IntelliJ IDEA

Integrated development environment for Java developers

IntelliJ IDEA Reviews

Pros

Its one of the best IDE in the market which supports different kind of Programming languages and its very useful with different plugins available.

DJ

Digna J.

It makes the whole process a delight for developers that don't have to care about integrating this tool with some others like builders or version controllers. All is already included here.

José Luis C.

IntelliJ IDEA is the single best Java IDE on the market. I love the tab auto-completes and suggestions that can totally speed up and ease development.

TE

Trent E.

Cons

I commonly have problems with lag if the program has different aspects that make it heavy. Other than that, there’s not much I don’t like.

Sometimes when it lost connection (access token) to github it randomly asks for the password again, without giving proper context.

At this point I don't think there are any features that I think are missing.

BW

Benjamin W.

Eduardo G.

Sr. Software Developer

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Highly recommended for Java Development

Transcript

Eduardo: Hi, my name is Eduardo. I am a Software Engineer for a software company in the banking industry....

IntelliJ IDEA Review

Transcript

Akashbir S.: I'm Akashbir. I'm a software developer, and I give IntelliJ a 4 out of 5 ranking. Basically,...

Powerful IDE worth the investment

A number of the other IDEs on the market are resource heavy and sluggish. IntelliJ also does a very good job with memory management on MacOS and doesn't need any fancy configuration to get up and running. Unit testing software, database plugins, memory monitors are all a part of this tool.

Pros

Jetbrains packs a lot of features into one IDE. If you are searching for a tool to do something very specific in Java - usually there is a plugin for it. I've grown up using netbeans and eclipse, but have always needed to rely on external tools to provide additional features. But intelliJ is very feature rich.

Cons

The cost is very heavy especially for a startup company. It works out if you are a large company or a teacher/student. The costs rule out a lot of people from using this tool over something free like eclipse/netbeans.

Awesome IDE for your daily JAVA related development

I am very pleased with IntelliJ IDEA after moving from Eclipse. Which is also a great tool but I love how smooth IntelliJ IDEA runs on my MacBook Pro. This is one of the best experience I have with an IDE

Pros

I like how intelligently it suggests, and it's features which include awesome code completions, as well as intuitive way to integrate plugins for different tools. It also includes gigantic amount of shortcuts, when you're familiar with them makes your day to day life pretty easy. Attractive interface along with the debugging capabilities for JAVA makes this the go to tool for any developer. This also has version control included, which smoothens the process of a Software developer by a great deal

Cons

Some plugins take huge amount of memory, so if you're on a machine which does not have enough power, you might not get the fullest experience. Hence you're encouraged to use a powerful machine for this Extremely Helpful software to run properly

An amazing IDE, make my life so much easier!

I have been primarily using it for test automation, UI, and API and I can say that it's a really powerful tool, very helpful as it speeds up writing code. It's stable, reliable, well supported, and highly customizable. JetBrains makes excellent IDEs and IntelliJ is fine proof of that!

Pros

Code predictions and suggestions, a ton of customization options, a lot of plugins, and a supportive community.

Cons

The number of available options can be a bit intimidating for a first-time user, but it's not much of a con as after using it for a while you will come to appreciate its rich features.

It was good, now it worse

This is my main (yet) IDE for last 6 years, so it is my kind of Swiss-army knife for development .

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is JAVA IDE and unified platform for other languages IDE like PyCharm (Python), HTML/Javascript (WebStorm), C/C++ (CLion) etc. Back in the days it was the most powerful and flexible IDE with a lot of features out of the box, modular structure that allows to extend functionality using plugins, very convenient editor with autocomplete and syntax highlighting, tools to run, debug and profile code and many more. Last not least it had reasonable price and discounts.

Cons

Now days it becomes a little monster working pretty unstable and slow, with regular freezes and crashes. Developers communication with user community is pretty poor, requests for highly-demanded features are actually ignored for years, fundamental problems (like freezes) not fixed from release to release. Price model was changed, so fast-growing Visual Studio Code becomes more and more attractive alternative to JetBrain IDEs.

