GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Logo

Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Reviews - Page 6

3,479 reviews

JB

Jordan B.

Defense & Space, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

A Quick Tool for Free Editing

I love the fact that it is free, and I do recommend it as a free alternative to Photoshop. Especially to those individuals who are new to photo editing, and don't want to spend any money. My overall experience is good, but blotched with frustrations due to the poor GUI layout. There are a handful of file formats that it can convert to that photoshop cannot, so I will often import my work from photoshop and use it to export it to my desired file type.

Pros

For most everyone in the photography world, GIMP is an obvious go to for free editing software. For a long time, before Adobe had created the cloud, it was the only real affordable way to edit images. The universal OS deployment is also a huge plus! With adobe you're stuck with windows or Mac, but with Gimp you can use it on a linux machine! This in itself is why GIMP is still in the running and consideration for a Photoshop alternative photo editing software.

Cons

The first and most obvious is the strange and un-user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI). The GUI tends to be spread out, and it has no background window frame, so your windows desktop peeks through around all of the edges. To me this is a huge con, because as I am editing I want a high contrast single color background that doesn't distract me from my work. Some may say, then make your desktop background black, and yes this is an alternative, but it is an unnecessary step, that the software engineers and developers can easily remedy.

Jennie P.

Publishing, self-employed

Used other for 1-2 years

GIMP vs Photoshop

Overall, GIMP is a good, strong program for doing anything requiring digital manipulation/design of any sort. If you can't afford Photoshop, then it's definitely going to be your best alternative. There will be a learning curve, but it's definitely something any designer/artist should have in their programs list.

Pros

Gimp is a free, open source software. So for that, it gets bonus points. It has a similar layout as Photoshop, except most things are reversed. Example: brushes are on the left in Photoshop, in GIMP they are on the right. You have a few filter options in GIMP that you don't have in Photoshop, but Photoshop also has filters that GIMP doesn't have. You have all the abilities as Photoshop (though I can't...

Cons

Because I've used Photoshop more extensively, the layout is what throws me every time I open it. That said, there are filters that Photoshop has that GIMP doesn't. The cons are there, but for a free software that offers most of what Photoshop can do, those cons can be ignored.

KK

Katarzyna K.

Marketing and Advertising, 5,001-10,000 employees

GIMP - My favorite graphics editor

GIMP enabled me to edit images and photos quickly using the BIMP extension. Also, I designed a few graphics and created some simple animations (GAP) for my website.

Pros

GIMP is an excellent raster graphics editor, that could be used to retouch photos professionally as well as design web graphics. The software is equipped with a number of tools, that enable both elementary and complex operations. The interface is transparent and uncluttered, as the icons are minimalistic and the windows dockable so that you can fully customize the editor to meet your needs. Converting between different image format is seamless, so you are able to import and edit files saved in Photoshop format. GIMP is open-source software, so it's developed continuously, and there are many powerful plugins available. Personally, the Gimp Animation Package is an exceptional solution to create GIFs. Moreover, the tool is completely free of charge.

Cons

It's difficult to discover some advanced on your own, as the majority of the community is German or Russian. For that reason, if you encounter a complex issue, it might be challenging to find someone, who knows the solution.

EB

Edgar B.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Best alternative to adobe photoshop

Great tool, for editing images.

Pros

Is a powerful and free image editing software that competes with commercial applications in terms of functionality. I

Cons

It is not an intuitive software and it hard to use at the begginer but there are a lot of documentation, tutorials, and user forums.

kA

kokou A.

Animation, self-employed

Used monthly for 6-12 months

GIMP my favorite

I started using GIMP, when I have a problem downloading photoshop which to download, you are sent to editor pages and after if you do not know how to choose, you end up downloading another thing cabrement. If it happens that you have downloaded, to install it you are asked to connect. I'm a graphic designer, I couldn't wait. A friend offered me inscap, I downloaded and installed it but I can not use...

Pros

Gimp is one of the best image processing and animation software with the option to adapt according to your project. What I really like about this software is the accessibility of the tools and their use according to the will of the user. But, this software is recommended for the experienced graphic designer.

Cons

One of the most common uses of GIMP is the retouching of photographs with defects: the image can be over- or underexposed, leaning, not in focus

Gabriele A.

Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees

Un buon editor gratuito per immagini, ma niente di più

Gratuito e universale, ma è adatto solo a chi ha bisogno di un software leggero che funzioni anche su vecchissimi computer o davvero non ha voglia di spendere per un software legale di image editing.

Pros

È 100% gratuito, lo è da sempre e sono certo lo rimarrà. È possibile installarlo su qualsiasi sistema operativo e piattaforma: Windows, Mac, UNIX/Linux, Android ed è stato persino realizzato un porting con il nome di XGimp per iPhone e iPad. È ricco di funzionalità e permette di importare file quasi di ogni estensione esistente (compresi i .psd).

