Deque Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.07/10

Reviews by rating

Super easy to set up and use. UI of Accessibility pane within Storybook is really nice.
No different than any other new software that you might have to learn to use.
None, but I am being forced to write something.

Banking, 10,001+ employees

Becoming an Accessibility Pro with Deque

Pros

Our department creates documents in MS office suite and Adobe CC. I'm currently working my way through the Deque University courses for Document Accessibility.Courses are laid out in bite-sized engaging videos with captioning. Cool features: it keeps my place when I leave off on a lesson, and issues certificates on completion. There are also training units for IAAP Certification!Our entire team uses the free Colour Contrast Analyser too.

Cons

I need to explore more of the tools to answer this. I have not found any cons.

JK

Jessica K.

Higher Education, 10,001+ employees

Web accessibility for all

I love Deque - we utilize them for accessibility training on campus. Not only do they have a lot of knowledge they share in their trainings, but the amount of FREE virtual trainings that are offered is impressive. I have been participating in many of these and I always take away some good nugget of information. Their presenters are very responsive and active during the presentations but also after the fact in their slack channel. It's nice to have a knowledgeable community available when you aren't quite sure or need to knock and idea around. :)

Pros

We recently purchased the Axe Dev Pro Tools to run audits and remediate our web properties within our department. The browser extension itself makes it so simple to run through an audit and minimal technical understanding of accessibility is necessary - therefore the testing can easily be completed by student staff or other non-technical partners and then handed off to technical staff to do the remediations. Beyond the ease of use, the ability to save reports has helped us supply necessary metrics to compliance teams.

Cons

There is a slight learning curve when you first use the browser extension for tests. It was not prohibitive by any means and the benefits far outweigh the time spent to learn. No different than any other new software that you might have to learn to use.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Deque Review

Pros

Guided testing feature plus automated testing.

Cons

Issues exporting could be better, along with a dashboard interface for saved reports.

TT

Tina T.

Insurance, 201-500 employees

Deque's Axe Suite of Tools

Our team has used a handful of Deque's tools such as Axe Auditor, Monitor for scanning and monitoring websites , and Axe Devtools (both browser extension and within the dev CI/CD pipeline).

Pros

Auditor - very comprehensive and detailed write-up of WCAG test cases ; easy for non-accessibility folks to perform a11y testing to catch low-hanging fruits Monitor - easy to set up; easy to produce accessibility reports

Cons

Auditor - not compatible with JIRA.. not able to export bugs found to JIRA which our projects use for bug tracking ; would be nice to get specific test cases for mobile and PDFMonitor - many false positives or "needs review".. hopefully AI technology will improve to eliminate need for human verification ; able to scan SPA or multistep flows but requires someone who is technical.. hopefully in future, there will be easier option for non-technical folks to set up SPA/multistep pages; only Axe Devtools - does not support Salesforce platform

Thank you for your review. We completely understand the need to be able to get the issues into JIRA. At the moment, axe Products allow you to export the issues into csv format that can be imported into your JIRA instance through JIRA's issue upload function. Our teams are exploring other options. We are constantly improving our AI capabilities to provide better guidance on items that are currently marked as 'Needs Review'. If you are finding any false positives, please let us know via a message to the helpdesk for us to address.

ML

Meg L.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Deque knows their Accessibility

Deque is an outstanding company. They understand web accessibility and are very supportive with the communities offering so much. I can't speak enough about AxeCon, they are amazing.

Pros

love that the Axe product is available for free. There's so much you can do with it. I had the opportunity for a year to use the paid version and would like to again, but it hard selling management when they don't have the budget. So I make do with the free extension.

Cons

Would be really nice if there was some sort of app in the mobile world that could test mobile apps like the web extension does for web applications.

Thanks so much Meg for your kind words and feedback. Axe DevTools does include native mobile testing tools as well. This is only available as a paid product today.

DP

Deneb P.

Internet, 1-10 employees

Great tool for measuring accessibility of websites

I love using DevTools Pro to audit the accessibility of websites. It just works so well as a starting place, and with the guided audits in Pro, it works well as an ending place, too!

Pros

It's so easy to use it to find accessibility problems, and does such a thorough job, at least for starters. I also like that the tool itself links to Deque's pages about how to remediate the issues. And with a Pro account you can even link to a page with a screenshot of the problem element along with the specific code of the site. Splendid!

Cons

The screenshot functionality is a little buggy, or at least has been from time to time .

'Salutes' Thanks for your kind words Captain and thank you for practicing accessibility. 'Salutes'

MP

Margarida P.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

We love Deque!

Web Accessibility was the reason we use Deque.

