Virtru Logo

DATA SHARING, PRIVACY, AND INNOVATION. SECURED.

Virtru Reviews

Suggested alternatives

hyperproof
standardfusion
onspring

This software is super user friendly providing clients with an awesome experience and easy accessibility to secure, important information.
Customer support is some of the most prompt, knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful I've ever encountered. That makes up for the rare times when VIRTRU gets cranky, LOL.
I have heard from many recipients that they have difficulty accessing them and it's not obvious to me as the sender why this happens. The messages often go to a spam or junk folder.

Kyle F.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Encrypted emails all from your inbox!

Overall Virtru is my go to email encryption solution. It really give peace of mind when you need to send sensitive information

Pros

Alows you to send encrypted emails natively inside gmail inbox. This will also encrypt any attachments you add also!

Cons

Since this is essentially a browser extension there are some weird bugs that happen, but most of these are dealt with a simple off and on of your browser.

EJ

Erica J.

Biotechnology, 51-200 employees

Pleased - so far so good

I have been using Virtru for 3 years and primarily send medical records to patients. Overall, it's been very positive but as I mentioned, we have had to develop clear instructions to make it more user friendly for our patients and partners.

Pros

Pros: - it's easy to set up and train new team members to use. - when toggled on/off it's very clear with the color change which setting you have it on - it is a simple process to revoke an email. I like that you don't need to visit the dashboard to do so - I reached out for customer support and received timely responses

Cons

Cons: - Sometimes there is an issue with attachments. I have heard from many recipients that they have difficulty accessing them and it's not obvious to me as the sender why this happens - the messages often go to a spam or junk folder - it's not always clear when an email has been accessed - there isn't an option to export or easily filter messages in the dashboard - once you have accessed a secure message it's easy after that, but it can be confusing for first time users. I have had to start sending instructions about how to retrieve the passcode, but it results in frustration from time to time. patients just want to read their message. they don't want to jump through hoops to do it. - if sending from an alias, you cannot tell which person read it

MG

Maricel G.

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

Not that Functional

Pros

It’s function to secure privacy of my email was not relevant for me. Other recipients (does not have virtru) outside my company is having hard time accesing my email though my email is intended for all the recipients. There are still other software which is better than this.

Cons

I don’t like that when virtru is enabled I still have to click another botton in order to send my email. It took longer to load the email before I can read which is not helping for me.

CM

Christian M.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Protection Made Easy

We are in the mental health business and have the confines of HIPAA to pay attention to. Virtru is a product that allows staff to deliver sensitive reports to other medical providers in our area in a secure manner. I also value this added layer of protection for email within the agency - to protect information at all times.

Pros

The extension into Chrome and working seamlessly with Gmail is wonderful. The ability to set controls and even making sent mail disappear after 10 days is outstanding. I value that everyone receiving can easily open our encrypted email and not have to deal with another user ID and password. This product is very sophisticated.

Cons

Once in a while the extension disappears from Chrome. I have had a number of employees suddenly no longer have Virtru installed and wondering how to get it back. While not that hard to "reinstall", it is bothersome that this occurs.

HH

Heather H.

Machinery, 51-200 employees

Convenient and easy

I love virtru because it is so easy and accessible and secure.

Pros

I love that this is integrated directly into my outlook so when I create a new email all I have to do is click the virtru button and it sends my email encrypted. I can also search for previous emails specifically sent with virtru within outlook.

Cons

There have been a few instances when I have used virtru to send emails outside of the organization and the recipients were for whatever reason unable to open the message or attachment. I'm not sure if it was due to user error or not though.

MC

Matthew C.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

User friendly encryption

It has been a pretty solid product. There are some hiccups here and there, as is the case with anything, but I am happy with the experience.

Pros

It is very easy to use. All you need to do is click a button and you are good to go. It seems pretty secure and, by and large, it is a reliable program.

Cons

Occasionally, Virtu will lag or not work at all. I was ready to write this off as me having issues with my own bandwidth, but my colleagues working from home would tell me they were having similar issues at the same time. Another is issue is people to whom I send encrypted emails who do not have a Virtu account sometimes have difficulty opening emails. I don't know if this is because of user error on their end, software error, or if the instructions for non-account holders are difficult to follow.

JA

Jennifer A.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Great service, easy to use

Positive experience, only frustration is when sending to someone, they can't open the message on their phone the first time which I wish we would have known up front.

Pros

The best feature is the ease of use. I have used other privacy software in the past that left me feeling frustrated and confused. Virtru is user friendly but still provides the security we need in a healthcare setting.

Cons

You can't open a private message on your phone :(

LM

Lonnie M.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Use of Virtu in Mental Health

Overall the experience has been good using Virtru in our office.

Pros

Our Agency utilities Virtru to encrypt our emails that contain protected health information. For the most part this is effective tool, it is easy to use for the user. I like the feature that if you accidentally send it to the wrong email that you can retract the email without worry about HIPAA violation.

Cons

Some of the providers that we send our enrypted emails to have trouble opening them epscially if they are using IPAD for email so I wish this could be resolved.

LC

Lance C.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

EASY solution for HIPAA-compliant emails

Product is GREAT for ease of use. Customer support is some of the most prompt, knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful I've ever encountered. That makes up for the rare times when VIRTRU gets cranky, LOL!

Pros

We use VIRTRU with OUTLOOK Desktop; with one click of a button (or none, using the default setting) ALL emails are encrypted AUTOMATICALLY and received, decrypted AUTOMATICALLY. No extra steps - very time-saving!!

