GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Logo

Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Reviews - Page 4

3,479 reviews

Retail, 1-10 employees

Powerful, not intuitive

So my experience is based on many years of using the major app pho**sh**, which is expensive. I find myself looking for the tool icons I am familiar with and keyboard shortcuts. THAT is the problem. If I didn't know those, this app would be as useful and as liked.

Pros

Powerful and feature rich. Very customizable with limitless plugins

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Excellent alternative to big-name image editing software

I highly recommend Gimp image editing software to users who have basic graphic design needs and want high-quality results without a high price tag. Gimp allows me to create a wide variety of content and image assets, and it doesn't cost me a penny. Love it!

Pros

I am not a professional graphic designer, but I do sometimes use image manipulation software -- I might need to convert a color photo to grayscale, or create a simple graphic for my business blog, or create an image to accompany a social media post. I only do this once or twice a month. With such infrequent use, it's not worth paying for big-name image editing software. At the same time, Microsoft...

Cons

Gimp isn't intuitive to someone like me, who lacks a design background. However, I have been able to learn it with minimal difficulty. Google has all the answers, and once you perform a function once or twice, it becomes very easy.

Ishanka M.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

The Buzz Around GIMP

Whether you're just dipping your toes into the editing world, or an advanced designer, GIMP will provide you with the tools you need to succeed. For software that is totally free to use, it knocks the competition out of the park. Regardless of why you might need design software, GIMP will always have your back.

Pros

If you're into graphic design, then you'll definitely want to hear all about the free design software GIMP. GIMP is a graphic design platform that allows users to customize photos, create art from scratch, and utilize photoshop tools in a professional way. Plus, if you're a big supporter of cross-platform software, GIMP will be sure to get the job done for you. So let's dive in, and take a look at...

Cons

While GIMP is more than proficient in most areas, there are downsides that you should understand before using this software. GIMP may be free to use, but it lacks a certain depth that other common design software can provide you with. All this means is that you might get better pixel editing software with Photoshop, and Photoshop is more of an industry-standard as well. So if you're looking for super-advanced editing, you might find yourself struggling a bit in some areas. While GIMP may not have it all, what more do you need in free design software that provides plenty of great features?

GS

Goran S.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees

Solid open-source graphics editor

I use GIMP when I'm not near my working machine, but need to make graphics in a pinch on my private laptop or customer's computers. As it does not require subscription or any sort of a key, I can freely use it for work purposes without any issues. I mostly use it to throw together some graphics for the videos we make, when some small changes need to be made on the spot. It is a great addition to my free software toolbox.

Pros

GIMP is the best free graphics editor software there is. It is fast, and useful in absence of other graphics editors. My favorite is that it is multi platform and free, so I can use it for the company purposes whenever I need to make quick edits to a screen for a video I'm making, on whichever computer is in the vicinity.

Cons

GIMP can be vagarious in its behavior. Sometimes it can freeze for no apparent reason and I had issues opening larger images. The user interface is abhorrent. The floating windows are unintuitive and the entire user experience suffers for it. Learning your way around the horrible user interface takes time, energy, and most of all thick nerves.

Linda S.

Online Media, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

GIMP 2.10 Discovered!

I am able to do basic digital photo editing with GIMP, plus some enhancements to make it artistic. I am definitely willing to explore it some more. I had to get the Version 2.10 to download, install, and open plus work properly! Before, I had GIMP 2.8, which took FOREVER to start up.

Pros

I like that it’s free, and that it’s easy to use IF you have Adobe PhotoShop experience. I haven’t used GIMP in a long while, and I Googled the latest version.

Cons

I had to work to resize the Toolbox panel so that it didn’t completely cover the image I was working on. I had to kinda futz around and thus refresh my long -term memory of how to work with GUI, or sliders, picture buttons, and those drop-down menus.

LD

Leah D.

