Descript Logo

Descript

Transcription management and video & audio editing software

Descript Reviews - Page 2

Danielle N.

Design, self-employed

A video/audio editing tool that fits the way my brain works

I love that Descript lets me edit video by editing a transcript. In the past, planning my edit - because of how my brain was working - I practically ended up with a handwritten transcript. I thought: there's got to be a tool that will do this automatically. Then along came Descript! Descript is a pretty robust tool for editing video and audio. They seem to be headed toward making it a full featured tool that can do it all. However, my background is in Adobe Premiere Pro, and right now it's not worth my time and energy to learn to use Descript instead. But Descript has been a very helpful supplement.

Pros

Descript has many amazing features - even ones that I would have never thought of to wish for. Here are some of the features that most impressed me. I love being able to edit video or audio recordings simply by editing the transcript. You can edit within the same file, or you can open another file in a separate window and copy/paste the sections you want from the original file - which remains intact....

Cons

The accuracy of the automatic transcription can be a bit hit or miss. British accents are notoriously problematic. Not only does the app misinterpret words, but the rhythm of the person's speech can cause the app to put the wrong punctuations in all the wrong places. If the transcript needs a lot of editing, I'll put the whole transcript in Edit Mode. But I often need to play back a section of audio...

Cameron S.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

The podcast editing tool that has helped us scale our podcast editing agency

Descript helps my team collaborate with clients on their podcast episodes. Hosts give us their recordings and then they leave us feedback in the form of comments on the transcript. It makes communication clear for everyone on our team and the collaboration features make it possible for us to have our remote team. We are able to help our clients sound their best with the filler word detection, something that would not be an effective option if we were editing with audio alone.

Pros

I love how easy it is to edit audio using the auto transcription. It allows for other great features like filler word and word gap detection/removal. The integration with Zapier allows us to import new media, and the publishing integrations allow us to export to hosts and other apps we use in our clients workflows.

Cons

For more advanced editing, I wish there were integrations with Adobe Audition that would make it easy to locate spots that have been commented on and then reimport or sync the changes. For our workflow, I would also love if we could utilize an API to directly integrate Descript with our workflow rather than needing to utilize Zapier.

EM

Emily M.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Made scaling my podcast agency so easy!

We've been able to scale from one podcast client to 20+ in less than a year, and have onboarded 2 editors. It's making it possible for my business to scale rapidly, and revenue to skyrocket!

Pros

I love that I'm able to collaborate with my editing team so that we can implement quick changes from clients no matter who is available. It was super easy to bring in new team members and train them on the workflow as well. I also love how the transcripts make it so much faster than other apps to edit - the combo of seeing words + waveforms (and the search/delete option) cut editing time in half.

Cons

Clicking and dragging still needs some work, not sure yet about the new toolbar. I also really would like to be able to use VSTs to denoise easier, right now the workflow starts in Audition or Pro Tools for any processing (our clients honestly don't understand that they need to record in quiet spaces) and then we bring it into Descript to do the edit.

BR

Beau R.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Game Changer

Overall it's great. As I said earlier, for people who are not experienced with editing software who need to create videos, audio files, podcasts, etc, it's a game changer in terms of ease of use, productivity, and enabling people with not video/audio editing skills.

Pros

Many startups with new products use the terms disruptive, game changer, etc. But, in the end few actually are. Based on my experience, Descript is one of those products that really is a game changer. They've taken a fundamentally different approach to video and audio editing by applying a universally familiar document editing UX to video and audio editing. This removes much of the complexity of traditional editing software and puts it into a format that's accessible by virtually anyone. The integrated transcription function is really useful and the Overdub feature is very cool for being able to make edits without re-recording and splicing in audio. And the way it's all integrated with the cloud with one click publishing makes the usability very smooth and frictionless.

