All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Directus

An Open Data Platform for managing headless content.

Directus Reviews

Carlos H.

Davide L.

Read the full review
Also, and this is a HUGE value, the response to questions and issues within the Directus-Slack channel is amazing. Actually, the communication and support from this organization is impeccable.

Brian M.

Read the full review

Cons

Difficult to get started. Documentation is a bit lacking / confusing.

John K.

Davide L.

Read the full review
Debugging errors and custom endpoints is a bit cumbersome, since every change needs to be first deployed to the final staging or production environment.

Christian M.

4.5

Excellent headless CMS

I have a very difficult multi-platform usecase involving languages from R/Python, reproducible data slicing, on the fly dataset creation all the way to front-end react, pregenerated app (gatsby) in a single build command. Directus is my sole source of truth, what I use to back this whole thing. This allows me to use the same translations and metadata for everything no matter if I am in R or Javascript...

Pros

This is Free and Open Source Software at its best. Directus has a great, well tended community, excellent developers, many options and lots of friendly answers to real questions. I have not found any other headless API I can self host in amazon or wherever I want. This makes for a local development cycle, short time to market, very easy to prototybe setup for example for react/gatsby apps.

Cons

The app where you manage the database still needs a bit more documentation. It does not lack features, but some features lack propper documentation. I hope to help on this in the future!

One of the greats

Pros

I'll start with the flexibility, you can create and edit every table in real-time and in an easy-to-use GUI. Best part is this can be clamped onto any SQL database and it will just start working then you can setup the table existing into the software.

Cons

Well I mean it's not quite and intuitive as something like WordPress but point people in the correct direction and they soon get the hang of it

Fantastic concept, medium user experience

Until now the experience is good: I like the idea and it works for the project that we started with Directus. We still need to resolve some issues, like how to properly manage pages and SEO data or how to overcome the lack of the repeater field, but it's working well. The experience with the support was fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was kind and friendly, in spite of my incompetence. I appreciate the enthusiasm and the open source spirit. Sometimes I experienced some limits for the reasons mentioned early, but I'm happy.

Pros

I love the concept behind Directus: the idea to freely create a database in an easy way, organizing the content as you need or as you imagined it. I come from Kirby CM and Craft CMS and doing websites in which the custom design is the key, it's important to us to shape our content as we want. It's easy to install, the Slack support is friendly and helpful. In the search for the perfect headless CMS...

Cons

Above all, the bugs: being open source and free it's normal, but it is frustrating in the measure we decided to use it for clients works. Second: the lack of documentation for the interfaces or for the detailed use of the JS SDK. Moreover, sometimes I felt overwhelmed by the technical details of the interface. I don't have competence in relational databases and to me too much things doesn't have a meaning. But I'm mainly a front-end developer that try to be "independent", so I think that it's normal. Finally: the lack of a good repeater. At the moment it's impossible to use a file field in it, or to repeat a group of field. For us it's almost a strict requirement for clients projects.

Hi Davide, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full API rewrite, and also includes the Repeater interface you were looking for. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Awesome piece of software

I've had to learn express and knex to implement custom endpoints and I really enjoy doing things this way. I also started using it's javascript sdk client and it's simply awesome!

Pros

It's really easy to setup and encourages to learn new technologies

Cons

It's not really done yet, I mean Directus is switching from PHP to Nodejs and this is a long proccess that is still happening and the documentation is not complete yet.

Best headless open source CMS

We're creating a completely custom web in which you can reuse components.

Pros

It's community support, open-source, and features. Nothing to envy from really expensive proprietary CMS.

Cons

Breaking changes in updates, lack of Many to Any support on App, failures updating large datasets with relationships, lack of a tool to perform migrations between environments and long URLs to consume. All of which are getting addressed at the moment :)

Hi Ignacio, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. We've specifically addressed many of your Cons, including the very powerful many-to-any relationship type! Our open-source platform is also far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Great product that is still young

We had departments using many different CMS's. They ranged from extremely expensive to open source projects. While Directus is not perfect, it has proven to be better than all the others. We have actively tried to improve the product, and we find that the others in the community do the same. Also, and this is a HUGE value, the response to questions and issues within the Directus-Slack channel is amazing! Actually, the communication and support from this organization is impeccable. Friendly, helpful, understanding. Just out of a sense of loyalty to such good people, I will want to stay with them.