Pros

We needed software that could help us achieve accessibility. We tested a few and Deque came up on top each time. It was so easy to use and intuitive. It helped me with manual and technical tasks. I have since recommended this software to other departments in my company and they are now using Deque Axe. Such a great product.

Cons

We purchased this product for the web team (4 licenses). Every one on the team loved the product and we didn't find anything that didn't work well.

SM

Stephanie M.

Insurance, 10,001+ employees

Turned Pro with Axe DevTools Pro

Pros

This tool is so impactful to my work and mission as a champion for a11y. From a11y standards picked up, to keyboard navigation, this tool has helped not only my work but those I influenced with the use of this tool. Even the way we can integrate this automation testing into our projects internal application through a few yaml file and wdio configs. Also the tips the tool gives you when it lets you know of a found a11y issue, it lets you not just know where to find the issue it picked up but also the standard tied to it, a link to learn more, and code examples on how you can go about fixing it.

Cons

I feel like the only issues I can think of that I have had back as someone new using this for the first time, was not knowing all the functionality this tool can offer. But Deque offers a ton of insight through articles and hosting talks to help you learn more.

NW

Nova W.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Great for training and quick scanning

Pretty good minus what I mentioned above.

Pros

I love that they have a whole on-demand academy for training and prepping for certificate exams. I also like that their axe scan tool is so easy that we could have our PMs and UXers run the scans and it was really clear what we needed to fix and what was and was not in complpiance.

Cons

for the first year I had worked with Deque I had a hard time getting someone to work with me to see if we could come up with a solution for our enterprise QA automation, but it took a while to get someone to call me back, and also when I did talk to someone who I believe to be the son of the founder, we determined they didn't have what they needed. After I signed a deal with Level Access a year later they started hard selling me on their automated services, which was too late. SO that was a bummer cause I liked Deque. Level Access has been great too.

Kimberly B.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great Service for learning. Great dev tools with VS Code Extension.

I'm very glad for this site and its services. It prepared me well for two IAAP exams. It provides great resources. I attended one of the conferences it sponsored and met a great community with it. We use the VS Code extension at work often.

Pros

I learned a ton from the lesson planners. The way lessons were grouped was very helpful. I also appreciated how it kept track of my progress. They were organized in a way that makes it easy to also use the lessons as a reference. The VS Code extension is also very helpful.

Cons

It would be nice if the VS Code extension offered more features. Would also be nice if there were configuration options.

VS

Valorie S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 10,001+ employees

Deque tools useful

The customer server is terrific! Training is high quality!

Pros

Products are easy to install and use. Use of the rule set across products makes the tools from the free browser add-on, to the automated tool consistent in the results being provided.

Cons

It's not a problem with the software. Getting enterprise-wide adoption is a bear.

DD

Daniel D.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Deque Storybook integration

As an accessibility focused engineer, I've been using Deque's tools for years, they are the standard by which other tools are compared.

Pros

Cons

Would love to be able to integrate better with Interaction testing in Storybook.

MP

Matthew P.

Public Safety, 1,001-5,000 employees

Deque makes accessibility easier for large websites

Pros

Deque's axe dev tools browser extension makes finding accessibility issues very easy. When an issue is discovered on your page, Deque provides CSS highlighting to identify the problematic element, and when you don't know how to fix the accessibility issue, their dev tools provide a Deque link describing the issue and potential fixes.

Cons

Deque's dev tools are not able to identify the entire range of accessibility issue. Most results are related to color contrast of surrounding elements or accessibility attributes on HTML buttons and other elements. I've also noticed that their dev tools can sometimes falsely flag an a11y issue.

Thanks so much for your feedback Matthew. We're very committed to eliminating false positive results. If you believe you have encountered one, please submit an issue so we can resolve it: https://github.com/dequelabs/axe-core/issues

ST

Shyam T.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Great product

Pros

Offer web accessibility to meet WCAG standards compliance.

Cons

Not all error are true, there is chance are false positive

Thanks so much for your feedback Shyam. We're very committed to eliminating false positive results. If you believe you have encountered one, please submit an issue so we can resolve it: https://github.com/dequelabs/axe-core/issues

TS

Travis S.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

A must-use tool in your toolbox

We've used the dev tools extension for several years now as part of our standard development process. It's also become a trusted source of input for accessibility audits. The the Axe library also is very useful for creating specialized tools and processes, and I'm very thankful that it exists!

Pros

The dev tools extension is a great product and the paid version adds some very useful features for teams, as well as the guided testing options. The latter are great for helping less experienced folks understand some of the nuances of accessibility testing as well.

Cons

The dev tools UI could be a bit more polished, and doesn't do a great job of calling attention to more critical issues.

