GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Logo

Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Reviews - Page 2

3,479 reviews

MA

Md Amir M.

Design, 1-10 employees

Unleash Your Creative Potential with GIMP

GIMP, or GNU Image Manipulation Program, stands tall as a formidable open-source alternative to premium image editing software. GIMP earns my highest recommendation for anyone seeking a powerful yet accessible image editing software. With its expansive feature set, user-friendly interface, and passionate community, GIMP empowers creators to push boundaries and turn imagination into reality. Embrace the freedom of creativity with GIMP, and unlock endless possibilities for your artistic endeavours.

Pros

As an avid photographer and graphic designer, I've explored various tools over the years, but GIMP consistently impresses me with its robust features and versatility.One of the most striking aspects of GIMP is its extensive toolkit, rivaling even some paid software options. From basic adjustments like cropping and resizing to advanced techniques such as layer masking and non-destructive editing, GIMP offers a comprehensive suite suitable for both amateurs and professionals alike. The ability to extend its functionality through plugins and scripts further enhances its adaptability to diverse creative needs.

Cons

While GIMP offers a wide range of features for image editing and manipulation, it may lack some advanced capabilities found in commercial software. For example, certain advanced retouching tools, content-aware fill, or seamless integration with cloud services may not be as robust or polished in GIMP compared to its commercial counterparts.

JW

Jeffrey W.

Gimp and Open Source Software

All my photo editing, bitmap graphics and special effects. It takes a lot of extensions that can become costly with photoshop and it all comes free, and because it is open source there is a lot of free online support that could be costly with photoshop. I challenge you to try gimp for 2 months and see if you do not get a lot more done without all the Bells and whistles.

Pros

Gimp has become my go to program, it has all the robustness of adobe Photoshop and more there has been so many things that I have been able to do.

Cons

I have no complaints with gimp for the last 22 years I have been using gamp almost exclusively. It is able to complete any task that I need and I see no cons with this program

Fabrizio M.

Internet, 51-200 employees

GIMP programma gratutio ma...

La mia esperenzia con GIMP e neutra, apprezzo molto il fatto che è un programma free, anche se non sei un professionista del settore è molto intuitivo e abbastanza facile da utilizzare

Pros

Beh il programma e al 100% gratuito non necessita di abbonamento, mi è piaciuto il fatto che modificare foto molto complesse risulta abbastanza facile editare con GIMP, è quasi alla pari con programmi più noti (a pagamento), offre molte funzioni utili per l'editing completo di un'immaggine, ci sono un'infinità di funzioni, delle volte ma non sempre lo uso come editing di loghi personalizzati del resto rimane un bel software da provare per chi è amante dell'editing

Cons

Di GIMP mi è piaciuto di meno il fatto di esportazione dell'immaggine non risulta come volevo venisse, essendo un programma gratuito ha molte funzioni ma non utili per rendere un'immaggine perfetta, quando esporti il progretto in file .png (trasparente) e lo apri con il pc l'immaggine risulta piena di imperfezioni quindi bisogna a parere mio lavorare un pò di più su alcune funzioni: colore, ritaglio dello sfondo queste cose rendono il programma noioso perchè riaprire l'immaggine e rieditare è scocciante

Showing original review in Italian. See translation

DO

Daniel O.

Animation, 1-10 employees

GIMP is Amazing and i wouldn't sleep on it

Really helps when needed to alter an image such as removing a background colour or image or even creating an image from a photo and excluding or including other details onto the image. Great for editing images. Great for colouring comics as i do a lot of comics and illustration work, came in handy to give more clear colours especially with the quick selection tools.

Pros

- Being able to export to multiple formats. - The editing tools and effects that could be applied to images to adjust the colours, brightness, contrast and saturation. - The Features are great for making a digital painting or adding colours to comics, especially the tools that help the work proceed faster like magic wand select tool, colour selection, increasing the sharpness of an image or adding a other effects on the image.

Cons

- Has a bit of a learning curve and if you don't take some time to learn the software you may find yourself getting frustrated considering it has some differences from other similar software. -

JT

Joshua T.

Fine Art, 1-10 employees

Doesn't get much better

This software has been a godsend to my art. No more making ten versions of something and then extracting outlines by hand, using hundreds of dollars in expensive colored pencils to adjust an unwanted color scheme, wasting all that time and damaging nerves for what is not a quick selection away.

Pros

Quick tools for removing unwanted colors from images for monochrome printing. It's a huge time and money saver in the tattoo industry. I can pull a full color image and have a basic outline stripped in less than two minutes.

Cons

Text on a path. The bane of my existence is the massive effort it takes to print text on a simple curve in GIMP. It's the ONLY thing I dislike about it.

