IntelliJ IDEA

Integrated development environment for Java developers

IntelliJ IDEA Reviews - Page 4

A professional and stable tool for Java-based development

For 3 years, it has been my day-to-day tool for development - my job is mostly focused on software enginnering using the Java platform. IntelliJ helps me improve my coding speed and correctness compared to other IDEs or simpler code editors. Also it helps me automate many processes with can get tedious easily if done manually.

Pros

I think IntelliJ supports all of the features you may expect from a professional Java IDE. It is a super stable tool that helps you boost your productivity. On top of that it also has support for a variety of extra languages via plugins, so it's not just about Java.

Cons

I tend to dislike big IDEs since they simply have too much things stuffed in them: one hardly uses 10% of that. Also they add complexity and computing overhead, however with IntelliJ I've found a good balance of simplicity and resources consumption not found elsewhere. I only dislike the startup time - it's high. If they could offer its capabilities layered (eg. minimal, standard, pro, advanced, etc.), that would be great.

Only real option for Scala

IntelliJ is used by the engineers to write all our code, which is primarily written in Scala. IntelliJ helps us understand the code better by displaying type annotations, highlighting on syntax or compile errors, and making the code traversable so that variables and functions are "clickable", meaning you can jump to their definition or implementation. These features help our engineers develop 10x faster than if they weren't using IntelliJ.

Pros

If you are a Scala user, IntellIj simply has the best Scala integration hands down. Yes, I've tried all the other ones including VSCode with the Metals integration. But only IntelliJ has complete feature support for coding in Scala bug-free. Besides that, IntelliJ supports other dynamically typed languages such as Java and Go very well, but I wouldn't say they require the developer to use IntelliJ as developing in Scala does.

Cons

It utilizes tons of memory and power. On my Macbook Pro, it accounts for over 4% of my battery use uses over 4 GB or RAM.

intellij IDEA is the best in developing for Java Application

Pros

I like this product since it upholds kotlin and local java code for creating android applications and I like how its coordinated for convenience from noobie clients and expert clients particularly design supervisor which isn't accessible in different programming projects

Cons

I didnt like how intellij thought use alot of assets on low end PCs and it freezes in the present circumstance and now and again it works however sluggish

Intellij is a great JAVA IDEA that helps me to developer better code

Pros

Not only a great JAVA IDEA but also Intellij has support for other program languages like php, html, javascript. It has lots of plugins that helps the software developer to produce better code, like Sonar review for instance.

Cons

It is light compared with Eclipse and NetBeans and has more plugings and a better community of users.

A fully-featured IDE that does everything you need

We use IntelliJ IDEA every day for development, and absolutely love it.

Pros

JetBrains IDEs always stand out with their wide range of features out of the box, and incredible coding hints and suggestions when you've done something wrong.

Cons

JetBrains IDEs are quite resource intensive, and can sometimes be a little slow, especially when working on large projects.

Best IDE for multi-language development work

It is the best IDE out there in the market. Just get IntelliJ IDE Ultimate and enjoy coding in almost any popular languages.

Pros

1. Support for multiple languages not just Java (Scala, python etc.) 2. Myraid of plug-ins 3. Easy to jump in the code. 4. In-built terminal, Git support and Local History of files.

Cons

1. Resources (takes too much RAM/CPU if you open multiple projects) 2. Installing new plugins requires restarting the IDE.

IDE to help manage the code

As a software developer its very good experience to use Intellij as you addict to it once start using it.

Pros

Intellij IDEA is very helpful to manage the code, develop the code and also its giving lot of inbuilt plugin which will save lot of time for the software developer.

Cons

Sometimes for the large size application Intellij IDEA wont respond for 15 to 20 secs, which is not much bothered compared to the advantages its providing.

Best IDE for JAVA.

It's the best software for everyone who loves to code and doesn't wanna waste time on irrelevant stuff like reminding imports or like that. I have been using this software so along in MacBook and it's wonderful experience and will suggest this software for development purpose.

Pros

Intelli J is an amazing IDE for Developers beat its UI, interactiveness, and a lot of good features. 1. Shortcuts and autocomplete code helps and save time also. 2. File hopping is quite easier and TODO allows to track all action items. 3. MAVEN features can be accessed separately with a complete lifecycle. 4. At last Key Promopter feature is the amazing one which allows to let us know if something gets wrongly clicked.

Cons

There are no cons in Intelli J, it's perfect software.

Best paid IDE I've ever used

I've worked in a software development business and IntelliJ has been the perfect tool for working fast and a good partner because sometimes looks like I don't even have to write some things because the IDE just suggest what I want to write.

Pros

I'd liked the easy that was the instalation process I customized the IDE theme just selecting a dark one just after that I could initiate the developing process just clicking start new proyect the app lets you select between a lot of differents innitial configurations that make you save a lot of time. Other pro is the quick access to the console and I think that the best one is the bigger amount of differentes pluggins that can be installed for making easier your development process.

Cons

Something that is been hard it's to use shortcouts on mac, because some of the keys combinations are the same that the OS uses by default. Other thing to improve is because for example in my university some of my friends doesn't have the most updated computers and in old computers the program goes to slow, I think that a lighter version could be a good option.

