PDXpert PLM

Product lifecycle management solution for growing companies

visit website

PDXpert PLM Reviews

Jeffrey M.

21CFR11 Compliance for GMP operations. Online help menus and superb technical support quickly resolve questions.

Ingo B.

Simon H.

Craig O.

Craig O.

Anthony C.

4.6

Best Bang for the Buck

Fantastic !! The most impressive thing was the lack of issues we experienced during our migration. The support and direction from the folks at PDXpert made an extremely daunting task seem simple. The entire process was complete in less then 3 months and we have never looked back. Life is good with PDXpert PLM.

Pros

PDXpert delivers a fantastic product and is perfect alternative to other PLM products on the market today. The system is extremely intuitive with a well developed with a friendly user interface. Product support is fantastic and knowledgeable.

Cons

It's difficult to find any faults with the system.

PDXpert - Functionality We Needed with the Best Value Available

Our previous system was very outdated with a DOS-like interface and the need to manipulate data in multiple data modules. We also used paper for drawings, documents and change forms which were converted into PDFs and stored in folders on our network. Creating a new BOM with a dozen new numbers and 200 relationships takes a whopping 92% less time with PDXpert. PDXpert is easy to learn and use. I just wish we would have implemented it sooner.

Pros

Coming from a paper-based system, PDXpert provides all of the functionality that we need without paying for features that we do not need. It easily handles our 125K part numbers and 270K parent/child relationships. We have approximately 50 Full User licenses and 50 Read Only. So, we didn't need all the bells and whistles of the biggest providers. PDXpert was easily configured to mimic our current...

Cons

About the only thing is that some of the built-in functionality such as most of the information on the Attributes tab is hard coded and cannot be hidden if it is not used. However, we have just instructed our users to disregard this information and it hasn't caused any confusion.

Initial assessment of software for clients new division

PLM software comes into its own when parts need to be controlled and or repeated and are part of series production. Given this the investment in time to enter the data will pay significant dividends as the number of product lines increase and I would certainly recommend PDXpert for anyone running just such a business. Its ability to be customised and its scalability allows it to grow with the business without the fear that at some point it will be necessary to move to another system.

Pros

The system is very capable but at the same time does not try to incorporate functions outside of its primary remit which often causes complication with other vendor systems. The ability to hold information within one database and produce quick reports giving key financial and material data is something that is just not possible easily with spreadsheets often used by smaller enterprises. The ability...

Cons

We have not fully implemented the sytem so am unable to realistically comment on any day to day issues. We have experierienced some hanging of the sofware that has been resolved by reinstallation. This could pose a problem if it occurred when fully installed as it gave concern about the integrity of the data entered the first time it occurred. The online tutorials are very good and help to visually...

Engineering Data Organised - At Last!

Computer assisted design and drafting systems (CAD) are nice to have, but in my experience a good Product Lifecycle Management System (PLM) is essential. If absolutely necessary, we could live without CAD and use manual techniques, but there is no known way to handle the complex interrelationship between parts without access to a well designed Product Data Management system. A PLM system is even more...

Pros

Existing part number / description database imported without any problems. Logical layout of windows makes finding and using data easy. Excellent search function. Comprehensive 'Help' system makes system easy to learn for new users. Extensive technical help files available from Technical Support for more advanced users, and for 'Best Practice' advice. Rapid and knowledgeable response from Application...

Cons

No problems with PDXpert itself. However, we have not yet integrated the PDXpert database with our Business / Accounting system - which is due for replacement. Many of the Business / Accounting systems we have looked at so far attempt to perform some of the part interrelationship functions that are handled much better by PDXpert. Therefore we are looking for a replacement Business / Accounting system that can synchronize part data with PDXpert either using PDXpert's standardized database system (preferably) or via a custom data integration program.

Excellent software for document and part revision control

Pros

We use PDXpert only for part and document revision control, although it has some inventory/cost capabilities, we don't use them so I can't speak on that. PDXpert is extremely user friendly and trouble free . We have never had an issue with PDXpert malfunctioning or behaving in any way other than it should. Any tech support issues have always been quickly and completely resolved in a extremely professional manner (our tech support is always an IT issue on our side). Engineering changes are very easy to start, route and implement. Part version control, AVL info, document control, change control are all great. Easy search for parts, manufacturers, Engineering changes, past revision BOM and so on. Everything you need.

Cons

Nothing, PDXpert is perfect for our needs

PDX Software did exactly what I needed it to

I have worked closely who has been spectacular. customer service was prompt in responding and helping me with understanding the system and figuring out how to do certain things I needed to do. I could not ask for better customer service.

Pros

Once I learned a few basics it was very easy to learn. I did not use the full functionality of the software since I was using it to develop Bills of Material for a company that had never implemented an ERP system.

Cons

There are a few features I needed that were very specific to what I was trying to accomplish. I would not really expect the software to do those things so it took some custom programming which was done at a very reasonable cost and was completed on a timely basis.

PDXpert is the greatest

Overall all it turns out PDXpert is exactly what I was looking for. It is full featured PLM. I came from the medical device world and this product would have easily fit there too. Most of what has made this experience so good is the implementation support and the ongoing custumer service. AND the product is very affordable

Pros

This software was easy to implement. It has been easy to use, and it offered all of the functionality I need. This should be sufficient to carry the company well into the future. Active Sensing's customer support has been beyond great. Calls are answered usually directly but if not I get a call back quickly. They have efficient tools and they held my hand where necessary. The tool is great but customer service is beyond fantastic.

Cons

Tool is windows based so occasionally the UI is clunky but it does what it needs to do.

Our experience with PDXpert has been very positive from the start.