Pros

The interface is very friendly, and as the product matures, the installation is becoming better.

Cons

This is not an enterprise-level application, yet. It has a number of tiny gotchas that one has to learn about. One can still do most anything they desire.

Great headless CMS

Pros

You can manage your collections and content through good looking administration, you create (even complex) relationships between the collections, there is a support to manage localized content. Your content is served through REST or GraphQL API that is simple learn. Good support of roles and permissions who can consume the content through API. There is a good extensions support for both APP and API. Easy deployement with Docker.

Cons

Performance of API calls for more complex data (relation) can be a bit sluggish, but it can be solved by setting up cache. There are bugs that take a long time to solve. GraphQL API has still lacking features compared to REST API.

Hello, and thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Some of the biggest improvements have been in the API's performance (even without the new Redis/Memory cache support). Our GraphQL API is also a lot further along now compared to the REST API. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Directus: A Rapid, Hands-Off-Your-Data, Headless CMS

Directus is fantastic for both building out databases without the tedious headaches of old, and for allowing end-users to manage and post content. There's a field for pretty much every scenario, and if there isn't one, the platform is built in a way that's extensible. The bonus on top of everything is the built-in API, which allows me to get projects up and running and cut out basically two thirds of application development. With Directus, I only have to worry about building the front-end—it's nice to know that I have the backing of an entire system as the other half of my team!

Pros

I am impressed with the continuous development of Directus and the commitment to deploying frequently. There are always new features and fixes and the team releases at a pace that would make a commercial team sweat, let alone an Open-Source team.

Cons

The only challenge I faced while setting up Directus was a little confusion about the config of setting up multiple projects on the same install. However, the documentation was thorough and the Slack talkative, and I was soon up and running with a shared instance that eliminates the maintenance of multiple instances.

Best Headless CMS we experienced

We were in search of a very customizable CMS for our project, but we didn't found anything in the market proper for our needs until someone recommended us Directus. We instantly jumped with this CMS. The overall App and API are outstanding and highly flexible for all kind of project.

Pros

The interface is so user friendly and has a solid and highly customizable backend for all the needs.

Cons

The new version is fully functionnal but still has some issues that can appear during the implementation. But the team is phenomenal and is pushing updates and fixes all the time and have a helpful community to guide you to use properly the platform.

Awesome Project

Pros

With Directus I could built an MVP from zero to hero in a few days. It's user interface is pretty friendly and it's community on discord is amazing

Cons

Integrations with existing projects and services like Stripe, Google Drive, etc.

Thank you for the review, Jimmy, I really appreciate you taking the time to rate our software! I see you're looking for a few more integrations... anything in the Core codebase that's pushing you to the 4/5 star rating for overall quality? I'd love to make sure our developers are focused on the most important things (for devs like you) so we can ensure our platform is earning those top ratings!

Best headless CMS on the market - powered by Open-Source

I loved the previous versions, but especially the new V9 really excites me. I never experienced any smoother experience setting up any content management system (including the old guys like WordPress or Drupal). From a product and/or IT lead perspective, it brings you so much power for so many use cases - without a huge price tag or complexity.

Pros

It is free, if you are able to host it yourself! It is completely white-label, which makes your employees love it even more. It is perfectly customizable. In case you miss something, you can easily jump on the train and add it for your project - or all Directus users (contributing in the open-source community). If you want it fully managed, there is a cloud-version at a fair price (cheap compared to others) too.

Cons

Potential con for some people: The PHP version got more or less deprecated. There might be one version again, but focus is definitely with NodeJS. If you want to host it yourself and are not able to run Node or Docker, you might run into problems. File management could be better and more customizable (in terms of conditional rules how uploads get processed per collection and field).

Directus, your friend and your first backend services (headless cms)

We build our api with the minimum technical ressources. Since I'm the only dev, it allow me to stay focus on the main product. A must have for starting projects.

Pros

Directus will allow you to create instant database with all security layers you may need for an api (auth, ...)

