All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Magento Commerce

Site content and customer journey management for eCommerce

Magento Commerce Reviews

Reviews Summary

Pros

I liked that it was free to download, you cannot argue that price. I had heard from a colleague that they loved the platform and the community, so I figured it was worth a try.

Read the full review
My experience with Magento was a bit tough during the learning process but after that it has been awesome. I would always recommend Magento.

Maryann A.

Sachith D.

Charlie M.

Read the full review
M sure we got what we paid for so shame on us but the alternative because of magento's lack of credible viable resources was to cancel the project.

Frederick U.

Read the full review
The development on the platform is incredibly difficult. And when a client asks for updates, many Magento developers have bad practices due to the low entry point.

Brendan C.

Magento 2.0 Review

We are extremely happy about this software. We have developed a fully functional CRM system together with a beautiful website -> no link but you can search Mike's Cigars and check it out yourself.

Pros

The biggest, most robust but most importantly Open Source e-commerce software out there. The only limitation is your imagination...

Cons

Developer's cost is really high unless you can afford in-house dev team like we do but otherwise, your budget will most likely be blown way before you finish your project.

Best Ecommerce Platform

Overall, Magento is a very good platform for me to start immediately an Ecommerce site. I have many clients and i have done very good design works for them over Magento. Easily add features according to client specification, very high secure and fast site.

Pros

Magento is a very good platform to make eCommerce sites easily and a lot of features inside it. Easily create a layout, adding multiple languages, adding manual codes easily. Apart from that Magento is a free platform to install it to server and start a website easily. Magento is a highly secure and fast loading site. Easy SEO platform.

Cons

Magento is a very good platform for Pro-Magento persons. But if you are a new person and plan to start magento then it'll take more time to know about the features inside it.

Magento for big expectations

We are using Magento mostly to develop vendor marketplaces, multi-store marketplaces, supplier e-shops that are serving XML and JSON feeds with thousands of products to retail stores. It's stability and power for those type of projects is amazing and never failed us or any of our customers on production.

Pros

As a developer when using Magento for big projects I like that I can develop my extensions using Composer which I am familiar using with other projects too, making development easier and familiar. I like the One Page Checkout feature that is offered out of the box, because with other e-commerce platforms I need to install a template to convert the checkout page to 1-page checkout. Customers usually leave if the steps required to complete an order are many or hard to complete. Varnish for caching is a MUST and easy to setup on Magento, that's what I like most, because for big scale projects caching and performance is always required by default!

Cons

Magento is already secure, but I would recommend to make more security tools or strict development guidelines especially for developers, that if the community follows, it will take security of the platform to another level. This would be very useful for big scale projects and big companies that are relied on Magento to store and secure sensitive data.

If you build it they will come really should be if you build on here you're stuck!

The platform is not plug and play the way Magento presents it to be. You are really only buying an outlined platform of how your site will approximately look. Most of the real work and heavy lifting still needs to be done in the programming. Not what expensive templates are supposed to deliver. Unless you can hire an in house experienced Magento developer stay away. You will either be taken advantage of and pay way too much for your site's development or be stuck with a foreign company impossible to communicate effectively. Almost all of the well know e-commerce platforms are easier to maneuver and have considerable affordable US based skilled help.

Pros

the ability to display and manipulate graphics is second to none.

Cons

We purchased megento 2.0 platform for our ecommerce site. We asked our friends at Magento to recommend some developers. My partners and I are fairly savy HTML programers and quick learners. We picked Magento because it came with a solid template and touted it's back end admin ease of usage. We figured we would hire a developer to make sure we had a correct skeloton and basic map of what we wanted...

Brick & Mortar and eCommerce store made easy

The fact that you’ve got Desktop, Mobile and Brick and Mortar all handled in one place, your shop will be up and running within a ridiculously short amount of time. The power of Magento takes the hard work out, leaving you with the easy work of offering your customers a great experience from arriving, to leaving with what they were looking for...

Pros

Magento makes it quick and easy to add and manage your inventory. From importing your old (archaic) spreadsheets and adding photos, to grouping your products in coherent sections, Magento Commerce quickly brings your brick and mortar stock into an ePos system, and simplifies the process in getting your online store out to the world swiftly. The templates allow you to put your company branding into...

