vpns for more thsn bypassing restrictions on multimedia websites, some of us...

Hello, Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We have shared it with our developers. We will use your suggestion to improve our service.

One of the best VPN I have used

HideMyAss is good and for business wise it will be one of the best because of multiple servers and one license can be used on multiple computers and mobile gadget.

Pros

HideMyAss is one of the best VPN I have used and really efficient because of the several and multiple servers the have. They have over 10,000 servers and that gives me the choice to select any server location that I wish to use. It is equally cheap compared to other VPN services. I will recommend this VPN service to any person who is looking for a cheap VPN service with multiple location and their customer service is very fast and efficient and always respond to any inquiries.

Cons

HideMyAss is good but I discovered that some of their servers are not really good. It is either they are blacklisted or their DNS will be showing that of your country which you resides and that is not suppose to be so. Unless you contact their customer care before they will fix it. They should try and check on their servers before they give it out to the public for use.

Thank you for your comment, we're happy to know you are content with our service, your satisfaction is our top-most priority. When it comes to DNS issue that you describe, we'd be glad to help you with it, just contact us here please https://goo.gl/JUYit9 we'll do all we can to resolve the issue.

HideMyAss more like HideMyIP

Been using various VPN from time time, like other VPN, HideMyAss offers user protection surfing the Internet more safely and Privately. Compared to other paid or free VPN, HideMyAss is the most Interesting VPN in my opinion, from the name and logo this VPN caught my attention.

Pros

Various server location user can choose as they want, no need to configure anything, just install - login - use, for personal, I use it for gaming and so far HMA have decent stability and low latency even on heavy load. HMA also available on all platform, and 1 account can be used simultaneously on my PC and Android.

Cons

Has some "bad" server, server jump without any notification, sometimes connecting to the server taking ages and can a little bit pricy compared to another VPN with the same features

HMA is fast and secure

My overall experience with HMA has been good especially in the diversity of its VPN server network.

Pros

HMA is very fast and secure and I can say that HideMyAss is about the best VPN out there. It is cost effective compared to a lot of VPN software and services out there. It has servers in almost all the countries of the world and I find this very convenient for my work and its servers are fast. The fact that it has several server options for every country makes it even more attractive. The setup is also easy and seamless. You can use it on different types of devices too. It also has secure OPenVPN encryption and no ip leaks.

Cons

The Windows client interface may be a little confusing for new users especially in selecting servers. I hated that HMA does nt have IPv6 protection and support sometimes cannot answer more technical questions.

For good connection and anonymous surfing

I was able to bypass some country restrictions.

Pros

I purchased a subscription for 1 year and i've been enjoying it so far. I can connect up to 5 devices at once. I love this specially because they provide server in all states in USA. They have a fast live customer chat too.

Cons

I believe their fee is a bit high. I was able to purchase mine because i was given a promo code. Also, this VPN connects wronglt to another location sometimes. I may choose to connect to New York but HMA will give me CZECH REPUBLIC IP Address. They should work more on this.

Hello, Thank you for your rate. Please allow us to explain that the price is as it is because maintaining our number of servers, and other qualities require costs. When it comes to the Cz issue you describe, please feel free to contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9, we'd be glad to help you

Stay Hidden in Plain Sight!

HideMyAss allows me to anonymously surf the World Wide Web with the confidence of knowing that I am not being tracked and pursued by hackers or even advertisers looking to know my location.

Pros

You can surf the web with total anonymity and confidence that you're not be tracked and pursued with every click of the mouse.

Cons

During my use of HideMyAss I have found nothing to dislike about this product or that I believe needs improvement.

Popular but maybe not the best now

Pros

It is still quite fast. It unblocks even Netflix! There are many servers all over, so works well even when I'm travelling. I can use it on Mac as well as Windows computers, and the interface is easy! The choices of modes is also convenient.

Cons

It stores the IPs. Not reliable in China.

Thank you for your comment. Although China blocks VPN connections in general, it may be still possible to use HMA depending on your ISP provider and type of network you use. We encourage you to test our VPN as we offer 30 days money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose!

Don't Let'em Find You

I really enjoy all of the options you get with HMA. It saves you time and worry. I won't go back to regular internet surfing. HMA has spoiled me.

Pros

HMA is a terrific VPN. Its easy to use program allows you to be safe from prying eyes. This program allows you to be safe whether you are streaming television shows or completing a work assignment. You can access restricted sites as well as your favorite ones. You;ll never have to guess about online safety again.

Cons

The free use of this VPN will keep it very busy. It will slow tremendously. You will have to check the different countries you travel to. Their are many that don't allow VPN use.

Hi Melanie, Thank you for your great review. Keeping you safe and private online is our top priority, so it means a lot to us that we have spoiled you in that sense :) There are ofcourse some countries that have internet restrictions and this may of course affect the use of our VPN, but our customer support is always there to find a possible workaround. Feel free to get in touch anytime this restrictions affect your use of our service.

Good VPN Service

It is a relatively good product - been on the market for a number of years which adds credibility and trust. However since this didn't work 100% of the time I stopped using the service.

Pros

You're able to select from 280 locations in terms of IP to use. This gives enough flexibility and ability to access almost any website on the internet.

Cons

The service still doesn't work with all platforms online, so I wouldn't say this is the only service you need to watch "anything" online.

Thank you for your rate, we're glad that you are mostly happy with our service. When it comes to streaming, although VPN is a completely legitimate way to virtually change your IP address, many online services are trying to fight this workaround for their restrictions.

It does indeed hideyourass

Pros

There is a fairly rich selection of https VPNs ,which are normally quick .Works as advertised

Cons

There are cheaper options with a richer selection .

