IntelliJ IDEA Reviews

IntelliJ IDEA

Integrated development environment for Java developers

IntelliJ IDEA

Review Summary

Pros

It very good software that you can use to write Java codes and it looks very good besides its free for students and some discounts for certain people.

It supports different project workflows and supports dependency management tools such as Gradle and Maven. In addition, it has excellent plugin support to extend the IDE's capabilities.

What I like most about IntelliJ IDEA is that it is fully featured with comprehensive search functionality and intelligent click-throughs. It is highly customisable with modern syntax highlighting.

Cons

Uses a lot of resources. This issue is very annoying and happens very often, which can be really frustrating and damage your developing experience.

Tal A.

There's so many features, so if you try to learn it on your own you'll get lost and angry most likely.

Johann K.

It may be overwhelming sometimes as it has a lot of features and with a pletora of plugins the situations can become even worse.

Pasquale G.

A thought on IntelliJ IDEA

I used this for more than 5 big projects in spring boot framework. I never had any issues. Easy configuring maven dependencies and can run or debug the application with a small simple configuration. Also support frondend frameworks without any issue.

Pros

Quickly adjusting the project along with indexing files. Can found huge no of plugins for this software. Great support from company. Perfect for JAVA as suggestions and highly supports for the java. Can easily run or debug the application. Highly support for GIT and for all new major frontend frameworks also. Light weighted compared to other java IDEs'.

Cons

A bit complicate for beginners to use the software. Slow indexing in large projects.

Great Software Development Tool

* I have been uısing the IntelliJ IDEA for more than 10 years and all I can say after my bad days with Eclipse, I can say that IntelliJ really makes you love of software development.

Pros

* It is easy and fast to make development with IntelliJ IDEA as a Java Developer * Its plugins are fast and easy to ease the development * Software development quality and efficiency is great and fast . If you have questions about IntelliJ, they help you as soon as possible. * It does not support only Java development.It also supports other language developments as well as Go, Phyton and other scripting languages as well.

Cons

* It is expensive. If the company does not pay for that software, I do not believe that I will afford to use that software

It was good, now it worse

This is my main (yet) IDE for last 6 years, so it is my kind of Swiss-army knife for development .

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is JAVA IDE and unified platform for other languages IDE like PyCharm (Python), HTML/Javascript (WebStorm), C/C++ (CLion) etc. Back in the days it was the most powerful and flexible IDE with a lot of features out of the box, modular structure that allows to extend functionality using plugins, very convenient editor with autocomplete and syntax highlighting, tools to run, debug and profile code and many more. Last not least it had reasonable price and discounts.

Cons

Now days it becomes a little monster working pretty unstable and slow, with regular freezes and crashes. Developers communication with user community is pretty poor, requests for highly-demanded features are actually ignored for years, fundamental problems (like freezes) not fixed from release to release. Price model was changed, so fast-growing Visual Studio Code becomes more and more attractive alternative to JetBrain IDEs.

"There is a plugin for that."

I'm quite happy with it, while it is not the cheapest out there, it certainly worth the price.

Pros

It is great to have pretty much any language in a single IDE, it supports plenty of them PHP, Java, Kotlin, Android, Cordova, Go and so on. The autocompletion, and error checking is second to none.

Cons

Sometimes when it lost connection (access token) to github it randomly asks for the password again, without giving proper context.

IntelliJ IDEA review

I'm developing automated UI tests with it in Java for my company.

Pros

Very userfriendly and easy to use UI. It has endless plugins to add.

Cons

Error messages could be more detailed and helpful.

The most impressive software for Developers

It's simply great! Once you get to know all opportunities and functionalities of the software, it helps you to be more productive with less effort.

Pros

It's a simple software when you get used to it. It has a several number of functionalities, integrations and it's very helpful for developers. I use Java, JavaEE, JSF, PrimeFaces, Hibernate and several features, and this software is quite impressive.

Cons

The learning curve is quite long, but this is not a big issue.

Great application to work on

Overall experience has been amazing I definitely recommend this to my friends and beginners to start coding with .

Pros

Vast number of plugins available Easier to make user define Plugins . Easier to debug code and auto Complete feature .

Cons

Even after all the great pros the application still i feel the price is quite high . Not memory friendly i feel .

Best in class Java IDE

IntelliJ is a day in and day out workhouse for software development

Pros

Great syntax highlighting, search and code suggestions

Cons

It's a little laggy to include updates that are already released in WebStorm No built in C# support

Most intelligent IDE I have ever used

As a Java learner, IntelliJ really makes it easy for me to debug my code and get started quicker.

