LemonStand Reviews

4.86/5 (14 reviews)

Dave Seeman

Most customizable flat-fee ecommerce solution

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2017-10-11

It's a great ecommerce solution for business looking to customize their site without giving up a percentage of their sales to the ecommerce giants of the world.

Pros
What I love about Lemonstand is how much is built into their core offering and how customizable it is. I find it much easier to use than Shopify and similar products. And, they charge a flat-monthly fee - no percentages taken from sales.

Cons
Their documentation is pretty terrible but they're supposedly working on it. A lot of their features, though totally usable, feel thrown together just to exist but lack refinement. They've got everything you need but to be effective but it may be a while before the quality is there to make it the most efficient tool.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Darrin Norton

Lemonstand: a really Versatile and Flexible SAAS platform

Reviewed 2016-09-28

When it comes to e-commence platforms, flexibility (especially with regards to the cart, checkout & payment process), is often something sorely lacking. I've found many SAAS platforms operate on a rather rigid cookie-cutter approach (everything engineered to work and function only their way) leaving one with little leeway to adapt to the specific needs of a business. As we all know, oftentimes it's handy, or even necessary, to be able to tailor a site's functionality to an entity's specific business model. This is where Lemonstand shines! To a very respectable degree the Lemonstand platform allows for the ability to customize and fine-tune a significant portion of the platform's front-end functionality. Like many other cloud-based e-commerce platforms out there, Lemonstand offers up a number of starter themes which provides one with all the essential elements to get a web store up and running quickly. It is true that In order to wrangle the most out of this platform, through tweaking the themes & templates, one may wish/need to enlist the assistance of a developer or simply be willing to become somewhat fluent in CSS / Templating / Twig / and maybe JavaScript. However, if only the customary e-Commerce services and functions are required, then one of their standard templates will likely serve ones' needs quite effectively. Cloud-hosted platforms, like Lemonstand, do offer several clear advantages, such as: ensuring all user/accounts are running off of the most recent and updated versions of their software, ease of update deployment (issues involving varying server configs are removed from the equation), security monitoring, and a host of other advantages. With Lemonstand, new businesses or start-ups can ease into eCommerce through a comparatively modest fixed/known pricing plan. No bandwidth fees, no storage fees, and no gateway fees (beyond what the gateways themselves charge) goes a long way toward making things more manageable for young startups or small businesses operating on limited budgets. As an account holder, I have not yet experienced any system downtime. As a store owner, feedback from shoppers has been very positive with regards to their shopping and checkout experiences. Dealing with customer support has been very good. Overall, responses to applicable service requests have been met with knowledgable replies by staff members who clearly know their product and were willing to help. I feel Lemonstand is a top quality product!

Pros
Flexibility, Versatility, Fixed Priding Plans

Cons
I'm not sure this really qualifies as a "dislike" as its more of a "wish we had em all now"... but it's a young platform and there are still some features that are still being built / upcoming - to which their published roadmap attests.

Ben O

The best eCommerce platform I've touched...

Reviewed 2017-04-01

I work for one of the largest software companies in the world as a solutions engineer by day and also run my own startup, www.DollarScent.com a monthly subscription service for premium car air fresheners. Prior to that, I was part of the founding team of a successful eCommerce software company for online retailers selling on eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Walmart, Magento, etc. When launching DollarScent, I figured WooCommerce could meet our needs. We spent a LONG time fussing around with Wordpress/WooCommerce and after over a year eventually gave up. Most of our energy was spent trying to fix WP all the time and it prevented us from ever being able to grow our business without worry. We expressed our concerns to LemonStand and after some time decided to make the switch. LemonStand was paramount in helping us migrate all of our existing paid subscribers (which no other software company was willing to do). As someone who's been involved in technology for many years, I must say that LemonStand's support, onboarding, and setup has been the absolute most pleasant experience I've had to date. Their engineering and support team REALLY care to see you successful. The representative, who runs Biz Dev, was our go to contact the whole way through and helped to facilitate a smooth transition. We are now up and running for several months without any worry and have since then focused our energies on sales and marketing. We are excited about our partnership with LemonStand and we plan on staying with them as we continue to focus on growing our subscriber base. If you're a subscription box business or just a general eCommerce retailer, give them a shot... I promise you won't be disappointed!

