Volusion Reviews

Volusion

eCommerce website store & shopping cart software

3.78/5 (37 reviews)

Michael Wolff

Volusion has given us a great web site

Reviewed 2019-01-23

We have been using Volusion since 2011. It has never failed us. Never has a customer or a potential customer called with a complaint about any aspect of our web site. We have hundreds of products, and thousands of customers. It is so easy to create new products, new pages, new categories, and arrange them as I wish. Volusion ia also handling our PPC accounts, creating and maintaining ads, with weekly reports. Overall, I would recommend Volusion to anyone looking to create a digital storefront.

Pros
The stability. There's never been an issue with connectivity.

Cons
There are not very many options for offering my customers discounts. Coupon codes are very restricted.

Robert E. Ferguson

Volusion is my only choice for SMB Ecommerce

Reviewed 2016-07-19

I have owned Ecommerce sites since 2004 and Volusion is the best service for my needs. Excellent library of features and very easy to use. Integrates with numerous marketplaces as well.

Pros
- Ability to input COGS (the price I'm paying a manufacturer/supplier). - Ability to automate orders to be sent to vendors - Import/Export functionality works very well - Provide important features like the ability to setup redirects, edit your robots.txt file, etc.

Cons
- Volusion does offer SEO-friendly URLs but the naming convention applied could be cleaner - Volusion's free website templates are good, but very simple. If you would like a more advanced template their custom development fees are costly

Maggie McCombs

Nice starter for e-commerce or small inventory options

Reviewed 2020-05-26

Overall experience was middle of the road. If you have a simpler website this will work okay for you, but for the industry I was in it was not able to handle the complexity of variations in the products for sale. When it came time to create a second website our company went with a different e-commerce platform that could handle it with a better user experience (both consumers buying on the website and administrators/customer service processing orders from the website's back-end dashboards).

Pros
I liked that they offered custom website design services so you know their design will work with optimally with their platform. Even though wait time were sometimes long, technical support also helped you with setup and testing different configurations to make sure it was working correctly or in the way you are hoping it to. The ability to mass download and update product information fields, including shipping, SEO, and pricing using Excel files was a huge plus.

Cons
Features for price differences on different options is too linearly set up, and the options show the user the price difference as (+/-)$0.00 to the base price shown, not the actual final price, which is confusing to many users. It was also difficult to create strict multi-variant pricing rules for products in which there was more than one option that effected final price (e.g. size and color).

Ryan Snell

It's full featured, but has fallen behind to more modern competitors

Reviewed 2018-06-14

Pros
Very nuanced. Product options, shipping options, categories, etc. provide many options for customizing your store without the need for 3rd party integrations for added cost.

Cons
When issues arise, there is no email support, limited phone support and a live chat window (using Intercom) that just doesn't cut it. When a store goes down or has an issue, it's important to know exactly what the status of that issue is, and a live chat that can sometimes take an hour or more for a reply is insufficient. Also, bandwidth costs are VERY expensive and bills can add up quickly for established stores.

Sunny Flowers

Volusion for the Workplace

Reviewed 2019-10-11

Great. It allowed for me to build a sleek and simple trailers site.

Pros
I like Volusion because of how it is set up in the background/Admin area. It is layed out where you can easily find things and keep your website info well organized. I switched to Volusion from Wix, and was able to teach myself how to use it. It allowed for more customizing that Wix did, and the company I work for is currently still using Volusion.

Cons
Sometimes I had to go back in and resave something because it didn't seem to take, but that could have very well been on my computer's end and not at the fault of Volusion.

Sue Faunt

I have been with Volusion for over 10 years and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed 2017-11-21

Pros
Continuous uptime, fast & friendly customer service and tons of features to customize your site. I tried the SEO plan to optimize my site and my organic search is up dramatically, well worth every cent.

Cons
Can be somewhat daunting to get set up, but you'll get it. UI can be a bit confusing, but the Help Center is really easy to find and get all the answers you need.

Anonymous

OK if you aren't looking to do much.

Reviewed 2018-03-30

Pros
It has built in inventory and purchase orders, so you can get away with just using Shipstation for shipping. If you are selling a small assortment of products on your own site only, this might work for you.

Cons
API is an absolute disaster. You can't find an agency to work with the API because it's proprietary, so you're limited to who is already partnered with Volusion. Do not, under any circumstances, use Volusion's native eBay and Amazon integrations. In fact, if you want to list products on a marketplace, it's best to use any other shopping cart. Parent-child products instead of swatch-linked and organized product variations. Inflexible because there are no metafields that you can create. It's either their predefined fields or nothing at all.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Aaron McGuire

I do not recommend using Volusion

Reviewed 2018-05-14

Pros
Exporting data out and importing it back in is pretty easy, and pretty fast, but that is the only Pro I can think of...

