Website Toolbox Logo

Website Toolbox

Intuitive platform to create your own discussion community

Website Toolbox Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.71/10

Reviews by rating

Really pleasant, really good company to work with. Support is great and effective, communication is great.
Excellent customer care, very affordable and really friendly people to deal with. The customer service people are mind blowing good and nothing is a problem.
It is helping us to help each other, answer frequently asked questions for everyone to see and give the opportunity for engagement and to develop best practice.
The issue is that because I use with one team for 6 months and then close it out and then have to open another to use with the next training - it's frustrating for pricing and set up.
I don't like that I have to manually log into my website toolbox account to find the user in question and then ban them.
It sounds cheesy, but I really am struggling to think of one at the moment.

cathie C.

Associate

Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees

Use it a lot!

Transcript

Cathie C.: My name is Cathie and I am a career transition coach and professional development director,...

RG

Rick G.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Great Forums software solution

Allows our clubs to communicate with each other outside our regular meeting locations. Watch club membership can also be controlled through the software from approvals to deletions.

Pros

Website toolbox has been our provider for our Watch Club Forums (350 members) for 7 years and also hosts forums for a local activity club (65 members). Software is easy to setup and functions very well. Company is constantly updating with new features. Downtime has been zero and if you need support they are there quickly and solve issues promptly. Highly recommend this company if you are looking to add forums capabilities to your association or company,

Cons

Major Software changes should be advised before implementation to administrator.

Thanks for your review Rick! It's fantastic that your forum has grown to have so many members! We'll continue to provide you with the excellent support, new features, ease of use, and zero downtime that you've come to expect!

DB

David B.

Education Management, self-employed

Reliable and flexible, with good customer support.

I run a discussion forum connected with a website. I have found the platform to be completely stable, and whenever I have had a technical query it has been quickly resolved.

Pros

Ease of use, and flexibility, offering both Forums and Guestbooks. Very good customer support via online chat and email.

Cons

Limited range of design templates, some a bit dated now.

Hi David! Thanks for your review! I'm glad you loved our support and found Website Toolbox to be easy to use, reliable, and flexible. Please check out the two new themes called Classic and Material that we've launched over the last few months. A while before that we launched the Angela and Modern Elegance themes. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact. All of the new themes have huge design improvements. Definitely take a look! We've also launched the newest and most powerful version of our easy theme editor, which gives you even more control over the appearance of your forum.

MH

Matt H.

Automotive, self-employed

Very limited usability and scope for further development

None

Pros

Not much at all, other than the fact it’s a forum platform ... we inherited the forum and without the abiliry to migrate it - it’s totally useless

Cons

The software is very limited in scope for firther advancement of your forum... it’s like the shopify of forum software.. limited advancement, no ability to integrate skins/theams etc etc compared to great platforms like machine forums... and there simply isn’t any way to migrate the forum to a different platform

Hi Matt, Thanks for your feedback! You can instantly export all of your forum data in the Content -> Export section of your account. You can then migrate to any other forum platform at any time. We're constantly adding new features and functionality. Please see this page for all the recent updates: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/blog/whats-new-504 We provide multiple themes and an easy theme editor for customizing those themes. You can also use CSS to completely customize the themes and even create your own theme. Please see this support article for instructions on how to do that: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/customizing-your-theme-214

sn

sagar n.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Very friendly and efficient support on a robust software for Forum

I use the Forum to share analysis of the stock and market with my followers. This software allows me to do that effortlessly while avoiding other people to submit/share irrelevant topics. The permission levels allow me to monitor/control that. There is an email facility that helps me to keep in touch with my followers.

Pros

Most of the customizations like theme etc. can be done by the user him/herself. No special skill is required. Permission is at a granular level.

Cons

The paid forum functionality is for the "whole forum". It cannot be activated for a selective category.

Hi Sagar, Thanks for the fantastic review! I'm glad that you've loved the customization and permission controls we have. You can set up Paid Access for specific categories instead of the whole forum by going to Settings -> Paid Access -> Permission and changing it to "Specific Categories". You can then select the categories that you'd like to enable Paid Access for.

WD

Wayne D.

Automotive, 51-200 employees

Two Forums

The experience has been good with Website Toolbox is just a shame that Facebook has pretty much done away with forums.

