All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

SafeDNS

Cloud-based web filtering and internet security software

SafeDNS Reviews

Pros

Im happy with it, the more I know how it works the better use I can get from it.

Jorge A.

Ryan H.

Read the full review
My experience has been great. Easy and simple integration and configuration.

Ryan H.

SHERMAN L.

Ruth P.

Leonides C.

4.7

Great features and good pricing!

Excellent - moved to SafeDNS when our previous internet filtering solution was dropped by the vendor.

Pros

Great central management of multiple accounts, with plenty of customisations for the block page etc. We use SafeDNS on customers’ firewalls, including campsites, hostels and garden centre Café’s!

Cons

It would nice to be alerted if the service has received no dns hits for xx hours - this can happen if a dns record is changed, but I forget to update SafeDNS

There are lots of DNS based security products out there

Pros

Safedns does a great job of making DNS based administration quick and easy. Safedns also does a great job of allowing administrators to define a list of allowed sites and deny everything else. Some of the big players in this space surprisingly don't have this functionality.

Cons

I didn't care for the SafeDNS agent software. We tried it on a few systems and decided to apply at the network level for filtered vlans.

Great way to improve the internet safety at home.

I have been very happy with SafeDNS. It has significantly improved the network safety and it requires relatively little maintenance. I don't need to require access to every device. In addition it is very easy to manage when needed.

Pros

I needed a simple and affective way to manage our home network and filter out the trash from all the good that is on the internet. I work in the IT industry and so I explored a number of options including locally installed software like Qustodio, NetNanny and many others. The issue with all of the locally installed software was the constant maintenance and performance issues. They were also too...

Cons

DNS blocking is not fool proof. At the same time it is relatively easy and economical to implement and the problem cases can be dealt with on an individual basis. Some users have figured out that they can use TOR to get around DNS blocking, I am currently exploring router updates to prevent that. Use of a VPN will also bypass overly permissive DNS blocking. That is one reason why I switched to using a whitelist. A thought for SafeDNS. Consider allowing categories to be used as a whitelist instead of a blacklist. e.g. Rather then allowing everything except that which is blocked... Instead, block everything (including the unknown/uncategorized) except those categories that are known to be good.

Constant issues

Pros

product worked perfectly for a year, now constant issues every week we have 2-3 outages and support has not stated anything other than to let them know if it happens again, am under huge pressure from division managers to fix once and for all, unfortunately, safedns still cannot find the issue so I am now shopping for other providers :(

Cons

product no longer works , support seems to not care about fixing at all

SafeDNS offers good protection, at a reasonable price.

Generally, we use this to prevent accidents. An accident might be someone opening a site that is inappropriate for the workplace, and expose the client to workplace harassment claims. It might also be one that prevents someone from going to a malware site, and infecting the network. Overall, our experience has been good.

Pros

Once the software is set up, it's simple. The end-users don't have to really *do* anything. It just starts taking affect, and preventing them from accessing the sites we don't want them to access. This is true even where the users are distributed, and not on the same network.

Cons

This product is not, at its heart, designed for the MSP model. It's designed for, "I'm using this to manage my network." And so, licensing is not as clear as I'd like to see it. Managing licenses, or license groups is also not as clear as I'd like. There also doesn't seem to be a very clear guide as to what command-line options are needed for a push-out deployment.

Quality DNS software at a Reasonable Price

Very satisfying - set and forget - until a user says why is this site blocked?

Pros

Great support during set up and use by our company. Very helpful when fixing those settings which I didn't read up on in the guide - had a "man" look.

Cons

Not a "known" elite brand but I feel this to be a good thing. Not expert in all things IT but expert in this field.

Secure, Safe DNS for everyone

Pros

Easy console to use, the service does work.

Cons

At times, searches are slow or look ups are slow across the network SafeDNS is securing, some frames don't return properly, if at all, on a web page. End user does not know what is wrong or if something is being blocked; and yes, there is a blocked page warning configured. Doesen't show up.

Affordable, Cloud-Based Web Filtering

Pros

I've been using SafeDNS on the school network I manage for a number of years. Here's the pros: 1. The cost, especially for educational institutions, is very affordable. 2. Implementation is simple if you're well versed in router configuration. 3. The interface is simple. Preset categories seem to be fairly effective. 4. Forced Safe Search for search engines and Forced Restricted Mode for YouTube is a great feature for implementing in a school. 5. Changes in configuration can be made from any web browser at any time, so management is remote.

Cons

1. At the present time, the SafeDNS agent, which automatically sends your IP information to SafeDNS, is available for Windows only. macOS users are out of luck. For my application, this isn't a huge deal because I have the network set up on a static IP, but for those with a dynamic IP address, the only way to keep the filtering working 100% is to use the agent app.

SafeDNS- Low Maintenance Web Filter

We've been using SafeDns for several years. We are a school and we do not have personnel that can dedicate to Web Filtering management, hardware & software installation and maintenance. We also cannot afford to spend much. But, of course, we need the webfilter protection with hundreds of students. With SafeDns, you set it and forget it. Check once and a while to make sure it is securing your network. Very easy to use. Easy Web Based product with easy to use management. No heavy lifting from the user perspective, but delivers a solid protection.

Pros

Very easy to setup. No additional servers, software. Short learning curve. Effective delivery of Web Filter Security. Very easy to Maintain.

Cons

A few years ago, products like this were free. Now the annual fee goes up every year.

General

Good

Pros

Easy to implementation, good performance

Cons

In China, we always get wrong DNS result for local web page. More function need for client.

Exactly what you need for the most inexpensive price.