Best all round Java IDE

The overall experience has been great and I will carry on using it at work for our projects. It helps me a lot to get the job done with its rich feature set, great code linter and plugins available and shortcuts. It will definitely be my go to IDE for Java development.

Pros

I find it’s the best IDE all round that’s constantly updated with performance improvements and new features that help. I love that you can use a free version that’s extremely capable and buy the paid for version for some extra useful features and integration with other services and software like databases. Has a great marketplace for plugins and great interface and shortcuts to navigate and edit faster. It helps me code better with suggestions and navigate my code fast.

Cons

I personally found it hard to get used to the built in git client as opposed to using a separate one. I also found that it can be slow for start-up on large projects but that is expected when it analyses your code and has improved with updates.

Great IDE with alot of Plugins ready to be used that make your work easy

Pros

This is the Best IDE in my opinion. The best part in this is the easy to install plugins, these plugins make the work so easy and save alot of our developers time, in other ways also helps to meet the tight deadlines, its UI can be customized uniquely for your own unique style. It also supports many languages and file formats. I use this daily at my work and really love it. there is still alot for me to explore in it. every new feature that I explore makes my code smaller, better, stronger and reliable. Really recommend using it.

Cons

Sorry but I cant think of any thing that should be improved, I still have alot of things to explore. Seriously the maturity of this IDE is so high.

The only Java IDE you should use, ever.

Pros

IntelliJ is the best Java IDE with all competitors very far behind. It has excellent UI, a very rich marketplace of JetBrains-developed and 3rd party plugins for pretty much any framework or programming language you may need, very good debugging and refactoring features, among other strong points that any developer needs from an IDE.

Cons

The only con to using the Enterprise version of IntelliJ is that it's rather pricey. It may be a little heavy on system resources sometimes as well, but both of these points shouldn't really matter to a professional developer since using IntelliJ usually boosts your productivity, and makes up for the money you spend.

The best IDE you can get

I am a big advocate of all Intellij products, yet I am not on their payroll :). As a developer, using Intellij IDEA is the best investment you can do to improve your development experience.

Pros

I've been using Intellij IDEA for more than 8 years now and I can honestly say that it helped me to become a better developer. It has all the features you need and beyond. I especially like that I can code, debug, deploy and test everything within IDE, since there are many additional features that tie everything together (e.g. source code connected to database tools). It is better with each version.

Cons

Since it is a large software that is targeting many different platforms it can be sometimes buggy. I had some experience with crashes/freezing, but I can usually resolve them (e.g. by downgrading or waiting for update, which is usually pretty fast).

Best Java IDE

Best Java IDE on the market. Period. No point telling anything more.

Pros

This is the only IDE for Java development that you will ever want to use for Java development because it features so many sane defaults that makes it like Spring Boot in comparison to just Spring if you compare it to other Java IDEs.

Cons

It is a resource hog. Very heavy on the system, but still I think it is worth it if you have strong enough machine to run it.

IntelliJ Eclipsed Eclipse

The agility for developing, executing, debugging, browsing applications source code is awesome! Definitely it eclipsed Eclipse IDE.

Pros

IntelliJ is very light, fast to open, fast to search, compilation on the fly is painless. Building your application does not block you to continue working on other stuff. So, the most attractive aspect of IntelliJ is its agility. We used Eclipse for a very long time but now more than 90% of our development teams adopted IntelliJ.

Cons

Some of the search mechanisms are not so intuitive to use as the ones provided in Eclipse for example.

Best IDE Ever!

It's best IDE for Java and Maven platform. Also, I've been using it for Spring Boot developments.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is one of the products of Jetbrains. Most powerful thing for IntelliJ, all IDE has same features and user experience with user interface. Maven repository usage is very powerful. Also, autocomplete and intellisense are great.

Cons

I was .NET developer and used Visual Studio more than 15 years. I really struggle to find some setting on IntelliJ menus.

More Productivity For A Premium Price

In the end, the excellent workflow/UI and the focus on productivity far outweighs the cost and any minor quirks in tools. All things considered I believe it offers a significant value proposition as I've found myself (an only occasional programmer) to be much more productive with it than with competing products.

