Logos Bible Software

Bible study software for pastors, scholars & organizations

Logos Bible Software Reviews

Pros

The resources are good quality and if I want more they are available. It is easy to use for what I need.

Ken S.

I love the ease of finding a lot of information about a text quickly on one screen. I also enjoy being about to work across my desktop, tablet, and phone somewhat seamlessly.

joshua c.

Ease of purchase, simple to download, amazing search engine, many levels to choose from which will work for any budget, and the ability to add to your library.

Ellen C.

Jeff L.

The mobile app can be quite unstable even on cutting edge phones.

I can't say I have a different idea of how it should work so this criticism is not significant.

Blair P.

Logos Bible Software Review 2021

Transcript

Mark: My name is Mark. I pastor a local church and I give Logos Bible software a five out of five. In...

Can't Live Without It

I am thoroughly impressed by Faithlife (the corporation behind the production of Logos). I use Logos every day, and can't imagine a day without it.

Pros

I use Logos every single day, and I have no regrets. I have almost completely migrated my theological library from physical books to Logos. It is unbelievable how useful it is to be able to search through my library when studying a passage of Scripture, as everything is cross-linked. What used to take hours in study or research, I can now do with Logos in minutes or even seconds. This gets me farther than before, faster and more effectively than ever.

Cons

Logos has a drastic learning curve. The software is not very intuitive but requires lots of patience and instruction. I have found that curve worth plodding, however. The customer service is fabulous in helping people get up to speed with the system.

A Researcher's Dream

Logos Bible Software is a biblical researcher's dream come true. As in other spheres of technological advancement, Logos is allowing us to do things in biblical studies that 20 years ago we would have thought was science fiction. Aside from the software itself, the support has been superb. I'm grateful for Logos/FaithLife every day.

Pros

Every individual has a personal style for studying, doing research, and preparing sermons or class sessions. We can celebrate the fact, therefore, that Logos Bible Software has such a vast array of interconnected tools and resources that anyone using Logos can do their Bible-related prep work in the manner that suits their study-research personality. Over the years of using Logos, making extensive...

Cons

What's not to like? Except that Logos Bible Software has more power and features than you'll ever get around to using! I do wish that some of the more advanced grammatical tools were easier and more intuitive to use (I've never been able to assemble a working Syntax Search of my own). However, a higher learning curve for more advanced tools is to be expected.

Keep your Books and Build Your Physically Library

Horrible. The techs are condescending and rude when you ask for help. The software is just beyond frustrating. Why would you take a platform like WordSearch away from pastors that are already struggling to find time and energy to prepare with all the added issues of Covid and the chaos in our culture?

Pros

Nothing. It is expensive, over complicated and not practical for a pastor that has multiple demands on his time and attention.

Cons

Everything. I resent the fact that I was forced by LifeWay to leave WordSearch that I have invested thousands of dollars in to build a wonderful library. Logos cannot compete with WordSearch so they bought and shut it down. This is one the most unethical things I have witnessed and it is no difference than someone walking in my house and stealing over 2,000 volumes from my library.

Best money can buy - only so much you can do

In many ways it is overkill for the typical pastor. I teach through the Bible and often it takes a year to get through two books of the Bible. It is hard to find the time to utilize everything on Logos unless you start studying Logos. And I feel the purpose is to study the Bible and not get tied up with hours of technical abilities to use the software. Don’t get me wrong it is wonderful and I love it but I was hoping that the upgrades would help bring further time saving tools. But I feel in all the packages I just get so many things that I don’t need all at once. It’s easier just to order the single study book or whatever I’m studying then to buy the whole series. I was also excited when LOGOS purchased WORDsearch products which I owned and now they are merged into logos.

Pros

LOGOS software is the best Bible software on the market and its features are incredible. I even joined Morris Proctor subscription to learn more about LOGOS and its features. But then I end up studying LOGOS software more than the Bible.

