Descript Logo

Descript

Transcription management and video & audio editing software

Descript Reviews - Page 3

AL

Andrew L.

Primary/Secondary Education, self-employed

Fast and Easy - Completely changed my editorial process for the better

The work involved in keeping audio and the content it represented connected in my mind was overwhelming before Descript. The result was that edits that might have improved my podcast ended up not happening due to time constraints. Not only has Descript saved me time, but made the final product more coherent and stronger.

Pros

The speed with which I can turn recorded audio into something I can meaningfully edit from without having to listen and re-listen and try to keep audio sections in mind.

Cons

I would like additional audio processing options (AU plug-in support?), and there are still times where a new update will significantly slow down the application. The ability to watch / listen to published pages on mobile still seems somewhat lacking.

MF

Marissa F.

Entertainment, self-employed

Game Changer for Audio Editors

I think the biggest change is that it makes my podcast editing experience more enjoyable. I feel more in touch with what I’m putting out into the world, and better able to edit and parse it. Despite my tech proficiency, I struggle with the frequent UI changes and have yet to make the audio recording feature work, so I have to import my audio from another program; if there were fuller audio controls I could really make it a one-stop shop for my podcast creation.

Pros

I was skeptical that editing audio in this way would result in a good-sounding podcast, but it has made the editing process so much clearer. Lots of great little features enable me to make content that I can push to socials as well!

Cons

The software frequently updates with significant changes to where things are placed and stored and no explanation of these changes. The auto-transcription is riddled with errors that it’s a little tedious to correct. Too many features are behind a SECOND tier paywall. Some of these things I get (the high-tech voice generation feature seems with extra money) but it seems odd that as a paying subscriber I can’t, say, replace the Descript logo in my audiograms.

Blake P.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Descript: The Megatron of Podcast Software

I can't thank the company enough for creating this software. We're really benefitting from its capacity and feature-load.

Pros

I don't know where to begin with this software and how it has formatively changed the game for my organization's podcast. It has truly cut our work time in half and opened up that free time to accomplish other tasks. From the auto-transcription to the voice recognition, Descript seamlessly integrates audio into text form which helps us build our scripts for each podcast episode. It's fascinating how powerful it is - and what's more, Descript is constantly updating the software, so new features are always popping up.

Cons

The cost is definitely hard for our limited nonprofit budget, but otherwise, I don't have any dislikes-- even the mistakes the auto-transcription makes are passable because we're still saving so much time.

CC

Cyn C.

Motion Pictures and Film, 1-10 employees

Descript - audio and text editing

Pros

The transcription and editing capabilities is are what I use most. I can edit a podcast and have it blog ready in a very short amount of time. I like that I can edit out filler words painlessly with the touch of a button. Also, the tutorials have been a huge help AND the couple of times I've needed to reach out for help, I've found the Customer Support to be responsive and friendly. No downtime necessary to get my questions answered in a fast and timely manner.

Cons

I'd like to see the voice recognition and transcription continue to be improved. Descript does a great job, but the better it becomes, the faster I get due to having less corrections. Still, my editing is a simpler process now than it was before.

Lance W.

Law Practice, 201-500 employees

Descript is a gamechanger!

Fantastic. Couldn’t be happier.

Pros

We do a smaller podcast, and it’s cut the editing time in half. The ability to automatically delete filler words and audio gaps has been a major timesaver and the software keeps evolving. The company listens to users and makes changes accordingly. Looking forward to see where it goes from here.

Cons

I have no real complaints. The editing tool can sometimes be a bit wonky, but I think it’s note user error than a problem with the tool.

Evo T.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

My go-to transcription and text-based assembly service!

It's a solid product that, as mentioned, will change the way podcasts are made in the future.

Pros

Descript is changing the way the next generation will make podcasts. And for old dogs like me too! It's a refreshing break from the DAW-focused world we live in today.

Cons

It's still a bit buggy on my M1 Mac, with frequent crashes/restarts. Always recoverable, but it does make me reticent to more integrate the tool into my workflow.

CC

Carol C.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

A game changer for my content creation!

I've been using Descript for some time now, and I have to say that the software is amazing. It does have somewhat of a learning curve to get started with it, but the time and effort is worth it. It allows you to take long-form audio or video and turn it into multiple short-form pieces. This is a gamechanger because it means you can turn an hour long video into short clips that you can post on social media. I also think the overdub feature comes in handy at certain times to prevent me from having to do retakes just to fix a tiny word mistake I may have made.

