KeePass Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.94/10

Reviews by rating

Keepass is a lifesaver for me, i have many many pswd on my work and thanks to this software i can manege it really good.
Their password keeping system is really good and their site interface was amazing. I really like there working way.
Secure, easy to use, run on different platforms. Nice place to secure you favorite links with your credentials.
I have been hacked several times and losing my e-mail address as many times and it's so frustrating. With Keepass, I can use several passwords that are so complicated that I can't remember them.
The interface is terrible, the user experience is terrible. It took me weeks to learn how to use it, and I found myself avoiding it at every turn.

Mike D.

Principal

Internet, self-employed

Basic Password Manager

Transcript

Mike D.: Hi, my name is Mike. I'm a lead handshaker and I give KeePass a two out of five, and for more...

Darren J.

Application Analyst II

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

KeePass remembers all my passwords

Transcript

Darren J.: Hi, I'm Darren. I'm a system analyst. I work in IT, in government, and I give KeePass a five...

💻 Gabriel B.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Keep your passwords secure

Pros

As a software developer, I'm very mindful of the security issues that often exist in cloud applications. Since a password manager is going to hold the access to all of your accounts (although you're hopefully 2FA), I only trust it if I'm storing it myself. KeePass checks all the features I'm looking for in my list: offline storage, open source, extensibility, audited often and can autocomplete. There are other not so important features that can be covered via plugins, but I've mostly kept the vanilla experience. I easily login in other devices via cloud storage and key files, so that only trusted devices with my key file and my password can retrieved my valued information.

Cons

The UI is not very pretty. There are some plugins that help by setting up a theme, but it still looks like a classic Windows application. It can be a slightly more difficult set up than using a cloud service, but it is way more secure.

Kyle M.

Banking, 51-200 employees

Essential Software for Personal and Business Security

I started using KeePass for personal use before my company implemented it. I have seen but never used any competing products.

Pros

Simple to use, does what it's supposed to do, and has lots of plugins to customize it for your particular needs. Very secure.

Cons

There are a lot of trade-offs with KeePass. Pros that come with cons. It's open source, so it's free, but it's not so polished. Install is tough for an IT amateur enthusiast like me, many people will need help. Plugins are available, but they're mostly open source too, so they may be finicky, and again, not as polished as other solutions. I'm not aware of any cloud service, which I wouldn't want to...

JM

Julián M.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

An essential tool to manage passwords, but it's only local

I could store all my data and even attached files to my secrets database. I could use it to handle a manual workflow to backup my most sensitive information and a way to keep safe the information that only was for my eyes.

Pros

This software is one of the easiest tools that I can use to store my passwords. It's very basic, and it leads to a quick learning curve. It offers strong password generator and attachments to the entries. For example, I use attachments to store private keys or digital certificates, and in that way this software acts also as a backup of my sensitive data.

Cons

The database is only local, so you can't use it in other devices, but the worst thing is that, if your computer is broken or stolen, you lost also the database and your secrets. It should be good if integrates a backup system or link to, for example, Dropbox, Google Drive or even another professional services like Amazon S3.

Brian S.

Computer Software, self-employed

An important tool to secure your online presence

Like many I've used Excel or post-it notes (shudder) to keep track of my passwords. I knew I should use a different password for each account, but it was so difficult to keep them straight. I investigated cloud-based services and with all the data breaches I just didn't trust that my accounts and passwords would be secure or that the company would even be around. I also wanted to access my passwords...

Pros

Strong encryption Helpful account & password organization Clean upgrades Works on Android!

Cons

Weak integration into web browsers Other online services have an auto-password-change feature that would be nice

Benjamin H.

Computer Software, self-employed

Safe, localized password storage done right. Good for the paranoid.

Great for security and convenience - have all your passwords in one place, and know it's being protected. Never worry about passwords left out on post-its again!

