All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Microsoft Visual Studio

Software shipping and building

Microsoft Visual Studio Reviews

Pros

IDE is very responsive and its best editor for c++ and C# visual studio intellisense is great help me alot during coding and code snippets are very useful.

Ali R.

Read the full review
I really like to have a beautiful coding environment so I like the clean interface. I also like being able to work in the terminal directly from the softwae.

Kelle S.

Read the full review

Cons

Often the launch of the application is very slow, and due to bad logs, it can be difficult for me to find the problem that has arisen.

Alex J.

Read the full review
There are no much cons to say, but sometimes the code compilation error messages are very misleading, leaving the developer uncertain about what the precise problem is.

YASITH C.

Read the full review
Visual Studio does have a robust debugging process, but when you do encounter an error often the codes are vague. However, it does show you the exact line where the error is triggered.

4.6

(2k)

1,258

1,972 reviews

The best Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

I enjoyed software development like a game throughout my experience of using Visual Studio for development of .Net applications for local and cloud environments.

Pros

It is the most featured Integrated Development Environment (IDE) with bulk of features. It is best choice for .Net developers for building powerful applications for local and cloud environments. Its functionality can also be further extended using plugins. It is also good for mobile application development. Its intellisense is the best among all.

Cons

It is heavy to operate. It occupies huge part of my disk space. It hangs sometime during operations. Lack of support to opensource languages.

Visual Studio Great for All Developers

It allows me to fix errors and rebuild so that I can complete projects. It is easy to use so that I can focus purely on projects. I have experienced the following benefits: 1. Increased UI enhancement through Razor Pages, and Web Applications, 2. Comes standard with Bootstrap 3 and can be increased to 4. 3. Several languages and frameworks are added when updates occur. Note: user must download update via tools within visual studio.

Pros

Visual studio allows me to create dynamic web applications and websites for my clients and projects. It allows for database creation, code development and UI development. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to develop websites and web applications.

Cons

Slow Boot up time, slow build times, memory hog, increased CPU use. Recommended: Core i7 CPU processor or greater with at least 8GB RAM or higher.

Most Complete IDE for Major System Development

I started developing real software solutions using Microsoft visual studio, Visual Basic to be precise. And I enjoyed the journey as I progressed along. So many handy features and quick tools to build anything you want. I have enjoyed my use of this product no doubt, only the learning curve was tough for me.

Pros

Visual studio is a holistic product. From the quick and easy connection to SQL server to the "intellisence" feature that completes codes for you in your preferred language, Visual studio is the right tool for industrial development.

Cons

The software is very expensive. Though there's a community edition for students and newbies to use for free, the pro version comes at a very high price.

Powerful IDE but memory hungry

I love to write code using the Visual Studio Integrated development environment (IDE) software. Visual Studio (IDE) is powerful but with great power comes great responsibility. That is where the software lacks. Its memory hungry and slows down the system after long use. The latest release version of the software is 2019 which is what I have been using for now. However, the most stable version was in 2017. It hardly crashed on me or made my system go to its knees. There are few kinds of editions available for this software like Developer edition, Enterprise edition, etc. that one can subscribe to depending on the need. However, the subscription cost is more than average compared to other IDEs.

Pros

a) It's feature-rich and provides strong and seamless integrations with several other products from the Microsoft family. b) One can develop any kind of application written using any kind of technology through this IDE be it .Net, Java, JavaScript, etc. c) The software is easily extensible through extensions that help one integrate third-party components easily. d) It has an intelligent auto-complete...

Cons

a) The IDE takes a long time to load and once it's fully active with the project solution loaded, it really takes up a lot of RAM making even a good and powerful system slow down in the long run. b) The IDE crashes occasionally, especially when you do a lot of debugging using it. However, when the app restarts after the crash, it does give you the option to recover the last saved work. So that's handy. c) The menu is way too vast and it's easy to get lost in them trying to find out a certain option. Thankfully there is a global search box for the app to quickly type and find the option you are looking for. d) The updates are released quite frequently. Since each update is large (> 500MB), its takes a while to update the software thereby interrupting your work.

Excellent app for development

Mainly great experience using the IDE for work, sometimes is weird because the verbosity of the errors are not clear.

Pros

I've been using visual studio for around 10 years, it's the best for csharp programming and also for other languages like nodejs or even python. the linter is great, the way to scaffold the projects

Cons

Denpending on your necessities could result expense, for sample as developer I usually use the professional version, but when I need to architect a solution, I need to change to the enterprise version because there is no support the UML diagrams and it cost around 20ish USD more

Visual Studio for Developers

For me using this daily its a perfect match for someone is a developer and trying to find a software which is easily compatible for any sort of developing environment.

