PTM-VISION Logo

PTM-VISION

Heavy-duty truck repair shop management software

PTM-VISION Reviews

3.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.29/10

Reviews by rating

The reporting features of this software are very good. The customer service is amazing, they are quick to return a phone call and to assist with any questions or training you may need.
Tech support always blamed our network for why problems arose. Not compatible with Quik Books or Sage accounting systems.
The loss of integrated payroll service in accounting.

JU

John U.

Using Vision Daily

I love the company. We started with Jim back around 2003-2005 I think. We have been with Pluss for many, many years. My father had Pluss software before it was Vision, it was called something else and it was on a DOS platform. About 2011 we switched to Windows based Vision Software. We love that Vision is, for the most part, easy to use. It can be complex at times but the staff is accommodating to us when we have questions.

Pros

I love the functionality of the Work Orders and Sales Orders. It is so simple to go in and write a work order and to set up labor codes. Set up pricing. The program is fast in this regard. It flows well and makes the transaction with the customer go well also. For instance, if a customer asks for an estimate, it is very simple to pull them up, create an estimate and pull the unit from the choices previously entered in. Work orders, sales orders and processing them though is very simple. Accounts payable and accounts receivable are also very simple and straight forward. Pulling these reports is simple and easy to do to manage the business as well.

Cons

Some reports are difficult to find. Many keystrokes to get a report - for instance, to pull a commission report for my parts manager takes around 12 - 15 keystrokes and has me searching for the data. I have the process to pull it up written down and have to look at it every time as it is complicated. I have enough to do without complications from trying to retrieve data. I don't even know what...

TK

THERESA K.

NEW DEALER

Pros

THE SYSTEM IS EASY TO USE AND WORKS WELL AS A DMS

Cons

WE STILL ARE WAITING ON SOME WORK AROUNDS TO BE FIXED

NJ

Neal J.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees

Mid Minnesota truck parts and service

We have been a customer for over 30 years. We would not have stuck with you for that long if we did not se value in the system.

Pros

It covers a lot of aspects of our business fairly well. It is an adaptable platform that has many options.

Cons

It has been and remains glitchy. Locking up and erroring out on a fairly consistent basis.

MA

Michael A.

Automotive, 51-200 employees

Vision program

good overall and the customer service is the very best. [sensitive content hidden] makes things happen. He has always done us a great job.

Pros

Diverse program does everything that we need it to do for us

Cons

lots of ghost in the closet things that keep happening that should be locked down.

JM

JANNA M.

Maritime, 1-10 employees

BEGINNER CFO

VISION AS A COMPANY HAS ALWAYS BEEN AVAILABLE IN A TIMELY MANNER AND THE STAFF WE'VE WORKED WITH OVER THE YEARS HAS BEEN VERY CAPABLE AND RESPONSIVE TO OUR NEEDS AS A COMPANY, ESPECIALLY THE ACCOUNTING STAFF FOR WHOM I HAVE THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR. THANK YOU ALL

Pros

THE ACCOUNTING PORTION OF THE SOFTWARE INTEGRATES PAYABLES AND RECEIVEABLES AND PROVIDES ALL THE NECESSARY TOOLS FOR SUCCESS. ESPECIALLY REGARDING MONTH END BALANCING AND THE INTEGRATION TO THE WORK ORDERS.

Cons

THE ONLY CONS FOR OUR BUSINESS APPLICATION WAS THE AMOUNT OF DETAIL NECESSARY TO INTEGRATE WITH VISION. OUR COMPANY HAD A MAJOR CHANGE IN OPERATIONS AND DETAILS WE NOT EASILY OBTAINED, ALTHOUGH WELL WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT

JW

Jeff W.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Decent software but needs an update

We are still using the software with hopes that there will be some improvements to the overall program. Vision certainly has some big potential if the developer is willing to invest the time and resources to improve upon some of the downsides rather than simply using work arounds. Overall our experience has been so-so with some ups and downs and I wouldn't go out of my way to either recommend nor discourage anyone else from using it.

Pros

I like that Vision is an install based platform. This means that even with network outages I can still operate my business. Vision has some features that after some time to learn them can be very helpful.