RF

Robert F.

Online Media, self-employed

GIMP Rocks My World Everyday, and It Will Do the Same For You, Too!

I click on the GIMP icon on my laptop taskbar everyday, and that takes about ten seconds for GIMP to be ready to go. I can pop an image in with one Control V, and I am ready to go. Or I can bring up a project with one click. It is super easy to use. And there is some serious functional power under the hood of GIMP. Yes, there is a learning curve, like I've mentioned, but it just is not that big a deal, at least for me...and I am not some super brain, either. Okay, so I give GIMP my Two Thumbs Up Award for what I do. I use it a lot, and if you haven't been using GIMP, load it up and start using it.

Pros

What I like about this software is I can use it on my own laptop and it doesn't require a huge amount of storage space and it is freeware, and I love all the stuff I can do. I keep finding out things I can do that make me one happy image creator. I work a lot with images and so one thing for sure is how I can quickly and efficiently remove backgrounds or grab part of the image that I want to use. GIMP gives me at least five different ways I can do this. I can go on and on about what I can do with GIMP when it comes to taking an image and layering other images, and coming up with some fairly decent and unique designs.

Cons

Hmmm. Well, the there is a learning curve. And, yeah, I'd love it if I could just wave my magic pen and, hey, presto! --- the job was done exactly the way I want. But part of the process of creating images is inside the process of using the tools, and finding new and super cool ways to do something. What I mean is that by getting deep into GIMP and messing about, I have stumbled on some results that have made me some original images that help me get eyes on the prize...you know, converts visitors into return visitors, and into customers.

JG

Joel G.

Animation, self-employed

Gimp: Illustration and Photo Editing for Everyone

Gimp is a resource with endless possibilities. As an artist I use this program to create textures for character models both in cartoon and realistic styles. I’ve used Gimp to create 2D animations which were later imported into a UI (User Interface). I’ve gone as far as create digital portraits for clients. This software is flexible and reliable and I have continued to use it for over 5 years now.

Pros

As an illustration and image editing program, the advantage that Gimp provides is software that rivals Adobe’s Photoshop. Users can create illustrations from scratch utilizing various brushes and a palette that allows users to manipulate bit depth and color settings such as RGB and CMYK. Gimp can edit several image files including GIFs, PNGs and JPEGs. The program goes a step further and allows...

Cons

The program comes with a steep learning curve. There are several buttons and menus that may intimidate first time users. However with time this program can be mastered. Also the Gimp website features several resources to assist in learning the software.

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Take the time to learn, and GIMP is rewarding

For me, GIMP was a replacement for Photoshop. That being said, I've been totally impressed by the way GIMP has grown over the years. In its current iteration, GIMP can accomplish any image editing task I've thrown at it -- often, this required me to spend time learning how to best accomplish that task in GIMP, but that time has always been rewarded with high quality outputs. Still, I have probably spent as much time fumbling around in confusing with GIMP as I have actually working.

Pros

Unlike a number of other free image manipulation programs, GIMP is both extremely powerful and (relatively) simple to use. Users of Photoshop will not find it to be the most difficult transition. GIMP has just about every feature an average or casual user could want from an image editor. GIMP works well not just for editing photos, but also for digital drawing and graphic design. In most regards for...

Cons

While GIMP has become more user friendly over the years, there are two points new users may find intimidating. First GIMP -- as the full name suggests -- is part of the GNU/Linux lineage and ethos. Users unfamiliar with all this will probably be confused, especially as it relates to saving proprietary formats. Beyond that, amateur image editors will probably find themselves overwhelmed by all of the...

Josip L.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Great Free alternative for Adobe Photoshop

With Gimp I am creating weekly flyers with products from our company. We can save an enormous amount of money by doing this by ourselves and not some external design company.

Pros

Gimp is an open-source image manipulation program what means it is absolutely free to use. Also, you will receive regular updates which add new features and fixes bugs including security issues. It has all the abilities that for example Adobe Photoshop and other commercial programs have. It can offer even more because it is easily extensible and flexible for every environment with lots of great community plugins and scripts.

Cons

The user interface of Gimp is not the most beautiful one but its function is very good. It has a lot of menus and submenus so for beginners it may be a little harder to achieve some more complex operations such as retouch of a face or double exposure. Also, compatibility with Adobe file formats exists but don't except that it works perfectly. Most of the time it works flawlessly if you are opening the document from older versions of Photoshop because newer version needs some updating and updates occur approximately every 2 months which is still faster than what Adobe is doing with their Photoshop.