We have several scanners that need to work with our network, and they must have access to the Internet. Even the scanners have limited access to the wan, our personnel found a way to navigate to not work-related webpages. SafeDNS it's a great tool to have restrictive control on this matter. At the same time, it is a great way to get control of the webpages the administrative personnel has access to, all this, without using an expensive proxy. And the most important thing for us. SafeDNS allow us to accomplish specific requirements from the CTPAT program (U.S. Customs and Border Protection rules).

Pros

SafeDNS has an easy way to administrate all the rules on our network. I like the way that has the filters for a safe google search. The pre-rules are extensive but flexible at the same time if you want a restrictive network without sacrifice speed and functionality. All these advantages for a great value price.

Cons

I would like to have more number of domain registers on the white/black option lists. I think 40 entries it's not enough.

Web Security affordable

Pros

The use of classes or type of web content and the use of white/black lists. Also the possibility to create profiles and schedules.

Cons

There are various factors that affect that the software works well, so is not that simple for a non technical person to determine where the problem could be if the software is not working properly, however, the support from SafeDNS is really good and they will help you solve any issue. Also to get most out of the profiles it is necesary to install the client on a PC and also the vpn client on the phones, along with the dynamic dns client in case the router doesnt support it, so all this can complicate the installation and reduce the customer experience and satisfaction.

Review of Safedns as a filter

Pretty good.

Pros

When coming across a domain that is not categorized by Safedns, they promptly categorize or recategorize when requested. It is easy to download.

Cons

The shopping websites Gumtree and Ebay dont show pictures when Safedns is active. I have asked what to do to make it happen but in trying to follow what was instructed I couldnt make it work. I would like more help on it whch I will need to chat in writing about to try and fix.

Easy while powerful and always updated filter

SafeDNS is an excellent solution for Education.

Pros

Our clients are schools. We differentiate profiles of teachers and students with easy using simple NAT rules in the gateway. Also, we can fine-tune the filter by adding white & black lists for all the customers, and even for a single customer, by individual profiles.

Cons

No special negative thoughts, actually.

SafeDNS - a great product for client filtering

The company is a pleasure to do business with. I would never want to go back to my old filtering software.

Pros

You set up up and you are done. Have not had to do anything special or make any changes since I installed it several years ago.

Cons

I can't think of a thing that i don't like about it.

SafeDNS

Pros

We have been using this software for years and are very happy with the results. School and Parents are grateful for the safety this software brings to us. When I check our stats and can see the protection that is being provided. Makes us very happy.

Cons

The one frustrating time was that none of the students could access Teams. One we realized that SafeDNS was blocking Teams it was a quick fix. Overall very happy with the program.

Safe DNS save broadband significantly

This software came to make a real difference with teh people using Internet during working hours. We were with almost 100% of use of the Internet service and requiered a second service contrated. After SafeDNS we recover on Internet service just for visitors and the original is enough for the regular operation.

Pros

This software requires just an agent and the end user is not affected in their perfomance during the deployment.

Cons

The technical support is not as easy to contact abroad.

BEST FIT FOR US

I would highly recommend cost vs value use of this product to anyone! They balance features and costs for their customers.

Pros

We reviewed multiple platforms for our needs and found that the ease of implementation across our network was the major reason for choosing this product. They worked with us to ensure we captured all of our traffic.

Cons

The features and reporting are basic but it meets our needs.

Great and Affordable Product

My experience has been great. Easy and simple integration and configuration.

Pros

This product gives multiple options to safeguard our network. It is easy to use that where I am able to train another individual to change a configurations. My environment doesn't need crazy configurations or AD integrations. It is a great product for exactly what we need. It is also affordable for small organizations with small budgets as well.

Cons

I have not found any negatives for my environment.

Great Product

Pros

SafeDNS has made it easy to block harmful, productivity limiting, and bandwidth hogging websites from our end users. No system is perfect and a few legitimate websites get blocked, but once again, SafeDNS makes it easy for me as an administrator to white list domains that our end users need to access. It is easy to set up and maintain.

Cons

Sometimes the product does not show the block page, which requires additional troubleshooting by us to see if the site is down or being blocked. It would be a perfect product if the block screen appeared every time a site was being blocked.

Safe dns review

Great experience. it has kept us safe.

Pros

easy to undersatnd and deply. Categorys are correct, and havnt ahd anyone bypass it in 2 years.

Cons

The reports could be a bit better. otherthen that nothing.

Simple but effective web protection

Pros

We've been using SafeDNS for a few years now to protect visiting users to our guest Wi-Fi networks. Administration via the website is easy to navigate and reliability of the service has never been a worry.

Cons

Perhaps not as granular as a regular proxy when it comes to website categories although still more than what we need.

Affordable and Effective

Overall, it does what we want it to do for an affordable price.

Pros

This was easy to integrate with the wifi network at our church, where we have a free wifi network connection. We wanted the ability to filter internet access through all of our subnets, and SafeDNS made that easy and affordable.

Cons

We'd like to be able to set different filtering options for different subnets, and have not found that to be a simple process.

Nice product

Have not experienced any downtime or issues.

Pros

Was easy to setup, very effective at content filtering, with granular settings.

Cons

Would like more useful reporting of statistics.

SafeDNS - recommended

I have been using SafeDNS for 5 years, and I don't regret choosing it, safe surfing is my priority and it is my family's priority, if I recommend it ?? definitely !!

Pros

we also use it to connect to the development platform, creating static pointers on different profiles, we also use the same technique to connect from smartphones via VPN

Cons

at the moment I don't find flaws in the project, honestly I don't know what to say.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.