Cons

Purtroppo l'interfaccia è rimasta quella UNIX di anni e anni fa ed è ostica nell'utilizzo, graficamente poco appetibile e davvero poco intuitiva per chi è alle prime armi nell'editing di immagini. Per quanto apprezzabile la sua gratuità, Gimp rimane spanne dietro rispetto a prodotti come Photoshop o Affinity Photo.

Showing original review in Italian. See translation

Bhavik J.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

A Great Open Source Image Editor for Graphic Needs of your Organization

My overall experience with GIMP is very satisfactory. Most of the times, the feature set is complete for intermediate graphic needs, but in some advanced cases, lack of features become visible. Also, as being open source, some of the latest versions can include some minor bugs.

Pros

The thing I like the most about GIMP is that it is free and open source. It has all the features you could ask in an image editor and supports most of the image/graphic formats. Also, it is also regularly updated and always vulnerability free. One of the best thing about GIMP is that it supports most of platforms and works well on all of them.

Cons

The thing I like the least about GIMP is that it does not support 16 bit colours. Also, new feature development is slow as it is an open source product. Searching for GIMP plugins is also a hassle.

KK

Kirk K.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

A great product that does not interfere with the creative process.

Very intuitive and blessedly open source. I will be very happy to see the continued develop of graphics and media suite products from this developer.

Pros

Support for LOTS of kinds of media files and a very robust graphics application suite. The UI scheme is very easy on the eyes, and there's very little you couldn't do in GIMP compared to expensive graphics suites.

Cons

Not a con but I would like to see GIMP increase its support for as many types of media files as possible

Michael G.

Entertainment, self-employed

Good for Programmer Art, Somewhat Confusing

GIMP is my go-to drawing program for quick placeholder art, at least when I can't afford Adobe Animate. It's not easy to generate sprite sheets or animations (there's no timeline -- you need plugins or many, many layers), but it's good for individual sprites or sequences that contain no more than a few frames. Drawing line is weird -- you have to hold down shift between brush or pen clicks. Rotating...

Pros

-Free -Makes easy programmer art -Layers are easy to manipulate and understand -Interesting and nice looking artistic filters

Cons

-Drawing Tools are somewhat counterintuitive, especially lines and pens -No apparent Vector capabilities -Not easy to generate sprite sheets -Resizing canvases can have awkward side effects

HT

Huong T.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

First step to become a design expert!

Design software CAN be straightforward and CAN be for everyone and GIMP has proved me so. Very easy to use as I didn't have a ton of time to learn tech and software when I first started, but GIMP was at ease to use and didn't take me 120 hours to learn and start. GIMP is very portable and I love it that I could have it on any of my machines without having to worry about "how many licenses do I have left." GIMP is just awesome!

Pros

Open source, light, powerful but free! Gimp was my first design software when I first started to learn to create graphic on a computer and I still use it every now and then whenever I need a quick change on a design but didn't have time to wait a year for photoshop to pop up. The functions GIMP offers is more than anything one could imagine in a free software, it's almost everything you need from photoshop...

Cons

GIMP offered me more than anything I would expect and need from a free software. If I do miss anything it's the cloud storage and sharing like adobe has, but again, this is a free product so there's really nothing I hate about. Sorry photoshop but 80% of the time GIMP is still my go-to and fav when it comes to small and quick artwork! :)

AG

Amit G.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Good image editing softwre

I am overall happy with features and availability of such application. Rather than using cracked or pirated versions of paid software, we can use GIMP and it fulfills almost 95% requirements easily. Overall great experience. You are doing wonderful job GIMP team!!

Pros

This GIMP tool is really very helpful for editing of images. It is open-source hence no burden on pocket. it is very light weight hence runs even on low resources of system and doesn't hangs your system unlike other graphics editing software. It can be easily installed on Windows and Linux machines which makes us realtively easy to use this software at any platform. Every deep tool which makes give us more flexibility to work efficiently. Overall this software is great of use.

Cons

The user-interface is relatively hard to use. The shortcuts are not easy to use. its not much user-friendly and makes hard to navigate many times. We don't have much help available just because this is free of cost application. There should be paid version also so that we can get enhanced services for this software. At least something could be equivalent to Adobe Photoshop in competition.

BS

Brian S.

Libraries, 11-50 employees

Has most of what you need

You can't argue with the price, so it's worth a shot. I almost always find myself coming back to use GIMP after trying other tools. At times it's frustrating to accomplish what should be a simple task, but it can be done. And there are more online tutorials than you can shake a stick at.

