IntelliJ IDEA Logo

1.2K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.03/10

Reviews by rating

I love that you can use a free version that’s extremely capable and buy the paid for version for some extra useful features and integration with other services and software like databases.
It makes the whole process a delight for developers that don't have to care about integrating this tool with some others like builders or version controllers. All is already included here.
Jet Brains makes wonderful IDEs as it is, but IntelliJ IDEA is the best one I've used of theirs and on top of that, its the best IDE for Java that I've used.
I commonly have problems with lag if the program has different aspects that make it heavy. Other than that, there’s not much I don’t like.
Sometimes when it lost connection (access token) to github it randomly asks for the password again, without giving proper context.
At this point I don't think there are any features that I think are missing.

1,216 reviews

Phil T.

Fiction Writer

Writing and Editing, self-employed

IntelliJ IDEA Review: One Stop Shop.

Transcript

Philip T.: My name is Phil. I'm a writer and I give IntelliJ IDEA 5-stars. I decided to try and learn...

Eduardo G.

Sr. Software Developer

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Highly recommended for Java Development

Transcript

Eduardo: Hi, my name is Eduardo. I am a Software Engineer for a software company in the banking industry....

Ahmed A.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

The only Java IDE you should use, ever.

Pros

IntelliJ is the best Java IDE with all competitors very far behind. It has excellent UI, a very rich marketplace of JetBrains-developed and 3rd party plugins for pretty much any framework or programming language you may need, very good debugging and refactoring features, among other strong points that any developer needs from an IDE.

Cons

The only con to using the Enterprise version of IntelliJ is that it's rather pricey. It may be a little heavy on system resources sometimes as well, but both of these points shouldn't really matter to a professional developer since using IntelliJ usually boosts your productivity, and makes up for the money you spend.

aa

ahmad a.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

IntelliJ IDEA: Pros & Cons – A Balanced Perspective

Pros

The free version of IntelliJ IDEA, for students is truly groundbreaking as it gives them the opportunity to use a grade integrated development environment (IDE) without any financial strain. This software empowers students to delve into coding expand their knowledge and thrive in their coding endeavors laying a groundwork, for their professional paths. provides a range of capabilities, such, as code suggestion, powerful refactoring utilities, smooth integration, with version control systems and a wide selection of plugins to enhance productivity.

Cons

Some users find it to be resource-intensive, leading to slower performance on lower-end machines. Additionally, the learning curve for mastering all the advanced features can be steep for beginners. Costly for some users. licensing fees may be high.

Ritesh J.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Powerful code editor for java developer

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is one of the best code editor for software development. The shortcuts and suggestion for code makes the coding journey very easy. The interface is pleasing for the eyes which makes the code debugging quick and effective.

Cons

It takes a lot of memory of computer which makes the experience worst if you are running it on a low end computer. For beginners it might take a lot of effort to setup

Pavol R.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

The best IDE you can get

I am a big advocate of all Intellij products, yet I am not on their payroll :). As a developer, using Intellij IDEA is the best investment you can do to improve your development experience.

Pros

I've been using Intellij IDEA for more than 8 years now and I can honestly say that it helped me to become a better developer. It has all the features you need and beyond. I especially like that I can code, debug, deploy and test everything within IDE, since there are many additional features that tie everything together (e.g. source code connected to database tools). It is better with each version.

Cons

Since it is a large software that is targeting many different platforms it can be sometimes buggy. I had some experience with crashes/freezing, but I can usually resolve them (e.g. by downgrading or waiting for update, which is usually pretty fast).

Mukeshkumar J.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Intellij Idea is one of the best IDE for Application Development. It has Lots useful of features.

Overall, IntelliJ IDEA is a very powerful tool for developers, so it's a must have IDE.

Pros

It is very useful IDE for developers for application development. Neat and clean UI. Lots of themes and many good features. Many customizations option. Easy to use , integrate with plugins and extensions. Good debugging, code completion and refactoring tools. Integrated Maven , Gradle and GIT makes it very easy for code development.

