Brightspace Reviews

Nathan Lentfer

Admin Experience with Brightspace

Reviewed 2015-06-26
Review Source: Software Advice

As an administrator at my previous employer, I appreciated the flexibility to change pretty much anything that I wanted in the system. The ability to change what things were called in the system were very nice. In the most recent version that I had used, Brightspace had taken steps to make some changes on how system settings were handled to update the interface. Previously, the interface of the DOME was one of the most painful parts of the system. I also appreciated the service desk that Brightspace has built up over the last three years. When I began using Brightspace, items could get lost very easily with the technical teams, but after some difficult issues, Brightspace has turned around a great deal, and updates to tickets were timely and applicable for a while before I stopped using it.

Candace Offman

As a student, Brightspace/D2L gave me the opportunity to take classes I couldn't fit in my schedule!

Reviewed 2018-07-21

I have gained the ability to take some higher-level courses online which are necessary for college admissions/success, which I could not fit into my senior year schedule due to being a busy student!I love that I can take these classes outside of school. I am currently taking four classes on Brightspace (Sociology, Psychology, Spanish III Semesters 1 & 2) because I could not fit them into my schedule for my senior year. In addition, each class comes with a "90 Day Plan" in the course materials, which helps keep me on track; I try to do more per day than what is on the plan, as I'm trying to get most of the workload finished before school starts again. This brings me to my next point: Working at my own speed! As evidenced by my taking four classes over the summer, I am an advanced student who is serious about her education. Brightspace gives students the flexibility of working at their own speed. Although a "90 Day Plan" is offered as a guideline, there are no daily requirements set by the software itself. As a high schooler, some days I'm just busy, plain and simple. I don't have to worry about fulfilling a daily requirement with Brightspace. Again, the flexibility of completing online courses at my own pace is invaluable to a busy student like myself.

Mavares Peters

Redefining the learning

Reviewed 2018-07-25

Create pleasant spaces for interaction among the participants. Technological advances in modern platforms seek, in one way or another, to redefine the concept of human learning. That is why platforms like Brightspace seek not only to manage all the most important aspects of educational management, ranging from the earliest ages to the most advanced students of high school, changing with them and adapting to their cognitive and emotional needs, accompanying them, but without imposing rhythms. And this is possible because Brightspace seeks to personalize learning, focusing them, in a very short time, effectively and in a very simple way. The versatility of the platform makes it absolutely compatible with the wide range of smart devices. The process of teaching is not limited to the simple act of speaking or explaining in the classroom, this process must be thought, planned, developed, executed and, more importantly, evaluated. Brightspace all those tasks, using their useful tools. As a direct consequence, we can observe a significant improvement in classroom work, which will be noticed, due to the amount of activities that users will begin to share, which will involve parents and tutors, who will be able to manage feedback processes in real time. with personal messages.

Jeremy West

Brightspace: a powerful, but not the most intuitive LMS

Reviewed 2015-07-02
Review Source: Software Advice

Brightspace puts a lot of options at the user's disposal. It is a powerful, robust LMS that can be customized to fit a wide variety of preferences. As an admin and as an instructor, I really appreciated that the system did not lock me in to one way of doing things. I also really like how much, especially in recent years, the Brightspace development team seeks for input from its users (and provides great forums for sharing ideas for improvements).

Brandon Verderber

I have used D2L almost daily for years and have never had an issue getting the info I need.

Reviewed 2018-01-17

I have loved using D2L for both my undergraduate and graduate studies. It has made submitting and keeping track of my assignments very easy. I love that it keeps everything on one easy to navigate website. I don't know what other options are out there, but I can't imagine anything being more user-friendly for students than this!

BrightSpace is amazing!

