Canvas X Draw Reviews

User ratings

4.5

• Likelihood to recommend8.58/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

In general I like it a lot, if you are a digital illustrator like me it can be very useful and especially to change a little from other design applications.
I highly recommend Canvas X Draw To students, particularly in science and engineering. I am very pleased that Canvas GFXis reaching out to customers and making great efforts to further improve it.
I also appreciate that they do offer a non-subscription version of the product. So far the customer service has also been excellent and very responsive.
I was at a loss when the product was discontinued for a while, and immediately came back onboard when it was reborn.
The thing that most upsets me is it appears i can no longer have a copy on my work computer and one on my home computer.
I get this message at home: This computer has been deactivated from your membership. This is a problem because at home is where i am able to play with Canvas and figure out how it works.

Canvas X Draw users...

Microsoft PowerPoint-logocaret

Microsoft PowerPoint

Adobe Acrobat Reader-logocaret

Adobe Acrobat Reader

How would you rate Canvas X Draw?

CANVAS an excellent software for preparation of research figures

Good

Pros

Easy to use. Great options to organise and arrange the figures. Possibilities to save in several different formats.

Cons

Hard to find pictures commonly used in research as a cartoon already in canvas. Can not convert figures made in mac to windows.

Feeback from a longtime Canvas user

I make many technical drawings with Canvas and it's my go-to program for making 2D drawings of objects that I then import into Fusion 360 and then on to 3D printing and CNC routing.

Pros

Very versatile, good file format compatibility, excellent for 2D technical drawings, many unique features. Wish list - better/quicker Mac development, 3D support.

Cons

The interface feels dated. I would prefer if the standard keyboard shortcuts adhered better to industry standards (ie Adobe). Metric sometimes feels like an afterthought. I've used Canvas since the original version 3, development hasn't been particularly impressive since then (20 + years...)

Canvas X Draw Delivers

The overall experience with Canvas X Draw has been great. A fantastic product!

Pros

I have used various iterations of Canvas since the late 1990s. It is hands down the most powerful, versatile, and user-friendly software product for scientists. I have used it throughout the years for image construction, figure arrangement, and scientific poster creation. It is my go-to solution for all of my publication needs. I have used this software to open files created with previous versions of Canvas that were more than 15 years old.

Cons

There is very little that this software cannot do.

Designing

I have designed needlework patterns and sold them worldwide since 1991. I have always used Canvas.

Pros

Producing step by step instructions with the layers

Cons

I do not having any negative comments about the software. It has been the best for me from the beginning.

Problems using Canvas X Draw after updating to Big Sur

The main concern/complain is the lack of total support after upgrading to Big Sur. No response to the link provided after the company was sold to a 3rd party. Very upsetting. If this is not solved promptly, I will consider switching to an alternative option!!!! You must improve your support and make sure that the software package works with the latest version of the Mac iOS. And please do not take weeks to make it to work with the current Mac iOS. Otherwise it is a waste of my time and money!!!!!!!

Pros

Long term user, very familiar with the software package.

Cons

Software is fine to me as it was when I was able to use it before updating to Big Sur!

highly recommended helps to organize the drawing in the document, very practical

in my opinion it is very good, and completes the tools, the charts and graphs they have are easy to use and practical, with a precise interpretation of the data

Pros

I like it a lot because it makes it easier for me to organize my projects at work, the tools are very good and advanced

Cons

that sometimes it stops, only that hangs but only on occasions

Canvas

I work in product design, engineering and manufacturing. Canvas allows me a consistent way to communicate thru the lifecycle, and share that in an effective way with my eco-partners.

Pros

I've used canvas since Deneba Software developed it. A cross platform, easy to use, raster/vector design package was revolutionary then, and is now. Team supports new tool development, and has my loyalty. The full package.

Cons

My yearly subscription seems to be mixed up, but nothing to do with the SW. IT ROCKS.

Excellent drafting program for MAC users

I've a MAC computer and use CANVAS X Draw for technical publications, proposals, and book chapters.

Pros

The ability to copy and paste equations from WORD

Cons

The inability to graph an equation, like y = f(x). This graphic limitation forces me to use a third party product for graphics to follow by a 'copy and paste'.

un très bon logiciel pour les plan

Pros

Il est facile, ouvre différent format comme PDF, autocad

Cons

la banque des objets prédéfinie est faible.

Showing original review in French. See translation

An All-Around Tool for Illustrating

I have used Canvas for years, and needed an upgrade so I could access my older illustrations. The new version operates on my new 64-bit Mac and has all the features and capabilities (and perhaps new ones I have not discovered yet) of earlier versions. I have tried other apps, but they fall short of what Canvas can do.

Pros

Its versatility and capability to accomplish a wide variety of drawing/illustrating

Cons

The photo cropping tool is not very intuitive

best program that I think is good value for your customers

a program with a good user interface and very easy to use

Pros

its easy-to-use style and its great tools with very simple use for the user

Cons

tool rents need improvement for a fluid flow of their resources to the user and updating tools more often

Canvas user since version 3.5

Pros

Canvas is unrivaled in its ease of use in combining vector and image graphics. For presentations, it allows me to combine complicated text and equation (via LaTeX) with detailed graphics from CAD applications to Photoshop images. Output to standard graphics formats works well.