Cons

Ultimate edition is very costly for individual developers. It is a Heavy software, so need better system with good computing and memory resources, otherwise it will make the machine slow. New users might get overwhelmed with lots of options and features. So, there is some learning curve to use this software.

Yasiru G.

The Perfect IDE for Java Developers

As an IDE which is not resource hungry and has good community support this helps a lot for developers and their workflows.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is feature packed IDE. One of the best features are how they automatically get all the dependencies needs for a project. And also the ability to configure the UI as preferred is really helpful because we look at the IDE for a long time period everyday. IDE is light weight and not resource hungry as their competitors. Support from GIT and other frameworks and stuff is really good.

Cons

Throughout the time I have used IntelliJ IDEA I didn't find any issuue that bothered me. It had everything I needed to get my work done perfectly.

Tamás S.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

IntelliJ IDEA review

I'm developing automated UI tests with it in Java for my company.

Pros

Very userfriendly and easy to use UI. It has endless plugins to add.

Cons

Error messages could be more detailed and helpful.

Lucas L.

Computer Games, 10,001+ employees

The most impressive software for Developers

It's simply great! Once you get to know all opportunities and functionalities of the software, it helps you to be more productive with less effort.

Pros

It's a simple software when you get used to it. It has a several number of functionalities, integrations and it's very helpful for developers. I use Java, JavaEE, JSF, PrimeFaces, Hibernate and several features, and this software is quite impressive.

Cons

The learning curve is quite long, but this is not a big issue.

Ashwin S.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Convenient and Easy to Use

It's been really good so far, even the friends I've recommended the software to, loved the suggestion. The interface is really nice and it's not a pain to install libraries in java since they can be downloaded natively within the application.

Pros

It streamlines my project workflow to a great extent. It integrates Github well, the autocomplete feature works flawlessly and the debugger saves me a lot of time. Even GUI programming and XML is very usable in the software. It was very easy to adapt to GUI designing in both JavaFX as well as XML in Android Studio.

Cons

There was nothing specific but I find it really hard to adapt to other Softwares now that I've adjusted to the IDE. I always find features lacking in other IDEs which always require extensions.

Vishal Samuel D.

Financial Services, 10,001+ employees

Great IDE to start your coding journey

For this price range, this would easily be in the top 3 IDEs out there. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

As a beginner to coding, this software was the easiest to write code, debug lines of codes, and even the code completion feature helped a lot when I slowly got more advanced in Python coding.

Cons

The software is slightly heavy. I mean the startup is a bit slow compared to most IDEs in similar range. If you are completely new to coding, the UI might be a bit confusing to navigate around because of the number of features the software offers.

RM

Ryan M.

Computer Software, self-employed

IntelliJ products are perfect for the multi-language developer

Overall, IntelliJ IDEA has been a staple in my toolkit and without it, I'm not sure I'd have gotten as far in my career given how powerful it is. It really forces you to learn more about the code you write instead of having to familiarize yourself with IDE features (I came from Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 back in the day) and it forces you to write quality code so you can take advantage of the amazing features such as find/replace and the various refactoring tools (which vary by IDE, i.e. Resharper for the C languages, but there are some core features available in every IntelliJ IDE). Additionally, you save a ton of time using the aforementioned refactoring tools.

Pros

- Learn IntelliJ IDEA, and you're good for every other product. - So many options for almost every language, for example you have PhpStorm, WebStorm, CLion, and many more. - They're always improving their core features such as search and their terminal (which allows you to connect to any of PowerShell, Git Bash, or Command Prompt) - There's no shortage of themes. They've even somewhat recently introduced...

Cons

Honestly, IntelliJ products have really helped me through my professional career and I've built so much of my knowledge around their products, so I can't really call anything a con because not only have they built the fundamental infrastructure of my knowledge using IDEs, other IDEs copy them. They're widely recognized as the gold standard in (somewhat) open-source IDEs. I will say it being built with...

DJ

Deepanshu J.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

I am not going to switch to any other IDE ever

I have covered most of it in my first answer. The user friendly way of refactoring, debugging, writing unit tests, getting crucial warnings about avoiding code smells etc are what make IntelliJ a perfect IDE for any kind of software development.