Cons

I think the main problem is it’s just too much. I want to use it to study the Bible not to spend hours figuring out how the software works. Many books that you purchase in packages are like infomercial channels you get on cable. It’s very expensive and it seems every year with the upgrade you lose a level even though they say you don’t. I just purchased platinum but now while it’s still platinum in Logos 8 The upgrade brought me a level down. It seems like an endless ability to catch up to portfolio which is way beyond what I need this for. There’s only so many study materials you can use even when they are virtual. What I have seems sufficient. I don’t need endless magazines from the 1950s to today. The video courses are a bit bland.

My Tech Support Experience with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Pros

Resource availability. I bought the TDOT TDNT Bundle 2 days ago, the complete installation of Logos Bible Software was run overnight. All I can say, due to my lack of experience with it is "I am excited about its potential for my Biblical research."

Cons

Such a HUGE program it is expected to have some early challenges. Mine was that I could not find the large set I had bought and couldn't even find the Library which would be my main work area. In my desire to at least find that before you closed on [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] I called for [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. It was so wonderful that the day I bought the TDOT TDNT Bundle he kindly sent an email...

Can't Go Wrong with Logos!

My overall experience with Logos has been tremendous. The support I've gotten through technical support to the sales representatives has been great. I am able to have Logos up on another Screen so that I can flow seamlessly from Logos to my Sermon for the week. It's awesome!

Pros

There are so many different things that I love about Logos. It's easy to use. You can have multiple commentaries or translations of the Bible up at one time. It makes it easy then to look at a particular passage and study them in a variety of different ways. The library depending on the package you choose is fantastic! And they often offer some good discounts to jump up a level. It is fantastic! I love that when my laptop was running out of space, I could then use the web app version of Logos and access my library that way. So huge!

Cons

I have rarely had an issue if ever with Logos. I think it is set-up and run well. I really love it!

The Resources Alone Make this Software Worth Using

I enjoy using Logos. It is not overly difficult to jump into using, and it is easy to find instructional videos online that will further supplement your information and experience. It is useful for personal study, but it is available and can be implemented for use with a broader teaching or congregational study.

Pros

Logos Bible Software is a tool that I would recommend to anyone seeking to learn more about theological topics and dig deeper into the Bible. It has a variety of tools and features, perhaps too many to list here. Most frequently, I find myself using the exegetical guide provided to users, which breaks down the Greek and Hebrew text word-for-word and provides parsing tools. The search feature is excellent, and allows users to select which resources they want to search through, whether that be books, the Old and New Testaments, and other possible reference works. Additionally, free users are provided with a great beginning library, and all users are offered one free new book each month, selected by Logos. Overall, this is a great product.

Cons

There are still resources available elsewhere that are not available on Logos. Some books may take some time to arrive on the Logos platform, but by and large, this will not be a problem due to the number of other books and resources available.

Logos Bible Software and Customer Support

Pros

The software is used daily for sermon prep, Bible studies, etc. Still trying to learn how to use the sermon builder. So far, it seems to guide me onto a specific path or routine. Haven't tried the integration with Word, PowerPoint, and Proclaim. I called customer support because I wasn't able to upgrade my Logos 8 to 9. CS was extremely patient and helpful. My Logos 9 now works! If I have 5 stars to give, I'll give 10.

Cons

Steep learning curve = A bit overwhelming, but still learning to use it.

Couldn't do without it

I use this software every day, for devotional reading, for research and study, for sermon prep, etc. It's been a significant time saver as well as a solid resource.

Pros

The features are many. The resources are outstanding. Setting up multiple layouts allows extreme customization that streamlines my work. Cross platform support - in my case Mac, Ipad, Iphone, provides great flexibility.

Cons

I still find some interface aspects to be a bit clunky. The sermon builder is a work in progress that has room for improvement. The sermon builder also leans toward a scripted preaching style. Lack of formatting flexibility in slides.

Amazing features, bulky and expensive

I have loved the software. I have not fully optimized or used the all of the features that are available because it can b overwhelming to use or understand. I am not even fully aware of all the books and resources I have available.

Pros

All of the tools and features to study the Bible very thoroughly and dive really deeply.