Pros

Overall, the focus on productivity and workflow is my favorite aspect of it. I've used other JetBrains products and generally love their tools and the general workflow/way they layout their user interface. Compared to some of the more "What You See is What You Get" alternatives or IDEs that take a bit more customization to feel "right", I can say that the immediacy and convenience of JetBrain's approach to the workflow is excellence.

Cons

As with other JetBrains products, for non-open-source projects you will be paying a premium price for their premium product. Also, there are a few edges that could be smoothed out in some of the View windows and the way they display errors. I think preferences regarding Tools, refactoring, and error reporting are slightly different for everyone but there were some things that took a little getting used to coming from Eclipse.

IntelliJ Review

Great, I was sold on IntelliJ while watching a YouTube tutorial where someone was using it. I ended up buying access to the whole development suite. I use most of them, but, I don't write in every language, only a few.

Pros

I had used WebStorm prior to using IntelliJ, so, many of the perks are the same between those two products which also seems to pleasantly true about all of the JetBrains development products across the board. One major feature I like is the 'Terminal'; in most cases I deal with Linux bash, so I enjoy having a terminal window that opens in the project directory and uses bash instead of the WIndows CLI....

Cons

The few things I would like IntelliJ to do are probably already available, but, I haven't figured out how to do it yet ;) But, I had had an issue with the validation of external Maven libraries, and, I do wish there was a way to clear the heap memory in the JRE. I was able to connect to our JIRA instance through IntelliJ, but, I cold not interact with the tasks the way I would like to, I'd like to track tickets in JIRA better from the IDE.

Great IDE for JAVA Developers

Once you've gotten familiar with some of the more common IntelliJ IDEA keyboard shortcuts (Shift + Shift for finding/opening files, CMD+SHIFT+F for project searches), you will find yourself able to move across your codebase with little effort. I find the IDE just as stable if not more so than STS/Eclipse for Spring development.

Pros

I've been a JAVA developer for about 12 years now and have bumped between Netbeans, Eclipse, and now IntelliJ as my IDE of choice. By far, IntelliJ IDEA is the best IDE for JAVA developers. We currently maintain a Spring Boot app with many microservices, using IntelliJ and their great keyboard shortcuts, I'm able to find and maneuver across files and projects with ease. The Evaluator in the debugger has also saved me countless hours of debugging by allowing me to easily test various methods on variables captured during debugging. Also, the later releases have really embraced themes. I've found the "One DarK" theme combined with the "Dracula" text editor color scheme to hit the spot for me. It's quite an elegant IDE.

Cons

I've noticed the memory footprint of IntelliJ gets pretty high, but I have it managing all of my micro services and each java process is counted in there. I don't think IntelliJ necessarily uses more memory than other JAVA IDEs, but it's something you should be mindful of.

IntelliJ was a game changer at our desk.

We implemented intelliJ for java development at our desk. Its been almost 18 months since our team is working on Jetbrains intelliJ, and their support is outstanding. Jetbrains is innovating new things, and the UI progressively changes over time with much more improved features. Whenever we are having problem, we are able to reach out to IntelliJ support, and get our issue solved as fast and prompted.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is great for coding. IntelliJ is more than just an IDE, it gives the code completion as we type. If there's any error on the code, it gives the suggestion on what's wrong, and simply pressing 'alt+enter' we are able see the options to fix the error. Also, its easy to refactor code as we write it. With IntelliJ we are being able to implement interfaces, create methods and rename anything...

Cons

Really nothing of note as cons. The only things that concerns me is the pricing. The community edition of IntelliJ offers basic features, though we needs further features to integrate with Java Eclipse or Java Enterprise, which requires a premium plan and is bit costly.

IntelliJ products are perfect for the multi-language developer

Overall, IntelliJ IDEA has been a staple in my toolkit and without it, I'm not sure I'd have gotten as far in my career given how powerful it is. It really forces you to learn more about the code you write instead of having to familiarize yourself with IDE features (I came from Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 back in the day) and it forces you to write quality code so you can take advantage of the amazing features such as find/replace and the various refactoring tools (which vary by IDE, i.e. Resharper for the C languages, but there are some core features available in every IntelliJ IDE). Additionally, you save a ton of time using the aforementioned refactoring tools.