Cons

I guess the only real issue is how well you’ve organised your stock before starting with Magento, but this will apply to any eCommerce platform. I was using several CSV/excel spreadsheets, but once you’ve cleansed (corrected duplicates, ensured product IDs etc were correct), Magento will do all the heavy lifting for you on import. I wouldn’t really say that this is a negative, as it’s a standard housekeeping that you would do on any eCommerce platform.

My Magento Review

Magento is the future of online shopping. You can truly customize your shop for any look, feel or functionality you need.

Pros

I could customize my online store to look the way I want it while giving my customers the online shopping experience they deserve. The reviews extension really helps with building credibility.

Cons

I found that starting to use Magento was extremely overwhelming. I had to spend hours just setting up a few features that I needed.

Good Ecommerce Software with Powerful Interface

Pros

Administrator- Features availability for admin is very good and if you are used of it then you can get each and every bit of data whatever you want to extract.

Cons

Biggest problem with the software is its complexity. If you are beginner then it is very difficult to understand the structure of its panel. Also plugins customisation seems to be very tricky. You have to look for many options if you want to explore this.

Best CMS Platform for E-Commerce Websites

Pros

The security is best compared to other CMS platform such as WordPress, Joomla, etc.

Cons

Little complicated to use the CMS as it's little complex. The cost of themes and plugins is expensive. So if user wants to have base minimum application to develop he / she has to shell too much compare to other CMS platforms.

Comprehensive and powerful e-commerce software

We've been using Magento for our company website for over 4 years. It allows us to easily showcase hundreds of products, while making it easy to update and maintain.

Pros

It is packed with features. I have used it for years and I still don't know all of it's capabilities. If you're looking to do anything with an ecommerce site, then magento can deliver. There are numerous free and paid extensions to expand the capabilities. It's very easy to code, so hiring a programmer for custom work is cheap and easy as well.

Cons

The learning curve is moderately steep, but it's nothing insurmountable. It just takes some practice and patience.

Depending on your needs, Magento can be great, but it will cost you.

It's a hard platform to use with lots of bugs and frequent updates. If your organization needs Magento, it needs Magento - but managing a Magento site will result in a lot of headaches and a lot of development expense.

Pros

Magento is fully open source and very powerful. No matter how many products or orders you receive, Magento is strong enough to handle it and manage them. It's the perfect tool if you're selling products with many variations and/or customization options. The sky is the limit as far as web customization goes because it is open source.

Cons

Magento development is very expensive and absolutely required if you have a Magento platform. In House development can be very time consuming and strangle IT departments for web optimization. Site updates can get caught in caching loops as well. All integration projects to Magento are also time consuming and expensive. The free version of Magento might start out free, but you will be paying heavily in the end no matter what. Customization can get really complicated and often can cause problems down the line.

A Robust Ecommerce Content Management System

My team used Magento to build our B2B ecommerce platform, and that helped us to get seed funding. It could have been more stressful to build the ecommerce website from scratch, but Magento eased off the stress appreciably.

Pros

Magento is a Content Management System (CMS) used for building ecommerce websites. I used Magento when I was part of a team that were building a B2B ecommerce website. Among the things I love about Magento include: 1. Ability to have multiple user accounts for one store: When I was working on the Ecommerce platform, there was a need to onboard merchants on the platform. The products to be onboarded...

Cons

There are a few cons I observed about Magento. They include: 1. Hard to learn: It was the first time my team used Magento, and spent sleepless nights trying to understand how it works, and how to customise it. This was very stressful, and was the reason for which my team dumped it. 2. Expensive themes: Magento is not as widely used as some other ecommerce CMSs. This caused there to be fewer theme developers and also making the premium themes to be quite expensive. 3. Small community: Owing to the small user base of Magento, the community is quite small. This made it somewhat hard to get solutions online.

For Large Scale Businesses

Overall, We recommend Magento as a remarkable choice for E-commerce especially for those companies whose sales are beyond $1-2 million. Magento provides an excellent platform for businessmen. Moreover, Magento allows its users to automatically update their E-commerce websites and offers companies with solutions and an extensive support network.

Pros

Opportunities: Magento provides a variety of opportunities for E-commerce in a single dashboard. It is equipped with an excellent Business to Business portal and management system, Additionally, it can store views which helps countries to manage all of their inventory. Such valuable information helps them to improve their catalogs and marketing in the future. Catalog: Magento provides an excellent platform when it comes to adding up a large number of items and products and piling it together for any storefront website. Also, it provides developers with high customizations and designing capabilities which makes their catalog even more attractive and fascinating for their customers.