The best IDE that I have used for experience users of IDE's

I have had a excellent experience with IntelliJ IDEA as a Java software developer, I still have so much to learn about this software to make my working workflows much easier.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is the greatest IDE I have ever used as a software developer it has amazing features with a lot of other software like Maven, Gravel and many others products that integrate with IntelliJ IDEA flawlessly everything works perfect. As well I have a very good experience with all the customization that IntelliJ IDEA has for the users, there are so many customization options that it may take up to some weeks to have everything as you want.

Cons

Sometimes so many options it gets very crowded the screen and as mentioned also as a great feature of IntelliJ IDEA sometimes for people having so much stuff makes the product a little bit hard to work with but this depends on personal matters.

Great application to work on

Overall experience has been amazing I definitely recommend this to my friends and beginners to start coding with .

Pros

Vast number of plugins available Easier to make user define Plugins . Easier to debug code and auto Complete feature .

Cons

Even after all the great pros the application still i feel the price is quite high . Not memory friendly i feel .

The powerhouse IDE

From writing Java and Groovy code, or even jenkins pipeline. It ease up the writing of the code!

Pros

IDEA is a complete IDE. It doesn't only cover Java, but pretty much any language with proper plugin. Ho did I mention plugin! This IDE is full of them.

Cons

Licences for IDEA are a bit expensive. Yes you get a super IDE. But still, the price is a bit too much.

My favorite IDE for coding

I have really easily transferred from the previous IDE to Intellij

Pros

I’ve tried a lot of IDEs over the years and there were a couple of good ones. But I have to say that my current favourite is Intellij. First of all, it is easy to navigate and use, the UI is rich but intuitive. Intellij supports a lot of different plugins and frameworks so pretty much everything is covered. I myself work on Java Spring, something that is really very well supported in Intellij. I like the design and code completion which I find really good. I have no wish to get back to other IDEs after Intellij

Cons

I've found no cons with this software, it is a real pleasure using it.

A powerful IDE loaded with features

The ease of coding and development speed using IntelliJ is something that the competitors cannot stand a chance against. It does not consume too much of RAM, thus performing extremely well and not crashing from time to time.

Pros

It is loaded with features, and there are many other plugins that you can load. There are many keyboard shortcuts to speed up development. It performs extremely well, much better than its competitors.

Cons

It is a commercial IDE and the license is considerably expensive. Its interface is a bit heavy and I found it a little bit difficult to navigate through it, especially in the beginning, so the learning curve is a bit steep.

The best IDE on the market!

I use IDE to program in Java, daily, I initially used the student license, which is good for those who are still in college, and then I started to pay and I do not regret it.

Pros

The jetbrains IDEs are very intuitive, and full of options. I really like to open the database tables next to the code I'm writing. The autocomplete are very accurate; I use IDE for at least 3 years, and I do not have to complain, and over time I discover new facilities.

Cons

Many options and tools, a beginner can get lost, but after learning is very useful!

Leader of the IDE Pack

Despite the shortcomings, IntelliJ IDEA is the best Java IDE on the market. JetBrains makes fantastic software products, and this is no exception.

Pros

- Tons of features to help you increase productivity - fantastic auto complete functionality, easy to jump to different pieces of code, automated refactoring tools, and static code analysis to identify issues, among others - Lots of configurability on things like syntax highlighting and positioning of tool windows make it easy to view your code the way you'd like - By far the best option available if you want to use Kotlin, which is reason enough alone to use IntelliJ

Cons

- Configurations and preferences interface is not quite as intuitive as it is for Eclipse - Debugger leaves something to be desired, as Step Over / In / Out work differently than in just about any other debugger I've worked with (same problem for all JetBrains IDEs)

The most versatile IDE ever

Pros

Functionality. This is the best IDE with functionality out of the box. While installation, IDE allows you to quickly customize language packs, plugins and even install prepared setup for particular development (mobile, web, Java, Android and etc.). Hotkeys and shortcuts make this software the most customizable and agile to your needs. However, you can do the same things for instance in VS or Eclipse, but it will require more time to setup, install and use. Deep integration with debugging/decompilation/SCM/CI tools, whats allow you to work without switching into other apps.

Cons

Community Edition provides the most required features, but my favorite is Professional, which is costly. The license is pretty high for private use and company as well. For big projects, IDE lags a lot. Possibly require some speed up for internal indexes processing.

Intellij IDea: The Magnificent Java Ide I have Ever Worked With

I really love the Intellij Idea and i use it for all my Java programming, every new update comes along with super sexy features that makes this software a top ide in the programming field.

Pros

The Intellij IDea Ide(integrated development environment) is so unique for so many reasons one of which is the user interface, it has a very good user interface that makes any programmer in love with the process of coding, it has the ability to structure your program files and put all the contents in a single file to make sure everything is in it's rightful place, it has static code analysis and provides pleasant coloring to your code which makes it easier to read and to distinguish between the programming language keywords and normal written codes thereby making you aware of the complete structure of your code. its ergonomic design not only makes the development productive but also enjoyable.

