Microsoft Visual Studio Logo

User ratings

4.6

2.4K
  • Likelihood to recommend8.78/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

It is one of the best if not the best development environment for almost every type of programming language. Especially if you want to program in any of Microsoft's proprietary programming languages.
I have had very good programming experience with this solution. The view and layout is nice and comfortable for when you have a lot to work with.
I love all of the out of the box capabilities, but also love how quickly you can add in great tools from others (like custom controls).
Before it didn't support python, and I write code in python, and I used to hate VS for this, but now with the new version of V2017 and VS2019. This problem is catered for.
Often the launch of the application is very slow, and due to bad logs, it can be difficult for me to find the problem that has arisen.
Beginners will definitely be intimidated by how hard learning everything is.

Microsoft Visual Studio users...

Sublime Text-logocaret

IntelliJ IDEA

Eclipse IDE-logocaret
+ 7

Eclipse IDE

How would you rate Microsoft Visual Studio?

2,452 reviews

Stefano D.

Ceo

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Very effective

Transcript

Stefano D.: Hi. I'm Stefano, I'm a small business owner. I give to Microsoft Visual Studio four out of...

Microsoft visual studio is awsome

Transcript

Praveen K.: Hey. My name is Praveen. I work as a web engineer for a banking domain. I rate four out of...

A Deep Dive into Microsoft's Visual Studio

My overall experience with Visual Studio's is a great one. I highly recommend the software to any developers that are looking to improve, clean, and deploy their coding projects. The software is pricy but very worth it. I personally use Visual Studio's as my main IDE when developing web apps for my clients. And strongly recommend it to anyone.

Pros

The below are the Pros for Visual Studio: *Great for developing Webapps and Xamarin apps *A very simple navigation feature. * Great customization features and can include third party extension as well. * Can create native apps for Android, iOS, and Windows in the same solution. *Advanced developers can use VS to build apps by using HTML, JavaScript, C#, .NET (Xamarin), and C++ etc

Cons

The below are the Cons for using Visual Studio: *Installation of updates can take a long time to do *Previously created projects may not be compatible with the new IDE version upon migrating from old VS to a newer version. *Can be very expensive when compared to other IDE's

The Best IDE

The experience has been amazing,

Pros

The autocomplete, and autofill features are a 'must have'. they cut out a lot of work for me. Especially if I want to change a variable name across all the files.

Cons

It's got quite a learning curve. The extensions are sometimes not effective.

Microsoft Visual Studio Review

My overall experience with Microsoft Visual Studio is good.

Pros

I like the shortcuts of Microsoft Visual Studio that save my time and allow me to write code faster. Also, I like that Microsoft Visual Studio has a dark mode option to save my eye when writing code for a long time.

Cons

Microsoft Visual Studio needs always updates which means it needs always the internet. Also, it requires some expertise to know how to install packages and modify the debugging process and the rendering process.

Know More about Microsoft visual studio

Well I love Microsoft visual studio because I used to have problems in creating website's and programs but when when I found it,it solved every thing,it is fast when using it,very easy to use,it is free to use,it alerts you in case of an error occurred and you clear it though it sometimes requires you to restart the computer,it is very good and easy in managing codes though I hate that easy advantage of it because you find someone who never used and have no idea on it can use it and that brings limited jobs to us people it that industry of software and programing but otherwise I greatly recommend it to any one to use it,am sure you will love it. Thanks

Pros

I liked its many features it has,the languages it provides in over 30 plus languages. It does not require much learn so its easy to use. Its free to use and it does many works for example: creating and managing codes It has many platform's in it

Cons

I hate it in debugging,sometimes it Struck's and requires you to restart the computer

Best platform for develop the products .

Sharing my genuine experience .... -My profession is software engineer and using VS for 7+ years and I am really happy using this platform. - I have developed more org products through this tool and I use and will use VS for development. - It is recommended to all developer to use this software to develop product because it is MS product and is always stable and secure.

Pros

- We can develop products in any programming language and any platform like web, desktop, game etc by this tool. - Easily use this tool and the debugging process is awesome. - All programming languages ​​are available in one tool. - Provided good intelligence so that we can write code faster and easier. - This most similar point is that Microsoft lunched open source platforms (such as the .NET Core programming language).

Cons

-The installation package size needs to be reduced as the size is approximately 7GB.