Graphic Design, 11-50 employees

Lots of capability for no money at all

For business applications, it's hard to recommend GIMP for any serious work. While capable, investing in more user-friendly and functional software would be better overall.

Pros

GIMP is an image manipulation program in the same vein as Adobe Photoshop, with many of the same features and tools to allow you to get very similar results to its more professional counterparts. There are many benefits to being free open source software. On top of serving GIMP for free, the code freely available for viewing and modification. Having many decentralized developers means that many improvements...

Cons

GIMP is not as intuitive as competitors like Photoshop, requiring scripting and additional steps to accomplish certain functions. If you plan to become a designer or graphics artist and need to do image manipulation professionally, then GIMP will hinder your abilities to do so. Software parity is important in the professional world, and while GIMP can handle .PSD files it would be better to just use the first party application that the rest of the industry is using. GIMP gains a lot of leeway for being free, since there is no development being backed by a major company. The UI is comparatively clunky and features less accessible compared to paid alternatives. Do not think that you'll be getting the same results as easily in GIMP as you would in other programs.

Luis Ignacio C.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

The most complete emerging program for graphic design.

One of the greatest benefits that I have received is having a program that works very well in the main operating systems of the market, which has helped me a lot when meeting requirements in work meetings, in which clients ask me specific improvements in my designs. Another beneficial element for me, and for the companies in which I have been working, is the economic savings, the money is invested in operational improvements, which translates into better service for customers and a better quality of life for workers who can perceive significant improvements.

Pros

I like to have a high-quality program completely free, that has helped me a lot to invest in equipment that I need for my work. Similar programs, such as Photoshop, offer the same thing but the issue of licensing restrains any graphic design entrepreneur who seeks to work. Another aspect that I like very much is that I have the support of a large community, that of free software, which gives me a lot...

Cons

Over the years improve all applications that are contained, I have not found negative aspects that warrant my opinion. On the contrary, I am very happy to have software that cares about its users and does not limit its use with expensive licenses. With great care and respect, I believe it is one of the best options in the market for graphic design workers.

Design, self-employed

Free Photo-shop Alternative

In conclusion, when using Gimp you will learn how to create fantastic site graphics and compelling WEB to graphics. Gimp educational online videos are the best way to learn how to use Gimp.

Pros

GIMP is also known as the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a great photo editing program that is stress-free to use. It has a lot of things to do with unlimited options on what to do for a picture to make it look cool. The wonderful thing is, it's free! Advantages, As you can expect, GNU Image Manipulation is used to edit images. This program makes photo editing very enjoyable and easy. Sure,...

Cons

GIMP has limited 8-bit depth, making it an unexpected choice for professional use in the first place. Gimp has disadvantages when compared to Photoshop in trivial issues the fact that it lacks the advantage of color management and does not provide control layers.

Vernessa T.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

GIMP is No Wimp! A Solid Choice for Graphics Work; Robust Toolset Rivals Commercial Counterparts

Overall, GIMP is a fine open source replacement for PhotoShop and some of the other expensive creative suites. For a layperson who occasionally designs a banner or image for their website, GIMP is probably overkill and downright daunting. But for a graphics design artist or someone who likes to dabble, the toolset is robust, with elements to rival its commercial counterparts. I don't mind dabbling...

Pros

powerful punch: The GNU Image Manipulation Program.) GIMP is software you install on your computer. To my knowledge there is no SaaS (online software-as-a-service) counterpart. As a regular Linux user one huge benefit for me is that GIMP was initially created for the Linux environment. But unlike many Linux programs, GIMP has a true Windows version that is not poorly ported over. It's as elegant...

Cons

It would be nice to have a few "modes" that hide or reveal tools based on your anticipated usage. For example, a "novice" interface mode would be nice. The help system is decent but is a bit cryptic and designed for the designer (not a layperson). I would love to see better intuitive context-sensitive help. For example, hovering over a tool would give a much more understandable explanation. The screenshot tool could be more accessible (when not working in GIMP).

MC

Martin C.

Mr

Free Photoshop replacement!

Pros

GIMP can do just about anything Photoshop can do, plus a few of it's own unique tricks. It easily converts between image formats including SVG files, and can read & write Photoshop PSD files. GIMP can also import Photoshop color pallet files. Some examples of GIMP's advanced features include layer styles (various effects that you can apply including shadows, borders, an emboss effect, and more),...

Cons

As is the case with a lot of free software, some features feel less polished than their commercial counterparts. Some user interface elements may not appear as pixel-perfect as Photoshop, and some interactive features not as smooth. While the GIMP on a Mac feels more stable, the Windows version can be buggy and prone to crashing when using some plugins. The Windows version can also be very slow to...