Reviewed 2018-01-20

My students (middle and high school) are able to become proficient in the navigation of the system in just a few days with minimal questions and challenges.BrightSpace includes all of the typical features of any LMS. However, D2L has improved the platform over time and has made the system more intuitive and user friendly. I also use CourseDen (the higher ed version of BrightSpace) for my college courses and the features are essentially the same with a few differences. However, the two platforms are enough alike that, once you know one system, learning to use the other one is a cinch. The features allow for very specific customization of assessments, discussions, and other features. I have built my own courses within the LMS, so I am familiar with a majority of the features and capabilities of the LMS.

Ben Schafer

Great for Online Learning

Reviewed 2018-11-20

As a student my expirience with Brightspace has been nothing but positive. As a college student, I have used D2L for 3 years. I have taken a handful of all online classes whose only presence was via Brightspace. Brightspace has created a really nice online environment for classes, you can host all your content there, provide quizzes/tests within Brightspace. Theres even a discussion board for talking with other class members or the instructor. I like being able to work at my own pace, which is what an online class provides, and Brightspace provides all the features to host a well developed online class.

Good LMS but not all-encompassing

Reviewed 2018-09-26

Brightspace by D2L was useful for implementing a live course's online material, but the program lacks important components that are necessary for online courses.This Learning Management System is GOOD but not the best. It is great that D2L and Brightspace have an easy-to-use portal that differentiates between student, instructor, and even TAs. However, the options that come with competitors like CANVAS are far superior...

Anonymous

A platform for learning with its own learning curve

Reviewed 2018-11-21

Brightspace has allowed our students to access course information online and in hybrid environments. The LMS is powerful and can produce quality courses that are highly customizable and interactive. I have used it for around six months now as an instructor and have noticed that while it is powerful, you might want to trial it out alongside a couple of other competitors to find one that fits you.I like the complex features that are offered by this LMS. Course creators can embed external sources, create several nested modules and access plenty of documentation. Users can also access content on nearly all browsers and operating systems.

Rose Jenkins

No more paper!

Reviewed 2015-03-25
Review Source: Software Advice

I like that I've been able to do away with collecting paper in most of my courses. I am also able to easily arrange course materials for my students to access. Depending on your course, the original setup can be intense, but it is very easy to copy the course over for a new semester of a different section. I enjoy being able to post grades and attendance in D2L. I love that I can grade a quiz by question. Sometimes, I need to only look at one question.

Jeff Borden

The support has been great. The tool itself is on par with others - not amazing but not bad at all.

Reviewed 2018-01-05

If the organization is centralized, D2L seems to be the best choice for an LMS that I know of (I've been working in this space a long time!). Our school needed a lot of flexibility and customization, as well as integration capability. They have a rich API layer that allowed us to create an "uber" system - a next-gen learning system that all appeared to be a single entity even though it was made up of multiple platforms.

Leslie Little

So Many Uses

Reviewed 2017-02-28

I use D2L daily not not use it in the typical fashion of teacher-learner. I use it as a place to store data (Physician lectures, journal reading links, PowerPoint's, etc.) for resident physicians. This is a great way to get info out and I can track each resident to see how they are progressing. I can send emails and messages individually or as groups. I can see login attempts, pages they have been to and how much time was spent. I really like the dropbox feature. This allows them to put specific 'assignments' in and it is time stamped and does not crowd my email. I can easily see the information they upload and I can leave comments. I highly recommendD2L. There is so much to offer!So many options for different uses.

Shickre Sabbagha

I use D2L as my primary LMS for my courses both online and on campus.

Reviewed 2015-03-28
Review Source: Software Advice

Format, structure, and ease of use in navigating the site. I like how it is easy to drag and drop files, and if a mistake is made, to erase the file. I also like the Dropbox feature and how students receive a confirmation they have successfully uploaded a file. Though other faculty may have not liked the change, I very much like how you can move through student discussion posts to read their responses. The menu on the side allowing us to click on posts and to see which ones we haven't read yet is a big help. (Please do not change the discussion board.)