Trusty old faithful

I generally am a fan of using Visual Studio for my programming needs and over the years it has become speedier and more noble to get around large solutions. My colleagues are in a split between Visual Studio and using JetBrains Rider as their .NET IDE

Pros

After a steep learning curve over the years from a young junior to the role I am in now. I feel comfortable in writing my code in this IDE. Other colleagues are using JetBrains Rider as their IDE which I have tried and it all felt a bit strange and I end up going back to trusty old faithful of Visual Studio.

Cons

I can find Visual Studio a bit overwhelming to newcomers to programming with C# and .NET and I tend to recommend the younger brother code editor of Visual Studio Code to get started and move up to bigger brother Visual Studio when needed.

The gold standard development environments.

I have used VS for several years now, and each new iteration is more useful and impressive than the one before it. Even the free community version of the IDE is able to provide all the tools any developer may need, regardless of their skill level.

Pros

I first started using Visual Studio during my freshman year of college, and it has been the most important development tool in my arsenal ever since. The level of overall quality cannot be ignored; Everything from the beautiful and intuitive interface, to the plethora of convenient shortcuts and tools are enough to please any developer.

Cons

The installer for the program can be bulky and offers tons of bloat that is tedious to sift through. This is the tradeoff for having so many features, however.

So pleased

Pros

I use the Visual studio everyday . It makes me so pleased . It has so many extension in the latest version . It is so wonderful. It makes my work so easy for wring code

Cons

No other things that i I dislike most in this software. But the software can enrich its theme convention

IDE with great GUI and has best features which any IDE has to offer!!!

I used Visual studio for .Net application development using the .Net framework.

Pros

Code development using its auto-suggestion gives an upper hand to the coder, which reduces the time required to type the code. UI makes it interesting to work on the development.

Cons

The visual studio community version is huge, not suggested for lower-end specification desktops/laptops.

Microsoft Visual is a Must Have

Most excellent. Every business owner should take the time to use this software! It’s a must have and added so much to my business

Pros

It’s easy, efficient. I can communicate with other users and systems and it makes software deployments so simple

Cons

It honestly took me a little bit to get it all figured out

Fully feature loaded application for the develpoment

Visual Basic is a fantastic and professional programming language. It comes with a slew of features that make coding a breeze. Because this software has certain advanced capabilities, I believe we need have some programming language expertise before utilising it. If a newcomer begins coding using Visual Basic, he may believe that coding is really tough. As a result, I only advocate utilising Visual Basic if you have prior coding experience. Microsoft, on the other hand, provides a free version of this programme for students. This is a great chance for us to hone our talents using this programme. This is the best software for you if you are a programmer looking for software for your industry.

Pros

VS connects with the Microsoft Stack exceptionally nicely and swiftly. It works wonderfully for automating the flow and manipulation of data between internal and external sources, which I do largely with SSIS. Connecting to data sources is a breeze, as is adding additional DLLs (in my case, I use WinSCP with SFTP) and creating a process. My solutions' integrated development environment (IDE) has built-in drag-and-drop functions that perform typical actions, so you don't have to manually write everything. This allows for speedy creation and excellent reusability. Visual Studio is a tad clumsy, but it provides a lot of functionality. It's easy to set up and use, and it comes with its own set of tools for things like website construction.

Cons

When installing Visual Studio, you must first determine which extensions and plugins you require. You can install a lot of things using Visual Studio, but you must know what you're looking for and how to utilise it. Visual Studio, in comparison to lesser weight IDEs, takes a time to load at first due of its completeness and all it contains in. It also takes a long time to install and consumes a lot of disc space. This isn't a light item. Depending on what you're doing, it may take some time to process. It receives regular updates, but I don't think the little version changes are necessary, and I'm not sure what additional bug fixes or features they generally give. It's all right.

The good and the bad of Microsoft Visual Studio

Code maintenance, development of business applications, activities such as updating systems of the same company. As our company has its development department, we are based on .NET so we use this program, usually the projects we work with are developed in C#

Pros

I like that its installation is simple, unlike other development environments, Microsoft Visual Studio, it's just a matter of a few clicks and that's it, nothing else needs to be configured. Direct integration with GitHub is very useful for team projects, without the need to download extensions, the tool is already integrated, we just have to log in to our GitHub account and we can use it. Another...

Cons

I have had problems that the program stays in: "not responding". In many cases it closes by itself, I have a computer with good hardware characteristics, so I am surprised that this happens to me. The same thing happens to my development group. Another detail to keep in mind is that when compiling it usually takes longer than normal, and it even stops for a while, but then it responds without a problem,...