My department uses PDXpert as our electronic and mechanical assembly BOM and change management system. We are able to effectively manage change to hundreds of active products that we produce in-house.

Pros

PDXpert is an affordable full-featured PLM system that have helps us manage a 350+ electronic circuit board assemblies with thousands of parts.

Cons

The user interface could use some modernization. We see issues with screen rendering on the newer higher resolution displays.

Full featured PLM, with a fairly easy interface system

We used PDXpert to initiate a global PLM systems for our company. Allowed us to move away from a simple and very limited in-house system. It was easy and quick to roll out across the company.

Pros

The flexibility of the database to incorporate customer fields and other items needed to tailor the systems. Ease of installation.

Cons

We use the system globally and sometimes the speed of operation is slow, even over fairly fast network connections.

A work in progress

I consider PDXpert a work in progress and Active Sensing a company that is very in-tune with their customers. Over the three years I worked with the program, I saw great improvements and no doubt better ones on the way. The level of support I received over those three years has been world class. Any small issue I had was quickly addressed and suggestions I made were not only taken seriously but actually put in subsequent releases of the program. From what I've seen, the program runs well on "lesser" computers (assuming you have a decent network) which would make the program perfect for small and medium sized companies.

Pros

1.Quick Searches using Internet type search techniques 2. 5 Star Support ; the level of support I received was like having a direct line to the engineering dept. Questions were handled quickly directly or through our IT dept. 3. Customer feedback was solicited, taken and often incorporated into future releases. 4. Short learning curve got me up and running quickly.

Cons

1. Performing VERY specific searches requires a little bit of a learning curve. 2. No method of creating specialized reports internally at this time.

Very happy with product. Excellent customer support especially during implementation

True configuration management where previously there was none.

Pros

Needed a simple and lightweight PLM product. PDXpert is full featured and met all of our needs without the overhead typically associated with this type of product. It is simple to use and simple to learn. We were up and running quickly. The best part of this product is Active Sensing's customer support. The Support Engineer is very knowledgeable and willing to suggest better ways to implement the...

Cons

PDXpert is built using Windows(R) tools. The user interface is not highly polished. It is absolutely sufficient though. There are places where it could be better. The latest release added some really nice features that make it much easier to use.

Very impressed with the functionality and value!

My company literally had nothing in place. Not only am I very satisfied with the software, it has been very easy to show others who have not been exposed to a PLM system how to use it.

Pros

I really like the speed, and ease of use. I was able to configure types, revisions, workflows, etc. with no trouble. The support is by far the best I have ever had using a PLM system. My support engineer is the best! There are some real time-savers built in like Snapshot and Convert...good stuff. I have been a long time user of Agile and Arena and can say that this is the best software I have used for product life cycle management. I have never used PDXpert before but within no time I was training our other users and we were all up and running in a day. Great functionality and great value, I can't say it enough.

Cons

I am a new user and still learning a lot. I would like to see more drag and drop from open records instead of pulling them from the Item Explorer. That's it.

Absolutely the most feature packed PLM I've used

Enables us to properly control all facets of product configuration of a rapidly expanding number of products.

Pros

Very well organized SQL Database structure which eases integration with Engineering and MRP/ERP systems. Product support is fantastic; always timely and knowledgeable not just regarding PDXpert software itself but also PLM principles. Provided invaluable guidance during implementation of our system.

Cons

Would like to see the user interface available as a Web App permitting retrieval and viewing of information in a browser.

Very easy to use and deploy, customer support is fast and extremely knowledgeable

Pros

Ease of use and cost. Very useful to keep files associated with suppliers centralized and up to date. Excellent features for PLM and change control with optional workflows pre-configured. 21CFR11 Compliance for GMP operations. Online help menus and superb technical support quickly resolve questions

Cons

Maximum PDX output package is 2GB, we have files for products exceeding this limit. We are currently investigating options to compress files. Not the most intuitive for customization.

Highly Recommended

There are many PLM systems out there and they are all pretty much of a muchness. What distinguishes one from another is what you can expect in terms of service and support, and this is not something you know before purchase unless you can access the experience of existing users. I am one such. My first exposure to MRP systems was in the 70's, so I have a long background. PDXpert is one of the...

Cons

PDXpert helped us get our documentation under control!

I highly recommend this system - very easy to use, great search engine, lots of flexibilty.

Pros

The system was very easy to implement. PDXpert meets all of our needs. It is flexible enough to allow us to configure it the way we want it. The customer support is fabulous. If I have any questions, I just pick up the phone and call. They are very responsive. I've been using PDXpert for 8 months and it has really helped our engineering and operations organizations get our item master, bills of materials, and engineering documentation under control.

Cons

As with any system, PDXpert has it's limitations. The limitations are minor, however. The out-of-the-box reports are adequate. We paid for 1 custom report and will probably get more reports in the future. But, for now, we have what we need.

Excellent PLM tool for small organizations

I have to say that PDXpert PLM product support is great! PDXpert PLM is very customizable, and easy to use and implement. I have experience with more expensive modular systems and PDXpert can pretty much do what any of those expensive ones do. Setting up the tool is very easy and the website contains lots of information to help you implement it, such as best practices and great tutorials for user training. Over all it's a great product.

Cool tool

Pros

I like the flexibility of structuring the BOM

Cons

Not able to export to an excel file with custom columns.

Review Title

We are using this product more and more. So far working very well for us.

Pros

Ed Alwein is the best. I think the licensing scheme is very fair and non-intrusive.

Cons

I don't think the application does not play very well with multiple monitors. Would really like to have the record windows float outside the main application area. Would like pictures of parts to display in search window.