Cons

As with any type of new software and when there's a new UX concept, there is a learning curve and things don't always work the way you would expect. Some people experienced with traditional editing software may find the UX a little limiting, but I don't think that's the type of user Descript is targeting with this solution. I've found the learning curve to be very fast at the beginning , so you can...

Media Production, 51-200 employees

Not yet stable enough for professional use

Pros

This is could be a game changing piece of software. it combines transcription and audio editing into one. The option to collaborate in the cloud like a google doc opens up many possibilities. But there is one big downside....

Cons

It is not yet reliable enough. There have been two occasions in last few months where Descript just stopped working. I lost days' worth of work on broadcast critical projects. The first time an entire project wouldn't open and just hung. That meant all of the work for an entire podcast episode was inaccessible. I contacted tech support and tweeted them. I heard nothing back. After a friday and weekend...

JM

Jordan M.

Media Production, self-employed

An Amazing Podcast Editing Tool!

Descript has definitely helped me grow my workflow. I'm exporting and transferring files way less. And it has also allowed me to dive into simple video editing for video podcasts and social clips.

Pros

Really love how easy it is to edit audio and video with text. Searching for specific phrases or moments via text instead of scrolling and trying to find it saves so much time!

Cons

The audio mixing features are still a bit lacking in my mind, especially if you get into a more complicated composition. But I work around by mixing and exporting audio in Pro Tools and dragging it in for the edit and music!

RM

Rowan M.

Entertainment, self-employed

Excellent for podcast editing

I love Descript and have recommended it to several other podcast editors who now use it too. I use it for a "story edit" of each episode, taking the full audio then chopping and rearranging it, plus taking out filler words etc. You can do compression/EQ/music/bumpers/etc. in Descript but I prefer to export to a full blown DAW for that part. Descript would be great for this stuff if you are editing your own podcast and audio engineering isn't your primary focus.

Pros

Being able to edit text and have that automatically edit the audio is an amazing time saver. I was skeptical of the quality of edits this would provide, but 95% of the time the cross fades etc. it adds are spot on. For that 5% of the time where it's not quite right, you can easily adjust things using the waveform editor.

Cons

The transcription service seems to have been primarily trained on white/European-descent speakers. I've edited several episodes with African guests and the transcription is awful. You can still use it to edit the audio OK, with some laughs at the mistakes it made. But, if you want to publish a transcript then you're basically rewriting the whole thing.

RJ

Rohit J.

Broadcast Media, self-employed

Most amazing audio editing tool I’ve used in 20 years

I love editing audio and video again. I feel like I’m editing a taking Word Document. Simply amazing. Try it and you won’t go back to editing only using a waveform.

Pros

This is a whole new way to edit audio and video content. I love the fact that there are frequent updates and new features. Simply amazing to edit content.

Cons

Not much in terms of audio processing. No noise reduction, etc.

TJ

Timothy J.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

This Ai software is like no other

I love this software it is one of the most realistic Ai text to speech out there in 2022 hands down. You can adjust the spelling of the word if the Ai does not pronounce it correctly and adjust the length of time between words in increments. I've loaded 1,000 words in at a time or more with no problem and it only takes a minute or two to process then it's ready to go, in other words, it is fast.

Pros

1) I like the realistic-sounding voices 2) I like the large selection of voices 3) I like the ability to change the pitch and speed of each voice 4) I like the male and female options 5) I like the fact that you can copy and paste large amounts of text at one time to edit 6)

Cons

1) The learning curve can be a bit much 2) Not enough tutorials that get right to the point

JA

Jeff A.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Five Stars Across the Board

It's been wonderful. Since I discovered this at Podcast Movement in 2019 it's revolutionized production on the show. I've also used it to in my day job too to help my company do training videos. It's a software I use everyday.