Pros

The compatibility with all sort of extensions and programming languages is amazing .You could be a python developer or a javascript developer vistual studio is very much greate for you.

Cons

I don't think there is a reason for someone to not like this software if I could think of a reason then someone could say that this software is for developer who are somewhat experienced.

Complex coding platform that is very useful if learned throughoutly

Good software that is very useful given enough time to learn.

Pros

Ability to point out improvements to existing codes. A lot of add-on that support many different languages. I used this in coding C++ & C# and has little to no issue. Clean interface.

Cons

Steep learning curve to use the software. It takes time to get use to this compared to eclipse. There need to be better way to search for answers on the net about visual studio.

I don't know how I lived before Visual Studio

A pleasure wrapped in a dream. I've used it now for 6 months and have deployed react apps, worked on a vuejs application and everything was so simple and centered. It's been awesome.

Pros

1. It's free. 2. It integrates a terminal in the editor 3. It has flawless code coloring for any language or library there is. 4. You can open multiple terminals 5. It manages your repo

Cons

Nothing, there is nothing that I don't like, I don't like that it doesn't write code for me aside from that I literally am dumbfounded at how I lived without it.

Good tool in terms of ease of use.

Above all the pros and cons,I enjoy a lot using this tool which helped me in many aspects.I feel like this tool with better costumer support will be so far the best tool in this category.

Pros

It is a unique tool which helps us to achieve and implement our idea to reality and also good value for money.It's interface also looks very good.

Cons

As far as concerned to me I feel like costumer support in this visual studio is not up to the mark as expected.It is average,not pretty good.

For a relative neophyte, useful

Overall, I've enjoyed using Visual Studio (in my case, with Python scripting) and would recommend it to some other tools. At the same time, Notepad++ makes a compelling counter-argument.

Pros

Microsoft has come a long way in terms of UX. While understandably complicated given the tasks being thrown at it, it's relatively simple to add in plugins, implement source control, and use for ad-hoc projects.

Cons

In my experience, getting it to play nice with typical corporate IT structures can be challenging. Modules/plugins may not work due to insufficient permissions, which can be quite frustrating, particularly as it's not readily apparent.

The best IDE on the planet!

Absolutely fantastic experience ever since I started using Visual Studio. It has been a tool that I have relied upon to create projects such as websites, desktop applications, APIs as well as mobile applications. The latest iteration has the biggest range of features and premade project templates so far. All in all, highly recommended!

Pros

-The vast amount of features and facilities is really amazing. Visual Studio lets us build all types of apps and software, right from APIs to even embedded software. The amount of pre-created templates really does help as it creates a lot of the boilerplate code needed for applications and systems. -The dark mode theme is brilliant! -It doesn't take too much configuration to get it running, as long...

Cons

-Due to its powerful nature, Visual Studio is quite resource-heavy and does take a toll on power and laptop battery performance (unless of course you have a really powerful machine). It does use up a lot of RAM and hardware resources. -Another thing is that due to its complex nature, there are many features that may take time to learn and understand. There are just so many features that it can be fairly awkward to navigate and use at times. -Sometimes, Visual Studio does get glitchy and it is definitely common to see weird behavior at the most random of times.

The Standard for Windows programming

I basically use Visual Studio daily. I have no complaints other than I wish they had more customizability like it's little brother Visual Studio Code is getting and with time, Visual Studio Code just does what it's big brother does better. But yet, nothing can replace Visual Studio in my work flow and that won't be changing in the next years to come.

Pros

You can almost use/code in any language on the IDE, if you're missing features, you could look for extensions/plug-ings that add them, like DevExtreme or ReSharper. I mostly code in C# and the Community version for me works fine, but the Enterprise and Professional tiers are also really good. The IDE has been more open in the recent years and that has allowed for more straight updates than rather waiting...

Cons

Sometimes, extensions can be a little buggy. Azure Services, I would recommend a stable connection because it can get laggy. If you're going to use SQL Server in Visual Studio, you're better off downloading Azure Data Studio, because it is more versatile, strong, quicker and responsive than the options Visual Studio provides you. The community can cover you anything you need, but if you're looking for huge enterprise projects, you might want to invest on the paid options, but they can be expensive.

