PathSolutions TotalView Logo

Troubleshooting and monitoring for enterprise networks

PathSolutions TotalView Reviews

Suggested alternatives

manageengine-opmanager
netflow-analyzer
manageengine-oputils

The product is great but the best part of TotalView is working with the developers at PathSolutions. Great customer support and great people.
I don't really feel there are any cons. I've tried other network monitoring systems and they are always difficult to set up and maintain.

Mark N.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Our ROI was right after install

TotalView was a refreshing case of a product that delivers what they say. When I had support issues or even questions on how to resolve an issue I was unfamiliar with, they were there to help. The PathSolutions team put the customers needs first and listen to feedback provided by customers on their product.

Pros

The built in troubleshooter analyzed the issues that we had and gave us possible solutions for the issues we found. This made it so easy to find the root cause and resolve it expeditiously. Where we normally spent days or weeks hunting down complex issues, TotalView helped us resolve in a matter of minutes. I used this product while working at VMware and it was a money saver right out of the box.

Cons

Honestly, the only issue I ever had was with the UI in the past, but I gave feedback to PathSolutions and the developers listened and redesigned the UI in future releases. So currently I do not have anything that I don't like about the product.

PR

Parsram R.

Government Administration, 501-1,000 employees

Great Software!

Support is great! New features are included at no additional costs. The product is constantly evolving to meet customer requests.

Pros

The deployment of this software was extremely easy. It does not require external databases, nor is it dependent on Java. It took less that 30 minutes from he beginning of deployment for me to start to get actionable data. All of the features are available as a single product; there are no modules that you have to pay for.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about the software.

Used other for less than 6 months

Very bad experience.

none!

Pros

Cons

I tried numerous times to get this software working and it just never worked. I needed the software to go onsite for network evals and it was a waste of monies.The software never worked and the customer support just wasn't there. I paid for the software and it never worked at all.

We're sorry you felt you had a poor experience. You may have our software confused with another vendor's solution, as we handhold our customers through deployment to ensure success. Unlike others, we provide people with direct telephone (no phone trees) and email access to our support engineers. If you have SNMP community strings set up on your network equipment, a deployment and auto-configuration is quick and easy (typically under 12 minutes). If you had problems configuring SNMP and contacted us, we could have helped walk you through this.

DB

Don B.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Provides large quantities of information, easily, at a reasonable cost!

My overall experience is excellent. They are responsive, informative, the software is easy to set up and all the config files are in one toolbox, and there are other options for checking if devices are ready to add, a network search wizard, and it will tell you what is connected to each port in your system. You can filter by a ton of stuff (what parts are up, what are down, what are admin down, how much power is being drawn by POE, equipment inventory details, equipment vulnerabilities (at least for routers and switches in the base package) - one of our security guys told me he liked it better for some things than Nessus. I have no complaints with the company - they are easy and "fun" to work with.

Pros

In comparing to SolarWinds, which we also have, this is MUCH more intuitive to use - you can find what you need in only a few clicks, and if you let it see your entire network you can literally type what you are looking for in the search box and it will find it. You can set it up to track all kinds of things and warn you as needed, for example, since most of our POE devices are either phones or access...

Cons

I don't feel there are aspects that are hard to use - you give it all your IP scopes, and make sure SNMP is set up on your devices, and it goes out and does all the rest. I am not a huge fan of the network diagram - yes, it shows you everything on the network and how it is connected, but I am finding it hard to find out how to reposition stuff for better readability - it seems to have a life of its own and when you stretch something the whole map moves - I have also not found an easy way to get that map out on paper - I can go up to 11x17, technically larger if I use the plotter, but I haven't found a way to export it or print it decently. It's hard to complain - if I ask for something and it's not impossible to do it has eventually found its way into an update.

CM

Claude M.

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

Path Solutions... the right path

Pros

To say I like this software would be gross understatement. I do not know how I could function in my day-to-day duties without it. I count on my first stop of the day being the total path console; where I can get an overall view of just what’s "cooking" in my network gear. The console gives me just enough information to give me a warm feeling that everything is ok, without an overload of messages when...

Cons

A little more explanation of some of the features within the product. I'll have to admit some of its most used features and screen were those I stumbled on., with great pleasure I might add.

BM

Bryan M.