Pros

Descript is so easy to use. It's cut down the editing time for our podcast interviews and the overall show while increasing our quality. With the ongoing new features too, like Overdub and the ability to generate Audiograms, the service continues to get better. The transcripts have also allowed us to increase the accessibility for our podcast and the generated videos while helping to keep costs down (and as the AI continues to improve, our time to correct transcripts as also gone down)

Cons

The feature that needs attention is how the software deals with silence. Long silences are treated as "speakers" with the AI is deciding who it detects speaking. That causes issues with transcript correction. In addition, things that are actual silence can be removed, such as laughter or crosstalking or words the AI might not know. That adds extra editing time so those things are part of the final product. I'm hoping this aspect gets updated soon.

DB

Deborah B.

E-Learning, self-employed

Language compression for better listening

I am committed to continuing with Descript since it enables an ease of editing I haven’t found anywhere else.

Pros

My favorite aspect of this software is the ability to delete filler words, shorten pauses between phrases and make my guests sound so much better than they do in the rough interview track. I love being able to edit the audio file by deleting things from the transcribed text and being able to go back and forth between editing in the text and editing in the audio file. The last episode I edited on descript cut 20 minutes off the interview. Then I bring that edited track into garage band to add intro/outro music, etc. ( i know I’m supposed to be able to do all this inside descript but I haven’t taken the time to learn how to do that.

Cons

Poor transcription of non native speakers. Not knowing how to add in existing transcript and match it with the raw interview track before editing.

Zaiba S.

Internet, 201-500 employees

For Perfect Transcriptions

This is a must-have product that will simplify your life. You won't realize how much time it saves until you use it. Fortunately, there is a fantastic free trial to try it out. The shortcuts are really useful and will save you a significant amount of time. There is a lot to learn, but once you do, the software will save your life.

Pros

1. Descript's key feature is how it transcribes your audio and converts it into an editable word document. I was astounded to discover how simple it was to effectively cut and paste words while simultaneously moving the audio waveforms. 2. It makes use of the Google speech to text engine, which has been demonstrated to be the market leader in numerous studies. 3. Transcripts are attractive and are designated by individuals. With just one click, you can securely send transcripts with video or audio.

Cons

1. It becomes slow with time, and you must pay to utilize it on a regular basis. 2. Although the automatic, entry-level version of Descript has a transcribing accuracy of roughly 95%, there are still grammatical problems. 3. It takes longer than I expected to look over transcriptions and revise them later, so I have to spend more time correcting the transcripts even during my working hours.

AH

April H.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

I use Descript for multiple things!

Editing video and audio for podcasts is so much easier in Descript. I can see exactly what I am editing out and it has made my workflow about twice as fast!

Pros

I love that to edit the audio or video, you just make the edits in the transcription instead of trying to find the exact place in the audio file. Makes it so much easier! My favorite is that it can take out all the "filler words" like "um" in about 2 clicks and make the audio sound great! So much faster than how I was doing it before with having to listen and take them out one at a time.

Cons

There are constant updates to the software, about 1 a week. This can be annoying since there is always a pop-up that says you need to update and restart almost everytime I open the app. Also, if you have multiple accounts (I have multiple clients I work with), it is hard to sign out of one account and then sign into another. Not sure why this isn't straightforward, but often when I sign out of one account and then try to sign into another, it just puts me back into the same account.

AC

Adam C.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

You can build your whole business around Descrtip

Huge time-saver. I look forward to creating video clips and editing audio (it makes a tedious experience more fun!). But more than anything it has allowed us to systematize our process in a way that wasn't possible before. We can do things now that would have required extensive domain knowledge before.

Pros

What I love most about Descript is that it makes the process of creating audio and video clips (as well as editing for podcast episodes) super simple. I also love how often the team updates the software and releases new features. I feel like my trust in Descript is well-placed.

Cons

I wish there was more flexibility in the export options. For example, we can do 90% of our audiogram/videogram workflow in Descript, but we still have to move into something like Adobe Premiere for that last 10%. If there were just a few more customization options, we could do 100% in Descript. That said, many of the features I love didn't exist in the beginning, so I'm confident it will eventually get there, and am not worried in the slightest about building our processes and systems around Descript.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

project editor for visual learners

Overall it's an innovative product and a lot more cost-effective than others on the market. It may not be perfect but it has helped me a lot in my projects. A clever virtual multi-tool for creators.