Fine Art, self-employed

Inexpensive Photoshop Dupe

GIMP makes it easy to edit photos, design logos or banners for businesses or websites.

Pros

GIMP is easy to use, there's no guesswork about the tools or their functions. You get a good deal of the function Photoshop offers for a fraction of the price. There are very few 2D design projects that I take on that I can't use GIMP for.

Cons

There could be more development into the software itself. While it has the majority of features you'd use Photoshop for there are some that are lacking. Updates with new features would be nice as well.

MP

Mike P.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

GIMP Does Everything, But There's a Learning Curve

I needed software that could created high-resolution graphics for some of the content projects I do for clients. I had some trouble at first and ended up uninstalling and re-installing after changing some settings that hid some menus and controls so well I couldn't find a way to restore them. Fortunately, the internet provides a great number of experts who publish written and video tutorials. Every...

Pros

GIMP seems to be able to do just about any kind of image generation and manipulation, giving a great deal of control to the user to create simple or complex graphics of various sizes and formats.

Cons

This program was hard to learn. It does so many things that the settings and features are pretty overwhelming for someone who lacks experience with the Adobe Creative Suite or some other high-end graphics software. I don't have the time to really become familiar with all aspects of GIMP, so I'm probably doing some things the hard way.

Andrés E. B.

Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

A quick solution!

It's great to have multiplatform tools like this one. He could become the faithful friend of any user who faces the editing of images in his work. I think it's worth trying, it also has a portable version, for me it's very useful.

Pros

I'm not sure of his popularity, because I met him using Linux. However, he has been a faithful companion in regard to small editions of images and that kind of thing. I even remember using this light tool in a project of internal communications and the truth was not bad for us. It was the program that we had at hand and it worked. For day-to-day work it works quite well. It has a kind of toolbox with multiple features that can easily get you out of trouble. One of the functions that I like most is to optimize the images automatically, with the opportunity to customize it if one does not obtain the expected appearance.

Cons

I think it competes against many similar apps. However, I would not necessarily see it as something against. Another aspect maybe not very positive and I think it's something that I can do with other similar tools, is that for more advanced uses, some type of prior training is necessary to get the most out of this tool.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

I have user another popular (paid) program for years before using GIMP. Nothing to regret. I use it to retouch and resize my photos and also when I need to create some graphics for web sites (logos, banners). It runs smootly, and you will learn very fast how to use it (especially if you come from similar programs. Try it :-)

Pros

Gimp is free and allows you to retouch/edit your photos and images, create logos, applying filters and effects, convert in other formats. The installation is easy, of course you will need to learn how to use the program, as it has a lot of functions. I suggest to use levels while creating/editing photos or images. Gimp never hangs

Cons

the zoom suddenly increase or decrease to maximum if you want to overwrite your jpeg file don't click on save

ad

amiya d.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

An Open-Source Web-Based Image Editor.

It has multiple supports of languages such as C++, Perl, C, Scheme Python and many others. It provides a high quality framework for scripted images. It provides high-quality features for color management. It has large numbers of plugins and scripts. It can be used as an expert quality photo retouching program, a simple paint program, an online batch processing system, an image format converter etc. It allows you to open multiple images at a single time. It has various selection tools and panting tools.

Pros

It is a GNU Image Manipulation Program which helps in editing images. It is available for OS X, Linux, Windows and other operating systems. It provides various tools for illustrators, graphic designers, photographers and many other professionals. It has various third party plugins which help in enhancing productivity. Its various tools help in the manipulation of high-quality images. It helps to produce graphical design elements, icons, logos and other artworks.

Cons

Some of its features need to be more intuitive. It has limited options to develop 3D designs; there must be more helpful options. It will take some time in downloading fonts. As compared to Photoshop it has fewer features. Its scripting may be difficult to use if you do not have any experience. It has various menus, submenus and functions which are complex and may be difficult for beginners.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Free with caveats

It's a free image manipulation application that will challenge you but in the end delight you with the broad feature set this application presents to you.