Cons

VIRTRU will, at times, save the email you though you sent to the DRAFTS folder without alerting you that it has done so. We chose to accept that anomaly and simply work around it; we moved out DRAFTS folder so that is visually right above our INBOX. That way, you never miss that that anomaly happened.

TY

Tess Y.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Functional Encryption to Keep Your Data Safe!

Virtru allows us to include multiple elements of PHI in our communication without concerns that HIPAA will be breached. Our IT department thoroughly vetted the product and we're confident that Virtru provides compliance we can depend on.

Pros

Easy to use product. I've encountered few issues with recipient access to encrypted e-mails. At-a-glance confirmation that Virtru is enabled or has been utilized on an e-mail thread.

Cons

Did experience a .dll conflict with an older version of Windows but no issues since then.

LH

Lakesha H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Virtu Power User Review

My overall experience with Virtu has been good. The huge benefit that I get from this feature is the ease of encrypting my e-mails.

Pros

The Virtu icon feature that’s contained within the composed e-mail is most impactful. With a click of a button, I’m able to encrypt my e-mails. I enjoy the reminder to secure or not secure before sending my e-mails.

Cons

The feature that I least like about the software is when I’m replying to a sender’s e-mail, as soon as I hit reply the message from the sender disappears. It’s annoying because I like to see the message from the sender below my reply message so that I can respond to all their questions without having unlock the message from the sender, wait to receive an e-mail for verify myself, then receive a pop-up of the sender’s e-mail again. So I’m opening the same e-mail twice.

HL

Heather L.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Virtru gives us peace of mind when sharing patients private information!

My overall experience with Virtru has been a good one. I would recommend to any medical facility to use Virtru to protect their patients private information.

Pros

Virtru is very user friendly. I have not had any problems at all with this software. I love that it allows for us to send our patients private information safely and securely.

Cons

Every once in a while we will have a recipient state that they cannot open up the attachment that we have sent through Virtru but that is not very often.

DT

Denise T.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Virtru Review

Overall, within the last two and half years that I’ve been using this extension on google for my job, I haven’t had any trouble with it.

Pros

I like that it is easy to use and install. It’s a safer way for us to send patient information by sending referrals through emails instead of faxes.

Cons

The thing I like least about this software is that it is harder to open up emails on other devices other than a computer.

BS

Betsy S.

Individual & Family Services, 51-200 employees

Only encryption tool i use.

Pros

I love that you can have Virtru added to your outlook and it takes only 1- click to encrypt your emails. Local govt. agencies use it as well which makes it more convenient. super easy to add to your gmail as well.

Cons

some times it detects random numbers in the emails and asks you to encrypt unnecessarily, but you can also disregard this message and send your email without encryption if not needed.

TS

Todd S.

Government Administration, 501-1,000 employees

Great Product

They have been great to work with.

Pros

Simple and easy integration... No need to change MX records or alter hosting options.

Cons

PLEASE bring back support for Firefox... Not everyone enjoys Chrome.

AD

Amy D.

Easy to Use

We are healthcare and Virtru makes our emails HIPAA compliant.

Pros

It is very simple to use and can be used with any platform.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a little while for messages to decrypt. If the recipient is not a user they sometimes have difficulty in opening emails.

HJ

Hannah J.

Mental Health Care, 201-500 employees

Convenient

Pros

I appreciate that Virtru can be integrated into my Outlook and can autodecrypt without requiting a password on a separate window each time. Saves lots of time and frustration!

Cons

I wish I could view previous emails in the thread more easily. When an email I am responding to is long or has several parts, I often have to paste it into my response so I can remember what I'm responding to.

HR

Heather R.

We love it

We will continue to use them! They work seamlessly with Gmail.

Pros

The ease of use - being able to click the toggle to turn encryption on and off is wonderful!

Cons

Feedback from recipients of encrypted emails is that it doesn't work well with Outlook.

pb

patty b.

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

Product Review

Overall, very good experience as a user for inner-office use

Pros

Sending to others already using Virtru is easy and not an issue.

Cons

Some confusion on receiver end if have never used Virtru previously and receive my gmail in Virtru format.

AK

Alexis K.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Wonderful Feature

Pros

I love that I can send secure information with ease and not needed to worry about compromising personal information

Cons

Sometimes my messages sent end up in the receivers spam which adds to time wasted

CT

Colleen T.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Overall, we are happy with this software.

Pros

Virtru was easy to download and start using. You can easily encrypt your messages with the click of a button.

Cons

The software does often "glitch" and does not send messages. However, you can usually just click "send" again, and it will usually work the second time you click send.

Jm

Jezalyn m.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Great!

Pros

It is easy to use and keeps sensitive information secure.

Cons

There are no cons to this software that I have experience.

TD

Taraiya D.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Email File securely with Virtru

Pros

Easy to use, the ability to send communication within file exchange is nice.

Cons

The software is fine, I'm not sure if it is the software itself or network issue but sometimes depending on the file size, the decryption process make take a little longer than others.

TB

Taylor B.

Virtru & Protection

I have never experienced or have run into any issues using Virtru.

Pros

Cons

I have yet to find something I do not like about this!

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Excellent Software, Questionable Terms of Service

Pros

The software performed its job well using our Google Apps account and allowed us to sign sensitive HR emails and documents. We recently discovered, however, that there is a free version they offer that meets all our basic emailing needs.

Cons

You need to cancel with 30 days notice or they force you into another year of service. So if you're paying be careful with giving proper notice. We never received the "reminder" email and only received the actual invoice once the term expired. Kinda convenient, right? Because of this experience, I can only recommend their free solution.