TunnelBear Logo

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.43/10

Reviews by rating

TunnelBear also offers a generous free plan with 500MB of data per month, which I found to be very helpful. The customer support team was also friendly and helpful in answering my questions.
What I like most about this software is the development team which I believe is one of the best you can find, everything works great and smoothly.
Tunnelbear has a lot of ads and pop ups that end up annoying so much because it makes it a bit hard to work or view a site without being disturbed by a pop up.
My company have bought paid subscription for another VPN client, which has really terrible support and doesn't do the basic thing it is supposed to change your location and IP.
The device limit (5) can be an obstacle for some users.

Lilian M.

Sales Consultant

Automotive, 501-1,000 employees

Tunnelbear

Transcript

Lilian: Hi guys, I am Lilian, a digital marketing executive. I've used TunnelBear and I'm still using...

Kyle W.

Corporate Videographer

Automotive, 201-500 employees

TunnelBear Review

Transcript

Kyle W: Hello there. My name is Kyle. I am a videographer. I work in the manufacturing industry, and...

Janosch F.

Human Resources, 51-200 employees

Easy, reliable VPN-Tunneling that works

I was astonished by how easy setting up a VPN Tunnel can be. Fast, reliable, stable - recommendable. Whenever I have a task to do which requires my PC believably to be in Finnland or Australia I will unse TunnelbBar again. Can not have no sad bears (: .

Pros

I needed a way to tunnel VPN traffic in a way that would make my PC appear to be from another country then the one I was in. I came across tunnelBear and felt in love. Clear and simple it integrates into your System and tunnels (hence the name) your Network traffic as set to be. I had zero hassle with setup or stability and was just charmed by the user-friendly, open easy to use functionality.

Cons

Not much. The only thing I can remeber was, taht I was sad, when I had to quit because I had done all I had to do on the task that required the VPN-Tunnel. "The bear was sad" or something I remember. Even the unsitall Process was clean, simple and easy.

E-Learning, self-employed

My personal opinion about using Tunnelbear

Tunnelbear is a great VPN that people can rely on which saving money along the way. It has basic good features, enough VPN protocols, having a stable internet connection and good internet speed that can rival that of other VPNs. Customer support is always there for you if you need to ask questions and they really put an effort into solving the problems that users are facing. All in all, it is a pleasant VPN to use and I am 100 percent sure you will feel the same too!

Pros

First of all, Tunnelbear is priced right amongst its competitors which are more costly. Don't let cheap price fool you as it is a good VPN with tons of features that you can also get on other pricy VPNs. Initial sign-up and login is simple and intuitive and doesn't take that much time to do it. To connect, you just need to click a button and boom! instant connected. You don't need to worry about connection...

Cons

Sometimes, your account can be logged out and you need to sign-in again but it is not that much of a deal-breaker as it happens only a few times from using it. I also encountered a bug about connecting as clicking it didn't do anything; therefore, I exited the app and reopened one more time to solve the problem. The thing is yes, Tunnelbear does have problems but they are mostly minor ones which will not cause users to have headache.

Claudia L.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

TunnelBear enables a secure and high-performance connection

TunnelBear allows us to connect to public networks from our corporate laptops and cell phones, thanks to the fact that it has desktop applications and mobile applications for all platforms. With this software we managed to encrypt the connection through the IKEv2 protocol and we can navigate at high speed and without restrictions.

Pros

I like TunnelBear because it offers completely free browsing data and has a large number of countries. Its user interface is interactive and lively, making it easy to connect to the VPN. I also like that it has desktop apps and also mobile apps. Also, it has very good security protocols like IKEv2 and IPSec.

Cons

The only thing that disgusts me is that it does not have different options of cities per country, it is only possible to change the country.

Osarumwense I.

Motion Pictures and Film, 1-10 employees

TunnelBear

Overall, TunnelBear, with its intuitive UI has done a great job simplifying VPNs for a novice like me, in my business.

Pros

It is brilliantly designed to meet our everyday needs. It is secure and have your device protected; no need to worry about your data being stolen. The fact that TunnelBear is fun, and offers free 500mb every month is probably the most attractive thing about it. It is very unlikely to find a VPN solution that offers free service, and still be fun to use. No other VPN solutions like TunnelBear; with its free trial, you can check it out if you like the product. Its simplicity makes it fun to use by inexperienced users. TunnelBear supports split tunneling on android devices. It can also be use as a secure torrent network.

