Krita

Vector graphic software with a built-in brush repository

Krita Reviews

ET

Eduardo T.

BD

Binigya D.

Cons

First, the documentation is lacking. Sometimes it's just what you expect, but because they are constantly adding features for some features the documentation is missing entirely.

RG

Robert G.

RG

Robert G.

There wasn't anything of note that displeased me.

KF

Kelly F.

4.6

Krita - Should Cost a Fortune, is Free

Krita is a powerful (and free) illustration suite maintained by a large group of passionate artists and developers. Myself and my team in our illustration department have been making thorough use of it for years, and couldn't be more satisfied with what it offers. Since there are no licensing requirements (even for large teams), the suite as a whole has saved us a small fortune, allowing us to divert our attention to our work, rather than worrying about expenses and whether or not our returns cover annual licenses.

Pros

Krita is the best software in terms of illustration that I've used in my 12+ years in the industry; it is far more intuitive than competitors like Adobe Photoshop because Krita has been developed primarily as illustrating software. It marries the ease-of-use in Adobe Illustrator with some of the more complex brushes and rastering in Adobe Photoshop; although I use both latter products daily, I use neither for illustration - that is Krita's domain. Despite being the absolute best illustrating software on the market, Krita is 100% free to use, own and edit - it is fully open source, effectively meaning you, and everyone else, own it indefinitely. There are no "free trials", potential subscriptions or fees related to deploying it, which has converted me for life.

Cons

In the years that I've used Krita, I've not come across a single issue that has hindered my ability to use the software. The few times I've run into seemingly unsolvable issues, a quick trip to the Krita forums helped me clear it up in a jiffy.

Tired of Subscription Photo Software? Try Krita

Krita is an open-source free illustration software that works well as a substitute for light photo editing. It's not as robust as Photoshop, but it delivers in the 'free with no subscription required' category. I use the software to apply watermarks to our photos, edit hero images for our articles, and do light drawing with the Wacom tablet and finish it in Paint Tool SAI.

Pros

- Offers many basic photo editing features - Available on several OSes, including Windows, Mac, and Linux (Android beta) - Features support for touch screen devices for natural drawing - Designed for illustration and digital artists

Cons

- It is quite different than Photoshop, you'll need tutorials - No dedicated support, community of developers is scattered - Not as many brushes, but you can import Photoshop brushes - Text support is clunky, not fit for lettering comics

Approachable Elegant Software with the Usual Open Source Roadblocks

Overall, Krita is a very capable product, great for learning, and acceptable for its purposes. In the long run, a user running any kind of enterprise or business will likely want to find a paid product for the Quality Assurance and Support that comes with it.

Pros

It was approachable and pretty full-featured in its design. The docking system is convenient and after a few basics I was able to get a good ways before really having to resort to online materials for extra help. The dock, tile, and brush system are all very solid and flexible. Although the layout is messy in some ways it keeps the main tasks fairly up-front and simple. They also seem to be constantly updating the program. While it doesn't have touch controls, its support for my drawing tablet seemed to be pretty robust (full disclosure, there are so many tablets on the market that it's hard to say whether my experience is representative).

Cons

The cons, sadly, made my time with Krita limited and I soon had to switch to a comparable paid product. These are issues that, in my opinion plague most free open source projects, so your mileage may vary depending on how important "free" is. First, the documentation is lacking. Sometimes it's just what you expect, but because they are constantly adding features for some features the documentation...

Better than Photoshop

So far my overall experience with Krita is really amazing. I recommend this to anyone new to the digital art world or even animation and you won't need to speed any fees because it's free to use.

Pros

It works very well and it's an open-source program which means it's completely free. The layout is really nice and easy to work with. It's also comparable with any format and it's a light program which means it doesn't take much to run it and not much space to install it either. It's an easy recommend especially for anyone new to digital art.

Cons

Some updates make it unusable at times due to the fact that it's open-source but this is usually fixed in a short amount of time. Other than that no other issues so far, its only sad that a lot of people don't know about it.

Open Source drawing software made by artists

I use Krita both for private projects and professionally. I was looking for a digital painting software that would be able to go head-to-head with Photoshop in that regard and I found it in Krita. It is a great piece of software that allows me to create art uninterrupted and with ease. The default brush selection is amazing and the functions are familiar if you used Photoshop so there is almost no learning curve. For work, I use Krita to generate small graphics for the website that need that "hand made" feel rather than the sleek vector design required for some other projects. All in all, I would highly recommend Krita to anyone looking to draw or paint. The best thing is that it has no subscription fee, it is absolutely and completely free.

Pros

It has digital painting and drawing as its main focus. Other similar software focuses on photo manipulation primary and painting secondary, while Krita has it the other way around. The user interface and tools at your disposal are all made for content creation. It is a very refreshing take on a digital painting software. Krita also comes with a great set of brushes, once again, optimized for digital drawing and painting.