Pros
- Support - Onboarding - Flexibility of platform - Out-of-box Integrations

Cons
- Missing a way to "gift" a product (on their roadmap) - Missing an easy way to do a referral program

Abby Martz

only limited by my own lack of coding knowledge

Reviewed 2018-03-29

Pros
I like the LemonStand site. The Customer service is fantastic. The price is incredibly low comparatively plus there is no transactional percentage charged which is really nice. The themes are readily editable IF YOU KNOW CODING OR CAN HIRE A PRO.

Cons
I had read that coding was necessary but one review said it was comparable to coding in Shopify. Unfortunately, I am a novice and while I did a great job with my shopify site (to include implementing custom coding) I was not successful with LemonStand. At this time I cannot hire a professional and I get frustrated trying to get my vision across anyway. So, because of my own limitations in both knowledge and funds I cannot proceed with LS. Oh - there is also only ONE theme that's already set up for Subscriptions. That was *extremely* disappointing. Other themes can "be made compatible with coding"... Bleh.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Adam Diehm

Perfect platform to launch a new e-commerce venture. Well suited to easy development customizations.

Reviewed 2017-11-18

Pros
Easy tiered pricing structure Utilization of existing, well-tested libraries already know to developers Ability to rapidly launch an e-commerce platform. Excellent customer support, including, and especially from C-level and other equity holders, who would not normally be expected to involve themselves in support. Great starting point for subscription websites.

Cons
Low-level documentation is missing and/or hard to find ( i.e. makeup of objects, available custom filters, how frontend twig functions interact with backend is left for developer to sort out via trial and error ) [ company is aware and working on it ] Some disjoint between payment processors and internal ( admin area ) functionality, causing some business management to be forced outside of the system. Only one currently configured subscription-based theme [ this is being addressed/extended ] Lacking ability to have child-themes, or other means of receiving theme updates once a theme has been selected and copied into the system. Most of these Cons are either being addressed, or likely to be addressed by this team. They are being listed as they are/could be current "cons" at the time of this being read, and for someone looking to use the platform today. They are all items, where being a developer, and seeing the upside of this platform, are items able to be overlooked and waited out.

Jordan Perrey

Complete flexibility and powerful capability

Reviewed 2017-11-07

At first, it can be a bit overwhelming what you can do with the platform. I would recommend reaching out to the Lemonstand team and let them guide you. Usually, they will have great examples and an approach to getting to where you want to be.

Pros
You can build almost any type of ecommerce experience with this platform. For example you can build stores with recurring products (subscriptions) as well as one-time purchases which is hugely beneficial. We have built complex stores involving ongoing subscriptions that the users can update mid-month without any problems. Their architecture has been well thought out for the business they are in and their support and management teams are awesome to work with.

James Rishky

The supportive team at Lemonstand has been great to work with.

Reviewed 2017-11-09

Pros
Lemonstand makes our site easy to manage and maintain. Having a platform that allowed for customization was important to us. The team at Lemonstand is quick to respond and support us with any question or request including custom building features for our site. The integrations have also improved our processes unique to our orders.

