Strapi

Open-source CMS for website & mobile application projects

Strapi Reviews

Bruno A.

Arik C.

Strapi allow us to create a Backend environment with ease by reducing development times through a very good API.

Cons

It is on an Alpha state, so it is dangerous to rely on it for production.

Rubén F.

The problems with windows, this slowed down my start.

Mattias B.

Can't really say anything bad about it right now other than the fact there the learning curve can be slightly big and the lack of videos online when learning.

Jean-Philippe D.

4.7

API Framework / Headless CMS Made easy (and free)

Honestly this is by far the easiest solution for jumping into the headless CMS world and even better as an API framework to power whatever your needs are; Web, Mobile, Desktop, IOT, and even a smart toaster! The Strapi team is great and works hard to release feature and fix bugs as fast as they can.

Pros

Strapi is extremely easy to setup Simple database configuration with many choices (Mongo, Postgres, and MySQL) Simple to modify the backend code Getting up and running from zero to a complete API with data in as little as 10 to 20 minutes

Cons

I do think that more time needs to be spent on building a solid foundation (which the Strapi team are working on) More time needs to be spent testing bugs for all usecases (or some automation for the frontend testing needs to be implemented and I believe that is being done right now) While not an issue with the software itself, I do think that services like Heroku need to be put on the backburner and not pushed as heavily as Strapi is a service, Heroku and other "serverless" environments are not built to handle complex applications. At the same time more user involvment with Pull Requests are something that would greatly help development and bug fixing.

wonderful headless cms

i was looking for a headless cms and i found strapi fit perfectly with what i need.

Pros

easy to use simple to setup and to configure support graphql

Cons

still in alpha no many plugins available

strapi get the job done

So far so good. I am still new to it but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Pros

I loved the nice admin dashboard, the simple setup and the addition of authentication

Cons

I don't have any serious concern yet. I will give more information later

A great headless cms for your MVP

I became a regular user. There are few projects in which I do not use strapi, as it proves to be a rapid development helping in the evaluation of the features.

Pros

It is open-source. It is Restifull but has support for GraphQL It provides the Playground to build and test your queries and mutations. Docker support. All data is yours, that is, you have full control over your database. The project receives frequent investments from large companies. Extremely easy and quick to start a project.

Cons

Relationships in the database are still a critical and sometimes problematic point. It has no migrations of data. There is no 2FA. It does not delete unnecessary tables and columns from the database. Typescript is not supported.

Save time and money of building a REST API backend for your app

We built businesses with this tool by just using it as a simple CMS system. It's content type builder has a great intuitive user interface that helps design schemas really fast.

Pros

1. You can get a production ready REST API backend for you super duper hit mobile or web app in mere 20 minutes. 2. Ease with which you can select different database types.

Cons

User management module can have customer role user facing dashboard too.

Amazing experience with Strapi in production

When you need to tinker around with the source, the official documentation has all the information written in a legible and concise way. At our company, we have created everything from custom views, modified the branding, colors, etc. To put it in perspective: we had a detailed plan on how our API should look like, and we knew what the CMS system needs to have. From start until we were able to deploy to testing phase, it took less than an hour. We created all the custom views and branding modifications, deployed to production in a single day.

Pros

How easy it is to get started. You literally have a single CLI command, go through the process of setting up the connection to the database, and you're ready to work. From there, the UI/UX is great. During the development, it's important that prototying is FAST, which it is. The customization of views and data types is just the cherry on top. Support for GraphQL comes in form of a plugin that you install with a single click. That's it. Now you have GraphQL. In a single click. The documentation is automatically generates for your API is concise and to the point.

Cons

I'm waiting for out-of-the-box TypeScript support. It's planned, so I'm not worried. Sometimes, the UI shows an error when updating the component, even though the operation was successful. You just refresh the page and it works.

The future of Headless CMS for Node

I have been experimenting with Strapi for the past 6 months and have loved every minute of it. It truly solves the data coupling problem associated with traditional CMS's, and does so in a very intuitive way. Strapi is an amazing product, and I can see it being heavily adopted by Node developers in the future. The fact that it is open-source makes it even better.

Pros

- Setting up a new project is extremely simple - Layout is great - Supports many database types - API creation is flexible and very customizable (as advertised)

Cons

- Minor annoying bugs (alpha version) - Not many plugins/extensions yet - Internationalization features are missing

One of the best Headless CMS i've used.

I use it to provide a API for my Nuxt.js Applications. As it is simple to use, create apis for my applications its not hard to me anymore, since i've been start to use Strapi API.

Pros

The simplicity of use. It's very easy to use and have so much options to make simple to create a api that my web applications needed.

Cons

Its not simple to deploy it on production servers, especially on AWS and Heroku. I have so much issues before have success to deploy it on theses servers.

The Best Open Source Headless CMS

It is amazing. The amount of flexibility and the fact that it is free is great. I have used a few other Headless CMS and this one is by far the best. Highly recommend!

Pros

The flexibility that allows the developer to really customize the data schema when building the entities and relationships.

Cons

The CLI was not working the best when creating a startup project. The easy install has you type in which db to use, but mine was defaulting to others. I just explicitly called all the parameters in the install command and it worked that way. Not a big deal, but could be a major road block for a new developer.