Visual Studio Functional and Extensible; Great for Integrating; Can be hard to troubleshoot

Visual Studio helps me complete my job by being a robust, extensible IDE. I can automate and integrate a lot of processes and manage data flow fairly easily and in a reproducible way. Some projects can take me around an hour at this point. A good portion of routine tasks are easy. Doing completely new-to-me tasks can take more research on how to implement, but it just depends if that's a VS thing or the coding language I'm using. Troubleshooting scripts inside of a package can be harder than scripting and debugging on another tool (that is build specifically for that coding language only), but it's such a versatile IDE that it makes up for it.

Pros

VS integrates extremely well and quickly with the Microsoft Stack. I use it to automate the flow and manipulation of data between internal and external sources, mostly with SSIS, and it works great. It is extremely easy to connect to data sources, fairly easy to add external DLLs (in my case I use WinSCP with SFTP), and easy to create a workflow. The IDE for my solutions comes with built-in, drag and...

Cons

When installing VS, you have to know what extensions and plugins you need. VS has a library and you can install a lot, but you have to know what you're after and how to use it. I would say that because of it's completeness and everything it packs in, Visual Studio takes a while to load initially compared to lighter weight IDEs. It also takes a long time to install (over 30 minutes), and uses a lot...

Microsoft Visual Studio...

I love Microsoft Visual studio for its powerful engine, across the operating systems development capabilities, easy support and the quite affordable licensing fee.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio is a very convenient and powerful application development software. You can easily create or edit and test a software using it. You can develop applications for all major ooerating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, IOS, etc with it. It supports all basic and advanced programming languages like C, C++, Python, JavaScript, PHP, etc. MS Visual Studio hosts very useful code...

Cons

As far as I have used Microsoft Visual Studio, it has no big problems, except that Nuget packaes sometimes encounter problems. Also the system becomes quite dull and slow when running it, which is obvious due to its huge size.

It was great, now I just think it's enough

We use it daily to maintain systems in windows, web, uwp and apps. But the tools make easy tasks difficult. For example, you have a Xamarin that never really looks finished, with a third-rate xaml design, uwp that seems to repeatedly disconnect the IDE so that you need to recompile the project to make simple changes, and a total abandonment of Visual Basic. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand that if you like the productivity of VB you will NEVER WANT the complexity of C#. VS seems to be moving in the direction of being harder rather than easier. VS is it good? YES. VS is it productive? No more. Solve the task? YES. Do you have fun with him? Not here.

Pros

In an environment that becomes familiar with use, you have access to several built-in functions, plus a bunch of solutions (some paid or third-party) that deliver advanced design, development, source code protection, and publishing capabilities. Microsoft's initiative to maintain the community version is very good.

Cons

With each new version the tool becomes more complex, rather than cleaner. The developer expects little cognitive overhead, expects to be able to hide repetitive boiler plate tasks when they don't need to be seen, expects it to be easy to internationalize the application. There are more and more features that the smaller company will never use, such as live share, the translation of uwp apps is VERY confusing, the windows forms design is terrible and doesn't fit right to HIDPI. Lots and lots of things you don't care about and things that you really miss never come. It's a contradiction to create AI helpers that copy your code to "make it easy", while you want it to be an easy-to-use tool that displays complexity ONLY if you need to.

Software Development Environment for High-Quality Software

Perfect for freelancers and one-person businesses, especially for websites and web-based applications. Reduce the amount of work your IT team has to do by purchasing lower-cost computers. Your library includes a variety of enhancements and modules that make it easier to manage the material. Simple user interface combined with feature-specific design.

Pros

We develop a variety of software types, including online applications, web services, web-based programs, mobile applications, and websites, all inside a single visual studio environment. During projects with a large number of deliverables, we can leverage Visual Studio's single installation to do a variety of activities. We can initiate debugging with a single click and proceed through each step to determine where and why the issues arise. We might easily add things like CS or HTML that we require. Additionally, it is simple to integrate with the database.

Cons

Its size is out of control, and it takes an inordinate amount of time to install. When transferring files from one application to another, project data is often corrupted, and errors are not unheard of in the process. It is vital that the sample file's permissions be changed so that anyone can write into it without being denied access.

Integrated Development Environment - Done Right

I was introduced to the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE in late 2013, and found myself immediately impressed by the automated markup - something I had never encountered before then, save for Borland products (at the time limited to Delphi). What made the interface all the more attractive, was the option of selecting a "theme", or background colour - although this may seem trivial, any developer who spent...

