Volusion Logo

Volusion

eCommerce website store & shopping cart software

Volusion Reviews

User ratings

3.8

• Likelihood to recommend7.07/10

See full reviews by rating

Volusion is a great solution for those who want to sell online and use something else other than Shopify. It offers a lot of great functionality and has an easy to use interface.
Lots of great features come as standard and aren’t an optional paid extra like other solutions. Has a lot of great integrations.
I like the content management aspect & ease of use. I have been involved in all aspects of setting it up & using the software & I have been well pleased.
BY far the worst customer service experience I've ever had with any similar service. We have been working on re-platforming for 6 months so that we can leave them and never look back.

Volusion users...

Shopify-logocaret
listing-logo

Shopify

How would you rate Volusion?

Volusion has given us a great web site

We have been using Volusion since 2011. It has never failed us. Never has a customer or a potential customer called with a complaint about any aspect of our web site. We have hundreds of products, and thousands of customers. It is so easy to create new products, new pages, new categories, and arrange them as I wish. Volusion ia also handling our PPC accounts, creating and maintaining ads, with weekly reports. Overall, I would recommend Volusion to anyone looking to create a digital storefront.

Pros

The stability. There's never been an issue with connectivity.

Cons

There are not very many options for offering my customers discounts. Coupon codes are very restricted.

Great ecommerce platform

I've had a great experience with a software I continue to use it to this day

Pros

This is a very easy to use platform that I was able to learn quickly and has helped me immensely

Cons

If you're using multiple items especially in the hundreds plus I would definitely recommend the import export function

Nice starter for e-commerce or small inventory options

Overall experience was middle of the road. If you have a simpler website this will work okay for you, but for the industry I was in it was not able to handle the complexity of variations in the products for sale. When it came time to create a second website our company went with a different e-commerce platform that could handle it with a better user experience (both consumers buying on the website and administrators/customer service processing orders from the website's back-end dashboards).

Pros

I liked that they offered custom website design services so you know their design will work with optimally with their platform. Even though wait time were sometimes long, technical support also helped you with setup and testing different configurations to make sure it was working correctly or in the way you are hoping it to. The ability to mass download and update product information fields, including shipping, SEO, and pricing using Excel files was a huge plus.

Cons

Features for price differences on different options is too linearly set up, and the options show the user the price difference as (+/-)$0.00 to the base price shown, not the actual final price, which is confusing to many users. It was also difficult to create strict multi-variant pricing rules for products in which there was more than one option that effected final price (e.g. size and color).

Volusion works

all of my sales go through it

Pros

easy to help customers find what they are looking for

Cons

setting up was so very horrid, total pita

Good but aging

We've used Volusion for over 10 years now. Overall, it is a solid platform which is reliable and easy to use on a day to day basis. Basic set up and basic changes are fairly straightforward, but more advanced features are harder to use. As newer platforms such as Shopify and BigCommerce have become more popular in recent years, Volusion has not kept up with them in terms of features offered or ease of use.

Pros

Using Volusion to manage a website and ecommerce is fairly straightforward and easy once it is set up. Managing orders is a simple process.

Cons

The platform is starting to show its age. There are often things that we see other websites doing that we want to do but are unable because Volusion does not support those features. Trying to do more advanced things often involves going into the html and making changes manually (but they do give you step by step instructions for doing so).

OK if you aren't looking to do much.

Pros

It has built in inventory and purchase orders, so you can get away with just using Shipstation for shipping. If you are selling a small assortment of products on your own site only, this might work for you.

Cons

API is an absolute disaster. You can't find an agency to work with the API because it's proprietary, so you're limited to who is already partnered with Volusion. Do not, under any circumstances, use Volusion's native eBay and Amazon integrations. In fact, if you want to list products on a marketplace, it's best to use any other shopping cart. Parent-child products instead of swatch-linked and organized product variations. Inflexible because there are no metafields that you can create. It's either their predefined fields or nothing at all.

Good, but costs build up fast

It served its purpose early on when I was a small ecommerce store, but I outgrew it much too quickly.

Pros

I liked that it was easy to set up and get going. The user interface was simple and I was able to teach others to use it quickly.

Cons

While there were several small issues with its ability to interact with other services, my primary concern was that the bills just kept skyrocketing. My "usage" was reaching a point I had to find another option because the additional fees each month were astounding. Support was less than helpful of supportive of options to help mitigate the issues. Ultimately I ended up finding another provider.