Programming with VISUAL STUDIO

Visual Basic is a great and professional software for programming. Lot of features are included in it for easy coding. I think we must have some knowledge about programming languages before using this software because this software has some advance features. If a beginner starts coding with Visual Basic first, he might be feel coding is very difficult. Therefore I recommend using Visual Basic only if you have some knowledge about coding. However Microsoft offers a free version of this software for students. This is a good opportunity to improve our skills with this software. If you are a programmer and looking for software for your industry, this is the best software that suits for you.

Pros

Visual studio is one of a best software that programmer need for his works. It supports many programming languages mainly used in programming these days including C, C++, C#, JAVA, Visual Basic, Python, HTML, CSS etc. This software is developed by Microsoft as an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). There are lots of software using for software development industry in these days. Visual Studio...

Cons

The most annoying thing that I see is the process we have to go through before starting GUI programming using C++ language. We have to change many settings and copy/paste some code parts before starting our codes. For beginners it is a confusing work as we have to go through many menus and change settings and pasting code parts. Coding area seems to be more complicated than that of other software....

A big chunk of Application for Python Testing

I found it an excellent tool and shows where the pared down VS Code gets its functionality from. It can do a lot if you have the laptop/PC with a fairly modern specification. For the work that I do in Python, it is on a par with PyCharm but has the ability to do a lot more than just work with Python. Most of my work with python is personal now that I have switched company but there will be scope here to help others out. My next challenge is to see how I can make use of this tool with Go.

Pros

I reinstalled this tool on my laptop to ensure the full process for any new user was understood. I wanted to see what VS community was like, compared to VS Code for Python coding that has been used for some time. The install whilst downloading is a great feature if you want to get on with life. As for me choosing the various Python related features means a chunky 8GB+ install file and if it can install...

Cons

The need for an MS Account I expect has a benefit but I do not see how. Anyone going to use this should make sure that they have a fairly modern PC. As like most Microsoft products they are aimed at utilising the potential from modern devices

The Gold Standard for IDEs

Started using visual studio because it was the only IDE a particular vendor had support for. Quickly tried to find more excuses to use it. The intellisense, code-folding and beautification defaults are much better and work much more consistently than any other IDE we've used. We use quite a number of different IDEs, but VS intellisense has been one of if not the biggest productivity enhancement...

Pros

Intellisense is off-the-charts fast. So quick, it can make coding feel like a video game. The most-widely-integrated IDE- plugins for everything. Compatibility between express and full visual studio makes it easy for full-fledged developers to work on same project/product with entry devs, interns, and even open-source.

Cons

While they have made some improvements here (w/regard to visual studio community edition), the full visual studio IDE doesn't run on linux (at least not without VM, wine or jumping through a lot of hoops).

Visual Studio has come a very long way since VB6

Overall, my experience with more recent versions of Visual Studio (using it for multiple languages and project types from APIs to Angular applications and even some work using third-party generators such as ngx-rocket) has been very pleasant. You don't have to worry about plugins always breaking or no longer being maintained like you do with most IntelliJ IDEs and the community seems to take commitment and quality very seriously when working with third-party extensions. As for Nugat and libraries hosted on GitHub, you can expect the quality and typical setbacks to be the same though.

Pros

- Improved search functionality that is on par with IntelliJ editors' search functionality. - Software hiccups are rare, whereas they used to be very common even in the recent versions. - Everything is nicely consolidated, you can select the language you're using at the start as well as the type of project, and you can even search for and pull libraries into your project from the internet without ever leaving the editor. - High quality themes, don't have to fix items that are the same color but were different colors in another theme like you do with IntelliJ themes. - Shortcuts and hotkeys have slowly been moving towards being similar to IntelliJ editors, which for me is a definite win, but for new users this wont make a difference.

Cons

- Occassionally locks up, forcing you to open Task Manager and abort the application, sometimes causing lost work. - Some features do take getting used to before appreciating them, i.e. some components of the Debug/Release manager and handling deployments, but once you understand how they work, you're in love with their usefulness. If you're coming from command line and config file debug and/or deployment, this isn't much of a con because you can imply most of the setting names, but figuring out what you can do through the IDE and what you have to do through files can be as annoying as finding the right IDE screen to change a setting.

Couldn't have done it without you, VS

I do everything from coding, merging, publishing, you name it. As I stated before, I absolutely could not do my job properly without it; it could stand to improve performance-wise, but the benefits outweigh these problems by a mile.