Cons

The cost of the software, the load speed and it gets confusing at times when you have so many options and things that can be accomplished in the software.

Massive library program that does more than previous giants would have thought possible.

Pros

Logos is really incredible. It places thousands of resources at your fingertips and has them all cross-referenced and indexed. I don't know of another program that has this level of intertextuality built into the program. You can follow links and references to the works they were citing. You can build searches on top of searches. This is a one-stop-shop library program and powerful language tool all...

Cons

Logos is not cheap. At all. All of their resources cost significantly more than what they would cost in print. Add in the fact that I don't like reading on a screen, and I retain information far better when I can deal with the geography of a book, and that makes it a losing proposition. Their bundles inflate book numbers with filler junk that you will never use, and would never want. You will be oversold resources and features that you will never use.

The Swiss Army Knife of Bible Study

I've used a lot of Bible software over the years. Many of them have been very well done. But Logos is more powerful and feature rich than others. It seems very mature and polished having a professional feel to it. For me it takes my Bible study to the next level. It provides quick cross references, images, Greek and Hebrew resources including audible pronunciations, maps, and much more.

Pros

Logos Bible Software is simple enough to be used by anyone yet has enough power for the scholar or theologian. There are quite a few different packages which can help get you started for less money and still have some solid features. However, if you can afford it a more expensive package comes with an amazing amount of resources. One of my favorite features is how you can hover over words and instantly...

Cons

Honestly, the downside would be the price. I understand why it can be expensive with all the resources and features you get but it makes it hard for the average person to purchase. Lately they have provided some good options though, whether it's Faithlife Connect or through your church using Faithlife Equip.

My go-to resource for sermon preparation

It would be hard to imagine my sermon preparation without Logos. From looking up number of occurrences of words, to research in the original languages, to having dozens of commentaries at my fingertips, Logos helps me consistently present well-researched messages in a fraction of the time it would take to do manually.

Pros

Logos dramatically cuts down the amount of time I spend writing sermons each week by compiling all the resources I need in one location. Not only that, but with the fairly recent addition of the Sermon Builder component, my message slides can be automatically generated and inserted into Proclaim, Faithlife's presentation software. This saves this small-church pastor some valuable time while still delivering an excellent end result.

Cons

The biggest con with Logos is the price. However, I believe it has more than paid for itself in the last 10 years of ministry.

Sean, thank you for this. We love seeing people take advantage of the sermon builder and its integration with Proclaim. We're working on some great features to take this even further. Also, make sure you check out our new website builder at https://sites.faithlife.com. If you publish your sermon to https://sermons.faithlife.com, it will automatically appear on your Faithlife Site. We're trying to remove more pain points for pastors of small churches. We hear you have a few things on your plate. =)

Invaluable Bible Software

I find Logos Bible Software an invaluable tool for researching the Bible to write sermons and produce research papers. I love the integration with Proclaim presentation software. The breadth of features are enormous and the output is well organised and accessible.

Pros

Logos bible software is a dynamic integration of research features available for serious students of the Bible. I use the product regularly to prepare sermons and research topics. The software is vast in its scope but has good entry level points for the inexperienced user. Advanced use of the software allows complex searches using other languages. Greek and Hebrew students will find excellent resources. I love the clear presentation of results which enables me to make sense of lots of material.

Cons

Software of this complexity does not come cheaply. However, I have found the investment well rewarded over many years. Intermediate and advanced users of the software may struggle to come to grips with the nuances but there is paid and free support from an enthusiastic community. Logos themselves support the product well. Of course, logos cannot provide every book needed for study, so the software will likely need to be supplemented from a print library.

Mi experiencia con Logos 9 - Asael Illú

Una de las ventajas grandes que veo con Logos es el ahorro de tiempo para realizar estudios de la Biblia, de igual manera veo que la compra de libros es más accesible y rápido, además que tiene la opción de devolver un producto si no satisface al cliente (al menos en un período de 30 días).