Cons

The data ownership by users is quite a pain (e.g : You want to create an item through a webhook and attribute it to a specific user) and user registration through api require some custom code to follow your expectation.

Hi Remi, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

One of the best open source Headless CMS alternatives

We use directus for rapid database management, and for API endpoints to the data. We are customizing the solution to better fit with our needs and it works great.

Pros

1. Documentation has been on point. 3. The easie in which it is to get started is excellent with multiple alternatives like docker, 1click digital ocean setup etc. 2. I love the "project" aspect that allows you to connect multiple database instances within the same Admin App. 3.The Admin App is written made in VUE . Its super easy to pull it locally and connect it to your existing api if you need...

Cons

1. Support for only mysql. MongoDB support would have been magical. I have seen it in the roadmap, so let's hope it comes soon. 2. API response time. It's not bad, but its not great. I know they are working on it.

Beginning with Directus

Pros

The best thing about Directus is the community. It is great to be able to ask questions and get a real person to walk you through a solution.

Cons

Difficult to get started. Documentation is a bit lacking / confusing.

Hi John, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. I know you found it hard to get started with Directus, but we now have several guides for installation, and this quickstart guide: https://docs.directus.io/getting-started/quickstart/ Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

A Powerful Open-Source Headless-CMS

I transitioned from Ghost for my website and it makes it super easy to have a decoupled & flexible CMS + website. The non-fixed data model system also lets me add custom features & models to my site.

Pros

I love that it is open source and the new version 9 is rewritten in JavaScript instead of PHP, so it is super fast and has modern features, like a GraphQL API. It is also versatile and open-source, making it possible to write extensions. The maintainers are super active on their Discord community and are super friendly.

Cons

Version 9 is still in pre-release (as of writing), so some parts are still a work-in-progress, but is otherwise pretty stable for pre-release.

Thank you for the review, Joseph, we truly appreciate this feedback. I know Directus 9 is still in pre-release (RC), but is there anything specific you've noticed that we can improve/add/fix to earn a full five star rating? We value the insight each user/contributor offers... so I just wanted check!

Directus... You will love it!

Pros

Directus, as a Headless CMS pioneer, offers entirely free software that within a few minutes can have a full API, an easy to travel and learn app, and available with an SDK to easily develop applications. The GraphQL has been a great addition to the latest technology, and additionally, the community support is one the best I have had experienced. As I said, you will love it!

Cons

The latest version is written on NodeJS but uses a snake case compared to camelcase which is a JavaScript standard.

Headless CMS, easy to use and administrate

It's a central piece of our organization, with thousands of DB items that are exported through multiple JSON feeds, so that they are consumed by several clients on a daily basis. Very happy with Directus, it's an upgrade over the solutions we used before that.

Pros

I like that Directus is free and open source, with an active community over Slack and that the software evolves very quickly. I also *love* the fact that you can access the whole SQL DB schema besson Directus.

Cons

New versions sometimes introduce critical bugs. The Directus team is responsive on GitHub and Slack, but it needs some time to validate new versions before upgrading production DBs.

Hi Lionel, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Slick looking and easy to start with

Overall impression (on our initial evaluation) was that someone really invested lot of time and thought into it.

Pros

CMS looks very mature, with lots of functionality already there. No need for installing tons of plugins, modules, extensions... Open source and i18n were our main perks when we chose Directus over others.

Cons

We've pinpointed bad time to start with it. Directus Team just started rolling out v8 where available documentation was for v7. Some small issues were visible, but quickly ironed out with swift releases. On the other hand - Slack support + Git issue tracking worked for us very well.

Hi Vladimir, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Only one important thing is missing

Using it to manage users of a plattform that offers handmade image-editing via a software.

Pros

+ Minimalistic interface + Cool features (e.g. to create those individual "views" on tables in the interface) + JS SDK that makes authorization in vue-apps a breeze + Token-refreshing + Fast + Easy to setup + "Readable" SQL-structure + Extensive roles & rights management

Cons

- There is no relation-type, that can handle relations between items of multiple collections (This is my most wanted feature, and for others too as i saw in the slack-workspace) - sometimes things happened (i dunno exactly when) that made the DB or tables crashed (maybe referred to a faulty operation from my side)

Hi Fabian, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Also, we now have the "many-to-any" relationship type that allows connecting items from multiple collections! Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Directus works fine

Pros

Directus covers almost entirely the needs of the project. Many improvements are currently being developed that help make things easier, in addition to new features

Cons

There is a lack of regression tests that validate when new features are developed, that everything is still working correctly. Sometimes some new developments break previous ones.