Financial Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

These guys care about you caring for your network

These guys are fantastic! The engineers and developers behind the product are truly dedicated to bringing a feature-rich and powerful tool to everyday network engineers. They are NOT concerned with getting rich on their product as the licensing model is extremely reasonable. These guys honestly care about you caring for your network. We have other products in-house that have half the features of TotalView and cost 2 or 3 times more. The PathSolutions team also takes feedback from us for feature requests and will include new features in the updated versions of the software at NO ADDITIONAL COST! I cannot say enough good things about the PathSolutions team and their continued effort to improve upon this already great software.

Pros

There are so many things to love about this software. I am most impressed with the way they have taken all this SNMP data, which is typically very difficult to parse, and presented it in a way that is very easy to digest. The explanation of error counters and possible causes of issues based on the counters helps to focus troubleshooting efforts immediately upon detection.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like about the software is when you are on the tab that lists all of your devices, it can sometimes take a few minutes to load all the devices/status. They have improved upon that tab since we first purchased the product by adding a "collapse all" feature so that it won't try to load all devices at once but it can still use a little more improvement.

CC

Chris C.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

I feel blind with out it.

I have used many other other tools, don't want to mention any names, but this is simply the best out there. And it is so simple and quick to install and have running too. We moved data centers a few years ago and the tool was down for a couple of days and I felt absolutely blind without it. Some tools give you fancy maps and stuff, that look really cool, but they rarely provide much value beyond looking cool. Whenever there is a performance issue or someone complains about the network, this is the go-to tool for me.

Pros

The manner in which TotalView brings the actionable data to you at a glance is so powerful. Many others I have used force you to hunt for the data you need to find issues or give you the peace of mind that your network is healthy. They recently added security features, which is a good direction, that add even more value. You can tell that this was a tool designed by an engineer for an engineer.

Cons

There is little to dislike, but if I had to pick something it would be the lack of SNMP support by some vendors like Meraki. I have my whole network visible in the tool, except my Meraki WAP's. They show up but I dont get all the data. All other devices are perfect, Citrix, HP, Cisco, etc... You would think that Cisco would have the Meraki's supporting SNMP better.

JH

John H.

Machinery, 1,001-5,000 employees

Network Monitoring Made Easy

Our company has been using TotalView for over 14 years. It is used on a daily basis. We have multiple branch offices so having TotalView is a must. As soon as the location is having issues we get a notification. We usually know a location is having issues before they do. It really keeps our Department informed as to how the network is performing.

Pros

The interface on a workstation or phone is easy to navigate. Getting notifications when you have a downed system allows you to react quickly. The software also allows you to fine tune your network. You can really dig into devices that are having issues when you wouldn't even know they are having issues.

JB

Jim B.

Translation and Localization, 201-500 employees

PathSolutions increases network visibility and eases troubleshooting woes.

I have been using PathSolutions for about 12 years now. I love it! I recommend it. I cannot imagine running any type of enterprise network with out it.

Pros

I have a few, but interfaces utilization, Network Prescriptions, inventory, assessment tools, VoIP responders for QoS. It is really hard to pick a most liked feature. I believe that I use them all. It is easy to setup, easy to use and easy to understand. When we bring on a new team member, I have them up and running using the tool in 5 minutes or less!! You just cannot beat that!

Cons

Hmmmm.... I guess having to use the wizard and restart the service when I add or remove sub nets.

JP

Joseph P.

Museums and Institutions, 51-200 employees

Lost without PathSolutions TotalView

TotalView has definitely helped me from day one. We originally purchased the software to assist with mapping out our network as we were migrating to a VOIP phone system. It has now been the go to software for anything network related as the Rx descriptions have helped my team greatly in keeping our network operations and not turtled.

Pros

I love the fact that I have a network monitoring system that help me keep on top of my network. Receiving daily health reports as well as a heads up on items needing to be looked into help me greatly in my daily tasks.

Cons

There are no real cons to the software. All portions work great and the latest version has gotten a much improved user interface.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Just what the doctor ordered

Path Solutions from beginning to current relationship has been a positive experience. From Try it before you buy it to seeing the team in action at Cisco Live to working with their support team. Path Solutions is definitely big enough to deliver the product yet small enough that the personalized attention and customer service is some of the best experienced from any vendor.