Pros

For the majority of average users, this has more than enough to do the job. If your main goal is to edit for web use, you'll be able to accomplish just about anything.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve to this software, and it isn't exactly intuitive. If you're relatively familiar with advanced tools, you can fumble your way around. It does lack some of the required features that some professional users might need.

JF

Jenn F.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Invaluable Tool for the DIY business owner

As a small business owner that started a dog walking company on my own, over seven years ago, GIMP has been invaluable to me. I create all of my own graphics and marketing materials. I used GIMP to create my original logo, and have used GIMP to update my logo several times. I use it for cutout images, to create image files in the correct font, and all of the graphics on my website. I've even used it to design our uniforms. I also use GIMP for everyday problems like compressing an image that's to big to send in an email, or creating PDF files.

Pros

FREE, updated regularly, export to PDF, image compression, import font files, float layer, invert selection, undo history toolbox, erase from only one layer, fade, transparent erase....Much, much, more

Cons

The only thing I don't like is the floating toolbox windows. They are always getting in the way while I am designing. Though, I don't have a solution for this.

Kevin F.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Capable program with difficult UI

If you can outlast the steep learning curve, it can save you a lot of money, not having to "subscribe" to competing commercial alternatives. While it can be aggravating getting up to speed, in the end it is worth the effort. It might be worth looking into the available "photshop" skin to help with the transition.

Pros

The Gimp has most features you would expect from an Illustrator and/or Photoshop replacement, including support for plugins. It's a very capable replacement. We also appreciate that it's free and open source, with a good community there to help with the inevitable issues you'll face during the learning curve.

Cons

There is a VERY steep learning curve. The UI, iconography, tool locations, methods, etc. are all different from what you are likely used to in commercial products. It feels like a graphics app designed by developers without the input of regular graphics apps users.

AA

Avery A.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

GIMP is a great program for beginners and professionals alike

Using GIMP has been one of the best decisions in my life. I started off learning how to color images, and that led to actually creating graphic art, logos, fliers, and other project types that I would have never dreamed of doing. It has opened up financial avenues for me, and I am constantly learning new things as I use it more.

Pros

GIMP was the first program I used for image manipulation software. I didn't have money for Photoshop back before they started subscription programs, so GIMP was the only choice I had. It's great for beginners to start off, and it has features that can help you grow into a better artist for whatever project you are looking to do. Adding brushes from the GIMP resources throughout the internet archive helped my simple ideas thrive into finished products.

Cons

Some add-on features that I used on my old version suddenly never worked the same on the newer versions over the years. That did a number on my projects, and I had to find another solution for it.

YA

Yusril A.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Alternative Image Editor

overall its ok to beginner for learning image editing

Pros

More improvements on UI, Easy read documentation, More Filters for photo editing

Cons

feature like adobe photoshop, easy UI for beginner

Jakub G.

Retail, 11-50 employees

GIMP - an easy tool for easy editing

The program met its expectations. For a while, it was enough when it came to basic image editing and did not expect any advanced features. However, for commercial use, it will no longer suffice for the average user. On the other hand, its disadvantages outweigh its good accessibility.

Pros

Simple, intuitive control of the entire program is a huge advantage. Especially novice users will appreciate the fact that they will quickly get acquainted with the UI of the entire program.

Cons

The simplicity of the program is to some extent a disadvantage. Unfortunately, with this simplicity comes a lot of limitations, for example, in the form of a smaller number of functions compared to other programs.

IK

Infiyaz K.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

A fantastic tool for converting image file formats

Although personally using GIMP can be a challenge for editing drawings, it is super advanced and offers a host of functions that many commercial programs offer. Eg: Photoshop. It is just that we need to be familiar with the workflow. In the past several years of using GIMP, I truly appreciate the file conversion function. It's fast and efficient, especially on Ubuntu. I haven't used GIMP on Windows in the last few years but I do recall that it takes longer to start up on Windows. But this is not a problem for the Linux users.

Pros

As part of my work, I have to regularly export png files and convert them into JPEG or GIFF depending on whichever is smaller for online viewing. GIMP has a huge range of file formats which makes it the most suitable tool. Of course it also has superb photo-editing functions like in Photoshop (although I'm not into this).

Cons

Compared to Inkscape which is a vector graphics program, with GIMP it is pretty hard to edit an image. It involves having to outline a selection and a whole process. It doesn't allow nodes of the shape to be adjusted as we do on Inkscape. Enlarging a selection is not as straightforward as we would do on Inkscape. But in fairness, I think I'm expecting too much out of it.

Robert B.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

GIMP, a free wholesome graphics manipulation program

I have enjoyed using it and while I have other options, the fact that it is free means we can deploy it on all our computers and that is what our students are not using for all their graphics work and no one has complained about it.

