GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Logo

Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Reviews

Suggested alternatives

dochipo
photopad
creacompo-2

I love the variety of features it offers. It allows you to create your ideas with ease and have them look clean and professional.
As I've gotten to know it, I have come to appreciate it. It's a great program and a great price.
I love that it is free and easy to use. I have used this for various projects over the years to make fun and wacky images that I have shared for various uses.
The program is starting to get old, and we can see it. Just by starting it, it lags behind, but it could be worse.
My only frustration with GIMP is that it can be confusing to use at times.
There are a lot of tools that seem difficult to master. The side panels are way too confusing and difficult to navigate.

3,472 reviews

BD

Ben D.

Photographer

Fine Art, self-employed

Image Editing Alternative

Transcript

Ben D: Hi, I'm Ben. I'm a photographer. I give GIMP three out of five, and for more reviews like this,...

DW

David W.

Senior Pastor

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Great Graphic Manipulation

Transcript

David W.: I'm David, I'm a systems administrator in a church and I'd give Gimp a four out of five. We...

Veronica V.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Gimp is my "No Bull***t" Image editor

I've been using GIMP for all my image editing and sometimes even for creating artwork for about a decade now. I never really looked for alternatives because, while it might not be the go-to choice for professional graphic designers, it's everything I need as a wannabe writer and creative. I've designed my own book covers, crafted banners and ads for my social media marketing, and even illustrated my own children's book, which I later turned into an ebook and an audiobook. What I love most about it is how user-friendly it is while offering advanced features similar to other professional software – all for free. It's like child's play to use, and that's why I stick with it.

Pros

Honestly, it all began with "Because it's free!" Who wouldn't want the same cool features as those fancy, pricey image editors? But once I started messing around with it and realized how user-friendly GIMP is, I couldn't imagine switching to more professional tools.

Cons

Yeah, the tool's support might be a bit lacking, but the awesome thing is that it's made up for by the collective knowledge base of a whole community.

Pablo M.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Impressive image editing solution

Pros

It provides all the tools of a paid professional image editing software with an open source license.

Cons

It has not the same level of consistent high quality educative material (videos, tutorials, etc.) to learn new functionalities.

Computer & Network Security, 10,001+ employees

An amazing open-source image editing tool - GIMP

Overall, we use GIMP for our internal poster creation or color correction of internal event images. At times, we also use it for client deliverables. GIMP has to offer alot but only at a price of reliability. You cannot rely on this program 100% of the times, but easy solutions can fix the small issues most of the times.

Pros

1. Open-source: is by far one of its biggest advantage. It is available freely to everybody and is maintained by open-source enthusiasts over the globe. The tool is replicated with the biggest image editing competitors and therefore, becomes easy to use for anyone new. 2. Precision: is something that does not come easily in open-source tools. However, GIMP is different in that aspect. For sharp image editing, GIMP provides precision, be it color grading or slicing an image.

Cons

Stability: I have faced issues like, the tool stops responding at times. I have also felt that at times, the buttons becomes un-clickable and if you try to click a button, the button above it starts working. These types of bugs can easily be fixed with new releases, but since this is an open-source tool, there are no finite cycles being followed for new releases. Therefore, be prepared to experiment in-case you face these. I usually un-intalled and re-installed the program to fix the issues.

Tei C.

Music, self-employed

A saviour for the humanity

Happy and glad there is such software exist. I do not need to waste money on expensive software after having this!

Pros

It is unbelievable that this software can do almost what a paid app could do. Photo editing, designing, and cropping are all working perfectly without any issue. It doesn't consume much computer resources. Most importantly, this is totally free!

Cons

It might be a bit confused for beginner, but it is not an issue after learning it. There is almost no support at all.

RG

Ryan G.

Fine Art, self-employed

GIMP as a cheaper alternative

Pros

That it captures most all of the tools of the major editing outlet for free.

Cons

Having to adjust to the new tools and less features.

WW

William Wesley M.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Excellent Alternative to Subscription Software...

Pros

...and has been for a long time. GIMP is versatile, user-friendly, and free. Easily add plugins.

Cons

Some functions feel clunky and could maybe be more intuitive.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Great product and not cost prohibitive

Great product and much cheaper than Adobe programs

Pros

GIMP is easy to use and allows me to use so many advanced graphic design techniques. It's a necessary tool for my graphic design side of the business

Cons

I wish some of the add-ons were easier to load, but overall it is terrific!

