All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

QuarkXPress

Graphic designing and image editing tool

QuarkXPress Reviews

Used to be #1...now, not so much.

Pros

Quark is great for print design, text-heavy layouts, and what used to be referred to as desktop publishing.

Cons

They dropped the ball years by being slow to release a compatible version with Mac OSX, and have been struggling to get back in the race ever since. Meanwhile, Adobe InDesign became the industry leader, and there's no going back to Quark. It just doesn't have the smooth cross-application compatibility you get staying in the Adobe Suite.

Quark XPress

Pros

I love Quark for layout purposes. It's easy (for me) to use and I have been using it for years. The functionality is basic but very user friendly to create complex and sophisticated designs.

Cons

Since it doesn't seem to be in the industry standard anymore (sadly) it's hard to use daily because the updates do not come through.

Quark is fine, but InDesign is better

I use Quark occasionally, when a client only works in Quark. I find it feels antiquated compared to Adobe Creative Suite.

Pros

I don't really see any features that beat out InDesign. This used to be the industry standard, but less and less do my clients use Quark. Only in publishing and they are moving away from that.

Cons

It's not the standard and converting files to InDesign is not always seamless. Quark is outdated in my opinion.

Easy to make a brochure

I have used this software for decades and even though InDesign has become the desired desktop for cross platform use, Quark is fast and easy to use.

Pros

It is very user friendly. It is great to make flyers, brochures, or any desktop publishing items.

Cons

It doesn't have good features for type manipulation, such as shadows.

I've been using Quark over 16 years. It needs mayor improvements to be the industry standard again.

Pros

This program it is very precise, measurements can be exact and the dialog box for PDF output selection is also very detailed. Also outputting linked files and fonts into one location is easy.

Cons

The need to purchase 3rd party plugins to get many things done. Quark should address those needs in their next version.

Simply legacy software that we are forced to use

My overall experience with QuarkXPress is quite poor, with problems opening new image file formats. However we need this software to use old layouts.

Pros

I like that I can open legacy QuarkXPress files to open old document layouts that we need.

Cons

This software is showing its age, with an increasingly obvious lack of features, and trouble with Windows 10 compatibility.

Quark is just like Adobe InDesign with less bells and whistles, and is a little harder to use.

I was able to easily create text-only programs for events that my work was putting on. It was super easy for basic projects.

Pros

I used it in college, and it was a great beginner tool for learning how to do page layouts, and is relatively cost efficient.

Cons

It doesn't integrate well with other software, and it falls short on the graphical layout side. Only ended up using it for text only event programs.

Nice page layout software

Pros

Its easy to use for beginners learning desktop publishing

Cons

Outdated - doesn't work as well with other Adobe products

Loved Quark until I got my hands on InDesign

Pros

I learned Graphic Design elements with Quark. It was a great way to learn the basics of design and layout.

Cons

Quark is limited in its capabilities compared to other designer programs (InDesign). Integrating Quark files with other software is often difficult to do.

User friendly desktop publishing software

Pros

I was able to learn how to use this software with very little training.

Cons

Nothing to say about what I like least. It works as it should.

Haven't heard of anyone using this since college

Becoming efficient with any design software takes practice. For the small amount of time I used this tool it served it purpose well.

Pros

Was a great tool for designing flyers for my business.

Cons

I found it difficult to navigate the interface.

Great to create magazines

Pros

I use this to create a literary magazine for my job. It allows me to put original artwork and create each page differently every time.

Cons

Sometimes the pictures have been not saving or says they do not save.

I use quarkxpress to do most of our printed materials for our small design firm. Its really descent

Pros

Its really gotten a lot better then its early days and really has started to be just as good for printed materials then adobes creative suite. Its price point makes it a no brainer!!!

Cons

Its only downfall is its not as diverse as adobes products. Adobes catalogs doesnt cater to print as much as quarkxpress but quark also doesnt offer a solid number. One software for a do it all creative punch.

Good, but I prefer alternatives.

Quark is a decent layout program, however I will say I prefer using InDesign.

Pros

The software overall was easy enough to learn. I feel like most things were pretty intuitive.

Cons

There were some limitations on the software. Certain features or tools that I would want to use that I couldn't. Or at least, I couldn't figure out how to if they were an option.

Decent design program

Pros

The thing I liked the most about this software was the ease of use.

Cons

Overall, I prefer other design programs like Illustrator, even Canva.

Essential graphic design software!

Pros

This software is awesome! It is comparable to InDesign as far as features an functionality go. But it definitely has a more intuitive interface and feels more like it belongs on a Mac.

Cons

I do like how easy it is to use Typekit with Adobe software, so I've been spoiled with that. Easily finding and using fonts can sometimes be an issue with Quark.

Great for text formatting

Pros

Very good for text formatting, easy to use, especially when formatting books and larger texts.

Cons

I wish there was a way to connect the app with software that works with vectors (Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Corel Draw..)

This used to be the standard in newspapers

Pros

QuarkXPRess can help you create newspaper and magazine layouts and make your work easier.

Cons

It has been outshone by Adobe InDesign and is no longer the industry standard.

Still Hanging in there...

Pros

Like most designers, I have moved over to InDesign. That being said, Quark can definitely still get the job done.

Cons

I think that it has fallen behind on some of the more modern features that other desktop publishing software has really improved on.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

Ā© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.