Pros

The biggest strength of the Descript is its ability to cut video directly from the transcript. This saves so much time because you don't have to go back and forth between apps or do any editing before you can share your video on social media or other platforms. Another strength of Descript is that it allows me to remove filler words like "uhm" and "ah" from my videos really quickly. This helps me cut down on excess wordage so I can create shorter clips for social media posts without losing anything important in the process!

Cons

Like all software, Descript isn’t perfect. My biggest gripe with it is its transcription. It’s not the most accurate I’ve experienced. But it seems to be improving over time. Another con is that it does struggle with larger video files in my experience, and there are bugs that consistently have to be ironed out. However, with that said, the team does continue to work and improve the quality.

CW

Catherine W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Great quality and easy to use

Pros

I am a complete novice when it comes to recording. I have found Descript easy to use, fantastic that I can see the transcript and manipulate it to get the recording that I need. The drag and drop of video and music is so easy and brilliant. And when I asked a sound technician to check my quality he was impressed with the sound. The room tone is a great addition

Cons

I don't know what I don't know - I don't know what other options there are. Other than that I have found it great.

CE

Chris E.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Take the frustration out of audio/video editing.

Pros

I love that Descript makes editing video and audio content so easy. And the transcriptions are so accurate it's scary! This software has saved me countless hours but more importantly removes so many barriers that keep people from getting started with creating video and audio content.

Cons

The editor UI is a bit clunky and compressed, I feel like the editor area should be larger which might make it even easier to use.

CM

Cardinal M.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Versatile - we use Descript for everything

Descript is my #1. We use it for making training videos, editing podcasts, recording client meetings, writing website copy… the list goes on. I am always recommending it to my friends.

Pros

I love how I can edit the text and that changes the audio and video along with it.

Cons

Doing more complicated video editing can get a little clunky but that is perhaps just due to user error.

MJ

Madeline J.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Descript is a life saver!

Pros

It's a life saver for editing audio. Never again will I edit audio blindly - Descript is SO helpful in storytelling, and scripting narrations, and overall getting a better grasp on what you have in your audio. I love being able to add multiple compositions into a single project - it keeps things wonderfully organized.

Cons

The recent update to removing filler words has been cutting off words from either side of the filler word.

MB

Mark B.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Game Changing Audio Editor

Pros

Descript has changed how I work in documentary audio. It's so much faster and easier to try new story ideas, pull selects, and get a rough mix ready. I've used the app since pre-release in 2017, and they've added great new features at a relentless pace. I can't imagine working without a tool like Descript.

Cons

With new features, the app has gotten more sluggish and more cluttered. Writing text makes my laptop get extremely hot and the fans rev up. I can't work for long on battery power. A release focused on speed, stability, resource efficiency, and cleaning up the interface is sorely needed.

Kevan L.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Best editing experience I've ever had

Love Descript. I use it for all my audio/video projects, and the quality of my content is way better because of Descript

Pros

Descript is the easiest editing software I've ever used. I'm no multimedia expert, but I felt so capable of creating great content thanks to Descript's product features. The editor feature in particular - with how you can cut and paste within the transcript itself - is phenomenal

Cons

There are some subtleties to the product that are difficult to learn. I had to watch some help videos multiple times to be able to understand, especially when it came to importing and combining multiple audio files.

PH

Paul H.

E-Learning, self-employed

Descript hooks you with great features and let's you down when you REALLY need them.

I was VERY helpful and now I depend on it. It fails more than it works for me now and support sends me the same answers from their email samples. I REALLY need it today and support just LAYS there!

Pros

I love ALL the great features! When they work! Please don't depend on them though!

Cons

Worthless boilerplate support answers for PAID users. No REAL help for problems.

AA

Alan A.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Descript - Saves You Time and Money

This has been a huge time saver in that I no longer have to outsource the audio and video editing. Also, using the screen recording feature allows me to communicate what is on my screen. I can edit the ums and ahs out and clean up the recording before I share the video with team members or clients. This saves time in having to type out what a tricky customer service type problem might entail.

Pros

I really like that as a person with no audio or video editing experience, I can create useable short audio and video content for social media, websites and for sharing information. I no longer have to outsource this editing work to Fivrr.

Cons

As the product grows and more features are added, it become harder to learn the system if you have no editing background.

Sen Z.

Broadcast Media, 1-10 employees

Huge timer saver, with some details to be improved

I'm happy to use this software for everything to do with speech editing - it saves an enormous amount of time in post-production, and also allows editing as you record. I was disappointed by the Overdub feature - still lots of improvements to be made in terms of natural-sounding speech, but I'm sure this is being improved with each iteration.