Ben Ho

E-Commerce Platform that supports subscription based models really well

Reviewed 2017-01-29

Fuud is a meal kit delivery service that provides chef-designed recipes accompanied by as many local products in British Columbia that we can source, and package it all in a meal kit delivered to your home. LemonStand provides a forward thinking E-commerce platform that allowed us to customize an online purchase experience specific to our subscription-based meal kit delivery business. In more detail, Lemonstand platform has subscription based functionality that allows us to manage our entire online storefront, from user's subscribing to the meal plans, to doing unified billing and then reporting on the data to process rest of fulfillment. From the UI (Theme) to some backend components, the platform is very flexible and their documentation on the platform/functionality is very comprehensive, easy to understand. When we were evaluating the different E-Commerce platforms on the market, LemonStand stood out because they were the only ones that had proper native functionality at the platform level supporting subscription based e-commerce business models without heavy customization. The one thing that I really appreciate is how much LemonStand values client feedback and their responsive customer support. Furthermore, the co-founders themselves are really hands on trying to work closer with clients, pushing the limitations of their platform and prioritizing features that future proof it for our needs.

Nick Toye

eCommerce Simplified

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2016-09-24

Many years ago when I was working with a company developing eCommerce products, I found myself frustrated and restricted by the platform we were using. Too many options, not enough clarity and a constant drain on my resources to get something half decent. I discovered LemonStand and instantly fell in love with the product. The design of the UI, the simplicity of the theme development and of course wonderful customer service. I feel I can call many of the LemonStand guys friends. They don't hide behind corporate walls and are always happy to speak with the devs who use their platform. That to me was important, as I found out early on that they are totally in tune with what dev's want from an eCommerce platform. Since they moved to the cloud, I have found even more clarity and a more sensible roadmap to developing great websites. Ok, there isn't a plethora of plugins and add-ons, but personally I find that a good thing. You know that whatever is available is solid, and is well supported. I really like the direction the company is going in, and I only ever use LemonStand for my eCommerce dev needs. It's such a pleasure to develop in.

Pros
Customer Support Ease of use Lovely UI

Jules Renaud

Reviewed 2016-09-27

What distinguishes the product is that it is highly customizable, very well featured, performant and resonably priced. I would recommend giving Lemonstand a spin, they have a two week free trial. The client for which I build a webstore using Lemonstand operates in Quebec (Canada), where both French and English are spoken by the general population. I needed the website to be bilingual and Lemonstand was the only product I found that was customizable to the level that this project needed. I was able to build a bilingual eCommerce website even though it wasn't a featured option.

Pros

Cons
Blog and general CMS features were lacking when I used Lemonstand but it's next up on their roadmap, so the product is very close to being full-featured. Actually I think it's up and running now.

Kelsey Dech

Great Customer Service and Sleek Software

Reviewed 2017-11-09

Pros
The overall platform is relatively easy to navigate and their customer service team are always willing to go the extra mile to assist you with your needs. They are always welcoming feedback and continue to improve their software based on user recommendations.

Cons
There are certain limitations in report exports and product category organization but from what I understand, they are working on improving this.

Daniel Reed

An affordable alternative to Shopify without sacrificing quality

Reviewed 2017-04-07

I recently worked very closely with LemonStand while implementing a client's extremely customized subscription store (https://www.dollarscent.com) on the LemonStand platform. The platform is reliable, fast, intuitive and extremely capable SaaS solution with various integration options at your disposal out of the box. LemonStand offers a more affordable pricing point versus competitors without sacrificing quality. The best thing about LemonStand is the customer support. Their team went above and beyond in helping us implement a highly customized site on their platform, from custom code examples to one on one support via phone.

Anonymous

Lemonstand is a great e-commerce software with even better customer service

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2017-11-11

Super easy to manage inventory, great customer service Some more established plug-and-play website builders are a bit better for novice web designers, but Lemonstand makes managing inventory super simple, and their customer service has always compensated for any issues that have popped up for me.

Pros
The team behind Lemonstand is always incredible helpful, efficient, and for a novice website designer like me, they go out of their way to help me tackle any problems that arise.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Gina Harrison

Wonderful play for for my business and an exceptionally great Support Team

Reviewed 2017-11-01

great support team backing you up.

Pros
the support team is like no other. I was hesitant to use lemonstand over spotify, but after making the switch, I am so happy. Support from customer service was outstanding.