AA

Aiden A.

Computer Games, self-employed

Not my favorite

Pros

Using gimp is free! I think that’s honestly its main selling point.

Cons

It really just feels like a more complicated clunky version of photoshop. Not my favorite

RC

Radosław C.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

GIMP - my graphic program

Pros

For me its just perfect, low costs and high possibilities

Cons

interface can be a little tricky at begining, but in some time it becomes intuitive

MM

Mark M.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

I use this to convert files that I can't open

Pros

Export works as I need.

Cons

A little tough for me to find features.

Design, 1-10 employees

Free and Open Source Photoshop Alternative

From large outdoor displays to business cards and websites layouts, GIMP has got us covered here at the studio. It is our go to application for graphics manipulation and everytime we need to edit or create an image from scratch, this is where we go for.

Pros

The ease of use and installation make GIMP a no brainer for a small design studio like ours. It is very similar to the Adobe Photoshop Suite, lacking some resources but still very strong for daily tasks.

Cons

The lack of resources would be the most negative part, but there are many workarounds combining other free softwares like Krita and Inkscape that make it well worth a try. The investment is time to learn and get comfortable at using it.

NS

Nikki S.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Free photo editing

GIMP is nice to have for certian functions, and if a person can't afford their current program it will probably work as a free alternative. I used GIMP to create images with vectors for my business and for customers. I don't use it daily because I just don't like it but it is nice to have incase I need it.

Pros

Who dosen't love free stuff? This is free software and great photo editing tools are provided. Open source. Most images files will open and GIMP supports plugins. Color adjustment, bezier curves, noise reduction, filters, gradients, vector images and customisable brushes are provided. Resize without losing quality. The GIMP community forum can help you if you get stuck or lost.

Cons

Ironically for software in the creative field, GIMP dosent look very nice. It's outdated and ugly to he honest. The way GIMP operates is just very foreign to me and I don't like it. Everything is backwards from where it usually is.

ML

Michael L.

Entertainment, self-employed

The best free image editing software

I downloaded it after using photoshop and I got used to it quickly after switching. I never had any problems outside if a folder has thousands of items in it, when choosing to make an export to name the export and to choose what file type it will be, it loads every file name into the browser which can make it lag if there is over thousands of items in the folder being opened.

Pros

It's fully free and it's designed to be quick to learn and use. Missing some settings photoshop has, but overall does the same job or better.

Cons

Missing some of the bigger features of photoshop and the extensions. But in most cases they aren't needed for most needs.

JC

James C.

Construction, self-employed

GIMP at a glance

I use GIMP on a daily basis. It comes in very handy since I work with a lot of images. This is a hobby of mine

Pros

I like the thousands of tools and images offered.I like the ease of use The help files and the tutorialThe fact that it is free and a very good competitor to Adobe Photoshop

Cons

The loading time that it takes the program to open. That is the only thing I dislike about GIMP.It is basically a very good program

Sébastien L.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it...

Pros

GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and...

Cons

GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects...

JM

John M.

Entertainment, self-employed

GIMP is where it's at for beginners!

Overall, I have had nothing short of an enjoyable experience using GIMP over the past few years. It is versatile enough that I can use it for everything from making flyers and posters to making thumbnails and title card art for YouTube and Facebook videos. For someone with a limited budget and even more limited technical knowledge when I began, I could not be happier with GIMP and still use it to this day for ninety percent of my projects.

Pros

GIMP offers quite a bit as far as options and competes with some programs out there that can cost sixty dollars or more. When I began using the program, I was brand new to graphic design and generally making artwork and editing visual media on a PC. Through the use of tutorials and other sources that I was able to find on the official forums for GIMP, I was able to learn the program in about half of...

Cons

The thing that I like least about GIMP is probably that in a recent update, a few of the features that I had grown to depend on were taken out which resulted in taking the time to figure out how to proceed. It wasn't a deal-breaking feature, just something that I liked to save time but being that I didn't use it outside of one or two occasions months apart, it wasn't anything that I was willing to stop using GIMP over and I found out how to proceed and get what I needed to do accomplished through searching for help amongst the forums that are set up.

NT

Nana Twum A.