Pros

There are many wonderful features present in IntelliJ but the top couple of features for me that stand out are -1. Ease of use.2. Super intelligent nature of this IDE to identify most common code smells and show them as info or warnings to the developer which helps reduce code smells without having to spend much manual efforts.3. There are so many user friendly shortcuts which make development fast...

Cons

This is very difficult to answer because whatever features I mostly use are very useful for me in day to day development. But if I have to mention one thing, it would be that when I work with maven dependencies, I sometimes have to go to individual modules and reload the the projects, until then it keeps on showing false warnings of classes not found.

WT

Wajahat T.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Great IDE with alot of Plugins ready to be used that make your work easy

Pros

This is the Best IDE in my opinion. The best part in this is the easy to install plugins, these plugins make the work so easy and save alot of our developers time, in other ways also helps to meet the tight deadlines, its UI can be customized uniquely for your own unique style. It also supports many languages and file formats. I use this daily at my work and really love it. there is still alot for me to explore in it. every new feature that I explore makes my code smaller, better, stronger and reliable. Really recommend using it.

Cons

Sorry but I cant think of any thing that should be improved, I still have alot of things to explore. Seriously the maturity of this IDE is so high.

MF

Mir Fida N.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Used other for 6-12 months

Best feature rich programming IDE for Java and other coding language platfrom developers

I would recommend it to all java developers working on small to medium level projects. For startups and learners community edition may be a good choice and after successful, they can opt-in for Ultimate Edition for enterprise functionality. This IDE also supports the Android development environment but it is suggested to use Android Studio (also based on IntelliJ IDEA ) which easily provides all the required tools, plugins, Gradle, and manifest scripts for android applications.

Pros

First of all, it can be used for multiple languages and platforms especially the premium Ultimate Edition. Can be used for both Front End and Backend development projects. Database management tools are integrated into the system. Most favorite features of this IDE are better Auto Code Completion, powerful debugging tools, version control system similar to git, fast code searching, helpful shortcuts commands A ton of Plugin ecosystem provides helpful add-ons making it efficient and productive. The User Interface is very user-friendly and smooth which helps in settings and configurations.

Cons

It is heavy in resources because it contains various features sometimes loading takes time especially during building projects. Too many updates can be frustrating but it helps to make it bug-free for us. The Ultimate edition is a bit expensive. But a free trial is available.

RG

Robert G.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

IntelliJ Review

Great, I was sold on IntelliJ while watching a YouTube tutorial where someone was using it. I ended up buying access to the whole development suite. I use most of them, but, I don't write in every language, only a few.

Pros

I had used WebStorm prior to using IntelliJ, so, many of the perks are the same between those two products which also seems to pleasantly true about all of the JetBrains development products across the board. One major feature I like is the 'Terminal'; in most cases I deal with Linux bash, so I enjoy having a terminal window that opens in the project directory and uses bash instead of the WIndows CLI....

Cons

The few things I would like IntelliJ to do are probably already available, but, I haven't figured out how to do it yet ;) But, I had had an issue with the validation of external Maven libraries, and, I do wish there was a way to clear the heap memory in the JRE. I was able to connect to our JIRA instance through IntelliJ, but, I cold not interact with the tasks the way I would like to, I'd like to track tickets in JIRA better from the IDE.

DE

Diego E.

Information Services, 1-10 employees

Full-featured and indeed smart IDE. It just works and thus makes my programming easier.

It simply made my work easier. From small details like 'smartly' renaming files, to multi-line text selection all the way to performance, advanced settings and support for all kinds of features and plug-ins.

Pros

- What I like most are the shortcuts. Every other IDE also has shortcuts but IntelliJ (and Jetbrains generally) has done a great job with theirs. At least for men, they seem intuitive. - Offers many, many features but still manages to have a great performance. - Sounds trivial, but the settings are well structured and searchable! Almost everything is customizable and if not there is probably a plugin...

Cons

- The product is constantly updated, which is a good thing but it is somewhat bothersome. Of course they have to ask the user,, but would be nice if it just updated without prompting, at least for smaller updates. -The integrated console its fine, but (at least on Windows) it sometimes lags and stops working. Not that often, but it happens. - Co-workers that used another IDE, usually complained...