Peter Woodbridge

Feature rich, but not intuitive, LMS

Reviewed 2018-11-27

The customer support team is excellent, providing very helpful advice and bug fixes almost at a whim! Whenever we've had a problem, Brightspace were they almost instantly to lend a hand. There are a huge list of features on offer, allowing for a wide variety of lessons and exercises be taught. The session in-activity is incredibly useful, we use this in shared-classrooms where its not guaranteed that the user will log-out when finished.

Neal Chambliss

Easy to use content and record keeping software for educational institutions.

Reviewed 2018-02-08

Use it for posting assignments, content resources and grades for students in a Mathematics class. Sometimes even use it for grading.The everything in one place aspect of it. This means fewer different logins and software platforms to keep up with, which means more focus on things that matter.

John Gair

Satisfied but disappointed that some advance features cost so much more to impliment.

Reviewed 2017-11-07
Review Source: Software Advice

Flexible and versatile. Provides many basic features that facilitate the learning of students in our K-12 DL school. Students and parents find it easy to use and teachers find it easy to provide quality content in their courses.

John Meir

BrightSpace (D2L) Review

Reviewed 2015-03-03
Review Source: Software Advice

Course management overall is relatively easy. The ability to administer assessments that are timed or not, set different parameters for students. Dropbox for student's homework submissions is easy to work with, although I really wish I could specify filename for submissions when downloaded. The new numbers added to the front of the filename that I can't remove automatically is a real pain.

Anonymous

Poor excuse for a modern LMS

Reviewed 2018-11-08

No benefits realized. Purely a frustrating experience having to use this LMS to manage my post-secondary classes.Nothing at all. The LMS has a LONG list of features but nearly all of them are poorly designed and frustrating to use. I have moved back to old solutions that I used before I was given this piece of software. Clearly no teachers with any experience were consulted in the design of this. There was a huge opportunity for D2L when they moved from their old solution to a new Cloud based one. They missed the opportunity

Jess Sloan

Love it

Reviewed 2018-10-11
Review Source: Software Advice

I love BrightSpace. My old school switched from another LMS that did not have near as many features as BrightSpace. I was happy to learn that my new school also uses BrightSpace.

Nathan Winters

Good experience with D2L as our ILP (LMS)

Reviewed 2015-03-09
Review Source: Software Advice

D2L is doing a great job of integrating modern technologies into their ILP (LMS). They are adding collaborative tools, video capturing tools, and multimedia interfaces very well. I've been an administrator of this LMS for about 3 years now and have been very impressed with the improvements each year.

Jessica Creason

Good from a student perspective

Reviewed 2018-08-11
Review Source: Software Advice

We switched to BrightSpace about a year ago when the company that owns cOllege went out of business. BS is way better than cOllege! It is much more up to date and you can do so much more with it. For example, I like the IM feature, and the app is pretty good.

Neal Chambliss

Mathematics Instructor

Reviewed 2017-08-08

It is easy to use, and students are pleased with it.I like that platform in that it has so much available from one login. Grading, student contact, administering assessments, and pretty much everything that one might possibly need all in one spot.

Jessica Jordan

Smooth Transition and Adaptable Interface

Reviewed 2018-09-04

Overall smooth transition with nicely organized rubric. My university was previously using Blackboard before switching to Brightspace. During the transition we were able to explore and train in the new Brightspace course shells. The menu organization and dashboard tools are wonderfully intuitive, and I can easily switch between multiple courses.

Anonymous

D2L Brightspace makes it really easy for me to do my online classes!

Reviewed 2017-11-07

I like how teachers can organize the different parts of the lesson for the week into different categories. Also, I love that you can sign up for text notifications for when new items are posted. It makes taking online classes so much easier!

Margaret Major

Reviewed 2016-11-22

Previously I have used Blackboard, Moodle, Desire2Learn, and Brightspace, and find Brightspace serves my needs.The Brightspace has excellent resources for learning to navigate the system. The tutorials are very useful.