Hi Adrian, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Also, we've in the process of adding unit and regression tests to the platform. This is a long/ongoing process, but we're excited to have them included! Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Using Directus since v6.x

we needed an headless CMS which we can self host and Directus was perfectly for this part. Easy to install and to set it up. Specially the translation part was necessary for our first project and even without it we're still using Directus. Version 7 was great and now we're about to upgrade some of our projects to Version 8 (the demo looks awesome so far)

Pros

I really liked the headless aspect and how easy it is to build up the overall construct for your data. The API is nice documented and easy to understand.

Cons

In version 6 the API is really slow when your database is quite huge. The issue was reported but couldn't be solved in this version so we had to upgrade the whole project (loading time for a site was 6s+...)

Hi Kevin, thank you very much for your review of Directus 6/7/8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. The biggest improvement in v9 is performance. We aim to get all queries down to the <50ms range as a base, so the App and API are both a LOT faster now. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Great Potential

I'm currently using Directus and working on customizations, sometimes it appears hard to add custom modules or to work on the already existing architecture but I'd say that I'm generally positive about Directus.

Pros

Directus is quite impressive about the potentials it have from a business point of view. The software is easy to configure and the community is very active continously improving the available functionalities and solving known issues

Cons

Some features are still not fully working (i.e. forgot password and reset password needs some work) PHP in my opinion is not very flexible for developer, so it require lots of components to be added

Hi Vincenzo, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Now that we're not on PHP any more, we've seen huge performance improvements, easier on-boarding for new contributors, and our community is far more active. I see this was a big issue in your first review. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Exceptional Product

Both my clients and I update our content through Directus and we find it very easy to do so!

Pros

Directus is Open-Source and provides an easy-to-use interface that allows myself and my users to navigate the system and update data and content as needed. The Rest API is well-documented making integration into any system very easy! I love being able to get setup with a new project in minutes rather than hours.

Cons

There's nothing I don't love about Directus, there's always something that could be added to make the product better, but it all requires financing and I can't complain when it's free

Feature-Rich Admin panel

I have created a headless API that serves JSON metadata about podcasts, including a link to the MP3 file (in an S3 bucket), the name of the presenter, the series of talks to which it belongs, and a boolean isPrivate. I have created related collections in the Admin panel, and now the 1 or 2 admins who add new recorded alks can add a series easily, add a speaker easily, add a category easily, and then add a lecture - using a dropdown to select which speaker, topic, category, and series this lecture belongs to. Now the management of organizing these assets can be handled by anyone who knows how to use a web browser!

Pros

The admin panel has an intuitive interface for managing database relationships (collections), users, fields for your data types. I feel excited to present my non-technical media producers with a way to add their media files, tag them appropriately by creator, relate them to 'topics' stored another table, and be able to update and add new topics with no technical expertise.

Cons

I had some challenges in setup that came down to outdated or incomplete documentation, but that may also be lack of experience on my side. Perhaps some things that were not explicit were actually expected knowledge that I was lacking.

Hi Jonathan, thank you very much for your review of Directus 7. Over the past few years, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (two major releases since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Thank you for your consideration!

Directus: Best Open Source Headless CMS Out There.

Overall Directus has been great.

Pros

Pretty Easy to setup. Conceptually it's easy to understand, just a wrapper on mySQL. Very powerful API Very easy to use admin interface.

Cons

There's a considerable number of bugs, and some features just flat out don't work anymore (caching). The documentation for docker wasn't great, but it is getting better! PHP isn't that fast, I haven't been able to get sub 100ms response times. PHP isn't a well loved language anymore, and fewer developers know it each year.

Hi Derek, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. With our move from PHP to node, we've seen HUGE performance improvements. our main goal is to keep all base queries as fast as possible... and I think you'll notice much better speeds now. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.