Vikram K.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Well established tool for software development

It's the greatest IDE all-around, and it's continually updated with performance enhancements and useful new features. I appreciate that you can utilise the free version, which is quite capable, and then upgrade to the commercial version for more features and interaction with other services and applications, such as databases. Has a terrific plugin marketplace, as well as a great UI and shortcuts for navigating and editing more quickly. It assists me in writing better code by providing ideas and allowing me to explore my code quickly.

Pros

Predictions and ideas for code, a plethora of modification choices, a plethora of plugins, and a helpful community, Many of the benefits are similar across Web Storm and IntelliJ, which seems to be true across the board for all of Jet Brains' development products. Another feature I enjoy is the ability to connect directly to your databases and select from a range of database kinds. This is useful with Java Persistence since IntelliJ notifies you right away if there are database changes that aren't in sync with your domain objects, even before you try to fix them.

Cons

Some plugins need a significant amount of RAM, so if you're using a system with insufficient processing power, you could not receive the entire experience. As a result, in order for this Extremely Helpful programme to work effectively, you need utilise a powerful system. Features like code colour style, code completion, and code inspection significantly down the editor's operation in some situations, such as while working on a big file. In such circumstances, I run into a lot of ram use and have to manually collaborate by turning off some of the features. Another is the code for the premium features of the software. For a freelancer, purchasing a licence is prohibitively expensive, thus they are forced to explore for alternatives.

Prudencia F.

Research, 51-200 employees

IntelliJ IDEA Review

I have been using IntelliJ IDEA for several years now and it is one of the best development environments I have ever used. It is very easy to use and has a lot of features to help you with your coding. The user interface is very intuitive and easy to navigate, and the auto-completion helps speed up development time.

Pros

I like IntelliJ IDEA because it is an incredibly powerful and intuitive development environment. It provides many features that help me to write high-quality code quickly. It has a great user interface which makes it easy to navigate through my project and quickly find the code I need. Additionally, it has a wide variety of plugins that make it even more powerful. IntelliJ IDEA also has great features such as code completion and refactoring, which make my development process faster and more efficient. Lastly, I appreciate the constant updates that IntelliJ IDEA provides, which keeps my development environment up to date.

Cons

The biggest downside to IntelliJ IDEA is its cost. It is a paid product, so if you are on a tight budget or strictly looking for a free IDE, then IntelliJ might not be the right option for you.

Joseph M.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Agrxis Review on IntelliJ IDEA

My overall impressions of the potent integrated development environment (IDE) IntelliJ IDEA have been continuously wowed by its broad range of features and capabilities. IntelliJ IDEA has significantly increased my productivity and efficiency as a developer when creating code. The IDE's intelligent code completion and suggestions have helped me write cleaner, more precise code while saving me time...

Pros

I adore IntelliJ IDEA and all the wonderful things it has to offer. It has significantly improved my coding experience and increased my productivity as a developer. The robust code analysis and insightful suggestions of IntelliJ IDEA are the features I like most. The IDE continuously reviews my code in real-time, looking for any issues, making suggestions for enhancements, and providing guidance as...

Cons

There were a few parts of IntelliJ IDEA, a potent and feature-rich integrated development environment (IDE) for software development, that I didn't particularly like. The learning curve associated with the IDE's vast capability and multiple features was one component that occasionally presented a hardship. In the beginning, my productivity was hampered because it took me some time to really examine and comprehend all the available tools and shortcuts as a developer.

MP

Martin P.

The most powerful IDE for Java and Kotlin

The leading and for me the most powerful IDE for Java and Kotlin apps. Provides plugin store, debugging, code inspections, git client, code completion and extended features. A bit slower and consuming more RAM memory.

Pros

Provides code editor and IDE for Java and its successor Kotlin. You can customize the IDE using the plugins from the Market store which provides free and licensed extensions. IDE implements integrated source code management tool so you don't need any GIT client. There is a possibility to debug code using the debugger mode when running the application. The best feature is code completion and code inspections which perform many tasks to check your code statically.