Pros

- Free and open source. It may be a placebo, but it helps me trust the intentions of the developers. - No bloat. Extremely straightforward interface. - Multiple options for protecting access to the database; personally, I just have a password, but you can also have a key file or link access to your Windows account. - Built-in password generator, with multiple levels of complexity - Extensive categorization options and functional search tool, if you need to manage large numbers of passwords

Cons

- One very minor irritation: if you're scrolling through the list and double-click on the info section of an entry instead of the name, it will copy the information to your clipboard instead of opening the entry. At first, I thought the program was just not responding; the two areas are close together and not clearly delineated, odd as it may sound.

Wiktoria A.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

This century must-have!

Personally, I've never met a single person in development environments I've ever worked in who hasn't been using KeePass. It's a completely must-have for any sysadmin or developer - it's the only way to somehow handle with all hundreds of admin and user accounts we need to have for everyday work. By keeping database file in the cloud I can access all my passwords from different machines and still don't be afraid of any data leak.

Pros

As it's open source software, it's allowed in most companies. Simply and easy to use - no unnecessary additions. KeePass can generate a secure password if we run out of imagination. Completely free and works on most common systems (Win, Mac, Linux, Android), so there is no need to look for paid competition on different devices!

Cons

If credentials fields' are separated by any element, autotype doesn't skip it and in effect doesn't work. Too crude appearance - it reminds me Windows 98 style. No possibility to store more login data than username and password.

Nicholas T.

Legal Services, self-employed

Great Password Manager - with Some Caveats

This is good software that does exactly what it says it will do. There isn't cloud connectivity and if you want this to be the one-size-fits-all solution, you're going to have to come up with a workaround for this. But, in the limited and as-advertised set of features of KeePass, you're going to be very happy, especially considering the price.

Pros

The price is right on this - it is free software, with a variant existing for Windows, Mac, iOS and most likely Android. It allows you to use a single incredibly secure password to be the only one you ever need - you can generate passwords for all your logins and keep everything stored in an encrypted file.

Cons

There isn't any cloud connectivity with this - if you're logging in on multiple devices then you'll need to keep a single file up to date and accessable on all of your terminals. Since most people login via at least one PC and a phone, there is a major pain point right there.

Nathaniel C.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

KeePass is the ultimate and go-to offline secure password and file storage.

Again, I would describe KeepPass as the absolute go to for secure password storage. I use on all my devices and for a majority of passwords...except the ones stored in my elephant like memory, ha! Best thing...it's totally free!!

Pros

Firstly, the fact that is totally offline is the most needed benefit, followed by the ability to multi-sign, using a variety of methods, such as key file. I have also used KeePass whislt going through an ISO audit, although not in this company and it was approved by the auditor as secure. (Disclaimer: This was on THAT occassion. I cannot speak for all ISO officers or the accreditor themselves.)

Cons

No official mobile version, however, as the software is open source, it is easy to find many checkable and source code verifiable iteration from an abundance of developers. Not to easy to use for newbies, or less computer literate people.

Hardian N.

Food Production, 501-1,000 employees

The best password manager for local use

this is the first password manager i ever have, open source, still using it after a couple of year but only for a couple of master password, as i often use password manager built in firefox or bitwarden

Pros

- very very safe, the only way to hack this is if you have physical access to laptop/computer itself - clear clipboard after 10s so we can't copy paste later on - great password generator - light weight app, can be use as an portable apps in usb - doesnt need internet connect to the password database - free

Cons

- UI is a bit dated - must save manually every time i create a password account - version 1 and version 2 are different database have to update manually to use the database password - no firefox pluggin - the biggest of all is no sync, you can sync it with google drive or dropbox for the database password

Héctor Joel B.

Computer & Network Security, 11-50 employees

Keepass stores your passwords in a safe and fast way.

The idea of having a password manager when you handle numerous amounts of information is helpful, this allows you to have all stored and protected in one place, Keepass can help you with this. You can create subgroups, generate additional information and even the link for the area you need to access on the web, if you use the option of self-access it will make things much easier for you to avoid marking errors.