KP

Kumar P.

Information Services, 501-1,000 employees

Best open source image editor.

So far the experience have been amazing , GIMP essential tools are great , easily on par with paid product from enterprise like Adobe Photoshop etc. If the support can be enhanced a bit , this will be killer open source product.

Pros

GIMP is a capable, adjustable and responsive tool. GIMP's brush based tools such as clone/healing , burn/dodge tool are the excellent , even with high resolution images it works like a charm. It allows a large degree of customization which is quite impressive.

Cons

GIMP's selection tools could be bit more user friendly especially with the advance/complicated settings option. Also the support for GIMP could be a bit better but since this is an open source project and not an enterprise product with dedicated support , we are highly grateful to the developers helping in providing support

Carlos C.

Research, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

The image editing software that almost everyone should be using (instead of Photoshop)

Whereas some people consider GIMP as a toy software, or a cheap (free) Photoshop replacement, it is not. Instead, GIMP has proven to be a capable, professional software that does not want to be a mere Photoshop clone. On the contrary, they do have their own roadmap, own shortcuts and their own user interface, and even some successful plugins and features of its own (such as resynthesizer) have been...

Pros

I have been using GIMP for many years for my image editing projects (both, pet projects and professional projects) and I have come to realize that it features such an enormous variety of toolboxes, filters, options... that allow any type of image editing, even really complex ones, with impeccable results. Consequently, there is no need to switch to other software like Photoshop or the like. Not to...

Cons

- Small development team with small budget: as a result development happens at a slow pace, even though developers do have great ideas and roadmap. - Lacks non-destructive filters/effects like in Photoshop - Lacks some vector operations (only works with bitmaps) - While there is plenty of documentation and tutorials, most image editing tutorials and manuals are addressed to Photoshop only, and whereas in most cases the same techniques can be reproduced/adapted, it requires extra effort that some users do not want to make. - The fact that it is not so broadly used as Photoshop may be a problem if collaborating with others, even though GIMP opens and saves Photoshop's native file format (although, admittedly, some filters/effects may be lost).

JW

John W.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Top quality free Adobe Photoshop substitute

It's fairly easy to use if you've used and are familiar with Photoshop and the like. We use it for all of our image and graphic manipulation. It's fast, easy and free. For our needs I could never justify paying several hundreds of dollars for Photoshop (industry leader or not).

Pros

Gimp can do almost everything that Photoshop can do for free. I'm not much of a power user but it's amazing what it can do. I often look for features to use just because I can and because the visual effects can be so interesting. It has really evolved over the years with features and improvements in ease of use. With the last update to v2 it runs much faster on Windows 10 and is more efficient with computer resources than it ever used to be.

Cons

Being an open source application means that bug fixes and updates come slower than they would from a for-profit company (like Adobe). But since it's free, who really cares? For a small business like ours it's perfect and it does everything we need to (and more).

Nitin S.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Remarkable easy to use photo editing software for beginners

Overall gimp is nice to have software for designers but its a life savour for deveopers who needs lots of images to add on websites. Its best for linux system and really helpful for developers and beginners.

Pros

Even if it lacks features, I loved that I can import photoshop plugins in gimp and extends its capability. Ultimately it reolace photoshop on Linux system for high end photo editing work. Also its really easy to learn the software even if you don't have any design background.

Cons

For large file size system gets freezed or slowed down. Needs restarting several times resulting frustration. Their online version needs lots of improvements like uploading and exporting multiple formats.

MV

Misty V.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Don't under estimate GIMP!

I love this software overall. It's easy to install and run with multiple processes at one time it doesn't cause issues like I have had with others in the past. You do not have to have a high-end pc or macbook pro to get started with GIMP.

Pros

This is an amazing tool compared to the others on the market. This ran with ease on my PC and didn't cause me any issues. They send out updates and offer tons of documentation. The software is great for beginners or professionals. It runs on macOS and Windows while not requiring too many specs. HIGHLY recommend

Cons

The overall GUI interface feels outdated it could use a modern revamp.

Ray A.

Photography, self-employed

GIMP is seriously powerful now and a keystone to open-source photography workflow

I tried switching to GIMP in Linux back in 2009, but found it awkward to use and wasn't able to achieve the results I wanted easily. Recent versions have been much better and now, with the release of 2.10 which integrates with Darktable, GIMP is a powerful tool indeed. It is open source and free, but please do make donations to support the development of these amazing tools that benefit many users who truly cannot afford to pay for software.

Pros

GIMP is cross platform and will run equally well on Linux, Windows and Mac. This is a big advantage for people who use different computers but are collaborating on a project. My favorite feature of GIMP 2.10 right now is its ability to open RAW files using either Darktable or Rawtherapee where the user can make adjustments, and when finished, close Darktable (Rawtherapee) and have the edited image...