Graphic Design, self-employed

Good news about Gimp

Say I had to give this a total rating out of 10, from the standpoint of a freelance designer I am coming in around 8.4. The only things to not like about this software is it is not adobe and that's fine! You can design edit photos, draw, do digital illustrations ,and also make professional promotional pieces for both web and print. This software is free and has great midrange where a creative person should be ale to get the job done. If had to relate it to a car, randomly because I love cars this software is like a modded Mazda speed 3 manual transmission. So that being said it's not the BMW but punches well, easily acceassible (again a free software) has all you need and win race in it's class, and also a sleeper underdog when set against subscription services.

Pros

There are a lot of features about this soft ware or platform that I can highlight from the perspective of a Designer .I have a design business and I just recently started playing around with canvas as a tool but GIMP has most of what anyone doing photo manipulation would need. What I like best about Gimp is primarily, that it is a free software. As far as free there are plenty of brushes ie that come...

Cons

Cons A obviously there are some negatives but I think they are fair being that its a free software. My main problems with it are, of course, it is not adobe and doesn't offer a cloud experience meaning that I can access other work I do a vector design or something but then have to, drag and drop it in, and have it open in another window rather than just to upload it from the saved works. Another problem...

Aníbal M.

Used monthly for 2+ years

My experience with GIMP has been great, very professional image editing with impeccable results

GIMP has brought me many benefits in recent years, I have edited in record time images for the websites that I have designed, I have made business cards for professionals, being a web programmer knowing that GIMP has complemented me allows to offer web pages without having to always resort to a professional designer, which reduces the costs of my projects for the end customers, in my work in the company has served me to perform specific tasks when working with web pages. I am very happy with this software that has been very useful for years and has taken me out of trouble. My bosses and clients are happy with my work. Surely I will continue using GIMP for many years.

Pros

I have been using this software for many years to edit images and perform work at the request of my clients in my work as an independent professional, retouching images, banners, logos, among many other things that I have been able to do without complications with GIMP, this application is free , I can use it perfectly without cost, this advantage is very important for me, I love that there are versions...

Cons

What I like least about GIMP is that the existing documentation is very little in English and even less in Spanish, most of its users are German or Russian and the information you have is not good for me, the GIMP community is very small . It is difficult to find someone who will really help you if you have a problem or do not know how to do a particular task. The additional components that can be downloaded from the Internet are free, but not many. It is necessary to perform a manual work in other applications are performed automatically. It has functions that are very advanced and not very intuitive, it has cost me to discover some functions on my own. The graphical interface seems a little sloppy, this could improve to make it more attractive for a larger group of people.

Nimanthi R.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

open-source image editing platform

Generally, GIMP is an excellent alternative open-source editing platform for professionals. It's free availability on all operating systems enable users to work seamlessly.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for a few years now. Earlier on, my experience with this software was not quite right. Now that I am more advanced in graphics and photo edits, I have come to appreciate this open open-source image editing platform. Believe me, when I say this software is excellent, it is because the results are impeccable. GIMP has it all! Its excellent array of features are so good that they...

Cons

the script-fu is not user-friendly. GIMP lacks intuition on new users and can make their experience pretty cumbersome. Some filters and effects don't explain or guide how the image should be modified. It would be awesome if it would support PSD photoshop images. It does not open some files such a JPEG.

AT

Abhishek T.

Computer Games, self-employed

Best alternative for photoshop

It is perfect for me. Photoshop is very costly for me. Usually for my game development I use inkscape but for altering the output image , now I use gimp and experience is fine enough. I will surely recommend it to others

Pros

The best part which I love about it is that it is open source software. It gives a very good satisfaction and gives a way for other also to improve it. The other best part which I love about it is its price(FREE) . This removes the barrier for many newbies. Other than that the features which I really appreciate about it is frequent update cycles,huge community and options of adding plugins and scripts ( many users donate it for free for other users)

Cons

1.) UI in my opinion is quite old fashioned. 2.) It takes more clicks to achieve the same goal as compared to other rivals like Photoshop 3.) It's compatibility with other software is not so smooth ( this experience may differ from user to user) 4.) It had been quite a time since it was released but still it has failed to make an impact on commercial space ( take the example of blender:- it has acquired attention of many big players in the market) 5.) Performance ( bigger files):- I have noticed that photoshop is much more better in managing bigger project as compared to gimp (not a huge difference but still)

Research, 1-10 employees

GIMP Review

Pros

I'm a happy and frequent user of GIMP especially after some experience using photoshop as well. It is important to clarify that GIMP is the kind of software that does not try to compete or overpower Photoshop. The most important aspect is that it is not developed commercially and it's free and open-source, unlike Photoshop. All its updates are also free and you can have it on as many computers as...

