All categories

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Reviews

Pros

I love that it's not only free, but actually decent piece of software. It's a great replacement if you don't want to keep paying Adobe's subscription price.

Cherlyn C.

Read the full review
It's a very capable replacement. We also appreciate that it's free and open source, with a good community there to help with the inevitable issues you'll face during the learning curve.

Kevin F.

Read the full review
GIMP is a great alternative to Photoshop. It's free and an awesome photo editing platform for those people who don't get subscriptions to Photoshop for example and don't want to pay for it.

Ivana S.

Read the full review

Cons

So far no real complaints. Occasionally I have issues selecting objects correctly but it’s more of user error.

Jakop G.

Read the full review
Some tools and feature have confusing icons and perform actions which are confusing.

Swapnil A.

Read the full review
My main gripe is that for different edits, there's no way to apply it to all layers without scripting, but the scripting is confusing to use if you have no experience.

Nathan G.

1,147

2,201 reviews

Great Graphic Manipulation

Great Free alternative for Adobe Photoshop

With Gimp I am creating weekly flyers with products from our company. We can save an enormous amount of money by doing this by ourselves and not some external design company.

Pros

Gimp is an open-source image manipulation program what means it is absolutely free to use. Also, you will receive regular updates which add new features and fixes bugs including security issues. It has all the abilities that for example Adobe Photoshop and other commercial programs have. It can offer even more because it is easily extensible and flexible for every environment with lots of great community plugins and scripts.

Cons

The user interface of Gimp is not the most beautiful one but its function is very good. It has a lot of menus and submenus so for beginners it may be a little harder to achieve some more complex operations such as retouch of a face or double exposure. Also, compatibility with Adobe file formats exists but don't except that it works perfectly. Most of the time it works flawlessly if you are opening the document from older versions of Photoshop because newer version needs some updating and updates occur approximately every 2 months which is still faster than what Adobe is doing with their Photoshop.

GIMP 2.10 Discovered!

I am able to do basic digital photo editing with GIMP, plus some enhancements to make it artistic. I am definitely willing to explore it some more. I had to get the Version 2.10 to download, install, and open plus work properly! Before, I had GIMP 2.8, which took FOREVER to start up.

Pros

I like that it’s free, and that it’s easy to use IF you have Adobe PhotoShop experience. I haven’t used GIMP in a long while, and I Googled the latest version.

Cons

I had to work to resize the Toolbox panel so that it didn’t completely cover the image I was working on. I had to kinda futz around and thus refresh my long -term memory of how to work with GUI, or sliders, picture buttons, and those drop-down menus.

Invaluable Tool for the DIY business owner

As a small business owner that started a dog walking company on my own, over seven years ago, GIMP has been invaluable to me. I create all of my own graphics and marketing materials. I used GIMP to create my original logo, and have used GIMP to update my logo several times. I use it for cutout images, to create image files in the correct font, and all of the graphics on my website. I've even used it to design our uniforms. I also use GIMP for everyday problems like compressing an image that's to big to send in an email, or creating PDF files.

Pros

FREE, updated regularly, export to PDF, image compression, import font files, float layer, invert selection, undo history toolbox, erase from only one layer, fade, transparent erase....Much, much, more

Cons

The only thing I don't like is the floating toolbox windows. They are always getting in the way while I am designing. Though, I don't have a solution for this.

a program which works well and good to start some photo editing

I find who is getting old but he always responds to the task expected of him

Pros

On our side this program which works well, it is very stable, no crashes. I also use other programs that are not at the same price because yes it can't do everything and this is normal, I would even say that it is better that the program excels in what it can do than to be as versatile as possible, but I prefer to keep gimp for now because I got used to it very quickly and that is one of its best qualities. Which is very well documented, many tutorials. It is true that it requires a minimum of training, especially on the philosophy of layers, what is an alpha channel, a smart chisel, ...there also has the documentation on the publisher's site. This program is free.

Cons

The program is starting to get old, and we can see it. Just by starting it, it lags behind, but it could be worse. In terms of drawing tools, it is very minimalist to the point where buying a tablet that senses the difference in pressure applied on the screen is useless.

The greatest program I have ever used

This program changed my life in more ways than one. I have made fliers, posters, and multiple artwork with gimp. It holds a special place in my heart, because it gave me the opportunity to think outside of the box.