Cons

Its not a good platform for people learning programming/beginners. why? Because incase of errors, it highlights and show you where your errors are and possible solutions which is not advisable for the amateur,technically this Ide is for the professionals in this domain who know what they are doing and not any ordinary programmer.

Greate Software for Java Enterprise Applicaiton Development

I would recommend using this software if one needs faster and seamless development and the company is ready to pay money for it.

Pros

1. The IntelliJ IDEA provides improved productivity by delivering the most intuitive code assistance for all the supported languages. 2. Speed and performance are too cool as compared to other IDEs like Eclipse. It has a built-in keyboard shortcuts for almost everything and we can create the custom ones. 3. There is something called EditorConfig in it that allows us to manage all code...

Cons

1. As we add new Maven dependencies we need to refresh the project in order to get them into effect. But in other IDEs like Eclipse and STS(Spring Tool Suite) you just need to save the pom.xml file and that's it. 2. You have to pay money to access all its nice features.

The Best,Powerful and smart IDE that I ever used.

I really love Intellij IDEA i have been using it for years and i really love it, and after each update its getting better and better so , and i use it everyday to develop android apps and i also use it for testing other java codes too, so overall intellij is the best IDE that i ever used.

Pros

I really love its code completion because that the first thing that came to my mind , and i really love the keyboard shortcuts, there are lots if them because of that i barely use the mouse its really easy to code just with keyboard, and i really like that i can change from dark mode to white mode themes it makes it easier to code in day and night.

Cons

sometimes i get some errors while compiling and it doesn't show why its happening so i have to do a restart more often, and there are some bugs while indexing after adding new files and folders to the current project, but with the new update, its getting better.

There's no comparing

Enterprise level JAVA & Angular software development.

Pros

Jampacked with features, great build tool support, logging, debugging, development in many languages.

Cons

Build consistency is sometimes an issue, with the internal cache ruining things. Luckily a "invalidate caches & restart" usually fixes it.

IntelliJ IDEA: An excellent choice for your IDE

My team all uses IntelliJ to maintain/create automation code to test our products. Oftentimes when we get a new software tester they have never used an IDE before. Because IntelliJ is so intuitive to use, we are able to get new hires up to speed very quickly, making the hire an asset to the team quickly. This saves our company money/saves everyone time, something I greatly appreciate.

Pros

I love everything about IntelliJ. Key-code shortcuts make navigating your code easy, error messages are color coded which make it obvious what your issue is and where it is, and branch management is intuitive. Your project structure and settings are laid out in a way that makes changing settings to your project easy. Aside from all of the excellent functional features, I find the IDE aesthetically pleasing. Since I use this software every day, this is important to me!

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about this software.

The Winner of the Battle for Best Java Developement IDE

I recommend IntelliJ products to everyone in real life who asks for an IDE suggestion, but especially I feel safe recommending IDEA. I feel safe because I know that they will be blown away with just how much it does, and how customizable it is.

Pros

1. It's FREE for students! If you have a .edu email you can download and use this at no cost, which is incredible for how complex and valuable the software is. 2. Allows you to seamlessly integrate JUnit testing and other frameworks into your Java projects. Relatedly, project structuring is made very easy. 3. It makes refactoring a breeze. Want to change a variable name in twelve different spots at once? Shift+F6 baby! 4. The auto suggestions basically program for you, and the shortcuts let you build typical, wordy structures in a tap of your fingers.

Cons

It does such a shocking amount for you that it's actually a con for new programmers. Partly because it's overwhelming, but mostly because it actually pretty much programs for you with its suggestions, which prevents a new programmer from really learning the reason behind things. This is a rather arbitrary con though, and if you're familiar with the basics of Java, I strongly encourage you to dive right in.

Best-in-class Java IDE

I started with eclipse and never looked back.

Pros

IDEA is a very fully-featured IDE with fast autocompletion that makes you feel like you're flying while writing Java code. Keyboard shortcuts are sensible and addicting and VCS integration is pretty good but not as good as a dedicated Git client like Tower or GitHub desktop. Debugging and build system is also designed well. Overall, it's probably the best in its class. IDEA isn't just a Java IDE, you can also install plugins for other languages and you'll be able to use features that are in other JetBrains IDEs for those languages, which means that it can also act as a polyglot IDE.

Cons

IDEA can be a resource hog (to the point where it's noticeable if you aren't at a workstation or something), but honestly that's kind of the norm for such a full-featured IDE.

One of the best JAVA IDE, totally worth the money.

This IDE saves a considerable amount of time in software development and improves developer's productivity.

Pros

Supports all major Java frameworks very well; Excellent code assistance, easy run/debug configurations; Awesome VCS integrations; Makes writing Java code a breeze!

Cons

Somehow un-intuitive project management, i.e. creating/deleting /importing a project is not that easy and intuitive, especially deleting a project, it has to be done manually. Does not build automatically, one has to build/recompile modified classes manually to be able to code hot-reload (especially when using Jrebel), which also means that compilation error is only reported on manual build/compile. Can't open multiple projects in the same window (like Eclipse). Error and warning reporting is not centralized and not well supported, should learn a little bit from how Eclipse does it.