Pros

Using the transcription to edit audio and video completely changes the game - so much time is saved by being able to use the text to guide exactly when to clip.

Cons

Responsiveness is still a bit laggy, and compared to other multi-track editors, this still feels at times unwieldy. Transcriptions could also be more accurate, as going through and changing them can take quite a lot of time.

SL

Sharon Lesego S.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Descript has made transcription better

Pros

The features i liked about Descript are, -it has a automatic speech to text. -you can also change settings to suit what's best for the user - it's friendly user - one can edit videos as well - it has different variety options in one software which makes it accessible - fike documents are kept safe and its a trustworthy software which i would recommend to a beginner who doesn't know and wants to learn how to transcribe - and also there are mini courses so one can understand the software better for which ii think it's a great feature to have.

Cons

It tends to mulfunction which makes it difficult to use Tye software can sometimes crash due to having more users on the software which i believe it has to be taken into consideration, considering that its a used software all around

JC

Jeremy C.

Performing Arts, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Best for quick and easy editing

Excellent for what it does, especially for quick video and podcast production.

Pros

Because it's text based, Descript makes editing video and audio easy, especially when working with complex or long files.

Cons

Because it's text based, muting background noise or other minor things that would be easy in a different editor are difficult.

JG

Jacob G.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

My favorite video/audio editor

Pros

I use this software everyday and with every update it becomes more powerful. My favorite feature has to be how easy editing is.

Cons

The only con I have is that aligning tracks in the multitrack view can be difficult. I wish there was a snapping feature to line up video and audio clips easier.

JP

Juliana P.

Public Relations and Communications, self-employed

I'm OBSESSED.

I love it. I am a podcast manager and use Descript within my daily work. I use it every day for getting rid of filler words and use it to help eliminate paragraphs of non-needed discussions.

Pros

I love that you can see the transcript while editing. It really helps with people with a learning disability like myself to see the words on the screen as well as hearing.

Cons

That there is no way to edit two separate tracks in one audio. (i.e. two people speaking with their own audios).

MH

Matthew H.

Online Media, 1-10 employees

Best in the market

Well I recommend this software for transcribing, captioning, content repurposing etc so I am a genuine fan, I am so excited about the future of the tool, everytime I get a new feature update i'm delighted to see what's been added.

Pros

I love the fact that it is sooooo easy to create small snippets and make them ready for social in such a small amount of time.

Cons

some of the features I want are not high on the priority list, I wish that wasn't the case but I guess all users feel the same.

JP

Joshua P.

Media Production, self-employed

Key software in my current workflow

Pros

I love how simple it is to use. I love how I can open it up, it's organized, easy to start a new project, edit away, and export easily to other applications as well as .mp3 or .wav files. It's saved me tons of time in my workflow. Being able to see the words and search by word is a game changer. I love that I can create audiograms for audio, highlight text for quotes, and export finish projects.

Cons

I use an another DAW, Adobe Audition, because I am familiar with more intense editing within Audition. From the use of plug ins to more customization with cross fades, I feel I can do more outside of Descript when it comes to mixing and mastering the audio files. The cross fades also do not export to Audition and that would be a huge help if Descript was able to do that.

Stu R.

Media Production, self-employed

Game changer!

The way I produce podcasts for me and my clients has been revolutionised with Descript. I now wouldn't work on one without it!

Pros

Having visual access to an audio edit is a game changer! Gone are the days of time-coded confusing and long winded client feedback, Descript allows me and my edit team access to quickly create and amend transcribed podcasts.

Cons

I would like to see improved audio mixing capabilities, via Waves and Izotope plug in integrations.

WC

Will C.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Feels like magic

I use Descript for two main things:1. quick edits of short videos that I produce for our social channels2. easy transcription of longer recordings e.g. podcast episodes that we typically get professionally-edited

Pros

A Google Docs-like editor for modifying video literally feels like living in the future. I am not a professional video editor, and so I find it incredibly useful to be able to my own quick edits and rough cuts - especially for video content for social.

Cons

I occasionally find that it is hard to get it to do exactly what I'm trying to do - which is the downside of such a powerful intuitive interface - if you don't want to do the obvious thing, it can be challenging to figure out how to work around (e.g. splitting audio and video tracks etc). But these are minor niggles.

Media Production, 11-50 employees

Amazing tool that is indispensable for our team!

Descript's team is always updating the product and improving it. They're extremely responsive with customer support as well!

Pros

Descript is extremely UX friendly and easy to adopt for our team members.

Cons

This is a technological barrier, but the transcription always has room for improvement!