Descript Logo

Descript

Transcription management and video & audio editing software

Descript Reviews - Page 4

RC

Rachel C.

Online Media, self-employed

Such a fan!

I've recommended it over and over for ease of editing to new podcasters.

Pros

I love the text editing feature. It makes it so much easier to edit visually which is great and easy.

Cons

The user interface is different than most standard audio editors so there is a learning curve.

GW

Graham W.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Inspired

It's fantastic. I'm so grateful to the team who built this and continues to improve the software. They are all adding tremendous value to my life. Thank you.

Pros

This makes editing audio podcasts a real joy. I love it.

Cons

No dark mode. When I'm editing a specific section and I hit play the timeline will move with the playhead and I'll have to zoom out and return to the spot I'm editing to further fine tune. Shortcuts are being added quickly and I am feeling lost. Would love a 1 on 1 coaching session on how to get the most out of the software. I would pay for it if I had to.

EC

Elise C.

Media Production, 11-50 employees

Descript all in one

Pros

Descript is a great software for easy audio transcription and audio editing. Being able to edit a transcription is helpful to easily find filler words and repeating words to remove from the audio.

Cons

The transcript isn’t 100% perfect. It requires a human to edit if you need a word for word transcription. Also, when needing to fine tune audio it’s not as good as using audacity or Adobe audition.

TP

Thanasis P.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Happy user

With the Descript service, I can offer accessible videos easily and fast.

Pros

Collaboration features a very good transcription and a friendly interface.

Cons

Other languages, translation services, and possibly the Greek language.

JL

Janene L.

Management Consulting, self-employed

Great addition to podcast toolbox

I love it and recommended it to many who are using it successfully. One the one hand it’s quicker to edit but takes longer because I can create more assets.

Pros

It’s simple to use and to create different assists for podcasting. It cuts editing time significantly.

Cons

Limited automated editing. Would be great if certain things could be autocorrect like the spelling of a name or of the show title. Also thought it would be useful to be able to put marker where you want time stamp and then with click it would auto gen show highlights. There’s no affiliate program. Give back to those that support you and refer you.

Internet, 10,001+ employees

Wouldn't know how to podcasts without Descript !

Descript is a tool that blows me away. Without Descript, I would literally not podcast at all. The ease of working in text most of the time is a game changer, allowing me to focus on content.

Pros

I like most the automatic transcription and the ability to edit in TEXT rather than in waveform. For podcasting, Descript cuts 90% of my editing time. It is such a productivity booster and allows me to spend more time on editing the content, the flow, arranging pieces, etc.

Cons

File management can be confusing. Text editing interface could be a tad more fluent. I demand German language transcription :-).

JR

Jen R.

Cosmetics, self-employed

Still learning Descript

Pros

I can make professional sounding and looking video ON MY OWN. IT's not quite the same as hiring a videographer, but for $30 a month, it's pretty amazing!

Cons

I feel like the learning curve is slightly higher than Descript leads on for it to be. But that said, the free workshops they offer and their interactive tutorials were a huge help.

Carl G.

Media Production, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

SMOOTH Audio Editing

I've been able to edit audio a lot faster which means faster turn around on my VO project and a lot less friction from starting a project to completion. I used to dread jumping into Adobe Audition to record and edit files for Voice Over. Descript is a lot smoother.

Pros

The quick auto transcription was really a game-changer for editing audio.

Cons

There was a little learning curve for figuring out playback, but they've since fixed it.

CH

Ceri H.

Maritime, self-employed

nice to be asked for feedback

better than many other products in the podcasting world

Pros

easy to use in the main, could do with clearer instructions to maximize the ROI

Cons

translation can be off, not to good at regional UK accents

Johanna R.

Management Consulting, self-employed

Easy to use and accuratae

I use Descript to transcribe the debriefs for my cohort-based workshops. It's easy and fast. The participants like having the transcription to go along with the video.

Pros

It's fast to upload a video and fast to transcribe. Speaker recognition is also fast. I don't have to mess around much to get a pretty good transcription.

Cons

It's not 100% accurate yet. (They say 95% and it's at least that accurate.)

ZB

Zuberi B.

Best Text To Speech Software

My overall experience has been great to be honest. No issues

Pros

I like how realistic the voice sounds on the text to speech feature and also like how you can use your own voice which is probably one of the best features.

Cons

Some words are not pronounced correctly but could be changed with spelling I guess.

PR

Patricia R.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Bang for Buck

Pros

The price of Descript makes it an easy choice for me as a single person doing audio/video edits and transcription for workshops, support calls, course videos, podcasts, and more. It's an essential piece of my workflow and being able to do video/audio edits as easily as deleting a sentence on the screen is phenomenal.

Cons

The export process for the Creator edition is lacking: I don't need or want the Descript default publishing system of published/hosted pages and transcripts or audiograms. If they had a bulk export option: video, transcript, and subtitles files, I would love it even more. If they had a direct upload to Vimeo I would be over the moon!

KB

Katie B.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Gave me hours of my life back

Best experience with a cloud editing software out there.

Pros

Being able to edit long-form interviews (podcast or film) was painful before Descript. It took hours to sift through the recording and cut / piece together a final cut. Descript takes away the cumbersome nature of editing completely.