Cons

IDE is written in Kotlin and is a bit slower to start and run. It also consumes lots of RAM memory. You need to run more instances for more project, they can not be shown as tabs in one running instance.

Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 employees

“The best, agile code editor for JAVA developers”

IntelliJ IDEA is the best programming software for JAVA developers which I have completed 8+ projects using this software. I have been using this software for a long period of time and I am very happy about this software as this software develops all the time when new JAVA versions are arriving. I hope u all try this software and experience the incredible features of this software.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is an amazing software that I usually use to analyze codes as it owns a code analyzer especially to identify errors. This software is very helpful to beginners as it has good support for code making with good assistance. Hence it is very convenient and easy to use. Some of the features I interested most about this software are duplicate detection, astute code completion ability, possessed...

Cons

This software is a bit expensive, and sometimes it is lagging when I am running large projects in this software. It uses a large amount of memory for some plugins and intensive use of resources are the main downsides I have noticed. The learning curve is a bit lengthy and it is difficult for beginners and I hope it is better to notify the UI of this software as it is hard for beginners.

Brunei A.

IntelliJ IDEA

I find the user interface to be intuitive and easy to use, and the features and tools make it a great development environment for Java projects. I especially like the debugging tools, which make it easy to identify and fix problems quickly. The integration with Git and other version control systems also makes it easier to keep track of changes and collaborate with others.

Pros

I love IntelliJ IDEA for its efficiency and intuitive design. IntelliJ IDEA has a very powerful code editor that allows me to write code faster and with fewer errors. It also comes with a great set of refactoring tools that make it easy to quickly refactor and improve existing code. The built-in debuggers and unit testing tools are also very helpful in quickly finding and resolving bugs. Additionally, IntelliJ IDEA has an impressive set of features such as auto-completion, code inspections, and intentions that make it easier to write clean, well-structured code.

Cons

IntelliJ's attractive design and user interface may require more CPU power than other IDEs, but the benefits it provides make up for it. Everything else about it is great.

Igor M.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

The best IDE for Java Developers

I am very satisfied with this tool. If you are Java Developer but use another IDE, try this one, and you will fall in love with it.

Pros

1. It makes me productive in developing: - It supports many top frameworks - Additional features can be added via many plugins - It has a great debugging mechanism. 2. It has smth like artificial intelligence inside. It is truly intelligent: - It has a great possibility for automatic and advisable code refactoring - It advice how to improve my code - it provides a code autocomplete feature 3. It...

Cons

1. It accustoms me to use it. You become a big fan of this tool if try it for some time. 2. It consumes more memory than alternative IDEs. 3. The free version of IntelliJ IDEA does not support Spring.

Vital for Javascript and Java

Pros

1. It can help find references in the dynamic crazyness of Javascript. It isn't perfect, but from what I have seen others using (Atom, sublimetext, eclipse, etc.) it is the best. It also has most JS stuff ready to go instead of fiddling around with installing all sorts of third party plugins. 2. It is easy to split tabs vertically or horizontally and move them around. 3. Search is pretty powerful....

Cons

1. Indexing. One of the larger projects we have can get into this indexing stage that takes minutes and you can't really do anything else. Usually this won't happen unless you are starting from scratch but it comes around maybe once a month for me. 2. Some may consider it bloated. It has a lot of features hidden in the preferences panel and various menus. 3. If you use react I think FB's editor will most likely be better. But for nodejs or normal JS I doubt it can compare. Disclosure I haven't used Nuclide much.

HN

Hans N.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

The one and only Tool

Even the Beta versions usually work flawlessly. The IDE is very stable and powerful. And supports more than I ever will need.

Pros

Support for all languages I currently need: ActionScript3, Javascript, Typescript, PHP, bash, Python One common UI, and as far as possible similar/same settings. And excellent features for a comfortable and fast editing/programming

Cons

The automatic preselection of words/lines is (for me) in most use cases not helpful but leads to errors. Sometimes a token is fully selected, sometimes it is not. Sometimes even a click between characters does not unselect. This often results in deleting a complete line when just a command should have been inserted. This is of course a very personal "feeling", but is an annoying thing.