Cons

The GUI is very dated and certainly brings me back to the 90's. A GUI update in additiion to the simplifion of multiple features and the deletion of some old features that "no one uses anymore" would be highly appreciated. Their pricing structure for the software can be prohibitive to smaller business and adding features beyond the basic (very basic set up) adds up very quickly. Implimentation was...

PS

Pete S.

Garbage in Garbage Out

Just in the efforts alone that [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] gave , really made me feel comfortable with the system and wanting to learn more about its capabilities, which is when everything changed when I met [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. She is very customer service oriented and learned exactly what our needs were. She was able to work with myself and other members in establishing a training curriculum...

Pros

When I first came on board, the Vision software was not very well liked by my company and some of its users, including our hi level management. The system had severe issues with lag time, crashing and other issues involved with the accounting functions. However over the past year I have worked closely with the Pluss Team and have been able to address a lot of those past issues. My First experience...

Cons

honestly since we upgraded to the onsite server, I have yet to find any major issues with the program.

SR

Steve R.

Consumer Services, 11-50 employees

Vision review

Overall the experience has been good. I have always appreciated the people who help me repair issues with software, hardware and when we make boneheaded mistakes. I have always been a fan of how relatively easy the software is to learn and use. It has been a great business tool for TSI.

Pros

When we made the change from Karmac to PTM the driving factor at that time was cost. We were forced to make changes due to Y2K and it was a much better choice to switch than to pay a high fee just to get a patch job from Karmac. My bookkeepers at that time had some experience with the accounting features of PTM due to our Florida branch was using the software. That alone had a large impact on our decision to go with PTM. Later we also learned to appreciate the inventory and point of sale features.

Cons

Trying to get software to completely fit the way we run the business is always a challenge. Attempts are made to make it more of a custom fit but you usually have to bend to the ways of the software since things are designed to fit the masses. Other than that the purchase order functions have always seemed to have some issues that we have learned to deal with.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Data requires a lot of oversight

Overall the system is functional. Although the software does run slow unless you are on a remote desktop situation. From talking to IT folks, the issue seems to be connected to the FoxPro database structure that it uses which is about 20 years old and most apps do not run on anymore. But you get what you pay for. PTM-Vision is super cheap up front which makes for an enticing offer. But you pay for it in lack of features and sometimes glitchy and slow running software. Also, the reporting is okay, although limited. And they are nothing compared to the BI reporting you can do with many of the other software options.

Pros

It is very affordable. The support is friendly and most of the time are able to solve your problem quickly.

Cons

There are a lot of strange happenings in this software. Payments on customers accounts will randomly change amounts. Nobody has ever been able to explain this. Workorders will randomly duplicate themselves. There are a number of 'utilities' that you need to run in order to get accurate reports. You have to be vigilant about double checking your data.

Thank you for the kind words in regards to our professional staff members, we take great pride in all of our employees so much so we bought the company. It would be impossible for us to address each issue you are experiencing here but we would appreciate the opportunity to do so at your convenience. The most successful companies we work with are those companies that interact with us. Please give us a call anytime, happy to help.

EA

ERIK A.

CHARLES AUTO ELECTRIC REVIEW

Pros

EASY TO USE. SOFTWARE UPDATES WERE READILY AVAILABLE. TECH SUPPORT IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE.

Cons

LITTLE CONS. PERHAPS SOME OF THE SOFTWARE FEATURES WERE MORE DIFFICULT, BUT THEIR TECH SUPPORT WOULD EXPLAIN SIMPLY.

RK

Rhonda K.

Consumer Services, 11-50 employees

Truck repair operating software.

We purchased the system after reviewing the on-line demo. The only issue I have is training. We have a small office, each of us wear many "hats". It would have been great if it were cost effective for us to have on-site training that we could have done in the afternoons or on Saturdays.

Pros

Cons

We have had issues with making the work orders work with our Mitchell estimating program. We would love for our estimates to be able to be converted directly to a work order and then an invoice. We now have to process an estimate then enter a work order from the estimate and then close the work order and process the invoice.