Cons

Charges: No doubt Magento is great software but nothing comes for free, some of the features offered by Magento do not come for free and a subscription is required to gain access to them which seems to be pretty hefty unless the business is running successfully. Additionally, to gain access to the dedicated servers, the users have to pay a sturdy amount. Non-User Friendly: Magento is non-user friendly at times as it receives constant updates that create problems with the extensions and custom code s you have on the site. Additionally, when it comes to dealing with items in bulk Magento tends to lag and makes the uploading and converting a very slow process.

Complicated But Can't Be Beat

I began using Magento over 15 years ago, in one of their earliest versions, when I had outgrown some of the boxed ASP.net solutions available at the time. The open source nature of the software is absolutely amazing, and it has been fun to watch it expand over all these years. Today I am running 6 different websites with different versions of Magento, and I've built many more than that, most of which are still in use. Magento makes it easy to create and deploy affordable eCommerce solutions that scale and grow with the customer, even if it is a bit tricky to learn for beginners.

Pros

Magento is easily the most extensive and full-featured piece of open-source eCommerce out there. Once you understand the layout, you'll find that it is very intuitive and flows perfectly. What really shines for me for Magento is all the different options available out there. Not only are there open source versions you can host and manage yourself, but you can pay for the enterprise versions too. There is basically a plug-in or module available at this point for anything you need to accomplish, along with thousands of professionals out there that can help if you get in a jam. Best of all, Magento easily grows with you and is simple to harness and hold back features from, any easy to unchain it and grow with you.

Cons

It took me a good bit of time to learn AND get comfortable with this software and how it works, which was a bit of a pain, so this software isn't for the faint of heart or a weekend warrior shop keeper who doesn't have extensive knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.

Robust Out of Box Features Paired with Customization

In terms of e-commerce platforms, Magento has proven to be a great value because of it extensive out of box features and relatively moderate price. Overall, it is one of the more commonly used platforms, so it is easier to find developers who know and are willing to work with the platform, which can reduce your maintenance costs.

Pros

The Magento E-Commerce platform offers a wide array of out of box features that are ideal for managing an online store. The platform also provides an extensive amount of flexibility for add-ons and customizations to cater to your specific business model and fulfillment needs. Extensions/Modules for the platform are readily available through a variety of vendors and developers at varying costs depending on the complexity of the feature involved. In a marketplace filled with expensive annual license fees and strict feature offerings, Magento is a great value for the investment.

Cons

Magento has changed it target audience significantly since its acquisition by Adobe, now catering more to mid- to large-size businesses. This is reflective in its pricing model and its termination of support for the older version of the version of the Community platform (Magento 1). It's flexibility for modules and extensions, while very beneficial, can create complexity and additional development...

Best Enterprise Level eCommerce Platform

Magento is incredible if you have the technical team and developers that know how to work with it and make it shine.

Pros

Magento has a lot of functionality out of the box to set up and ecommerce store. The UX for M2 is significantly better than it was on M1. You can really narrow down the scope of permissions that your provide to users.

Cons

There have been a lot of bugs that have come up that should have been worked out before release. There is a fairly high technical barrier to entry compared to other platforms.

Flexible and Administration Ease

Enterprise and dealing with the development company that supported us was terrible but community and a local developer has been great. We didn't have the budget for the big version but were sold into it by the developer when the community version was more appropriate.

Pros

We are a small family business and reliant (for many things) on our ability to manage the back end of our site. Neither of us have a background in building sites, managing integration, etc. but we have been able to get very comfortable with the back end of the site. For a novice or inexperienced person, I was surprised that I could pick it up quickly. We use the community version which has been critical...

Cons

It's possible that it is far more plug and play than I realize for plug-ins but would love to see something user friendly created. There used to be some version of Magento that I think was discontinued but you almost need something for smaller companies that gives them the sophistication of the community edition but potentially managed by Magento. In the next few years, we need to make a decision to stay on Magento or move and Shopify has a managed version that is very intriguing. Our computers are using it and Big Commerce and they look every bit as sophisticated on the front end as we do but we are reliant on a separate developer who could move on or go out of business. A stable subscription based product for larger small businesses would be great.

