Final Draft Logo

Software for creating, editing, and sharing script drafts

Final Draft Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.93/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

lucidspark
frameable-whiteboard

It is more expensive than other screenwriting software, but you get what you pay for. It is the industry standard and the only thing you need besides a laptop to pursue a screenwriting career.

Gerald W.

Scriptwriter

Final Draft User Review

Transcript

Gerald W.: My name is Gerald. I'm a script writer. I give Final Draft a four rating. And for more reviews,...

Evelyn S.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Best collaborative writing

I have used Final Draft as a student and then on some companies where I worked. On my new job this is the software we use for every script and I find it so comfortable and easy to use and to send the new versions. Is great to collaborate specially when developing tv scripts, I like the option to track the changes and the beat cards.

Pros

Final Draft is the best option when you are a professional writer. Even there are other softwares Final Draft is the one if you are working on the film or tv industry as most proffesionals and producers tend to use this one. The new version is great and the options to write along a colleague and see changes on real time is what I love the most.

Cons

I think is a little expensive for the ones that are just starting. Is not that much intuitive you need to learn trough the practice, but anyways there are plenty of tutorials on their site

PT

Paul T.

Essential Software

I’ve had a good time using it as I sold a script. Wouldn’t have been possible without it.

Pros

Absolutely essential for screenwriting. So once I made the leap and spent the money ($200) it was incredibly easy to write my script. The one time I needed support it was personal and solved my problem

Cons

Just a bit of a learning curve with not much instruction. You have to kind of intuitively figure it out

TL

Trey L.

Used monthly for 2+ years

The biggest brand, but not the greatest value

I loved what I accomplished with it. Seeing the scripts and really getting a knack for the craft that brought them to life. I was unfortunately rubbed the wrong way by the way my script fell apart and being told the only way to save my work was to buy the incredibly expensive, new version of the software. This led me to a much more cost-effective alternative that I have been incredibly happy with since.

Pros

There was an incredible thrill seeing a software that easily and smoothly formatted my words into industry standard screenplays -- ESPECIALLY after having done it for quite some time manually in a more commonly used word processor. The ease of use and the quality of the final document was a true thrill when I was beginning my career.

Cons

The list is long. Numerous features never worked for reasons that as far as I can tell were due to the compatibility of different software versions. While that might sound reasonable, the updates were frequent and always cost substantial amounts of money (for just an update!). This led to several collaborators having a different version of Final Draft that couldn't communicate with each other. While...

JF

Juan F.

Outsourcing/Offshoring, 1,001-5,000 employees

The Pro way to Go

I use Final Draft to work with some productions, especially when having a big budget and team. I love that I can work my preproduction with ease, using reports, production summaries, script breakdowns, etc.

Pros

My favorite feature is the ability to make production reports.

Cons

I find it expensive over other software when working on low-budget productions.

RI

Rabee I.

Entertainment, 5,001-10,000 employees

The only writing software you need

Overall, I would not make a switch to another software. I have tried a couple of free writing software, and we have to pay about $100 or sometimes a little more for Final Draft but it is the best software out there and makes our life very easy without us having to worry about anything.

Pros

I have tried a couple of screenwriting software, but this is pretty much the industry standard, and for a good reason. The Final Draft allows you to just begin writing as soon as you open it without us having to worry about the format. Not to mention the other features like notes taking and working with different drafts of the same scripts is extremely easy. A very user-friendly software.

Cons

In some of the older versions, the ability to collaborate with other writers to work on the same project together is not very possible. However, they did change that in the recently updated versions. Sometimes, we are constantly required to update in order to enjoy the new features in the updated versions, which can be sometimes very costly. But if we just want a standard writing software that is used industry-wise, then Final Draft does the job very well.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Once the standard for screenwriting, but now...

I find Final Draft fairly easy to use, but given that there are competitors out there that do the same things at a fraction of the cost of Final Draft make it hard to justify purchasing this software

Pros

Final Draft offers ease in writing scripts without having to worry about formatting.

Cons

It’s overpriced, for starters. It’s distinguishing features from comparable competitors aren’t really game changing features, especially in this day and age. For example, it’s collaboration tools for writing partners just isn’t all that compelling when compared to other similar offerings. Having features like this integrated isn’t really a plus here.

Dan C.