Cons

What i like least about this software is how slow the internet connection could be sometimes, most especially after disconnected and trying to reconnect. This should be looked into. It is not a great fit for streaming as the data zaps quickly. Relatively few servers. More servers should be added.

Polo G.

Design, 11-50 employees

The simplest VPN client out there

Tunnelbear is without a doubt the simplest VPN if you're in need of one. Great software for a single person, not sure if it would work for a large company.

Pros

- Very cheap for what it offers - Very easy to install, even without computer knowledge - The app is very well designed - The companion apps make a great investment, VPN all across devices - Has a free version that gives you 2gb for a tweet

Cons

Not much, the only one is that the app sometimes gets slow and the connection to the VPN takes more than expected, sometimes more than 2 minutes

JJ

Jelle J.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Great VPN

Pros

Tunnelbear is a great VPN that has a nice design with bears. The free tier works good but the paid version is a lot better.

Cons

I switched to another VPN because of the price, but I would have sticked with Tunnelbear if they had made their software cheaper.

Leon C.

This is probably the cutest and most effective VPN software in the market.

Great and functional VPN software.

Pros

First of all, this software has one of the most beautiful and easy to use interfaces I have seen, also their website graphics revolved around cute vectorized bears. It works marvelous, it is simple to use, effective, connects quickly and in addition; it is inexpensive (You can use around 500 MB for free in a monthly basis, and if you tweet about TunnelBear you can get some extra MBs, also their monthly and yearly plans are very affordable). I wholeheartedly recommend TunnelBear!

Cons

This is one of those few cases were I don't really have anything negative to say about a software. I believe TunnelBear is great.

Karl D.

Financial Services, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

Protection of the privacy of information in a secure and stable manner.

It is a tool that has guaranteed the privacy of the information of the members of the company where it has been implemented, its service is fast, easy to use and guarantees a good technical support and quality service.

Pros

This product offers a good stability in VPN connection, offers a connection in a stable and secure way allowing the user to enjoy a fast navigation offering the privacy of the information, especially when it comes to information of the financial type or themes of the company. Confidentiality, accessing the TunnelBear Services is simple and the forms of payment are varied, the installation of the software can be applied from the desktop or through the web browser.

Cons

Once I had to install the software in Windows 8.1 and it did not work, the software was installed, it also happened several times that it was frozen when making a connection and not connects which I had to restart and it works again.

Josip L.

Retail, 1-10 employees

VPN full of bears

Some websites are in my country geo-blocked like Hulu or CBS. I solved this problem by using TunnelBear. It works flawlessly every time. I don't even notice I am using a VPN because the speed of download and upload is almost the same as my carrier provide.

Pros

TunnelBear is a fantastic VPN service with easy to use interface which has a lot of sweet little bears all around menus. When you press to turn on the button you are greeted with a nice animation of a bear digging a tunnel from your country to a selected country. Their dedication to those little details and overall quality of service is what makes TunnelBear the best VPN. If you bought their subscription...

Cons

The only downside of TunnelBear is their pricing if you choose monthly plan but most of the users usually choose year plan so they don't have to bother with that and usually with a monthly plan there is a lot more saving. In TunnelBear is this enormous 50%.

Héctor A.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Easiest to use VPN Service with bear puns included

Best UI in a VPN Client, Easy to use and fast to connect, if you're an advance user some options will not be available and you cannot go wrong with this one.

Pros

It was really easy to use and setup, the UI was excellent, variety of countries to use, it connected really quick, and the price is right.

Cons

Lack of advance options in comparison to PIA and that McAfee acquired them about 2 years ago, for some people that might be bad but the product itself it's been amazing and you cannot torrent with it.

Nadusha V.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Only for short term operations. Period.

Overall, I'm only using this for some simple operations only. Only reason I'm using this is because of the user friendliness of the app. And this is 100% working where some other tools don't work sometimes. But the bandwidth limit is too low. So I can only rate it 5 out of 10.

Pros

Well, I like everything about the Tunnelbear vpn. It can hide your identity and can connect to any server in almost all of the countries out there. works pretty well. Thishas an Chrome extension so that you can use it with the chrome browser. First you have to create an account and then you have to login. this process is very easy and won't take too much time. And you can connect right away. There's an android app so that use vpn from your mobile device wiht those login credentials. Everything is pretty easy. user interface is very simple. and attractive as well. and connecting won't take too long or there's no queue like other tools.