Good Headless CMS although not the best

Pros

Strapi is written on React, which makes it very attractive for the community of JS developers, the application is easy to develop and with a simple and functional UI.

Cons

The UI provides a too simplistic UI view but separates the users of the app from the users to connect to the API, which is quite confusing, in addition, to have a three roles limit which makes the app extremely unattractive to force the user if the want to growth the will have to pay for a monthly subscription.

The search is over

I'm very impressed overall with the simplicity and lack of fluff, bloat features. The ui is clean intuitive and doesn't require extensive understanding of the guys to get going super quickly. The core product gives you more than enough to launch your APIs and there is good documentation that explain how to extend it when needed.

Pros

I'm building a running related platform that features unique running events around the world. I'm doing this as a part time "gig" because I have full time job. For the front end I settled on react which seems to do the trick. For the backend there were lots of options but my requirements were: easy UI for editors, configurable data model, graphql and an easy way to customize the functionality....

Cons

Would be nice to have an easy launcher or AMI for AWS. Seems like deployment options could be better documented.

The CMD Front-end Developpers love.

Pros

It is true. Strapi is very convenient to use and also customize. It works using plugins and makes it really easy to stay organised. No more will you have to re-write boring redundent API codes.

Strapi will replace yoru CMS

We've used Strapi in a few small projects and it's looking like a great alternative for our past choices

Pros

Strapi does a great job managing the basic structure of a CMS and including a lot of backend logic you'll probably use in your application.

Cons

It's still a infant compared to other CMS applications like Drupal and Wordpress (which supports API-only acess nowadays)

Backend for all of us

Strapi allowed me to focus on front-end development because it leverages the backend aspect of the project through a robust software.

Pros

Cons

The software is on its early versions, it needs to improve the way to update the cms.

Using Strapi to Unlock GIS data

We needed to expose GIS data stored in a proprietary database to users via the browser. Strapi allowed me to quickly write the backend code that had authorization and a REST API built in. I connected one end to the GIS and the other to a React-based front-end, using GeoJSON. This allowed the business to unlock GIS data without having to rely on proprietary GIS clients.

Pros

Strapi is easy to use and the included GUI allows setting up data, performing admin tasks and creating endpoints intuitive and simple. I also like the hooks that allow me to add standard functionality.

Cons

So far I haven't found anything not to like. I used to have to write custom code, now Strapi has eliminated much of this code.

Awesome Product

I have built a media centre for my project

Pros

1.Flexibility 2.MultiLanguage support 3.Customization

Cons

1.I have used umbraco cms.As of now there is no cons.

Awesome for agile startups

Pros

Highly customizable, beautiful and intuitive interface and the large amount of databases avaliable to use with.

Cons

It is on an Alpha state, so it is dangerous to rely on it for production. The ecosystem of plugins is on its infancy, so you would writing some common tasks (and potentially critical, like verifying payments)

Great software

Pros

It is easy to use and implementvery intuitive

Cons

Currently I have not seen consI think it's an excellent option

Simple but still very functional! With endless posibilities (and customisation).

I use Strapi as a node backend, this is usefull in combination with my node frontend webapp.

Pros

The way to setup a api quickly without much coding, but still understanding te basics.

Cons

The problems with windows, this slowed down my start. But vm's offered a solution and after a good development setup I was very well on my way.

Really good open source project

I'm solving our back end API getting really fast the project.

Pros

Strapi is ease to use, totally functional and extensible with your needs. Already support graphQL and is using koa framework so is totally updated with news technology.

Cons

I missed some languages translations only.

Very easy to user for beginners

I'm loving It

Pros

Very user friendly and easy to use , for a beginner who want's to start developing api's this is by far one of my favorites

Cons

So far nothing nothing made me dislike this software

Creating your own API is really easy

I wanted to develop a personal program and a friend of mine told me about strapi : you don't really care about the backend ? So go to use Strapi and indeed, Strapi helped me a lot and I earn so much time with it!

Pros

The easy and really quick way to create content type and data and access to it with Postman.

Cons

The little bug about default value for enumerated type.

REST-api-first CMS for MongoDB with modern features and active developer community

Pros

Strapi is actively being developed and extended to fit the needs of the growing user base. The community around Strapi including the Slack channel have been very helpful. We were able to start prototyping​immediately​ with Strapi and built a mobile client and a web user panel on top of it (got to love REST+Oauth)!

Cons

While active development means that popular features are implemented as they are requested by the community, some less popular features may take longer to realize​.

Fantastic Headless Alternative

Pros

The simplicity of getting Strapi up and running and connected to your frontend is key. Building content types is a great experiance and very fluid. I love the environment switching in the backend, this really solves a pain point in traditional cms workflows. I also really appreciate the separation of concerns, in other words not creating another "everything but the kitchen sink" cms.

Cons

It needs more extensions. However, I'm sure this will come with time.

Ridiculously Simple

Often times smaller projects are not profitable enough. With Strapi they are. It is so easy to spin up a simple api + backend so that i can focus on providing an awesome frontend. love it already!

Pros

_simplicity of building simple backends or apis for my customers _superfast protoyping or production ready apis / backends _highly customizable _plugin system

Cons

_there are only a few plugins (which will change soon afaik -> roadmap)