Pros

- Learn IntelliJ IDEA, and you're good for every other product. - So many options for almost every language, for example you have PhpStorm, WebStorm, CLion, and many more. - They're always improving their core features such as search and their terminal (which allows you to connect to any of PowerShell, Git Bash, or Command Prompt) - There's no shortage of themes. They've even somewhat recently introduced...

Cons

Honestly, IntelliJ products have really helped me through my professional career and I've built so much of my knowledge around their products, so I can't really call anything a con because not only have they built the fundamental infrastructure of my knowledge using IDEs, other IDEs copy them. They're widely recognized as the gold standard in (somewhat) open-source IDEs. I will say it being built with...

IntelliJ IDEA for Java Programer

Overall intellij IDEA is the best programming software to professional programers.It is the favorite one of to me.It also very helpful tool to amateur programers to professional programmers.It feel me like my programming partner while I programming .It so smart and intelligent there for Its knows my next step and adapt to my coding style quickly.

Pros

Software developing is my part time income methode.Most of the time I use java as my main programming language because its very efficient and one of the commonly using programming language in the market.There for i need a high level programming software or a IDE for java programming .Few days ago Netbeans is my daily driver.But seen after the functionality and smartness of Intellij IDEA I moved on...

Cons

Still I did not able to found any thing which disappointe me.But I like to have it more trial period because I not experience whole area of functionality of it.I like the interface of the software but I would like to be it much more user friendly because it will very helpful to amateur programmers.Also it must interdiuse it shortcuts and functions while it programming first.I think it must inbuilt the link of supportive software and parties like Boostrap,Jquery.It is much helpful when offline coding.

Great software but too heavy on resources

Overal is a great tool, but for the price paid I would expect a bit more care on the resources consumption section, since not always you are able to use a machine with 64 GB of RAM and an I9 CPU.

Pros

Intellij is a really complete tool for java development; It offers great integrations to work with Maven, Hibernate and so on and the git integration for version controll is great. On the configuration side, it offers a really great amount of options, for example for the code formatter, code generation and other code-cosmetics stuff. Besides you can also create config for another great bunch of stuff...

Cons

Well, the main cons are the high amount of resources needed for this software, which makes that sometimes the IDE itself stuck for several minutes while it finished processing something. Also I found out that when you have multiple breakpoints set in the code, it also consumes a lot of RAM even when you're not debugging. Besides this, the great amount of features of the software makes complicate to learn how to use it. Also at some point after close the program it fails on terminating the Java process, so you ended with a bunch of java executions on the background

The other half of any Java developer's brain

IDEA has been my go-to Java editor for school and work, and for good reason. Of all the Java IDEs out there, IDEA is the one that truly makes the 'integrated environment' part of 'IDE' a reality by giving you full control over your code -- rather than the other way around.

Pros

When IntelliJ markets IDEA as 'the intelligent Java IDE', they aren't exaggerating. It has the best autocomplete of any IDE I've ever used, beating out the likes of Visual Studio with suggestions that are exactly what I need 99% of the time. But by far my favourite part of IDEA's intelligence are its code suggestions, which will tell you if you've made weird or inefficient choices with your code. This...

Cons

The most immediately frustrating thing about IntelliJ is its startup time. It's not abysmally slow, but in a world where editors like Visual Studio Code and Sublime Text exist with lightning-fast startup times, waiting for IDEA to boot up can be less-than-ideal. Many times, I've resorted to just opening up my Java files in Notepad for small edits because I couldn't be bothered to spend more time opening...

A thought on IntelliJ IDEA

I used this for more than 5 big projects in spring boot framework. I never had any issues. Easy configuring maven dependencies and can run or debug the application with a small simple configuration. Also support frondend frameworks without any issue.

Pros

Quickly adjusting the project along with indexing files. Can found huge no of plugins for this software. Great support from company. Perfect for JAVA as suggestions and highly supports for the java. Can easily run or debug the application. Highly support for GIT and for all new major frontend frameworks also. Light weighted compared to other java IDEs'.

Cons

A bit complicate for beginners to use the software. Slow indexing in large projects.

