Descript Logo

Descript

Transcription management and video & audio editing software

Descript Reviews - Page 6

Dean G.

E-Learning, self-employed

The best at removing filler words and silence

Pros

The most robust stand-alone software I have used for what I needed, which was removing filler words and silences. Not only that it makes audiograms and provides transcription too

Cons

The cost. I do not need to use Descript all the time, only when I have projects which may be once every other month. So I cant justify a yearly cost.

MZ

Mat Z.

Build It Into Your Workflow: No More Ums

I love using it for my podcasts to do various pieces of editing and to do so quickly. I'll probably start to use its other features for other uses as well.

Pros

As a podcast host and producer, Descript has been easy to integrate into my workflow, recording directly into the app, letting it automatically transcribe, and then being able to edit pieces or the whole thing with a WYSIWYG interface. It's so easy, I'm quickly taking out "Ums" or adding in pauses or cleaning up pieces.

Cons

The volume edits only let you amplify or reduce within an entire section so I'm waiting on more nuanced features so I don't have to go back into Audacity or Garage Band for more sophisticated but minor editing.

PA

Pamela A.

Alternative Medicine, 1-10 employees

Love this program

It makes it so much easier to edit my podcasts. I love the program!

Pros

Descript makes editing my weekly podcast a pleasure. I love the features. It does a great job and even becomes intuitive to use in time.

Cons

I think the overdub feature needs to be improved. Also, I haven't really been able to figure out how to edit videos yet.

BD

Bob D.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

All In One Fantastic Tool for Podcasters

It does so many things that help me with my podcast flow, both critical at times while fitting special needs at other times.

Pros

That it came with so many useful features, many of which I am taking advantage of and more that I will down the road.

Cons

A bit more of a learning curve but also expected with this many features.

JG

Jake G.

Entertainment, self-employed

Great for macro-level editing and podcasts

My overall experience has been great. It has just worked for me in all the ways I need it to, and I look forward to continue using it moving forward.

Pros

Descript works great for my workflow because it helps eliminate wasted time by automatically transcribing and giving me a starting point for audio edits. The key feature for me is the ability to automatically remove filler words. It has saved me hours of headaches and continues to improve with each software update.

Cons

Something I feel that is missing is the ability easily separate out speakers onto different tracks if they were recorded to the same mono file. This would make mixing at the end of the day much simpler.

DK

Daniel K.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Best Transcriber I've Found! More Efficient and Accurate Means More Profit!

Descript continually updates this software - a great thing! Instead of saving a month or a year's worth, they release updates *when they're needed*! Has saved me hours and hours of transcribing and subtitling time. More profit!

Pros

Very, very accurate and FAST Transcription.

Cons

Would like the ability to save and recall often used edits, though.

RG

Ricky G.

Entertainment, self-employed

Descript - A Beginner’s Starter Tool

Pros

I did like that everything worked as intended. It is very straightforward and appealing to those that do not like to get overwhelmed by complicated programs with bells and whistles everywhere.

Cons

Given the simplicity, Descript leaves a lot to be desired for those who are looking for a more advanced editing tool. Again, the paywall could be the reason, but why would I buy this if I can’t try the best features?

MR

Meghan R.

Program Development, 51-200 employees

Great tool, super simple

Great product - absolutely recommended!

Pros

Very easy to use and learn. Transcriptions are great quality, pretty accurate and ease of editing makes this a great tool to use.

Cons

Would be great if you could select more than one thing to export at a time (e.g. Transcript, video and. Srt file)

CS

Colin S.

Medical Devices, 501-1,000 employees

First time captioner loves his experience

Overall, I enjoy the product! It's easily saved myself and the company hours of time transcribing from nothing.

Pros

My favorite thing is just how simple it is to go from a video file to a .srt file for Youtube.

Cons

Sometimes I have a major difficulty getting the text edit to register my clicks and keystrokes.

Astridah M.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Best AI tool Editing and Transcription

Pros

Descript allows me to complete my projects, both video and audio without going back and forth apps to get the job done. It's easy to use for anyone and saves a lot of time. Transcription is a life saver and the automatic removal of filler words and multiple speaker tags are fantastic features. Making it an even more efficient tool is that I can export to other applications in different formats.

Cons

I can't say it's a 100% tool but certainly does get work done for me. Only issue I have is that it's only on desktop version and transcription will not always be accurate.

GS

George S.

Performing Arts, self-employed

Instant Boost to Podcasts

Overall, I'm thrilled with what Descript has brought to my show. I'm even more excited to post new episodes now because I know each week the listeners are getting a better and better show.

Pros

Because of Descript, not only are all my filler words eliminated with a couple punches on the keyboard, but by seeing the entire podcast episode laid out in front of me, I can also eliminate repeating words and anything else that makes my show sound unprofessional.

Cons

I feel the filler words section could be expanded, and if the software could identify spots where words are repeated and can be reviewed on a case by case basis, that would help even more.

MG

Mahesh G.

Alternative Medicine, self-employed

Edit Your Video Like a Book

Pros

I love that I can simply delete sentences from my video with Descript, just by highlighting text and deleting it. This allows me to refine what I've improvised into a clearer, more understandable product. I can even replace words using a feture they have that creates artificial speech in your voice. Plus, with its drag and drop editing, it's easy to close gaps where I paused for a long time.