An In-depth eCommerce platform if you know how to use it to its potential.

Great platform if you have the development team and budget behind you!

Pros

I've been using Magento for over 2 years as the main eCommerce platform for an internet based company and is a great bit of kit if you know what your doing. Magento offer a couple of versions to choose from, giving you the ability to select the right platform for your level of expertise. The platform itself offers an indepth eCommerce system with the ability to pull reports, manage products, promotions, sales and much more, easily and effectively while offering a whole load of other back ground features to really help take your business to another level. In terms of support there is a whole world of this available via reading Q&A or by contacting them directly. They have a whole help centre dedicated to their platform and offering reasonable support when needed.

Cons

If you're a beginner into the world of eCommerce platforms then Magento isn't the platform for you. The interface is complex and can come across as a bit overwhelming if you don't know where you're looking for something. While it is a great platform, it is aimed at developers who have the experience to know what they are doing with it. Its not a platform for small businesses looking to set up shop for the first time. While not a direct reflection on Magento, we suffered lots of attacks from spam bots, some reports where not filtering correctly and we eventually changed to Wordpress when we rebranded. The move was a welcome one as unless you really get to depths with Magento, it can have a draw back effect.

Professional and Awesome E-Commerce Platform

I am using Magento in my E-commerce websites and also I have used this platform for my clients. My overall experience with Magento is really awesome because this is the platform that allows me to add products on client's websites with lots of details. My all clients are really happy with the work that I have done for them using Magento. Because this platform gives really unique and professional look to the websites. It's really incredible and it has solved all the eCommerce problems which I was facing in the past. Now I have created a number of online stores using Magento.

Pros

According to my experience, there are lots of things that I like in Magento. This platform gives you the power to create and build professional e-Commerce stores. We can add products in different categories and we can add complete details of the product. Purchasing options for the product are really fabulous and incredible because we can add different payment options. The dashboard is really easy to understand and use. This is the best open-source e-commerce platform that allows you to add beautiful and stunning themes for your website, So you can build a beautiful e-commerce website.

Cons

If you are going to install Magento on Local Server, then the method is a bit difficult. But if you are going to install on your own hosting then the process is really easy. So according to my experience, the process of Magento localhost installation should be easy for beginners. All other things about Magento are really awesome and fabulous.

Magento makes your investments very worthwhile

Magento solves your eCommerce solutions even if you have an online business which requires scaling. Magento helps you to be hosted by eCommerce solutions like Volusion and Shopify that gives the flexibility you need.

Pros

Are you looking for a solution in eCommerce? Magento provides you the solution of eCommerce. Magento makes your investments very worthwhile even if it is your main business. It has been recommended as one of the best solutions to eCommerce since it is flexible and scalable. It has also become so much popular for the fact many companies bear its name. Pros - 1. It is user-friendly. Magento’s administration...

Cons

Cons- 1. Only the community version of Magento is cheap. The other versions of Magento including support and enterprise and the premium enterprise versions aren’t freely available. Their prices are very high for every person to afford. 2. Magento can only be hosted on dedicated servers. Since it is large, it can’t be hosted in small servers that aren’t dedicated because it needs to be configured. 3. It requires a lot of time to customize using magneto. The architecture who have designed it have made it complicated and hence it takes a lot of time to learn the learning curve and make customizations as compared to other eCommerce solutions.

Great For Larger Businesses

Mostly positive. Any obstacle can be overcome but still if I didn't need the bells and whistles I would go somewhere else.

Pros

Magento is open source. You can add anything you want there are an unlimited number of developers and extensions available and with Magento 2 the code is more regulated. It is very easy to scale.

Cons

Time intensive. For anyone who doesn't need frills Magento is a hassle. It requires constant care, constantly has performance issues and you always need to work on those. It's a highly used platform that is always open to attacks and so security updates need to be done regularly by your in-house or outsourced IT team. It's a lot of work.

Magento – The largest community that one can have

In short words, I wouldn’t recommend using this software. It’s has a lot of flaws which need to be fixed as fast as possible. Other software is much better than Magento. It’s not worth your time and money. It’s too expensive and provides little for that kind of money. If you can avoid using Magento that would be perfect for you or your company.