Pros

The autocomplete is amazing, and the debugger is super intelligent and makes it super easy to find bugs and fix unintended behaviors. There are also plenty of plugins that make it more useful than just Java and Kotlin.

Cons

I have had issues with configuration files corrupting, causing the project to fall apart, but this shouldn't normally happen in regular use.

A great tool for Java & Android development

My overall experience is very good with IntelliJ IDEA since it makes my life easier with its user-friendly features such as GUI.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is a very developer-friendly IDE. You literally have every feature that is necessary for a Java-based application for your mobile phone or desktop.

Cons

It takes a little time to get used to this IDE since it has so many features. Along with that, IntelliJ IDEA requires some good amount of harddrive, RAM, and CPU to run.

IntelliJ was a game changer at our desk.

We implemented intelliJ for java development at our desk. Its been almost 18 months since our team is working on Jetbrains intelliJ, and their support is outstanding. Jetbrains is innovating new things, and the UI progressively changes over time with much more improved features. Whenever we are having problem, we are able to reach out to IntelliJ support, and get our issue solved as fast and prompted.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is great for coding. IntelliJ is more than just an IDE, it gives the code completion as we type. If there's any error on the code, it gives the suggestion on what's wrong, and simply pressing 'alt+enter' we are able see the options to fix the error. Also, its easy to refactor code as we write it. With IntelliJ we are being able to implement interfaces, create methods and rename anything...

Cons

Really nothing of note as cons. The only things that concerns me is the pricing. The community edition of IntelliJ offers basic features, though we needs further features to integrate with Java Eclipse or Java Enterprise, which requires a premium plan and is bit costly.

IntelliJ products are perfect for the multi-language developer

Overall, IntelliJ IDEA has been a staple in my toolkit and without it, I'm not sure I'd have gotten as far in my career given how powerful it is. It really forces you to learn more about the code you write instead of having to familiarize yourself with IDE features (I came from Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 back in the day) and it forces you to write quality code so you can take advantage of the amazing features such as find/replace and the various refactoring tools (which vary by IDE, i.e. Resharper for the C languages, but there are some core features available in every IntelliJ IDE). Additionally, you save a ton of time using the aforementioned refactoring tools.

Pros

- Learn IntelliJ IDEA, and you're good for every other product. - So many options for almost every language, for example you have PhpStorm, WebStorm, CLion, and many more. - They're always improving their core features such as search and their terminal (which allows you to connect to any of PowerShell, Git Bash, or Command Prompt) - There's no shortage of themes. They've even somewhat recently introduced...

Cons

Honestly, IntelliJ products have really helped me through my professional career and I've built so much of my knowledge around their products, so I can't really call anything a con because not only have they built the fundamental infrastructure of my knowledge using IDEs, other IDEs copy them. They're widely recognized as the gold standard in (somewhat) open-source IDEs. I will say it being built with...

IntelliJ IDEA for Java Programer

Overall intellij IDEA is the best programming software to professional programers.It is the favorite one of to me.It also very helpful tool to amateur programers to professional programmers.It feel me like my programming partner while I programming .It so smart and intelligent there for Its knows my next step and adapt to my coding style quickly.

Pros

Software developing is my part time income methode.Most of the time I use java as my main programming language because its very efficient and one of the commonly using programming language in the market.There for i need a high level programming software or a IDE for java programming .Few days ago Netbeans is my daily driver.But seen after the functionality and smartness of Intellij IDEA I moved on...

Cons

Still I did not able to found any thing which disappointe me.But I like to have it more trial period because I not experience whole area of functionality of it.I like the interface of the software but I would like to be it much more user friendly because it will very helpful to amateur programmers.Also it must interdiuse it shortcuts and functions while it programming first.I think it must inbuilt the link of supportive software and parties like Boostrap,Jquery.It is much helpful when offline coding.

Awesome IDE for your daily JAVA related development

I am very pleased with IntelliJ IDEA after moving from Eclipse. Which is also a great tool but I love how smooth IntelliJ IDEA runs on my MacBook Pro. This is one of the best experience I have with an IDE

Pros

I like how intelligently it suggests, and it's features which include awesome code completions, as well as intuitive way to integrate plugins for different tools. It also includes gigantic amount of shortcuts, when you're familiar with them makes your day to day life pretty easy. Attractive interface along with the debugging capabilities for JAVA makes this the go to tool for any developer. This also has version control included, which smoothens the process of a Software developer by a great deal

Cons

Some plugins take huge amount of memory, so if you're on a machine which does not have enough power, you might not get the fullest experience. Hence you're encouraged to use a powerful machine for this Extremely Helpful software to run properly

Great software but too heavy on resources

Overal is a great tool, but for the price paid I would expect a bit more care on the resources consumption section, since not always you are able to use a machine with 64 GB of RAM and an I9 CPU.