Cons

I had to contact tech support to learn how to export. It's not as obvious as it should be. Once you know how to do it though, it's easy to remember.

JW

Jordan W.

Sports, 11-50 employees

Great tool for transcription

I really enjoyed the tool. Came for the transcription capability but now expanded some of our marketing due to the additional features.

Pros

Transcription tool is bonkers cool! What would take me 5 hours is done in 30 minutes.

Cons

Small learning curve. But easy afterwards.

RC

Raquel C.

Professional Training & Coaching, self-employed

Critical for podcast creation

I love the fact that I can use my transcript to edit the audio for my podcast. I don't think I could do this by myself any other way.

Pros

The fact that I can use the transcript to edit the audio

Cons

Constant changes to cut or add a gaps to my audio

KA

Kristi A.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Wonderful software, goes above & beyond what you’d expect

My overall experience with Descript has been incredibly positive. It has so many capabilities beyond transcription, and it has a beautiful UI that keeps everything organized in a really user-friendly way.

Pros

After using many expensive transcription services, I thought it was time to look for something a little more automated and a bit more affordable. I came across this software and decided to give it a try since there is really nothing to lose. I honestly didn’t expect much, but what I got was far and away beyond what I ever expected to get. The transcription ability of the AI here is really wonderful for the product. It will require some work on your end is you need it presentable, but I’d you’re just using it for recordings, it does a really great job.

Cons

I honestly have almost nothing to complain about, even remotely. The only thing I would caution against is expecting perfection from this as a transcription service.

KM

Kelsey M.

Motion Pictures and Film, 1-10 employees

New Descript User

Descript is saving me so much time and headache. The editing capabilities are awesome.

Pros

The transcribing ability in this software is truly lifechanging. It has made video editing so much faster and easier. We do a lot of editing so this makes life so much better.

Cons

The program opens so many windows sometimes and takes up a lot of RAM especially when exporting, my machine can handle it just fine but it may be an issue for others. Also there are a lot of updates which is good in some ways but often I am in the middle of editing and get prompted to restart the program.

WD

Wil D.

Used monthly for 6-12 months

A game changer in making audio recordings sound great.

Amazing

Pros

I love the studio sound feature that can turn my echo filled and mediocre audio into amazing audio. It also puts silence between the words spoken which makes it easier to cut and edit audio.

Cons

I've had a few issues with the studio sound process slowing down significantly the more I use it in a single setting.

NS

Nikola S.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

I haven't found a better tool for transcribing meetings

It's been an overwhelmingly positive experience. I would recommend this product to any company that wants to quickly transcribe meetings and save hours and hours of work.

Pros

The main reason we use Descript is to transcribe meetings. It takes just a few minutes to transcribe an hour long meeting, and it saves us the time of doing it ourselves with a human. We can then easily reference the meeting later when we need to create content based on what was said in the meeting.

Cons

Nothing so far. I haven't used all the features, and although it's primarily used for podcasts and videos, we haven't yet used all of these features at our company. For transcribing meetings though, it's been a life saver.

SG

Serena G.

Media Production, self-employed

Extremely useful for a first pass edit

Very good

Pros

I love that I can use Descript to edit out material by reading it simultaneously to listening

Cons

I still find the transcripts are often incomprehensible

CL

Chen L.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Best tool for video editing for non-techy

Overall, great.

Pros

Great, just very easy to use, and a lot of useful features.

Cons

you have to pay by per user, that' stupid. Just charge on the hours transcribed

HR

Harry R.

Sports, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Transcribe whole videos with ease

When we record a very long video that we want transcribed, descript saves hours of work for us.

Pros

I love how easy it is once it is set up to create a project, drag a video in, and get an entire transcription for it without taking almost any time.

Cons

It can be a bit confusing with a steep learning curve initially. It took some time to get set up and used to.

Government Administration, self-employed

I love descript!

Pros

I love how Descript is like editing a word document. While standard editing involves complicated listening and painstaking effort, Descript is effortless. One guest once asked me to edit out his "ums" and "uhs" and offered to rerecord if it was too much work. With Descript, all I had to do was click a button.

Cons

Descript is fairly expensive, especially considering how much free software there is online. There are also limited transcription hours which can be frustrating.

CB

Cole B.

Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 employees

The best screen recording software out there.

Very positive. Excited to play around with it more

Pros

The ability to record and transcribe how-to videos in real time with ease

Cons

Nothing so far. Just started using it recently but it's been a really great tool that's been added for us across the company

AG

Ankit G.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Absolutely amazing tool to edit audio

I like Descript overall and anyone who does podcast or multiple screen recording should definitely give it a try.

Pros

The best thing about Descript is that how easy is it to transcript a video on it. I also love the fact that you can simply delete unnecessary words and even change them. Their screen recording plugin is great too.

Cons

It's a bit on the expensive side and also it's not a full-fledged video editor. You'll still have to use another tool to do the final editing.

RH

Rachel H.

Love Descript and highly recommend

Love it. It’s saved me so much time! I highly recommend it to everyone I know and appreciate the time the developers put into the design and upgrades

Pros

The ease of cutting out sections, ergo gong sections together and the constant upgrades and additions to features!

Cons

It’s still a pro actually so don’t change it but there are so many features, you can learn something new every day however it’s still very simple to use on a basic level too...its a pus really, not a con.