Cons

I loved Krita but from time to time I had issues with brush lag with both my Wacom and my Huion tablets. I would draw a line and it would appear seconds later, or it would decide to dance around the canvas creating a scribble rather than a straight line.

Good tablet software.

I'm happy with the program and am grateful that it is free.

Pros

Krita allowed me to create CMYK and vector files for a coloring book project and I use it every time I need to submit files to a printing company.

Cons

Not very intuituve and options are not available by clicking, some functions require hotkey shortcuts.

Made by artists to artists, the best drawing software, better than the paid ones

After trying a lot of drawing software, in the last few months I started using Krita and now I have it as my "friend for whatever comes" the features are incredible and it is much better than the software I used previously and better, it's free! For me, Krita did better or equal to the famous and expensive drawing software.

Pros

The layout is adaptable to the artist's use, it can be changed according to what is most convenient. The standard brushes are amazing! The textured ones are the most amazing, but the normal ones are not left behind either. In addition, you can import brushes from Ps and create your own, you can also buy Krita brushes or free download them in internet! It has great filter options to refine final art, tools that make the colorization process fast and stabilizer for lineart.

Cons

For me Krita is perfect, the only problem I have to report is not a problem with the software itself but with my computer, sometimes my computer does not work very well, the brush stroke get slow or the keyboard freezes. Krita needs a strong processor and considerable memory to function in full condition. But it's nothing serious, just save, close and open Krita again!

Best free desktop vector graphics tool

Krita has been my choice of a vector graphics editing tool, because it's free and still powerful.

Pros

There are many tutorials for Krita out there, which makes it much easier to use the tool. It's packed with features like brushes and shapes. The application also runs smoothly. And it's entirely free!

Cons

You have to look at the small stuff to find flaws in Krita, but I think the tool is due for an interface overhaul, since it seems dated and isn't self-descriptive.

Dependable Open-Source

I love using Krita. I hope to go far as a digital artist using Krita.

Pros

This software is easy to use and beginner friendly. The documentation is extensive and gave me confidnece as a new digital artist.

Cons

There aren't many tutorials out there directly for Krita, and those that are aren't as in-depth as for alternatives, however many of the same principles apply to Krita when drawing.

Test with Krita for the creation of logos and pictures in a craft store

I am a designer in a store that works with laser machines, paintings and crafts in general so I always use and research a lot of software and Kripta was one I chose because of the effects that brushes can make on prints that we sell to the store. Professions, children and decoration boards get a different touch provided by the resources that the software has to offer, all for free.

Pros

Krita has a variety of impressive features and brushes, among the various tools that I can cite that help a lot and are different from the program are, the effects that each brush can generate, the possibility of creating your own brushes, the easy way to working with layers and an interesting feature that I discovered is the way the line can be drawn according to the intensity you press with the drawing pen

Cons

Krita does not have many negative points, it is a cheap software with many features. It is not always very intuitive when it comes to tools, but that doesn’t make it a bad software, moreover, it can sometimes hang a little bit according to the design you made, and working with texts on it is not so satisfactory

a program which works well and well to start some photo editing or to always use a Graphic tablet

For me, I have enough confidence in the future of this program. And a point that could be added is to edit or annotate pdf documents that have several and to open them on a scroll of pages and not on several layers because when you save the document becomes one and only one page which is searing after Krita is not directly made for that, but it would have been an added advantage.

Pros

What I like about this program is its value for money. For starters, it is free but above all it is powerful to the point where I can advise it to anyone if they want to have a versatile program in what is drawing, animation photo editing and now vector drawing. but that is only the beginning because the program is always updated (bug correction or addition of new features ...) and topical. In addition, explanatory tutorials are even offered and free to either start from nothing or to go from a program like this one and they are extraordinarily successful.

Cons

Apart from a few bugs here and there, which is rare, the program is relatively correct. What it doesn't have is allow easy use of pins from other apps on it.

Amazing

GREAT

Pros

Tremendous product that is a great alternative to adobe photoshop. Has almost of the features needed for great picture editing.

Cons

The software sometimes crashes when I run demanding tasks on it.

Krita - Your gateway to Digital Art

Krita, when it worked with my tablet, has been a delight. I loved concept art creation and making some mockups for games. Also, its fantastic community is such a lovely place to be. Using Krita was definitely a pleasant experience for me, with some hiccups, that are bound to be fixed.

Pros

Krita is a great way to get started with Digital Art, like I did. I made some concept art using it and I loved every minute of using it. Here are the main things I like about Krita: - The default brush pack that comes pre-installed is a delight, so many varieties and options ! - I love the clean and professional UI - The brush stabilisation feature is the best I have ever used - Great community for tutorials, tips and general discussion - It is free!