Pros

Intellij is a really complete tool for java development; It offers great integrations to work with Maven, Hibernate and so on and the git integration for version controll is great. On the configuration side, it offers a really great amount of options, for example for the code formatter, code generation and other code-cosmetics stuff. Besides you can also create config for another great bunch of stuff...

Cons

Well, the main cons are the high amount of resources needed for this software, which makes that sometimes the IDE itself stuck for several minutes while it finished processing something. Also I found out that when you have multiple breakpoints set in the code, it also consumes a lot of RAM even when you're not debugging. Besides this, the great amount of features of the software makes complicate to learn how to use it. Also at some point after close the program it fails on terminating the Java process, so you ended with a bunch of java executions on the background

The other half of any Java developer's brain

IDEA has been my go-to Java editor for school and work, and for good reason. Of all the Java IDEs out there, IDEA is the one that truly makes the 'integrated environment' part of 'IDE' a reality by giving you full control over your code -- rather than the other way around.

Pros

When IntelliJ markets IDEA as 'the intelligent Java IDE', they aren't exaggerating. It has the best autocomplete of any IDE I've ever used, beating out the likes of Visual Studio with suggestions that are exactly what I need 99% of the time. But by far my favourite part of IDEA's intelligence are its code suggestions, which will tell you if you've made weird or inefficient choices with your code. This...

Cons

The most immediately frustrating thing about IntelliJ is its startup time. It's not abysmally slow, but in a world where editors like Visual Studio Code and Sublime Text exist with lightning-fast startup times, waiting for IDEA to boot up can be less-than-ideal. Many times, I've resorted to just opening up my Java files in Notepad for small edits because I couldn't be bothered to spend more time opening...

Best IDE for Software Development

Pros

Intellij is one of the Best IDE available for Free. There is a long list of feature that make it a great tool for application development. It`s Editor user-friendly with a list of shortcuts to help developer move quickly between files and perform task without taking hand off the keyboard. It support Code Colouring that visually help a lot in writing efficient and effective code. But the most...

Cons

In my experience this tool is a great and must have requirement for a software . But sometimes having a huge list of functionality can be the downside also. In certain cases like working on a large file features like code colour styling, code completion, code inspection slow down editor's functionality. I encounters big amount of ram usage in such cases and need to manually collaborate it by switching off some of its functionality. Another is that code of its premium features. For a freelancers it is very costly to purchase the license and in the end the left looking for the alternatives.

Full-featured and indeed smart IDE. It just works and thus makes my programming easier.

It simply made my work easier. From small details like 'smartly' renaming files, to multi-line text selection all the way to performance, advanced settings and support for all kinds of features and plug-ins.

Pros

- What I like most are the shortcuts. Every other IDE also has shortcuts but IntelliJ (and Jetbrains generally) has done a great job with theirs. At least for men, they seem intuitive. - Offers many, many features but still manages to have a great performance. - Sounds trivial, but the settings are well structured and searchable! Almost everything is customizable and if not there is probably a plugin...

Cons

- The product is constantly updated, which is a good thing but it is somewhat bothersome. Of course they have to ask the user,, but would be nice if it just updated without prompting, at least for smaller updates. -The integrated console its fine, but (at least on Windows) it sometimes lags and stops working. Not that often, but it happens. - Co-workers that used another IDE, usually complained...

Review for IntelliJ

I am using IlluminationCloud extension with IntelliJ to create Salesforce features using Salesforce DX.

Pros

It's a powerful one for development. It has all the extension to work on. Using this can develop, debug, deploy and test the product. Most of the tools are available to do the formatting, styling, copyright and pretty much everything that we need for development.

Cons

Slow because of grasp more memory. Sometimes it very hard to reset the initial configuration.

The best IDE there is!

The best IDE in my opinion to develop Java, Python, Scala and Android applications

Pros

IntelliJ is really intelligent. It supports Java and Python very well and it looks good doing it. Settings are arranged logically and cohesively (unlike Eclipse) and within a matter of few days, one will learn how to get around the IDE. Feature list is also pretty extensive. Built in FTP uploads of artifacts, column mode selection, multiple cursors for hyper edits and a pretty decent built in Git client. What's awesome is that it also includes Android Studio! The plugin ecosystem is also rich. There are plugins for almost everything. For e.g., there is a multi runner plugin that runs multiple build configurations at the click of a button. Scala plugin is pretty good!