MK

Maria K.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

axe DevTools is a must-have in your web accessibility toolkit

Deque's tooling is some of the best available for developer enablement of accessibility auditing and remediation.

Pros

The DevTools chrome extension makes automated accessibility testing super streamlined. Integrating directly with DevTools means developers easily know where to look to run tests and find issues. I love the ability to highlight and scroll directly to elements causing issues on the page. The Pro version's Intelligent Guided Tests are a great way to learn manual accessibility testing techniques!

Cons

I would love to see more of the Pro features become available in the Free version. Some ability to run Intelligent Guided Tests (or perhaps Guided Tests without the Intelligence) would be amazing to see available for free to all web devs.

SG

Sonja G.

Food & Beverages, 10,001+ employees

Great Accessibility Tool

Pros

This tool is easy to use and uses plain language

Cons

I do not have any suggested improvements at this time.

NC

Nicole C.

E-Learning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great for software engineering WCAG 2.1AA compliance

Pros

Having the pro license, it is very easy to scan the individual sections of the page that I am responsible for ensuring they are WCAG compliant. I like that I can easily see what is flagged and also see suggestions for how to improve it.

Cons

It is a challenge for users who do not have the pro license and are using the free extension to sift through hundreds of errors to find those that apply to them.

TK

Tushar K.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

A good software to identify accessibility issues (via browser plugin)

Overall, a good software, but could be better

Pros

- Axe devtools can be used through the browser plugin (I use the one that is available for Google Chrome) - These devtools can identify any existing a11y (accessibility) issues with the current page or part of the current page. Example of such issue is a missing aria-label on a button in the page, or lack of contrast between text and its background color - This tool is handy when we work on a new feature on the UI, and want to know if our code is generating an accessibility issue. This will generate a report for you to look at all the accessibility issues in the page/part of the page, along with suggestions hinting at how to fix those issues

Cons

- Without subscribing for the paid version, you cannot scan part of the page (you can scan the entire page though). This is a little less helpful in a situation when part of the page is owned by a different team and that part already has existing a11y issues - It could be difficult to pinpoint exactly which element the a11y issue is coming from, because there is a lack of visual hint regarding the list of issues and the place where the relevant template element is

Thanks for the feedback Tushar

CW

Courtney W.

Financial Services, 10,001+ employees

Essential tool for digital design

Pros

Deque is the most thorough reference guide when it comes to researching accessibility best-practices.

Cons

I don’t have enough time to read more of it.

HM

Hiral M.

Financial Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Excellent suite of products for accessibility management

The customer support team is the best and that has stood out along with versatile features and affordability

Pros

I use more than one tools offered by Deque; and for all of them, one common thing is ease of use, wide variety of features for that tool and comparatively not so pricey

Cons

Just like any other product, Deque products are still work in progress so it may not satisfy all of your requirement but they are still best option available in the market

KT

Kelly T.

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Clear structure and writing style

Pros

I used Deque for accessibility training. I like that it has lots of structure so if I'm in a hurry I can reference one section to answer a question. It is clearly written and has lots of links if I want to check source material in more detail. I also really like the 1-pager reference sheets and wish there were more of them available to download so I can have a reminder even after I complete the full course.

Cons

It would be great if Deque would bookmark my progress more clearly so I could go back to where I left off, especially since the format does make it easy to pick up and put down the training as time allows. It would be great if there was a straightforward list of the courses I've taken as right now the navigation splits them up by certification.

nw

na w.

Fund-Raising, 201-500 employees

Deque review

Pros

wholistic support, cutting edge, easy to use

Cons

None, but I am being forced to write something

MN

Michael N.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Provides exactly what I need without absurdly expensive extras.

Accessibility is a weird space with many players that simply can't deliver on promises. Deque produces the open-source engine many other systems use. Other providers claim to solve problems that are too complicated to be automated away. Deque instead shows you how to resolve issues at the source. I trust the results I get from Deque, and know that solving issues with this tool provides a better long-term result.

Pros

Provides trustworthy accessibility information at its most up-to-date. Easy to use, provides both a useful summary for describing issues to others, and detailed technical information for implementation. Has a reasonable pricing model that doesn't assume I'm an enterprise if I'm a developer.

Cons

Chrome is required; doesn't work within other browsers which can somewhat limit browser testing.

AG

Adrienne G.

Design, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Easy to use, even for a newbie

Pros

I saw this software demonstrated at an online accessibility conference and purchased it when I was asked by a friend to do a site audit for her client. The features have continued to improve and be easier to use and more tailored to individual situations.

Cons

I haven't had enough experience using this software to know the limitations, nor do I have experience with any other software for comparison.