RF

Ron F.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 employees

Keeping up with the times

every shop needs a good software for use of the shop managers. this system does a good enough job of that. don't take a long time to make a work order. some of the parts could be made easier to use and the bar coding version made better. system gets expensive once all components are bought to use it fluently.

Pros

reports from the service side It has a good service side or sales Easy and fast to make a work order

Cons

not a fan of the updates. they seem to make changes with the system and we don't know what they are until we open the system to use and find them. especially surprises in the parts and inventory area is hard to handle at times. System has a lot of options, but once we tried to use them they did not fit in the system without too many steps and cumbersome to use.

AO

Aaron O.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Great software for those wanting to have a good program without breaking the bank!

I personally have used PTM's software since 2004. So I do have experience with all of the product changes and features inside of the program. I have found that I am able to train our employees pretty easily, and most seem to pick up on it rather quickly. Anytime that I have a question or put in a service ticket it is handled promptly and to our satisfaction. Bottom line the Vision software from Pluss gets the job done! It handles our day to day without spending an arm and a leg.

Pros

The best thing I have to say about Vision is there customer service, they are very quick about helping you get through any issues you might run into. The price for this product compared to others that offer the same features makes this a no brainer. We use Vision for shop jobs, parts sales & inventory, vehicle sales, timeclock, A/R & A/P and reporting.

Cons

The only issues that we have run into here is some of our staff are older, they tend to struggle with basic computer knowledge.

cm

catherine m.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

getting any reports from this software is very difficult and usually the numbers are incorrect.

no benefits

Pros

The support people are very nice the invoices look professional. It's not as expensive as some of the better programs

Cons

It's not a reliable software and I don' t recommend it for inventory or financial information the numbers we enter are not the numbers for some reason they change and you have to call support to fix the problem.

Hello Catherine, we are sorry for the frustrations you have felt with using certain areas of our program. We want to solve the problems that you, Karl, and Jennifer have experienced, however, we have not had any luck getting in touch with you despite our many attempts. We pride ourselves in our training and support here at Pluss and we value all customer feedback - finding a solution to the issues...

WR

Wendy R.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees

Growing our Business

The biggest benefit we have found while utilizing PTM Vision is the usefulness of purchase orders and posting items received or used per customer immediately during the receiving process.

Pros

The features I like most about PTM Vision software are the abilities to access all company information in one place. Such as vendor and customer information, inventory and margins at your fingertips. This was essential in growing the business from a repair shop to a full blown diesel engine repair facility.

Cons

My least favorite feature of PTM Vision is the reporting and how difficult it is to run simple reports. The path to follow isn't always easy and the information is very in depth and times and vague in some reporting situations.

RV

Ryan V.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 employees

PTM Software Review

It has been a well enough experience, that we keep using the program.

Pros

I like the program. Works with ease being our service facility runs day and night. Users don't get hung up to the point they can perform simple jobs tasks as i have seen with other programs.

Cons

Search functions for customer lookup as well as parts look up are very dated. System needs more intelligence in that area as i have seen using other programs where less is more in the data search fields. System bogs down with overwhelming amounts of data we put into it and we need to index often to avoid this. It would also be nice if it was a sequel based program vs foxpro - notes that i have heard through our company's IT dept.

KC

Kay-Cee C.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Finally found software to fit our diesel truck shop and parts department!

My experience with PTM-VISION has been amazing! The people they hire really know their stuff. When you call for help they put you with people that have actual experience in the field- parts, service, and accounting. You just tell them what you are trying to accomplish and they help you get it done fast!

Pros

We have a very large inventory. This software not only keeps track of everything we stock, but we can import our price catalogs with ease. Reports in this system are endless! If they do not have a ready made report, you can build your own and save it. Service and customer tracking are great as well as accounting and finance. Very well rounded system overall!

Cons

There are so many cool features in this system that even after a few years there is so much more to learn. The only con is that I do not have enough time to explore all the functions and integrations.

JO

James O.

Customer Service Touch

As a transportation repair provider, we have the ability to customize invoices, stock in inventory and vendors all under one roof. My field technician is comfortable with the software which is what matters most.

