Ning for Businesses Logo

Suggested alternatives

nicejob
circle
hivebrite

Ning for me was a great adventure in learning a new platform.
Wonderful way to connect company-wide with the message boards and chat functionality.
Helped me to create my community, good design studio, ease of use.
I have never had as many problems with a website as I do with Ning. I have never had an experience as bad as I have with Ning.
You will look very unprofessional advertising a website with constant problems, that is constantly offline, and when it is, rarely works correctly. There are better website platforms.
We were also able to prove this with clear emails. But Ning has been stalling us for several months now and refuses to pay us back.

EM

Elena M.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Ning seems to be alive again. Support is cool

I suggested Ning software for building alumni community of my college.

Pros

I saw their new design - it`s cool. It`s a good sign that the company is moving ahead. And I wouldn`t risk to change a tested since 2013 Ning to a new product. Especially now, when Ning adds new features.

Cons

It has been quiet for a long long time. Previous management didn't put any efforts to contact with creators. Let's see what will happen after their big changes.

Elena, thank you! We are aspiring for more and making big changes within to make your user experience better. You are welcomed to share your thoughts with our customer support. Always yours, Ning :)

Shahram S.

Most reliable online Community Builder site

Great platform for very small staffed community sites!

Pros

We build a Ning site for our Non-Profit community. it grew to 3000 members within 2 year! Since I was the only webmaster, I needed a platform that saves me all the technical work and let me just administrate it, and Ning was the choice!

Cons

Customer support was not as fast, but they did respond by next day. The rss feed modules would not update at times and I had to empty the cache for the site a few time. But no big deal.

Susan D.

Design,

Used other for 2+ years

Ning for me was a great adventure in learning a new platform.

I got my feet wet with online marketing with Ning as my first and still most loved content management system. I learned a great deal.

Pros

I used Ning for three different attempts at building a social network that was self-sustaining over a period of several years. What attracted me to it was of course, having my own niche social network where like-minded individuals can come to support each other in their online or offline pursuits. The Ning community and web site is a niche social site in itself and that is a built-in peer support...

Cons

In the beginning of my Ning journey which was approximately nine years ago, I noticed that there was a great deal of concern by Ning users about some of the developer features and the lack of a member payment feature. For instance, the Facebook sign in feature didn't work right for years. That was a development issue. I believe that most of the earlier development bugs were worked out through...

RO

Rachael O.

Publishing, 1-10 employees

Solid solution for creating a company-wide social network

Pros

Cons

It would be nice if the maximum file size limit was increased, as we often have to store files on a separate server and link to them on Ning.

SB

Sandra B.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Helped me to create my community, good design studio, ease of use

Very easy to use, great support working 24/7

Pros

Design studio, extensive guides and support, forum feature. There are the top. Also I loved that in the future I can create events and send email broadcasts.

Cons

Trial period is only 2 weeks - which is quite short for me, as I needed time to attract members and see how to communicate with them

Thank you for being sincere! We do care and read your reviews, it's our motivation to become better and give more. You know that we are open for discussion, so you can write to our Customer Support as well. Will be excited to chat with you:) Always yours, Ning.

MY

Monty Y.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

I have never had as many problems with a website as I do with Ning!

My experience with NIng has been an absolute nightmare!

Pros

Ning is fairly easy to use. You can design your own website. It may not work or allow others to join like advertised, but it is easy to use.

Cons

I have never had as many problems with a website as I do with Ning! I have never had an experience as bad as I have with Ning. I started a Ning website on June 26th 2020. Since then, I have had 19 people message me, 19, that said they were unable to join the website because it is 'UNDER MAINTENANCE". Nobody from Ning ever notified me that my website, that I pay for, is constantly under maintenance...

JK

Julia K.

Online Media, 1-10 employees

Stay away from this platform

Pros

We had chosen Ning as a platform for our company. First of all, we were well assisted by the support team in building the website.

Cons

Since our company is based in Germany and we have stricter data protection regulations here than in the USA, we needed a signed contract from Ning to secure data protection. Without this contract, we were not able to publish the website. Therefore, Ning had offered to pause the user fees until we received this signed contract. After almost 1 1/2 years we still haven't received this contract back, despite...

HG

Heather G.

Publishing, 1-10 employees

Cost-Effective Solution for Building an Internal Website

We selected Ning as the platform on which to create what is essentially our company intranet for our franchisees. This has proven to be a cost-effective solution in the early stages of developing our intranet and determining our needs.

Pros

Ability to modify/customize the site's appearance and some layout/features within a selection of pre-designed options.

Cons

It can be somewhat cumbersome for the administrator designing or redesigning the site, depending on the site's purpose and intended use within the member network (as in our case). Also it would be nice to have additional customization options for the site's layout and functionality that a layman site administrator can easily manage.

Used other for 1-2 years

Used Ning for years

Pros

I like that Ning made a built in paid membership feature. Many many others will only allow a 3rd party software or “patch” to make this work.

Cons

Boxy look and feel. They never allowed for an integrated storefront. I had to do a third party software to sell products.

Mark H.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Low quality product with unfair customer service.

Pros

The ability to create a basic community quickly is nice - but that's about it.

Cons

We did a short trial with Ning, and quickly found the platform lacked a quality UI, was slow to operate, and challenging to customize. Integrations with other systems were essentially a non-starter. The fancy marketing, aggressive sales, and given 14-day trial makes you think you can make progress in a short amount of time, but the indeed the work needed was substantial. When we forgot to cancel in time, even though we never utilized the platform or touched it after our 14 days, they still charged us for a full year of service and refused to provide a fair reimbursement for a product we never used.

LU

Liza U.

Market Research, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Ning is surprising me with new features and updates

I needed close community for my customers where they can share their idea and discuss relevant topics

Pros

I`m pleasantly surprised with new updates. As I know, a new version will provide an opportunity to add and listen to music. I don`t know for sure, but looking forward to.

Cons

When I just launched my network, I needed some educational videos to explain how everything works. But haven't found any materials. And their dashboard could be better

Kadir E.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Horrible service, horrible support

Charged me without authorization, refused to refund for the remaining 30 days of the subscription... Never again.

Pros

Simple, easy to use, good for beginners

Cons

Money-hungry organization, poor customer service, impossible to customize