Cons

Some features are lacking compared to the Windows version of Canvas or even Canvas X for MacOS, for example Math Expression Plot.

A very good software

I have been using this software for scientific publication for the last 20+ years. I can't find another one that is better. I haven't had any problems with the current version (the previous beta version for Mac Big Sur does not work well with Powerpoint and occasionally quits by itself.)

Pros

Has many features but be easily operative.

Cons

Bring all parts together for a composite figure, and each part can be feasibly controlled in size, moved in precision, labeled feasibly, and aligned well.

Using Canvas X Draw

Overall, I love the program. But in my use, I have just scratched the surface of what it is capable of.

Pros

It is free form. For example, using layers you can trace over JPEGs and create a vector object. It can do almost anything you wish to do with a graphic program. It is also fast.

Cons

Stability was an issue early on. that has been fixed! It has met all my needs thus far.

Canvas X Draw: versatile and user- friendly interface

Canvas X Draw has been extremely important in my drawing geologic maps and associated geologic cross sections and diagrams.

Pros

Its interface and tools are user friendly and relatively esay to learn and use especially for users who go all the way back to old Canvas 3.5.

Cons

There are more crashes than I expected, but almost all data are saved when crashed occur. There are times when some of the tools/shortcuts fail to work (e.g., cloning).

Longtime User of Canvas

I love being able to modify images to fit my precise needs for a lecture.

Pros

I have been using Canvas for modifying and creating images for my teaching slides for over 20 years. I am a Mac user and was very upset when they stopped supporting the Mac product and I was very happy when they introduced Canvas Draw.

Cons

It can be difficult to figure out how to do some things and the manual isn't always helpful.

Best all around Mac graphics app.

It's like the Swiss Army knife of graphics apps for the Mac.

Pros

All in one capability. It runs native on the Mac.

Cons

Photo manipulation is a little long in the tooth compared to some of the new products on the market. Doesn't seem to have all the functionality of the PC version but good enough for my purposes. It doesn't presently run on the iPad but, if it did, it would be super wonderful.

Polyvalent and easy Drawing solution

Drawing everyday documents that need illustrations and text with complete positioning freedom in one package

Pros

Replaces Photoshop Illustrator and Indesign for companies that do not need perfectly exact compatibility with big printing companies

Cons

A bit slow on following Apple new system versions

Simple Project Plans

We save a ton of money by being able to do our design work in house and not going to a vender to provide this service. Besides the maintenance projects that I design I also use this program to create and maintain our school maps which include the school site layout, utility shut-offs, alarm pads, fire alarm locations, emergency evacuation routes, security gates and cameras, etc.

Pros

This software is packed with features. More then I will use as my use of the program is to design maintenance work for the maintenance department and for small contractor projects. I love the layers feature this program has.

Cons

To be honest the cons I have is that I am still learning this program. I have used other computer assisted programs and this one is quite good without a real steep learning curve. Having said that there is still more for me to learn as I have not yet reached its full potential. Still, several projects have been successfully completed being designed by me using Canvas X Draw.

Longtime user

I have been using Canvas for designing parts for my business for over 20 years. It is relatively inexpensive and easy to use compared to other drafting programs. Does everything I need it to do.

Pros

Easy to use Can be used to review Files sent by AutoCad users

Cons

Has occasionally crashed causing me to lose unsaved work

Canvas Draw

I have been using Canvas since it was first created by Deneba in the 1990's and have used this program for some very sophisticated and large graphics (e.g. mapping with more than 15k separate elements).

Pros

Ability to work with a variety of graphic formats.

Cons

It crashes more than it should (i.e. 1:20)

Best overall graphics app for biomedical research

I have used Canvas since it first was introduced in late 1980s from Deneba. I continued to use it during the dismal years that it was no longer offered for the Mac (by running PC emulation software - it was horrid, but I did it). When it was reconfigured for the Mac world, I was ecstatic and have continued to use it.

Pros

I've always loved the combination of vector graphics and image software in one package that I get with Canvas and its availability to Mac users. I also like the interface and constant improvements that are now being made.

Cons

Integration with Powerpoint and Prism software apps are functionalities that are lacking and greatly desired.

A Swiss-Army knife for graphics

I have been using Canvas for 27 years (since version 3.0), and it is my go-to app for everything graphics. I highly recommended it.

Pros

Canvas has extensive tools for both vector and bitmap graphics, which combined make it a one-stop solution for all my graphics needs. Very deep zoom levels and fractional alignment let me get things exactly right. I've used this software for everything from documenting wire layouts to high-precision logo work.

Cons

I'm not sure of any "cons". I don't think I have ever started a project in Canvas and then gone to a different graphics package because of limitations.

Templates, autotrace

I can use it with ease - small learning curve - good results on final PDF.

Pros

Ease of use - pixel and SVG mixed - multipage - clear menus

Cons

Not enough templates - autotrace not so good... not enough Web export possibilities... Old UI...

PH_Canvas_Review

Great...

Pros

Using this SW since early 2000 - easy handle and possibility having a Drawing platform on the Mac...

Cons

Little details - but I might not have read the right section of the Manual...