Pros

Very easy to use and looks professional.

Cons

It’s been around for a long time and could stand an update.

Thanks for your feedback Wayne! I'm glad Website Toolbox has been easy to use and looks professional. Definitely do check out our new Classic and Material themes for a fresh and modern look for your forum. We have a new theme called Minimal coming soon, along with others called Classic, Compact, and Lights Out to follow shortly after. We're constantly updating all aspects of the forum and admin area. You can always check here for the latest updates: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/blog/whats-new-504 Facebook is great for short-form comments, but it's not really ideal for long-form discussions, owning your own content, improving SEO, monetizing your community, privacy of your users and data, or customizing the appearance. Forums are still the best!

JW

Julianne W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Excellent Customer Service!

Pros

I appreciate that their customer service team is responsive and helpful - all it takes is an email and they jump on whatever the issue is and get it resolved. They definitely know what they are doing and, unlike other companies, they don't send you endless auto-emails with links to tutorials and unhelpful info -- they jump in and actually help fix the issue.

Cons

This tool meets our needs and I currently don't have any complaints.

CS

Cliff S.

Entertainment, self-employed

Website Toolbox was the only choice for me

I was able to make a forum for my friends and I after struggling for several months trying to figure out BBEdit and other software like that. This was really, really helpful in fixing my problems. It's not without its flaws, but it's good enough for me!

Pros

The ease of use. I don't know much about coding at all, but the instructions and customer service are really helpful. The features were well worth the price after weighing everything; there are perhaps more complete solutions for companies out there, but not much for an individual who just wanted to make a forum.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to add pages to a forum; I wish I could integrate it more fully with my website. Also, letting you only read the newest posts would be nice; not sure if there's a way to easily implement that.

Hi Cliff, Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you've liked our ease of use, customer service, value for the price, and features! Adding custom pages to the forum is a great idea that is currently on our development roadmap. We will add the feature in the near future. In the meantime, please see if this approach works for you: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/adding-a-link-to-the-navigation-menu-616 To...

NS

Nate S.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Easy to use software and packed full of features

The initial set-up was easy and straight forward. It took a bit of time getting use to the software as it doesn't operate in any similar way to previous software I have used. There were some parts ion the setup I really struggled with however I over came these with the help of the excellent customer support.

Pros

No coding knowledge is needed to be able to get set up and running. The ability for users to access the forum via Facebook login has been well received from our test users and we believe it has reduced the amount of users who abandon us during the signup process.

Cons

Some features were tricky to set up. I found the difference between embedding or using an app wasn't very clear. Couldn't see the advantages from one over the other nor which one had actually been executed in the first instance. Also some features no longer work, such as embedding the forum into a Facebook page state tab as Facebook have changed some of their features. The tutorials need to be updated to reflect this.

Thanks for your feedback Nate! I'm glad the forum has been easy to set up and that Facebook login has been well received! We're investigating the feedback you provided regarding embedding the forum into Facebook and the distinction between app vs embedding. We'll definitely update our documentation if needed. Thanks!

NH

Neil H.

E-Learning, self-employed

Great forum system, great pricing, outstanding support

Pros

Easy to set up, everything works as expected, easy to customise. Customer support was 24x7 via livechat, very helpful and always gave right answer; dev team also implemented an improvement I suggested (ability to upload .ico files as favicons) within days of me suggesting it.

Cons

Threaded replies would be invaluable, also proper @mentions, and proper Tags support.

Thanks for your excellent feedback Neil! We do have user mentions support already. While we currently have threaded replies by using quotes, we'll be adding even more robust support very soon. Tagging is a great suggestion that's also on our short-term development roadmap.

Higher Education, self-employed

Looks great but many implementation issues

Not great! This has now been several months and the forum has not been fully utilised by our members.

Pros

We chose this because we wanted an easy to use, economical forum for our members and one which could integrate with our current website. We undertook lots of testing before launch and spent a long time setting it up - this was pretty easy to do. Tester feedback from members was positive.

Cons

Since paying for single sign-on we have had multiple issues with members not being able to access the forum. Website Toolbox have told me that the issue has been solved, and then it happens again. They clearly do not know what the problem is, and it is still not resolved.