Cons
It's not free itself, its a hosted, paid solution. You have very little control of the codebase, which highly interferes with customizations and SEO.

Anonymous

rebuilt our website through volusion website and CRM

Reviewed 2018-04-18

having the website and CRM in one place made everything extremely easy and streamlined.

Pros
I liked how the website was connected to the CRM system. Made it easy to go to one place to do everything I needed to do and could really calculate conversions

Cons
It was a little difficult to design the website exactly the way we wanted it to be, tho that may have just been my bosses doing.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Brien Wilson

Used them for 15 years and thinking about looking for a replacement

Reviewed 2019-11-12

Over all volusion has been good but year after year I see no real innovations. We are using there V1 version and wanted to try there V2 but they are starting from the bottom up and it lack a lot of the v1 basics. I would tell anyone wait till volusion gets V2 done and has all the features before going with it.

Pros
Stable WYSIWYG Editor Easy to embed Youtube videos on product pages Good customizable Order screen

Cons
There is a Lack of standard features that other shopping carts have already or have as a addon. NO reorder button for returning customers. NO full address correction. NO per item shipping restrictions. NO built in blog. Phone order page you can not search for a product and add it you have to enter it all product info. Can not make custom order status. NO UPS iGlobal

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Tanya Beck

In over 10 years with Volusion my overall experience has been fantastic!

Reviewed 2018-06-29

This software has allowed me to run a successful online business for more than 10 years.

Pros
I love everything about Volusion. The software is easy to use and it does everything I need it to do. In my 20+ years in business online I have had a lot of ecommerce carts and nothing even comes close to what Volusion does. Their support is excellent, although at times you do have to wait to speak to customer service, but they always resolve my issues quickly. They have even at times fixed things for me that is not really in their job description. My site was recently redesigned with a new template and it is so much easier to navigate and I have and so many compliments from long time customers. It is hands down the best shopping cart I have used in 20 years. The help files they provide are very helpful and I am able to resolve many issues myself. They are constantly adding new features that make my day to day life easier.

Cons
At this time I can only think of one issue that I wish were different. There are a couple reviews from customers that are inaccurate and unfair. In these cases I like to reach out and type a response. The software allows you to do that but you cannot create spaces between what they have typed and what I type. Not only will it not allow me to start a new paragraph, there is zero space between their response and mine. Although I am a perfectionist and wish I could create additional spaces so they can be read easier, it is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Anonymous

Very robust software but an outdated dashboard

Reviewed 2018-06-08

This site had a lot of features I loved and were automatically included. Multi-level pricing, customer ticketing, ability to receive multiple payments against an invoice. Features that I no longer have on Shopify or have to pay extra for.

Pros
The best thing about Volusion is that many of the features are automatically included in their packages. Unlike Shopify where you have to add other apps to do things you want it to do. We were on Volusion about three years before switching to Shopify and it wasn't our choice to switch.

Cons
It wasn't easy for my staff to learn and the dashboard isn't very user-friendly or aesthetically pleasing like it's competitors. There aren't many free themes that make your site look amazing so you really need to pay for customization unless you know how to do it yourself. Also, downtime. It didn't happen often but when it did, you just have to wait until it comes back up.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Anonymous

Good, but costs build up fast

Reviewed 2019-02-17

It served its purpose early on when I was a small ecommerce store, but I outgrew it much too quickly.

Pros
I liked that it was easy to set up and get going. The user interface was simple and I was able to teach others to use it quickly.

Cons
While there were several small issues with its ability to interact with other services, my primary concern was that the bills just kept skyrocketing. My "usage" was reaching a point I had to find another option because the additional fees each month were astounding. Support was less than helpful of supportive of options to help mitigate the issues. Ultimately I ended up finding another provider.

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Anonymous

Maybe not the best choice, but not a bad one

Reviewed 2018-08-01

It is not bad, but probably you will find better options

Pros
I liked that it is easy to set up a fast and more or less professional looking ecommerce stores. And then sales follow.

Cons
As a customer I felt that they were more about developing their other platform for big companies (mozu) than taking care of updating Volusion. Templated where looking dated, it could not be multilanguages, and I had to pay strong extras to add some basic features. Anycase, it is a good platform, customer service is very attentive and I had good sales results with them.

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Marie Stones

Volusion is good platform for small business.

Reviewed 2018-06-05

Overall it as been an asset to our business.

Pros
It is easy to set up and get started. You can quickly load products via spread sheets and process orders quickly

Cons
It doesn't offer as many integrations as other similar products. Customizing your design is difficult and it is missing some features that would be nice - such as advance reports and coupon functionality.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Kristen Monaghan

All-In-One e-Commerce Solution!

Reviewed 2018-03-20

We did extensive research on an e-commerce platform. Volusion blows competitors out of the water. Easy to use and professional tool.