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio offers automated, visually-intuitive code markup, all the tools for development and debugging one could ever need, a comprehensive library of extensions and code bases, as well as support for most languages used in the industry - everything Microsoft Visual Studio provides is unprecedented in the field, and has changed the way we develop - indefinitely.

Cons

Although Microsoft Visual Studio offers a "Community Edition" that is free of charge, the commercial/enterprise licenses are quite expensive compared to inexpensive or even free IDEs available. As these alternative IDEs become more complex and offer more modern interfaces over time, Microsoft Visual Studio will have to lower it's price to accommodate small, adaptive teams of developers who lack the capital to invest in the full IDE package.

Microsoft Visual Studio

I have been using Microsoft Visual Studio from the beginning of my Software Engineering studies. It is the best programming software I have used. Also its huge online community is very useful to ask for help when solving a problem faced in Visual Studio.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio is the best option for working on writing, testing and developing a program or application. It is capable of carrying out complex and heavy programming. It fully supports all prominent programming languages like Java, Javascript, C, C++, Python etc. Ms Visual Studio assigns different colors to different blocks of code which makes it easy to keep track of your progress and find...

Cons

Its not easy to thaink of or find any mentioning worth lackings in such a sophisticated softwarr like this, but to mention one, it is a heavy program desiged to carryout complex programming, it consumes a lot of processing power and RAM memory of a computer which is a bit annoying for students using it of their personal computers.

A user friendly versatile tool for software programmers

We are AI based solutions provider and often our work is in python. So far all my modules are written with the help of VS code. It allows me to write code in javascript and java aswell. Configuring files and creating, altering jsons are easy. Before switching to VS code I always had problems of finding multiple language support and graceful code formatting within a short time. VS code has solved this problem.

Pros

Installation of third party tools, possibility of live code share session and support for several langauges are the most impactful features in my opinion. The product is also relatively easy to use only if you use it frequently have spent sometime to learn about the features like formatting, searching files, functions and text, resolving dependencies etc. Nevertheless it was easier to integrate the product with our business use case.

Cons

The product is somehow sometimes not easy to go around for example to search for files and to search for specific text inside all files is bit confusing, the interface sort of works the same way. Also when dealing with ASCII doc files or tabular form files, there are always 3rd party extensions that are required. Excel files are difficult to format (zig zag columns) but however they only be viewed in a user friendly way. Specifically for python there are sometimes problems with the kernal, even though the right kernal is selected, yet the code fails to run and restarting vs code with the right kernal helps. The same is true for running jupyter inside VS code.

The best IDE on the planet!

Absolutely fantastic experience ever since I started using Visual Studio. It has been a tool that I have relied upon to create projects such as websites, desktop applications, APIs as well as mobile applications. The latest iteration has the biggest range of features and premade project templates so far. All in all, highly recommended!

Pros

-The vast amount of features and facilities is really amazing. Visual Studio lets us build all types of apps and software, right from APIs to even embedded software. The amount of pre-created templates really does help as it creates a lot of the boilerplate code needed for applications and systems. -The dark mode theme is brilliant! -It doesn't take too much configuration to get it running, as long...

Cons

-Due to its powerful nature, Visual Studio is quite resource-heavy and does take a toll on power and laptop battery performance (unless of course you have a really powerful machine). It does use up a lot of RAM and hardware resources. -Another thing is that due to its complex nature, there are many features that may take time to learn and understand. There are just so many features that it can be fairly awkward to navigate and use at times. -Sometimes, Visual Studio does get glitchy and it is definitely common to see weird behavior at the most random of times.

The Standard for Windows programming

I basically use Visual Studio daily. I have no complaints other than I wish they had more customizability like it's little brother Visual Studio Code is getting and with time, Visual Studio Code just does what it's big brother does better. But yet, nothing can replace Visual Studio in my work flow and that won't be changing in the next years to come.

Pros

You can almost use/code in any language on the IDE, if you're missing features, you could look for extensions/plug-ings that add them, like DevExtreme or ReSharper. I mostly code in C# and the Community version for me works fine, but the Enterprise and Professional tiers are also really good. The IDE has been more open in the recent years and that has allowed for more straight updates than rather waiting...