Motion Pictures and Film, 201-500 employees

Final Draft is the loaded with features for scriptwriting and for moving into production

Final Draft is the industry standard for a reason. No plans to change now.

Pros

Final Draft does all of the things it claims to do. It makes screenwriting easy and relatively automatic, once you learn the interface and keyboard shortcuts. It is very deep with tools to help creativity (beat boards, etc), formatting (formatting checkups before printing are a great last-step tool), and organization. Versioning is a must in screenwriting, and FD has a decent scheme for that. The ability to use the Navigator to search by character, scene, and notes is killer. And the REPORTS section is wonderful, with breakdowns by character, dialogue, scenes, etc.

Cons

Volume licensing can be a little cumbersome. FD uses a "customer number" system with annual renewals that, for us, at least, have often come at odd times and with a bit of a process if someone is moving from one computer to another, or moving a license from one user to another.

BH

Bryn H.

Streamlined Imagination at Your Fingertips

Used this personally in film school and then professionally for plays, screenplays, and comics.

Pros

The ease of use and non-existent learning curve of this software makes someone getting into play writing or screenwriting feel entirely comfortable. The intuitive functionality of this software makes writing an absolute dream. When on a roll, having your muse screaming in your ear, it will often be hard to keep up but shortcuts and keystrokes of the software can match any speed serendipity.

Cons

You pay for what you get and that carries with it a high price tag whereby upgrades to newer software isn't included. My advice is to spend money on a community college film/tv writing course and then use that to get an education discount on Final Draft by linking the school email address to your software registration. You will break even with price and have more of a reason to write now that you're forced to in a class.

MF

Margaret F.

Final Draft

Pros

I love this software. I feel like a expert at it since I use it everyday. It’s industry standard and is easy to use. From beat boards to revision mode, this software has endless uses.

Cons

Sometimes when working with the program, leaving revision mode, or dual dialogue, the program freezes and I have to shut it down. I make sure to save and save often, because the software though great, sometimes feels like it forgets it’s build to do what I’m asking it to do.

GZ

Gregory Z.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Industry standard

Pros

This product is the standard. If you want to work in the business take the time and learn this product inside and out.

Cons

I would like the tagging and scheduling export feature to improve a lot.

RE

Ryan E.

Computer Software, self-employed

Final Draft Review

I’ve been using Final Draft for over 15 years. I’m extremely comfortable with using this product to a fault that I’m hesitant to switch, even though there are other products that are significantly lower in cost. I feel the products are becoming less consistent and more buggy and being rushed to newer versions without fixing the issues that currently exist and specifically when using the product on a Windows computer.

Pros

I like the software, because it takes very little time to learn, and you can be off and writing, and no time at all. Plus it is the industry standard ScreenWriting software.

Cons

I think the cost does not justify the use any longer. There are several free, if not considerably lower costing screen writing software products that are available on the market today

VP

Vanessa P.

Very Satisfied

I use Final Draft every day and like that their website has a lot of tutorials for how to navigate new features.

Pros

Final Draft 12 has a lot of great new features and learning tools that are easy to use. Importing or converting files from older versions is much better and there are more tools for outlining, etc. It also has a template for single-cam scripts rather than calling them multi-cam or one-hour.

Cons

The price is a bit too high and it could have better "Text" templates.

MB

Mack B.

Screenwriting Made Easy

My overall experience has been great because at the end of the day, it's how well you write, and what you can put out, that wins over the customer service and software issues. I find that once I'm on a plan, Final Draft is the go-to software for screenwriting, and it lasts for some time.

Pros

I liked its ease of use most, thanks to a friendly user interface and fill-in-the-blank feature that finishes headers and character names for you. I also like the layout in that it emphasizes the white on the page, and subconsciously I believe that's a good indicator to the writer to write less, not more. Final Draft also has a number of ancillary features such as notes or trackers to help you progress, which, while not entirely necessary, is always a good thing to have in the backpocket when writing.

Cons

I did not like the customer service and subscription plan for Final Draft. It's hard to get a hold of them--at least it was for me--or get their help in applying older versions of Final Draft that were already paid for to new computers. Final Draft's software updates at too fast a rate for me to keep up and I don't appreciate paying for new plans or adjusting old ones every time they do.

Buggy on Windows machines

Despite the weird issues, I'll keep using it. Not only will I use it, I plan to buy an imac mini when I have the money so I can use it without all the bug issues. Overall it's good software, just wish they'd work out the issues on Windows.