Cons

The Sequence feature is still a mystery to me. I'm not sure why there is a composition and a sequence option, but I do see the difference. I think it would make more sense to have them combined. The sequence feature has a long way to go - normally I just export the composition into Final Cut Pro when I need to add titles or broll.

PA

Paul A.

You're all in one Video Editing platform - with superb AI powered tools

Superb... I hunted for the right product to edit my training & coaching videos. I'll not be looking any further now I've found Descript

Pros

Ease of use, edit video like a text document, AI features

Cons

The initial learning curve. It's such a powerful platform that it will always take a little getting used to. The How To content is awesome and really helpful

JL

Jeff L.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Descript is wonderful! Highly recommended

Pros

Audio/Voice enhancement. Easy video editing, especially using the transcription.

Cons

Doesn't work well yet with HD and 4K video. They are in beta, but it still is so-so. I use my iPhone 13 for video work a lot and prefer 4K. They say that they are working on this.

Real Estate, self-employed

I love this app!

It is easy to use and has a variety of useful features. I don't need to become a video/audio engineer to manage my podcast or my video channels. So, I can continue to be great at my chosen profession.

Pros

I am so glad that I found this tool. It has made my life so much easier, it combines the best of video editing and screen-recording. I can create professional videos that look great, and I can record meetings, transcribe them, and then edit them into a podcast. I really enjoy editing my videos using this app because it is intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

There are numerous video tutorials to watch and learn from. However, having time to watch them is the only downside.

CN

Chris N.

Graphic Design, self-employed

I recommend you to get this qpp

Pros

It is easy to turn text into speech very nice

Cons

It is not useable on mobile the admin should do something

JB

Jeffrey B.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

The Go-To Tool

9 stars. The perfect editing tool. 9 stars and just one shy with an iOS application becoming available.

Pros

Simply, the easiest, most effective and efficient podcast editing tool on the market.

Cons

No iOS interface or app. It would be a perfect ten star rating experience if so.

NM

Nolan M.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Saves me hours a week!

I have deployed Descript at the past two companies I've worked for thanks to it's ease of use and saving me hours of manual editing and production time.

Pros

I love having a global perspective of the content in a video or audio file by reading the automatic transcription. When I have a video in a traditional linear editor I have no perspective of what content falls where, this requires me to watch the content in full, take notes, and then start editing. With Descript I can get context by skimming the text and start editing almost immediately!

Cons

Playback and editing controls are not intuitive, opposite functionality of other mainstream products.

DL

Dominique L.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

This is genius!

Pros

The software allows us to zip through our process of documentary editing. We are Emmy Award documentary producers and both for our production work and teaching Descript is a giant step ahead for us

Cons

Lack of support on Chromebooks which are widely used in schools

OR

Orest R.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 11-50 employees

The best AI for image/video editing and transcription

My overall experience has been one of the best I have had with AI’s. I just love how Descript works and offers a wide variety of functions that can make my work more bearable and easy.

Pros

The things that I liked the most about Descript is the transcription tool, because you can edit it easily and to various languages. I also liked the video editing tool, because it has many options for you to edit and decor your video with different and original graphics (it has fun gifs, images, videos, and you can even upload your own multimedia material). Finally, I can say that Descript is very complete and has efficient tools that are really easy to use.

Cons

There’s nothing I would complain about on the features, tools or functionality of Descript.

KR

Kathy R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Love the product but...

Overall I love Descript and recommend it to everyone. I wish they had an affiliate program because I would be making some money. lol My only issue is with the screen recording but understand this is a new feature and they are still working out the bugs.

Pros

I love the fact that I get a transcription right away. I also like using the transcription to edit. Very cool and different.

Cons

The screen recording feature needs work. Every time I use it I have issues. It would also be nice to upload my audio and it not be touched. Sometimes I have already run it through leveling and such and I have to do it over again after export because it lowers the volume.

SH

Sid H.

Internet, self-employed

Invaluable Resource for Podcast Editing

Pros

The Descript editing suite could not be more convenient to learn and utilize for editing your podcast. Perfectly organized and logical in its set up, it cannot get any easier to use this tool. This type of editing software that used to cost a fortune (and take up gigabytes of memory), is now available at an economical price, with all of the capabilities you'd expect - and more.

Cons

Nothing so far. It's been a dream - and fun - to produce podcast episodes using this software package.

MP

Mirko P.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

My Review

I am generating the audio for lectures. I haven't been able to automate the entire process yet, because the quality of the generated audio is not that good/natural yet. However, before judging the algorithm's quality, I still need to train better my voice's data and test more.

Pros

Ease of editing videos. Overdub capabilities.

Cons

Limitations regarding setting configuring the dimensions of the video screen. Unable to transcribe two videos in the same project. New usability for correcting/editing text/overdub. The button to "stop the screen record" is visible on the screencast. This is REALLY annoying.

RF

Robert F.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Descript

I think Descript is essential, it has saved my days worth of work, and literally pays for itself in within just a half hour of work

Pros

Top to it’s class transcription software that is expanding so fast with a constant, nearly weekly set of ground breaking advanced updates.

Cons

All white interface is hard on the eyes, I wish we could customize to dark. I am wishing we could bring in an existing video/film edit. Such as a AAF or xml/eel file and collaborate as a team inside Descript.