Pros

It has a majority of features that the Adobe Photoshop application has. Most of the image manipulation tools and photo editing tools you would need are present in this application.

Cons

The But. But there is a STEEP learning curve similar to using Adobe Photoshop. You will need to spend some time with the UI/UX to find what you are looking for.

MT

Marek T.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Gimp Review 4/5

My overall experience with GIMP was positive. As a user who frequently worked with image editing and manipulation, I found the app to be a powerful and versatile tool.

Pros

What I liked most about GIMP was its versatility and range of features. The app offered a wide range of editing tools, from basic adjustments to more advanced features such as layer masks and color correction. Additionally, the app's open-source nature and availability across multiple platforms made it accessible and customizable for users with a variety of needs and skill levels.

Cons

One thing that I liked least about GIMP was its user interface. While the app offered a wide range of features, the layout and organization of the interface could be confusing and overwhelming for new users. Additionally, some of the app's advanced features could be difficult to locate or use without prior knowledge or experience.

Keith V.

Philanthropy, 11-50 employees

GIMP is great, if you know what your doing.

Fantastic but it's a complicated software for the uninitiated.

Pros

This is a very robust and useful image editing software akin to Adobe's Photoshop suite. It's quite useful and features a ton of the same or similar tools you'll find in the aforementioned suite, with one exception. GIMP IS COMPLETELY FREE TO USE! It's fantastic and nearly as good as Photoshop in every way. In fact, you can find many Photoshop tutorials online and the same exact steps will apply to GIMP to get the same end result for any effects your trying to create!

Cons

Photoshop isn't the easiest software to teach yourself, you have to be extremely tech savvy to accomplish such a feat. The same applies to GIMP. If you don't already know how to use Photoshop going into GIMP, you better read up on how to use the software or get some one and one training (or even take a college class or something). If you don't, you'll be lost in trying to use the software to edit images. There's always YouTube tutorials these days.

Christopher H.

Fine Art, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Using Gimp in Place of other Software

This software is simple and great for the entry-level artist. The artist will have to get a feel for the tools and experiment/ practice to learn what they do. This software works very well for the new artist so that they do not have to spend a fortune on higher-end software such as the Adobe Creative Cloud. The software is also limited so at one point the user will have to upgrade to finish certain projects.

Pros

Gimp is a great entry-level software for users that are just getting into things like photo-editing and photo manipulation. It has multiple tools that the user needs to edit photos. For example, a user can use this software to color correct a photograph. If a user wants to get into photo-editing but doesn't want to spend the money to use higher-end software, this is a great place to start.

Cons

One con is that it doesn't have the exact same tools as a software such a photoshop. There also would a learning curve when switching to a higher-end software because even though a lot of the tools do the same things, they'll have different icons and different placements. The user is also limited to what they can exactly do. The software is designed to do basic tasks.

CA

Chris A.

Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees

Great free resource for a team with a constrained budget and straightforward needs.

Pros

It's free! And it's not much more complicated to learn than paid alternatives, like Photoshop. Very capable software.

Cons

While it's powerful in the hands of an experienced user, some features have a steep learning curve, and resources for help are relatively limited compared to offerings from paid services.

UB

Umair B.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

The best Free and Open Source Image Editor

My overall experience with GIMP is really outstanding and fabulous, Because using this free software I have designed a lot of brochures, flyers and different templates for my personal use and for my Business activities. Several times I always design content for my Clients in GIMP. Because the tools are really easy to understand and use. I have also edited thousands of Images using GIMP. For the retouching purpose, GIMP is really awesome. If you want to transfer your content into a Professional look then It's really incredible.

Pros

GIMP is one of the best Image Editors and the most important thing is Free and Open-source software. GIMP allows you to design your graphic content professionally. No matter you are a Photographer or scientist, the tools of GIMP allows you to design awesome and stunning things. You can design mockups and templates related to your work. GIMP also allows you to design Professional Icons and Logos. The interface is really easy to understand.