Pros

For people who may not have the money for Photoshop, GIMP is the perfect program for you to learn how to manipulate images! I have been using GIMP for 10 years now, and I feel like the opportunities to learn more are ENDLESS! I have done some amazing art pieces with GIMP, things that I would have never imagined to be able to create. The easy interface helps with learning quickly on how to make use of layers and coloring. I first used gimp for making transparent images and coloring, but it soon became a business tool for me! I still use this program faithfully!

Cons

Script-Fu has been my favorite add on script, but with recent updates and versions of GIMP, it hasn't been blending well with the new software. So I have 2 versions of GIMP to handle those issues.

Using Gimp in Place of other Software

This software is simple and great for the entry-level artist. The artist will have to get a feel for the tools and experiment/ practice to learn what they do. This software works very well for the new artist so that they do not have to spend a fortune on higher-end software such as the Adobe Creative Cloud. The software is also limited so at one point the user will have to upgrade to finish certain projects.

Pros

Gimp is a great entry-level software for users that are just getting into things like photo-editing and photo manipulation. It has multiple tools that the user needs to edit photos. For example, a user can use this software to color correct a photograph. If a user wants to get into photo-editing but doesn't want to spend the money to use higher-end software, this is a great place to start.

Cons

One con is that it doesn't have the exact same tools as a software such a photoshop. There also would a learning curve when switching to a higher-end software because even though a lot of the tools do the same things, they'll have different icons and different placements. The user is also limited to what they can exactly do. The software is designed to do basic tasks.

Great tool for my design needs

Creating logos, marketing images, editing pdf files, removing background from pictures of my products to sell them on Amazon. They all have profesional quality.

Pros

I use Linux Ubuntu and I love gimp. Free, great documentation and very easy to use. I’m a business owner and because I recently started I don’t have the money yet to pay a graphic designer, so I use gimp to create my logo and marketing images. I also install new fonts all the time and it’s super easy. The option of saving the images with many extensions have made my life very easy.

Cons

I wish it could open and save AI files because all the printer companies I have worked with require I send them the AI file.

Great Open Source alternative to Photoshop

GIMP is a great free alternative to Photoshop that ticks all the right boxes for a affordable and powerful image manipulation program.

Pros

This software is free to use and it's code is open source. It can do just about anything that Photoshop can, but this is still a highly technical program that requires prior skills before using.

Cons

There is quite a steep learning curve to GIMP, but there is a wide variety of different tutorials to get one through the curve and onto making progress towards their goals.

The Ultimate Alternative to Photoshop!

Pros

GIMP has been quite the program that I have used for the past 8 years. Before I dived into Photoshop (for school), I used GIMP for all of my art projects. Not only is it free, but it's an incredible learning tool for people that want to get into learning about digital art, design, and photo editing activities.

Cons

I wish the UI (User Interface) was a bit more cheerful, but the important content matter while using GIMP is the piece of work itself!

Powerful Free Alternative to Adobe Suite

When it comes down to cost there is no better option than GIMP. I switched from creative cloud as for my use it does not make sense to have the costly monthly outlay. Once you've got used to it, the tool is very powerful and a genuine alternative.

Pros

Given that it's free, GIMP offers so much value for money when compared to alternatives such as Adobe Photoshop, which costs add up for after you have subscribed for a number of months. There is a lot of power and fuctionality, with all the abilities of Photoshop - as it is open source you can also download loads of extensions from the community to make it even better.

Cons

The user interface and overall ease of use is pretty low - even moving from Photoshop it is somewhat counter-intuitive to use and the general design is a little outdated. It certainly feels like a graphic software that has been created by computer developers, rather than designers, so if you don't know how to do thigs you sometimes need to think like a developer.

Gimp: Illustration and Photo Editing for Everyone

Gimp is a resource with endless possibilities. As an artist I use this program to create textures for character models both in cartoon and realistic styles. I’ve used Gimp to create 2D animations which were later imported into a UI (User Interface). I’ve gone as far as create digital portraits for clients. This software is flexible and reliable and I have continued to use it for over 5 years now.

Pros

As an illustration and image editing program, the advantage that Gimp provides is software that rivals Adobe’s Photoshop. Users can create illustrations from scratch utilizing various brushes and a palette that allows users to manipulate bit depth and color settings such as RGB and CMYK. Gimp can edit several image files including GIFs, PNGs and JPEGs. The program goes a step further and allows...