Pros

Considero que las funciones son muy buenas mayormente a partir de la biblioteca Tesoro para arriba, simplifica la búsqueda de ciertos temas y ayuda a emprender un análisis más rápido del Texto Sagrado. La ventaja es que puedo usarlo en todos mis dispositivos y descargar los libros y Biblias para mi estudio personal en cualquier lugar

Cons

Necesita mejorar en extensiones de biblioteca que incluya recursos netamente académicos, veo que actualmente para adquirir ese tipo de recursos hay que adquirir la biblioteca Platino, entonces eso en ocasiones está fuera del alcance económico. Sugiero extensiones académicas o en integración con algunos recursos en inglés para profundizar más en el estudio tanto del Antiguo como del Nuevo Testamento, sin descartar el conocimiento en Literatura del Período del Segundo Templo. También sugiero. Además algunos libros en las bibliotecas actuales son libros con contenido no relevante para nuestro tiempo.

A nearly perfect Bible software

This is the most used and most cherished program on my Mac. I have been a Logos (formerly Libronix) user since 1999. I am thankful for the effort and ingenuity of the Logos team to continue to advance the exceptional quality of their product.

Pros

You can't beat having an entire digital library in the palm of your hands. The speed at which users can access resources is unparalleled and the linking up of books is genius.

Cons

Two features that would dramatically improve my Logos experience: 1. Allow users to move more quickly through opened resources. At present a user has to click on the left and right button in order to move through resources. This is slow, cumbersome and inefficient. Especially when a user has 20 or more resources opened. 2. On the mobile app allow users to set their own highlighter defaults. The current default is set to highlighter. But this user prefers solid colors as well as bold, underline and large text. This feature would be greatly improved if you allowed user to selected their own default highlight once a text is selected rather than creating a few extra steps.

Best Bible Software Package

Logos is great for developing sermons and lesson plans!

Pros

This review is for Logos Bible Software, NOT for Proclaim Logos simply has the largest library available for the student. The number of tools that are available are (honestly) overwhelming, but the experienced user can master these tools quickly. It is possible to easily get lost in the weeds with Logos because the weeds are so easily gotten to. However, sometimes chasing a rabbit down its hole is worth it!

Cons

It can easily get very expensive. I would recommend buying sets you want or only investing in a library if just about everything it contains is something you want to add to your library. It may be more expensive to purchase individual books, but you won't get hundreds of resources you don't want/need.

Gregory, thank you for this review. We appreciate it. You're correct. Purchasing libraries is definitely more cost effective than the individual titles. If you're ever considering a larger purchase, don't hesitate to call in to our team. We're happy to help crunch the numbers and recommend the most cost-effective way to add the resources you're looking at to your library.

Good

Pros

I like the availability and practicality of the material. There are many valuable resources available there. Also, they are always offering new content and it is perceptive that they want to cover many books that are important in the field of biblical studies and theology. There is also a discount program for students, which has been helpful to get essential sources for a less high price.

Cons

More advanced research is still tricky. By contrast, there are many features that are possible to achieve with Bible Works that are not possible in Logos. For example, Logos is not helpful when I want to research specific lemmas and common phrases within the Hebrew Bible. It is still very dependent on traditional, though important, lexicons and theological dictionaries. It is not versatile and dynamic, though. In that case, the advanced reader needs to combine logos with Bible Works. Both are, however, very expensive.

Love the amazing array of features and the consolidation of my library into one place.

Financially, buying logos was challenging, but the reward was a great variety of tools. Don't buy beyond what you will use, however. Lot's of things look great, but you'll only ever use a fraction of it.

Pros

Love the fact that you can search across all resources and instantly pull those resources up in the links - basically like wikipedia. Saves so much time in searching out important resources. The portability of a library is also great. Being able to pick up where you left off on one device is also super useful. The extensive tools for studying the original languages are also incredibly useful - even if it takes a few hours to learn them all.

Cons

Slows down your computer a lot if it isn't powerful enough. Some things are not as intuitive as could be hoped, but fortunately there are really good Youtube channels to explain how to use it. The mobile app doesn't have/allow for the reading out loud option.

Best Product for Bible Study

Fantastic!