Cons

like I said previously, usage bandwidth is limited when you're using this. like very low. you only get 500MB per month. so it's not suitable for long term operations like browsing social media, downloading things etc. however they allow you 1 GB if you could tweet about their service. But even that doesn't sound enough for me. Plus there are some competitors who offer the same service for free! So this is a bit questionable.

CJ

Caleb J.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

TunnelBear - Surf Fearlessly

I have loved the experience ever since I started using the service and don't think I will switch to anyother VPN service provider.

Pros

TunnelBear is a VPN service which encrypts your internet connection in order to keep your daily online activities private and super secure while you browse the web doing what you do best, without the worries of hackers and the government spying on your data. TunnelBear is available across all Mac, Windows, IOS and Android devices so you feel secure no matter your location or your device. TunnelBear...

Cons

TunnelBear uses 256-bit AES encryption which is strong enough but a bit weaker than other VPN services on the market.

E-Learning, self-employed

Best VPN ever!

Pros

I have tried countless VPN already, and no one can compare to TunnelBear! Sure, I only used the free trial, which is 500 mb a month, but that alone is enough for it to make an impact on me. A lot of VPN that I have tried that said are offering free service doesn't really work for me. The only one that worked is TunnelBear. The free trial is very important because it is what will make the user to decide whether to pay for the service or not. And I'm pretty sure that when the time comes, I'll gladly pay for their service! It's very easy to use, and they have a really cute layout. It's not "complicated-looking", and it worked really great as a VPN. Highly recommended!

Cons

Since I only tried using the free trial, I can say that the only con that I am seeing is the fact that you can only use 500 mb per month. That is something that of course, can be solved when you decide to pay for their service.

JR

Jyoti R.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Good, reliable product

Pros

I used Tunnel Bear for several years so I could easily switch country by IP address using a VPN. I was impressed by the simplicity of it. Clean, uncluttered - very easy to install and navigate. Any time there was an issue, the customer support team was very responsive.

Cons

My only real gripe with this software, and the reason I eventually moved over to a competitor, was that they seemed unable to adequately keep up with changes. Large companies are constantly trying to thwart VPNs and stealth IP addresses and it's an ongoing game to adapt the technology. It seemed that TunnelBear wasn't fast enough in developing their product to keep ahead of the changes.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

Secure your internet activities

TunnelBear helps me in maintaining my privacy over my internet activities. It is easy to use and cheap, making it possible for me to subscribe to its plan.

Pros

TunnelBear is very easy to use! You just need to click or tap on the server's location that you want to use and voila! You are connected to the server. It is also cheap compared to other similar services, yet offer good service to the users.

Cons

It offers a free version but with very limited data it offers, it's better to just subscribe to the basic plan. Another negative point is that sometimes, the connection becomes lagging. While it is understandable since I am using VPN service but I hope this can be addressed somewhat.

DF

Danilo F.

Defense & Space, 10,001+ employees

Great software with some reliability snags

Overall it serves the purpose and delivers the intended service. However, I believe it could improve its reliability as a way to justify the prices charged.

Pros

It allows you to access internet content only available within countries, which is quite a balsam when your are away from home and wants to watch your favourite shows. It is user-friendly and has a cute interface. It is really powerful and incredibly straightforward to use.

Cons

I believe the main problem is to do with reliability. The connection happens to stall every now and then. Besides that, it can reduce a bit of your connection speed.

DP

David P.

Translation and Localization, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Great, easy to use VPN

Provides an extra layer of security for work when out and about away from my home network as well as access to more content for personal entertainment.

Pros

Very easy to setup and use, both on MacOS and iOS. Cute user interface makes VPNs seem more accessible to the less tech savvy. Worked for both an added layer of security when on public wifi networks and for access content/sites otherwise location blocked when traveling.

Cons

Free trial somewhat limited at 500mb, trying it out with YouTube or other video burns through it extremely quickly. Month to month subscription also more expensive than other similar options; need to commit to an annual subscription to get a more reasonable monthly rate.

GS

Gayland S.

Human Resources, 51-200 employees

Best VPN available today

I started out using their free minutes and was hooked immediately. I had questions and contacted customer service which was a very pleasant experience. I have had zero problems and feel very confident that my online use is private and secure.

Pros

First, the financial side. The prices on TunnelBear are some of the best available. In addition, they give you free time. Secondly, it is extremely secure and is very user friendly. Also, their customer service is excellent.

Cons

I would like for the font to be a little larger.

Signe J.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Great for basic VPN

The price is right fort this VPN and I am very satisfied with Tunnelbear.