Pros

I like that I can edit a video based on the visual transcription, The AI and that while I'm recording I get a transcription simultaneously. The features I desire most are a dark mode feature, a chroma key feature so I can add light overlay and animation. I would also like a pause feature added to screen recording and voice recording because I use this to help me think in between recording without stopping the session. And please fix bugs such a lagging. And the integrations I would recommend are Audacity, Davinci Resolve, and Anchor FM because that is what I use.

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches if I am working in multiple windows and Ill get error codes. Sometimes it's hard to place tracks on the timeline, You click where you want it to go and it goes somewhere else in the project. I want some filler words to stay included and it's hard for me to figure out how to keep them. When I record audio and mess up, the overdub function doesn't pop up when I right-click. I wish the zoom and pan were smoother looking.

AC

Alex C.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Descript has great features for Podcasters, but lacks in areas for Professional Video Editors

Descript has been a daily tool my team and I use for transcription, podcast editing, and audio editing. It's an amazing tool for seamless collaboration with clients and internal teams without constantly having to upload and download files. And an great tool to add basic cuts and B-roll to clips, however it does have its own set of bugs and a learning curve for new users

Pros

- Very easy to transcribe audio and manipulate any transcription error- Great collaboration tool with clients and team review, without sending the project file back and forth- Great tool for finding and downloading broll for video- Very easy to add captions to video

Cons

- Several bugs throughout (the issues changes throughout each update)- No offline mode solution (You have to upload media files to the cloud every time, large files can a long time- A bit of a learning curve for video editing features

Venture Capital & Private Equity, 201-500 employees

A Game-Changer for media production teams

Descript has really changed the way I produce podcasts and other media. It gives me more control and helps complete many tasks at once. I like that I can get a transcript, and edit the text AND audio at the same time. I haven't even used all the features available, but excited to work with more video projects in Descript.

Pros

What I like the most about using Descript, is that it allows me to use 1 tool for many of my needs. Previously I would have to use 3-4 different sites/tools to get the job done. It also allows me to make media (podcasts) more on my own time, instead of relying on freelancers and others.

Cons

It does seem to take a lot for my computer to process using Descript. I haven't run into any issues yet and have an upgraded computer, but could see an issue if I'm traveling or had less capacity.

Yann I.

Online Media, self-employed

A must-have for every video content creator

Pros

I have been using Descript for a while now, and have noticed a new series of features being added to the platform. However, even though those additions have been more than welcome, what I consider the platform's top feature is something that has been at its core for quite some time: Descript's transcription tool. In particular, I was really impressed by the accuracy of the transcription tool's AI. If I had to estimate, I would say that the accuracy of the transcriptions Descript has done for my video content has been around 90%, which is really good.

Cons

While the transcription tool has been very good and accurate, I feel that its user interface could be improved. In fact, it has happened to me a few times to accidentally delete parts of a video (since Descript can be used for video editing too), while I was trying to edit some of the captions/subtitles that were created by the tool's automated transcription feature. Luckily, I have also noticed this in time but this could have very well have led to a video having missing parts because of this "accident".

Design, 1-10 employees

Made My Podcasting so Much Easier!

I love how simple it is to cut down audio, take out sentences you don't want and edit out silences. I love the automatic syncing of audio files. My cohost and I are long distance and record audio on Zencaster which allows us to have separate audio files! Descript seamlessly matches them up. Descript saves me so much time while editing!

Pros

What I love the most is that when you delete audio from the timeline, it never actually disappears. You can easily go back in and re-add something you took out earlier. It doesn't rely on undo only, if you took out a sentence early on and decided after half an hour of editing you want that sentence back in, its right there. Incredible.