Pros

I love the great variety of digital resources that are available in the software and for purchase. I love the way the works are all tagged and can be searched. The integration features are fantastic. This software beats the old days when I would have multiple commentaries & resources open and spread out all over my desk while studying for sermons, listens, et.

Cons

It has so many options that it takes a lot of time investment to learn how to utilize them all. Of course, you don't have to use all the options, but you feel like you're paying for stuff that could be helpful and and you hate to pay for it and then not use it.

Logos 8 review

Overall, your product is great. I use it everyday to write sermons, Sunday school lessons, and Bible studies. Your customer service is great. You offer free and discounted books every month. I recommend this product to all my minister friends.

Pros

The thing I use the most is for the Greek and Hebrew. Also, the multiple translations. The integration of books is also very useful. I also enjoy all the free books. I glad you keep upgrading your product, but this is also a con (see below).

Cons

Learning a new program every year or every other year. All changes makes it hard to keep up, especially when you get used to a certain way of doing things. Your full new program upgrades are expensive for a minister on a small budget. I would appreciate a full upgrade with all the features without spending $200 or plus dollars.

Logos--expensive, complex, but totally worth it

I first started using this as a bible translator and was provided it by my organization. Unfortunately, my old computer was very slow and logos caused the computer to run so slow I was unable to use it. However, with my new computer it works great! I use it regularly in my own Bible study and in my work.

Pros

I keep finding more and more things on there I didn't know where there! I found an entire course (with the workbook, grammar, vocabulary, and video lectures) by Mounce on Greek that i was planning to spend $150 for! I love the resources for bible translators.

Cons

It is kind of hard to figure out. The tutorials are good, but also very long, many, and annoyingly slow. Also, it is very good technology so it runs super slow on old computers. I feel like since it's mainly text-based things, it should find a way to have less things running at once. Also, for many Bible Translators who work in areas with bad internet, the fact that it constantly updates itself is annoying and expensive.

I have been a Logos user since 2005 and purchased while in seminary

It is one of my favorite bible tools for discipleship evangelism and with the latest editions of Jeff Vanderstelt materials, it went over the top!!! Highly recommend.

Pros

I read a book by Randy Alcorn called Money, Eternity, and Possessions about how Christians hoard books and do not get them back into circulation, and I made a decision to build an electronic library instead of the libraries I grew up with as a kid. As a biblical counselor and a passion for discipleship evangelism, this allows me to have reproducible tools at my finger tips and the ability to create quality lessons and materials with hours of work and paying retail.

Cons

Sometimes the pre-pubs can hit without notice otherwise great product.

Derek, thank you for the review! We'll pass your note about the pre-pubs on to the team.

Immensely Powerful Study Tools And More

Pros

Logos opens up a huge world of exploration when it comes to studying scripture, and goes even further with complex highlighting and notation features, sermon editor and prep guides, and more. There is really nothing else like it, and I feel lucky to live in an era where this depth of study is possible at the tips of my fingers. People even just a few short decades ago could only dream of being able to access so much information in such dynamic and "smart" ways made possible by modern technology.

Cons

The biggest drawback is price. It is extremely expensive when you start looking at larger resource packages, and just to unlock all the features of the software. To make matters worse, the amount of different pricing tires and resource packages is dizzying. I understand they want to be flexible for different denominations and offer multiple price points of entry for different budgets, but deciding on a package is quite an undertaking that can take hours to sort out if you are at all worried about spending less than $10,000.

It is a simple and complete mobile library.

This product has made me to be more observant of things the more. Especially, all the daily applications that are essential for self development and office organization.

Pros

The way the software developer packaged so many features together on a platform is amazing. In same manner, the quick search mode is linguistically loaded for beginners and advanced users. Coupled with suggestions for quick word references is another icing on the cake. The tracking percentages of respective books is also a side attraction.

Cons

Anyway, there are some features that are needed to be worked upon. 1. If the interactive surface is simplified the more. 2. A program that will be relaunched on the same platform whereby you have logged off is better for continuity in study.