Pros

It's the industry standard so there are a lot of people to ask for help when I get stuck. There are also a lot of videos online.

Cons

It can be very buggy on windows. Apparently these issues don't happen on the Mac version. For instance, if my friend edits a FD file while using two monitors and sends it to me, the file won't show up because it's on a second monitor that doesn't exist. Talk about a weird bug!

GG

Gentian G.

Design, 11-50 employees

The best tool for screenwriters

When I write in Final Draft, things become easy, I go with the flow of my thoughts, having fantastic support from a consolidated program, which makes writing a breeze.

Pros

Very easy to use and automated formatting is superb. You have to focus on creating. It’s Final Draft that takes care of the rest. It is the industry represented in words

Cons

The main difficulty resides in using special letters in other languages than English. For instance, the letter “ë” undergoes several modifying tools to be implemented. Even then, it’s only in uppercase.

SC

Samuel C.

Broadcast Media, self-employed

FINAL DRAFT REVIEW

All in all it is the best writing app I have used so far. It's flexible and user friendly interface makes it a very good software.

Pros

Features on final draft are very easy to use. When I first purchased the software it took me less than a day to be conversant with it and its features. Also it allows you to import a screenplay that was typed with another app in a text form. Lastly it gives you the flexibility to work on two or more projects at a time and that helps in revision a project or adaptation.

Cons

However, what I dont like is the fact that it is not available on google play store. It is although available on IOS. Also, the software is expensive. Lastly, it work better on pc's with good specs.

Anthony P.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Industry standard, but lots of room for growth

Pros

It has literally everything one needs for film production from outlining to postproduction.

Cons

For a lot of people, it's super buggy and crashes regularly.

YT

Yahia T.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

yahiathebestmanag@gmail.com

Pros

Helps you teach screenwriting .It is easy to use and provides importing pdf files very easily with decoding the words inside it and it contains all the terms of the screenwriter

Cons

Not all terms written by a screenwriter are available

AT

Allan T.

Needs a Grammarly attachment

Pros

Cons

Needs to have Grammarly type abilities to correct and suggest language that improves final product for final Draft.

MW

Monica W.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

My Final Draft Review

There are many different professional templates (for television, novel, musical theatre, etc.) that can be used depending on the need. Overall it's a great writing app.

Pros

Final Draft is easy to use, it's a great writing app. It automatically fills in the names of characters, which makes things go along smoothly. I like the many different templates to use.

Cons

It's a little expensive. The price of the software is a little high, but it can be installed on two computers which makes collaboration possible. The other issue is the work has to be saved quite frequently.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Not for me

It frustrated me to no end. I did not find it very user friendly in the slightest and definitely could not justify the cost based on my experiences with it.

Pros

Honestly, I can't really think of anything that I truly liked about the software. Maybe the board beats section?

Cons

It was confusing to me to figure out how to use it. I've heard of people using it for books as well as screen scripts so I was hoping it would work for what I needed instead I wanted to beat my head through a wall trying to figure out the simplest tasks.

PJ

Pat J.

Used monthly for 2+ years

To me it’s the only show in town!

Pros

It’s well known and good. It’s user friendly and somewhat intuitive.

Cons

Cost. Not sure all the “newer versions” are worth the $.

Broadcast Media, 10,001+ employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

The best, easiest screenwriting software

Pros

I love Final Draft. Even a novice can begin writing a screenplay almost immediately thanks to Final Draft's intuitive features and ease of use. A must for anyone that wants to try his or her hand at screenwriting.

Cons

It's a little pricey, but worth it if you're going to be a regular user.

Skyler B.

Best screenwriting software - The Industry Standard

Pros

Final Draft is easy to use with no learning curve. You can get started screenwriting within minutes. The software is highly intuitive, so that you can focus on your story, rather than wasting time with formatting. Shortcuts allow you to remain the flow once inspiration strikes. The customer service experience is exceptional and the best I have ever dealt with for any software.

MJ

Mike J.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Final Draft is the best screenwriting program - if it's within your budget.

I love using Final Draft. Unfortunately I don't use it enough to validate spending the money for it but it is definitely the best screenwriting program on the market.

Pros

The flawless integration and various exports are the best features. This program makes it so easy to keep tracking of ideas and completed acts.

Cons

The price is least attractive thing here as the program itself works great.