Cons

I don't like the organization on the home page, I don't quite understand the folders. I like organization and not being able to archive my finished edits versus the edits I still need to do is a bit frustrating but easy to overlook!

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great Podcast Editing And Transcribing Tool.

We have three podcasts that we work on every week and this software has made editing of the audio and transcribing very easy. We are able to deliver quality podcasts and transcripts for publishing. The platform allows for collaboration on projects with the team members.

Pros

It is user friendly and doesn't require much experience in video and audio editing. Filler words and word gap detection and removal are great features. The export and publish features allow for sharing and publishing the content to other applications. It transcribes very fast and it's great in identifying and assigning speakers. It is easy to cut and paste words while moving the audio waveforms. It also does a great job of matching separate audio files.

Cons

Stability of the software is a great concern. Sometimes it just freezes and you can't access the project you are working on. There is also more that can be done on the sound effects.

Cindy B.

Consumer Services, self-employed

The easiest podcast editor I found.

I am a new podcaster and I'm in love with Descript. I can't afford to pay an editor and Descript suits my needs. I believe I can even use it to record the podcast but I haven't played with that yet.

Pros

Descript takes all the filler sounds out of your recording - um, uh, etc. You can shorten long pauses - dead air. I love editing from the transcript. I have a mild tremor so fiddling with the usual sound editing software is difficult. It takes forever to get it at just the right spot. With Descript, I make the change in the transcript and Descript makes the change in the audio. I can delete words or whole sentences. I can even move things around. I believe you can train it to your voice so you can add words to the transcript and the audio file will sound like it was there from the start. It's magical!

Cons

If I want to use the transcription for other purposes, like a blog, it requires a lot of editing. Sometimes sentences aren't structured right and sometimes words are wrong. It's not all that time consuming, just annoying.

zs

zerouali s.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

i really liked my Description experience

I was impressed with the variety of features offered by this description website for audio and video editing. These features included speech recognition, call recording, automatic transcription, audio editing, screen recording, audio recording, and video montage. This made it a comprehensive platform for me to create and edit audio and video content.

Pros

I was able to get a transcript of my audio recordings in just a few

Cons

I found it difficult to cut, paste, and adjust the volume of my audio files.

WM

William M.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

The best in the industry!

Making an all audio podcast sound clean is the bread and butter of this app. It has made me love editing my show!

Pros

A must use tool for any podcast company. Editing has never been more streamlined.

Cons

Video editing the s close but I use three cameras and two to three audio sources. Multicam needs to be more streamlined

SS

Scott S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Magical software of the future for audio + video + text editing

It's an incredible tool that we use for all our podcasts and videos. It saves tons of time and improves quality and allows tight collaboration. It's a magical use of AI technology for audio and video editing.

Pros

The killer feature of this product is the ability to edit text and audio or video simultaneously. You can edit each and the other immediately updates, so it's possible to "read" your entire show as well as edit in depth by words or by frames or samples when necessary. It's wonderful to have the whole project in the cloud with comments shared like a Google Doc for collaboration. The automatic transcription works pretty well with clear speakers. Exporting to audio files or DAW projects works well.

Cons

The automatic edits at word boundaries can be a little rough and need hand touching up. Sometimes the software needs to be restarted to take into account a new update. Occasional slipping of time or data due to software updates or collaboration. Could still use a "stem" export function in addition to flattened audio and DAW projects. It would be great to improve automated transcription further, but this is a hard problem.

Alice K.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Descript is the only video editing software you will ever need.

Pros

I'm not a video editor by any means. In fact, I've been using all sorts of different software over the past few years and I just didn't find anything that was really easy to use -- until Descript. As somebody who is a heavy content creator, I needed to start creating video content and it was really hard because I had to rely on others to edit the videos for me. Now with Descript I can do it myself...

Cons

It takes a LONG time to download high-quality videos.