Cons

The program comes with a steep learning curve. There are several buttons and menus that may intimidate first time users. However with time this program can be mastered. Also the Gimp website features several resources to assist in learning the software.

Top quality free Adobe Photoshop substitute

It's fairly easy to use if you've used and are familiar with Photoshop and the like. We use it for all of our image and graphic manipulation. It's fast, easy and free. For our needs I could never justify paying several hundreds of dollars for Photoshop (industry leader or not).

Pros

Gimp can do almost everything that Photoshop can do for free. I'm not much of a power user but it's amazing what it can do. I often look for features to use just because I can and because the visual effects can be so interesting. It has really evolved over the years with features and improvements in ease of use. With the last update to v2 it runs much faster on Windows 10 and is more efficient with computer resources than it ever used to be.

Cons

Being an open source application means that bug fixes and updates come slower than they would from a for-profit company (like Adobe). But since it's free, who really cares? For a small business like ours it's perfect and it does everything we need to (and more).

Take the time to learn, and GIMP is rewarding

For me, GIMP was a replacement for Photoshop. That being said, I've been totally impressed by the way GIMP has grown over the years. In its current iteration, GIMP can accomplish any image editing task I've thrown at it -- often, this required me to spend time learning how to best accomplish that task in GIMP, but that time has always been rewarded with high quality outputs. Still, I have probably spent as much time fumbling around in confusing with GIMP as I have actually working.

Pros

Unlike a number of other free image manipulation programs, GIMP is both extremely powerful and (relatively) simple to use. Users of Photoshop will not find it to be the most difficult transition. GIMP has just about every feature an average or casual user could want from an image editor. GIMP works well not just for editing photos, but also for digital drawing and graphic design. In most regards for...

Cons

While GIMP has become more user friendly over the years, there are two points new users may find intimidating. First GIMP -- as the full name suggests -- is part of the GNU/Linux lineage and ethos. Users unfamiliar with all this will probably be confused, especially as it relates to saving proprietary formats. Beyond that, amateur image editors will probably find themselves overwhelmed by all of the...

GIMP is where it's at for beginners!

Overall, I have had nothing short of an enjoyable experience using GIMP over the past few years. It is versatile enough that I can use it for everything from making flyers and posters to making thumbnails and title card art for YouTube and Facebook videos. For someone with a limited budget and even more limited technical knowledge when I began, I could not be happier with GIMP and still use it to this day for ninety percent of my projects.

Pros

GIMP offers quite a bit as far as options and competes with some programs out there that can cost sixty dollars or more. When I began using the program, I was brand new to graphic design and generally making artwork and editing visual media on a PC. Through the use of tutorials and other sources that I was able to find on the official forums for GIMP, I was able to learn the program in about half of...

Cons

The thing that I like least about GIMP is probably that in a recent update, a few of the features that I had grown to depend on were taken out which resulted in taking the time to figure out how to proceed. It wasn't a deal-breaking feature, just something that I liked to save time but being that I didn't use it outside of one or two occasions months apart, it wasn't anything that I was willing to stop using GIMP over and I found out how to proceed and get what I needed to do accomplished through searching for help amongst the forums that are set up.

The image editing software that almost everyone should be using (instead of Photoshop)

Whereas some people consider GIMP as a toy software, or a cheap (free) Photoshop replacement, it is not. Instead, GIMP has proven to be a capable, professional software that does not want to be a mere Photoshop clone. On the contrary, they do have their own roadmap, own shortcuts and their own user interface, and even some successful plugins and features of its own (such as resynthesizer) have been...

Pros

I have been using GIMP for many years for my image editing projects (both, pet projects and professional projects) and I have come to realize that it features such an enormous variety of toolboxes, filters, options... that allow any type of image editing, even really complex ones, with impeccable results. Consequently, there is no need to switch to other software like Photoshop or the like. Not to...

Cons

- Small development team with small budget: as a result development happens at a slow pace, even though developers do have great ideas and roadmap. - Lacks non-destructive filters/effects like in Photoshop - Lacks some vector operations (only works with bitmaps) - While there is plenty of documentation and tutorials, most image editing tutorials and manuals are addressed to Photoshop only, and whereas in most cases the same techniques can be reproduced/adapted, it requires extra effort that some users do not want to make. - The fact that it is not so broadly used as Photoshop may be a problem if collaborating with others, even though GIMP opens and saves Photoshop's native file format (although, admittedly, some filters/effects may be lost).