Pros

By far the best feature in Visual Studio is IntelliSense; writing code becomes a breeze when you can just tab your way through entire lines, making use of the autocomplete, the smart naming of variables and methods. Having learned .NET as my first programming language, Visual Studio was there with me all the way, holding my hand, making things easier for me. When dealing with a myriad of configuration...

Cons

Visual Studio is a heavy application; it really takes a toll on RAM memory and CPU, which makes it impossible to have two instances open at the same time (something very common for me at least). I end up having one in Visual Studio and another on VS Code. Takes quite a while to boot up also. When building a big solution, it eats up all my resources and essentially blocks my PC until it finishes. When publishing databases and errors occur, the logs are really poor and make it hard to find the problems.

The best most customizable development environment!

My favorite development environment

Pros

VS code is the gold standard of IDEs and development environments. Aside from being a terrific text editor with features and third-party libraries like syntax highlighting, there is a big community of developers who offer modifications to make your workflow easy. It has in-build GitHub source control, ease of changing from one language interpreter to another, numerous linters and debuggers, fully functional terminal and endless plugins like live servers, deployment pipelines, etc. VS code can basically do anything and furthermore be customized to do even more. It allows you to write code efficiently, effectively and reliably and synchronize with all your other development tools.

Cons

Very little, though configurations for cross-language features like indentation from one language to another can seem unintuitive. There are occasional times updates and features can be dropped from one update to another, but the features are frequently addressed and bugs quickly resolved.

Visual Studio Review

I have been mostly using this program for student purposes. I study Computer Technologies and I needed a software where to code my programs and one lecturer show me VS when I was for the second year, and since then I do not want to use another program for developing software. I just enjoy the work with VS - it brings me happiness and comfort when I work with it. I pretty recommend it, because it is worth program, it has free versions, which are perfect for juniors, and it is very powerful though, also it is with very pretty and intuitive design and the programs makes you feel comfortable when working with it.

Pros

1. It is very easy to install. 2. It supports a variety of programming languages you can use in your projects - from desktop Applications, to Web Applications, C based programes and much more. 3. I like how tabs and panels are organized - everything is grouped and you can easily find what you want. 4. There is an entire search engine, which searches all the functionalities of Visual Studio, in case...

Cons

For my purposes I haven't experience any difficulties or problems with the program, in order to have any negative oppinion for the program.

Best Coding Software for "Real" development work!

I've started coding with Visual Studio from 2014 - 2015. Between this time our university offers us the 2012 version. So we have used to it. When first time I familiar with Visual Studio, It was difficult because there is a lot of options and a lot of features to select. but day by day I'm used to Visual Studio 2012 version and I have realized It's not difficult to familiar that I felt because of there...

Pros

Visual Studio has a lot of features. The first thing that I'm like is ease of use. And also it's support for multi-language support. When I'm developing a completed project with front-end and back-end I'm able to use both of languages in Visual Studio. So visual studio has full stack development capabilities. Integrated with the database is easy because structured are predefined and we can implementations...

Cons

Users have to spend high cost for Enterprise License (vs Professional) Too many version to select before use like Enterprise, Community, Professional, Ultimate, etc. Memory and CPU consumption may be high sometimes. Officially came up with basics themes.

First Rate IDE

The biggest benefit I get from Visual Studio is the ease of getting a new project up and running. This is a flagship project for Microsoft and it's apparent because they continually find ways to make it more useful which translates to quicker, more efficient code and project delivery. I would be crippled in my day to day responsibilities without it.

Pros

I've used various flavors of Eclipse and IntelliJ on Java projects but I look forward to working in .NET because in my opinion, Visual Studio is a superior IDE. There are so many great features that it's impossible to enumerate them all but some of them I like most are: 1- Projects can be cleanly contained within solutions (a feature Java IDEs don't support) 2- Cleanly integrates with NuGet for package...

Cons

There's really not much to dislike about Visual Studio. It has so many features that it can be overwhelming knowing where everything is and how to make the best use of them. But unlike many other IDEs, I feel like Visual Studio is the most intuitive from that perspective too.

12 years of Visual Studio and Still love it

A powerful tool from Microsoft. It's foothold on the code development market is strong and will probably stay strong for a very long time. There are lot of forums and discussion sites dedicated to Visual Studio so learning VS means you have access to lots of resources. People have built their career on this tool so I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Pros

I have been using Microsoft visual Studio for past 10 years plus and it just keeps getting better. It is one of the most advanced product from Microsoft and it is very well known throughout the Engineering industry, - Code writing and storage I use it on a daily basis for development of code in C, C++ and C#. The IDE is extremely strong and full of useful libraries. It has lot of features that aids...