Best IDE for Software Development

Pros

Intellij is one of the Best IDE available for Free. There is a long list of feature that make it a great tool for application development. It`s Editor user-friendly with a list of shortcuts to help developer move quickly between files and perform task without taking hand off the keyboard. It support Code Colouring that visually help a lot in writing efficient and effective code. But the most...

Cons

In my experience this tool is a great and must have requirement for a software . But sometimes having a huge list of functionality can be the downside also. In certain cases like working on a large file features like code colour styling, code completion, code inspection slow down editor's functionality. I encounters big amount of ram usage in such cases and need to manually collaborate it by switching off some of its functionality. Another is that code of its premium features. For a freelancers it is very costly to purchase the license and in the end the left looking for the alternatives.

Full-featured and indeed smart IDE. It just works and thus makes my programming easier.

It simply made my work easier. From small details like 'smartly' renaming files, to multi-line text selection all the way to performance, advanced settings and support for all kinds of features and plug-ins.

Pros

- What I like most are the shortcuts. Every other IDE also has shortcuts but IntelliJ (and Jetbrains generally) has done a great job with theirs. At least for men, they seem intuitive. - Offers many, many features but still manages to have a great performance. - Sounds trivial, but the settings are well structured and searchable! Almost everything is customizable and if not there is probably a plugin...

Cons

- The product is constantly updated, which is a good thing but it is somewhat bothersome. Of course they have to ask the user,, but would be nice if it just updated without prompting, at least for smaller updates. -The integrated console its fine, but (at least on Windows) it sometimes lags and stops working. Not that often, but it happens. - Co-workers that used another IDE, usually complained...

Review for IntelliJ

I am using IlluminationCloud extension with IntelliJ to create Salesforce features using Salesforce DX.

Pros

It's a powerful one for development. It has all the extension to work on. Using this can develop, debug, deploy and test the product. Most of the tools are available to do the formatting, styling, copyright and pretty much everything that we need for development.

Cons

Slow because of grasp more memory. Sometimes it very hard to reset the initial configuration.

“The best, agile code editor for JAVA developers”

IntelliJ IDEA is the best programming software for JAVA developers which I have completed 8+ projects using this software. I have been using this software for a long period of time and I am very happy about this software as this software develops all the time when new JAVA versions are arriving. I hope u all try this software and experience the incredible features of this software.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is an amazing software that I usually use to analyze codes as it owns a code analyzer especially to identify errors. This software is very helpful to beginners as it has good support for code making with good assistance. Hence it is very convenient and easy to use. Some of the features I interested most about this software are duplicate detection, astute code completion ability, possessed...

Cons

This software is a bit expensive, and sometimes it is lagging when I am running large projects in this software. It uses a large amount of memory for some plugins and intensive use of resources are the main downsides I have noticed. The learning curve is a bit lengthy and it is difficult for beginners and I hope it is better to notify the UI of this software as it is hard for beginners.

The best IDE there is!

The best IDE in my opinion to develop Java, Python, Scala and Android applications

Pros

IntelliJ is really intelligent. It supports Java and Python very well and it looks good doing it. Settings are arranged logically and cohesively (unlike Eclipse) and within a matter of few days, one will learn how to get around the IDE. Feature list is also pretty extensive. Built in FTP uploads of artifacts, column mode selection, multiple cursors for hyper edits and a pretty decent built in Git client. What's awesome is that it also includes Android Studio! The plugin ecosystem is also rich. There are plugins for almost everything. For e.g., there is a multi runner plugin that runs multiple build configurations at the click of a button. Scala plugin is pretty good!

Cons

- This can be a memory hog sometimes - A little buggy sometimes as well. For example, in version 12, I found out the hard way that the IDE was not passing in the maven surefire and failsafe properties to Junit. Spent a bit of time trying to understand why the tests were failing even though everything was in the right place Another example was in v11. The IDE deleted my codebase! There is still a thread running on this topic on their forums and apparently, the problem still exists (though I have never experienced it in the newer versions) - Sold on a subscription which is not that great. However, since this is the software I use to make money, I guess it's ok. Nevertheless, I feel the subscription is on the expensive side.