Lots of capability for no money at all

For business applications, it's hard to recommend GIMP for any serious work. While capable, investing in more user-friendly and functional software would be better overall.

Pros

GIMP is an image manipulation program in the same vein as Adobe Photoshop, with many of the same features and tools to allow you to get very similar results to its more professional counterparts. There are many benefits to being free open source software. On top of serving GIMP for free, the code freely available for viewing and modification. Having many decentralized developers means that many improvements...

Cons

GIMP is not as intuitive as competitors like Photoshop, requiring scripting and additional steps to accomplish certain functions. If you plan to become a designer or graphics artist and need to do image manipulation professionally, then GIMP will hinder your abilities to do so. Software parity is important in the professional world, and while GIMP can handle .PSD files it would be better to just use the first party application that the rest of the industry is using. GIMP gains a lot of leeway for being free, since there is no development being backed by a major company. The UI is comparatively clunky and features less accessible compared to paid alternatives. Do not think that you'll be getting the same results as easily in GIMP as you would in other programs.

open-source image editing platform

Generally, GIMP is an excellent alternative open-source editing platform for professionals. It's free availability on all operating systems enable users to work seamlessly.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for a few years now. Earlier on, my experience with this software was not quite right. Now that I am more advanced in graphics and photo edits, I have come to appreciate this open open-source image editing platform. Believe me, when I say this software is excellent, it is because the results are impeccable. GIMP has it all! Its excellent array of features are so good that they...

Cons

the script-fu is not user-friendly. GIMP lacks intuition on new users and can make their experience pretty cumbersome. Some filters and effects don't explain or guide how the image should be modified. It would be awesome if it would support PSD photoshop images. It does not open some files such a JPEG.

The most complete emerging program for graphic design.

One of the greatest benefits that I have received is having a program that works very well in the main operating systems of the market, which has helped me a lot when meeting requirements in work meetings, in which clients ask me specific improvements in my designs. Another beneficial element for me, and for the companies in which I have been working, is the economic savings, the money is invested in operational improvements, which translates into better service for customers and a better quality of life for workers who can perceive significant improvements.

Pros

I like to have a high-quality program completely free, that has helped me a lot to invest in equipment that I need for my work. Similar programs, such as Photoshop, offer the same thing but the issue of licensing restrains any graphic design entrepreneur who seeks to work. Another aspect that I like very much is that I have the support of a large community, that of free software, which gives me a lot...

Cons

Over the years improve all applications that are contained, I have not found negative aspects that warrant my opinion. On the contrary, I am very happy to have software that cares about its users and does not limit its use with expensive licenses. With great care and respect, I believe it is one of the best options in the market for graphic design workers.

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it...

Pros

GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and...

Cons

GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects...

Free Photo-shop Alternative

In conclusion, when using Gimp you will learn how to create fantastic site graphics and compelling WEB to graphics. Gimp educational online videos are the best way to learn how to use Gimp.

Pros

GIMP is also known as the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a great photo editing program that is stress-free to use. It has a lot of things to do with unlimited options on what to do for a picture to make it look cool. The wonderful thing is, it's free! Advantages, As you can expect, GNU Image Manipulation is used to edit images. This program makes photo editing very enjoyable and easy. Sure,...

Cons

GIMP has limited 8-bit depth, making it an unexpected choice for professional use in the first place. Gimp has disadvantages when compared to Photoshop in trivial issues the fact that it lacks the advantage of color management and does not provide control layers.

GIMP is No Wimp! A Solid Choice for Graphics Work; Robust Toolset Rivals Commercial Counterparts

Overall, GIMP is a fine open source replacement for PhotoShop and some of the other expensive creative suites. For a layperson who occasionally designs a banner or image for their website, GIMP is probably overkill and downright daunting. But for a graphics design artist or someone who likes to dabble, the toolset is robust, with elements to rival its commercial counterparts. I don't mind dabbling...

Pros

powerful punch: The GNU Image Manipulation Program.) GIMP is software you install on your computer. To my knowledge there is no SaaS (online software-as-a-service) counterpart. As a regular Linux user one huge benefit for me is that GIMP was initially created for the Linux environment. But unlike many Linux programs, GIMP has a true Windows version that is not poorly ported over. It's as elegant...