Thanks for your review. The Safari browser recently changed their third-party cookie policy, which caused some issues with single sign on in certain cases. We've investigated and found a solution to make it work smoothly in Safari. Please reach out to customer support if you're still facing any issue with single sign on, and we'll be glad to fix it right away.

DC

David C.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Embedded discussions in e-learning packages

A little hard to get used to the admin vs user sites but ok after a while.

Pros

It was perhaps the only product out there I am aware that allows you to embed a forum discussion into a e-learning SCORMED package. There are issues doing this with other discussion engines from MS, Google, etc. I want to embed the discussion within the online lesson flow, not be dragged out to a full discussion engine.

Cons

Threaded discussions are not possible. I also with it could support iFrames .

Thanks for your feedback David! I'm glad the ability to embed the forum really helped you! Posting iframes is restricted because it is not secure. There are many attacks which can be launched by malicious users posting iframes. However, as an administrator, you are allowed to post iframes. If your users want to post some specific content that uses an iframe, please do let us know and we can check if there is a workaround that could allow that to happen. Great suggestion regarding threaded discussions. We're planning to add that feature in the near future.

DM

Don M.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Great Forum

I use my forum as a support service for my non-fiction how-to books. I use to run online classes using Moodle. But it was technically cumbersome. If I wasn't semi-retired, I would definitely explore the possibility of using a forum from this service for paid online classes.

Pros

I have owned 2 Yahoo Groups for a good number of years. But I am now moving my discussion groups to this service. The tech support is great and the features are far superior to what Yahoo offers. I like having the ability to exclude advertising which I find very distracting from the purpose of my forum.

Cons

I can't think of a thing that this service does not offer that I need.

Thanks for your wonderful comments Don!

RG

Ruth G.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Find the right fit

Good integration, limited features, support response is slow.

Pros

We like how it integrates into our website. Modern interface templates to choose from is a plus. It’s simplicity makes it easy to use from the members stand point. Being able to back up/archive the forum to our own servers was a great must have for us.

Cons

The primary moderators of our forum have noted several Interactive features lacking. We use the software to manage construction projects. Our needs have out grown the abilities of this software. We will have to use something different for the next project.

Thanks for your review Ruth! We have live chat and phone support if you ever need immediate responses to your questions or concerns. Please contact us and let us know what features your moderators are interested in. We are constantly adding new features based on customer feedback!

MC

Melissa C.

Religious Institutions, self-employed

Good basic forum function for my site

It a helpful, basic tool that improves the online classes I offer without adding a lot of costs.

Pros

Is tool enables my students to connect with me and with each other in one location, cutting down the number of emails associated with online classes and making the classes a more enjoyable and rich experience.

Cons

It is difficult to customize the look and feel of the forum, the way the topics are organized and presented on the page. It is not possible to generate a share a link to just one reply or one topic, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your review Melissa! I'm surprised that you you found it difficult to customize the look and feel of the forum. We have many different themes to choose from. The themes have a built-in theme editor with live preview functionality and the ability to set your logo, header image, primary and secondary colors, announcement, custom CSS, etc. I'm not aware of any other forum builder that has such a great theme editor. If you need any custom design changes, just let us know and our designers will be glad to make some changes for you. You can share a post by following these instructions: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/sharing-a-post-840 Have a fantastic day!

JP

Josh P.

Industrial Automation, 1-10 employees

Very impressed

Great!

Pros

Super easy to setup and embed onto our Squarespace. We had some issues with connecting the domain, but [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in support were exceptionally responsive and helpful - they found the root cause and fixed it within hours of me reaching out. And, turns out, it was a Google Chrome update issue not a Website Toolbox issue. Overall, very impressed!

Cons

There are lower priced options in the market, but so far I see no reason to switch - especially with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] level of service.

SH

Steven H.

Museums and Institutions, self-employed

Pros

The speed with which it is set up. The access to chat support is one of the reasons I am still here

Cons

Lack of self-produced themes Icon issues EVERY update.

Hi Steven, I'm glad to hear that you've loved our chat support and speedy set up! Please email me details regarding how you'd like to produce your own theme. Is that via writing all the CSS from scratch, or do you envision a different process? Your feedback will help us understand your needs better so that we can build the right thing. Also let me know what icon issue you're facing during updates and I'll be glad to look further into that for you.