Thank you for your review. Regarding the price matter, we'd like to explain that certain quality requiters costs. We offer more servers than any other VPN, and maintaining them requires costs. We also offer a completely free multilingual customer support that loves helping to our clients.

Excellent VPN for the price

Pros

price, functionality, ease of use, user interface and customer service. Masks your internet signatures really well

Cons

auto renewal, there is free VPN's out there that save you money

Hello, Thank you for your review. It is a great compliment to us! Feel free to check out our newest version that has new features. Should you need any help, feel free to contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9 we'll be glad to assist you.

Worked brilliantly for me for a couple of years but struggled to keep up with blockers

Pros

HMA was very easy to set up and use and I used it happily for a number of years. Always found their support very responsive, patient and helpful. Used across devices successfully.

Cons

As HULU and Netflix and others got better at blocking VPNs, I found that HMA struggled to keep up and ahead. I eventually found another VPN that was able to immediately respond and changed.

A good VPN provider ,but definitely not the best

Pros

A fairly rich and varied selection of addresses ,most of which are quick to load .

Cons

I began with the free addresses they posted on their sites and gradually moved to premium when they removed that . Since then there has been a constant drop in the quality of service and VPNs you get ,eventually leaving me to switch .

Hello, Thank you for your response. The free addresses that you mention are actually free web proxy and they are still available here https://www.hidemyass.com/en-eu/proxy However, as we are a VPN provider, we focus more on VPN A VPN will automatically encrypt your entire Internet connection and as such all applications on your computer will be secured, whereas with a web proxy, you'll need to configure certain applications manually (such as your web browser). VPNs use stronger encryption methods and are therefore considered more secure than web proxies.

Great for checking geo restricted campaigns

Pros

We often have to check tracking of campaigns that are geo restricted, thus we need a way to make it appear that we are accessing the URL from another location. This is where HideMyAss comes in. The interface is easy to use and makes it quick to access the desired IP location.

Cons

Speed hasn't always been blazing, but that it's not a problem for our purposes.

Thank you for your comments, your input means a great deal to us. When it comes to the speed, the thign is that when you use VPN, the speed varies due to the distance between you, your ISP and the VPN server you're connected to. Furthermore, due to security protocols and VPN encryption, you can expect somewhat slower than normal speeds. Feel free to contact us directly regarding this matter.

Browsing anonymously

Pros

I love the logo ,it reeks personality .The selection if IPs is rich ,which is very good when you need to change them regularly .

Cons

However one of the reasons for needing to change regularly is that a lot of the IPs are slow or dead as a whole. There is definitely room for improvement there .

Great for finding proxy servers

Pros

So ok, I will admit it... I use this software for gaming. I use it to vote for myself in a game so I can get greater rewards... cheating? yes... I know it... But to review the software, its great! It gives you many choices of proxy servers to hide behind, and they are seamless. theres no lag when on a proxy, and it works wonderfully. Definitely recommend.

Cons

Not as many American proxys as I'd like to see.

Hello, Thank you for your comment. We're understand you would prefer even more US servers, however, please mind we have them more than any other provider. To find a complete list of our server locations, please follow this link: https://www.hidemyass.com/servers

Straightforward easy to use, handy and gets the job done for me

Pros

Fast and efficient while still remaining anonymous. Although not as versatile or as powerful as other softwares in this same industry, this gets the job done and has a long standing reputation.

Cons

It could be alittle more feature rich with functionality, and it can be clunky sometimes I have experienced when loading it up initially, but overall it is a great proxy software to use that I recommend.

An great VPN tool with convenient and efficient features.

Pros

This tool is a great VPN service. We can buy subscription packages at quite low rates. Their service is quite efficient and we can access any country and their respective divisions with this tool . We can also favorite our servers and keeps them using again and again. It allows secure browsing with protection from hackers and location trackers. Customer service is also very helpful which helps and guides in a very productive manner.Overall, a great service.

Cons

Been using this tool for a while and haven't faced any issues at all. I'm very much happy with the service and the tool.

Thank you for your review. Your satisfaction is our utmost priority, and we are happy to have ecstatic clients like you. Thank you for using HMA!

HideMyAss review

Overall this is a great app that I often use and highly recommend

Pros

It offers access to the sites that are blocked and lets access them seamlessly. It offers a great user experience and is easy to install

Cons

It does not work with Firewall and I have seen it become dysfunctional when a firewall is installed between the servers

Hi Mohammad, Thank you so much for a great review. We're especially glad that you are our long time user, so we wanted to let you know that we appreciate your loyalty. Feel free to contact our support directly https://bit.ly/2WB48tC for the Firewall issue, as our tech guys would be very keen to find a possible solution.

Great VPN at Great Price

Pros

We have been using Hide my Ass for years and the price to value rating is unbeatable

Cons

They could add some more cities to the current ones.

Thank you for your comment,your opinion s very important to us. When it comes to the cities that we're missing, could you please share with us which cities would you need. Just drop an email to us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9

one of the securest and fastest VPN on the market

We came from having some security problems with other VPN providers and HideMyAss solved them all.

Pros

For work, we need different VPN running at the same time, and after using lots of different providers, HideMyAss has become our go-to. It is fast, reliable, secure, user friendly and very easy to install

Cons

Pricing is not very competitive, but giving that it is one of the best VPNs of the market, it is way worth it.

Hello, Thank you very much for such a great review! Providing a secure internet traffic for you and keeping you safe online is what we strive for, so we really appreciate your words and it feels great to have solved issues you had with other providers. Hope you'll keep enjoying HMA, as we're happy to have you as our customer :)

Easy and safe to use

Pros

I really like this app it's great for safe browsing the internet, I really like because its so fast in connecting in other servers, and really lightweight application.

Cons

There is not much that is bad on this software, but when i use it on my Android device sometimes when i open it the app crashes.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

Ā© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.