Cons

Until recent editions, GIMP suffered from a rather unattractive interface and opened the main editing window and toolbars separately. While some users preferred this, I found it awkward to to use and arrange on my limited screen space. A single-window mode was introduced in version 2.8 which I prefer.

BS

Ben S.

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Cost Efficient Alternative to Photoshop

Overall, GIMP is a cost-effective photo editing tool that shares many of the same features and functions of Photoshop and other editing programs. We've enjoyed every minute of using this open-source program, which has allowed us to remove an expense from our computer budget!

Pros

GIMP has most of the features and functionality that one enjoys using with Photoshop, without the high user fee prices that Adobe sets. Open source and available to download on PC or Mac.

Cons

We have no complaints at this time. We've been able to effectively utilize GIMP to our satisfaction.

SM

Sayed M.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

The tool has been proven to be a very powerful tool in photo editing and drawing

Pros

GIMP This program is the oldest and most famous program for processing graphics and images is available on the systems of UNIX and GNU / Linux. It has been proven very quickly, very powerful program in the design of digital images and digital features and easy to deal with the tools within the program with beginners or professionals and is characterized as cheap compared to other expensive design programs...

Cons

Slower in performance but very acceptable   It does not support 16-bit accuracy and this is my opinion the flaw is the good news that this defect will be resolved in the next version according to some sites. Some specifications need to be installed and not the basis of the program It does not contain a photo organizer program like Bridge It does not contain a RAW adapter and this is not necessary because most cameras come with RAW format converter. You will also find a free alternative to RAW format conversion It does not open some file types such as JPEG-2000

Simon M.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Go Open Source! It's a lot easier to run a media start-up.

Being community driven alone makes this product feel so much better. And it has come a long since we first tried it a few years ago. GIMP has evolved as we've learned our way around it. Looking forward to a future with greater updates to the UI and workflow.

Pros

The fact that it can almost do everything that Photoshop can do and for no charge at all - this helped us a ton. We did not have to pay a monthly subscription that over multiple users, adds up to quite a fee. Adding functionality that isn't otherwise provided is easy thanks to a large collection of assorted extensions.

Cons

For all the features it provides, one very important feature is missing. The ability to edit and render CMYK images, without having to run through a few hoops. Since most of our work is for online use, we do not see it as a limitation. But for someone looking at print media work alone, they might have to wait a few months before the official release has this functionality baked in.

SP

Simone P.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

Gimp Review 2019 - The Best Free Alternative To Photoshop

Gimp does not have all of the features that Photoshop does, but is pretty close, and the fact that it is free you can't complain. The software is however open source, so you can make changes to it, and a quick google, and you can normally find a way or a tutorial to achieve what you wanted. I love Gimp and have been using it for years for Art and Graphics design, as well as other personal projects. The software is able to save your work in so many formats, making it easy to use your work across other platforms. A massive thumbs up.

Pros

The overall and best thing about this software is that it is free. This is a great alternative to Adobe Photoshop, and will not disappoint you. The fact that this software is free does not mean that it is lacking in features. Gimp has many ways in which you can retouch your images, has amazing tools for cropping, colour adjustment, noise reduction, gradients, customizable brushes and many other tools that you can use. If you are looking for more advanced features, Gimp also covers this with layer masks, filters, bezier curves and even has an animation package. The customizable brushes are a must for any artist, and adding them is so simple. This makes Graphic Design and artwork very easy to achieve the look and feel that you want.

Cons

Occasionally, and I mean very occasionally, Gimp software might have a little glitch. This does not seem to effect my work though, and I haven't lost any, but may result in a action box remaining on the screen after it has finished doing it's thing. This is not really a problem though as I just place my window that I am working on, over the top of it, and it is no longer visible. Gimp does not have all of the features that Photoshop does, but is pretty close, and the fact that it is free you can't complain. The software is however open source, so you can make changes to it, and a quick google, and you can normally

AA

Asanka A.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Image editing doesn't have to be expensive - but it comes with few caveats.

Kind of steep learning curve and takes getting used to - specially if you are already used to some commercial solutions. But, once the initial learning is done it can be intuitive on it's own way. It's also feature rich and supports plug-ins, which can be used to extend it's functionality.

Pros

It's free and open source. It's also very regularly updated, and is as feature rich as some very expensive counterparts.

Cons

Support - you'd have to depend on some community resources as well as wait for issues to be fixed by community (you can always take the code and make the fixes yourself - but very few people actually can do that kind of work)