Pros

A customizable and fully functional out of the box solution with nothing left out. Path Solutions was deployed in a day and within minutes had completed the initial scan and began to return results. * Easy to customize scans to disregard test and dev environments * Displays can be tailored to the intended audience * Rapid updates and the ability to get as granular as you need to be from the screen that you are on. * Reports that can be tailored to the level of the recipient. Everything from detailed reports that are hundreds of pages to simple summary reports for management briefs * Great insight into VoIP solutions, QoS and other telephony areas overlooked or absent in similar applications we explored

Cons

The think I like the least about Total View is simple... because Total View is continuously evolving with the ever evolving network industry it forces a person to stay on top of things and not be the lazy Maytag engineer. On the flip side it can help take a network to the level that allows routine maintenance and troubleshooting to not involve a great deal of effort... so is that really a bad thing?

NC

Nic C.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

PathSolutions as a Network Assessment Tool

We use PathSolutions to provide Network Assessments to our customers. We have had the tool for just a short period of time and have already used it in many of our customer environments. The ease of use and deployment it provides in a matter of minutes has significantly cut down the time it takes for us to perform an assessment. Not to mention the reporting and visibility it provides is instrumental in providing the data we need to properly identify issues and health checks for our customers.

Pros

The assessment reporting tool is outstanding. I like the ease of you use of the dashboard for quick display of issues or areas that need attention.

Cons

The network diagram only shows layer 3 connections and not all devices discovered with the tool. It would be nice for Layer 2 devices discovered to also be displayed. Also the discovery mechanism is based off IP ranges added in the discovery. It doesn't use tools such lldp or cdp to branch out and discover additional devices not listed in the IP ranges fro discovery.

MD

Michael D.

Insurance, 1,001-5,000 employees

A great tool for troubleshooting network issues

Overall, it has been great, especially in regards to the support we have received. Their support is top notch. Other companies can learn a thing or two on how to treat their customers.

Pros

There are several things I like, with the top two being the daily reports I get emailed indicating overall network health, and the second being the overall ease of use. This is a very easy application to learn and use.

Cons

I don't have any complaints, but if I did have to list one, it would be that it doesn't help me troubleshoot issues with remote users on VoIP phones. Now, this may be a case of user error or lack of education, or it may not be something that Total View is capable of due to the users equipment or setup and I am falsely pinning this on Total View as a deficiency.

Yes, we can help solve remote user VoIP problems with our built-in call simulator. We will have someone from support contact you and help with this. Alternately, there are training videos on our website that can help: https://www.pathsolutions.com/resources/call-simulator-training

MB

Mark B.

Insurance, 201-500 employees

TotalView give a total view of our enviroment

We have used TotalView for several years and it is a fantastic product. We will continue to use it. The company is also amazing. They treat you amazing and are incredibly knowledgeable about their product.

Pros

TotalView is amazing at giving us a overall view of our network traffic and seeing our bottlenecks and invalid configurations. It helps us find those gremlins causing us poor networking

Cons

This is not so much about the software. It is so robust and has so many features that I wish we had the time to utilize them all. I feel like we have just scratched the surface of what it is capable of doing.

EH

Erik H.

Telecommunications, 5,001-10,000 employees

PathSolutions Totalview

My overall experience with PathSolutions TotalView has been excellent. The engineers are quick to jump in and help you get it running so you get the most from the product without guessing what you need. The number of built-in tests alongside the ability to create your own custom test that outputs in multiple common formats like HTML, Word, CSV make this product stand out among its competitors. When you add its ability to scan the network for devices, interfaces, and hidden issues, you get the total view of your network (guess that's how it got its name). ;-)

Pros

The software checks all the boxes as far as being able to do network diagnostics for voice, data, video or any combination of the above while also providing a deeper dive into each device, its interfaces, uplinks, and overall system/network health. It has the ability to scan networks to create a quick inventory while also pulling stats that highlight hard to find errors often overlooked in a device configuration.

Cons

The product creates fantastic reports but would like the additional feature to store call simulation reports on the server vs only on the client itself. Overall though, it auto generates an easy to read report you can edit and customize to your audience without needing to do a ton of CUT/PASTE or have an expensive Adobe license.

RG

Ramil G.

Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 employees

PathSolutions - Great network management tool

We have two other "network tools" and my go to is PathSolutions. easy o use and has all the tools that I need to get things done and troubleshoot what I need.

Pros

Easy to use, shows network performance and drills down to specific interfaces which is a plus. Network analysis, IPAM, the network Map diagram, Netflow

Cons

Sometimes netflow is not working correctly as far as showing data even though we have configured our routers for PathSolutions monitoring.