Cons

The interface can be a bit confusing (I never liked so many floating windows) but that's the case with o lot of similar software too. There is a deep learning curve that is accompanied with not the best documentation, but once you get familiar with it, it shouldn't be a problem. In terms of usage from professionals, there are a few limitations so it shouldn't be considered as a strict replacement...

LS

Linos S.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Fully and easily customizable

Pros

GIMP supports virtually any file-type of raster graphics one needs to work on. Vector graphics can be imported and exported, but not so easy to create from scratch. Animated GIFs can be edited, but again, not built. But, if one needs to customize GIMP, they have a lot of options. The easiest would be to find a ready-made plugin, which can cover up for almost everything not included in the main application. Two, there is the Py-Fu console, which is a simple way of creating and optimizing plugins. Three, if you have the knowledge, you can go straight to the source code, and make your life easier but also contribute to how other people work with graphics.

Cons

GIMP's learning curve was a pain back in the day, when access to internet was not available to everyone 24/7. I believe things are easier today; the learning curve is still steep, but apart from the manual, one can also read and watch tutorials that make it easier.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Ideal for retouching photos

Actually for me personally it has been a great advantage to have Gimp because I can use it on any machine without the need for licenses, and it works a lot for the retouching and editing of photographs that is the main use I have given to it and that I have recommended to my supervised that they use. It's easy, fast, it's light, it's practical and no more expertise is required.

Pros

As an editor of an internal communication medium on a daily basis, and in the absence of private licenses for the installation of software recognized for graphic editing, Gimp became an ally for journalists who had to edit their photographs daily before uploading it to the news portal . The ease of installation, and ease of use for editing and retouching photos in size, color, brightness and resolution is for beginners and there is a lot of information and online tutorials for those who do not know it.

Cons

Very little publicity about its existence and the new features that the new version brings; besides, it is not intuitive for other functions that are not simply the retouching of images or photographs; as a competitor of photoshop it's a great alternative, but for quick and easy designs for social networks, there are other more intuitive programs for people who are not specialists in design program management. The official support is not very clear, and you should always resort to tutorials from other users.

AD

Alessandro D.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 10,001+ employees

Free, open source, useful Image editor

I use this software daily in order to make, presentations, to write a lot of my notes or simply because I want a new background for my PC. Once you become familiar with it it's useful and, you can basically run it on any PC.

Pros

This is a FREE software which you can use to crop, edit (colour, add shapes, rescale, tilt, mirror, add layers on, draw on, put on perspective, blur, alpha filter, add lights and so much more). You can save you images in either .xcf, which is the native GIMP format, so you can edit the file later on, or export it in a ton of different formats: png, jpg, gif, pgm, pmb, psd, pdf, tip, bmp, xpm and many more. The fact that it's free and can run on Linux, Mac OS and Windows is definitely a pro, since it means that you can use it on any PC, be it at work, at home or literally anywhere... oh, and there's a portable version too, so you don't even have to install it (for instance on the PC at work).

Cons

In the beginning it could be a little difficult to understand some things and personally I had to figure out how to hide the two default panels with the most useful commands, when they cover the image you have to edit. Anyway it's not really too big a deal, since on the net you can always find a lot of forums and/or videos with useful tips and commands.

Industrial Automation, 501-1,000 employees

Gimp- Great to have

I use GIMP on a daily basis to do all sets of tasks which could range from removing background to texture creation and image filtering. Compared to Photoshop, I believe Gimp is an easier image-manipulating software to use. Unfortunately, when most people try a new software they can easily get stuck in the first hour and just abandon it. That's not the case with Gimp since you get accustomed to it very quickly. GIMP has actually better workflow and ergonomy than Photoshop. The selection tools are just incredibly good which is a big help whenever I need to do precision work. All-in-all, It is a simple and fun software to use.

Pros

The aspect that for me stood out the most is that Gimp is an open-source software. Therefore you do not have to pay anything and you get a great software in return.

Cons

If you using Gimp for more specific works, you have to be aware that It lacks a few "important" aspects such as the support for high bit depth images (.hdr, .exr) which is very useful for those of us who work in the 3D industry, and support for CMYK. Photoshop has hundreds if not thousands of additional features and capabilities,