Cons

Sometimes, extensions can be a little buggy. Azure Services, I would recommend a stable connection because it can get laggy. If you're going to use SQL Server in Visual Studio, you're better off downloading Azure Data Studio, because it is more versatile, strong, quicker and responsive than the options Visual Studio provides you. The community can cover you anything you need, but if you're looking for huge enterprise projects, you might want to invest on the paid options, but they can be expensive.

Programming with VISUAL STUDIO

Visual Basic is a great and professional software for programming. Lot of features are included in it for easy coding. I think we must have some knowledge about programming languages before using this software because this software has some advance features. If a beginner starts coding with Visual Basic first, he might be feel coding is very difficult. Therefore I recommend using Visual Basic only if you have some knowledge about coding. However Microsoft offers a free version of this software for students. This is a good opportunity to improve our skills with this software. If you are a programmer and looking for software for your industry, this is the best software that suits for you.

Pros

Visual studio is one of a best software that programmer need for his works. It supports many programming languages mainly used in programming these days including C, C++, C#, JAVA, Visual Basic, Python, HTML, CSS etc. This software is developed by Microsoft as an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). There are lots of software using for software development industry in these days. Visual Studio...

Cons

The most annoying thing that I see is the process we have to go through before starting GUI programming using C++ language. We have to change many settings and copy/paste some code parts before starting our codes. For beginners it is a confusing work as we have to go through many menus and change settings and pasting code parts. Coding area seems to be more complicated than that of other software....

A big chunk of Application for Python Testing

I found it an excellent tool and shows where the pared down VS Code gets its functionality from. It can do a lot if you have the laptop/PC with a fairly modern specification. For the work that I do in Python, it is on a par with PyCharm but has the ability to do a lot more than just work with Python. Most of my work with python is personal now that I have switched company but there will be scope here to help others out. My next challenge is to see how I can make use of this tool with Go.

Pros

I reinstalled this tool on my laptop to ensure the full process for any new user was understood. I wanted to see what VS community was like, compared to VS Code for Python coding that has been used for some time. The install whilst downloading is a great feature if you want to get on with life. As for me choosing the various Python related features means a chunky 8GB+ install file and if it can install...

Cons

The need for an MS Account I expect has a benefit but I do not see how. Anyone going to use this should make sure that they have a fairly modern PC. As like most Microsoft products they are aimed at utilising the potential from modern devices

The Gold Standard for IDEs

Started using visual studio because it was the only IDE a particular vendor had support for. Quickly tried to find more excuses to use it. The intellisense, code-folding and beautification defaults are much better and work much more consistently than any other IDE we've used. We use quite a number of different IDEs, but VS intellisense has been one of if not the biggest productivity enhancement...

Pros

Intellisense is off-the-charts fast. So quick, it can make coding feel like a video game. The most-widely-integrated IDE- plugins for everything. Compatibility between express and full visual studio makes it easy for full-fledged developers to work on same project/product with entry devs, interns, and even open-source.

Cons

While they have made some improvements here (w/regard to visual studio community edition), the full visual studio IDE doesn't run on linux (at least not without VM, wine or jumping through a lot of hoops).

Visual Studio has come a very long way since VB6

Overall, my experience with more recent versions of Visual Studio (using it for multiple languages and project types from APIs to Angular applications and even some work using third-party generators such as ngx-rocket) has been very pleasant. You don't have to worry about plugins always breaking or no longer being maintained like you do with most IntelliJ IDEs and the community seems to take commitment and quality very seriously when working with third-party extensions. As for Nugat and libraries hosted on GitHub, you can expect the quality and typical setbacks to be the same though.

Pros

- Improved search functionality that is on par with IntelliJ editors' search functionality. - Software hiccups are rare, whereas they used to be very common even in the recent versions. - Everything is nicely consolidated, you can select the language you're using at the start as well as the type of project, and you can even search for and pull libraries into your project from the internet without ever leaving the editor. - High quality themes, don't have to fix items that are the same color but were different colors in another theme like you do with IntelliJ themes. - Shortcuts and hotkeys have slowly been moving towards being similar to IntelliJ editors, which for me is a definite win, but for new users this wont make a difference.

Cons

- Occassionally locks up, forcing you to open Task Manager and abort the application, sometimes causing lost work. - Some features do take getting used to before appreciating them, i.e. some components of the Debug/Release manager and handling deployments, but once you understand how they work, you're in love with their usefulness. If you're coming from command line and config file debug and/or deployment, this isn't much of a con because you can imply most of the setting names, but figuring out what you can do through the IDE and what you have to do through files can be as annoying as finding the right IDE screen to change a setting.