Cons

- This can be a memory hog sometimes - A little buggy sometimes as well. For example, in version 12, I found out the hard way that the IDE was not passing in the maven surefire and failsafe properties to Junit. Spent a bit of time trying to understand why the tests were failing even though everything was in the right place Another example was in v11. The IDE deleted my codebase! There is still a thread running on this topic on their forums and apparently, the problem still exists (though I have never experienced it in the newer versions) - Sold on a subscription which is not that great. However, since this is the software I use to make money, I guess it's ok. Nevertheless, I feel the subscription is on the expensive side.

“The best, agile code editor for JAVA developers”

IntelliJ IDEA is the best programming software for JAVA developers which I have completed 8+ projects using this software. I have been using this software for a long period of time and I am very happy about this software as this software develops all the time when new JAVA versions are arriving. I hope u all try this software and experience the incredible features of this software.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is an amazing software that I usually use to analyze codes as it owns a code analyzer especially to identify errors. This software is very helpful to beginners as it has good support for code making with good assistance. Hence it is very convenient and easy to use. Some of the features I interested most about this software are duplicate detection, astute code completion ability, possessed...

Cons

This software is a bit expensive, and sometimes it is lagging when I am running large projects in this software. It uses a large amount of memory for some plugins and intensive use of resources are the main downsides I have noticed. The learning curve is a bit lengthy and it is difficult for beginners and I hope it is better to notify the UI of this software as it is hard for beginners.

IntelliJ IDEA personal opinion

I am using IDEA from 2004 and I could say that it is best Java Development Environment ever invented. Their team improves software every time as new Java version is appearing, and every time somebody finds a new issue in IDE. They have very democratic policy of using IDEA ultimate version for free. If you're a student or educational person, or even a scientist - you can use full version of IDE for free. Also if you're buying it - during a year JetBrains team could give you a discount coupon, so next year will be much cheaper for you.

Pros

- Self explanatory menu - A lot of documentation in help section as well as helpful information on jetBrains forums and Jira - Easy to remember hot keys for managing files and classes creation and renaming - very smart code indexing so the IDE could do a very detailed precompiled analysys - IDEA is integrated with other language development tools like - any SQL client, JavaScript files code analysys, maven/gradle/ant scripting support - IDE is working on any known popular OS without any problems - Windows, Mac and all versions of linux are working nice

Cons

- Sometimes file index mechanism is not working correctly - in this case I should call "Validate and Restart" procedure for IDEA. It usually takes time even on fast computers. - Sometimes IDEA fails updating application dependency when common Maven script was updated, In this case I should manually check/uncheck option in settings menu to make IDEA refresh code and dependency changes automatically

Vital for Javascript and Java

Pros

1. It can help find references in the dynamic crazyness of Javascript. It isn't perfect, but from what I have seen others using (Atom, sublimetext, eclipse, etc.) it is the best. It also has most JS stuff ready to go instead of fiddling around with installing all sorts of third party plugins. 2. It is easy to split tabs vertically or horizontally and move them around. 3. Search is pretty powerful....

Cons

1. Indexing. One of the larger projects we have can get into this indexing stage that takes minutes and you can't really do anything else. Usually this won't happen unless you are starting from scratch but it comes around maybe once a month for me. 2. Some may consider it bloated. It has a lot of features hidden in the preferences panel and various menus. 3. If you use react I think FB's editor will most likely be better. But for nodejs or normal JS I doubt it can compare. Disclosure I haven't used Nuclide much.

I have been using IntelliJ as my main Java IDE for the past 2 years for a variety of projects.

The ability to explore enterprise-grade software and develop marketable skills.

Pros

The first thing you see when loading into IntelliJ you notice it is very visually appealing, I personally use the default dark theme with a few minor tweaks. It incorporates a window based system that allows you to have multiple files open as well as a multitude of tools included in the Ultimate Edition. When creating a project you are able to choose from a list of templates including all of the Spring...

Cons

My main gripe with IntelliJ is its ease of use. Its many features create a steep learning curve to be able to fully utilize its enterprise-targeted tools. Documentation exists for it but it is often as obscure as the feature its self. But once you are able to get a grasp you will find the tools are all well built and include the necessary customization which you dreaded at first but have come to love.

Exceptional

I use it for all development, and though I could intergrate it with SQL (and have done) that is one area I havent fully moved over to, but for other languages its my goto IDE.

Pros

Without this, I dread to think what my workload and productivity would be like. Im sure I could find alternatives, but who knows. They have great customer server and helped me out when I first started with some extended trials whilst on probation at a job. I have been using it professionally for many years now, and even today I find new features it can do. To learn all the functionality of their tools is impressive and worth doing.

Cons

It takes a while to get used to, and I remember disliking transitioning to this from my previous software. It took a while, but once I started finding some of its functionality, I began to appreciate it more.