Pros

Tunnelbear does a great job of protecting privacy, and it's very affordable. For $10/month, you can protect 5 separate devices. Additionally, the cute cartoon bears make this VPN fun. It takes a scary issue -- privacy violation -- and turns it into something nonthreatening.

Cons

Some VPNs offer additional services and protections beyond the basic VPN. However, Tunnelbear is limited to VPN only. For my needs, that's perfectly fine. However, some users will want a more inclusive solution if they have more complex needs. Additionally, Tunnelbear can be slow at times depending on which server you connect to. It's mostly fine, but once in a while it crawls.

JM

Jordan M.

Photography, self-employed

Security is important!

I run a Photography Studio and keeping photos of clients safe and secure is vital. Online delivery of images is 100% of the time how we do things and keeping that information secure for only the client is a must. TunnelBear helps keep it that way. I can actually keep true to the Privacy Policy I have with clients!

Pros

TunnelBear is invisible! You might think that is a Con, but you would be wrong. Setup was quick and easy. I don't need to maintain it or anything, just let it do its work.

Cons

Pricey, I wish services like this would be cheaper. It's another monthly subscription alongside the other 10+ subscriptions you have.

tn

teran n.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Trusted VPN for gamers

I have been using tunnel bear paid version for gaming for security purposes.

Pros

This supports for all platforms and all major browsers as extensions. I extremely love the cute interfaces which gives me a very pleasant feeling whenever I see them. Third parties won't be able to identify the user and their data since tunnelbear is using very strong encryption mechanism. Also there are long list of locations that I can set and connect.

Cons

This blocks some games and sometimes slow down the network speed.

Great app which is easy to use

I am using it on my Ipad and it gives me great freedom to watch worldwide TV, movies and listen to radio shows.

Pros

Easy to start up, easy to switch between different countries and the service has a great price compared with similar service.

Cons

I would like more than the twenty-five available countries were included in the list of countries which you can establish VPN to.

Thanks for your feedback! It's beary much appreciated.

Karen H.

Design, self-employed

One of my favorite VPN's

Great service, great branding and trusted by pros definitely worth a try if you use public wifi. Oh! Plus they have an app for your phone for extra security. Try it!

Pros

The cute little bear grabbed my attention first, well it came recommended from a cybersecurity pro. Then the bear just sealed the deal. What can I say I am a sucker for good branding and theirs is pretty good. Anyway, the real reason why I needed to find a trusty VPN is because I like to work from coffee shops and I wanted additional protection of my info! The scammers are serious out here in these streets, I simply don't have time to deal with the hacks. So that is where TunnelBear steps in, it keeps me feeling a bit more secure for when I am out and about using public wifi.

Cons

Absolutely nothing really - sometimes it disconnects for a brief second but it's right back up. It will tell you by popping a notification across the screen. Other than that I think the price is great and the customer service is great as well. I definitely highly recommend them for VPN.

Will S.

Design, 51-200 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

Best free option for short burst users

I loved its free version when I used it. It was perfect for downloading small files from strange servers... though I would recommend keeping your antivirus active if you plan to do the same!

Pros

A free VPN with a lot more to offer in paid subscriptions. You get 500 mb free each month, which is great for short burst users -- I used TunnelBear when I downloaded music a few years ago. It is extremely easy to set up and turn on, and definitely all around the most user friendly VPN I have ever seen.

Cons

500 mb is plenty for some people, but the more often you plan to use your VPN -- or the larger the files you plan to download -- the less enticing this is. You can opt to pay for TunnelBear, but in my opinion, the free version is where Tunnelbear outshines competitors. If you plan to pay for your VPN, I would hands down recommend NordVPN above any other -- but if you are comfortable with TunnelBear, it may still be the best option for you. Keep in mind, however, that some VPNs have restrictions on download types -- if you plan to torrent, be sure to check TunnelBear's policies on P2P downloading & uploading.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

TunnelBear - Safe browsing, easy install, no hassle

Pros

Just as the title says, this product was easy to install and implement on my network. It provides exactly what it claims to and doesn't have much frill to set up. Additionally, there is a freeware client available for those that just want to give it a try and see what they're missing. The paid version is much better in my opinion as it offers unlimited data streams rather than the 500 mb in the free version.

Cons

I do not like that this product doesnt offer wiregaurd and does not support Obfsproxy. Those are my only two qualms, but for what I'm paying, I can't really hate too much on this product. It's an incredible bargain.