Pros

The biggest advantage to GIMP is that is that it is free and a worthwhile alternative to Photoshop and illustrator.

Cons

IT can be heavy on the system and so it tends to be slow. Also, if one is not used to the interface, it takes some getting used to work with it.

Deepak M.

Education Management, self-employed

GIMP (GNU Image Management Program) review

Pros

GIMP is very powerful and can do just about everything that other raster image manipulation software can do and more. It is free to use, since it is open source software. There are plenty of videos and tutorials available to help the user achieve a particular effect. The software can read a large number of formats. Plug-ins to achieve specific results are easily available online and are easy to install.

Cons

The program takes a bit of time to load. If load time can be improved the software will be truly amazing.

Christian N.

I've used GIMP for years, and have found it perfect for creating graphics for websites and logos

Pros

As a technologically inclined creative person, this software is amazing. There is ample support in the way of forums and videos on the internet to get most anyone up and running with GIMP fairly shortly. My favorite elements of GIMP are its robust image layering abilities. While it might lack some of the glitz and glamor of Adobe's Photoshop, it is able to completely keep up with the functionality - at least on a basic level. I've found GIMP completely able to meet and exceed my logo deign, web graphics, and photo editing needs. While professional photographers might want Adobe's subscription products, GIMPs download-and-use platform is a fantastic discovery for those who want robust image editing for free, and are willing to put the leg work into the small learning curve.

Cons

The things I like least involve minor User Interface elements that I keep accidentally running into. The only example that really sticks out is I accidentally keep undocking some controls, and almost never remember how to redock them. It happens very infrequently, so I'm often in the position of researching how to redock them before I get back to work. It's honestly the only thing I can think of that would be a con for this software, and even then, that's in the user-error category.

Rex B.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Newbie artist

When I find a book cover or an Amazon ad isn't working, instead of paying an artist who may not have the time I have to spend on my project, I can change it and try a fresh approach in a day. In fact, in the hours before writing this review, that's exactly what I was doing. When I get it as far as I can go, I might then bring in an artist and the graphics will be of a quality that he or she can work on professionally.

Pros

It's a little tricky at first because it's oriented toward professional artists, but once you decide you need to do something to a photo or drawing, and look it up in the detailed manual, you find that nothing is impossible. Want to get rid of the entire background in a photo? It takes a few minutes. Need to combine and element from one photo to another seamlessly? A bit of noodling with it and no one can ever tell. It's a great program, and it's free! Because of severe budget constraints, I've had to make my own book covers. GIMP has more than helped compensate for my creative and advertising deficits.

Cons

We need an interactive idiot's manual for those who will not use the whole feature set right off the bat. It would be nice if this "simple use" manual could sense that we're getting into pro territory and expand gently so as not to shock the newbies. Other than that, this program is great.

Reynaldo U.

A incorporation that I did on my own in my work, bringing excellent results

Pros

I have always been an enthusiast in the imageological projection of the activities that we develop in the Foundation, this with the purpose of visually enriching our task, and also to project it, either in social networks or in projections to the community that follows us, or to the sponsor who invest in our ideas and projects. That's why I introduced and presented to my bosses this software that...

Cons

Although, at the beginning it is a little complex to use since it is a program for editing images by vectors, only using them routinely makes you learn quickly how to handle all your tools.

Iqra Z.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

The best and Open Source Image Editor

My overall experience with GIMP is really nice, fabulous, and incredible. I always turn some photos into Logos using the GIMP. I always use GIMP for my business graphic needs and requirements. I have found a lot of effects very useful for my graphic templates. So I am really satisfied and happy with GIMP.

Pros

GIMP is really best and open-source image editor for Graphic Designers. GIMP is available for download in all famous operating systems like Linux, OS X, and Windows. GIMP allows you to use professional tools to design stunning graphic templates. You can cut out an image, you can use wrap text around a circle, you can remove the background and lots of other graphic things you can do in GIMP. So GIMP is really great for you.

Cons

The tools are really easy to use and understand, the interface is really awesome. Whenever I use GIMP, I never face any issue or problem. I really enjoy doing Graphic work in GIMP. So for me, there are no cons.

DH

Dario H.

Professional Training & Coaching, 11-50 employees

Exceptionally professional image editing for free.

Relatively user friendly, a go to program for image editing that has been reliable over the years.

Pros

It has a plethora of tools, all of which have the same precision and powerful image editing capabilities as any leading image editing software. You can perform the same high end image editing functions as Photoshop for free.

Cons

It's not as intuitive as expensive programs like Photoshop. However, once you figure out how to use it this is no big deal.