Krita Logo

Vector graphic software with a built-in brush repository

Krita Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.8/10

Reviews by rating

Let's start with the fact that it's free and pretty good as an image editor. It's super easy to make gifs or edit creatives, which makes it really useful for small design projects / tweaks.
My overall experience with Krita has been fun and exciting. It is a simple-to-use software with lots of functionalities to explore.
For an app you can use for free, this is a fantastic tool to have. I cannot stress enough, you should donate to this project if you find it useful.
The cons, sadly, made my time with Krita limited and I soon had to switch to a comparable paid product.
There wasn't anything of note that displeased me.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Best free drawing software.

I really enjoy using Krita, it is extremely user friendly and offers a wide selection of free brushes for me to use. The cool filters and effects help make my drawings and animations stand out. I love how simple the UI is to navigate. I would not recommend Krita as a text editor but I would definitely recommend Krita for anyone needing 2D drawing or animation software.

Pros

I like the amount of free brushes offered by Krita, it has helped me truly bring out very fine details in my drawings. It has a very simple UI that I can easily navigate. Krita also has very cool filters and effects that I use for image editing. It has great hotkey functions that give me shortcuts while drawing.

Cons

I don't enjoy the slow start up time. The text editor is not great and it's very difficult to edit once added to my drawing.

TC

Tridiva C.

Animation, 1-10 employees

My feeling and likes about krita

Krita has always been my favourit for last 5 years. Its a great app to work with and so easy for me. And its so good about sizing and all. Honestly its the best app i have ever used in 10 years journey..

Pros

Its brushes, like its the best, so many options plus online brushes to be able to add too, they are so smooth and doesnt require to do extra affort on. Its really affective towards my project in a good way. They look really affective and they dont pause in times and doesnt make my project rough. My most favourite were the fineliners and they work so good. They are 10/10 in every rate.

Cons

The least is that the layers, they are a bit hard to work with but still its not hard if i try more. The layers often mix together if i create more than 10, so yeah.

RD

Rachel D.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

First step for a brand-new beginner

It was a good program to get me curious about using my computer for digital art, but I didn’t stick with it long.

Pros

I liked that Krita was free and was fairly easy to navigate. I was a mobile digital artist looking for a comparable computer program to learn, and Krita was accessible.

Cons

I didn’t like how small every button was. I also didn’t enjoy the color picker tool and how I had to reset my brush size every time I switched between different brushes or an eraser.

CC

Caroline C.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Made by artists to artists, the best drawing software, better than the paid ones

After trying a lot of drawing software, in the last few months I started using Krita and now I have it as my "friend for whatever comes" the features are incredible and it is much better than the software I used previously and better, it's free! For me, Krita did better or equal to the famous and expensive drawing software.

Pros

The layout is adaptable to the artist's use, it can be changed according to what is most convenient. The standard brushes are amazing! The textured ones are the most amazing, but the normal ones are not left behind either. In addition, you can import brushes from Ps and create your own, you can also buy Krita brushes or free download them in internet! It has great filter options to refine final art, tools that make the colorization process fast and stabilizer for lineart.

Cons

For me Krita is perfect, the only problem I have to report is not a problem with the software itself but with my computer, sometimes my computer does not work very well, the brush stroke get slow or the keyboard freezes. Krita needs a strong processor and considerable memory to function in full condition. But it's nothing serious, just save, close and open Krita again!

YT

Yonas T.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Amazing

GREAT

Pros

Tremendous product that is a great alternative to adobe photoshop. Has almost of the features needed for great picture editing.

Cons

The software sometimes crashes when I run demanding tasks on it.

BD

Binigya D.

Computer Games, 11-50 employees

Krita - Your gateway to Digital Art

Krita, when it worked with my tablet, has been a delight. I loved concept art creation and making some mockups for games. Also, its fantastic community is such a lovely place to be. Using Krita was definitely a pleasant experience for me, with some hiccups, that are bound to be fixed.

Pros

Krita is a great way to get started with Digital Art, like I did. I made some concept art using it and I loved every minute of using it. Here are the main things I like about Krita: - The default brush pack that comes pre-installed is a delight, so many varieties and options ! - I love the clean and professional UI - The brush stabilisation feature is the best I have ever used - Great community for tutorials, tips and general discussion - It is free!