Pros
Features social media integration, very user friendly, advanced shopping cart features. It is affordable and there are no transaction fees. It is also mobile-friendly! Easy to create a professional, custom design. Special themes cost extra, but even the free themes are great!

Cons
The customer support and support resources are not the most helpful. Sometimes you have to spend some time digging through the support to find your answer. There are also bandwidth overage fees, so make sure to plan for that.

Jeff Cabaniss

Spectacular experience with Volusion over the last 8 years since opening my online business!

Reviewed 2017-12-04

Pros
It does everything I need it to do to run my online business http://www.rtrkidsrugs.com. It was easy to setup & it works perfectly! I like the content management aspect & ease of use! I have been involved in all aspects of setting it up & using the software & I have been well pleased.

MAYRA AGUILAR

Easy to navigate

Reviewed 2019-01-11

I like how we I can navigate easily and easy to lean the system

Pros
It's people friendly. It's easy to insert notes and fast learning.

Cons
The system is slow sometimes when there is system maintenance

Heather Jenkins

Volusion eCommerce

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2019-03-06

I was looking for a new eCommerce platform. I have tried several and had pretty much decided to use Volusion. The software was easy to use, the templates were clean and simple, the overall look was for me. Then, their customer service agents started calling me, emailing me, and texting me NON STOP. I have been receiving communications from them 3-4 time each day since I started my trial period. It is very annoying, disrupted, and time consuming. I am the type of person who will ask for help if I need it. The incessant communications were very disruptive to my schedule. I will not be using this software.

Pros
The software seemed very user friendly. The templates were clean and simple yet eyecatching.

Cons
The software itself did not have any cons for me.

Likelihood to recommend: 1/10

Great Product

Reviewed 2019-05-08

I have operated 8 different websites out of Volsion and I enjoyed working with the platform. Support was great when needed, and website are clean and functional.

Pros
Volusion is easy to setup, add products, and use. There are some great features, such as CSV imports/exports and built in CRM. For the small business you have many tools at your disposal, and it makes it easy view and process orders.

Cons
The templates are a little difficult to modify, but not impossible.

Stephanie Miles

Create an E-Commerce Store

Reviewed 2013-09-17

Small business owners and solo entrepreneurs who aren’t sure where to begin developing an e-commerce outpost can utilize Volusion’s tools to guide them through the entire process. As an A-to-Z e-commerce solution, Volusion offers everything that a business owner could need to sell his or her products online. This includes website design services, credit card processing features, and marketing tools. Volusion’s credit card processing features are especially impressive, given what a headache it can be for a solo entrepreneur to set up a payment processing system on his or her own. Upon joining Volusion, users are encouraged to submit a single application to apply for the option to accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. Merchants can take advantage of direct deposits, and a real-time payment gateway that is exceptionally convenient. As a result, businesses that display the provided “Verified Volusion Merchant” seal on their websites can expect to see increased sales almost immediately.

Pros
The all-in-one system handles every aspect of building an e-commerce store.

Cons
Only merchants with Gold and Platinum plans have API access.

Anonymous

Easy to use ecommerce software with limitations to customization

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-04-09

Modern looking website with a simple, easy checkout

Pros
This software is great if you want a quick solution for a modern looking website with ecommerce capability. Easy to set up, not expensive, modern checkout (single page) and mobile friendly. It is also easy to edit the design with direct access to a HTML editor if you wish, or a WYSIWYG if that is easier for you.

Cons
If you have a lot of inventory, or want to customization the products and design, there are limitations to doing so. Also the web interface for customizing products, designing your site, can take awhile to learn and be slightly buggy. Only one person should be logged in and making changes at a time.

roxy p.

They need a long way to go

Reviewed 2018-02-17

Pros
At first i was excited to hear about volusion, there were compared to shopify..... who ever made that comparison i wonder if they ever even used either system ???? I did not use volusion for very long because with in the first 20 min of singing up i realized they had nothing i needed, there interrogations were like 4 apps, their customer service was great they did try to help me and followed up with me about what i needed from the site. but they just didnt have what i need. (i sell on multiple platforms) if you are usinsing this for a non ECommerce site,i think this may work for you. I do not recommend this for stores with goods/ selling ect.

Cons
I did not like that customer serivice wanted me to tell they what they need to add to their site.. they also said they did have other apps, but they were not online and we could "talk about them" not a fan of that.

Greg H.

Volusion may have been one of the first but its starting to come in last.

Reviewed 2018-08-15

Pros
A good platform to launch a site on with ease.

Cons
There are just too many competitors that do this better than Volusion does.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Faizan Ikram

Volusion Summary

Reviewed 2019-12-31

Its an average software and needs improvements to become as popular as BigCommerce and Shopify.

Pros
- Its easy to use and customization is also very easy. - Its user friendly in building website. - Its less costly than other paid website builders for beginners.

Cons
- While using card payments you have to pay for SSL. - Its not open source that's why customization is limited.