Pros

Like many programs that allow you to protect your password and keep them safe when you handle large amounts of information, Keepass being a free program, it turns out to be very complete, it is easy to use and only one password you must keep safe and that is what you allows you to enter the application, its interface is very familiar, it has nothing that makes it difficult to add new keys, generate information so you can identify what they belong to and only a group of users can access.

Cons

For now I have nothing to add to indicate that Keepass has something wrong.

GB

Gamzat B.

Media Production, 11-50 employees

Best free alternative for 1Password

If you looking for a secure and reliable way to manage your passwords, try KeePass.KeePass is a free open-source password manager that allows you to store all your passwords in one secure database. With KeePass, you can easily create complex passwords for all your accounts and ensure that your private information is always secure.

Pros

- Enhances the security of user accounts by using strong and unique passwords.- Automatically logs users into accounts without the need to remember passwords.- Helps users to manage multiple accounts in one place.- Provides an extra layer of security by adding two-factor authentication.- Makes it easy to share passwords with other users.

Cons

- Security of the software and the data stored within it can be compromised.- It may be difficult to recover an account if the master password is forgotten.- Potential for keyloggers or other malicious software to capture master passwords.- The user must trust the password manager to keep their data safe and secure.- Users may feel overwhelmed by the complexity of the software.

Medical Devices, 11-50 employees

Secure offline password manager

KeePass has been an excellent tool for password security in commonly-used applications and for keeping track of otherwise-forgettable accounts on vendor websites. Since compatibility issues have been so minimal--no need to set it up for every browser, since it's an external program that runs on both Windows and Linux systems--I've relied on it for this purpose and have not considered switching to fiddly online password management.

Pros

Unlike most password managers, KeePass is stored locally, so you're at minimal risk of anyone cracking your database from the Internet. The double-click feature is fast and intuitive for copying password data, the keyfile system adds another layer of set-t-and-forget-it security, and password generation can be set to follow a range of parameters. It even allows you to sort databases into subgroups and to merge databases, the latter of which I use because I keep two copies of the database for different machines.

Cons

The menus are dates and not always intuitive to navigate. Changing the password generation settings is hard to get to, for a feature that is used so frequently--you have to open up the invidual database entry, open the password generation settings sub-dialogue, and pick out all the radio buttons (and number-of-characters text field) you'd like to use. Changing the default password generation settings is also pretty hard to find. The double-click feature doesn't always respond; something I need to double-click twice to copy the password into my clipboard.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Portable and easy to use

Love it. I know I have my passwords when I need them and I do not have to rely on some software company keeping their cloud safe from hackers. My passwords stay with me, and only me.

Pros

In addition to the installed version on my desktop, I also use the portable version on a USB drive I carry around. Does not require installation on the few other machines I need to check my passwords on. As for functionality, I don't find it lacking and it is easy to use without reading manuals. Going to my bank is as easy as clicking the link in the password entry, then click the username to copy it to the clipboard and paste it, then click the password to copy it to the clipboard and paste it. Copied passwords only sit in the clipboard for 12 seconds (default) before being removed from the clipboard (for security reasons)

Cons

Can't think of anything. if I had to say something, it is that it does not automatically capture your password when first filling out new logins on web pages. But with the auto generating passwords and the ease of using that password on web pages, it doesn't matter.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

KeyPass Review

KeyPass helps me to access my clients data and information securely over the web. I am saving all my save strong passwords in an application that can be stored on a USB stick, no need to install or accept any plugins and what not.

Pros

I have been using KeyPass for quite some time now; and what i like about KeyPass is that it is fast and easy to install the software on PC or a USB stick; KeyPass does not need much memory or Hard disk space to operate; i can store all my passwords in the database that can be only accessed via a master password or a key file to unlock the whole database. KeyPass is a password generator that i can create a strong password based on a few options such as; use letters, symbols,alphanumeric, and etc. Keypass allows me to search and sort my passwords, export for txt file or csv, secure clipboard handling which clears out the copied passwords after a few mins and does not store any where in the system; KeyPass the application alone does not store password on the system.