I have been with Volusion for over 10 years and have never been disappointed.

Pros

Continuous uptime, fast & friendly customer service and tons of features to customize your site. I tried the SEO plan to optimize my site and my organic search is up dramatically, well worth every cent.

Cons

Can be somewhat daunting to get set up, but you'll get it. UI can be a bit confusing, but the Help Center is really easy to find and get all the answers you need.

I do not recommend using Volusion

Pros

Exporting data out and importing it back in is pretty easy, and pretty fast, but that is the only Pro I can think of...

Cons

It's not free itself, its a hosted, paid solution. You have very little control of the codebase, which highly interferes with customizations and SEO.

Old fashioned, much better options available

Pros

Volusion's platform is a mix match of old settings and products. Google searches don't reveal helpful information beyond simple answers. Documentation in google search results is to old salesforce support website that no longer works. Help articles are missing information or steps for how to configure simple items like Google Merchant feeds. Very closed ecosystem with very few vendors. Platform is totally outdated. It "does" work, but I regret having to use it because it already existed for the client.

Cons

Feature set is too old. Its like working on a platform that hasn't been updated since the early 2000's.

In over 10 years with Volusion my overall experience has been fantastic!

This software has allowed me to run a successful online business for more than 10 years.

Pros

I love everything about Volusion. The software is easy to use and it does everything I need it to do. In my 20+ years in business online I have had a lot of ecommerce carts and nothing even comes close to what Volusion does. Their support is excellent, although at times you do have to wait to speak to customer service, but they always resolve my issues quickly. They have even at times fixed things...

Cons

At this time I can only think of one issue that I wish were different. There are a couple reviews from customers that are inaccurate and unfair. In these cases I like to reach out and type a response. The software allows you to do that but you cannot create spaces between what they have typed and what I type. Not only will it not allow me to start a new paragraph, there is zero space between their response and mine. Although I am a perfectionist and wish I could create additional spaces so they can be read easier, it is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Very robust software but an outdated dashboard

This site had a lot of features I loved and were automatically included. Multi-level pricing, customer ticketing, ability to receive multiple payments against an invoice. Features that I no longer have on Shopify or have to pay extra for.

Pros

The best thing about Volusion is that many of the features are automatically included in their packages. Unlike Shopify where you have to add other apps to do things you want it to do. We were on Volusion about three years before switching to Shopify and it wasn't our choice to switch.

Cons

It wasn't easy for my staff to learn and the dashboard isn't very user-friendly or aesthetically pleasing like it's competitors. There aren't many free themes that make your site look amazing so you really need to pay for customization unless you know how to do it yourself. Also, downtime. It didn't happen often but when it did, you just have to wait until it comes back up.

Volusion is my only choice for SMB Ecommerce

I have owned Ecommerce sites since 2004 and Volusion is the best service for my needs. Excellent library of features and very easy to use. Integrates with numerous marketplaces as well.

Pros

- Ability to input COGS (the price I'm paying a manufacturer/supplier). - Ability to automate orders to be sent to vendors - Import/Export functionality works very well - Provide important features like the ability to setup redirects, edit your robots.txt file, etc.

Cons

- Volusion does offer SEO-friendly URLs but the naming convention applied could be cleaner - Volusion's free website templates are good, but very simple. If you would like a more advanced template their custom development fees are costly

It's full featured, but has fallen behind to more modern competitors

Pros

Very nuanced. Product options, shipping options, categories, etc. provide many options for customizing your store without the need for 3rd party integrations for added cost.

Cons

When issues arise, there is no email support, limited phone support and a live chat window (using Intercom) that just doesn't cut it. When a store goes down or has an issue, it's important to know exactly what the status of that issue is, and a live chat that can sometimes take an hour or more for a reply is insufficient. Also, bandwidth costs are VERY expensive and bills can add up quickly for established stores.

Multiple Sites on Volusion Platform

We've set up three separate stores. Volusion has had our back and is always quick to assist.

Pros

Initially when we got started 10 years ago, Volusion was the only platform that could handle the volume of products and the massive amount of product options we offered.

Cons

They have not kept up with the likes of 'Magento' or 'Shopify'. While easier to set up and use than Magento, they don't have the massive amount of available 3rd party custom apps available like Shopify.