Cons

According to my point of view and experience, I think so everything we can find in GIMP. Basically a designer needs lots of tools and features which actually we can find in GIMP, so for me, GIMP is perfect from every side.

Lalao R.

Internet, self-employed

Get GIMP to make your photos look great!

I am a big fan of GIMP! I think it's an amazing image processing program, and I love that it's free! It's easy to use and has a lot of features that I never thought possible for a free program. It's a great alternative to photo editing software!

Pros

I like GIMP because it's free and accessible to everyone! The menus are quite intuitive, and with a little practice (there are online tutorials if you need help), I could easily learn to use GIMP for my own needs. Among its features, I love the support for HDR formats, for example. This means that I can easily create high quality images with great color and detail. Whether I'm working on a personal or professional project, GIMP's HDR capabilities give me the flexibility I need to do my job well.

Cons

Gimp has a lot of features for a free program and a large community of experts. It is more than correct. I don't find any disadvantage to it.

DO

David O.

Packaging and Containers, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

More economical alternative to Photoshop

Pros

I like that GIMP has all of the features of Photoshop but without the need to subscribe to Adobe's Creative Suite. It is a fully functional and professional image editing application and it doesn't cost a thing other than the value of the users time in learning the app. Time is money but you can afford to use a lot of time before you come to the cost of a Photoshop subscription. GIMP is a full blown image/photo manipulation app that at the very least keeps up with Photoshop but at some times beats Photoshop to the punch with new editing features. Even if you prefer Photoshop, GIMP is a valuable tool to keep in the belt.

Cons

I do prefer Photoshop's user interface when compared to GIMP. That is likely due to my 30 years of experience in using Adobe products not so much a function of a problem with GIMP. For instance, I prefer the layout of Quark Express over Indesign. That doesn't mean that Indesign has interface issues. It largely means that I have worked with Quark much more and just know the ins and outs better. The same is the case with Photoshop when compared to GIMP. If I were able to turn back the clock, a free GIMP program would be awfully tempting to learn over an expensive Photoshop app.

Nigel Masimba R.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Free Advanced Image Editing

I've been using GIMP as my primary raster image editing software for over 3 years. GIMP is a free and open source software (FOSS). I use mostly free and open source software because starting out I could never have afforded the licenses for most premium software. FOSS also generally demands fewer resources from your computer, which is true for GIMP. I use GIMP on a Core i3 laptop with 4 gig RAM running on Linux UBUNTU. I didn't give a customer support rating because strictly speaking there is no customer support for GIMP (as far as I know ). There is a wide range of online resources and forums that are as good as, and in some cases better than most customer support, though.

Pros

It's Free. You can create professional images without paying a cent! Gimp comes with all the basic functionality of an advanced image manipulation program. It's gentle on system resources. You can do professional work on an entry-level laptop

Cons

It's almost always behind premium software available on the market. Because GIMP is open source new features usually come long after premium competitors have released them. No cloud collaboration. I can't work wing projects in a group. Installing plugins can be challenging. Recently I failed to install the plugin that allows me to export to the new WebP format. I also had a hard time installing the batch Processing plugin that allows me to apply batch processes like resizing or compression. Sometimes the plugin repositories are moved, broken or incompatible with the installed version of GIMP, so it takes a bit of extra effort to get new functionality.

Jamie C.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

My Inexpensive Go-To in a Pinch

My team needed an inexpensive way to create graphics and icons for our website when we were just setting up. We didn't have Photoshop type of money at the time, so after some research, we found that GIMP's reputation matched what we were hoping for. We were not disappointed, quickly realizing the powerful punch the little program packed. It's since been used in our organized to produce quick and easy quality content.