Cons

I don't see many cons of Visual Studio except, - Price It is a powerful tool so of course getting multiple licenses will be pricey. - Error codes it could do a lot better in analyzing the source code and explaining what the error is. The error are pretty vague and one would need some learning curve to understand what is wrong - High load on the system Visual studio is big, massive and will require some powerful machine in order to not feel like the computer is lagging. Usually I shut off all my applications if I am working on VS.

It just gets better and better

I started coding with Visual Studio 2005 and now work on a daily basis on 2012, 2015 and 2017. What I have experienced with Visual Studio is consistency and stability. Each new version looks and functions pretty much the same, so there's no real learning curve each time you upgrade(If you know how to use 2005, you will have no trouble with 2017 or later versions). Over the years, debugging performance has also improved, which is another plus for me. From 2015, Team services connects quite nicely as well and the actual loading of Visual Studio for the first time has improved greatly over the years.

Pros

Since 2007, I have used Visual Studio for all of my app development. It is indeed the best tool I have ever come across. Possibilities are endless, from legacy WinForms apps to Web Apps and services, Visual Studio is able to provide you with an easy to use, stable and reliable platform to build your apps on. I am a C# developer who uses it every single day. Built-in features like code-completion and...

Cons

For certain project types, certain versions of Visual Studio work best, so I often switch between 2012, 2015 and 2017. I found that 2012 works nicely with older(.NET Framework 4 and below), 2015 for all recent apps, while 2017 works better if you need to debug Azure Websites. Other than that, the IDE has stayed pretty much the same, which is awesome. Nuget packaes sometimes have issues, but I don't use them that often, so I am not really affected negatively by that. The initial install of Visual Studio 2015 and above are web installers, which takes even longer than older versions, so I dread new installs, but after the install, all is good.

Best software for Developers

Visual Studio is considered as Microsoft’s contribution to the open source world and they have once again delivered exactly what their customers want. I am someone who isn’t an expert in coding and I had used a couple of different IDEs previously. The process of using a new IDE is all too similar. In the beginning, you’re very uncomfortable not knowing what function is placed where in the software and in the next few days, you start to get a hang of it but my experience with the visual studio was completely different. I was expecting the same confusion as I started using it but everything in the software was so user-friendly. I immediately felt like as if I had used this software before and I knew where all the basic functionalities were.

Pros

Microsoft visual studio is developing software which is one of the most fully featured IDE right now in the market. It is preferred by developers from all over the world and has the ability to create all kinds of computer programs, websites and mobile apps. Name: Visual Studio Developers: Microsoft Written in: C++ & C# Operating System: Windows 7 or later Type: Integrated Development Environment License: Freemium It is a fantastic IDE that simplifies the work of the developer and it helps save a lot of time. It is greatly appreciated for the performance of its Debugging and IntelliSense tool. There are a lot of extensions available that improve the features of visual studio.

Cons

The code compilation error messages are sometimes very misleading that leaves the developer unsure of what the exact issue is. The errors are shown before and after the lines which can cost a lot of time and attention of the developer. Another con would be how expensive the software is compared to its competitors who provide similar services for a way lower price.

I use Visual Studio to teach programming to beginners

I have been using Visual Studio for close to 10 years. It is the best IDE for working with Microsoft languages. It is also very robust and beyond educational environment, I have also used it in a professional setting as a software engineer. In my opinion this program is well suited for both use cases (education and workplace). While there are some significant issues with the Mac version, overall just making the IDE cross-platform is a wonderful improvement because it allows my mac students to use it outside lab sessions. Overall I am happy with this product and will continue using it in the future.

Pros

I am currently using VS 2019 as an instructional tool at a university to teach programming to beginners. These are the pros: * Cross platform versions for PC and Mac users * Many compiled languages to choose from (I use C#); I feel compiled language is easier to learn because of the immediate feedback that you see in the UI * Having many features within one IDE is good for beginners as students can gradually move from console apps to more advanced programs as they acquire more skills, but without having to learn a new IDE

Cons

During instructional lab sessions I have encountered a few issues, primarily with the Mac version of Visual Studio, and the following are the most significant cons so far: * From a beginner perspective the installation process can be challenging because there are many options to choose from (some of the students worked through these independently through trial and error). * The Mac version of VS2019...

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.