Pros

We have an awesome account manager that actively reaches out to see if we have questions or if we need further training. What we like most is integrated merchant payment processing. We started out as a new business using Square & Stripe, but the per transaction fees started to hurt. On the account side, the reports are robust but not as intuitive to run as they could be. We chose to rely on the knowledge base help articles after the initial training was completed which are through.

Cons

Training - Cost for live help when a video tutorials would be better long term User Interface is a facial wart but the UX is fine after time Emailing out of the software requires a connection to an email client. This integration was not covered in training as far as we are aware.

KS

KIM S.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees

PTM-VISION Review

FAIR

Pros

AVAILIBILITY--AND EASE OF USE---AFFORDABILITY--

Cons

CORES----REPORTS-----CHANGING OF PERSONAL

Thank you for your review and the honest feedback. We are glad to see that overall you are satisfied, but it looks like we have some work to do to help improve things for you. You have been with us for a long time and your opinion is very important to us.

JH

Johnny H.

Company that helps you Succeed

Awesome they have been one of the Keys to our success and just darn good people to work with

Pros

I have been with PTM for 24 Plus years they have always worked to make there Product better to help you as a Business succeed, They seek the input of me the customer and end user of what we need to make our operation efficient and successful

Cons

The only Complaint I have is the Accounting Module is made for accounts and doesn't work well with with us that are not accountants

KC

Ken C.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Overall, above average experience.

Pros

The program is very stabile. Support team is quick to respond.

Cons

Expensive. Can't access inventory on cell phone. Invoices stored on date opened, not date closed. Can't email PO, long descriptions become unreadable.

JW

Justin W.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees

Productivity that works for your bottom line

Pros

When we were looking for a new software system for our shop we were wanting something that would help us track all aspects of our spending, production, receivables, payables and earnings. Vision brings you that plus more. What we really enjoy about using Vision is the integration of CC payments, Ease of use, ability to track and manage our shops productivity for each job, and the ability to properly charge for the services that we provide. Vision has helped bring value to our business and it will yours too!

Cons

I would like to see an iPad app that would allow us to create and close work orders from, inventory counts etc.

RD

Roseanne D.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Glad for the customer support

Glad we have the application and it's support team.

Pros

As far as the software, we like the inventory, account setup, accounts receivable, and accounts payable features the most. We also like the integrated credit card processing. Customer support for VISION is great. You get real people right away (very good thing during a time that requires a call to support.) They listen, respond, follow up. And they're patient and kind about it.

Cons

Like most applications, one must learn to work with it's little quirks. The billing feature is our least favorite. It seems to take longer to get good at using it, however, that may make sense, as it is likely one of the more complicated features in the application.

KM

Karl M.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

The system makes bad general ledger entries on vehicle sales. The financials can't be trusted.

I am learning how to continually monitor and manage software errors.

Pros

Nothing and the support staff answers are lacking. "That's weird" is not resolution. Plus simply does not support their product.

Cons

Incorrect general ledger entries. I am the controller for a truck dealership in Philadelphia, PA. The inventory management system and the purchase order system crash frequently. When I pointed out the issues to Adam de Yong, the operations manager at Pluss. His response is no it doesn't. The system does not behave as the support staff expects either. A trusted IT professional believes our database may be corrupted. Pluss has denied and ignored my requests to investigate that possibility.

Hello Karl, Please refer to our full response to Catherine regarding this. We have not had any luck reaching out despite several attempts and would ask for you to please contact us so we can readdress these issues. Thank You Karl.

Michelle C.

Best Value in the Market for Decades

Pros

Comprehensive, powerful and easy to learn. When using all of the features you get a great deal of control over your shop. You know how long it takes to get jobs done, which techs are efficient at which jobs and how inventory moves. You have many powerful tools at your finger tips. We have compared it to every software on the market and there is not one out there that is a better value for a Heavy Truck Shop.

Cons

It can be cumbersome and a bit old fashion and does not lend itself to newer formats and applications. It does so much that you can't learn it all. The reports leave a bit to be desired but they promise me they are working on that.