Cons

While I sincerely appreciate all that Krita has done for the Digital art community, I have a major niggle that led me to abandon it. The compability issues of Krita with non - Wacom graphic tablets is an alarming issue for me. I have an XP-PEN tablet and I have lots of issues when using it with Krita. Frequent lags, non-detection of the pen, pressure sensitivity issues all plauged me, and eventually I had to move somewhere else. But, I will definitely return if the compability issues are worked on, or I get myself a wacom tablet eventually ! And also, photo editing is not Krita's strong suite so if approached as one, Krita will not meet the standards so perfectly. So this could be a deal-breaker for some.

A good art program

Pros

A very good art program that is easy to use and inexpensive.

Cons

There wasn't anything of note that displeased me.

Vector editing

Great free software with loads of features

Pros

After I left Adobe’s product suite this was a great choice to continue my vector graphic design.

Cons

Was a bit complicated when switching from Adobe but overall not to bad

1 app for photo editing and creating art

I am very happy with Krita. For an app you can use for free, this is a fantastic tool to have. I cannot stress enough, you should donate to this project if you find it useful.

Pros

I love that it is open-source and feature-rich. I am in no way an expert in graphics. I found it easy to learn my way around the functions of this app. It's really for creating art, but I have used it to do photo-editing. My needs are minimal, and this app is perfect for my needs.

Cons

I don't have much to complain about and my needs are basic. It does feel like the app was designed for hobbyists and creatives, not for pros. If you try this and find it useful, donate to the project so new features can be developed.

Krita in Design Process

Pros

This software is completely free which is incredibly useful especially if you are starting out as a particularly small business or sole trader. It is super functional and contains many of the features that you can expect to find in more expensive programs such as photoshop. It has been very handy in designing packaging and mascot characters for my brand. I love how simple it is to find information, tools and help on their online forum.

Cons

I feel like for a free service this software is very elaborate and handy in many ways. One this I could say would be nice is possible an option for a wider range of paint brushes, possibly even paid brushes because as it stands it is quite difficult to download new brushes and although the variety offered is already extensive and of a high quality, having a wider variety would be nice too.

Perfect for beginners

wonderful

Pros

Probably the best free drawing software, has all the functionality needed, a decent UI and it's absolutely free

Cons

Some features are a little hard to find

Let's get digital!!!

Ok really- I'm an old school artist who loves the messy chaos of canvas and paints, but for those who want to try the modern approach to painting, as well as foregoing a whole living area of artistic clutter, start with Krita.

Pros

You can create your own brushes!!! This software is also responsive to the pressure you apply with the pen. Lots of different features to implement in your art as well.

Cons

Applying texts can get a bit wonky. Just a heads up. Otherwise great product!

Powerful, plus free and open source

Krita was one of the first design tools I used and it allowed me to experiment a lot of different tools and workflows.

Pros

Krita is an excellent tool to get started with vector design. It's free to use but doesn't lack features. It's excellent to use when designing logos and drawings. Definitely a worthy alternative to paid tools out there.

Cons

I have struggled with keyboard shortcuts and sometimes finding the tools I need for a steady workflow. I also experienced some random crashes when editing several files at once. But these are minor details considering just how much this tool provides for free.

This is a great app

I love it!

Pros

I really like the variety of brushes in Krita and the fact that it's absolutely free.

Cons

I did something to my settings and had no idea how to fix it but I got it. It can be confusing for beginners.

Good for creators of digital art

Good for small improvements, erase some scribbles and create PNG images.

Pros

It's simple and practical. Faster, cheaper than others. Good structure, icons and intuitive so you can download it and have fun.

Cons

If someone have told me about this software before I would have installed it earlier on my computer.

Photoshop Lite

Pros

Great for those who have used Photoshop and would like an alternative.

Cons

Like Photoshop, can be challenging to use for beginners. I often feel like I'm driving a Ferrari in first gear.

Great Free Photoshop Alternative

I use Krita at least weekly for my digital art and have recommended it to several friends.

Pros

Krita has a lot of the same features as Adobe Photoshop, but is completely free. I use it regularly with my graphic tablet.

Cons

Bit of a learning curve, especially if you have never used a similar product. Lags sometimes on my PC.

Why pay for photoshop!?

Krita allowed my team to make new creative content for our Inspired Edition and our designers made some beautiful illustrations for a print magazine from using this program.

Pros

Similar shortcuts like photoshop were a plus, easy to use and easy to teach, import and export work is simple and fast for mass illustration production.

Cons

Unlike clip studio pro or photoshop there are fewer customisable features and you do have some more limitations but the feasibility of the program makes up for it.