Pros

What I like about Magento is that they have a large community. A lot of people are using Magento and they are facing the same problems as you. So they can help you out if you just reach them. One simple message should be fine. This is the main thing that I like but besides this Magento offers you some features that other software companies don’t. Like managing multiple stores or if you want you can manage just one. By managing an online store Magento offers you full control over the store and the codes and you can develop them in a way that you want.

Cons

Now what I don’t like is that for you to use Magento you need to have some previous experience in coding. It’s not easy to use, not everyone can use it. Another thing is that is costly. It’s not worth the money that you are giving because you won’t get anything in return. Magento sometimes works very slow which is not optimal if you are managing a store. Plus it doesn’t have any customer service support which means you are on your own.

Magento Among the Best for eCommerce

Overall, I have been very satisfied with Magento Commerce. It did take some getting use to, and now that there are some other competitors in the market, I'd say that Magento has passed my expectations and I would consider Magento as a top competitor for eCommerce. Definitely watch a few tutorials to get an idea about the initial setup, and give Magento Commerce a try.

Pros

Magento is incredibly flexible, it allows you to start with a framework that has the function to develop an eCommerce platform / store just how you'd want it. There are numerous add-ons that intergrate effectively making it somewhat of an easy plug and play. Considering that I was working on one platform to run several micro-niche stores, it works extremelly well. There's a lot to learn, but it's a superb platform for eCommerce.

Cons

Just like any business, there will be some investments to make in order to get the eCommerce platform to perform the way you want it to, however, there's a steep learning curve at least from my experience. I had to read and watch a lot of tutorials to get the websites where I wanted them to be but it was also educational since this was the first time I was setting up multi-stores. It was a rather complex procedure, and I had to rely on Magento experts at times to help with the development of the site.

Robust, but SO Much Work to Use

Honestly, very few. I suppose it's good to have gained a little experience with Magento to add to my repertoire, but that's about it.

Pros

There are a plethora of installed features: search term synonyms, built-in marketing tools, detailed shipping/packaging settings, separate catalog and cart price rules, etc. It's a monster of a platform, one that serves many companies very well. Not having to install a hundred plugins (like on WP) to do what Magento does out of the box is a plus, for sure, not to mention having to worry about the compatibility, support, and updates on WP plugins.

Cons

Go away for 5 minutes, you're signed out. Also, literally every website I download Magento to has to have everything reindexed. I get this message immediately after installing Magento: "One or more indexers are invalid. Make sure your Magento cron job is running." Very little info out there on how to fix this, so the first go around was a bit tricky. Not impossible or difficult now, but it's not a...

With Magento, developer training is important

My introduction to Magento was very bad. I was a developer that got handed a Magento website that had been built by someone who had never used Magento before. I broke many things. I fixed other things. I would find about 5 articles describing how to fix something and none of them said the same thing and sometimes none of it would work. I took an introduction to Magento course and things started making a lot more sense. Please, for the sanity of whoever builds your site, make sure they get training if they need it.

Pros

Magento lets you do so much right out of the box even with the free community edition. It has great product management, comprehensive discounting options, multilingual functionality and more. Customization can also be done to hook Magento into your CRM software, simplifying inventory management. Since Magento is so popular there's a good chance that if you have a problem to solve someone else has already tried, and possibly succeeded, at solving it. There is a large plugin marketplace.

Cons

Magento is a beast. You will not be able to make template or other programmatic changes to a Magento without a developer. Even then, the developer you have may struggle because the code can be complicated and confusing and online resources are often out of date or for the wrong version. If you are going to use Magento I strongly recommend that you get a developer that has worked on at least one Magento in the past. If you have the money and time to get your developer trained, Magento offers courses and I found them quite helpful.

Magento : Perfect eCommerce platform

More than just an ordinary eCommerce platform which is efficient and effective .

Pros

Magento is suitable for any business group whether it is a small or large business and its admin dashboard will provide a perfect overview of the business.We can use free and paid plugins as our requirements.It is a Responsive eCommerce platform which can runs on any mobile or computer devices and also Highly customizable and developer friendly CMS platform.Enriched with important features and functionalities to provide everything in a one platform. Magento is capable for integrations such as payment gateways and able to set up currency and languages depend on the location.

Cons

I'm using magento 2.2 . The main con according to me is, when i need to edit the content of a page it will give us only a small size text area(text box) which is difficult to work with using mouse scroll and also If we are having large number of products website may slow with its performance. Developer skills are required if we want to customize the platform.

Select your country

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.