ML

Mark L.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Great forum software for small businesses

The Website Toolbox forum provides access for our users to discuss clinical issues and questions pertaining to our services.

Pros

Website Toolbox provides a long list of features for their forum software at a great price. Customer support is always quick to assist if we have any questions.

Cons

Would like more options for color/theme of forum.

Hi Mark! Thanks for your flattering review! Please check out our new themes called Classic, Playtime, Material, Angela, and Modern Elegance that we've launched over the last few months. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact. We recent launched the newest and most powerful version of our easy theme editor, which gives you even more control over the appearance of your forum.

II

Ian I.

Financial Services, self-employed

Excellent service and product

Pros

The software does everything needed and is a 10 out of 10. But where it really shines is when you have an issue or question and you need to contact support. They are always extremely courteous, helpful and do their best to assist you. That makes it an 11 out of 10! Highly recommended.

Cons

I am hoping that they change the format of the emails so that they have a summary/index at the top which makes it easier to use like competitors do.

Hi Ian, Thanks for your amazing 11 out of 10 review! I'm glad you've loved our support team. :) We've recorded your feedback and are considering it for future revisions.

PL

Peter L.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Highly recommended

Customisation, API's.

Pros

Support, variety of features, very well documented API's

Cons

1/ Help system is located in a window that cannot be detached from the current working area 2/ Would recommend clearer inteface for uninitiated (I expect issues here for moderators).

TW

Tobias W.

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

Easy to integrate system

We have been using Website Toolbox for nearly two years now. It was easy to integrate and we have are super happy so far.

Pros

It is easy to integrate and to customize and it brings a wide range fo features.

Cons

Besides integrating it easily, it has a not so easy to use interface. A huge range of funcionality which is difficult to explore.

Online Media, self-employed

Easy to use, quick setup, affordable

I have been using Website Toolbox for 4-5 years and have been very happy with it. The few times I needed customer service, they were responsive and fixed the issue. I highly recommend this software and would make the same decision to use it again.

Pros

I love how quick and easy it was to setup my private member site using Website Toolbox. I simply could not believe it after I wasted a lot of time trying various plugins for my WordPress site.

Cons

I would love to see Website Toolbox integrate additional payment gateways and options for paid memberships.

KM

Karen M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Easy to use, but needs better appearance

Website Toolbox allowed me to easily create a forum on my website and has served it's purpose. I will continue to use it, but I do wish it had a better overall appearance.

Pros

Website toolbox is easy to use and setup.

Cons

The appearance needs updating. It lacks visual appeal.

Hi Karen, Thanks for your review! I'm glad you found Website Toolbox to be easy to use and set up. Please check out the two new themes called Classic and Material that we've launched over the last few months. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact. Next week we'll also be launching the newest and most powerful version of our easy theme editor, which gives you even more control over the appearance of your forum.

DS

Daiana S.

Apparel & Fashion, self-employed

Facilitated

Website came to make our lives easier, not only for course vendors but for students.

Pros

Website toolbox it has a thousand and one utilities

Cons

So far I have nothing to say just thank you

DW

Dianne W.

Design, self-employed

Website Toolbox User

Overall, the product delivered what my client needed in a forum. They are pleased.

Pros

-- Easy setup -- Easy to understand how components work -- Most features I wanted were included -- Interface was easy to customize -- Customer support was responsive -- Online hosting -- Security

Cons

-- Couldn't customize some of the core terminology -- Couldn't see where to customize using CSS -- Wish I had more control over the CSS

Hi Dianne! Thanks for the review! It's always great to hear that Website Toolbox was easy to set up, understand, and customize! It's great that the features, security, and customer support team have been what you're looking for. Please refer to these support articles for information on how to customize and add CSS: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/?q=css

Andy B.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

East to setup and manage

Using it for a small,club site. Great for meeting up and keeping everyone up to date. Much easier than lots of Stick posts in Facebook

Pros

Simple to get up and running. Easy to categorise different areas

Cons

For a small group with no annual subs, on-going costs

Thanks for your review Andy. It's great to hear that you've found Website Toolbox to be easy to set up and manage over the last 2 years!