Cons

KeyPass is not compatible with any browsers so if i need to login into any website i would need to open the keypass app and physically copy and paste the password.

The auto-type feature of KeePass types credentials into other applications (including browsers) when pressing a global hot key. For completely automatic form filling, a browser extension is required. If you are willing to install such an extension: extensions are available for most major browsers on the KeePass plugins page.

11-50 employees

Feel free to use impossible passwords and forget them

Pros

Free, and Open Source (which is a great pro when security is at stake). I use KeePassX in Linux and the store format is compatible with other OS versions. I firstly installed an older version and when I upgraded I momentarily thought I had lost all my passwords! But I quickly recovered when the program asked if I wanted to import the old format... The password generator has all the switches to satisfy...

Cons

UI is not great. Choosing icons is painful and I cannot find use for most of them, they all look alike. Many systems, like remote banking, are not happy with just a username and password, and KeePass just offers a "Notes" area for additional pin codes and the like, which isn't functional at all. The auto-type feature needs to be used with care, or you might end up emailing your credentials to somebody! Some might think that no cloud integration is a con (although I don't).

AH

Atlee H.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 11-50 employees

If security is a top concern for you (and it should be!) use KeePass!

It has made our company a lot more secure by providing a way whereby we can insist on using strong unique passwords for anywhere we need to log into.

Pros

It is finally a very secure way to secure login information by creating and storing long unique passwords. I love the fact that it is open source, not cloud based, and I don't need to worry about the company behind it being tempted to make money off of my data.

Cons

It is a tad clumsy for beginners, but I realize that features and security come before UX in a product like this.

BB

Bill B.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Good secure personal password database - needs a sync method to work everywhere

I use Keepass on my desktop, laptop and phone and sync the database among all three. I have access to my and my customers' passwords everywhere I need them. Use it many times a day, it's quick and simple.

Pros

Self-hosted local app, no risk of a cloud data breach. Of course that means the responsibility for protecting your data is up to you. Desktop app can auto-fill login forms, is customizable to adapt to different required keystroke sequences on a per-site basis. Can use local 2FA in the form of a master password + a local key file. Keep the file on removable storage and enhance your security. Includes a password generator with which you can set the desired characteristics of your passwords (length, character and symbol sets) and make up new ones on the fly.

Cons

Missing a way to share one group from a database. You can clone a file and then delete all the passwords except the set you want to pass on, but for customer management it would be useful to be able to take one group and give that database to another party.

Chetan Y.

Opensource, Offline password manager

I use a fork of Keepass called KeepassXC on Windows, Linux and Android. It works best for my needs, as I wanted a password manager which is offline. Using third party browser plugins with integration is bit of a hassle and maybe not as good as 1Password. However among offline password managers this is a great option, simple to use and works with Android as well. You can also associate more attributes in addition to username and password. You can also attach files (say you want to attach a PEM/PPK file)

Pros

1. It's offline password manager and opensource. So you don't have to rely on cloud/web apps and this means stronger security for many users. 2. It has integration with browsers using plugins. 3. It can work on Android OS as well. 4. Additional sensitive attributes as well as files can be attached to any set of credentials.

Cons

There is no sync feature across devices which can be a inconvenience for a few users. One needs to use cloud storage like Google drive to sync the encrypted Keepass database file.

MT

Micah T.

Used other for 2+ years

Great Way to Keep Passwords Safe

KeePass has served me and my company well and has helped us avoid data breach issues and so forth, simply by being a great vault for passwords to be stored in. I work on so many programs and platforms that it would be impossible to remember all of my passwords, and using the same password for all programs is a terrible idea. KeePass solves that problem in an easy to use way.