Cons

While I sincerely appreciate all that Krita has done for the Digital art community, I have a major niggle that led me to abandon it. The compability issues of Krita with non - Wacom graphic tablets is an alarming issue for me. I have an XP-PEN tablet and I have lots of issues when using it with Krita. Frequent lags, non-detection of the pen, pressure sensitivity issues all plauged me, and eventually I had to move somewhere else. But, I will definitely return if the compability issues are worked on, or I get myself a wacom tablet eventually ! And also, photo editing is not Krita's strong suite so if approached as one, Krita will not meet the standards so perfectly. So this could be a deal-breaker for some.

Animation, self-employed

Krita one of the best options to create art and animations!

i try to learn everyday something about krita and i never get tired of drawing in that program, at the start it was hard and i felt so overwhelmed but now is easy to work with

Pros

Krita is totally free and open-source. Krita is used to do animations/make art and does wonders for both, you can export textures and brushes from other people and even share your own brush/texture, works perfectly with a graphic tablet.

Cons

Krita sometimes has bugs that makes the experience unpleasant, on my pc sometimes when i update the program is a little bit slower and doesn't feel right, so i need to restart the pc, and if you're new in this kind of programs sometimes you feel a little lost.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Dependable Open-Source

I love using Krita. I hope to go far as a digital artist using Krita.

Pros

This software is easy to use and beginner friendly. The documentation is extensive and gave me confidnece as a new digital artist.

Cons

There aren't many tutorials out there directly for Krita, and those that are aren't as in-depth as for alternatives, however many of the same principles apply to Krita when drawing.

KF

Kelly F.

Entertainment, self-employed

A good art program

Pros

A very good art program that is easy to use and inexpensive.

Cons

There wasn't anything of note that displeased me.

SL

Sebastian L.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Photoshop who?

Pros

Free open-source version replacing photoshop in my basic workflows.

Cons

Not always easy to use and sometimes hard to learn, but so is photoshop - so basically nothing really to complain about.

SM

Sophie M.

Computer Software, self-employed

Très bon logiciel et simple d'utilisation

En résumé se logiciel est fait pour dessiner que cela soit bande dessiner, création de jeux pixel, peinture ou autres. Ce programme fonctionne très bien avec une tablette à dessin. Je le recommande à tous.

Pros

C'est un logiciel très agréable et facile à utiliser. Je peux pratiquer des effets de dessin ou de peinture sur mes créations. Il possède de nombreux types de pinceaux et l'utilisation de ma tablette à dessin est idéale. Grâce à ce programme, j'ai apprit à dessiner des personnages en écoutant des tutoriels sur YouTube. Même les débutants auront de la facilité.

Cons

Il a pas beaucoup de contre, a par que j'aimerais qu'il a l'option remplir du contenu prise en compte pour pouvoir effacer un objet de l'image.

Showing original review in French. See translation

MJ

Melody Joy R.

Graphic Design, 10,001+ employees

Much better than Photoshop!

My overall Krita experience has been truly fantastic so far. I suggest this to anyone who is new to animation or the field of digital art because you can use it for nothing.

Pros

It is an open-source program, which means it is totally free and it functions quite well. The design is incredibly attractive and practical. Additionally, it may be used with any format and is a lightweight tool, requiring little space to install and less processing power to run. It's simple to suggest, especially for those who are new to digital art.

Cons

Due to the fact that it is open-source, some changes occasionally render it useless, however this is typically remedied within a short period of time. Other than that, there haven't been any other problems so far; the sad thing is that not many people are aware of it.

WS

Will S.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Vector editing

Great free software with loads of features

Pros

After I left Adobe’s product suite this was a great choice to continue my vector graphic design.

Cons

Was a bit complicated when switching from Adobe but overall not to bad

NN

Nothando N.

Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Krita in Design Process

Pros

This software is completely free which is incredibly useful especially if you are starting out as a particularly small business or sole trader. It is super functional and contains many of the features that you can expect to find in more expensive programs such as photoshop. It has been very handy in designing packaging and mascot characters for my brand. I love how simple it is to find information, tools and help on their online forum.

Cons

I feel like for a free service this software is very elaborate and handy in many ways. One this I could say would be nice is possible an option for a wider range of paint brushes, possibly even paid brushes because as it stands it is quite difficult to download new brushes and although the variety offered is already extensive and of a high quality, having a wider variety would be nice too.

PR

Paula R.