Volusion for the Workplace

Great. It allowed for me to build a sleek and simple trailers site.

Pros

I like Volusion because of how it is set up in the background/Admin area. It is layed out where you can easily find things and keep your website info well organized. I switched to Volusion from Wix, and was able to teach myself how to use it. It allowed for more customizing that Wix did, and the company I work for is currently still using Volusion.

Cons

Sometimes I had to go back in and resave something because it didn't seem to take, but that could have very well been on my computer's end and not at the fault of Volusion.

Maybe not the best choice, but not a bad one

It is not bad, but probably you will find better options

Pros

I liked that it is easy to set up a fast and more or less professional looking ecommerce stores. And then sales follow.

Cons

As a customer I felt that they were more about developing their other platform for big companies (mozu) than taking care of updating Volusion. Templated where looking dated, it could not be multilanguages, and I had to pay strong extras to add some basic features. Anycase, it is a good platform, customer service is very attentive and I had good sales results with them.

Volusion is good platform for small business.

Overall it as been an asset to our business.

Pros

It is easy to set up and get started. You can quickly load products via spread sheets and process orders quickly

Cons

It doesn't offer as many integrations as other similar products. Customizing your design is difficult and it is missing some features that would be nice - such as advance reports and coupon functionality.

All-In-One e-Commerce Solution!

We did extensive research on an e-commerce platform. Volusion blows competitors out of the water. Easy to use and professional tool.

Pros

Features social media integration, very user friendly, advanced shopping cart features. It is affordable and there are no transaction fees. It is also mobile-friendly! Easy to create a professional, custom design. Special themes cost extra, but even the free themes are great!

Cons

The customer support and support resources are not the most helpful. Sometimes you have to spend some time digging through the support to find your answer. There are also bandwidth overage fees, so make sure to plan for that.

Spectacular experience with Volusion over the last 8 years since opening my online business!

Pros

It does everything I need it to do to run my online business http://www.rtrkidsrugs.com. It was easy to setup & it works perfectly! I like the content management aspect & ease of use! I have been involved in all aspects of setting it up & using the software & I have been well pleased.

Cons

rebuilt our website through volusion website and CRM

having the website and CRM in one place made everything extremely easy and streamlined.

Pros

I liked how the website was connected to the CRM system. Made it easy to go to one place to do everything I needed to do and could really calculate conversions

Cons

It was a little difficult to design the website exactly the way we wanted it to be, tho that may have just been my bosses doing.

Easy to navigate

I like how we I can navigate easily and easy to lean the system

Pros

It's people friendly. It's easy to insert notes and fast learning.

Cons

The system is slow sometimes when there is system maintenance

Volusion eCommerce

I was looking for a new eCommerce platform. I have tried several and had pretty much decided to use Volusion. The software was easy to use, the templates were clean and simple, the overall look was for me. Then, their customer service agents started calling me, emailing me, and texting me NON STOP. I have been receiving communications from them 3-4 time each day since I started my trial period. It is very annoying, disrupted, and time consuming. I am the type of person who will ask for help if I need it. The incessant communications were very disruptive to my schedule. I will not be using this software.

Pros

The software seemed very user friendly. The templates were clean and simple yet eyecatching.

Cons

The software itself did not have any cons for me.

Used them for 15 years and thinking about looking for a replacement

Over all volusion has been good but year after year I see no real innovations. We are using there V1 version and wanted to try there V2 but they are starting from the bottom up and it lack a lot of the v1 basics. I would tell anyone wait till volusion gets V2 done and has all the features before going with it.

Pros

Stable WYSIWYG Editor Easy to embed Youtube videos on product pages Good customizable Order screen

Cons

There is a Lack of standard features that other shopping carts have already or have as a addon. NO reorder button for returning customers. NO full address correction. NO per item shipping restrictions. NO built in blog. Phone order page you can not search for a product and add it you have to enter it all product info. Can not make custom order status. NO UPS iGlobal

Great Product

I have operated 8 different websites out of Volsion and I enjoyed working with the platform. Support was great when needed, and website are clean and functional.

Pros

Volusion is easy to setup, add products, and use. There are some great features, such as CSV imports/exports and built in CRM. For the small business you have many tools at your disposal, and it makes it easy view and process orders.

Cons

The templates are a little difficult to modify, but not impossible.