We didn't show any open support tickets for your NetFlow problem, so we proactively opened one and will be in touch with you to get it resolved.

BG

Brian G.

Computer Networking, self-employed

PathSolutions TotalView - Great Value for Network Monitoring

Overall, PathSolutions TotalView is a great product. I was immediately able to do a full collection of network data and see accurate statistics in a very short time-frame. When PathSolutions says you can start collecting information in 12 minutes, they are correct. Obviously trend analysis takes time, but many other performance indicators are shown right away.

Pros

There are a handful of things that are great about this product: - Quick installation and setup - Rapid discovery of SNMP-enabled devices - Collected information has a small footprint that is easy to save offline

Cons

Very few cons, but from what I have so far: - I don't like that the licensing is tied to a MAC address. During consulting engagements I may need to write reports for one client while a workstation is collecting data at another client's location. It would be nice to have an "offline" license for these kinds of situations - I'd like to see TV add telemetry data as a feature. SNMP will be here for a long time, but having the ability to receive that information will open up more opportunities, especially for clients that do not enable SNMP on network devices. - Exporting reports into Word is good, but I'd like to have the ability to do custom reporting and different formats other than *.doc

MT

Mark T.

Mining & Metals, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great network focused troubleshooting tool

TotalView gives us the complete visibility to troubleshoot network issues quicker than before. Stats overtime with explanations of issues in plain English help senior team members quickly gather data that would otherwise take longer and jr team members leverage tools without having to involve anyone else as the tool contains all required data and explanations.

Pros

Complete view of the network with minimal effort to setup. Gathering valuable data within 20 minute - this product does what the vendor promises from the onset.

Cons

Some customization are hard to setup or maintain but that does not detract from the main focus as well, the customization are well documented and the support team is always willing to help.

TS

Tim S.

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

Wesbanco

Finding unknown performance problems and being able to suggest possible cause.

Pros

Cons

I'd like to be able to see all the down nodes right from the dashboard in a very user friendly manor. I find the map view hard to setup.

Great idea for a new dashboard widget, we'll make that happen! I'll have someone from support show you the MapTool, it's the better & easier way to configure maps.

TT

Trevor T.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Pathsolutions is essential for any network

It has been essential for our organization. Without it I could just imagine the network issues we would be having and I would not be a very happy person.

Pros

The dashboard is easy to use and helps you diagnose issues at a glance. This software has been essential for keeping our network healthy and efficient.

Cons

The dashboard and website/system monitoring for systems that you don't control could use a little work.

MS

Matthew S.

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great daily reports

Pros

We have SNMP monitoring on all our corporate switches and we can monitor the network weather report so we can see what ports (or even switches) are being over utilized and if we have any security concerns regarding port usage.

Cons

I wish I knew a little more about the software if it could do application monitoring as well

ZD

Zachary D.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

PathSolutions TotalView - A Great Product

Overall, PathSolutions TotalView has been a game-changer for retrieving network diagnostic information for our infrastructure. The ease of use and versatility of the application allows for quickly retrieving network diagnostic information as well as a consolidated location to view a variety of our connected devices.

Pros

TotalView is a strong, simplistic network management tool that allows for quick and concise network diagnostics. The per-interface historical data is extremely useful and allows for retroactive management. Additionally, the ability to monitor VoIP traffic and calls has proven to have been beneficial to my organization.

Cons

I currently do not have any cons with the software. The level of support has been phenomenal.

SR

Steven R.

Medical Devices, 201-500 employees

TotalView is what it says-- a total view of your network

Totalview has been a helpful tool for us to get an overall picture of our network's health. It's very much a thing you set up once and it just works.

Pros

It was easy to set up. Input your IP range, and it just goes and collects an impressive amount of data.

Cons

Some of the terms for some metrics weren't obviously clear, but between documentation and support, I have never had an issue getting a question answered.

RS

Rob S.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

VoIP Monitoring

We are still in the implementation stage. Have not had any major issues to really see what the system can do. Covid has also limited our need for the short term.

Pros

Has a lot of useful information, once it is setup. The system is great at identifying and isolating possible issues.

Cons

Since we are only monitoring our VoIP vlan portion and not the entire network it took a while to setup the ports we want to monitor. Having a way to identify and monitor a specific VLAN would be great without having to manually update the ignore file.

CZ

Cherilyn Z.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Yes we would purchase again!!

Pros

Ease of use and all of the capabilities it gives our team.

Cons

We have had no problems with this product