E-Learning, self-employed

Perfect for beginners

wonderful

Pros

Probably the best free drawing software, has all the functionality needed, a decent UI and it's absolutely free

Cons

Some features are a little hard to find

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Powerful, plus free and open source

Krita was one of the first design tools I used and it allowed me to experiment a lot of different tools and workflows.

Pros

Krita is an excellent tool to get started with vector design. It's free to use but doesn't lack features. It's excellent to use when designing logos and drawings. Definitely a worthy alternative to paid tools out there.

Cons

I have struggled with keyboard shortcuts and sometimes finding the tools I need for a steady workflow. I also experienced some random crashes when editing several files at once. But these are minor details considering just how much this tool provides for free.

BT

Barış T.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Animate your images

I created my animations within the application and enriched my visuals.

Pros

The interface of the application is simple and user-friendly. The application is extremely easy to use. You can make animations as you wish in the application.

Cons

There is no downside to the application. You can use it with peace of mind.

Houyamne A.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Great but not better than Photoshop or After effects anyway!

It's fun using Krita for design skills training.

Pros

There are a few options that make Krita exceptional- It has a very rich color palette- Amazing paintbrushes- works perfectly on Windows 10 - Supports easy file import & export- Available in the English language- It's free and fun- A library supper packed with amazing animation and transition effects

Cons

- Can't be a better fit for crafting high-quality and advanced designs or animations- Could be amazing if it was available in many languages-Makes constant requests to download files from an external website

Retail, 10,001+ employees

Great Free Photoshop Alternative

I use Krita at least weekly for my digital art and have recommended it to several friends.

Pros

Krita has a lot of the same features as Adobe Photoshop, but is completely free. I use it regularly with my graphic tablet.

Cons

Bit of a learning curve, especially if you have never used a similar product. Lags sometimes on my PC.

Wahaj A.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Krita: Starter for an Artist

I have used Krita to create animations for my Planning presentation, and using it has helped me a lot in saving time.

Pros

The most likable feature of Krita is its brush varieties and its customisation.

Cons

I do not have much to say except it has very few user groups.

FC

Flavia Cagnin S.

E-Learning, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

A powerfull image edit tool

Pros

One of the best image editors on the market today. Many editing tools in one place

Cons

I have no complaint. I really like the software

SJ

Sydni J.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Best Tool for Image Editing

My overall experience with Krita has been a good one. I enjoy being able to edit my own images and not have to outsource the work, which saves money and time.

Pros

I found that the best feature in Krita is its ability to help me edit my images, specifically 2D images. In the past, I'd spent hundreds of dollars working with graphic designers just to make simple changes (ie color tweaks), and now I can use Krita to do it myself. It's very empowering.

Cons

The only con that I have with Krita is the vast amount of tools on the dashboard. To a novice, the menu options can be overwhelming, but taking time out to view the tutorials can help.

Anthony R.

Animation, self-employed

Used monthly for less than 6 months

A great alternative for beginner artists

I found this to be not all that different to Adobe Photoshop in regards of digital painting/drawing. It does have less of the same features, but this is what I would consider as an alternative for those that want to make a start in the digital art industry. This has not been designed for image editing and make sure you do not get it from a malware network.

Pros

This provides all the tools you need for graphic/concept design. It has a great variety of brush styles to choose from, and I found the pressure senses with my Wacom pen to be amazingly effective. You have the ability to rotate your composition and keep your work divided into layers. The template is very well organized and is free to install.

Cons

Although I have not experienced it yet, but what does concern me is when updates are made to this platform and how it can affect my desktop. Also, there are not as many colour editing options as there are in Photoshop.

FM

Francesco M.

Import and Export, 11-50 employees

Per la tavoletta grafica

buon software per la creazione di disegni tramite tavoletta grafica

Pros

Mi aiuta a migliorare i disegni fatti con la tavoletta grafica

Cons

un po' dispersivo nelle sue funzionalità, un po' lento

Showing original review in Italian. See translation

SM

Sophia M.

Furniture, self-employed

I HATE THIS APPLICATIONn.

TORTURE. hd email me back at [SENSITIVE CONTENT]

Pros

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. THIS APP IS HORRIBLE AND I HATE IT. IT IS NOT EASY TO NAVIGATE AND I CRIED MULTIPLE TIMES WHILW USING It.

Cons

EVERYTHING.