Pros

I love how easy it is to store passwords on a protected file on a drive. It is wonderful to be able to use a shared drive to store the DB file so you can utilize your saved passwords from any machine you are using. Passwords need to be more and more complicated, as time goes by, to avoid someone using your credentials maliciously. This product allows you to use high security passwords for programs/files/etc. without having to remember them all. I also like that you can map the authentication to your domain login on a machine so you dont even have to remember a password to get into the file.

Cons

I have not used this software recently due to the fact that I now work on a Mac. Although I utilize Windows in Parallels, I am still unable to get KeePass to work. I understand this is due to a .Net Framework issue on parallels not behaving correctly, but it would be nice to have a simple solution for this and use the product more often on an iOS platform running Windows parallels.

MW

Matthew W.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Really great password utility

I use KeePass to keep my passwords straight - and with today's security requirements, that can be a real issue.

Pros

I love that you're not beholden to the cloud for your password storage - you're able to keep your password database local, encrypted, and safe.

Cons

It can be difficult to transfer the database between computers if you're not tech-savvy, but that's not too much of an issue.

JM

Jenna M.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Great password keeper

Pros

I like that this is firstly and open source product, secondly that it is encrypted and thirdly that it is stored locally. Being stored locally for me is what sets this from all the other password managers as they are predominately online, if they are ever hacked your data could be exposed. You set up a password database locally (can be shared with others) and you enter your password to access the database. You can play around with this so that for each password you can auto fill details on webpages/servers. You program each entry individually so for example if you need to enter your username, password then hit enter to login. You can program the app to do so.

Cons

Being picky, the ordering of groups is quite manual, would love it if you could drag and drop.

GB

Geoffrey B.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Straightforward Password Manager

Never lets me down despite having transferred the database between 3 computers over time

Pros

I liked the linkage to a seperate file for login and the ease in which new passwords can be generated. I also like the ability to load websites and copy username and password.

Cons

The passwords generated are more simple than that required for some websites which require letters, numbers, capitals and unique characters. A version for phones would be good as I have to use Keepass2Android to obtain this. It would be useful if updates were within the application rather than having to go to a browser, download and install.

CC

Carl C.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Security and Ease of Use

I have used this software both professionally and personally for over 10 years. It has saved me time on a daily basis by having easy access to login credentials along with associated notes. Easy to access, quick to use, and very handy.

Pros

KeePass is easy to install and setup. It keeps your login credentials well organized and safe. Easy to manage includes ability to insert notes.

Cons

This one of the only software products where I can honestly not come up with a "con". The closest thing to an issue was having to figure out how to keep the KeePass window open on my screen when clicking into a site for login. There is a setting that "keeps it on top" which is handy.

GH

GEOFFREY H.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

A great free and modular password manager

One simply can't remember all passwords, whether for personal or professional accounts/applications, especially when these change regularly. Keepass makes it just easy and safe.

Pros

On top of being a great password manager with all features one may expect, such as encryption, autotype, auto generation of passwords, organization into subfolders, etc...the multiple add-on modules available allow implementing extra features, such as two-factor certificate-based authentication for extra safety, Google Drive compatibility to share the password database between multiple machines, etc... Oh and, all of this comes for free!

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. Everything you need is either available in the main product or via add-on modules.

Photography, 501-1,000 employees

KeePass is great if it fits your use case

This replaced passwords being stored in spreadsheets, never a good idea. It allowed unmemorable high entropy passwords to be implemented, but in the end the lack of workable sync for multiple users became a barrier to use and caused us to move on. For a single user not requiring mobile use this could be a good free solution.

Pros

I used KeePass from a network share to manage internal, the fact that it was free made it an easy way to show the benefits of using a password manager. The ability to generate passwords with high entropy at the click of a button certainly improved the security posture immeasurably.

Cons

The lack of cloud based hosting and sync proved to be a barrier to long term use. Whilst you can work around this by using sync tools and shared folders, there is alway the risk of changes being overwritten by another user. The interface felt outdated and cluttered. The lack of official mobile builds was an issue.