Cons

It would be nice to have a few "modes" that hide or reveal tools based on your anticipated usage. For example, a "novice" interface mode would be nice. The help system is decent but is a bit cryptic and designed for the designer (not a layperson). I would love to see better intuitive context-sensitive help. For example, hovering over a tool would give a much more understandable explanation. The screenshot tool could be more accessible (when not working in GIMP).

My experience with GIMP has been great, very professional image editing with impeccable results

GIMP has brought me many benefits in recent years, I have edited in record time images for the websites that I have designed, I have made business cards for professionals, being a web programmer knowing that GIMP has complemented me allows to offer web pages without having to always resort to a professional designer, which reduces the costs of my projects for the end customers, in my work in the company has served me to perform specific tasks when working with web pages. I am very happy with this software that has been very useful for years and has taken me out of trouble. My bosses and clients are happy with my work. Surely I will continue using GIMP for many years.

Pros

I have been using this software for many years to edit images and perform work at the request of my clients in my work as an independent professional, retouching images, banners, logos, among many other things that I have been able to do without complications with GIMP, this application is free , I can use it perfectly without cost, this advantage is very important for me, I love that there are versions...

Cons

What I like least about GIMP is that the existing documentation is very little in English and even less in Spanish, most of its users are German or Russian and the information you have is not good for me, the GIMP community is very small . It is difficult to find someone who will really help you if you have a problem or do not know how to do a particular task. The additional components that can be downloaded from the Internet are free, but not many. It is necessary to perform a manual work in other applications are performed automatically. It has functions that are very advanced and not very intuitive, it has cost me to discover some functions on my own. The graphical interface seems a little sloppy, this could improve to make it more attractive for a larger group of people.

Mr

Free Photoshop replacement!

Pros

GIMP can do just about anything Photoshop can do, plus a few of it's own unique tricks. It easily converts between image formats including SVG files, and can read & write Photoshop PSD files. GIMP can also import Photoshop color pallet files. Some examples of GIMP's advanced features include layer styles (various effects that you can apply including shadows, borders, an emboss effect, and more),...

Cons

As is the case with a lot of free software, some features feel less polished than their commercial counterparts. Some user interface elements may not appear as pixel-perfect as Photoshop, and some interactive features not as smooth. While the GIMP on a Mac feels more stable, the Windows version can be buggy and prone to crashing when using some plugins. The Windows version can also be very slow to...

Best alternative for photoshop

It is perfect for me. Photoshop is very costly for me. Usually for my game development I use inkscape but for altering the output image , now I use gimp and experience is fine enough. I will surely recommend it to others

Pros

The best part which I love about it is that it is open source software. It gives a very good satisfaction and gives a way for other also to improve it. The other best part which I love about it is its price(FREE) . This removes the barrier for many newbies. Other than that the features which I really appreciate about it is frequent update cycles,huge community and options of adding plugins and scripts ( many users donate it for free for other users)

Cons

1.) UI in my opinion is quite old fashioned. 2.) It takes more clicks to achieve the same goal as compared to other rivals like Photoshop 3.) It's compatibility with other software is not so smooth ( this experience may differ from user to user) 4.) It had been quite a time since it was released but still it has failed to make an impact on commercial space ( take the example of blender:- it has acquired attention of many big players in the market) 5.) Performance ( bigger files):- I have noticed that photoshop is much more better in managing bigger project as compared to gimp (not a huge difference but still)

GIMP is seriously powerful now and a keystone to open-source photography workflow

I tried switching to GIMP in Linux back in 2009, but found it awkward to use and wasn't able to achieve the results I wanted easily. Recent versions have been much better and now, with the release of 2.10 which integrates with Darktable, GIMP is a powerful tool indeed. It is open source and free, but please do make donations to support the development of these amazing tools that benefit many users who truly cannot afford to pay for software.

Pros

GIMP is cross platform and will run equally well on Linux, Windows and Mac. This is a big advantage for people who use different computers but are collaborating on a project. My favorite feature of GIMP 2.10 right now is its ability to open RAW files using either Darktable or Rawtherapee where the user can make adjustments, and when finished, close Darktable (Rawtherapee) and have the edited image...

Cons

Until recent editions, GIMP suffered from a rather unattractive interface and opened the main editing window and toolbars separately. While some users preferred this, I found it awkward to to use and arrange on my limited screen space. A single-window mode was introduced in version 2.8 which I prefer.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.