Pros

I love how inexpensive and easy GIMP is to use. At first glance, it looks simple and it's easy to underestimate, but given the right tutorials, it becomes the easiest way my team has found to quickly make icons and simple graphics. It has all the tools needed, especially when you know what you're doing, to produce an online identity.

Cons

There could certainly be more features, but for the price point, it makes sense why there aren't.

Leon C.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

Powerful, free and highly customizable option for photo-editing and digital painting.

My experience with GIMP is overall positive, it is a reliable free option. Give it a try, it might end up surprising you.

Pros

GIMP is currently the most popular freeware option for photo-editing and digital painting, and there are good reasons for it. First of all, it consumes less RAM than many other options in the market, it has a very reliable stability, it rarely crashes and you do not need high-specs for it to work smoothly. It runs in most OS and platforms, including Linux, where it originated and was later ported...

Cons

The user interface can be somewhat confusing, this might depend on the plugins you are using and the compatibility they have between each other, this is a cost you always run into when using highly customizable applications. It might run slow when working out extremely large files, but on the bright side I never really experienced any crashes. The graphic interface feels outdated. Very limited options when it comes to text editing and pixel manipulation.

DA

Dennis Alexander R.

Construction, 11-50 employees

GIMP, diseño y edicion de imagenes

durante el tiempo que lo use me fue muy util a la hora de editar imagenes para los informes semanales que realizamos.

Pros

Lo bueno de este programa es su facil uso y su interface muy intuitiva y lo mejor es que es un software de libre uso (gratuito). tal vez no sea el mejor programa para trabajos de diseño complicados ​o profesionales, pero en una empresa pequeña o mediana puede ser usado para proyectos simples.

Cons

Le faltan algunas herramientas de edicion que sería un gol de media cancha de parte de los creadores del software si lo llegaran a implementar. Y no tiene el soporte técnico con el que cuenta Photoshop.

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

Wulliams C.

Exposing images for a Community Manager is important and Gimp is a great ally for this

GIMP is one of the first photo editing software I could explore. Working with this software is quite easy has many benefits and benefits for editing that have allowed me to project my career as a Community Manager. A comfortable interface that combines a series of tools that although not complete, has a high range of functions that makes it continue using the software and recommend it to all those who need to edit photographs professionally and creatively.

Pros

In my work as a Community Manager, it is important to manage software that allows editing and resalar images, this, combined with a good coatching, enhances and enhances the accounts, adding more followers and more interaction of that account in Social Networks. GIMP, is an excellent software that gives me what I'm looking for, since it has a comfortable interface that allows you to interact with tools to remove or add light to the images, the management of different layers, which allows you to add more visual elements to the image, add effect to the photos, and, one of the most important reasons why I use GIMP is that it supports different formats like png, jpg, and gift.

Cons

I think the GIMP technical team could work on improving the tools they offer to modify the photos, since other software has more powerful tools for image editing.

EE

Eduardo E.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 1-10 employees

The Powerfull and FREE image editor

I use GIMP all the time, in all my work, both as an employee and as a freelancer, and the result is great. I would not change this software for any other

Pros

I use this software all the time in my personal work and it's just great. After some time working with other alternatives on the market, which are only better promoted, they made me the recommendation, I changed and I am delighted, because it offers you the same value and quality but for FREE and it is simply great.

Cons

I have to confess that at first it can be a bit difficult to handle because it is not very intuitive, but after a while I was able to successfully get used to it and use it efficiently.

GM

Gethsun M.

Online Media, self-employed

Gimp Best alternative to Photishop

Overall Gimp offer really good value for money and a good safe haven if you cannot access Photoshop or having difficulty grasping phostoshop concepts maybe start with Gimp it will help.

Pros

Gimp is really easy to deploy on any machine whether Linux or Windows, it is also very easy to learn and use has a lot of valuable online tutorials also its is lightweight making it easily portable for use remotely.

Cons

I find it very difficult to optimize text effects and also at times layer control gets out of hand making me restart my projects again.